PDA

View Full Version : Tottenham friendly July 23

Pages : 1 [2]

ag futbol
07-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Bekker's problem is he has zero football IQ. That can't be taught or coached.
I don't think football IQ is the issue. What is about him that makes you think he can't read the game? He's decent on set pieces and has a range of passing few players on our team do. I would say that ranks favourably in terms of his understanding of the game.

He just strikes me as 1) too lazy / entitled to track back 2) really not buying into what Nelsen is coaching. He's trying to play a style of game that simply doesn't exist on this team and doesn't fit in with his teammates.

We had trade offers last year, I'd pull the trigger on one if they were still around. He'd have more value to a possession based team than he would to ours, that's not going to eliminate his flaws but it might motivate him to work on his game more. We can take someone else's reclamation project that would fit better in our system.

I don't think a trip to North Carolina is going to accomplish much for him.

nonc
07-23-2014, 11:37 PM
Rofl at you people railing Bekker for the Spurs winner, forgetting the horrific pass by Richter he's lucky Bekker even attempted to get a foot on it. Our biggest scrubs got exposed, just like you might expect on paper. Hamilton was MLS ready this year but it was never in the cards for him after TFC's off-season, hopefully he goes to Europe if there's no intent to give him a role next year either. Q is also a stud who should probably look elsewhere. Good second half from them and DeRo, Lovitz and The Best Finisher of the Modern Era. Oso was solid too.

Blizzard
07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
I don't think football IQ is the issue. What is about him that makes you think he can't read the game? He's decent on set pieces and has a range of passing few players on our team do. I would say that ranks favourably in terms of his understanding of the game.

He just strikes me as 1) too lazy / entitled to track back 2) really not buying into what Nelsen is coaching. He's trying to play a style of game that simply doesn't exist on this team and doesn't fit in with his teammates.

We had trade offers last year, I'd pull the trigger on one if they were still around. He'd have more value to a possession based team than he would to ours, that's not going to eliminate his flaws but it might motivate him to work on his game more. We can take someone else's reclamation project that would fit better in our system.

I don't think a trip to North Carolina is going to accomplish much for him.

Football IQ is most definitely NOT Bekker's problem. I like the kid a lot. His passing, when it is on, can be absolutely sublime. Who else remembers (from earlier this year) a ball from the left wing he put on Defoe's chest in the box. Defoe skimmed it over the bar unfortunately but that ball had no business even getting to him. Bekker can play this game at a good level. As for his flaws, ya, he's got some work to do but think about this, when Floro dropped Tiebert from Canada, he kept Bekker.

notthesun
07-24-2014, 12:02 AM
Rofl at you people railing Bekker for the Spurs winner, forgetting the horrific pass by Richter he's lucky Bekker even attempted to get a foot on it. Our biggest scrubs got exposed, just like you might expect on paper. Hamilton was MLS ready this year but it was never in the cards for him after TFC's off-season, hopefully he goes to Europe if there's no intent to give him a role next year either. Q is also a stud who should probably look elsewhere. Good second half from them and DeRo, Lovitz and The Best Finisher of the Modern Era. Oso was solid too.

If Hamilton keeps progressing he'll get his chance in the first team next year. Besides Defoe we have no players locked into a starting role up top, if Hamilton deserves a sniff he'll be there. We didn't give him a homegrown contract to prevent him from going the NCAA route for nothing.

As for Roberts, he's 19. Where would a 19 year old GK look elsewhere? He has a starting position now with Wilmington, good luck finding the same at his age and position in any relevant league. He'll also get his chance, but he's more long term, as is the norm with keepers. Andre Blake, 23 years young and the first overall 2014 draft pick still hasn't seen the pitch because he's stuck behind MacMath in Philadelphia. Roberts is in a good place.

reggie
07-24-2014, 01:36 AM
anybody know who the guy sitting next to TL was?

Pookie
07-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Agreed. Get rid of all-star game and let the teams play a friendly game or two without worrying about league games.

Ever been to one?

Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly was one of the highlights of my support for MLS.

Excellent tempo with two teams that didn't want to lose. Great event

Fort York Redcoat
07-24-2014, 05:46 AM
I didn't say get rid of the all-star game at all; I said the opposite, make it into the cornerstone even MLS is trying to make it look like by getting rid of all other possible distractions around it. MLS seems to be very clear in their message that in order to grow, they need to play these games and they feel they are necessary to play (I don't agree), but regardless, they need to cut out a time that doesn't affect the quality that could be played and can maximize the effectiveness MLS is trying to give these ideas/games.

For sake of argument using this year as an example, have a break in the schedule from July 20th to August 2nd and make the July 25-27 weekend the 'all-star' weekend where you have the various all-star events, maybe have the supporters summit if that is revived/still going, putting on the weekend makes it more travel-able for the average fan/supporter.

Having games clogged up in the middle of a season around busy time of the schedule, playing the ASG during CCL dates etc...just hinders what MLS wants to make of the events

That's big of you seeing it from the leagues marketing perspective. Seriously. I don't see it being likely just because lengthening a season for a break makes the season sooooo long and we know that owners won't cut out games/money out of the schedule.

OgtheDim
07-24-2014, 06:29 AM
anybody know who the guy sitting next to TL was?

Daniel Levy - chairman of Spurs - the guy that TL had to persuade to sell Defoe. A lot of the last two days was about making him feel special.

prizby
07-24-2014, 07:00 AM
Daniel Levy - chairman of Spurs - the guy that TL had to persuade to sell Defoe. A lot of the last two days was about making him feel special.

no, the guy with the longer hair?

Still Kicking
07-24-2014, 07:07 AM
This is just a hunch of mine, but I feel that Tottenham took their foot off the gas, so to speak, in the second half and were content to let TFC back into the game. Spurs pressure was dialled way back. Defoe and Gilberto had been under a blanket in the first half, then Weideman and Hamilton were finding all kinds of space? TFC were making passes and Spurs were not intercepting.
We can worry about Richter's play, but I felt that Spurs were in a holding pattern and felt that they could turn it back on at any time.They did.

Phil
07-24-2014, 08:12 AM
This is just a hunch of mine, but I feel that Tottenham took their foot off the gas, so to speak, in the second half and were content to let TFC back into the game. Spurs pressure was dialled way back. Defoe and Gilberto had been under a blanket in the first half, then Weideman and Hamilton were finding all kinds of space? TFC were making passes and Spurs were not intercepting.
We can worry about Richter's play, but I felt that Spurs were in a holding pattern and felt that they could turn it back on at any time.They did.

They made some pretty heavy changes in the second half as did we. Their back line did make it look easier to get in though. When Tottenham wanted to score, they made it look super easy.

Canary10
07-24-2014, 08:28 AM
They made some pretty heavy changes in the second half as did we. Their back line did make it look easier to get in though. When Tottenham wanted to score, they made it look super easy.

Which is funny since Dawson was their captain last year. I'm still not sure he's that good. Kaboul looked better to me. Kaboul is also a monster.

OgtheDim
07-24-2014, 08:29 AM
They stopped pressing.

From what I saw they went from a 4-1-2-3 to a flat 4-4-2 in the second half. DeRo and Osorio did a lot of work in the second half as well, emulating Lovitz who just got stuck in. But, they gave up space between midfield and the back line. Any EPL scout there last night would have noticed.

jabbronies
07-24-2014, 09:01 AM

An MLS ready 18 year old? ya I don't think so. Best thing for him this year was to play down in Wilmington. He gets semi-pro experience and fuck up all he wants without serious repercussions to his confidence.

He won't be a TFC starter for at least a couple years. And IMO he should come off the bench before that even happens.

Canary10
07-24-2014, 09:19 AM
The game started pretty slow and the atmosphere at BMO was pretty muted. I'm surprised how quiet the Spurs supporters were except for a few minutes at the start. The game really warmed up though and the second half was fantastic. In the end I was really entertained. Think Jordan Hamilton was the real winner. Everyone I saw after was impressed by him.

Couchy81
07-24-2014, 09:21 AM

I'm pretty sure everyone calling out Bekker was referring to his casual jog down the field after the bad pass, not the pass or the miss.

TFC07
07-24-2014, 09:35 AM
Ever been to one?

Chelsea vs MLS All Stars in Philly was one of the highlights of my support for MLS.

Excellent tempo with two teams that didn't want to lose. Great event

West Ham vs MLS All Stars in Toronto was so much fun to watch. :rolleyes:

I personally believe All-Star game from soccer POV is a waste of time. There's no benefit from players side to play in all-star game unless you're auditioning to big clubs who might be watching the game. Even that is a long shot.

JamboAl
07-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Why not see if Ottawa will take him on loan?

I'll take him here in Ottawa on loan. The Fury have a lot of workman like players but little creativity...if that's what you want to call what Bekker brings to the field.

reggie
07-24-2014, 09:55 AM
no, the guy with the longer hair?

yes the guy with the long hair,maybe he was courting another player?

OgtheDim
07-24-2014, 11:15 AM
For the Spurs perspective http://www.thetottenhamway.com/2014/07/24/toronto-fc-vs-spurs-detailed-tactical-analysis/

Good analysis of their tactics.

Lennon
07-24-2014, 09:03 PM
A bit off topic .. but anybody know where I can get my hands on a Spurs/TFC scarf? I was told that they were sold out at halftime at BMO.

nonc
07-24-2014, 09:11 PM
An MLS ready 18 year old? ya I don't think so. Best thing for him this year was to play down in Wilmington. He gets semi-pro experience and fuck up all he wants without serious repercussions to his confidence.

He won't be a TFC starter for at least a couple years. And IMO he should come off the bench before that even happens.

Ever heard of Diego Fagundez, Doneil Henry and Michael Bradley? You see kids in Europe all the time too, it's not like this is baseball. Hamilton is physically dominant in the vein of Henry but already has some polish.

Fort York Redcoat
07-25-2014, 07:25 AM
A bit off topic .. but anybody know where I can get my hands on a Spurs/TFC scarf? I was told that they were sold out at halftime at BMO.

Dunno fer sure but I bet the dude by the GO will have some fake ones left over for ya.