PDA

View Full Version : Bez Must Go

ensco
04-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Just kidding.

Have we hit a lull, where there has been a ton of good discussion recently, and there is just nothing new to say about TFC right now?

If yes, what is to be done?

ManUtd4ever
04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Haha, you had me there for a second.

I think most of us have accepted that there isn't much to do at this point except wait and hope that this team gets healthy, and soon. If there is a valid criticism to be made, it's that management has yet to address our lack of depth, specifically in the midfield.

Shakes McQueen
04-16-2014, 09:06 PM
I think people are disappointed by the last game, but also know that the deck was stacked against us with so many people missing. So there's nothing to praise, but we also can't even really figure out what is worth critiquing.

We created chances, but weren't able to bank them. I'd go as far as to say I think we deserved a point from that game, at least.

So, all I can say is I hope most of our starters are back for the next one. I think Defoe is the key to getting Gilberto scoring goals, because they play well together. Gilberto is likely frustrated with the quality of MLS passing.

Richard
04-16-2014, 09:13 PM
It snowed yesterday, I guess that's kind of a metaphor for this team. When you think TFC are going to go on a nice roll, a bunch of injuries happen.

denime
04-16-2014, 09:19 PM
:prrr:

Initial B
04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Yeah, we need to ditch Timmy B and bring back Trader Mo. He'll set us straight...

Abou Sky
04-17-2014, 06:10 AM
lol, I was about to tear you a new one.

I want to find a Pittsburgh Riverhounds kit and put his name on it.

Anyone know what number he wore?

DOMIN8R
04-17-2014, 06:16 AM
What Shakes said and the injuries really got me down. And, of course, the wife doesn't understand. I'm limited to how much I can talk about it at home g:D.

Abou Sky
04-17-2014, 07:23 AM
^^^
I'm lucky because my son is mad for soccer so I get plenty of discussion at home.

It was pretty amusing on the drive to Columbus having Sky and Prizby quiz each other on MLS

ensco
04-17-2014, 07:24 AM
I have learned not to care about games that should have been ties that turn into losses.

Ask Portland about the value of ties, they have lost 2 of 6 and are 5 points behind us, and we have a game in hand.

It's should-have-been-wins that turn into ties that destroy the soul.

ensco
04-17-2014, 07:29 AM
I definitely feel that Bez hasn't done enough (ie anything) to address the domestic problem on this team. They are also holding onto Dike's slot to do something splashy-ish in the summer I guess, but in the meantime Weedman and Hamilton are going to play a fair bit....

Pookie
04-17-2014, 08:09 AM
For me the story of this season was written in the offseason. IMO, Bez is in a great honeymoon phase.

Though signing injured and old players meant that he was very likely to have a team experiencing injuries, I felt (and wrote) that fans would use that as an excuse. MLSE could point to "The season that could have been" and bring out the "we have the team going in the right direction" speech. Fans, as evidenced by the many injury lamenting posts that predict victory with a healthy line up are fully in line with this excuse pattern.

If they happen to win or compete, all the better, as they have "grit and heart" and all that fluffy stuff. Bez can sleep well at night. He wins regardless.

But honeymoons come to an end.

Where Bez's challenge is going to be is this offseason. This season was about selling tickets. Next season is about actually building and using the draft picks well. If that doesn't net results, the pressure can mount significantly.

If and when Defoe misses games throughout the rest of this season and continues this trend into next, many will start to question the value of having all that money tied up in him. Someone in the media will actually clue in that you get no budget relief for injured players and the opportunity cost of signing him while still on crutches while passing up other options was high, that will become a public point to debate.

Considering these TV ratings haven't improved (TFC drew less than Vancouver on TSN last week), someone in the board room will start to question the return that they are getting on this investment.

And if rumours are right and Tim L isn't long for the MLSE job, Bez will have a whole lot to answer for and will be answering them to someone else.

I know this thread is in jest but there is a serious storyline here that is being written as we speak. Pressure is on to produce in 2015 as eventually this injury excuse will wear itself out.

OgtheDim
04-17-2014, 08:19 AM
And if rumours are right and Tim L isn't long for the MLSE job, Bez will have a whole lot to answer for.

As far as I know, that rumour all stems from wishful thinking by the Star's Damian Cox about Shanahan magically being able to transform himself into a corporate CEO able to run MLSE, even though he has no business experience, no events experience, no marketing experience, no multi-sport experience, and no venue experience.

i.e. Puckhead media ignoring what MLSE has become because only the Leafs matter to them so therefore the top hockey guy of course is going to take over from TL and be just as successful. Bell and Rogers don't operate that way.

TL will likely be here for 5-7 years total (2018-2020), with the possible exception of Bell & Rogers falling out, which has been speculated about based on supposition, but not confirmed at the board level by any actions.

i.e. Everybody here is reading tea leaves.

Pookie
04-17-2014, 08:44 AM
I hadn't heard or read Cox's views. I heard it from Brunt who indicated rumours that TL wasn't thrilled with the ownership structure and ability to work within it.

Doesn't really matter though if he stays or goes. The pressure is on Bez starting next year

OgtheDim
04-17-2014, 08:49 AM
I hadn't heard or read Cox's views. I heard it from Brunt who indicated rumours that TL wasn't thrilled with the ownership structure and ability to work within it. ...

And my understanding is Brunt got that tidbit from Tannenbaum, who has an agenda to destabilize the Rogers/Bell partnership.

mdc 77
04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
TL will likely be here for 5-7 years total (2018-2020), with the possible exception of Bell & Rogers falling out, which has been speculated about based on supposition, but not confirmed at the board level by any actions.

i.e. Everybody here is reading tea leaves.

I'd say 5 years would be an absolute max for Tim. I'm thinking he's here 3 years...so another 2 to go.

Walms
04-17-2014, 08:58 AM
^^^
I'm lucky because my son is mad for soccer so I get plenty of discussion at home.

It was pretty amusing on the drive to Columbus having Sky and Prizby quiz each other on MLS

Dam that would of been good, you should of recorded it!

Thomas
04-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Boy, this sounds very pessimistic. We've just started the season. Can't we give the new crew a bit of time.

For me the story of this season was written in the offseason. IMO, Bez is in a great honeymoon phase.

Though signing injured and old players meant that he was very likely to have a team experiencing injuries, I felt (and wrote) that fans would use that as an excuse. MLSE could point to "The season that could have been" and bring out the "we have the team going in the right direction" speech. Fans, as evidenced by the many injury lamenting posts that predict victory with a healthy line up are fully in line with this excuse pattern.

If they happen to win or compete, all the better, as they have "grit and heart" and all that fluffy stuff. Bez can sleep well at night. He wins regardless.

But honeymoons come to an end.

Where Bez's challenge is going to be is this offseason. This season was about selling tickets. Next season is about actually building and using the draft picks well. If that doesn't net results, the pressure can mount significantly.

If and when Defoe misses games throughout the rest of this season and continues this trend into next, many will start to question the value of having all that money tied up in him. Someone in the media will actually clue in that you get no budget relief for injured players and the opportunity cost of signing him while still on crutches while passing up other options was high, that will become a public point to debate.

Considering these TV ratings haven't improved (TFC drew less than Vancouver on TSN last week), someone in the board room will start to question the return that they are getting on this investment.

And if rumours are right and Tim L isn't long for the MLSE job, Bez will have a whole lot to answer for and will be answering them to someone else.

I know this thread is in jest but there is a serious storyline here that is being written as we speak. Pressure is on to produce in 2015 as eventually this injury excuse will wear itself out.

Detroit_TFC
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Just kidding.

Have we hit a lull, where there has been a ton of good discussion recently, and there is just nothing new to say about TFC right now?

If yes, what is to be done?

Well Played Sir

jabbronies
04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
@enscoe has solidified my view on him as the new RPB message board "disturber of the peace". Only looking for drama.

I think Tim B and Co. are/should be looking at a 2 things right now:

- Dero's replacement. Coming into this season I thought this guy would surprise all the critics and show that he has something left to offer. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest he does. I don't see him lasting past next season at most. At his salary, do we go for a vet or a younger hot shot?

- Dike's replacement. Second big injury of his career. We all know how this plays out. We've seen it dozens of times in numerous sports.

gdg_9
04-17-2014, 01:39 PM
I think Tim B and Co. are/should be looking at a 2 things right now:

- Dero's replacement. Coming into this season I thought this guy would surprise all the critics and show that he has something left to offer. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest he does. I don't see him lasting past next season at most. At his salary, do we go for a vet or a younger hot shot?

- Dike's replacement. Second big injury of his career. We all know how this plays out. We've seen it dozens of times in numerous sports.

I agree with finding a replacement for Dike... but I think the other most pressing need is finding a replacment for Hall as backup to Bradley.

Dero can be replaced by Osorio, Bekker, Rey, Issey, or the potential Dike replacement.

Fort York Redcoat
04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Boy, this sounds very pessimistic. We've just started the season. Can't we give the new crew a bit of time.

We will. And now you've met Pook.

Grit and heart. Now in fluffy.

ensco
04-17-2014, 01:57 PM
@enscoe has solidified my view on him as the new RPB message board "disturber of the peace". Only looking for drama.

New?

Also I am always looking for drama, but not just looking for drama.

Phil
04-17-2014, 01:59 PM
New?

Clever guy....now I bet you name your band 'Free Beer' to pack the pub...:D

Free Beer tonight!

kodiakTFC
04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Haha, you had me there for a second.

I think most of us have accepted that there isn't much to do at this point except wait and hope that this team gets healthy, and soon. If there is a valid criticism to be made, it's that management has yet to address our lack of depth, specifically in the midfield.

I have to say, its very difficult to have actual depth in MLS. This is especially true when you have DPs taking up 300k chunks of your salary. I personally think we have good depth across the board but unfortunately we have a comically high level of injuries that has severely weakened us. Our depth in MF with DeRo and Bekker is pretty solid. Our depth up front with Dike is solid. However, a whole slew of injuries has really mess all this up.

Cashcleaner
04-17-2014, 02:18 PM
I only have one real concern. Not trying to be knee-jerk or anything, and I'm not throwing the guy under the bus. But I have a very minor worry about coaching in general. Just seen some mistakes here and there that frustrate me.

The level of talent on this roster is obvious, though - I have no big complaints there.

pdubs
04-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Bez needs a couple more transfer windows to really put his complete mark on this team. I like what has developed player wise with this team (even with the injuries) but there is still more work to be done obviously. In the short term it is midfield depth that needs to be addressed along with a Dike replacement if he isn't due to come back this summer.

jloome
04-17-2014, 06:29 PM
Bez needs a couple more transfer windows to really put his complete mark on this team. I like what has developed player wise with this team (even with the injuries) but there is still more work to be done obviously. In the short term it is midfield depth that needs to be addressed along with a Dike replacement if he isn't due to come back this summer.

I'm anxious to see what he does with all of those draft picks.

MartinUtd
04-17-2014, 07:04 PM
We could speculate until the cows come home. I'm in the "wait and see" camp at the moment.

That and I was on vacation... did you guys miss me?

ag futbol
04-17-2014, 08:06 PM
We could speculate until the cows come home. I'm in the "wait and see" camp at the moment.

That and I was on vacation... did you guys miss me?
We have nothing to complain about and new people (seemingly free of pessimism) have joined the forum. It's awful, bring back Mo.

ExiledRed
04-17-2014, 08:36 PM

class. :D

Auzzy
04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I definitely feel that Bez hasn't done enough (ie anything) to address the domestic problem on this team. They are also holding onto Dike's slot to do something splashy-ish in the summer I guess, but in the meantime Weedman and Hamilton are going to play a fair bit....

I think they've done "something" about the domestic situation, even if there's more needed. Hagglund, Konopka, Morrow, and Issey are decent domestic players for this league, and there are other decent ones who have been kept on, such as Osorio, Bloom, Bekker, Bendik, and Richter (decent at his salary).

I'm also not sure what you meant by "holding onto Dike's slot"?

ensco
04-18-2014, 07:33 AM
class. :D

Hey ER: Maggie Thatcher is dead, Fergie retired, and Liverpool is top of the table.

Somewhere there's a scouser with an empty lamp.

Oldtimer
04-18-2014, 11:47 AM
We have nothing to complain about and new people (seemingly free of pessimism) have joined the forum. It's awful, bring back Mo.

Very few personal attacks too. The mods have little to do! :)

This club is getting almost too competently managed!!!

LFC8
04-19-2014, 07:09 PM
There's an in-season injury thread....i'm sure that'll be jumpin right now!