PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 5: Colorado at Toronto, Sat 12 April 4PM EST

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yohan
04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
TFC generally has been good against Colorado at home, and Rapids attack has been rather poor so far. Mastroeni has been grinding out results, but he's no Pareja.

2-0 TFC

Also, first tailgate of the season.

tiberius
04-06-2014, 12:13 PM
TFC generally has been good against Colorado at home, and Rapids attack has been rather poor so far. Mastroeni has been grinding out results, but he's no Pareja.

2-0 TFC

Given that several of the new starters yesterday will probably retain their spot for the Colorado game - they will be soooo motivated. I think this might be a blowout - 4-0 TFC. Perhaps I am being too pessimistic tho...g:D

Joe Kool
04-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Can't wait! The only thing with Defoe scoring the only goals in our first two games is that many people thought TFC would be nothing if they ever lost him for any reason. So nice to be able to say that ain't so. Hopefully weather will cooperate on gameday. Hitting up the Raps/Knicks game the night before so looking for 2 big wins to make my weekend.

LFC8
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM
So Defoe, Osorio and Henry are the injury questions going into this game. Although, Orr played great in place of Henry. If healthy i think they'll take Colorado easily otherwise it'll be a tough game. Really worried about Gilberto.....he's a very talented striker but not scoring so far seems to be bugging him alot and affecting his play. Good chance to bag one this week.

Yohan
04-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Orr and DeRo might be carrying a knock.

notthesun
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Basically, don't give them penalties and their offense can be contained fairly easily. The Rapids have 7 goals this year, 5 of which came from penalties (1 of them scored off the rebound).

Hopefully Defoe and Osorio can both return.

Kaz
04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
This is Winnable.. depending on the Ref. Toledo or Salazar and we are knackered.

pawlukj
04-06-2014, 01:19 PM
this is very winnable, going to the game cant wait

flatpicker
04-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Looking forward to it.
Gilberto is due for a goal.

Can we expect the pitch to look a little better?

LFC8
04-06-2014, 01:57 PM
[QUOTE=notthesun;1659796]Basically, don't give them penalties and their offense can be contained fairly easily. The Rapids have 7 goals this year, 5 of which came from penalties (1 of them scored off the rebound).

So the 3 keys to the game will be:

1: Don't concede any penalties
2: Do not foul them inside the penalty box
3: Do not hand ball it inside the penalty box

I'll be here next week guys.....

flatpicker
04-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Wait, so penalties are bad, right?

;)

TFC07
04-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Wow, Rapids offense is that bad? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rapids to bunker a lot and give TFC some space in the midfield to operate. Hopefully Defoe is healthy enough to play in this game. We need to score couple of goals in the first half to take out Rapids out of the game.

Is the pitch fixed now?

Pint
04-06-2014, 02:04 PM
The pitch should be better as we have had quite a few days in a row above freezing... I don't expect it to be perfect but much better

Yohan
04-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Wow, Rapids offense is that bad? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Rapids to bunker a lot and give TFC some space in the midfield to operate. Hopefully Defoe is healthy enough to play in this game. We need to score couple of goals in the first half to take out Rapids out of the game.

Is the pitch fixed now?
Gabby Torres and DeShorn Brown just haven't managed to get going yet. They will, in time. I just hope it's not next Sat

TFC07
04-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Weather forecast looks decent on Saturday.

Sunny and 8C (little colder than last night game in Columbus)

ensco
04-06-2014, 03:29 PM
This is a deceptively tough game. Colorado was a playoff team last year and appears to have gotten better. Check out Mari's tremendous goals this week (you have to see them to believe them, this guy is a DM!), Sanchez is very good too, these guys create chances out of absolutely nothing.

If we play well, I think it'll be Gilberto's coming out party. He feels due in a major way to me.

I don't see this as a 1-0 game, I think there'll be 5 goals or similar.

Abou Sky
04-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Anyone remember the Matchday thread last year started a few hours before kickoff?

Win or lose, this thread is proof that they are doing something right!

Excited already!

6 more sleeps.

valeo
04-06-2014, 09:26 PM
So Defoe, Osorio and Henry are the injury questions going into this game. Although, Orr played great in place of Henry. If healthy i think they'll take Colorado easily otherwise it'll be a tough game. Really worried about Gilberto.....he's a very talented striker but not scoring so far seems to be bugging him alot and affecting his play. Good chance to bag one this week.

It's only been 4 games, right? It's always tough for Brazilian strikers to settle in quickly - anywhere in the world, this is a problem. Especially in a place like Toronto, i'd imagine, where the weather and culture is so far removed from what he is used to.

I'm surprised reading comments on him - that people are worried he hasn't scored yet etc. I thought he actually did quite well in the last game; held it up, almost scored.

Mr_gamble
04-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Most new signings need time. Just because Defoe and Bradley are doing their stuff, doesn't mean Gilberto isn't doing well. He looks good, hes getting in to all the right places, and he can pick out others who have a chance on goal. He's going to be frustrated that he hasn't scored yet, but it will come, and I'm pretty sure that once he has his first, many more will follow.

notthesun
04-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Laba took about 4 games to settle in and really start playing at a high level as well. I actually think Gilberto in his first 4 games has shown better than Laba did in his first four - but strikers are judged by how many they score at the end of the day. I'm not worried, I think his quality is pretty clear.

valeo
04-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Most new signings need time. Just because Defoe and Bradley are doing their stuff, doesn't mean Gilberto isn't doing well. He looks good, hes getting in to all the right places, and he can pick out others who have a chance on goal. He's going to be frustrated that he hasn't scored yet, but it will come, and I'm pretty sure that once he has his first, many more will follow.

Yep. much easier for a guy like Defoe to come in and do well - he's friends with the coach, speaks English and is used to cold weather.

Give Gilberto half a season - he'll come good, from what i've seen.

Hamilton_Red
04-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Rapids got the result yesterday due some seriously bad officiating. Laba's red card was a brutal call. Mls refereeing at it's worst.

Colorado was very lucky to get anything from that game.

Hamilton_Red
04-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Gilberto is starting to look the business. Biggest problem is that he is not getting the service...it will come. Once Dero stops trying too hard ...and once Rey and Jackson start passing the ball..he will start scoring. When he does we are going to start racking up some big results.

Initial B
04-06-2014, 09:56 PM
I think the pitch is still going to be crappy and the cool weather won't do either team any favours. I'm hoping that TFC can grind out a result, but Colorado are deceptively good. I'll say 1-1.

Mr_gamble
04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm confident of a win. I'll go 3-1 TFC. At least the weather will be a bit more bearable than the first game at BMO ;)

LFC8
04-06-2014, 11:15 PM
It's only been 4 games, right? It's always tough for Brazilian strikers to settle in quickly - anywhere in the world, this is a problem. Especially in a place like Toronto, i'd imagine, where the weather and culture is so far removed from what he is used to.

I'm surprised reading comments on him - that people are worried he hasn't scored yet etc. I thought he actually did quite well in the last game; held it up, almost scored.

Oh no, i'm not saying Gilberto is a bust or anything. It just seems like he's gotten a little off of his game. He just needs to settle down and trust his teammates...if he does that the goals will come.

Cashcleaner
04-06-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm sooo looking forward to this Saturday's game. TFC is really starting to come together as a team - the Columbus match really showed us what this roster can do even when we're missing some key players.

The weather for the 12th looks pretty good so far. It will sunny but perhaps a bit chilly at +8 with a breeze. That might give us another advantages over the Rapids, who are likely going to experience relatively dry weather and temperatures reaching the low to mid 20s.

Looking good, TFC! :thumbsup:

Red CB Toronto
04-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Having just come back from the great experience by all in Columbus, I am really looking forward to Saturday at BMO. It is going to be a game where the Reds can really build on their mark. I really feel Jackson has stepped up his game, his speed really gives the Reds strength outside on the wings.

brad
04-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Agree with all of this.

To be honest, Gilberto is doing a lot better so far than I expected at this point, due to the issues you mention with settling. It's also clear that he is step behind in match fitness as well.

His all around game looks very good, he will be a solid player for this team. However, forwards always get judged on goals, so at a certain point that will become the focus. If I was a betting man, I would bet on 5-10 out of him this year, with those numbers going up in the next season or two.

Canary10
04-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Gilberto goes to ground way too easily in my opinion, which is bit worrisome in this league. But he had a pretty decent game against DC and linked up pretty well with Defoe. I would like to see him put one in the back of the net - that's what he's here for. Needs half a season before we can really start to evaluate him.

lanarkist
04-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Watching him in Columbus this weekend, I really think all we need to give Gilberto is time. He is incredibly gifted with his feet. We often joke about the foot skill of Brazilians and their reliance on it, but you can see with him it's so natural. His first touch bringing balls down might be the best on this team. I thought he played a great game, almost had his shot off the cross bar go in. All in all, he is incredibly talented, and if he isn't match fit yet, it scares me what he will be like fit, because he already seems to have at least a step on just about every defender.

barticusz
04-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Gilberto has played 3 games so far, and missed most of the preseason due to whatever injury he had. The guy is going to score goals in this league no doubt about it. He's made some great runs for far and kept plays alive very well.

Let's relax on this guy already. Just like all the flaming comments about Orr and Jackson. These guys are integral to the team and it's depth.

Cambassador
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM

2-0 TFC

I nabbed a ticket for this game; I would love to help out anyway I can at the Tail Gate!

Cheers,

Cam

trane
04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Gilberto is a quality CF, I expect 10-15 goals, they will come.

This is a game that we have to win. Not because we are in shit, but because we are better then them and we need to get all the points we can get, particularly at home, before the world cup.

Detroit_TFC
04-07-2014, 03:20 PM
^ agree 100%, we're cooked if complacency starts to creep in, or players start leaning on all the hype just because the opponent isn't big name.

jloome
04-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Gilberto is a quality CF, I expect 10-15 goals, they will come.

This is a game that we have to win. Not because we are in shit, but because we are better then them and we need to get all the points we can get, particularly at home, before the world cup.

Agreed. He played wide at Internacional a lot, or as a lone striker. I wonder if they knew how good a target man he'd be? Hold up is very good so far and he always looks dangerous.

Might be one of those guys who's very streaky, too, though.

Yohan
04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Agreed. He played wide at Internacional a lot, or as a lone striker. I wonder if they knew how good a target man he'd be? Hold up is very good so far and he always looks dangerous.

scored most of his goals in a 2 and half month period.

nick.mastro
04-07-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm still not sure about Gilberto , still need to see more. All I know is because were winning I'm not complaining, but if we were losing then id start getting critical. He needs a goal Saturday !

Shakes McQueen
04-07-2014, 10:43 PM
As long as we aren't down four guys again, I'd say we should be good for a 2-0 or 2-1 win - contingent on at least Defoe being back. If not, we still could, but less of a shoe-in.

I'm loving Gilberto so far, but I think he plays better with Defoe along side.

Kaz
04-07-2014, 11:31 PM
As long as we aren't down four guys again, I'd say we should be good for a 2-0 or 2-1 win - contingent on at least Defoe being back. If not, we still could, but less of a shoe-in.

Shouldn't be an issue we should avoid being down for.

figured it should be 5 or 6... which is not 4 ;)

As far as Gilberto goes... I figure he is playing in weather he may not have played in before.. 8 degrees maybe. So getting used to that, while not having a full pre seaon and dealing with a new team that plays a slightly different form of football.

More so is Dero isn't a threat so the Defence is more prone to mark Gilberto more heavily and keep him shut down.

I'd like to see this (if Defoe is still out)

--------------Gilberto-------
Jaskson---Issey----------Rey
------Ossorio----Bradley-----
Morrow--Caldwell--Henry--Orr

And see how that goes, and then let DeRo come in as a sub at about 60-65 minutes.

Of course I haven't seen Colorado play this season, the team will decide what is best I'm sure I trust their judgement 75%

PopePouri
04-08-2014, 12:25 AM
I'd be fascinated with what Nelsen does with the backline. Who does he sit for Caldwell? If it's Hagglund, you'll miss the atheticism and if it's Orr, you miss another dominant leader at the back. What about Henry when he comes back?

It's a great problem to have.

Cashcleaner
04-08-2014, 01:06 AM

Got nothing much to add but I totally agree with you on that.

I'm pretty confident Defoe is gonna be playing on Saturday. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think if his hamstring was in much worse shape, we probably would have heard of it by now. I'm glad Nelsen did the right thing and rested him over the Columbus match, but now I can't wait to see him up front along with Gilberto again at BMO Field.

I'd be fascinated with what Nelsen does with the backline. Who does he sit for Caldwell? If it's Hagglund, you'll miss the atheticism and if it's Orr, you miss another dominant leader at the back. What about Henry when he comes back?

Hard to say. Colorado has scored 7 goals in 4 games. But what's really interesting is when they've scored them. In all regular season matches this season, the Rapids have scored every single one of their goals in the 2nd half. Maybe Orr is the better pick because he has a bit more staying power, mentally speaking. That would be my guess.

trane
04-08-2014, 08:10 AM

I can see that, I can see him scoring in bunches when his is in the zone, just a feeling from some of his shots, like he is just a bit off.

Canary10
04-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Colorado has scored most of their goals on penalties, so....be effing careful in the box!!!

gdg_9
04-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Colorado has scored most of their goals on penalties, so....be effing careful in the box!!!

Another reason to let Henry rest his knee for one more week?

Canary10
04-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Another reason to let Henry rest his knee for one more week?

Yeah that's a good point. Might be a good idea if he's not 100% to give him extra rest.

Ageroo
04-08-2014, 09:44 AM

I say he might go for Hagglund with Caldwell. Orr seemed to pick up a knock and Henry is 100% yet I think.......based on Hagglund's game on Saturday I am ok with that.

BuSaPuNk
04-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I say he might go for Hagglund with Caldwell. Orr seemed to pick up a knock and Henry is 100% yet I think.......based on Hagglund's game on Saturday I am ok with that.

Agreed Hagglund deserves another start especially when you don't want to push Henry anymore then needed.

If also say Issey deserves a start over Rey just to give him a breather too. Nice to finally have some depth that guys can step in and get the job done.

ryan
04-08-2014, 12:35 PM
TSN just posted that Defoe, Henry is doubtful, Bradley is questionable.

Richard
04-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Link to the article, http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=448697

Not looking good.

ryan
04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
No mention of Osorio at least.

OgtheDim
04-08-2014, 12:38 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 12m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/453581542154305536) Doniel just told he feels "a lot better" but he said he doesn't expect to play on Saturday. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Neil Davidson ‏@NeilMDavidson (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson) 6m (https://twitter.com/NeilMDavidson/status/453585039935438848)
Defoe, Bradley, Henry, DeRo, Orosio, Rey and Bekker all hurting as #torontoFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23torontoFC&src=hash) returns to practice. Nelsen hopes most can recover this week.

I suspect there will be a video we will get later this afternoon getting all this straight from Nelsen.

notthesun
04-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Henry himself is saying he doesn't expect to play. If Orr can go with no problems, I'd give him the start. He was our best player against Columbus besides Bradley. I'm confident in Hagglund, especially beside Caldwell, if Orr can't go.

Nelsen said Bradley is suffering from "fatigue injuries". Knowing Bradley I'm going to guess he'll be fine come Saturday. A bunch of other players with minor injuries, too soon to tell whether they'll be available or not.

barticusz
04-08-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm hoping Bradley can go. Even if it's only for the first half. Get the lead and hold onto it in the second.

Ivy
04-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh boy... Another depth game. How exciting.

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Oh boy... Another depth game. How exciting.

I agree, it's very exciting to see how the squad performs.

LFC8
04-08-2014, 01:39 PM
I agree, it's very exciting to see how the squad performs.

I think he was being sarcastic lol. If we win though, i'll be alot more confident in our depth than i was before.

Ageroo
04-08-2014, 01:39 PM
I think he was being sarcastic lol. If we win though, i'll be alot more confident in our depth than i was before.

Trust me.....so is Martin....

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 01:54 PM
haha, well it's true. I do want to see more of Hagglund, Issey and Bekker. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a full sqaud but after last week confidence will be high among the fringe players. Hell even Bloom (who's play every minute so far) has made some pretty neat body fakes to create space for himself. He didn't have the swagger before.

ManUtd4ever
04-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Confidence is contagious. I have a lot more faith in our reserves after this past weekend.

Thomas
04-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Its too early in the week to know who is going to play. I suspect that a few of those players mentioned above will be playing this Saturday. I am thinking that Nellie stays on the cautionary side early in the week, and then we will find out later that so and so will be playing. At least that is my hope.

mowe
04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
I think we're looking at the same lineup as last week with Caldwell in for Orr. Hamstring injuries can become a recurring issue, so it's best to give Osorio and especially Defoe another week off.-

Ultra & Proud
04-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Confidence is contagious. I have a lot more faith in our reserves after this past weekend.
Same here. Testing our depth and surviving these tests would prove key if we are in a position for a decent second half push. Also would lessen the burden of VC & possibly CCL ones if we can rely on the bench to carry us, at least in first legs.

adam1001
04-08-2014, 03:49 PM
It's really not normal to have so many players injured all the time.

Initial B
04-08-2014, 03:54 PM
^ I agree. This seems to have always been a problem with this team. Could the injuries be due to the fact it's colder up here? Or could it be the training staff isn't very good?

Yohan
04-08-2014, 04:09 PM
^ I agree. This seems to have always been a problem with this team. Could the injuries be due to the fact it's colder up here? Or could it be the training staff isn't very good?
well, Nelsen thinks it's the turf field they practice on :P

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Bring back Real Madrid, upgrade the Kia facility!

..Maybe even sign Gabe Gala to a 1 day contract.

Kaz
04-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Based on Nelsen's comments today sounds like Henry was hurt more then a little, and Bekker sounds like he is done for a week or two too.

Joe Kool
04-08-2014, 04:35 PM
I think most of the players named by Nelsen will be out there on Saturday. I think the only sure bets to not play or make the bench will be Henry and Oso....maybe DeRo due to age and him not being able to recover as fast. I think he will make the bench for a possible sub if he is better. I think Nelsen is being cautious in his statements but also using the media to mess with Colorado scouting of our team info maybe so they can't tell who they will be facing.

ag futbol
04-08-2014, 07:31 PM
The level of injuries is getting slightly ridiculous. I hope they are examining the training regimen appropriately and checking to make sure everything is being done properly.

We could just be criminally unlucky, but you never know...

Cuppy
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Something is up with all these injuries. It's the norm for not just TFC but it seems with all sports teams inT.O throughout each teams respected season. Just don't understand

Richard
04-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Don't we have a new fitness coach? That might have something to do with it.

TFC07
04-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Maybe they're training too hard?

SirBobSaget
04-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Don't we have a new fitness coach? That might have something to do with it.

Yes formerly from Blackburn. Something is seriously wrong. All these players are being injured in training, and they are mostly muscle / strain injuries and not fluke impact injuries.

They need to seriously figure this out, 4 games into the season and half the roster is injured.

Hamilton_Red
04-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Taking the level of fitness up level will be a good thing in the long run. We shouldn't be to concerned about that. Short-term pain for long term gain...but why did we lose so many games last year in the last 10 minutes? European teams play far more games than MlS...with frequent mid-week games.

I'd like to see more mid-week games - tough with NA distances I suppose.

Yohan
04-09-2014, 12:23 AM
and bad attendances in a lot of markets

GuelphStorm2007
04-09-2014, 12:35 AM
IT is too early in the week to see who will be playing plus any coach does not want to reveal to much info to the opposition All I do know is Henry is definitely not ready this week according to what I read in the Forums.

Cashcleaner
04-09-2014, 12:51 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the weather does have something to do with it. I've been hearing a lot of complaints from friend and co-workers how hit the gym regularly or are involved in team sports. The whole winter seems like it's been bad for minor aches and sprains. For me personally I tend to get a minor pain in my leg when the barometric pressure changes rapidly, though I'll admit I'm as far from a professional athlete as one can get. :D

brad
04-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Taking the level of fitness up level will be a good thing in the long run. We shouldn't be to concerned about that. Short-term pain for long term gain...but why did we lose so many games last year in the last 10 minutes? European teams play far more games than MlS...with frequent mid-week games.

We lost games in the last 10 minutes because we were unable to retain possession of the football and we tired out from wave after wave of attack. No amount of fitness coaching can adjust for that. If you chase the ball around like that, you tire out.

ManUtd4ever
04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the weather does have something to do with it. I've been hearing a lot of complaints from friend and co-workers how hit the gym regularly or are involved in team sports. The whole winter seems like it's been bad for minor aches and sprains. For me personally I tend to get a minor pain in my leg when the barometric pressure changes rapidly, though I'll admit I'm as far from a professional athlete as one can get. :D

The weather definitely plays a part, especially for those with scar tissue.

PopePouri
04-09-2014, 09:52 AM
We're not special:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Cas87
04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
and bad attendances in a lot of markets

If you focus to summer mid-weeks (like this season due to the World Cup) you may be able to get moderate attendance.

But definitely no mid-weeks in March - June, September - December.

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2014, 10:30 AM
The mid week games are key to keeping the schedule intact as it is. I am really surprised how few games the Reds are actually playing in April considering it is a World Cup year and when you consider how many games the Reds are playing in July.

Red CB Toronto
04-09-2014, 10:32 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that General Bradley will be on the pitch come Saturday, he is just resting considering his schedule from last week.

QBall
04-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Bradley, Defoe, DeRo, Oso and Hall all possibly out for Saturday. I try and remain optimistic but man that's a lot of talent that won't be on the field. Hope Issey has some more magic for Saturday.

TFC07
04-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Bradley, Defoe, DeRo, Oso and Hall all possibly out for Saturday. I try and remain optimistic but man that's a lot of talent that won't be on the field. Hope Issey has some more magic for Saturday.

Don't worry, we got Wiedeman to save the day for us. :)

RealG-TFC
04-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Perfect opportunity for Gilberto to leave a mark.

Platts
04-09-2014, 11:51 AM
Perfect opportunity for Gilberto to leave a mark.

i agree

1 scrappy goal from our #9 and another clean sheet and i say job done.

Entertain us when the good weather comes and we are on top of the East.

Initial B
04-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I have to say, it's refreshing to see the supporters actually looking at this weekend with optimism, despite not having close to a first team on the field. If this was last year, everyone would be writing the game off or just praying the Reds could hold on for a tie.

Zentiger
04-09-2014, 12:07 PM
Toronto FC vs. Colorado Rapids
BMO Field (4 pm ET)
REFEREE: DAVE GANTAR
AR1: Philippe Briere
AR2: Richard Gamache
4TH: Justin Tasev

Yohan
04-09-2014, 12:08 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/08/toronto-fcs-bradley-questionable-for-saturdays-game

Bradley's 'fatigue injuries'. whatever that means.

mind games!

Joe Kool
04-09-2014, 01:00 PM
So I am thinking with Henry still out and Caldwell back they should give Hagglund another go. I know Orr would be the more experienced but I kind of like the mix of youth and experience. Good to have some young legs to make runs the older experienced player may be slower to do. What do people think? Orr or Hagglund beside Caldwell for this weekend?

Abou Sky
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
http://youtu.be/8dHUfy_YBps

Ivy
04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/08/toronto-fcs-bradley-questionable-for-saturdays-game

mind games!

Agreed. The guy is just tired, and Nelsen is trying to screw with Rapid's minds. Every game this year has been like that so far - weren't we missing half our squad 2 days before Seattle too?

Ill believe it when I see the starting XI an hour before kick off.

notthesun
04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
So I am thinking with Henry still out and Caldwell back they should give Hagglund another go. I know Orr would be the more experienced but I kind of like the mix of youth and experience. Good to have some young legs to make runs the older experienced player may be slower to do. What do people think? Orr or Hagglund beside Caldwell for this weekend?

I would start Orr. Another strong performance from him at CB will confirm we have a legitimate bench option to fill in there if either Henry or Caldwell are out. Hagglund was very good and I'm very high on him, but I think you favor experience in a situation like this. It was a very good decision by Nelsen to move Orr into the middle instead of playing Richter, who has been training at CB since the beginning of preseason.

Hagglund will get more opportunities this year. And the V-Cup is coming up, I bet he'll start against Vancouver.

Joe Kool
04-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Agreed. The guy is just tired, and Nelsen is trying to screw with Rapid's minds. Every game this year has been like that so far - weren't we missing half our squad 2 days before Seattle too?

Ill believe it when I see the starting XI an hour before kick off.

Totally agree...don't base anything off the Tuesday training update. The guy was tired. End of story. It was interesting to hear some of the Columbus players saying how overconfident they were playing TFC and TFC's performance took them by surprise. Now we have maybe the Rapids probably crossing their fingers that we will be without Bradley and Defoe. The longer they think that the better. Hopefully it is a secret until gameday.

QBall
04-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Don't worry, we got Wiedeman to save the day for us. :)

Let's pray for rain then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMGFIaL8to

Yohan
04-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I would start Orr. Another strong performance from him at CB will confirm we have a legitimate bench option to fill in there if either Henry or Caldwell are out. Hagglund was very good and I'm very high on him, but I think you favor experience in a situation like this. It was a very good decision by Nelsen to move Orr into the middle instead of playing Richter, who has been training at CB since the beginning of preseason.

Hagglund will get more opportunities this year. And the V-Cup is coming up, I bet he'll start against Vancouver.
I suppose Orr can start on Sat, but I think Nelsen likes the veteran/athletic CB combo. Caldwell/Henry and Orr/Hagglund pairing offsets a lot of each others weaknesses. Having Caldwell and Orr is pretty much 2 of same kind of CB.

Ivy
04-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Let's pray for rain then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrMGFIaL8to
god damn it, goosebumps again!
that stadium was SO loud, and look at the stands. Jesusssss.

trane
04-10-2014, 07:20 AM
The greatest finisher of the modern era. Our secret weapon.

Graeme
04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and I think Nelsen has been gaming the injuries a bit:

----------Cesar------------
Bloom--Caldwell--Orr---Morrow
Rey--Bradley--Bekker---Jackson
-------Defoe----Gilberto--------

Bench: Bendik, Osorio, DeRo, Weeds, Issey, Hagglund

ManUtd4ever
04-10-2014, 08:54 AM
The greatest finisher of the modern era. Our secret weapon.

LOL, it really was a spectacular finish though.

trane
04-10-2014, 01:57 PM
It was. And he was not the one that said it.

__wowza
04-10-2014, 02:06 PM

mind games!

to be fair, we've had a really tough schedule out of the gate:

artificial turf
followed by a home game on a frozen pitch
followed by a game at high altitude
followed by a game played in a landfill

molenshtain
04-10-2014, 02:10 PM
wrong thread

Super
04-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Hoping for nice weather. Please no rain. Please no major wind. Let's get a full stadium, great atmosphere. When it rains the atmosphere is absolutely horrible - unless you're dead center in the mix of the singing. But the rest of the stadium can't hear any of it, let alone the players. Unless we're chanting for ourselves?

Sometimes I wonder.

ManUtd4ever
04-10-2014, 02:50 PM
The weather is supposed to be perfect on Saturday. No worries in that regard.

Super
04-10-2014, 02:51 PM

Awesome!

We don't have many games at BMO that aren't completely ruined by weather. I'm thinking in terms of the game-play itself. The quality of the football.

notthesun
04-10-2014, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5dy5Lp3LL0

Klute still out for Colorado, leaving Burch to replace him. Wonder if Nelsen might line up Rey on the right side to attack him 1v1.

valeo
04-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and I think Nelsen has been gaming the injuries a bit:

----------Cesar------------
Bloom--Caldwell--Orr---Morrow
Rey--Bradley--Bekker---Jackson
-------Defoe----Gilberto--------

Bench: Bendik, Osorio, DeRo, Weeds, Issey, Hagglund

You'd be crazy to play Defoe if he still had a bit of a hamstring twinge - could put him out for half of the season if he re-injures it.

adam1001
04-10-2014, 10:24 PM
The pitch looks sooooo much better than the opener. Looks like the weather is going to be great too!

molenshtain
04-10-2014, 10:30 PM
If osorio is healthier than Defoe I'd love to see us play with osorio in the hole and play a true 4-2-3-1 for the first time since the beginning of last season. I think Gilberto would really benefit from having all those midfielders interchanging and creating space for him.

tfcocd
04-10-2014, 11:07 PM
If osorio is healthier than Defoe I'd love to see us play with osorio in the hole and play a true 4-2-3-1 for the first time since the beginning of last season. I think Gilberto would really benefit from having all those midfielders interchanging and creating space for him.

if TFC could develop Osorio and Bekker to play the 2 DM positions you could also slot Bradley in the hole. He may have capability to dominate in that role and contribute more to the attack.

Dero could also provide some depth in that role. That was a beautiful back heel he left for Gilberto to finish at Krew stadium.

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2014, 01:04 AM

I understand it will be about 16 and no rain

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2014, 01:06 AM
The pitch looks sooooo much better than the opener. Looks like the weather is going to be great too!

Of course the pitch will be good we have had some decent weather of late

molenshtain
04-11-2014, 01:06 AM

beautiful. hopefully that's enough for those on the east side to actually sit in there seats.

GuelphStorm2007
04-11-2014, 01:12 AM
beautiful. hopefully that's enough for those on the east side to actually sit in there seats.

Good comment LOL

Pookie
04-11-2014, 06:16 AM
Some of you really underestimate the significance of "tweaking" a hamstring.

A mild strain, as diagnosed with a MRI, typically sidelines players for 2-4 weeks. A player with repeated injuries to the same hamstring risks permanent muscle weakness if they return too soon.

OgtheDim
04-11-2014, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking neither Defoe nor Osorio are back until New England first week of May.

ochos
04-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Some of you really underestimate the significance of "tweaking" a hamstring. A mild strain, as diagnosed with a MRI, typically sidelines players for 2-4 weeks. A player with repeated injuries to the same hamstring risks permanent muscle weakness if they return too soon.Also in pro sports they use all sorts of tricks to get them back on the playing field ASAP - often with life long repercussions. The same tweaks/sprains/flare-ups I see in the gym/clinic take 2-3x longer to recover from for the average person, and even then you can be carrying around said issues for years to come

Canary10
04-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Some of you really underestimate the significance of "tweaking" a hamstring.

A mild strain, as diagnosed with a MRI, typically sidelines players for 2-4 weeks. A player with repeated injuries to the same hamstring risks permanent muscle weakness if they return too soon.

Sometimes. I've had hamstring problems for an entire season without missing games though. Really depends on what it is.

Yohan
04-11-2014, 08:43 AM
going to be a beautiful game day with 12-13 degrees celcius and sunny. i'm going to be pissed if the Reds wear that stupid 'onyx' kit :p

ryan
04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Based on Wileman's write up on tomorrow's match, Bradley is playing. http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=448959

No mention of Henry or Osorio, but with how well Bekker/Hagglund/Orr played last week I can't see them rushing them back if they aren't 100%.

Auzzy
04-11-2014, 08:53 AM

Actually a bit cooler by the lake, forecast 13 degrees for game time, with a light wind out of the southeast bringing the cooler temperatures off the water. Wonderful day though!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/hourly-weather-forecast/canada/ontario/toronto-islands

Pookie
04-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Sometimes. I've had hamstring problems for an entire season without missing games though. Really depends on what it is.

But Defoe hasn't. His has been significant enough to keep him out of action earlier in 2014 and in 2010. These are recurrent issues.

ochos
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Also while it's on my mind, I want to gauge how everyone intends to treat the returning former players - Wynne, Buddle, Labrocca and Sturgis? Personally I found the booing of Silva last home game classless and unwarranted. The guy was one of our best players for about two seasons, and as far as I know probably didn't want to leave Toronto. I'm not comparing him to guys like Dero or Robbo, but booing and chanting "TO reject" just seemed pathetic, not withstanding the fact it seems like half the league has played here at one point or another.

There was that controversial article on MLS (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/08/smorgasborg-columbus-booed-michael-bradley-standing-ovation-wouldve-been-mor) earlier this week that suggested to criticize the Crew fans for not recognizing the efforts from Bradley. Many pointed out in the comments that he chose to celebrate his goal in front of the Nordecke, which resulted in most of the jeering he then received.

Anyhow, I'm not saying we need to raucously applause every returning player like they've put in a Ronaldinho-esque performance, but I think it would show a lot of class if we showed appreciation for those who put on the Toronto shirt and did the badge proud. Almost certainly Marvel Wynne was a big personality during those early years, his glaring shortcomings aside. Neither Buddle or Sturgis played enough to really make an impact. Labrocca was no superstar but certainly booing wouldn't be warranted? I still have very fond memories of that goal he assisted that the wind finished off incredibly...

My $0.02. Thoughts?

KT

Canary10
04-11-2014, 09:04 AM
But Defoe hasn't. His has been significant enough to keep him out of action earlier in 2014 and in 2010. These are recurrent issues.

Well I wouldn't trust any of the reasons for him not playing at Spurs in 2014. I suspect he would have been playing if not for some politics. But yeah, no doubt it's recurrent. It's a fickle muscle.

Yohan
04-11-2014, 09:20 AM
courtesy of Wowza
https://i.imgur.com/w9VwZz0.png

https://i.imgur.com/ubmU3cy.png

OgtheDim
04-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Also while it's on my mind, I want to gauge how everyone intends to treat the returning former players - Wynne, Buddle, Labrocca and Sturgis? Personally I found the booing of Silva last home game classless and unwarranted. ...

My $0.02. Thoughts?

KT

Personally I booed him once or twice from my area because he was acting like an idiot and whining. And, yeah, he is a TO reject.

The Colorado 4 have been gone for so long I don't really care.

I'm looking forward to seeing Wynne in a central defence role - never thought I'd see that.

T-boy
04-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks to the songsheet posted above, I just realised I'm singing half the wrong words in at least 2 chants! lol!

ensco
04-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing Wynne in a central defence role - never thought I'd see that.

I think he has been playing CB since 2010. He was in the middle for sure in the 2010 MLS Cup.

sully
04-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Personally I booed him once or twice from my area because he was acting like an idiot and whining. And, yeah, he is a TO reject.

The Colorado 4 have been gone for so long I don't really care.

I heard on soccercentral podcast that Wynne is injured and won't be playing

Pookie
04-11-2014, 10:38 AM
Also while it's on my mind, I want to gauge how everyone intends to treat the returning former players - Wynne, Buddle, Labrocca and Sturgis? Personally I found the booing of Silva last home game classless and unwarranted. The guy was one of our best players for about two seasons, and as far as I know probably didn't want to leave Toronto. I'm not comparing him to guys like Dero or Robbo, but booing and chanting "TO reject" just seemed pathetic, not withstanding the fact it seems like half the league has played here at one point or another.

There was that controversial article on MLS (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/08/smorgasborg-columbus-booed-michael-bradley-standing-ovation-wouldve-been-mor) earlier this week that suggested to criticize the Crew fans for not recognizing the efforts from Bradley. Many pointed out in the comments that he chose to celebrate his goal in front of the Nordecke, which resulted in most of the jeering he then received.

Anyhow, I'm not saying we need to raucously applause every returning player like they've put in a Ronaldinho-esque performance, but I think it would show a lot of class if we showed appreciation for those who put on the Toronto shirt and did the badge proud. Almost certainly Marvel Wynne was a big personality during those early years, his glaring shortcomings aside. Neither Buddle or Sturgis played enough to really make an impact. Labrocca was no superstar but certainly booing wouldn't be warranted? I still have very fond memories of that goal he assisted that the wind finished off incredibly...

My $0.02. Thoughts?

KT

I think polite applause is warranted.

Wynne was all class when he spent time with my son at the Pub Crawls… back when you didn't have to buy a ticket to see the players at some dinner event.

T-boy
04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
It just shows how insular the MLS is when you see how many former players play against you each week!

Canary10
04-11-2014, 11:48 AM
Not really a surprise, but Defoe is out tomorrow. Damn.

ensco
04-11-2014, 11:50 AM
I think polite applause is warranted.

Wynne was all class when he spent time with my son at the Pub Crawls… back when you didn't have to buy a ticket to see the players at some dinner event.

I loved Marvell. Same for Edu.

OgtheDim
04-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Defoe, Osorio and Henry definately out.

Bradley not training and questionable - it ain't fatigue people.

Rey questionable.

ryan
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Looks like Rey may not play tomorrow either as per the journo's on Twitter.

Issey may be pushed into his first start.

Canary10
04-11-2014, 12:06 PM
All these injuries makes me wonder how good our physio is.

Red4ever
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Said me as an arsenal fan, oh like, every year.

Canary10
04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Said me as an arsenal fan, oh like, every year.

Ha, yeah. Hopefully we have no Ramseys.

PopePouri
04-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Well then question every physio in MLS.

Canary10
04-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Well then question every physio in MLS.

Ok. Why not?

notthesun
04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Given injuries and whatnot...

----------Julio Cesar------------
Bloom---Orr---Caldwell---Morrow
Issey--Bradley---Bekker--Jackson
-------DeRo-----Gilberto---------

Before the Columbus game I would've been worried with this lineup. Now I think we can get it done.

PopePouri
04-11-2014, 12:52 PM
Ok. Why not?

Because the physio is not responsible for each players movement, or the surface they play on or how injury prone that player is.

Plus, we are not special or cursed. Teams go through stages of bad injuries from week to week. This week is bad but it will always return to the mean.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/dallas_150.png
None
Last update: Mar. 28

GK Raul Fernandez (sports hernia)
D George John (R knee)
D Walker Zimmerman (groin)
D Zach Loyd (R hip strain)
M Andrew Jacobson (L ankle sprain)
M Adam Moffat (L hamstring strain)
M Andres Escobar (lower back sprain)

F Robbie Findley (R knee)
F Joao Plata (L hamstring)

M Sebastian Velasquez (L hamstring - doubtful)
D Aaron Maund (hamstring - doubtful)
F Jordan Allen (L ankle - doubtful)
D Kwame Watson-Siriboe (R knee - doubtful)
F Devon Sandoval (R foot - doubtful)
M Javier Morales (back - probable)
D Chris Schuler (R ankle - probable)
GK Nick Rimando (back spasms - probable)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/portland_150.png
M Steven Evans (back surgery)
M Rodney Wallace (L ACL surgery)
GK Donovan Ricketts (R knee)

M Kalif Alhassan (groin strain)
D Norberto Paparatto (groin strain)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/default/files/colorado_150.png
D Brian Mullan (L knee surgery)
D Chris Klute (R hamstring strain)
D Dillon Serna (L ankle sprain

GK Clint Irwin (R quad strain)
F Danny Mwanga (sports hernia surgery)

Canary10
04-11-2014, 01:17 PM
^ No, I blame the physiotherapists.

adam1001
04-11-2014, 01:28 PM
^ No, I blame the physiotherapists.

There really are no excuses to have half the team injured week in week out. This is getting ridiculous.

Cashcleaner
04-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Tomorrow is looking like it's gonna be a great day for a game. We're forecasted to have a high of 16, maybe 17 degrees with cloudy periods. The pitch will be dry and we'll have a very light breeze. Should be a typical spring day that won't give us or Colorado any particular advantage.

Ben - D.O.W.
04-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Given injuries and whatnot...

----------Julio Cesar------------
Bloom---Orr---Caldwell---Morrow
Issey--Bradley---Bekker--Jackson
-------DeRo-----Gilberto---------

Before the Columbus game I would've been worried with this lineup. Now I think we can get it done.

That's a line up I could live with - especially after Columbus like you said. Now if Bradley doesn't start, that's a whole other story and I'm not nearly as optimistic.

OgtheDim
04-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Meh..........a game is on and its time to buck it up and face an opponent we can beat.

We have Julio Cesar in goal for us. We have our captain back as CB. We have our starting RB and LB. With either Orr or Haggelund, defence should be fine.

We have Jackson and probably Issy on the wings.

In attack we have Gilberto and DeRo.

Bekker and Hall in the midfield............living dangerously but sucks to be us.

I'll take that team over much we have put on the field over the years.

As Nelsen said earlier this week, at home, we should expect to win. Nuff excuses.

Mount up.

Villa TFC
04-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Also while it's on my mind, I want to gauge how everyone intends to treat the returning former players - Wynne, Buddle, Labrocca and Sturgis? Personally I found the booing of Silva last home game classless and unwarranted.
KT

I would applaud Wynne if he played. He served us well, had no say in leaving and was class while here.

Sturgis and Buddle will barely feature as foot-notes in the history of TFC. I have nothing against them to warrant booing or jeering, but nor would I feel compelled to applaud them. I was no fan of Labrocca and was happy to see him move on, but again I bear him no ill-will whatsoever. I had nothing against Labrocca the person, just didn't feel he was a huge benefit on the pitch. If any of them gave a passing nod to TFC supporters, I would happily applaud back, but I don't really see why they would as none became fan favourites or got much loving while here. If any acted badly towards us tomorrow, they'll get the normal treatment that such antics from any opposing player gets.

As for Silva's treatment, I hadn't heard anyone booing him at the start and certainly agree that there would have been no justification for that treatment. However, when he started constantly whining to the ref and persistently cheating, he got the full impact from everyone around me. That was because of his behaviour, not because of past history, and in my opinion was fully justified.

RealG-TFC
04-11-2014, 01:56 PM
At least we have decent attacking options in Gilberto, DeRo, Issey, and Jackson.

CountryoverClub
04-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Bekker and Hall in the midfield............living dangerously but sucks to be us.

Is there any indication as to Bradley's status. I have seen nothing other than what was reported Monday...would be surprised if Bradley didnt start.

Fishnicker
04-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Burgundy Wave podcast http://www.blogtalkradio.com/burgundywave/2014/04/10/colorado-rapids-thugcast--episode-55

Apparently they think much the same of Wynne as we did. Great speed, horrible decision making, specializing in red cards and handballs.

And they seem to be huge Rey fans.

Outsiders perspectives can be refreshing.

Ben - D.O.W.
04-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Is there any indication as to Bradley's status. I have seen nothing other than what was reported Monday...would be surprised if Bradley didnt start.

There's been a ton of stuff on twitter today about him being questionable for Saturday. Same with Rey.

ExiledRed
04-11-2014, 02:26 PM
Sturgis and Buddle will barely feature as foot-notes in the history of TFC. I have nothing against them to warrant booing or jeering, but nor would I feel compelled to applaud them.

Buddle assisted the very first goal this team ever scored. Worth a nod dont you think?

flatpicker
04-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Shame Defoe won't be playing, but it's better to be safe with this sort of investment. We'll need him healthy down the stretch. At least we have some other attacking options. I really hope Bradley will be on the pitch tomorrow. He is everything to this team.

flatpicker
04-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Buddle assisted the very first goal this team ever scored. Worth a nod dont you think?

Worth more than a foot-note, for sure.

pdubs
04-11-2014, 02:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFt7NzHmZEU

Villa TFC
04-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Worth more than a foot-note, for sure.

Nah, just a foot foot-note. :rolleyes:

Canary10
04-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Nah, just a foot foot-note. :rolleyes:

I`d say more of an endnote.

OgtheDim
04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
If he can make it to Scarborough, he can make it to BMO. :)

https://twitter.com/TOsnowman/status/454711649979486208/photo/1

bignickel
04-11-2014, 03:22 PM

always thought the 23rd minute song should have sang - ooooh buddle dichio!!

InDa_110
04-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I think Gilberto needs to have a great game for us to win tomorrow. I know that last week he came very close, and we still managed a win, but I think for tomorrow at least one goal from him will be needed to secure a victory for us. If he scores I think it's great for his own confidence as well, but if he does not have a goal or a good game and appears lost as he has at times this year we will have problems.

ExiledRed
04-11-2014, 03:31 PM
I`d say more of an endnote.

Be nice.

We commemorate that goal every single game and we turned Dichio into a god.
Its disingenuos to pretend Buddle's input was irrelevant. If not for Mojo, absolutely terrible fieldturf and a slew of overhyped but mediocre players who were incapable of getting a ball up the field to a poacher style striker, Buddle could have had a lot more to contribute to our history.

He proved his worth for LA I remember, I still find it sad he was never given the opportunity to do so here.

The TO Reject chant is one of the most embarrassingly puerile chants we have, and its the kind of thing that makes good players not want to come here.

Super
04-11-2014, 04:06 PM
The TO Reject chant is one of the most embarrassingly puerile chants we have, and its the kind of thing that makes good players not want to come here.

I agree completely. Definitely very classless. Definitely very embarrasing. But just plain dumb when the chant is used against players who actually rejected TFC - which I believe was the case with Buddle. He didn't want to be here.

dantdot
04-11-2014, 04:22 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/11/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-and-cobi-jones-pick-week-6-matches

I preferred the underdog role.

ExiledRed
04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
He didn't want to be here.

Probably because he read the forums. He was being called a useless twat before we even played a competitive game, and the assist did nothing to change the general perception of him. I'd want to leave too.

Super
04-11-2014, 04:44 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/11/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-and-cobi-jones-pick-week-6-matches

I preferred the underdog role.

If we go back to our old losing ways then we'll be back to the underdog role. Winning changed that.

Richard
04-11-2014, 04:56 PM
If he can make it to Scarborough, he can make it to BMO. :)

https://twitter.com/TOsnowman/status/454711649979486208/photo/1

Damn. Anyone know where that was?

Yohan
04-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Damn. Anyone know where that was?
IIRC Town Centre

Yohan
04-11-2014, 06:28 PM
That Bekker-Hall CM combo is going to be ugly :(

pawlukj
04-11-2014, 08:56 PM
its my first game this season and i am excited to be back at home .. TFC!

ExiledRed
04-11-2014, 09:10 PM
its been so long since i was on here, i keep trying to click like on posts. hahaha

Red CB Toronto
04-11-2014, 09:44 PM
I have a pretty good feeling the General will take the pitch tomorrow, it is just my own gut feeling, but he is a warrior and it will take a lot for him not too. I know he had quite a last 10 days, but what performances for both club and country. Had the opportunity to talk with him today, man this team and city are lucky to have him.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/p403x403/10247484_10203276075564080_9084343795184677199_n.j pg

redisthenewblk
04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Seems like lots of guys think Orr is going to start next to Caldwell tomorrow. I have a hunch that Nelsen is going to pick Hagglund so that he can balance experience with speed and athleticism. Also Hagglund is also really good in the air (not that Orr isn't). Kind of hoping that's the route he takes. Would love to see Nick in action.

Pookie
04-12-2014, 06:53 AM
Here's the latest injury report (updated yesterday)

Out:

F Jermain Defoe (L hamstring strain)
D Doneil Henry (L knee strain)
D Ashtone Morgan (L hip flexor strain)
F Bright Dike (L Achilles)

Questionable:

M Jonathan Osorio (R hamstring strain)
M Michael Bradley (L quadriceps strain)
M/F Dwayne De Rosario (L calf contusion)
M Alvaro Rey (R hamstring tightness)

ensco
04-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Probably because he read the forums. He was being called a useless twat before we even played a competitive game, and the assist did nothing to change the general perception of him. I'd want to leave too.

Mo had traded for Cunningham, he didn't need 3 starting strikers, and until Marshall got here, Boyens and Braz were the CBs.

Buddle has had a bizarre career. One of the best striker in MLS in his early 20s, he was "washed up" when he got here. His first year in LA he didn't do much. His renaissance took everyone by surprise.

OgtheDim
04-12-2014, 07:56 AM
(https://twitter.com/BMOField/status/454685092246323200/photo/1)https://twitter.com/BMOField/status/454685092246323200/photo/1

Green grass apparently.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
The field looks perfect.

ManUtd4ever
04-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Out:

Questionable:

If our questionables become probables, we'll have a very strong lineup.

T-boy
04-12-2014, 08:24 AM

Out:

Questionable:

Woah, thank goodness we ave Weids!

We might see Hamilton get some gametime too?

Red CB Toronto
04-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Hamilton dressed last Saturday in Columbus, so would be interesting to see if he does take the pitch today at some point.

molenshtain
04-12-2014, 10:10 AM
GAMEDAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

I predict a 2-0 win, one or both goals from Gilberto and an assist from Bekker.

Gilberto9
04-12-2014, 10:16 AM
BEAUTIFUL day. Gonna be a great day at BMO. I'm a bit worried if Hall takes Bradley's spot alongside Bekker. Other than that, I'm pretty confident in the rest of the squad. I predict 2-2 if Bradley doesn't get on the pitch.

adam1001
04-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Crap. The TFC Projected Lineup guys are predicting a Hall-Bekker start. Come on Bradley, please play!

RealG-TFC
04-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Saw Jose Mari and another Rapid walking along King st. this morning at 10am. I haven't been able to patiently wait for this game since...

T-boy
04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Saw Jose Mari and another Rapid walking along King st. this morning at 10am. I haven't been able to patiently wait for this game since...

did you tackle them from behind? Get a yellow card? Or were you on the north side of King and they were offside? :p

tfcleeds
04-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Great game for Gilberto to finally open his account. He'll have to I think, if we're to come away with 3 points.

Soccerpro
04-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Jeremy hall is predicted to start next to Kyle Bekker. So much for that victory.....

OgtheDim
04-12-2014, 11:49 AM
The predictions have never been completely accurate. But I doubt Bradley is playing. I'm still calling Issey over Rey.

DOMIN8R
04-12-2014, 12:16 PM
TFC Projected Line Up is rarely completely accurate.

Oops. Edit. I just did some fact checking on my post. That's not completely accurate, if you consider the past 2 years or so.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 01:31 PM
We've caught a bit of a break, Vicente Sanchez didn't travel with Colorado as he's expecting the birth of his child.

pdubs
04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 1m (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/455060284869459969) The @ExpediaCA (https://twitter.com/ExpediaCA) Starting XI: Julio Cesar, Bloom, Caldwell, Orr, Morrow, Jackson, Bekker, Hall, Issey, Gilberto, De Rosario. #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash)

mowe
04-12-2014, 02:15 PM
No Bradley:

The @ExpediaCA (https://twitter.com/ExpediaCA) Starting XI: Julio Cesar, Bloom, Caldwell, Orr, Morrow, Jackson, Bekker, Hall, Issey, Gilberto, De Rosario.

#TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) Bench: Bendik, Morgan, Agbossoumonde, Hagglund, Richter, Wiedeman, Hamilton.

pdubs
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
oooo boy 4 defenders on bench eep

Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 33s (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/455061707128594432) #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) Bench: Bendik, Morgan, Agbossoumonde, Hagglund, Richter, Wiedeman, Hamilton.

speckles
04-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Bugger....

speckles
04-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Need some early break and a touch of magic from Gilberto..then hang on....

notthesun
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
These injuries are ridiculous, wow. Our team is completely gutted. Not one midfielder on the bench. Hamilton might even get playing time today.

ensco
04-12-2014, 02:27 PM
No Bradley, no Defoe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIdIqbv7SPo

shwade
04-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Why are all these guys' hamstrings messed up. Weird.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Morgan not taking part in warmups according to Neil Davidson. He was nursing an injury throughout the week as well. So we basically have a 6-man bench.

Colorado is starting Jose Mari, Sturgis, LaBrocca and Powers in a 4-4-2 according to the team's twitter. Not a wide guy in there. They're going to be clogging and playing through the middle for sure. Need good offensive contributions from Jackson, Issey, Bloom and Morrow.

ensco
04-12-2014, 02:47 PM
What is Ricky Titus doing today?

speckles
04-12-2014, 02:48 PM
this could get very ugly...

MartinUtd
04-12-2014, 02:50 PM
I hope Hamilton can play CM or out wide because we have a pretty thin looking bench.

Still, we have some versatile players on the field so I could see Hagglund coming and Orr moving into midfield if necessary.

Richard
04-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Most of these are training related injuries, fire the fitness coach, this is unacceptable.

jloome
04-12-2014, 02:59 PM
this could get very ugly...

Huge opportunity for Bekker-Hall to show they can play the same two-way system, cover each other etc. Bekker had five interceptions last week, so he might be stepping up.

Valdal
04-12-2014, 03:21 PM
TFC Putting on some pressure the past 5 minutes

pdubs
04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
if dero could link a few passes....

notthesun
04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Decent start for us so far. Gilberto is key in this one, already providing nice hold up play again.

jloome
04-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Last five minutes, Hall has had three opportunities to challenge for the ball, and instead has just marked his man deeper and deeper into our end.

If we don't maintain the high pressure from the first few minutes and keep dropping back, we'll lose.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Wow, that was fantastic build up. Too bad Issey isn't the quickest.

jloome
04-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Wow, Bekker looking Bradley-esque.

jloome
04-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Anyone else suffering through the horrible Colorado announcers? Yeesh.

ag futbol
04-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Not a bad start at all given the circumstances

dutch
04-12-2014, 03:37 PM
any streams??

firstrow is shoddy at best

notthesun
04-12-2014, 03:39 PM
any streams??

firstrow is shoddy at best

TSN stream: http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/253498/1/watch-toronto-fc-vs-colorado-rapids.html

ensco
04-12-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm liking the physical play from Bekker. That's new from him.

ag futbol
Obvious tactical foul by bekker, why DeVos doen't realize that I'll never know.

It was a good play. He killed the play when we were at a disadvantage, that's what a good DM does.

dutch
is this game on mls live as well?

pdubs
04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
jackson has so much speed and acceleration it is nice to watch

Fushida
04-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Very lethargic by Gilberto so far. May be frustrating to not get any service on the ground but he's just been out for a stroll for the last 15 min or so.

shwade
04-12-2014, 03:53 PM
TSN: Julio Cesar - 2 shutouts this season.

Ugh, would it kill them to not use hockey terminology.

ag futbol
04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Very lethargic by Gilberto so far. May be frustrating to not get any service on the ground but he's just been out for a stroll for the last 15 min or so.
Dude, nobody is getting him the ball. It's like lobbed within 20 yards of him and all he can do is chase lost causes.

If we want him to score, the midfield has to get him the ball. If he blows it at that point I'll complain, but don't judge the guy for doing little when we haven't given him a platform to do anything.

shwade
04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Also, does DeVos have to specify it's Toronto FC that he's talking about? There's no other Toronto on the pitch that he has to mention FC every single time.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Good fight from Gilberto to even direct that hopeful cross towards goal. Really want him to get an open look this game.

pdubs
04-12-2014, 03:57 PM

i think his defensive workrate has been good. as well as his hold up play.

jloome
04-12-2014, 03:59 PM
I can't help but think that playing with Bradley has had an enormous impact on Bekker. He looks like a different player.

pdubs
04-12-2014, 04:00 PM
solid first half with 5 starters missing. field is still bad. link up play has been ok but our passes need to be better. may be a byproduct of the field cause the Rapids haven't done anything either.

ensco
Gilberto is playing lone striker, working super hard and creating space for others. He has an edge. He's having a great game!

I love the guy. The goals will come.

adam1001
Not an impressive half. But at least we're not down with half the team out again.

mowe
Frustrating half. Didn't really create any chances, our CMs don't offer much going forward. Whichever team grinds out a goal gets 3 points.

rocktml
04-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Ugly ugly game. pains me to say this but the atmosphere is horrible.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 04:01 PM
I can't help but think that playing with Bradley has had an enormous impact on Bekker. He looks like a different player.

He's doing fairly well out there. Getting Bradley might have been the best thing we could've done for Bekker's career.

We're missing Rey. Issey is doing ok but he doesn't have the ball skils to open things up. Defenders aren't afraid of him. The backline is looking good though, Morrow is having another very good game.

ag futbol
04-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Decent half.

Bekker did well
Morrow has been involved
Farran is struggling a bit
Jackson doing defensive work as usual

I would strongly suggest dropping Dero back and banking Gilberto straight against the cbs. Farran + Jackson will never get the ball forward and Bekker is dropping deep to get things started.

JavierMartini
was that a handball on issey's strike (in the box)

Fushida
Dude, nobody is getting him the ball. It's like lobbed within 20 yards of him and all he can do is chase lost causes.

If we want him to score, the midfield has to get him the ball. If he blows it at that point I'll complain, but don't judge the guy for doing little when we haven't given him a platform to do anything.

What's with the defensive reply? Did I not say that he's not getting any service right in my post? I just added his defensive workrate isn't there, look at DeRo versus him. It's not a huge deal, but there's been several occasions in our own half where he had been stationary where some closing down would have been useful. I'm not talking about chasing down Colorado's defenders in their half.

JavierMartini
Decent half.

Bekker did well
Morrow has been involved
Farran is struggling a bit
Jackson doing defensive work as usual

I would strongly suggest dropping Dero back and banking Gilberto straight against the cbs. Farran + Jackson will never get the ball forward and Bekker is dropping deep to get things started.

hall has been garbage. He does not even challenge for headers. IMHO i'd rather see orr put in midfield and haggalund brought back in D over Hall

Fushida
04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Gilberto is playing lone striker, working super hard and creating space for others. He has an edge. He's having a great game!

I love the guy. The goals will come.

He's doing well offensively with what he's been given, which is not much. Feels like DeRo is playing more advanced than Gilberto though, and I'm hoping it'll be more the other way around. His speed is too useful to be wasted in a deeper position.

ag futbol
hall has been garbage. He does not even challenge for headers. IMHO i'd rather see orr put in midfield and haggalund brought back in D over Hall

I thought that much was obvious :D

He's like the box-to-box mid that doesn't defend or attack, haha

adam1001

Hall has no place on my beer league team, nevermind MLS.

PAOK17
04-12-2014, 04:07 PM
What's with the defensive reply? Did I not say that he's not getting any service right in my post? I just added his defensive workrate isn't there, look at DeRo versus him. It's not a huge deal, but there's been several occasions in our own half where he had been stationary where some closing down would have been useful. I'm not talking about chasing down Colorado's defenders in their half.
Why are we expecting strikers to play defensive in our own half? That's not the striker's role. I think he's better off getting into a good position for a quick counter. Unless all 10 of Colorado's outfield players are in our half, we shouldn't need to defend with all of our 10.

Anyway, I really hate the sloppiness of this game.

notthesun
04-12-2014, 04:08 PM
was that a handball on issey's strike (in the box)

I wouldn't expect any cheap penalties. Gantar has awarded 1 penalty in 24 MLS games.

JavierMartini
04-12-2014, 04:08 PM
I thought that much was obvious :D

He's like the box-to-box mid that doesn't defend or attack, haha

hahaha, nope just half jumps for headers not winning 1.

JavierMartini
04-12-2014, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't expect any cheap penalties. Gantar has awarded 1 penalty in 24 MLS games.

I noticed that, was just wondering if it hit the guy's hand.

2mil4dero+santo
He's doing fairly well out there. Getting Bradley might have been the best thing we could've done for Bekker's career.

We're missing Rey. Issey is doing ok but he doesn't have the ball skils to open things up. Defenders aren't afraid of him. The backline is looking good though, Morrow is having another very good game.

This game is screaming out for Alvaro Rey...

PizzaEatingYeti
The quality of the play is utter shit.
Not even talking about the fact that we are over possessed grossly, as usually.
We are generating almost nothing going forward.
Team's play is resuming 75% to defense.
In these condition would be a miracle if we win, and an excellent result if we can squeeze out a point of this match.
I'm fed up with this shit... this is how a team which spent 100 million on 3 designated players is playing?
And don't give me the reason that half the team is injured!
We are 10-15% in the season, WTF, so nobody tell me about injuries.
F...u...ck this sh...it!

dupont
04-12-2014, 04:10 PM
The quality of the play is utter shit.
Not even talking about the fact that we are over possessed grossly, as usually.
We are generating almost nothing going forward.
Team's play is resuming 75% to defense.
In these condition would be a miracle if we win, and an excellent result if we can squeeze out a point of this match.
I'm fed up with this shit... this is how a team which spent 100 million on 3 designated players is playing?
And don't give me the reason that half the team is injured!
We are 10-15% in the season, WTF, so nobody tell me about injuries.
F...u...ck this sh...it!

Quite the first post.

Fushida
04-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Why are we expecting strikers to play defensive in our own half? That's not the striker's role. I think he's better off getting into a good position for a quick counter. Unless all 10 of Colorado's outfield players are in our half, we shouldn't need to defend with all of our 10.

Anyway, I really hate the sloppiness of this game.

So you're saying he should be hugging the back line of Colorado's defense? Well I mean, if you were the coach you can tell him that but that's obviously not what Nelsen is telling the players, because DeRo and Gilberto are both dropping deep in defense when out of possession. Thing is he was playing deeper than DeRo at times, but a bit stationary. So, not in position to counter, nor was he doing defensive work, which is all I was pointing out.

PAOK17
04-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I feel like getting Twitter just to tweet Jason de Vos every time he says Toronto FC. I'd expect that from Joe Bowen talking TFC during a Leafs game, not a former central defender of the Canadian National Team.

I mean he puts the effort in referring them as professional "footballers" when "soccer player" would be accessible, yet he doesn't notice the cacophony of saying Toronto FC every single time he mentions the team.