PDA

View Full Version : Please, Flatpicker.....

Tony Santiago
05-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Delete

nonc
05-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Reasonable post.

inheavensince07
05-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Delete
Tony I do kind of wish you would have kept that up here in this forum .. One thing I have noticed since the inception of RPB 's forum way back in 07 was the inability to look at other perspectives .. I feel like the moderators run things like "the way they feel it should be" I have been critical of TFC management pre Liewike era for a long time and it always left me in hot water with RBP "brass" .

I love this group for what they do for the team and support is pretty much second to none but I for one really want to say this group should be more inclusive of other opinions and perspectives. It would go a long way .. I would think that some of the key players have grown up to that awareness but I still believe that this group still hinges on a few Mod's that think their way or hwy .. This is the Top TFC supporter group lets maybe allow other POV's to make it even better ..

Peace and love

Abou Sky
05-04-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't know if Tony is such a prickly jackass in real life, but his tone when writing leaves something to be desired.

TBH I haven't really given it much thought until last night, but drums should probably sound more like war drums. Just a big, fat loud BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

I don't think that Flatpickers drumming has been bad, I don't even think that would make it 'better' but it would be different.

That said, I don't know how to drum and am 100% sure that I can't do better.

The same goes for a lot of things.
Do I think Pete could be a better Capo? Ya, but I am not willing to do it and if I were I would likely not do better.
Do I think that tailgates should have a keg at them? Of course, but I am not willing to do the work to get a license etc.
Do I think that we could use a few volunteers up top in 112 to help with getting chants carried through the section? Yes, but I am not volunteering for it (although if others would, I would, I just don't want to be singing alone)

Anyway, Tony, maybe if you were to
A. not be a dick to my friends
B. actually offer up something constructive like 'hey, I've been drumming for 20 years, let me help you'

People would be a little more receptive.

Tony Santiago
05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't know if Tony is such a prickly jackass in real life, but his tone when writing leaves something to be desired.

TBH I haven't really given it much thought until last night, but drums should probably sound more like war drums. Just a big, fat loud BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

I don't think that Flatpickers drumming has been bad, I don't even think that would make it 'better' but it would be different.

Do I think Pete could be a better Capo? Ya, but I am not willing to do it and if I were I would likely not do better.
Do I think that tailgates should have a keg at them? Of course, but I am not willing to do the work to get a license etc.
Do I think that we could use a few volunteers up top in 112 to help with getting chants carried through the section? Yes, but I am not volunteering for it (although if others would, I would, I just don't want to be singing alone)

B. actually offer up something constructive like 'hey, I've been drumming for 20 years, let me help you'

Who's being the dick? You must have read my post, so you would be aware there was nothing dickish about it. Why must you make stuff up? Who are you supposed to be? People are constantly sarcastic assholes on this site, so, once again it appears that only a select few have the right (once again, I wasn't rude, angry, sarcastic or any of those things). The point of my post was not to make people feel good about themselves, it's to try and improve something that needs it....sorry if you and your friends are easily offended.

I did offer constructive criticism. I'm not a drummer, but the point of going to soccer games is not to look for the next Neil Peart. My suggestions were very simple and clear.

I'm not sure why my personality is the issue. My post was fine. If the truth hurts, so be it. If you have a problem with your ego getting in the way of right and wrong, well, that's your problem. I'm certainly not prickly in "real life" but I have no problem looking someone in the eyes and being honest. If you don't like honesty, so be it. I've found that people sometimes feel hurt, or angry, but in the end they know that they're getting an unvarnished opinion.

MartinUtd
05-04-2014, 12:14 PM
haha, Neil Peart.

Was somebody trying to mimic his crazy fills on the big drum?

TorontoGooner
05-04-2014, 01:08 PM

Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. I actually thought the original post was very well written.

Tony Santiago
05-04-2014, 03:21 PM
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. I actually thought the original post was very well written.

Thanks. I'll give a brief summary of what my point was.

Drumming is a real responsibility. If you want to do it, do it decisively. Hammer home beats, or lead passionately. There is no room for experimentation or practice. People always say, "If you know how to drum, do it". Well, I don't know how to drum, but clearly the guy who is drumming for as many people as he can get to hear him doesn't know how to drum either...so, stop it. Stop trying to add flair and drum rolls and stuff like that. Just pound the standard beat, that's all you need to do. At the moment it just doesn't sound good at all.

I used O Canada as an example. Suddenly about 3/4 of the way through the anthem he starts up, joining mid verse. Then after about 10 beats he ups the tempo...during the national anthem. I would say do it the whole time or don't do it at all. Also, don't feel you need to add your personal touch the national anthem. I personally didn't like that and found it strange. This is what happens all game long. In an out, switching beats and rhythm all the time for no apparent reason and adding flair that just leads to people being thrown off.

I feel it's something that is important. BMO field game day isn't a place to work on your drum skills. If you don't have drum skills just help keep the beat. I personally don't like hearing a droning beat that isn't really doing anything other than entertaining the guy who is holding the drum sticks.

If I'm jerk for saying something about the drumming, hey, such is life. I think it needs work.

trane
05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Holly crap. This is what we worry about now????????

Tony Santiago
05-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Holly crap. This is what we worry about now????????

You can worry about whatever you want. I think bad drumming in year 8 is an issue as it effects the atmosphere. Not sure why you needed to add your comment.

Doucet3
05-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Why is it ever time I see a post involving Tony it's always filled with either: hate, dead end critisim, and drama it's always negative with Tony I find seems like you like to wind people up and are very defensively reactive to people; like your always trying to stir the pot.

with that being said I didn't get to read your post this opinion it based on previous interactions. That dosnt mean your wrong or a troll I've seen you make valid points before just seems like your always ... aggressive? Know it all esk? Lol I don't really know but it seems like the way your word it isn't the best way lol. Let's share the love were all here for one cause. Now tony if you disagree with me, that's fair and your opinion I just thought I'd voice my opinion ahha

Red CB Toronto
05-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Can we all just along, please no one be so negative.

Shakes McQueen
05-04-2014, 07:45 PM
The OP has been deleted (I guess by Tony himself?), and the rest of the posts are primarily criticizing him for the way he carries himself, not discussing any actual issue or point.

Thread closed - because it's my way or the highway! Yeehaw!

Phil
05-05-2014, 07:55 AM
I will post this up - please forgive me for posting in a closed thread - but first off, Flatpicker wasn't on drums.

I do know that we had a brutal time getting FYR and Parky working well together becase of sound issues. Parky couldn't get in sync with Pete, Usector were without Bobby on their stand and it switched up quite a lot. Parky came down and the half pretty frustrated because he was either ahead of the chants or behind them on the drums.

It was one of those games where the spread between the stand and the drum was a issue, no mid capo I assume.

Seeing that the OP has deleted the original post, no need to keep it open.