PDA

View Full Version : Defoe and World Cup 2014 - Brazil

gracos
04-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Jay Rodriguez has been injured and has been ruled out of the World Cup
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/barclays-premier-league/saints-rodriguez-ruled-out-of-world-cup/

What does this mean for Jermain Defoe???

prizby
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Rooney, Sturridge are guaranteed barring injury

After that it is some combination (2) of

Welbeck, Defoe, Lambert, and Carroll

LFC8
04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
I don't think he would've made the cut anyways.

gate7
04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
anyone on here going to Brazil?

jazzy
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
If he hadn't been injured with this recurring hamstring I think the chances were good he'd be called up for back-up , as Hodgson likes experience over youth. Now not so sure . They are as usual at a crossroads . Will he go with youth ? Or an AM ?

Yohan
04-07-2014, 06:27 PM
I think Hodgson takes Carroll just because Carroll adds target man quality to the other strikers.

LFC8
04-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Sturridge and Lambert are 6'1 (an inch shorter than Carroll)....so i don't think Carroll's height will help him at all.

Yohan
04-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Sturridge and Lambert are 6'1 (an inch shorter than Carroll)....so i don't think Carroll's height will help him at all.
Sturridge and Lambert doesn't play like a target man?

it's not about the height, but the fact that Carroll is a pest in the air (and why Crouch was part of England set up for so long)

LFC8
04-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm just saying no way he makes it unless those two get injured. You can hold me to that.

flatpicker
04-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I think it's still a long shot for Defoe.
I like Lambert. Seen him play a couple of times for Bristol Rovers.

JDMD
04-08-2014, 09:16 AM
anyone on here going to Brazil?

Yes, I'm heading down! Have tickets to 3 matches!

jabbronies
04-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I think the bigger lose will be Bradley.

Without him our midfield is a flop

Ageroo
04-08-2014, 09:40 AM
I think the bigger lose will be Bradley.

Without him our midfield is a flop

Looked alright when he exited the game on saturday........If they stick to game plan I think we can manage.....but I am hopeful...lol

Mr_gamble
04-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I think Hodgson takes Carroll just because Carroll adds target man quality to the other strikers.

I hope we don't take Carroll. I'd much rather take that ex gas head (Lambert) over Carroll. Thats tough for me to say as a Bristol City fan. Haha.

jazzy
04-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I hope we don't take Carroll. I'd much rather take that ex gas head (Lambert) over Carroll. Thats tough for me to say as a Bristol City fan. Haha.

absolutely............we're going so backwards with Carroll. (nothing new I guess)

gate7
04-08-2014, 10:14 PM
Yes, I'm heading down! Have tickets to 3 matches!

right on, im going to one in Natal and one in Recife. (mex. vs croatia and greece vs japan) you?

JDMD
04-09-2014, 10:49 AM
right on, im going to one in Natal and one in Recife. (mex. vs croatia and greece vs japan) you?

Greece vs. Cote d'Ivoire in Fortaleza, Korea vs. Belgium in Sao Paulo, and then the winner of group G vs. runner up of group H in Porto Alegre!

gate7
04-09-2014, 11:31 PM
thats a great 1 week......I also have tix to Greece vs Ivory Coast as well as the quarter final in Salvador but wont be able to make it to those 2 matches....
I hear Fortaleza is crazy hot too

Globetrotter
04-12-2014, 10:00 PM
MLS shuts down for the round robin, so why is there constant talk about our players being gone? It's not like they can't get on a plane and come back when knocked out.

The reality is, the US is likely not going to advance, so we'll miss Bradley for one game (June 28th).

Defoe - if he even goes - might be in the same boat, only missing the 28th.

Cesar, we expect him to gone longer, but we didn't even expect to have him to be on our team in the first place and were content with Bendik.

Bradley has already missed 1 game, and Defoe has missed 2.5 games. That's more than what we would lose them for during the world cup. Unless England plays USA in the finals (lolololol on both accounts), i think this whole "our best guys are gone for the world cup" is way more talk than substance.

Yohan
04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
MLS shuts down for the round robin, so why is there constant talk about our players being gone? It's not like they can't get on a plane and come back when knocked out.

The reality is, the US is likely not going to advance, so we'll miss Bradley for one game (June 28th).

Defoe - if he even goes - might be in the same boat, only missing the 28th.

Cesar, we expect him to gone longer, but we didn't even expect to have him in the first place and were content with Bendik.

Bradley has already missed 1 game, and Defoe has missed 2.5 games. That's more than what we would lose them for during the world cup. Unless England plays USA in the finals (lolololol on both accounts), i think this whole "our best guys are gone for the world cup" is way more talk than substance.
players has to be released for national team 18 May IIRC

mowe
04-12-2014, 11:19 PM
^Correct. Bradley will miss at least 4 league games this summer. Defoe is likely to at least be named in the 30-man squad so he'll probably miss a couple games too. The deadline for the 23-man roster is June 2nd.

Incidentally, the final of the Voyageur's Cup is May 28th and June 4th. We're gonna have to win that shorthanded.

Yohan
04-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Get used to Bradley missing June every year. 2015 Gold Cup. 2016 Centennial Copa America. 2017 Gold Cup. 2018 WC

ExiledRed
04-13-2014, 02:07 PM
If defoe is selected he'll be home after three games

jabbronies
04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
does this factor in rest time for players coming back? Pretty sure they will at least get a weeks worth of rest before having to come back to training

jloome
04-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Dean Ashton says Defoe should go to the world cup in a BBC interview today. He and BBC announcer say career move wasn't the best, but that he's still England's best finisher and would be useful off the bench.

Can't link to it as the vid's not available in Canada.

Haddy
04-15-2014, 02:40 PM
Dean Ashton says Defoe should go to the world cup in a BBC interview today. He and BBC announcer say career move wasn't the best, but that he's still England's best finisher and would be useful off the bench.

Can't link to it as the vid's not available in Canada.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27001518

Works for me.

Canary10
04-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Welbeck is the one that shouldn't be going. The only reason he's in the conversation is who he plays for, and even that is slowly not to his advantage.