PDA

View Full Version : I guess if we make the CONCACAF Champions League....

jloome
05-16-2008, 01:53 AM
...the team will have to play in the bubble?:

24-26 February: Quarterfinal, Game 1

http://concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4171

werewolf
05-16-2008, 01:54 AM
this bubble?

http://www.terrifictoronto.com/images/rogerscenterfromsouth.jpg

Laurignano
05-16-2008, 02:10 AM
yeah we would def. have to play at the sky dome. Thats right, i called it the skydome.

TFC+Argos4Life
05-16-2008, 03:20 AM
WHAT!?!?!?!? The soccer team wants to come into the ARGOS house!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! This was built for CANADIAN FOOTBALL, GET LOST TFC, GO BUILD YOUR OWN DOME!!!!

/endsarcasm

See how ridiculous it sounds?

Fiin
05-16-2008, 04:41 AM
WHAT!?!?!?!? The soccer team wants to come into the ARGOS house!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! This was built for CANADIAN FOOTBALL, GET LOST TFC, GO BUILD YOUR OWN DOME!!!!

/endsarcasm

Actually it was built for the BlueJays.

king10
05-16-2008, 06:55 AM

true say.. argos get out of there too find your own home

TFC Tifoso
05-16-2008, 07:04 AM

/endsarcasm

No it doesn't sound ridiculous at all. TedDome won't have to be altered for TFC, no construction will take place, no seats will be permanently moved, the game will not interfere with the Argos' schedule, and no "gameday experience" will be ruined...if anything, some actual cheering may be done in there. Your post does not make sense.

SilverSamurai
05-16-2008, 07:17 AM
yeah we would def. have to play at the sky dome. Thats right, i called it the skydome.

What else would it be called? ;)

ACSertL
05-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Either the dome or we might get screwed and have to play at a 'neutral' venue.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Well, looking at the numbers for Montreal away it looks like we will have work ahead to fill the Dome for the Champs league. As much as I think its a atmo-vacuum I'll be there to take it on...

Glory_Hunter
05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
In an earlier post somewhere mlsintoronto or bmofield said that they would take down the bubble at BMO for this.

olegunnar
05-16-2008, 07:31 AM

/endsarcasm

I think your beef is against the motorcross, monster trucks, spring flig, disney on ice, blue jays, buffalo bills, stars of asia tour, golden oldies, the unforgettable tour, Leo Ku, Flo Rida. Those events are scheduled this summer. That's not to mention you can rent the skydome for movies, conferences, private events, family events etc. etc. It's a multi use facility, you can't have a beef about who uses it.

By contrast, our soccer specific stadium has TFC games(soccer), the Canada Cup(soccer) and various soccer friendlies (Brazil vs Krakow for example).

Note the diffference: Skydome multi use <> BMO Soccer Specific

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I really have sympathy for the players but I would Luv it if they played at BMO anyway. Buy a TFC winter coat, maybe they'd sell Irish Coffee. I mean, Anybody watch that Canada game v Estonia? The snow...

Does the snow damage the turf? Just wonder why it;s winterized.

Bdking2
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, looking at the numbers for Montreal away it looks like we will have work ahead to fill the Dome for the Champs league. As much as I think its a atmo-vacuum I'll be there to take it on...

I don't think you can assume just because people don't want or can't make a mid week road trip that they are uninterested in the Champs League.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
I hope you're right! I hope to see you there and we can bounce our voices around the Dome!

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
I like the idea of the dome for a February game, the lower bowl of it is just over 31,000 seats, so the season ticket holders could be assigned there seats, be offered the option to purchase more, every halfseason and Marlies pack people would be offered tickets and you could really make it an event to showcase the team to the entire city. The entire 500 level could be like $10 seat.

On a sidenote I am a little surprised that this has never been done for a Galaxy game, look at the crowds that teams like RBNY get for their games against them, I am sure 50,000 people to see the Reds plus Becks would not be out of the question.

Bobinhood
05-16-2008, 09:31 AM
All i wanna know is how much are the tickets to Japan gonna Run? :D

Don Julio
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
In an earlier post somewhere mlsintoronto or bmofield said that they would take down the bubble at BMO for this.

Exactly. Paul answered this directly and promised the game would be played outside at BMO Field with no bubble. :D

Daveisonfire
05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
I think your beef is against the motorcross, monster trucks, spring flig, disney on ice, blue jays, buffalo bills, stars of asia tour, golden oldies, the unforgettable tour, Leo Ku, Flo Rida. Those events are scheduled this summer. That's not to mention you can rent the skydome for movies, conferences, private events, family events etc. etc. It's a multi use facility, you can't have a beef about who uses it.

By contrast, our soccer specific stadium has TFC games(soccer), the Canada Cup(soccer) and various soccer friendlies (Brazil vs Krakow for example).

Note the diffference: Skydome multi use <> BMO Soccer Specific

Oh and a Genesis concert:p

jloome
05-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Exactly. Paul answered this directly and promised the game would be played outside at BMO Field with no bubble. :D

Nice in theory, but on Feb. 24, snow might not be the only issue; in fact, if the sky's sunny and blue that'll probably just mean it's colder. Either way, there's no way trhey're going to play outdoors in subzero weather.

Cashcleaner
05-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Actually it was built for both teams and concerts. In fact, the Argonauts played there a few months before the Jays did if I remember correctly.

Also, concerts were supposed to be a mainstay of the facility as well, but the acoustics were soundly (no pun intended) criticised by many performers in the first year and now you'd be hard pressed to find bands wanting to play there.

As for the subject at hand, I'm pretty sure MLSE would want to hold as many matches at BMO Field as possible. Even if that includes having to use a yellow ball.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
The Blue Jays first game was on June 5, 1989 vs. the Brewers while the Argos first pre-season game that season at the Skydome was June 29.

footyfan
05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Either the dome or we might get screwed and have to play at a 'neutral' venue.

oh ffs no!

Don't do what New England did one year when they made the Champions Cup. They played their "home" leg, in Bermuda!

What's the problem with taking the bubble off for the game?

You're in Canada,it's February, let the cold be your home field advantage against some Carribbean or Central American team. I will never forget a snowy game against this islander team that didn't even have cold weather gear when they came to play United. I think it ended 5-0 in our favor. :)

James17930
05-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Not saying you're lying, but I think Paul may have been having a bit of fun there.

Playing a game at BMO in Feb. would be the stupidest thing they could ever do -- even worse then sharing BMO with the Argos.

TFC07
oh ffs no!

Don't do what New England did one year when they made the Champions Cup. They played their "home" leg, in Bermuda!

You're in Canada,it's February, let the cold be your home field advantage against some Carribbean or Central American team. I will never forget a snowy game against this islander team that didn't even have cold weather gear when they came to play United. I think it ended 5-0 in our favor. :)

But the problem is that most of our players aren't used to playing in cold as well. Just imagine how would Guevara react when we play in the cold? He will prolly start complaining about the weather and demand a trade. lol

werewolf
^ that must be why the government wants to annex the Turks and Caicos, so we can play national and club games there in the winter!

Razcle
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
I like the idea of the dome for a February game, the lower bowl of it is just over 31,000 seats, so the season ticket holders could be assigned there seats, be offered the option to purchase more, every halfseason and Marlies pack people would be offered tickets and you could really make it an event to showcase the team to the entire city. The entire 500 level could be like $10 seat.

On a sidenote I am a little surprised that this has never been done for a Galaxy game, look at the crowds that teams like RBNY get for their games against them, I am sure 50,000 people to see the Reds plus Becks would not be out of the question.

I would be pumped to watch the soccer game at the dome..even from the 500 level if the tickets we $10...I think we could bring the atmosphere....

BUt the reason they don't use the dome for TFC games vs the Galaxy is because they are shit and Beckham never plays anyways.....the reasons they Redbulls game is not also played is because they are also SHITE....and the atmosphere at BMO is too good to pass up on. '

Just my 2cents

Damien
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
^ that must be why the government wants to annex the Turks and Caicos, so we can play national and club games there in the winter!

That would be sweet.

TFC Tifoso
05-16-2008, 12:59 PM

No, BMO Field is our house, that is where we play. We need expansion to 30000 at BMO, we don't need to play in the TedDome.

Laurignano
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
IMO I wouldnt mind the skydome if we could PACK The house! I dont care what many of you say but if we could some how, some way get 60 k fans to the game, i think it would be quite amazing.

footyfan
05-16-2008, 01:17 PM
But the problem is that most of our players aren't used to playing in cold as well. Just imagine how would Guevara react when we play in the cold? He will prolly start complaining about the weather and demand a trade. lol

But neither were ours. And it was bitterly cold, like 10 below zero F. The difference is your players will (hopefully) train in the weeks prior to the game. And Guevara has played in the cold before in New York.

Here is an article about that game from a Jamaican newspaper:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20080303T210000-0500_133157_OBS_H_VIEW_VS_DC_UNITED_FLASHBACK.asp

And photos:
http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2005a/0309_dc_hvfc_ajm/tn/sm_web_31_ajm.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2005a/0309_dc_hvfc_ajm/tn/sm_web_09_ajm.jpg
http://www.ibiblio.org/footy/2005a/0309_dc_hvfc_ajm/web_15_ajm.jpg

You have good fans,who know how to dress warm, they're Canadian after all....So just play in the cold. BMO Field is YOUR house. You play there. If you want to move your vital Champions League game to some place more friendly to the opposition in terms of climate and hostility, like a 60,000 seat stadium where you may get out chanted then you're mad.

TFC Tifoso
05-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Guys, I think its pretty hypocritical to say you want to see the game at the TedDome, even if its just one game. BMO Field is our house.....yes its a tin can, but its OUR tin can, OUR TEAM'S tin can, and sun, rain, sleet, hail, or a fucking blizzard, that is where we play.
If they can play in Milan and Torino during the winter (which I know isn't as cold but basically across the same parallel) they why not here? It's a one-off game, and probably won't be as cold the next game, should they advance.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 01:25 PM
oh ffs no!

Agreed!! Look at Pachuca's Altitude!! Its a massive difference!

Broadview
05-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Why not BMO? Geez...The Packers can play thru January and you never see an empty seat.

Suck it up people.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 02:35 PM
More fans could go to the Dome, that would be great.

ManUtd4ever
05-16-2008, 03:45 PM

/endsarcasm

Agreed!

ManUtd4ever
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
More fans could go to the Dome, that would be great.

Based on my experience at the Celtic - AS Roma match at Skydome a few years ago, I believe Rogers Centre would be a great alternative if necessary during the winter months. First off, real grass would be installed on a temporary basis to accomodate a soccer pitch as has been the case for every international friendly staged at the Dome in the past. In addition, I tend to think that 30,000-40,000 TFC fans would transform that morgue into a larger version of BMO Field...

nfitz
05-16-2008, 04:31 PM
... in fact, if the sky's sunny and blue that'll probably just mean it's colder.Though these are mid-week games, so presumably in the evening ... I just can't imagine how cold that could be on a windy winter night. And imagine I will, as I watch it on TV.

stretchthetruth
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Dont they reschedule games in the UK because of frozen pitches? I wonder what the field turf would be like if it was frozen, or if they would heat it somehow...