PDA

View Full Version : Is there a TFC/Impact Trophy?

Initial B
04-09-2014, 02:00 PM
I was wondering if there was any thought about getting the two cities' Supporter Groups together to chip in to make a trophy to present to the winner of the seasonal clashes between the two teams. I think a Macdonald-Cartier Cup would help cement Montreal as a rival instead of beating on Columbus all the time. Didn't the Cascadians do something similar?

prizby
04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
we don't need a trophy to hate Montreal

Yohan
04-09-2014, 02:26 PM
don't need no trophy. the tears of Limpact supporters after beating them is enough reward.

trophies have their places, but Mtl-TFC rivalry isn't one of them

Pint
04-09-2014, 02:51 PM
The V-Cup? basically TFC and Montreal

Auzzy
04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
We should prepare a celebratory garbage bag or something like that.

Ivy
04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
I was wondering if there was any thought about getting the two cities' Supporter Groups together to chip in to make a trophy to present to the winner of the seasonal clashes between the two teams. I think a Macdonald-Cartier Cup would help cement Montreal as a rival instead of beating on Columbus all the time. Didn't the Cascadians do something similar?
Never. Ever ever ever.

Kaz
04-09-2014, 04:15 PM
We should prepare a celebratory garbage bag or something like that.

To me this is the only way a trophy should occur.

The Stanley Cup was Lord Stanley giving a cup to the champions of Hockey in Canada.

The Grey Cup was for Canadian Rugby Football because Stanley already gave the cup to Hockey.

The Voyagers cup we know.

These were organic not manufactured prizes. I think that if you want a Derby trophy to occur between Montreal and Toronto it has to come as either a Joke or out of fear of Americans... it's the Canadian way. :)

OgtheDim
04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
The winner gets to throw a diseased beaver over the border.

I just want to beat them. Don't need no trophies to make it worth while.

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Working with UMO2 will not be happening in the near future. There are issues to resolve.

And it's been said. We don't need a trophy for the rivalry, the only genuine rivalry as far as I'm concerned.

Mark in Ottawa
04-09-2014, 11:08 PM
They have the "amway" to play for and generate bragging rights.

Technorgasm
04-10-2014, 06:58 AM
http://www.britloos.co.uk/assets/images/news/2011/goldenpoo_179x151.jpg

Wince
04-10-2014, 07:11 AM
Mtl-TFC rivalry isn't one of them

Mtl-TFC rivalry is a bigger rivalry than TFC and Columbus, imo.

Wince
04-10-2014, 07:14 AM
The winner gets to throw a diseased beaver over the border.

One that welcomes people to Canada? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekLEG8xsOs

Oldtimer
04-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Working with UMO2 will not be happening in the near future.

That's an important point. There is no reasonable possibility that we could work with their group in any way. In fact, it is:

http://www.gkworld.com/media/img/gkworld/W377-H377-Bffffff/I/item81337_jpg.jpg

Ageroo
04-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Well.....I don't know about inconceivable......they are ok to work with when matter of CanMNT matters occur. They are actually accommodating to their bar when games occur in MTL.....just ask that no team colours be worn.

nascarguy
04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Mtl-TFC rivalry is a bigger rivalry than TFC and Columbus, imo.Columbus is a made up rivalry by mls and it sould end

ryan
04-10-2014, 08:38 AM
Columbus is a made up rivalry by mls and it sould end

Disagree. We have a good hatred going. I don't like how it was manufactured but I do love hating the fuck out of the piss team.

jabbronies
04-10-2014, 08:39 AM
It's called The Tabernac Cup and we have stuck it up their asses every year

Kaz
04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
You keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it does. (Sorry couldn't resist)

That's an important point. There is no reasonable possibility that we could work with their group in any way. In fact, it is:

http://www.gkworld.com/media/img/gkworld/W377-H377-Bffffff/I/item81337_jpg.jpg

Super
04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Disagree. We have a good hatred going. I don't like how it was manufactured but I do love hating the fuck out of the piss team.

No one really cares about the cup. In fact, it's kinda laughed at by everyone. What matters is the 3 points in each game. Trust me, I dislike Columbus as much as the next guy, and I've made 3 trips down there, but I'm not looking at the Trillium cup as something we should keep in our trophy case. That would be a bit silly.

Oldtimer
04-10-2014, 09:05 AM
You keep using that word? I do not think it means what you think it does. (Sorry couldn't resist)

Such a quotable movie. :D

Anyway, it doesn't matter what the sport is, it could be championship tiddlywinks. Toronto and Montreal have a natural rivalry that doesn't need some fake cup like the one with Columbus.

ryan
04-10-2014, 09:10 AM
I agree nobody cares about the cup, doesn't need to be one to consider them a rival.

On the other hand, I'm not opposed to possessing some tin trophy that reminds we thumped them fuckers.

Initial B
04-10-2014, 09:15 AM
So you guys don't want something to wave over the heads of the Ultras when jeering them? I like the idea of a Tabernac cup - sounds like a toilet seat wrapped in tinfoil.

gate7
04-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Columbus is a made up rivalry by mls and it sould end

u r right. ......but I hate em! I was at the famous road trip. I have
bad feelings towards them

OgtheDim
04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
So you guys don't want something to wave over the heads of the Ultras when jeering them? I like the idea of a Tabernac cup - sounds like a toilet seat wrapped in tinfoil.

Seeing as a few people here at BMO had seats literally thrown over at their heads by those guys......no I don't care to share anything officially with them but an intense desire to beat them.

I might...might....lose my desire to see them fail, if they ever ditch Joey Saputo.

Red4ever
04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Seeing as a few people here at BMO had seats literally thrown over at their heads by those guys......no I don't care to share anything officially with them but an intense desire to beat them.

I might...might....lose my desire to see them fail, if they ever ditch Joey Saputo.

Actually, you're right.

we should have a trophy made out of a gold plated ripped out seat that was thrown at our supporters. Just to tease them.

Red4ever
04-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Also anyone who says we aren't rivals with Columbus has lost the plot. We may not have been rivals to begin with, we are now after everything that went down.

Cashcleaner
04-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Rivals suggests there is some sort of equality or commonality between parties. I couldn't care less about Columbus, and I think most TFC fans don't really regard them any more or less than other Eastern conference clubs - and that's coming from a guy who's been on that roadtrip three times now.

Montreal is where the crazy love/hate shit happens. A lot of people will tell you that they love taking the trip to Montreal. It's a great town with lots of stuff to do on a weekend. But the Impact? Fuck those guys. And fuck their shitty-ass garbage bag waving fans.

I think there are few other rivalries in MLS that even come close to what TFC has with the Impact. And in fact, the lack of any official sanction as such from the league makes it all the more legitimate in my eyes.

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Why not have something maybe have Saputo an d MLSE get together and create a cup I have no problem with that

redisthenewblk
04-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Also anyone who says we aren't rivals with Columbus has lost the plot. We may not have been rivals to begin with, we are now after everything that went down.

Showing my ignorance here a bit, but could someone fill me in on what went down with Columbus?

prizby
04-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Showing my ignorance here a bit, but could someone fill me in on what went down with Columbus?

NODVExA3EAc

james
04-12-2014, 01:04 AM
They shouldn't have any trophy just for rival games, or to make it seem more like a rival, wish they would get rid of those in MLS.

james
04-12-2014, 01:11 AM
NODVExA3EAc

I was at this game, and a Montreal away game the following year. From what I remember there was a lot more punches thrown in Montreal. With no police or security once we were all outside of the stadium to stop it, Montreal supporters were looking for a fight, in the end a few people got hurt, some people ran away, it didn't last to long. I think the Montreal boys were just to young, half of them must of been 15. But anyways good times I tell ya, lol

Razcle
04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
I think most TFC fans don't really regard them any more or less than other Eastern conference clubs - and that's coming from a guy who's been on that roadtrip three times now.

You may be right about this however the lot of TFC faithful still have more of an edge towards Clown-bus than most other teams in the east. I just think you had to be there and experience the event and all the negative banter on this forum and BigSoccer back and fourth that fueled the hatred between us. Things were very heated and very negative over the forums and it was actually a lot of fun (as well as immature )

T-boy
04-12-2014, 08:46 AM
You can't "create" a rivalry by just making a cup. Rivalry isn't a simple idea. Even in the UK and Italy, where rivalries are common, it isn't always the obvious teams who are rivals (ie "local derby games"). South American countries its the same. Organic rivalry develops over years and years in football culture.

Here's a nice little read and some great stats about English rivalries. I love reading through the nicknames listed. (of course, it fails to say that Swindon people are called moonrakers cos they are so f-ing stupid, haha!):

http://www.footballfanscensus.com/issueresults/Club_Rivalries_Uncovered_Results.pdf

Cashcleaner
04-12-2014, 11:50 AM
^ Not THAT is a very interesting read. Thanks for the link, T-boy!