PDA

View Full Version : Is MLS out to kill NASL?

Initial B
04-08-2014, 01:12 PM
I've been reading about Atlanta's MLS expansions with some interest and I realized something. Regardless of arena issues, this is a big shot across the bow of NASL. I don't see the Silverbacks surviving once the MLS moves in.

This got me to thinking about the expansion moves MLS has made over the past few years:
1. Pulling Montreal away from NASL.
2. Their partnership and cooperation with USL Pro (NASL's closest competition), giving them legitimacy as the way for players to step up to MLS.
3. Giving a franchise to NYCFC, effectively shutting out the Cosmos as the 2nd New York MLS team.
4. Giving Beckham the keys to Miami, 20km from the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
5. Leaking news of a press conference in Atlanta that would take place the day before the Silverbacks' first home game of the season.
6. Holding talks with San Antonio, Indianapolis, Minnesota about possibly jumping to MLS.
7. Garber not stating that expansion will stop after 24 teams, which is raising alarm bells in NASL circles (as noted in the following article: http://www.soccerwire.com/news/leagues/mls/lines-drawn-mls-expansion-raises-knotty-issues-for-nasl-commish-bill-peterson/ )

I'm beginning to suspect that MLS' strategy is to deliberately target the existing (and profitable) NASL cities to squeeze the League into insolvency (and by extension their backer, Traffic Sports Marketing, whose VP Davidson is owner of the Railhawks). I wonder if MLS wants to set up a second division that they control as MLS2 and remove any chance of competing leagues in one fell swoop. I think the reasons for this were sown back in 2012 when Davidson stated he didn't want NASL to be seen as a reserve league (article: http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffense/archives/2012/04/12/not-when-but-whither-mls-president-visits-carolina-railhawks-supporters-and-triangle-media ). I think this may have effectively killed any possibility of the two organizations working together. I bet there's going to be a lot more articles coming out this week as soccer bloggers and reporters start digging around.

Can you imagine what a single-entity Div1 and Div2 MLS would look like? Maybe they'll introduce some form of promotion/relegation where almost all the non-playoff MLS teams will have to have a home-at-home playoff with a MLS2 counterpart to avoid relegation. Maybe they'll almost have the same salary cap so it's easier to get back into the first division again.

Is it just my paranoid delusions kicking in or does it sound like NA soccer league war is brewing? (Full Disclosure, I'm also an Ottawa Fury fan, so dissolution of the league would be disasterous for us.)

Oldtimer
04-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Promotion/relegation will not happen. However, it is possible that MLS may want to kill the NASL as they have seen themselves as a competitor to MLS.

Yohan
04-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Promotion/relegation will not happen. However, it is possible that MLS may want to kill the NASL as they have seen themselves as a competitor to MLS.
I think this is it. Kill NASL, take the best NASL teams into MLS, the weaker NASL teams get absorbed into USL which permanently becomes a feeder D2 league. (and NY Cosmos goes bankrupt)

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Maybe. But if I were in the MLS head office, I'd be looking at the biggest secondary markets for expansion. It only seems natural. But yeah, this Silverback's thing is a bit disturbing. I have no faith that the southeast and honestly believe only 1 of the 3 teams will survive. Probably Orlando despite the financial backing of the other two.

TFC07
04-08-2014, 02:27 PM
There's plenty of markets out there (especially if you include Canada) that NASL can still be successful. In fact, I would say NASL team in Southern Ontario (GTA or Hamilton) can be successful. I don't think MLS will kill NASL, but Canada soccer POV, death of NASL could mean all Canadian 2nd division league though. So maybe it's good thing for us (Canadian soccer fans) to hope NASL fails so we can form all Canadian league which I believe it can be successful due to lack of sports competition and average joe in Canada being more open to watch soccer than average joe in USA.

Beach_Red
04-08-2014, 02:28 PM

Yes. What MLS would really like is for college soccer to become a big deal. Dream big, imagine a Final Four of soccer or a college Bowl game championship.

Initial B
04-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Oh, they won't call it promotion/relegation if there is a chance for half the league to switch from MLS to MLS2. They'll call them some sort of secondary playoffs and use them to generate additional revenue for the clubs.

On second thought, perhaps MLS will attempt to wrest control of the individual owners and bring their teams and league under the single entity model. I think MLS really doesn't like Traffic Sports USA.

Super
04-08-2014, 02:39 PM
I personally think that the MLS is a little too busy expanding the league rather than address the main problems with it: the salary cap. More teams will mean less talent to go around for all MLS teams, and that will lower the quality of the product. Not a great thing when the league is trying to sell the product on TV. We need a much stronger on-field product MORE than we need more teams in the league. Just my 2 cents.

At least Becks agrees.

RealG-TFC
04-08-2014, 02:43 PM
If NASL dies, im sure there will be something else that springs up. Who knows, maybe if NASL dies we could have a Canada wide league (not including TFC, VWFC, IMFC).

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 02:50 PM
I personally think that the MLS is a little too busy expanding the league rather than address the main problems with it: the salary cap. More teams will mean less talent to go around for all MLS teams, and that will lower the quality of the product. Not a great thing when the league is trying to sell the product on TV. We need a much stronger on-field product MORE than we need more teams in the league. Just my 2 cents.

At least Becks agrees.

Beckham only wants to flood his team with cash so he doesn't have to put up the effort to grow anything. This is a vanity project for him and building a u12 academy in south FL is at the bottom of his priority list.

Super
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Beckham only wants to flood his team with cash so he doesn't have to put up the effort to grow anything. This is a vanity project for him and building a u12 academy in south FL is at the bottom of his priority list.

We don't know if he's planning on eventually building an academy like we've done. It's not a bad investment - and fans love homegrown players. I'm not too concerned. In terms of building the sport, I still feel that a local product that is of high quality is more likely to get people watching, at the stadium and on TV. That takes a lot of cash. At some point the MLS will have to make that leap anyway - or we'll never be a top 5 league. Might as well make the leap when we have this many teams with deep pockets. Plus the league is enjoying tons of attention right now.

nascarguy
04-08-2014, 07:36 PM
there is already 3 new east they need to get 3 west

ag futbol
04-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Maybe. But if I were in the MLS head office, I'd be looking at the biggest secondary markets for expansion. It only seems natural. But yeah, this Silverback's thing is a bit disturbing. I have no faith that the southeast and honestly believe only 1 of the 3 teams will survive. Probably Orlando despite the financial backing of the other two.
I think it's kind of sad that after making real inroads with SSS and quality ownership groups, everything has slid backwards in terms of the quality of the proposals they are looking at. ONE franchise that is disproportionately successful playing in a NFL stadium is being used to justify a whole rash of bad alternatives. Also think some of these groups have their own agendas and aren't the ideal business partners.

They'll pay for these choices eventually, if they don't tread carefully.

TFC07
04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Money talks. If someone giving you $75-100 million to join your league, then you take it and run with it. SSS don't matter anymore because it's too costly to maintain it and plus finding land to build SSS is also a challenge as well. Not every city can put SSS in downtown core like Toronto which is why I hate the idea sharing BMO field with CFL team. I don't mind sharing BMO field with others if BMO field didn't have to be completely rebuild to fit a CFL field while risk seeing football lines and torn out turf which will affect quality of the game.

nascarguy
04-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Hamilton tiger cats owner has the rights to a NASL soccer team that will play at the new field.

Shway
04-08-2014, 09:40 PM

At least Becks agrees.

I agree, and I've been extremely bothered by recent developments of the MLS.

First thing- Technically speaking there hasn't been any "expansion teams" SINCE Toronto, the newest "expansion team" will be NYCFC. The rest were existing franchises, with existing fans just being promoted to D1.

On the note of the expansion teams, the league was able to move to MLS out of 1.0 and into 2.0. However I think they aren't taking the necessary steps to move to 3.0 like changing the salary cap significantly, more SSS stadiums in the right areas, less turf fields, improving attendance,ect. Now I feel like there trying to grow without the work by taking teams from d2 or d3. This method will not grow the game, it definitely will not improve the product, and IMHO North America is too big for MLS to act like the rest of the major league sports.

I have many other issues, but ill turn my rant off

Shway
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Hamilton tiger cats owner has the rights to a NASL soccer team that will play at the new field.

There suppose to play in 2016, I read somewhere that they will have a youth setup so this will be good for Canada soccer

nascarguy
04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
There suppose to play in 2016, I read somewhere that they will have a youth setup so this will be good for Canada soccer
I'm hoping to buy season tickets but I have not heard anything yet

Shway
04-08-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm hoping to buy season tickets but I have not heard anything yet

Heard they were trying to first focus on launching the TiCats first for year 1, then launching the NASL team. The TiCats exclusive deal expired but got extended for their first rights to a professional team. Reason why TFC and the lynx USLpro bid failed

Yohan
04-08-2014, 09:57 PM

First thing- Technically speaking there hasn't been any "expansion teams" SINCE Toronto, the newest "expansion team" will be NYCFC. The rest were existing franchises, with existing fans just being promoted to D1.

On the note of the expansion teams, the league was able to move to MLS out of 1.0 and into 2.0. However I think they aren't taking the necessary steps to move to 3.0 like changing the salary cap significantly, more SSS stadiums in the right areas, less turf fields, improving attendance,ect. Now I feel like there trying to grow without the work by taking teams from d2 or d3. This method will not grow the game, it definitely will not improve the product, and IMHO North America is too big for MLS to act like the rest of the major league sports.

SJ had to start from scratch. and Philly

Dub Narcotic
04-09-2014, 12:04 AM

You are being too unfair to the league, although I share your concerns about NYCFC and Miami being made up of whole cloth:

1. How much more can they do on the stadium front? San Jose will open next year; D.C. has a plan in one of the most difficult cities to build in in North America, and they will probably try and re-locate Chivas next year. There aren't many other glaring situations except for NER, and if the owner doesn't want to move, they really can't do much.

2. The salary cap can only be re-negotiated when the CBA expires: that is at the end of the year. I actually don't care to see it go up much past $4 or $4.5 million. I'd rather see money spent on private planes for away trips, U-14 residency teams and stadium improvements. A big cap means less opportunity for domestic players of both nationalities.

3. Turf is the future, especially in this bad weather. In many cases, the league has no say in the matter in any case.

Doucet3
04-09-2014, 12:44 AM
I've been reading about Atlanta's MLS expansions with some interest and I realized something. Regardless of arena issues, this is a big shot across the bow of NASL. I don't see the Silverbacks surviving once the MLS moves in.

This got me to thinking about the expansion moves MLS has made over the past few years:
1. Pulling Montreal away from NASL.
2. Their partnership and cooperation with USL Pro (NASL's closest competition), giving them legitimacy as the way for players to step up to MLS.
3. Giving a franchise to NYCFC, effectively shutting out the Cosmos as the 2nd New York MLS team.
4. Giving Beckham the keys to Miami, 20km from the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
5. Leaking news of a press conference in Atlanta that would take place the day before the Silverbacks' first home game of the season.
6. Holding talks with San Antonio, Indianapolis, Minnesota about possibly jumping to MLS.
7. Garber not stating that expansion will stop after 24 teams, which is raising alarm bells in NASL circles (as noted in the following article: http://www.soccerwire.com/news/leagues/mls/lines-drawn-mls-expansion-raises-knotty-issues-for-nasl-commish-bill-peterson/ )

I'm beginning to suspect that MLS' strategy is to deliberately target the existing (and profitable) NASL cities to squeeze the League into insolvency (and by extension their backer, Traffic Sports Marketing, whose VP Davidson is owner of the Railhawks). I wonder if MLS wants to set up a second division that they control as MLS2 and remove any chance of competing leagues in one fell swoop. I think the reasons for this were sown back in 2012 when Davidson stated he didn't want NASL to be seen as a reserve league (article: http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffense/archives/2012/04/12/not-when-but-whither-mls-president-visits-carolina-railhawks-supporters-and-triangle-media ). I think this may have effectively killed any possibility of the two organizations working together. I bet there's going to be a lot more articles coming out this week as soccer bloggers and reporters start digging around.

Can you imagine what a single-entity Div1 and Div2 MLS would look like? Maybe they'll introduce some form of promotion/relegation where almost all the non-playoff MLS teams will have to have a home-at-home playoff with a MLS2 counterpart to avoid relegation. Maybe they'll almost have the same salary cap so it's easier to get back into the first division again.

Is it just my paranoid delusions kicking in or does it sound like NA soccer league war is brewing? (Full Disclosure, I'm also an Ottawa Fury fan, so dissolution of the league would be disasterous for us.)

I foresee the Silverbacks doing a MON and VAN and ATL just being "promoted" per say.

1. was a good business move for MLS
2. again a smart business move by MLS; stunts NASL growth kinda by not giving them that type of deal being the move skilled league, and USL isn't really competition so that type of deal is a win for both (MLS and USL) leagues cause the USL make some extra cash and MLS get a loanee lg.
3. The Cosmos already stated (I'm 90% sure) they never wanted to be in the MLS and when 2 owners buy a team like MCFC and NYY your not going to say no thats like telling a brinks truck to go away lol
4. Smart Business deal by MLS i agree the MLS gave him the keys to Miami and he's going to kill it in south florida and Orlando is the North the NASL in fla i can see declining allot.
5. In all honesty this was a orlando situation for me i seen ATL as the next viable team being the highest attendance team in the NASL.
6. I pray SA dosnt get a team… not cause they don't deserve it or wouldn't be able to hold one together i just think 3 teams in TX is to many and will turn out bad with one team turning into a Chivas with 6000 crowds.. just my thought; would love to see Minnesota United be "promoted" like MON and VAN and ATL

Personally i like the NASL i like Edmonton and will be interested in Ottawa as a canadian and i actually like the league its decent play not MLS but its interesting so id be pretty disappointed to see is fail yet again. the USL seems to big in terms of teams to be shut down so that kinda leaves NASL as the middle child to MLS and USL. I'd love to see a NASL and USL merger in terms of Div 2 but that won't happen. either way i was Ottawa and Edmonton to survive in the USL, a New Div 2 or in the MLS (will never happen)

Doucet3
04-09-2014, 12:54 AM
3. Turf is the future, especially in this bad weather. In many cases, the league has no say in the matter in any case.

:facepalm: if turf is the future were all fucked

james
04-09-2014, 01:07 AM
I think it's kind of sad that after making real inroads with SSS and quality ownership groups, everything has slid backwards in terms of the quality of the proposals they are looking at. ONE franchise that is disproportionately successful playing in a NFL stadium is being used to justify a whole rash of bad alternatives. Also think some of these groups have their own agendas and aren't the ideal business partners.

They'll pay for these choices eventually, if they don't tread carefully.

I completely agree, they are growing to fast now. THe league has improved a lot in the passed decade, they got a taste for money, and are now starting to lose there original slower growth of the league. I think they are making some mistakes.

Cashcleaner
04-09-2014, 01:14 AM
I don't think MLS really pays all that much attention to the NASL, and I highly doubt there is some sort of effort going on to undermine the lower league. At the end of the day, MLS has to answer for it's business decisions to it's investors and expansion is no different. Owners that can front the expansion fee, have a venue in place, and who have a long-term plan in place to market and promote the team are the ones that win bids. It's as simple as that.

And let's not forget that often those potential owners themselves have investors they need to keep happy as well, and if bidding for an MLS club is a risk their masters are willing to take, they will do so because the possible payoff is worth it. You can't blame the MLS for enticing the owners of NASL teams to make a switch to the top flight because it's a decision based almost completely on economics.

And promotion and relegation just won't happen for the same general reason - nobody with money on the line are comfortable operating in such a system because the monetary risks are far too great.

james
04-09-2014, 01:19 AM
I also worry how many teams will MLS have? I think they will go up to 30 teams. This will probably kill the chances of ever being more like a Europe schedule, best you could hope fol is a play every team 1 time, but more likely we will have some unbalanced division like set-up schedule. MLS will never want to go the 2 division tier system, teams payed money to join MLS and they want to stay in it forever, they would never except a relegation, and to be honest MLS business wouldn't even understand the system, it wouldn't make sense to them. Sorry for us but we live in North America, we will not be like Europe or South America (some South American/central/Mexico countries have a bit of a weird set-up them self's tho)

Cashcleaner
04-09-2014, 03:35 AM
^ Now THAT is my primary concern, to be honest. I'm very wary about the prospect of a 24-club MLS, nevermind 30 teams. That's thinning the domestic talent pool awfully thin and dividing the fanbase in certain areas which is still quite small compared to those of other North American sports. Not to mention throwing away all hopes of a balanced schedule which would give the league further legitimacy that it often claims it deserves but is not given by the rest of the world.

The only workable compromise I see in a league of 24 or more teams is if MLS is divided into two separate conferences and teams from each will only play against those from another in the playoffs.

Wooster_TFC
04-09-2014, 06:40 AM
:facepalm: if turf is the future were all fucked

Yes because turf has been such a problem at Wembley, the San Siro, and Bernabeu. Both Manchester teams, Liverpool, Tottenham and more...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desso_GrassMaster

While you're probably referring to crappy turf installations like we've had in the past then yes, I agree.

nascarguy
04-09-2014, 08:22 AM
I seen that youtube video about Wembley and soccer(football) kills grass more the CFL. our field was fucked up after the winter we had something has to be done

C.Ronaldo
04-09-2014, 08:52 AM
MLS is the call girl that anyone can afford.

It should be by invite only call girl like NHL / NFL

Initial B
04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Here's an interesting article:

http://the11.ca/2014/04/08/nasl-commissioner-to-meet-with-csa-execs-to-discuss-how-nasl-can-be-a-better-partner-to-canada/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nasl-commissioner-to-meet-with-csa-execs-to-discuss-how-nasl-can-be-a-better-partner-to-canada

Here are some of the more interesting quotes:

Peterson will meet with the Canadian Soccer Association officials. His stated goal? To find ways that NASL “can be a better partner” to the CSA. He said that, now that he’s settled in as the league commissioner, he wants to create a closer working relationship with the CSA... Peterson said the league “will explore options on how we can better align ourselves with the CSA’s professional goals.”

Peterson will no longer talk about specific cities — a marked change of strategy, as in his tenure we had grown used to him speaking quite candidly about what cities were in the expansion bubble.

I think he knows he's in a turf war with MLS and is looking to Canada as a way to legitimize the league's existence and provide additional survivability. Would the CSA consider sanctioning NASL as it's official Div 1 league? This could get very... interesting for all parties involved.

flatpicker
04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
The only workable compromise I see in a league of 24 or more teams is if MLS is divided into two separate conferences and teams from each will only play against those from another in the playoffs.

That would be my preference. Two single tables and then playoffs. A bit more like baseball.

OgtheDim
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Yes because turf has been such a problem at Wembley, the San Siro, and Bernabeu. Both Manchester teams, Liverpool, Tottenham and more...

While you're probably referring to crappy turf installations like we've had in the past then yes, I agree.

Different mixture of turf to real grass then what they will be getting in Atlanta.

Yohan
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM

http://the11.ca/2014/04/08/nasl-commissioner-to-meet-with-csa-execs-to-discuss-how-nasl-can-be-a-better-partner-to-canada/#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nasl-commissioner-to-meet-with-csa-execs-to-discuss-how-nasl-can-be-a-better-partner-to-canada

I think he knows he's in a turf war with MLS and is looking to Canada as a way to legitimize the league's existence and provide additional survivability. Would the CSA consider sanctioning NASL as it's official Div 1 league? This could get very... interesting for all parties involved.
never. you can only have only 1 sanctioned div 1 league per nation IIRC

jabbronies
04-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Canada wide league would not work. No one cares that much about Canadian soccer - it's a joke. Anything with a CSA logo on it is a joke.
No one cares about D2/3 soccer - it's boring to watch.
The league would not get the financial backing it would need to cover travel finances, player salaries etc. That alone would kill the league off in a year.

I think the college/university model may be the only thing that could work. The students and communities would be the ones you sell to (1-3k person stadiums)

Keep the teams playing each other local/accessible by bus and then have regional and national championships to finish off the season which are sponsored by big corporations.

OgtheDim
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Canada wide league would not work. No one cares that much about Canadian soccer - it's a joke. Anything with a CSA logo on it is a joke.
No one cares about D2/3 soccer - it's boring to watch.

Maybe for you but there are people who go to games in smaller communities. We will find out with the Ottawa Fury in a few days. There is potential for lower league support of a few hundred to a few thousand in a number of communities across Canada. Whether that can support a Canada wide league is another matter.

jabbronies
04-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Maybe for you but there are people who go to games in smaller communities. We will find out with the Ottawa Fury in a few days. There is potential for lower league support of a few hundred to a few thousand in a number of communities across Canada. Whether that can support a Canada wide league is another matter.

You only took part of my quote into consideration. You have to look at it as a whole.

I've bolded the part of your post that I agree with 100%
I do not think those numbers can support a Canada wide league - travel costs alone will kill teams.

I think the college/university model may be the only thing that could work. The students and communities would be the ones you sell to (1-3k person stadiums)

Keep the teams playing each other local/accessible by bus and then have regional and national championships to finish off the season which are sponsored by big corporations.

These numbers are College/University team numbers.

Use the CFL as a model of what a Canada wide Soccer league would need overcome.
Teams would need to pull in 20K each to be financially viable (FC Edmonton are only pulling in 2K per game)

OHL would be a regional league model that soccer could emulate - but I don't know how those teams are sustained.

Shway
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM

I actually think this is a brilliant approach for the NASL. Bill is rightfully frustrated with the fact that the MLS is continuing to "take" their franchises/markets. They recognize that the MLS is basically ignoring/using Canada, and know there is an opportunity for them to grow theiby tapping into the Canadian markets. They know the MLS will not be looking to further expand their Canadian markets, and there are several cities that are viable D2 markets like Calgary, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City,....London & Windsor.

I recently had a conversation with one of youth CMNT coaches, and I was talking to him about the future of Canadian soccer.
I was making mention of how the growth in performance of the U-17 teams (qualifying for 2 straight world cups) was a direct result of the emergence of the professional academies and how the continue growth could have a potential impact on Canada qualifying for the 2018 World Cup.

As I was smiling with optimism, he was looking at me very cynically.

He said: "I call 2018: Mission Impossible"
(I looked at him as if he just broke my heart)

He said the reason was because yes they do well at the youth level, but where do they go after that? There are't enough professional teams, which correlates with the number of professional academies, he also said there isn't enough CMNT players playing in top class environments, or getting significant minutes in the MLS.

He then asked me to name the 5 best players in Canada
...and I said 1. HUTCHINSON 2. OSOrio 3. umm ummm..he interupted me and said see there's my point

We NEED more professional teams in Canada, and the NASL is the way to go forward.

Initial B
04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
They know the MLS will not be looking to further expand their Canadian markets, and there are several cities that are viable D2 markets like Calgary, Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City,....London & Windsor. I'd also argue that Moncton Stadium is just about the right size for a NASL club (or Halifax, if they could ever get their stadium act together). I'd also like to see a team in Saskatchewan - preferably Saskatoon, but most likely Regina due to the new field. It would make sense for the CSA to back teams in those regions to piggyback onto a World Cup bid. Eight Canadian NASL teams would probably be the critical mass to generate better and better players. That would also provide NASL with a stable base of cities that MLS would have no interest of poaching.

ExiledRed
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
(FC Edmonton are only pulling in 2K per game)

Which is roughly what the Toronto Lynx pulled in before TFC arrived.

prizby
04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
the only thing MLS is killing these days is away support

Shway
04-09-2014, 05:57 PM
SJ had to start from scratch. and Philly

Stand corrected for Philly....however San Jose did not start from scratch,they restarted under the same franchise, and same history

Fort York Redcoat
04-09-2014, 06:02 PM
NASL is now working and competing with MLS teams for championships but its inception stuck in the craw of many USLers that were already a part of the American pyramid. Honestly, there's no reason not to "promote" or replace NASL since an NASL team can do the same to a USL city.

NASL has established their quality in very few years. Their place is assured in the American Soccer pyramid for years and years to come.

Yohan
04-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Stand corrected for Philly....however San Jose did not start from scratch,they restarted under the same franchise, and same history
technically not true. when old Earthquakes moved to Houston, they took everything with them, except history.

new SJ had to start from beginning, except history. they suffered from same problems that an expansion team had. in that sense, SJ is an expansion team (though just rebuilding on an old ground)

james
04-09-2014, 08:55 PM
^ Now THAT is my primary concern, to be honest. I'm very wary about the prospect of a 24-club MLS, nevermind 30 teams. That's thinning the domestic talent pool awfully thin and dividing the fanbase in certain areas which is still quite small compared to those of other North American sports. Not to mention throwing away all hopes of a balanced schedule which would give the league further legitimacy that it often claims it deserves but is not given by the rest of the world.

I agree

I wouldn't be surprised if we went into divisions like every other sport in USA/Canada, with an unbalanced schedule, however I would hate to see it.

But to look at it

24 teams- every team plays each other 2 times = 46 games that's most likely to many game for MLS in 8 month season.
24 teams- 12 in west and 12 in East. Play all teams in your division twice and play every team in the other division once =34 games. That is how many we played last year.

but as the numbers go up, I mean how do you do it if you have 28 teams or 30 team?
you could play every team once with 30 teams, but they you might have to few games with only 29. By East and West, play your division twice and the other division once you will end up with 43 games.

30 teams - 15 teams west and 15 east
Play only your division teams twice= 28 games
Play other division only in Playoffs/US open Cup/Canada Cup/Champions League

As the league grows in team numbers, without relegation i just don't see any other way to do a schedule without having divisions like NBA,NHL,NFL,MLB with unbalanced schedule unless you do as you said only play your division. But would everyone want to some years never play some of the teams? what if some of those teams in the other division got some super star players?

Abou Sky
04-09-2014, 10:31 PM
the only thing MLS is killing these days is away support

Can you elaborate?

Mark in Ottawa
04-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Promotion/relegation will not happen ... no matter how good it may be for the game.
Owners putting $75M USD into a franchise don't want any part of a second division with current average crowds of under 6,000 and no TV deal to get money generated from.

The fact that the NASL has no salary cap means that players "down the squad" on MLS teams look at the NASL as a viable alternative to getting similiar money and actually getting to play.
This threatens the MLS slightly but IMHO not enough for them to actively seek out to destroy the NASL.
They have a number of people saying "take my money" and so ... they are listening ...

ExiledRed
04-10-2014, 11:58 AM
technically not true. when old Earthquakes moved to Houston, they took everything with them, except history.

new SJ had to start from beginning, except history. they suffered from same problems that an expansion team had. in that sense, SJ is an expansion team (though just rebuilding on an old ground)

Out of curiosity, and pure google avoiding laziness... Wikipedia has SJ's honours intact.

Did the Dynamo take the honours with them or do SJ get to keep them. Who officially owns the honours for SJ prior to their switch to Houston?

Yohan
04-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Out of curiosity, and pure google avoiding laziness... Wikipedia has SJ's honours intact.

Did the Dynamo take the honours with them or do SJ get to keep them. Who officially owns the honours for SJ prior to their switch to Houston?
http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2014/01/40-years-heritage-40-years-pride

prizby
04-10-2014, 10:08 PM
Can you elaborate?

look at the outrageous west coast pricing for away supporters; Seattle fans had to pay $45 for a ticket and when they got it, it said face value was $27

Doucet3
04-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Come on lol were Toronto FC supporters of course I mean that terrible turf. If it's like United where it's a proper hybrid I'm all for it but I still prefer 100% grass.

ExiledRed
04-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Grassmaster is not fieldturf. it is heated fibres woven into real grass, there is no comparison.
The players on the teams you listed would balk at playing a season on fieldturf made with silicone and plastic.