PDA

View Full Version : Tottenham friendly July 23

Pages : [1] 2

RoyalRed
04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Just got the email. Presale April 24-28 for your seats if you're SSH, and then April 29 to get additional.

Who the eff is going to watch this???

Tottenham ain't what she used to be, and this reeks of the meaningless cash grab to me.

Thoughts?

ExiledRed
04-22-2014, 02:57 PM
You mean the Tottenham thats sixth in the EPL right now?

Remind me what they used to be again?

RoyalRed
04-22-2014, 02:58 PM
You mean the Tottenham thats sixth in the EPL right now?

Remind me what they used to be again?

Hahaha. Come on. I'm talking about the Tottenham that used to run for the top four and played exciting football (or was that just Bale?).

Anyway, back on topic, I do think this is fucking annoying, TFC-wise: this friendly will be played three days before we play one of the toughest conference opponents - Sporting KC - who are riding the top of the table right now.

Canary10
04-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Maybe Soldado and Gilberto can compare notes? Ha ha.

OgtheDim
04-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Cheer up....we have a definite date for when the pitch has to be good by. :)

molenshtain
04-22-2014, 03:12 PM
Not going to this. I get that the club is obligated to schedule these by the league but the only way we can get the message through to the league that we don't want these is to not go. they'll stop eventually. Just have to treat these like they never happen.

Yohan
04-22-2014, 03:14 PM
this friendly is likely part of Defoe's transfer deal

ExiledRed
04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Not going to this. I get that the club is obligated to schedule these by the league but the only way we can get the message through to the league that we don't want these is to not go. they'll stop eventually. Just have to treat these like they never happen.

They wont stop, because we wont stop filling the seats. If we dont go, Tottenham fans will go as will a bunch of people who dont really follow the team, looking for a spectacle.

Everybody should have demanded a refund after the Liverpool game. Paying top dollar to watch both teams trot out 22 guys in a no sub limit, training exercise was abhorrent.

Pint
04-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Not going to go but not as upset about this as previous because at least we get some utility out of this (part of defoe deal as yohan stated above). We will get Roma again a couple times in the next few years as part of the Bradley deal as well.

MLSE can get people to spend money at BMO who would other wise not set foot, this game ain't for us.

MartinUtd
04-22-2014, 04:35 PM
At least it's not Newell's Old Boys.

TorontoGooner
04-22-2014, 04:59 PM
[mod delete - this post was stirring things up]

Yohan
04-22-2014, 05:06 PM
keep the non TFC related rivalry crap out of this forum

there are many Spurs/TFC supporters on this forum

Red CB Toronto
04-22-2014, 05:51 PM
If you are a TFC supporter, how cool will it be to see JD take on his former club from Northeast London. I always enjoy these friendlies, how could you not enjoy seeing the Reds take the pitch.

Pookie
04-22-2014, 05:54 PM

MLS franchise operators keep 50% of all MLS gate receipts. The rest gets shared with the league.

They keep 100% of all gate receipts from friendlies.

A half full BMO nets MLSE the same revenue. The message doesn't need to go to the league. This is a cash grab plain and simple. Just hope no one gets injured.

glaze
04-22-2014, 06:08 PM
"get used to it" - kevin payne

Klinsmann
04-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Hopefully we can see Konopka and Bendik both get some playing time at this game

RoyalRed
04-22-2014, 06:38 PM
If you are a TFC supporter, how cool will it be to see JD take on his former club from Northeast London. I always enjoy these friendlies, how could you not enjoy seeing the Reds take the pitch.

And there you have it - between this type of sentiment and the casual "oh shit, Tottenham's in town, let's go see" tourism, these friendlies won't stop.

I would much sooner go watch Chelsea play another world-class club in a friendly than this sort of thing. The United-Celtic game at Rogers Centre type thing.

T-boy
04-22-2014, 06:59 PM
This is a game if you are interesting in seeing Spurs, you will go, if not, you won't. Simple as that.

I haven't been to the last few TFC friendlies (I won't even remember who they were against?!). I think last I went to was Real Madrid.

Spurs is my fathers team, and I've always followed them a little just because of his interested, so I might actually go to this game just because of that. Any other Premiership teams that aren't one of the top 4 (plus Man U) wouldn't interested me as I have no affiliation with them at all. Spurs at least holds some personal interest for me.

TorontoGooner
04-22-2014, 07:33 PM
[mod delete - this post was stirring things up]

Really??!!

TorontoGooner
04-22-2014, 07:34 PM
keep the non TFC related rivalry crap out of this forum

there are many Spurs/TFC supporters on this forum

"Crap". Sorry for showing my passion mate ;)

greatwhitenorf
04-22-2014, 11:22 PM
You don't like it, don't go. It's not worth complaining about. This game is all about behind-the-scenes backscratching.

Leiweke was connected, via AEG, to Spurs stadium dealings not long ago. MLSE are now helping Spurs sort out commercial details of their new stadium project. Word is that Spurs new ground will be home to London's incoming NFL franchise and, since Wembley can't work long term for a full NFL season, is being re-designed by architects Populous to expand capacity above 65,000 and accommodate both sports.

The payback for MLSE is that a grateful NFL swings a franchise into Toronto.

I'm a Spurs fan but I'm not going apeshit about seeing them. If they try to tag us with a heavy ticket price, I can give it a miss. I'd rather use the money to pay a scalper for an Elbow concert ticket.

Spurs've got some useful players that won't be at the World Cup - Eriksen, Sigurdsson, Adebayor - so they'll get a decent run out. Their academy has produced two players - Nabil Bentaleb, 19, and Harry Kane, 20 - who are now regular starters and it'll be good to see them as well. But a big chunk of the squad is involved in the World Cup so we're not likely to see much of their best players, which would be par for the course for any top side visiting here in a World Cup year. We'll be cheering for laundry.

I've enjoyed these games in the past. The Real Madrid visit was truly a treat. That was lively and full of skill and worth every penny. But I found interesting moments and players to watch when Villa or West Ham or Bolton were here.

Phil
04-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Meh. Its a game we knew was coming, its part of the Defoe deal.

Those who want to go - enjoy! Great way to see two teams you like at a place like BMO field.

If you don't want to go, save your money and stay home. Easy stuff here!

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2014, 07:42 AM
You don't like it, don't go. It's not worth complaining about. This game is all about behind-the-scenes backscratching.

Disagree.

If one likes it or not this is precisely the forum to voice your opinion on it. As long as one manages their expectation as to what it will affect outside of this forum.

Feel free to go if it's your thing. Feel free to lay out the reasons why these meaningless mid season friendlies happen. I, too, hope no one is hurt.

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2014, 07:46 AM
Really??!!

Yes, really. There is a another thread for that. Feel free to talk amongst your fellow supporters.

(http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?187-Arsenal-Supporters-Thread-The-Kings-of-London&highlight=arsenal)here (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?187-Arsenal-Supporters-Thread-The-Kings-of-London&highlight=arsenal)

Phil
04-23-2014, 07:49 AM
I probably won't be going because its a world cup year and typically the visiting teams are void of the people I would really enjoy seeing on the pitch.

As for injuries, the risk to me is just as high about sustaining one in practice so I have dialed that rage down. The players want to play in these events, often times it gives the ability to have a dialogue with a Euro team (I am pretty sure Roma visiting had a part in at least Michael Bradley thinking this was a good city).

So I don't outright support them, but I do realize there is bigger picture stuff going on. If you think its only the MLS, I watched Celtic play Benfica at BMO a few years ago on an international break - imagine both teams flying across the Atlantic to play a firendly at BMO...

Red4ever
04-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Meh. Its a game we knew was coming, its part of the Defoe deal.

Those who want to go - enjoy! Great way to see two teams you like at a place like BMO field.

If you don't want to go, save your money and stay home. Easy stuff here!

In a nutshell everyone. See how simple it is?

I will take it as likely my one and only opportunity to rock a TFC jersey and a Gunner's scarf and get two games worth of chirping for the price of one (well probably actually closer to 2)

Prediction: 5-2 TFC :D

Greatest Ripoff
04-23-2014, 08:08 AM

I'd rather watch NOB then spurs.

Areathrasher
04-23-2014, 08:47 AM

I'd actually prefer that to Spurs :lol:

Canary10
04-23-2014, 08:48 AM
Soccer is still a struggling sport in North America, despite the growth recently. I remember going to London Laser games back in the old CSL. That league lasted, what, 5 years? Point being, there is a lot of work still to do to keep the sport growing here and recent success shouldn't be taken for granted. To me these friendlies are all part of increasing the profile of soccer.

And I will be going. Spurs might be a fun team to watch again by then.

Brooker
04-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Bring back pachuca!

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2014, 09:25 AM
Soccer is still a struggling sport in North America, despite the growth recently. I remember going to London Laser games back in the old CSL. That league lasted, what, 5 years? Point being, there is a lot of work still to do to keep the sport growing here and recent success shouldn't be taken for granted. To me these friendlies are all part of increasing the profile of soccer.

And I will be going. Spurs might be a fun team to watch again by then.

Good perspective. Until we have a healthy route to the top league we shouldn't be scoffing at why the league feels we need these friendlies still.

And it was 5 years. Then the CSL folded to be reborn in 98 and remained "professional" until this year.

jaahuuu
04-23-2014, 12:45 PM
There used to be a time when I'd go to every friendly TFC had. Now that I've seen several non-North American teams the novelty has worn off and there's a very short list of opponants I'd go see, Spurs aren't on that list.

Red CB Toronto
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
A little odd where the away supporters section is, 222-23. Spurs Canada has a block of 500 for their members to purchase at $50 a piece. If 104 was not big enough I would have thought they would have at least put the away supporters in the north end. Interesting to say the least.

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2014, 01:17 PM
A little odd where the away supporters section is, 222-23. Spurs Canada has a block of 500 for their members to purchase at $50 a piece. If 104 was not big enough I would have thought they would have at least put the away supporters in the north end. Interesting to say the least.

Not when you think of the view they'd have from 222-3 would be more the view they are used to

ie: The view one gets from a television set.

Yohan
04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Not when you think of the view they'd have from 222-3 would be more the view they are used to

ouch. (indirect) burn

prizby
04-23-2014, 02:58 PM
Everybody should have demanded a refund after the Liverpool game. Paying top dollar to watch both teams trot out 22 guys in a no sub limit, training exercise was abhorrent.

you should have known very well that this was what was going to happen

i enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Ronnie O'Brien getting injured against Aston Villa

This is a game if you are interesting in seeing Spurs B Team, you will go, if not, you won't. Simple as that.

Corrected for the fact that World Cup players will not be available

and Bradley or Defoe tore their ACL, we should just shut up and take it...great idea

wonder what they are doing with the SSH in that section? and only $50 for dark grey/red...seems like a mistake

Fort York Redcoat
04-23-2014, 03:08 PM
wonder what they are doing with the SSH in that section? and only $50 for dark grey/red...seems like a mistake

Giving them first chance in the section or closest to it I suspect.

jaahuuu
04-24-2014, 08:57 AM
i enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Ronnie O'Brien getting injured against Aston Villa
O'Brien reaggravated a previous injury, one that he initially received months earlier in training, the reaggravation could have easily happened in another training session, or a league match. He had also injured the same knee that preseason in an exhibition game, I don't know if that was fully healed when he got the injury in training.

Everytime there's a friendly somebody mentions O'Brien, and I'm wondering why this is still a big deal? These friendlies are really just glorified training sessions, what difference does it make if somebody gets injured in front of a paying audience or behind closed doors?

Fort York Redcoat
04-24-2014, 09:00 AM
O'Brien reaggravated a previous injury, one that he initially received months earlier in training, the reaggravation could have easily happened in another training session, or a league match. He had also injured the same knee that preseason in an exhibition game, I don't know if that was fully healed when he got the injury in training.

Everytime there's a friendly somebody mentions O'Brien, and I'm wondering why this is still a big deal? These friendlies are really just glorified training sessions, what difference does it make if somebody gets injured in front of a paying audience or behind closed doors?

Training is necessary. This is not. This is sold as a competitive match so it's treated as such by we supporters.

There's the same argument for everyday life accidents that affect players. No one would suggest bubble wrapping players when they aren't on the pitch.

But this argument/debate is old and not much will be done to change it for the near future.

Phil
04-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Its funny. The players and everyone will tell you that training is a lot different than a game for the intensity and actual game experience. The players want to play against these teams to see how they measure up.

As long as they are not moving games, I really don't care if they play them or not. They have the depth to sub off big players, as well if there is any risk, they won't be playing in the game.

Overall I would prefer they not play meaningless firendly games but I can accept that they do and will play them.

T-boy
04-24-2014, 09:47 AM
Comment on players possibly getting injured in this one game - I don't think there is any bigger risk of a player getting injured in this than regular training seeing as we have enough injuries already just through training days. Man, I twisted my ankle once walking down the street, injuries can happen any time. If we didn't want to risk injuries, we wouldn't train, or do any type of risky activity like cross the road! I don't think this game is any riskier than normal training. Yes O'Brien got injured in a friendly, but Dike got injured during training. Who is to say that O'Brien wouldn't have injured himself in training that same day?

OgtheDim
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Hmm.....$45.

stevielarson
04-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Hmm.....$45.

Where are you getting the pricing from? Havent received my email yet.

Canary10
04-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Where are you getting the pricing from? Havent received my email yet.

Check your account. They're in now. My seats in 110 are $45.

I think that's a surprisingly reasonable price for this game actually. I really would like to see Christian Eriksen play live.

pdogg
04-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Check your account. They're in now. My seats in 110 are $45.

I think that's a surprisingly reasonable price for this game actually. I really would like to see Christian Eriksen play live.

$45 in 110? I'm in 110 and mine are $50. I'm light grey (top half)

Edit: oops.. $25 each, $50 total... rage subsiding...

Canary10
04-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Edit: oops.. $25 each, $50 total... rage subsiding...

Ha, ok. $25 each? That's pretty good actually.

OgtheDim
04-24-2014, 10:35 AM

You must be in the houghty toughty lower party of 110. :)

Honestly, I don't know why you have $5 more then 221.

pdogg
04-24-2014, 11:19 AM
You must be in the houghty toughty lower party of 110. :)

Honestly, I don't know why you have $5 more then 221.

Made a mistake - it was $25 each, $50 total. Still in with the scrubs of upper 110. Those lower 110s, with their flip up seats... I've wanted to bring in a socket wrench and swap them :)

Nuvinho
04-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Renewal Items

Seats

Qty

Price

Total

Tottenham Hotspur at Toronto FC

Section 108
Row 22
1-2

2 Adult

CA $59.00

CA $118.00

Section 111
Row 20
1-2

2 Adult

CA $25.00

CA $50.00

Section 115
Row 10
1-2

2 Adult

CA $20.00

CA $40.00

Section 118
Row 14
9-10

2 Adult

CA $20.00

CA $40.00

pdogg
04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
So that gives us:

Yellows - $20
Light Grey - $25
Medium Grey - $45
Dark Grey - $59

kodiakTFC
04-24-2014, 11:40 AM
So that gives us:

Yellows - $20
Light Grey - $25
Medium Grey - $45
Dark Grey - $59

Looks like I'll be buying my 6. I was on the fence but these prices are reasonable and I'm going to miss a ton of games this season because of work.

Nuvinho
04-24-2014, 11:46 AM
I was shocked that they didn't jack up the prices.

pdogg
04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
Those are STH prices, BTW. My $25 light greys show a face value of $45 on them.

OgtheDim
04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
$20 to watch them from the supporters section....reasonable.

Don Julio
04-24-2014, 01:06 PM
For $25 I will happily watch any professional-level football match anywhere. Except in Stoke. Never again.

Eastend
04-24-2014, 01:07 PM
Had to come in here to see if the pricing was correct or that was a down payment.

Really shocked but sooooo happy.

Dom

Haddy
04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Ha, ok. $25 each? That's pretty good actually.

I couldn't resist the $25 purchase.

http://i.qkme.me/36grz4.jpg

BuSaPuNk
04-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Hmmmm atleast the pricing is okay. Is be willing to spend $50 if I had it. Might have to think about it for a few days.

Brooker
04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Amazing.

prizby
04-24-2014, 03:53 PM

could have but it didn't...it happened in a game that didn't count for anything and didn't help the team in any way in the standings...it was an unnecessary measure

brad
04-24-2014, 04:14 PM
This is a game that helped us sign Jermaine Defoe. Therefore this game has a meaning, and does have an impact on the standings :)

ExiledRed
04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
This is a game that helped us sign Jermaine Defoe. Therefore this game has a meaning, and does have an impact on the standings :)

Provided he plays more than ten games this season that is

brad
04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Provided he plays more than ten games this season that is

It'll have an impact either way, I didn't specify that it would be a positive one :hump:

anto7
04-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Can anyone be bothered to figure out who from the Spurs squad will be playing in the World Cup?

anto7
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Can anyone be bothered to figure out who from the Spurs squad will be playing in the World Cup?
I will take a stab and guess Lloris, Vertongan, Dembele, Lennon, Townsend possibly, Sandro, Abedayor

anto7
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
I will take a stab and guess Lloris, Vertongan, Dembele, Lennon, Townsend possibly, Sandro, Abedayor
Scratch Adebayor, was thinking he was Ivory Coast but I believe he plays for Tongo

nascarguy
04-24-2014, 06:53 PM
too many game in july I'm all ready think about selling some off june would been so much better do not care about tottenham

0bl1vious
04-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Maybe Soldado and Gilberto can compare notes? Ha ha.

http://i.imgur.com/W9GgszQ.gif

Cas87
04-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Adebayor does play for Togo.

Also I think Townsend will not be called up to England so we will probably see him too.

I thinks its kind of funny that they are billing this game on both sides as 'Defoe playing his former team" and it is possible he will not be there! LOL

Justin10000
04-25-2014, 07:49 AM
I don't like that TFC made this game a mandatory purchase for Season Seat Holders. I received an email saying that my credit card would be automatically charged today for an unspecified amount. It's only today that I learned I was going to be automatically billed for the Scum (Sorry, Gooner here) match.
I was planning on going to the match, but I'm sure there are SSHs who are not interested or can't make it. Why should they be forced to pay for a friendly?

Fort York Redcoat
04-25-2014, 08:14 AM
I don't like that TFC made this game a mandatory purchase for Season Seat Holders. I received an email saying that my credit card would be automatically charged today for an unspecified amount. It's only today that I learned I was going to be automatically billed for the Scum (Sorry, Gooner here) match.
I was planning on going to the match, but I'm sure there are SSHs who are not interested or can't make it. Why should they be forced to pay for a friendly?

Your card will be charged if you choose to go. It's not manditory. That would be a huge mistake.

Canary10
04-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Probably Paulinho too.

The game is after the World Cup is over. Defoe will be there for sure no matter how far England do or do not go.

Canary10
04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
....and Kyle Walker.

Cas87
04-25-2014, 08:30 AM

They said on twitter that if you received the email and have already paid off your season seats it was a mistake.
If you still have payments due on your season seats, that will be the charge.

The tottenham friendly is a completely separate charge.

tfcleeds
04-25-2014, 08:34 AM
I checked my account manager, and it said payment was due on April 27th for the Spurs friendly. Now, I was planning on going anyway since the price is no different than what I am currently paying for a regular season match, but I still find it odd that didn't seem to have the choice??

Justin10000
04-25-2014, 08:40 AM
They said on twitter that if you received the email and have already paid off your season seats it was a mistake.
If you still have payments due on your season seats, that will be the charge.

The tottenham friendly is a completely separate charge.

Oh, ok.

That's good. My tickets are fully paid, so it was a concern that my card would be charged for a friendly.

OgtheDim
07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
And...now the day approaches.

Cas87
07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
^^ cue dramatic music

OgtheDim
07-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Only if one can make Xylophone Jazz ominous.

TFC07
07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
There's 500 tickets left on Stubhub for this game (lowest price being $32) which bad if you compare to other soccer games this week (Italy vs Portugal, AC Milan vs Olympiacos and TFC vs. SKC) being played at BMO field.

Also looking at schedule, there's going to be 4 games being played this week at BMO field. So don't be surprise to see messed up turf by Saturday.

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
There's 500 tickets left on Stubhub for this game (lowest price being $32) which bad if you compare to other soccer games this week (Italy vs Portugal, AC Milan vs Olympiacos and TFC vs. SKC) being played at BMO field.

Also looking at schedule, there's going to be 4 games being played this week at BMO field. So don't be surprise to see messed up turf by Saturday.

Holy crap. That's tonight. Priority for Italy v Portugal Legends. Enjoy!

Red CB Toronto
07-21-2014, 02:42 PM
Who is on the capo Wednesday night?

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Who is on the capo Wednesday night?

Someone who attends midseason friendlies.

Cas87
07-21-2014, 03:39 PM
Someone who attends midseason friendlies.

So .......

No one?

BuSaPuNk
07-21-2014, 05:46 PM
So .......

No one?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

mowe
07-21-2014, 05:50 PM
It's not going to sell out, but there should be a good 18-20k people at the game.

BTW did anyone see Seattle draw 55k to their game against Tottenham? Amazing, their support is really on another level. They played really well too in a 3-3 draw.

OgtheDim
07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
If we trust the ticketmaster site, there's about a thousand left. (No I don't trust it)

Don't forget, the tickets for SSH were reasonable.

Milanista
07-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Too many games in such a short time…between TFC home games, Italy vs Portugal today, TFC vs Spurs weds and Milan on thursday…

Red CB Toronto
07-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Too many games in such a short time…between TFC home games, Italy vs Portugal today, TFC vs Spurs weds and Milan on thursday…

I initially bought a ticket for the AC Milan game and when they announced that the 200 level was not being used I used it as an out to get a refund. Three games in four night seemed a little busy to me.

prizby
07-21-2014, 08:47 PM
It's not going to sell out, but there should be a good 18-20k people at the game.

BTW did anyone see Seattle draw 55k to their game against Tottenham? Amazing, their support is really on another level. They played really well too in a 3-3 draw.

supporting a mid-season meaningless money grabbing friendly...that is almost certainly on another level...wouldn't call that 'amazing'

reggie
07-21-2014, 09:16 PM
that is amazing...unlike our fair weather fans,that find a way to whine about anything...

mowe
07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
supporting a mid-season meaningless money grabbing friendly...that is almost certainly on another level...wouldn't call that 'amazing'
This might come as a shock to you, but some fans just like to support their team. It was a bye week, they have the best team in the league, and 55 thousand people thought it worth their while to come out and watch their club take on a Premier League team. But of course we're completely above that here in Toronto.

Pookie
07-21-2014, 09:47 PM
^ amazing for Seattle too since franchise owner-operators keep 100% of the ticket revenue for these games.

There was a reason Kevin Payne said "get used to it."

I don't see the attraction of a game vs a club team but I do think MLS got its all star game right. I took in Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly and that was a great game. Both sides played as if they were interested and you felt as though you got your money's worth with an outcome that was up for grabs.

prizby
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM
This might come as a shock to you, but some fans just like to support their team. It was a bye week, they have the best team in the league, and 55 thousand people thought it worth their while to come out and watch their club take on a Premier League team. But of course we're completely above that here in Toronto.

i am sure if dempsey tore his acl or something in a meaningless midseason game; bye or no bye, they wouldn't mind that cuz hey, at least they got watch their meaningless game instead of focusing on the supporters shield and mls cup

Pookie
07-22-2014, 05:36 AM
i am sure if dempsey tore his acl or something in a meaningless midseason game; bye or no bye, they wouldn't mind that cuz hey, at least they got watch their meaningless game instead of focusing on the supporters shield and mls cup

Interesting point. Why focus at all on supporters shield? In a league with playoffs, it means absolutely nothing.

If Dempsey hurts his ACL chasing the shield, that's something to get pissy about too.

ensco
07-22-2014, 05:59 AM

I am sure that after the inevitable 11 zillionth post pointing out that fans who like or go to friendlies are either not true fans or are idiots, I am so bored.

OgtheDim
07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
At $45 for my seat, it will be good entertainment. And I, for one, will not be ashamed of wearing a TFC jersey that night. Is it everybody's idea of support? No.

Will I stomp my feet like I will on Saturday? No

But, I will enjoy watching the guys I support play a team I'll never see otherwise.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 07:51 AM
I am sure that after the inevitable 11 zillionth post pointing out that fans who like or go to friendlies are either not true fans or are idiots, I am so bored.

This reminds of something Kevin Payne said...g:D

I'd say the same about those posts that bore you.:Yawn:

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Interesting point. Why focus at all on supporters shield? In a league with playoffs, it means absolutely nothing.

If Dempsey hurts his ACL chasing the shield, that's something to get pissy about too.

This thread concerns a friendly. I'm sure there's a playoffs vs Supporters Shield thread to be started if there isn't one. It would be gangbusters.

Phil
07-22-2014, 07:56 AM

What happens if that injury occurs during practice?

At some point we have to accept injuries can happen at any time. I am not a huge fan of the friendlies, but this flawed line of thinking (I held it for a long time too) is silly. The guest team does not want injuries, neither do we. The players actually do want to play these types of games too, so who am I to decide whats best for them?

Cas87
07-22-2014, 07:58 AM
I still think this will be an interesting game.

As much as People think they are useless, as much as people think our players (and theirs) don't care

With the SSH pricing and Defoe playing his former team (with him being suspended now for Saturday) it will at the very least be entertaining, as well as seeing some of the youngsters get some minutes (Hammerheads and Academy).

Personally, I'd love to see Jordan Hamilton get 45 minutes against Tottenham and see what he can do.

I still pray that no one hurts themselves.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 08:04 AM

At some point we have to accept injuries can happen at any time. I am not a huge fan of the friendlies, but this flawed line of thinking (I held it for a long time too) is silly. The guest team does not want injuries, neither do we. The players actually do want to play these types of games too, so who am I to decide whats best for them?

Sorry Phil but I have to interject here. Everyone going please feel free to go see some stars and entertainment but injuries sustained in a friendly midseason while competing for trophies isn't training. Training must be done. These don't but for the league and the way the league is sold.

It's our prerogative as supporters to prioritize. In the end we don't have final say but here, we have that say.

Phil
07-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Sorry Phil but I have to interject here. Everyone going please feel free to go see some stars and entertainment but injuries sustained in a friendly midseason while competing for trophies isn't training. Training must be done. These don't but for the league and the way the league is sold.

It's our prerogative as supporters to prioritize. In the end we don't have final say but here, we have that say.

To me this is charged training LOL.

My priority will always be on games that have tangable results, I just don't think its the end of the world that they play against some other oppostion to measure different players (or fringe ones).

Now Duane Rollins had an interesting idea that I did like, kill the All Star game and give a week long break for each club to scedule a friendly. It is a bit silly that we have everything meaningless (from a supporter standpoint) slammed into the same couple weeks of the season.

Wull
07-22-2014, 08:24 AM
If this had been during the world cup break, fine. To put it in the middle of our busiest run of the season is madness. Even Defoe came out against it

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
To me this is charged training LOL.

My priority will always be on games that have tangable results, I just don't think its the end of the world that they play against some other oppostion to measure different players (or fringe ones).

Now Duane Rollins had an interesting idea that I did like, kill the All Star game and give a week long break for each club to scedule a friendly. It is a bit silly that we have everything meaningless (from a supporter standpoint) slammed into the same couple weeks of the season.

This is absolutely a way of looking at these friendlies. I don't dispute that. It's just a bigger deal for some than others and I think we can all say our peace's on it but refrain from insulting the difference in opinion.

Have fun all that go. I know of one girl personally who has had to wait for this all season. These dates are made for her and people like her.

Gringo Starr
07-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I understand the injury argument but what if Henry tears his ACL playing Jamaica. The international friendly doesn't get piled on but is just as meaningless in that there is nothing on the line. Henry or Morgan or Oso could all blow out a knee in September playing in a friendly but only one game is being dumped on. Legit question what is the difference in people's minds. I'm going to both, would hate to see an injury in either but just think friendliest and injuries are part of the game, if MLS had a schedule that was in rhythm with everyone else the friendly scheduling wouldn't be an issue.

BuSaPuNk
07-22-2014, 08:40 AM
This is absolutely a way of looking at these friendlies. I don't dispute that. It's just a bigger deal for some than others and I think we can all say our peace's on it but refrain from insulting the difference in opinion.

Have fun all that go. I know of one girl personally who has had to wait for this all season. These dates are made for her and people like her.

Agreed. I don't like them but it is what it is. Ill watch them on TV but I won't go. This game isn't for me. Ill let people go that want to go.

Have fun ill take the extra day to do more work on banners and such.

Richard
07-22-2014, 08:42 AM
I understand the injury argument but what if Henry tears his ACL playing Jamaica. The international friendly doesn't get piled on but is just as meaningless in that there is nothing on the line. Henry or Morgan or Oso could all blow out a knee in September playing in a friendly but only one game is being dumped on. Legit question what is the difference in people's minds. I'm going to both, would hate to see an injury in either but just think friendliest and injuries are part of the game, if MLS had a schedule that was in rhythm with everyone else the friendly scheduling wouldn't be an issue.

International friendlies are not meaningless, they are used to experiment with tactics and evaluate players for games in the future that really matter. Aside from tournaments, international friendlies are the only other times a national team really plays together, these are important for building cohesion and consistency.

You cant say the same for club friendlies in mid-season as the players you play(mostly academy) wont really factor into your starting 11, whatever evaluation done at this game could be completed in a regular scrimmage.

Fort York Redcoat
07-22-2014, 08:43 AM

Priorities again. Country over Club. Even friendlies.

And Gringo this happens EVERY TFC friendly, rest assured. See ensco above.

Beach_Red
07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
This thread concerns a friendly. I'm sure there's a playoffs vs Supporters Shield thread to be started if there isn't one. It would be gangbusters.

What section would that go in?

Gringo Starr
07-22-2014, 09:44 AM
Fair point I know what you mean re the internationals I said meaningless more in terms of points not being on the line. I guess I'm just of the opinion that the mls friendliest aren't just an empty cash grab. I'm hoping a guy like Morgan get some quality time on the pitch, he needs minutes. Also think it's good for the younger guys to get a chance to measure themselves against opponents from a top league. Game minutes in front of a crowd are always better than scrimmage. Won't disagree with the Country over Club sentiment but injuries will occur regardless of which kit is being worn. At least this time it's at Bmo on grass without the retards that do security at the dome...

International friendlies are not meaningless, they are used to experiment with tactics and evaluate players for games in the future that really matter. Aside from tournaments, international friendlies are the only other times a national team really plays together, these are important for building cohesion and consistency.

You cant say the same for club friendlies in mid-season as the players you play(mostly academy) wont really factor into your starting 11, whatever evaluation done at this game could be completed in a regular scrimmage.

Justin10000
07-22-2014, 09:59 AM

I'm with you. I'm so sick of the "Fans who don't mind friendlies are not true fans" or "players will be injured in friendlies" nonense. It's a local friendly, TFC isn't travelling, and it's MLSE! OF COURSE THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY. That's their mandate.

Players can get injured anytime. Players have been injured in practice, and even walking down the street! Nigel Rio Coker, anyone?

I'm going because I am an Arsenal supporter, and I'm going to chirp those scummy bastards and have a great time of it. :D

Technorgasm
07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Until we make the playoffs or win a championship Liverpool v TFC at Skydome was the greatest memory TFC has delivered to me.

so, there are some people that get a LOT of value from these games.

that siad, the timing could not be worse for us this time with the 2 best Eastern teams next up.

barticusz
07-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Until we make the playoffs or win a championship Liverpool v TFC at Skydome was the greatest memory TFC has delivered to me.

so, there are some people that get a LOT of value from these games.

that siad, the timing could not be worse for us this time with the 2 best Eastern teams next up.

There is no excuse. SKC is playing MCFC on the 23rd as well. DC is playing Fulham on the 26th and then us on the 30th.

Nearly every team plays a friendly around this time of year. This is what happens.

reggie
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
jezzz people...the guys are going to get a 45 min run which they would do in the middle of the week anyway,i look forward to it,but the true supporters will not be their,too bad the game is on nat tv and on tv in England....supporters support the club.when ever they play.

KRO
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
jezzz people...the guys are going to get a 45 min run which they would do in the middle of the week anyway,i look forward to it,but the true supporters will not be their,too bad the game is on nat tv and on tv in England....supporters support the club.when ever they play.

I consider myself a "true supporter" whatever that is and I will be there. Based on the ticket sales I'm sure I won't be the only one.

I will enjoy watching a game without worrying too much about the result. I'm also interested to see some of our prospects play.

Red CB Toronto
07-22-2014, 11:55 AM
True TFC supporter here all the way and will be the game for a great night out. Have only missed one friendly in team history, against LFC due to work.

Derko
07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
I unfortunatley won't be at the game, but hope all those who go enjoy the evening. And for those that still have the bad taste due to Ronnie O'Brien getting injured on a plastic pitch. Enjoy your evening.

Blizzard
07-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Good point! Stefan Frei would be our starting keeper if things like that didn't happen.

Blizzard
07-22-2014, 12:03 PM
What section would that go in?

Junk

Wagner
07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Enough with the True Supporter stuff.
everyone believes they're a true supporter...whatever that means.

I personally am not huge fan of friendlies, but i'm not as militant about my stance recently.

I don't go.
But that doesn't mean I'll shit on someone's opinion.
It's football, and some people enjoy it.

Enough of the dong measuring.
we all support how we can, when we can.

Alonso
07-22-2014, 12:52 PM
Injuries, and match congestion are 2 very good reasons not to have these friendlies mid season.

Another one that tops the cake for me and I don't see being discussed much is inviting a world renowned club into our home at BMO only to have the "home" crowd be overwhelmingly pro Tottenham or Real Madrid etc...

It reminds me of Canada home games in the past that had more Jamaica fans than Canadian fans.

To me, there is just something off about subjecting your home club to that unnecessarily.

Aston-Villa, and River Plate was a pro-TFC crowd at home, but lately it's been the other way around.

Just embarrassing.

EDIT: I'm going to the game just to do my part to make sure Tottenham fans know they can eat my ass g:D (including my friend who has TFC seasons and is a Tottenham supporter before a TFC supporter)

barticusz
07-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Injuries, and match congestion are 2 very good reasons not to have these friendlies mid season.

Another one that tops the cake for me and I don't see being discussed much is inviting a world renowned club into our home at BMO only to have the "home" crowd be overwhelmingly pro Tottenham or Real Madrid etc...

We need to get over this feeling. It's likely going to be happening for the foreseeable future.

Games this Wednesday including MLS teams:

TFC v Tottanham
Crew v C. Palace
FCD v Aston Villa
SKC v Man City
LA v Man U.

It's just another training session, however it allows our guys to play together in more of a competitive environment for 45min. Plus the young kids get some action in too. I don't see a problem with this. Injuries could occur on the training field as well.

Gringo Starr
07-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Anyone else becoming a Palace fan for a day?

OgtheDim
07-22-2014, 01:44 PM
I wonder what the Expedia Projected Lineup will be.... :)

Greatest Ripoff
07-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Anyone else becoming a Palace fan for a day?

Why Palace?

Alonso
07-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Why Palace?

They're playing against the Crew

Cas87
07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
I wonder what the Expedia Projected Lineup will be.... :)

I'll put my guess up and see how it compares.

1st half
Defoe - Weideman
Lovitz -- Bekker -- Hall -- Osorio
Morgan -- Henry -- Richter -- Hagglund
Konopka

2nd Half
Hamilton -- Weideman
Lovitz - Bekker - Hall - Aparicio
Morgan -- Academy Kid -- Richter -- Hagglund
Q.

Lets see if I can beat the Expedia guess.

Strait shooter
07-22-2014, 02:24 PM
I'll put my guess up and see how it compares.

1st half
Defoe - Weideman
Lovitz -- Bekker -- Hall -- Osorio
Morgan -- Henry -- Richter -- Hagglund
Konopka

2nd Half
Hamilton -- Weideman
Lovitz - Bekker - Hall - Aparicio
Morgan -- Academy Kid -- Richter -- Hagglund
Q.

Lets see if I can beat the Expedia guess.

Sorry to burst your bubble already, Aparicio will leaving tomorrow for the u20 camp/Milk Cup tourney.

Cas87
07-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble already, Aparicio will leaving tomorrow for the u20 camp/Milk Cup tourney.

Darn,

So close

OgtheDim
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Bradley will play. I suspect as will Gilberto and Moore, at some point.

tfcleeds
07-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Everyone, to each their own. I'm not going, but I'm sure everyone who does will have a great time, and an opportunity to see EPL opposition at that. For myself, friendlies just don't do it for me (except, if perhaps Leeds United was the opposition), but I understand the appeal for some people. As for the Spurs fans possibly outnumbering us in our house for one game, who cares - not like we'll see those people again anyways (unless they also happen to be TFC fans). I'd be more concerned if we were outnumbered at home for a competitive match (a la Jamaica).

UltraSuperMegaMo
07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
I wonder if we'll see any trailist or guest players in this game, as we have in friendlies in the past? Maybe Pasher?

Leedsoronto
07-22-2014, 06:43 PM
TFCA v Durham, cup game, same eve in OshWa. So I don't think the academy will be part of the evening festivities.

BeachTory
07-22-2014, 09:36 PM

It reminds me of Canada home games in the past that had more Jamaica fans than Canadian fans.

To me, there is just something off about subjecting your home club to that unnecessarily.

Aston-Villa, and River Plate was a pro-TFC crowd at home, but lately it's been the other way around.

Just embarrassing.

EDIT: I'm going to the game just to do my part to make sure Tottenham fans know they can eat my ass g:D (including my friend who has TFC seasons and is a Tottenham supporter before a TFC supporter)

These games are marketed to the visitor supporter groups to get more than a one off sale-the email marketing mlse does needs to get new email addresses and people into the MLSE system. It is the same thing when you see the "join the wating list today" stuff. The only THFC supporter who would not sign up for this type of game is hard to imagine. And they are keen to see anyone wear their shirt just like i would be seeing tfc academy and trialist types in florida.

just remember this is the marketing of mlse. If it didnt work, they wouldnt do it.

liewicki did say his ambibtion for tfc was to be the first $50M revenue team in MLS.

Alonso
07-22-2014, 09:56 PM
These games are marketed to the visitor supporter groups to get more than a one off sale-the email marketing mlse does needs to get new email addresses and people into the MLSE system. It is the same thing when you see the "join the wating list today" stuff. The only THFC supporter who would not sign up for this type of game is hard to imagine. And they are keen to see anyone wear their shirt just like i would be seeing tfc academy and trialist types in florida.

just remember this is the marketing of mlse. If it didnt work, they wouldnt do it.

liewicki did say his ambibtion for tfc was to be the first $50M revenue team in MLS.

To me this is akin to selling your soul for a dollar (selling seats in your home stadium to others who would then defile and cheer against the home team). And to me this has been the problem of MLSE since day one.

I aspire to this philosophy: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article776898.html

reggie
07-22-2014, 10:03 PM
KC is playing MAN CITY...I guess that's not a money grab,its all going to charity..

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 08:36 AM
To me this is akin to selling your soul for a dollar (selling seats in your home stadium to others who would then defile and cheer against the home team). And to me this has been the problem of MLSE since day one.

I aspire to this philosophy: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article776898.html

KC is playing MAN CITY...I guess that's not a money grab,its all going to charity..

The point being this isn't an MLSE issue, it's an MLS MANDATE.

Pookie
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM

I don't think it's a MANDATE.

If it was, these clubs would be in trouble since they aren't hosting a friendly this year.

New England
Montreal
Chivas
Portland
Colorado
Vancouver

It's a huge REVENUE opportunity though. MLS clubs keep half of their gate receipts for regular season games but MLS allows them to keep 100% of the revenue for friendlies.

That's why we have to "get used to it."

Cas87
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM

If it was, these clubs would be in trouble since they aren't hosting a friendly this year.

New England
Montreal
Chivas
Portland
Colorado
Vancouver

It's a huge REVENUE opportunity though. MLS clubs keep half of their gate receipts for regular season games but MLS allows them to keep 100% of the revenue for friendlies.

To be fair Portland has the All Star game versus Bayern so I guess that would take the place of a friendly (in terms of revenue a bit).

Phil
07-23-2014, 09:24 AM
RSL is tweeting stuff like #trophiesnotfriendlies

Its a part of what are club wants to be. They want world competition and high profile opponents, just like LA. Its clear MLSE and Tim L want Toronto to be a 'soccer' hotbed.

If it helps attract the right players and maybe get us loans of useful players, I can't say that its a massive issue. I would prefer better timing on these games overall though.

prizby
07-23-2014, 09:25 AM

New England
Montreal
Chivas
Portland
Colorado
Vancouver

or why not host more games like olympiakos vs. ac milan...fans get to see european teams and tfc could charge a boatload

Phil
07-23-2014, 09:27 AM
or why not host more games like olympiakos vs. ac milan...fans get to see european teams and tfc could charge a boatload

Those events may use BMO field, but its not a MLSE event.

Canary10
07-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Well I had a great time at the open training and will tonight too. It's awesome being that close up to an EPL team in training. The speed is soooo much faster than MLS. And those practices are intense. It's really cool to see what drills they run the players through too.

nonc
07-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Seattle pretty much played an A team. It would be nice if Nelsen didn't embarrass TFC i.e. Bekker/Hall will get torn apart, although I do like the idea of Hamilton going 90 and Bekker and Lovitz getting substantial minutes. Back line will need Henry and Hagglund most of the night to stand a chance.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 09:39 AM

New England
Montreal
Chivas
Portland
Colorado
Vancouver

I'm sorry I thought this was known. Teams can skip a year but it's suggested to get these friendly dates filled. If you are so inclined I am also interested in the longest stint a team has got away with no friendlies. I would be astounded and impressed if it was 3 years or longer.

So its true its not written anywhere but it surely is a mandate from the league.

C.Ronaldo
07-23-2014, 09:56 AM
the timing is tough but its exposure.

its a dog and pony show, and european teams love to be a part of it.

Its a chance to buy them dinner, and pick up players like Defoe while selling or loaning them players like Henry and Hagglund

plus, Id rather pay less for my tickets and MSLE makes their money on these games.

prizby
07-23-2014, 10:05 AM

that was an example; what would stop MLSE from organizing friendlies in Toronto between two European sides?

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 10:16 AM
RSL is tweeting stuff like #trophiesnotfriendlies

Yeah, but who wants to play a friendly in SL at altitude?

Areathrasher
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM

Leiweke was at the presser announcing that game and some commercial deal with the firm that runs the Guinness Cup was announced.

I think MLSE is involved.

EDIT: Here is the press release http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1377915/media-advisory-maple-leaf-sports-entertainment-and-relevent-sports-to-announce-international-football-partnership-tomorrow

Phil
07-23-2014, 10:20 AM
that was an example; what would stop MLSE from organizing friendlies in Toronto between two European sides?

Nothing stopping them. These teams come at a price, if you put two teams there, its double the price and doesn nothing for your brand.

This is an expercise by the MLS and owners to grow their brand internationally. Simple as that.

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Yeah, but who wants to play a friendly in SL at altitude?
Yeah and good luck selling the virtues of Salt Lake to European players. "Yeah so no booze, a high altitude, and almost zero night life." and that line comes right after the players say "What Lake City? We be playing in the countryside gaffer?".

Phil
07-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Leiweke was at the presser announcing that game and some commercial deal with the firm that runs the Guinness Cup was announced.

I think MLSE is involved.

EDIT: Here is the press release http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1377915/media-advisory-maple-leaf-sports-entertainment-and-relevent-sports-to-announce-international-football-partnership-tomorrow

It looks like they agreed to use BMO field in a partnership deal. There may be some money exchanged for use of staff and food outlets. I don't see a heavy MLSE press on it or tickets being waved in my account manager / official site pressure on it, so I assume its a different company actually running the event. In fact, I believe this game was scheduled for another venue and it fell through and was assigned for Toronto.

Alonso
07-23-2014, 10:24 AM

Well some teams are not playing any friendlies, so how much is mandated and how much is rubber arm twisting?

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Well some teams are not playing any friendlies, so how much is mandated and how much is rubber arm twisting?

Let's not get tied up here in this action command coming from above that has all teams hosting friendlies at least every other year. If the question is whether we can skip a year- the answer is yes. But I'm pretty sure that's not what people are asking.

Areathrasher
07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
It looks like they agreed to use BMO field in a partnership deal. There may be some money exchanged for use of staff and food outlets. I don't see a heavy MLSE press on it or tickets being waved in my account manager / official site pressure on it, so I assume its a different company actually running the event. In fact, I believe this game was scheduled for another venue and it fell through and was assigned for Toronto.

Ticket sales were piss poor in New York for the game hence it's moving.

I'd wager that whatever games are here next year will be heavily pushed by MLSE. TL said he wants City and United here next summer in the presser.

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 10:45 AM
FWIW

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10543634_10152166672091805_908509503079853017_n.jp g

I get the feeling they put out the right one just to get people talking about it.

Pint
07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
The thing i'm interested in is if Roubos and Babouli are with the team today or in the shwa with the academy for their cup game.

cmonyoureds
07-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Well I had a great time at the open training and will tonight too. It's awesome being that close up to an EPL team in training. The speed is soooo much faster than MLS. And those practices are intense. It's really cool to see what drills they run the players through too..

Quick question as I didn't follow the tix/info 'cause I didn't have interest in Tottenham.

Did you get the open training ticket with purchase of game ticket? Or was it just a freebie, show up and watch deal? (cause that I would have considered)
Any player interaction with fans?
Just interested in case future situations arise.

Qman
07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Yeah and good luck selling the virtues of Salt Lake to European players. "Yeah so no booze, a high altitude, and almost zero night life." and that line comes right after the players say "What Lake City? We be playing in the countryside gaffer?".

Apparently, the league is looking at Las Vegas for expansion team or move the folded chivas franchise. Looking at building a $200m covered stadium.
I don't think you would have any problem finding DPs for that team.

Canary10
07-23-2014, 11:42 AM

Quick question as I didn't follow the tix/info 'cause I didn't have interest in Tottenham.

Did you get the open training ticket with purchase of game ticket? Or was it just a freebie, show up and watch deal? (cause that I would have considered)
Any player interaction with fans?
Just interested in case future situations arise.

Anyone could walk in and watch. If you have any interest in knowing what these teams do in training it's great. They gave kids a pass for an autograph session on the west side of BMO afterward (fans could only sit in the east side). But you could sit anywhere and they acknowledged the fans so there was a bit of interaction with them.

I went to see Spurs play New York two years ago and there was pretty much full interaction. Anyone there could get an autograph or picture with the players (if they agreed, which most were fine with). Got a good pic of Bale and a pic with Kyle Walker (I was a right back in my day).

Cas87
07-23-2014, 11:47 AM
FWIW

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10543634_10152166672091805_908509503079853017_n.jp g

I get the feeling they put out the right one just to get people talking about it.

I give this a 1/11 (only because we all know that Defoe is going to play)

Bendik?!?!?
Konopka and Q will get a half each as both have not been used all that much (Also Q is the master in these types of games, Real, Roma, etc.)

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 02:34 PM
I expect Hagglund and Henry to see some time too for the experience. Probably be seeing 20 subs tonight.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
I expect Hagglund and Henry to see some time too for the experience. Probably be seeing 20 subs tonight.

This gives me a chuckle. Sounds like when I play.

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I know it's a friendly and all but I bought tickets for it because they were cheap and am looking forward to it. I haven't been to a match since my Dad had a stroke on my B-Day as I've been spending all my time at the hospital so this is like a rare night out for me. I am planning on enjoying it no matter it being a friendly or not. Just a no tension, good night out with a lot less swearing about refs. Probably.

Fort York Redcoat
07-23-2014, 03:05 PM
I know it's a friendly and all but I bought tickets for it because they were cheap and am looking forward to it. I haven't been to a match since my Dad had a stroke on my B-Day as I've been spending all my time at the hospital so this is like a rare night out for me. I am planning on enjoying it no matter it being a friendly or not. Just a no tension, good night out with a lot less swearing about refs. Probably.

Enjoy, dude. That goes for all that are looking forward to it.

Daveisonfire
07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Bradley's in the promos but not on the pitch. Pretty happy about that, he's the guy that needs this game the least.

Greatest Ripoff
07-23-2014, 05:40 PM
I was going to stay up and watch this (on at midnight here) but there are no academy kids playing. Only reason I watch these is to see players I don't normally get to watch. Will PVR it and scan through after work tomorrow. Hopefully Roberts and Hamilton get a few minutes.

dutch
07-23-2014, 06:07 PM
any decent streams?

dutch
07-23-2014, 06:08 PM
this asshole on espn just said he thinks defoe will play hard this game because he's looking for attention overseas that could lead to a loan...wtf?

CBTFC
07-23-2014, 06:11 PM
any decent streams?

i'm in the same boat. my usual link, atdhe.net, isn't working/loading (and a friend of mine has tried the same link with no avail)

Heart of Stone
07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Still looking for a live stream as well...

notthesun
07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.vipboxna.co/football/238317/1/toronto-fc-vs-tottenham-hotspur-live-stream-online.html

notthesun
07-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Bekker is in for a rough one... already struggles with MLS-level pressure and Spurs are pressing high all over us.

Couchy81
07-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Im in the US watching the game on cable (ESPN2) was surprised to see it on. They were just talkig about the Wilmington Hammerheads and how some of those players will show up in the 2nd half, FYI.

-meant to reply to Greatest Ripoff

BuSaPuNk
07-23-2014, 06:45 PM
Im in the US watching the game on cable (ESPN2) was surprised to see it on. They were just talkig about the Wilmington Hammerheads and how some of those players will show up in the 2nd half, FYI.

-meant to reply to Greatest Ripoff

There is Roberts. One guy?

Couchy81
07-23-2014, 06:49 PM
I was going to stay up and watch this (on at midnight here) but there are no academy kids playing. Only reason I watch these is to see players I don't normally get to watch. Will PVR it and scan through after work tomorrow. Hopefully Roberts and Hamilton get a few minutes.

There is Roberts. One guy?

I guess so. We'll see.

Couchy81
07-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Taylor Twellman just gave major props to TFC fans saying we gave the MLS a European feel and being a catalyst for MLS 2.0-3.0

adam1001
07-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Pretty cringe worthy so far.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Jeremy Hall losing lamela on both goals. How typical

Yohan
07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Warner and lovitz impressing

nonc
07-23-2014, 07:06 PM
Jeremy Hall our beer league player who we just can't seem to get rid of. What a cleansing feeling it will be when that day arrives. Never seen a goalie rushed in one half as much as Konopka, looked pretty amateurish.

mowe
07-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Hopefully we can score a goal.

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 07:10 PM
Lovitz doing well as is Warner. Hall cementing his move to Orlando. Konopka should never see the field all season.

Spurs are impressive going forward. More pace and technique will do that for you.

notthesun
07-23-2014, 07:14 PM
That first half was next level boring.

I went to the Roma game as a fan of both teams and enjoyed it. I have no feelings for Tottenham and we're playing a crappy lineup so this is pretty awful.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Q has been pretty good. Fearless

Yohan
07-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Wiedeman with a poacher effort. Perfect throughball by Lovitz who's been MOM IMO.

PopePouri
07-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Best finisher? best finisher.

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Wiedeman should have taken that penalty!

Yohan
07-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Jordan hamilton!!!

PopePouri
07-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Holy shit that was beautiful.

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Wow, all tied up. This half has been a lot better than the first half, which was coma-inducing.

dutch
07-23-2014, 07:50 PM
de rosario doin very well, always does in stiff competition. I was thinking...these euro friendlies, the euro's come in for the money but they dont realize players want to come here once when they come over here and see its the same crowds, newer facilities. Bradley came from roma after the roma friendly in toronto

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
de rosario doin very well, always does in stiff competition. I was thinking...these euro friendlies, the euro's come in for the money but they dont realize players want to come here once when they come over here and see its the same crowds, newer facilities. Bradley came from roma after the roma friendly in toronto

That might be a small factor, but I think Bradley's decision was pure $$$, and playing time to a lesser extent. Toronto are paying him way above market value.

notthesun
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Can't wait to fast forward a couple years and see Hamilton ripping it up with the first team. Great goal.

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 07:53 PM
I obviously don't really care if we win this game, but I'm at least pleased that it won't be a blowout. Regardless of whether we are playing starters, getting shellacked by European teams always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 07:54 PM
oh Morgan. you always sucked at 1v1 defending

Couchy81
07-23-2014, 07:55 PM
2nd half shines on youth ability and desire

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 08:00 PM
This Hamilton kid is dynamite.

ag futbol
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
I literally was watching this game for two seconds and my god.. Bekker as much as that was a terrible pass from Ritcher, get back and defend!

Shakes McQueen
07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Aww darn. Would have liked a draw, but oh well. This half has been fun.

Soccerpro
07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Does Kyle Bekker run back and try to win the ball back when he loses it? No, he'd rather walk back and watch spurs score. He is so lazy. What a waste of talent.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Bekker loses the ball, and doesn't even try to help out the defence leading to Spurs goal. This is why he's not getting mins

notthesun
07-23-2014, 08:05 PM
I didn't notice whether he gave up on the play or not, but let's be fair people that was a suicide pass from Richter. I doubt anyone on our team would have been able to control that. Even if he did he was under a lot of pressure before the pass was even played. Really bad decision from Richter.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Hamilton had one helluva 45mins. If he keeps developing like he is right now...

Couchy81
07-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Bekker has a tendency to be lazy check out the comments from early season game threads.

Sending him to our farm team when the new guy comes would do well to give him a reality check.

He basically casually jogs back relying on defenders when he could back check and potentially grab a rebound, its lazy.

jloome
07-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Bekker loses the ball, and doesn't even try to help out the defence leading to Spurs goal. This is why he's not getting mins

And yet at times tonight he was really exceptional offensively.

I think he's Freddy Adu redux. He has a better shot but Freddy is better with the ball at his feet. And they're both only good going in one direction.

Maybe the thing to do with Bekker is to recognize this and play him as a false nine/number 10, a Baggio-style player in the hole who can rip one off from distance but also feed guys in front of him and wide.

Certainly playing him as a two-way midfielder is just a lost cause.

jloome
07-23-2014, 08:12 PM
I'll also note that Wiedeman, I still believe, has real potential. He's only 24 and getting stronger as a player; he's always been a decent finisher. When given service tonight, he used it, and when given a first touch in front of the box, he set up Hamilton.

He should get some time off the bench.

adam1001
Good on the young guns for making it respectable. Hamilton looked great. Hall is garbage, truly a glorified beer league player that has no business playing in this league. Bekker isn't any better.

Shakes McQueen

It was fantastic to watch. The kid looked great. I'll have to follow his development more closely from now on.

PopePouri
07-23-2014, 08:14 PM

...he won't be here much longer.

notthesun
07-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Bekker could probably benefit from some time in Wilmington. Maybe once Bloom is healthy again since then Creavalle will move to CM depth.

ag futbol
07-23-2014, 08:16 PM
I'd put full money on Jordan Hamilton being the third choice striker next year and starting the year after

ag futbol
07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
...he won't be here much longer.
We just inked him in the offseason. I would think we have at least two more years under contract.

Although with the amount of talent and natural ability he has, I wouldn't be surprised if someone came knocking wanting to pay a fee.

ensco
07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Wiedemann was outstanding.

Great finish, nifty little redirect pass to Hamilton to set up the goal, won multiple 1v1 and 1v2 battles for the ball.

reggie
07-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I agree...weeds was outstanding tonight.bekker,morgan,hall,yikes..

OgtheDim
07-23-2014, 08:39 PM
It should be duly noted that when Hamilton scored, the crowd erupted more than for the Spurs goals.
That goal was sweet from pass to pass to goal.

Hagglund..... Woof.

I'd like to see Hamilton and Defoe next season.

A Stick
07-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Bekker is playing himself out of the league. His first have effort was disgraceful and his long floating passes were naive at best. I was very impressed with Hamilton. The Weedman deserves to stick around if he keeps that effort up and Q is growing into his position nicely.

A Stick
07-23-2014, 08:43 PM
first half!

Borga
07-23-2014, 08:51 PM
What was the deal with the Spurs player wearing what appeared to be a sports bra? They showed him briefly when they were exchanging jerseys and milling about at the end.

Stress
07-23-2014, 08:52 PM
What was the deal with the Spurs player wearing what appeared to be a sports bra? They showed him briefly when they were exchanging jerseys and milling about at the end.

It's a heart rate monitor. Lots of elite clubs wear them in pre-season & training.

Borga
07-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Ah, ok. They really need to make one that looks a bit more manly.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 09:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk96PNdj3gY&index=2&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pn GJOO0Dw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQicezRaL0k&list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw

Yohan
07-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I'll also note that Wiedeman, I still believe, has real potential. He's only 24 and getting stronger as a player; he's always been a decent finisher. When given service tonight, he used it, and when given a first touch in front of the box, he set up Hamilton.

He should get some time off the bench.
if Wiedeman can distill his poacher's instinct into consistency... dude hardly gets involved in a game, except for that one or 2 plays when gets into right spaces at the right time.

prizby
07-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Nothing stopping them. These teams come at a price, if you put two teams there, its double the price and doesn nothing for your brand.

This is an expercise by the MLS and owners to grow their brand internationally. Simple as that.

there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. It is time for MLS to evolve. If they want these games to be a key part of the summer, then they should make it a marquee type of event. The way they are being thrown at us and scheduled is intolerable.

Imagine if they threw in a 2 week All-start break at the end of July. Every team in MLS had to play at least two friendlies during this break and you could have a big festive All-star game in the middle on a weekend and really make an event out of it. You could also really expand the International Champions Cup they are doing and involve MLS teams too...tonight was a perfect example of our first team players not needing to play; it showed in the first half

Yohan
07-23-2014, 09:46 PM
And yet at times tonight he was really exceptional offensively.

I think he's Freddy Adu redux. He has a better shot but Freddy is better with the ball at his feet. And they're both only good going in one direction.

Maybe the thing to do with Bekker is to recognize this and play him as a false nine/number 10, a Baggio-style player in the hole who can rip one off from distance but also feed guys in front of him and wide.

Certainly playing him as a two-way midfielder is just a lost cause.
Agreed. Bekker just cannot play in a system that expects him to contribute defensively. He can play as AM, but that also needs him to overcome his biggest problem which is composure under pressure. He needs to go to Wilmington badly.

TFC07
07-23-2014, 09:52 PM
there is a right way and a wrong way to do this. It is time for MLS to evolve. If they want these games to be a key part of the summer, then they should make it a marquee type of event. The way they are being thrown at us and scheduled is intolerable.

Imagine if they threw in a 2 week All-start break at the end of July. Every team in MLS had to play at least two friendlies during this break and you could have a big festive All-star game in the middle on a weekend and really make an event out of it. You could also really expand the International Champions Cup they are doing and involve MLS teams too...tonight was a perfect example of our first team players not needing to play; it showed in the first half

Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.

ensco
07-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Jeez this is a good idea.

Yohan
07-23-2014, 10:01 PM
without a neutral MLS Cup final game, MLS all star game becomes the sponsorship driven dog and pony show for the league. mainly for marketing purposes. it's not going away.

as for 2 weeks break for friendlies, a team can request certain week off as bye week. games can also be moved to accomodate friendlies. and there won't be any time next few years with Copa America USA next year and Gold Cup the year after.

Ultra & Proud
07-23-2014, 10:12 PM
While I was watching the match tonight I was wondering what do the Wilmington supporters think of Hall? Is NASL his speed or is he so shit that they feel themselves balding and greying by just watching him nonchalantly trotting around the pitch like I do.

Also thinking about that idiot ESPN commentator's piece yesterday that Canadian NBAers don't have the drive of Americans or Europeans to succeed, well if he said that about Bekker then he'd be bang on. Never seen a player give less of a shit about even trying to make an impression than him. Having him perma benched at the club now is a waste. Time for Wilmington to try to gain some desire and if after that he can't cut it next pre-season then it's off to collecting shopping carts at Loblaws.

T-boy
07-23-2014, 10:14 PM
if Wiedeman can distill his poacher's instinct into consistency... dude hardly gets involved in a game, except for that one or 2 plays when gets into right spaces at the right time.

There are many other strikers who have had great careers doing hardly anything in games but score vital goals - Gary Lineker comes to mind as one! Wiedeman has that instinct that you can't teach players, they either have it or don't. But he's also the type of player you want when you have a good team already built around him, and you can afford to have a player who isn't going to get involved apart from score that needed goal. We aren't in that position to have that type of player in the first 11 just yet, unfortunately.

Abou Sky
07-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Ah, ok. They really need to make one that looks a bit more manly.

I don't think that they care what you think ;-)

T-boy
07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
You got to take a game like this for what its worth - a glorified training exercise. But you also want to see some of your depth players make a statement and show they are worthwhile - I thought Lovitz had a good game and kept himself involved, and Weids and Hamilton stood out and look like they put the effort in. Hagglund was also reasonable too.

GuelphStorm2007
07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
I agree with you all give Bekker some Wilmington time just to wake him up. Hopefully Hamilton will get some minutes as the season progresses . All in all a decent result since this was a meaningless game.

ManUtd4ever
07-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Great showing in the second half. Hamilton looked like a gem.

Areathrasher
07-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Bekker's problem is he has zero football IQ. That can't be taught or coached.

molenshtain
07-23-2014, 10:36 PM

I'm pretty sure it's entirely taught/coached. Though I agree, at this stage in his career it might be too late for him to significantly enhance that side of the game to where he could could play significant minutes on a good team. Too bad, I really wanted him to do well when we got him last year.

Strikers
07-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Tonight Lovitz really impressed me, could be a draft day steal if he continues to develope. Again Bekker shows flashes but stops playing not sure what can be done, have a feeling a trip to wilmington will have no effect on his bad habits.

What was up with Danny Rose? twice very unnecessary challenges on Dero and then chirps the ref. Then I believe it was number 44 with a crazy slide tackle on Dero in my opinion should have been a red card especially since the game
was going so gentlemanly as a game can be.

T-boy
07-23-2014, 10:37 PM

So true. Somebody who is thinking quickly when you lose the ball in the middle like that, gets up, chases back, and fouls the Spurs player. Take a yellow card for if it you get one, but you stop the attack straight away. If you just jog back gently, you aren't doing anything at all. I know this was a friendly, but we've seen Bekker do this before, and its annoying as hell. You gotta put a player under pressure, or draw a foul and stop the player, anything but jog back gently like there is no urgency in the world.

T-boy
07-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Tonight Lovitz really impressed me, could be a draft day steal if he continues to develope. Again Bekker shows flashes but stops playing not sure what can be done, have a feeling a trip to wilmington will have no effect on his bad habits.

What was up with Danny Rose? twice very unnecessary challenges on Dero and then chirps the ref. Then I believe it was number 44 with a crazy slide tackle on Dero in my opinion should have been a red card especially since the game
was going so gentlemanly as a game can be.

Danny Rose is going to be under massive pressure now that Ben Davies has been signed. He looked like he wanted to show some passion, but it just came across as aggressive. Davies may well end up being the fiest choice left back come the start of the season.

Strikers
07-23-2014, 10:44 PM
Danny Rose is going to be under massive pressure now that Ben Davies has been signed. He looked like he wanted to show some passion, but it just came across as aggressive. Davies may well end up being the fiest choice left back come the start of the season.

I had a feeling that he might be one the players fighting for a spot.

Blizzard
07-23-2014, 10:56 PM
I didn't notice whether he gave up on the play or not, but let's be fair people that was a suicide pass from Richter. I doubt anyone on our team would have been able to control that. Even if he did he was under a lot of pressure before the pass was even played. Really bad decision from Richter.

^^^ THIS! ^^^

It was a 100% suicide pass. Bekker didn't lose it. He did his best to salvage it. Richter hit it too hard and a full meter to Bekker's left leaving him stretching for contact. The ball is stolen and Bekker was stuck doing the splitz. TFC had a reasonable run of possession going there and one bad pass and we lose the match! No blame to Bekker as far as I'm concerned. I suppose this is the type of thing that happens when you bring in players who haven't played on the squad in months although it didn't hurt Hamilton or Wiedeman. Nice finishing boys!

Ah well, it was only a friendly and now we all know why Bloom is here and Richter isn't.

Blizzard
07-23-2014, 11:02 PM
I agree with you all give Bekker some Wilmington time just to wake him up. Hopefully Hamilton will get some minutes as the season progresses . All in all a decent result since this was a meaningless game.

Why not see if Ottawa will take him on loan?

prizby
07-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.

I didn't say get rid of the all-star game at all; I said the opposite, make it into the cornerstone even MLS is trying to make it look like by getting rid of all other possible distractions around it. MLS seems to be very clear in their message that in order to grow, they need to play these games and they feel they are necessary to play (I don't agree), but regardless, they need to cut out a time that doesn't affect the quality that could be played and can maximize the effectiveness MLS is trying to give these ideas/games.

For sake of argument using this year as an example, have a break in the schedule from July 20th to August 2nd and make the July 25-27 weekend the 'all-star' weekend where you have the various all-star events, maybe have the supporters summit if that is revived/still going, putting on the weekend makes it more travel-able for the average fan/supporter.

Having games clogged up in the middle of a season around busy time of the schedule, playing the ASG during CCL dates etc...just hinders what MLS wants to make of the events

prizby
07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
^^^ THIS! ^^^

It was a 100% suicide pass. Bekker didn't lose it. He did his best to salvage it. Richter hit it too hard and a full meter to Bekker's left leaving him stretching for contact. The ball is stolen and Bekker was stuck doing the splitz. TFC had a reasonable run of possession going there and one bad pass and we lose the match! No blame to Bekker as far as I'm concerned. I suppose this is the type of thing that happens when you bring in players who haven't played on the squad in months although it didn't hurt Hamilton or Wiedeman. Nice finishing boys!

Ah well, it was only a friendly and now we all know why Bloom is here and Richter isn't.

played with his left foot no less right? we have a total of 0 left footed centre backs; I think in the next year, TFC should make it a priority to acquire a left footed, ball playing centre back; was quite evident it was needed today; would have helped alleviate a lot of the pressure Tottenham put the back 4 on; would certainly work well against the higher pressure teams in MLS

notthesun
07-23-2014, 11:10 PM
played with his left foot no less right? we have a total of 0 left footed centre backs; I think in the next year, TFC should make it a priority to acquire a left footed, ball playing centre back; was quite evident it was needed today; would have helped alleviate a lot of the pressure Tottenham put the back 4 on; would certainly work well against the higher pressure teams in MLS

Like O'Dea? Haha :p

It's unfortunate with that giveaway because Richter had the simplest of passes to his left to Morgan, or if he was quick he could've switched it to Hagglund. He had better options even if he got the pass inch perfect.

prizby
07-23-2014, 11:13 PM

It's unfortunate with that giveaway because Richter had the simplest of passes to his left to Morgan, or if he was quick he could've switched it to Hagglund. He had better options even if he got the pass inch perfect.

I think nelsen, based on the way the defenders were passing the ball more up the centre a lot more today, encouraged his players to take more chances today...saw it work a few times today where passes weren't the safest option

i'd rather more of a jan vertonghen type

Blizzard
07-23-2014, 11:14 PM

I would have accepted an old fashioned thump down field.

Alonso
07-23-2014, 11:16 PM

I think you'll be happy with both of their performances.

Defoe
07-23-2014, 11:23 PM
I would have accepted an old fashioned thump down field.

I forgot about this game, can't believe it... oh well. I will have to watch it tommorow. This a good result for us, our depth seems to be improving and overall that is a huge step for MLS. It won't be long until the Hall's of the league are on their way out... glad Hamilton had a good game, wish he had more of flashier star type of name