https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUMrNRxQ3uI

On Bradley...
http://youtu.be/kypyIM-fyIc

prizby
04-03-2014, 07:55 PM
that's great; thanks

jazzy
04-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Like this guy......what more can you ask from an exec...like his touch on 'character'...

adam1001
04-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Like this guy......what more can you ask from an exec...like his touch on 'character'...

How can someone not? Leiweke is probably the best thing that happened to MLSE. Love his attitude.

Cashcleaner
04-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Glad to hear someone from the organization has actually admitted the reality of BMO Field's sub-par design and construction: "We didn't build it well".

It took us 8 years to get to this point, but we finally got someone on record saying it!

Kaz
04-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Now lets hope everyone does the right thing.

TL goes in and says all the right things. They must really think they are going to recoup the money.. because this is a fairly decent investment.

I like Strombo glad this was shared

brad
04-04-2014, 06:53 AM
Defoe is going to be on sometime soon as well. Either Defoe or Strombo put a pic up on Instgram of Defoe on the set.

Pookie
04-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Glad to hear someone from the organization has actually admitted the reality of BMO Field's sub-par design and construction: "We didn't build it well".

MLSE was responsible for design and construction were they not?

Ah, the irony.

Canary10
04-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Ah, the irony.

Were they? Thought the CSA provided the design for some reason. At any rate, that's what you get when you hire a president to learn to be a sports executive on the job.

Phil
04-04-2014, 08:47 AM

Ah, the irony.

Its a box kit stadium. It templated. The refrence that Tim tells me is it may have been good enough when people were not sure if the team would be a sucess but now looking at other stadiums and how nice they are, ours looks like shit. Its true. We made a stadium on par with Columbus and I would dare say their is a little better and predates us by quite a bit.

Beach_Red
04-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Its a box kit stadium. It templated. The refrence that Tim tells me is it may have been good enough when people were not sure if the team would be a sucess but now looking at other stadiums and how nice they are, ours looks like shit. Its true. We made a stadium on par with Columbus and I would dare say their is a little better and predates us by quite a bit.

Okay, that's fine, no one knew if pro soccer would be a success (in one of the few cities where even NASL was successful) so they went slowly and didn't take many risks. They built what would be "good enough."

Why then, once it was proven to be successful, do we have to share the stadium with a CFL team? Why will that be good enough now?

I guess I would just like to hear MLSE say, "Because we make more money and you'll put up with it."

Phil
04-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Okay, that's fine, no one knew if pro soccer would be a success (in one of the few cities where even NASL was successful) so they went slowly and didn't take many risks. They built what would be "good enough."

Why then, once it was proven to be successful, do we have to share the stadium with a CFL team? Why will that be good enough now?

I guess I would just like to hear MLSE say, "Because we make more money and you'll put up with it."

I would assume that is the answer too. Basic math tells me if we spend on a team like this they need additional money to at least attempt to keep prices in check. I don't like the ground share one bit.

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Cause the city is forcing the Argos into BMO. Price for the deal.

Beach_Red
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Cause the city is forcing the Argos into BMO. Price for the deal.

Oh, I see, the city probably made taking the Argos a requirement before agreeing to any renovations and MLSE said, okay, but you have to pay for the additional work to make it a CFL stadium. This is why they haven't bought the Argos yet.

So, is it still possible if the other levels of government turn down the deal MLSE may try for a soccer-only reno and not buy the Argos?

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Oh, I see, the city probably made taking the Argos a requirement before agreeing to any renovations and MLSE said, okay, but you have to pay for the additional work to make it a CFL stadium. This is why they haven't bought the Argos yet.

So, is it still possible if the other levels of government turn down the deal MLSE may try for a soccer-only reno and not buy the Argos?

Frow what I'm seeing, the federal and provincial money will likely come out of a Pan Am budget line that can be safely ignored until after the provincial election and brought back up as a sideline of the actual games. The provincial Tories or NDP can claim credit or outrage depending upon their own needs and the feds can show up for a photo-op.

ag futbol
04-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't for a second believe it's the city pushing the Argos. It's all MLSE. The final transfer of ownership is simply a formality.

Cashcleaner
04-04-2014, 01:33 PM
^ It could be both. But again, MLSE is like any other money-making business. That means when they have an opportunity to make money they will. The Argos at BMO Field gives them another tenant for whom they will service and make a profit off as a result. In no way is MLSE taking any sort of hit here, rather, they stand to make quite a bit of coin.

Commerce 101 - The more revenue streams you have, the higher your chance of profit.

Red I
04-04-2014, 01:55 PM
^ It could be both. But again, MLSE is like any other money-making business. That means when they have an opportunity to make money they will. The Argos at BMO Field gives them another tenant for whom they will service and make a profit off as a result. In no way is MLSE taking any sort of hit here, rather, they stand to make quite a bit of coin.

Commerce 101 - The more revenue streams you have, the higher your chance of profit.

Wow, it's like New England in reverse - football as filler for the soccer team... whoaaaa

Pookie
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Bingo. That would be a really interesting development.

dantdot
04-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Full interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-P305iCDs

jazzy
04-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Frow what I'm seeing, the federal and provincial money will likely come out of a Pan Am budget line that can be safely ignored until after the provincial election and brought back up as a sideline of the actual games. The provincial Tories or NDP can claim credit or outrage depending upon their own needs and the feds can show up for a photo-op.

right on....unfortunately.......and the greatest joker of all Hudak would love to pull a Ford and say it's ridiculous to give MLSE this $$.......and have our stuck political procees create more non-action , but of course take home their paycheques .

shwade
04-05-2014, 05:13 PM
right on....unfortunately.......and the greatest joker of all Hudak would love to pull a Ford and say it's ridiculous to give MLSE this $$.......and have our stuck political procees create more non-action , but of course take home their paycheques .

Meanwhile they're ok with other corporate handouts.

Tadhg
04-05-2014, 06:29 PM
I don't for a second believe it's the city pushing the Argos. It's all MLSE. The final transfer of ownership is simply a formality.

At a meeting before the opening match at BMO Field, Tim stated that it was a condition or request from the City that the Argos play at BMO Field. He elaborated that the Argos would be a Tenant only and that the turf end zones with Argos logo would be under the new mobile seating areas at the north and south ends. Football games will be played after soccer games and not the other way round, thus protecting the pitch for soccer. He also stated that MLSE will not be pursuing ownership of the Argos for now, but would welcome them as a Tenant as a cost to expanding and improving BMO Field.

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2014, 07:31 PM

My understanding is that even if MLSE wanted to pay for 100% of this renovation, they still have to get city approval for their plan, because the city owns the stadium. So the city would still have leverage to force them to modify the plans, if they wanted. If they wanted.

I also still don't see it as a slam dunk that MLSE buys the Argos, unless it's as part of some grander plan to get an NFL team, and ensure the survival of the Argos for Roger Goodell. The Argos lose money outside of years they host the Grey Cup, by all accounts. TSN exclusively owns the television rights for the CFL for several more years at least. As a BMO tenant, MLSE get money from the Argos, but without any of the other financial issues.

If it's as part of an NFL deal, then obviously the Argos losses are worth it for them. If not, then I don't see the incentive right now.

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM

That's the thing with events like Pan-Am - it's en excuse for the government to shovel a lot of money all over the place. Money that would ordinarily come under a lot more scrutiny. I don't foresee the province or feds doing anything but rubber stamping their contributions to this project.

ag futbol
04-05-2014, 07:36 PM
At a meeting before the opening match at BMO Field, Tim stated that it was a condition or request from the City that the Argos play at BMO Field. He elaborated that the Argos would be a Tenant only and that the turf end zones with Argos logo would be under the new mobile seating areas at the north and south ends. Football games will be played after soccer games and not the other way round, thus protecting the pitch for soccer. He also stated that MLSE will not be pursuing ownership of the Argos for now, but would welcome them as a Tenant as a cost to expanding and improving BMO Field.
Oh well if said it, it must be true! They can express what they want, but a lot of this is simply theatre and posturing.

It's easier to sell this deal if it isn't just seen as shovelling money to one enterprise and it's also easier from the soccer perspective if it looks like they want an "improved soccer venue" as opposed to something that really mainly serves to help serve a CFL team and hold winter classics.

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Oh well if said it, it must be true! Come on, you know they've been meeting with the Argos for some time, Bradley wants to unload.

It's easier to sell this deal if it isn't just seen as shovelling money to one enterprise and it's also easier from the soccer perspective if it looks like they want an "improved soccer venue" as opposed to something that really mainly serves to help serve a CFL team and hold winter classics.

Braley wanting out doesn't mean MLSE want in. Buying the Argos right now doesn't make a ton of sense for MLSE, for some reasons I delineated above.

Last I heard, from Bob McCown a month or two ago, was that MLSE board recently met to discuss the idea of buying the Argos, but either decided against it for now, or came to no decision.

Beach_Red
04-05-2014, 07:42 PM
My understanding is that even if MLSE wanted to pay for 100% of this renovation, they still have to get city approval for their plan, because the city owns the stadium. So the city would still have leverage to force them to modify the plans, if they wanted. If they wanted.

I also still don't see it as a slam dunk that MLSE buys the Argos, unless it's as part of some grander plan to get an NFL team, and ensure the survival of the Argos for Roger Goodell. The Argos lose money outside of years they host the Grey Cup, by all accounts. TSN exclusively owns the television rights for the CFL for several more years at least. As a BMO tenant, MLSE get money from the Argos, but without any of the other financial issues.

If it's as part of an NFL deal, then obviously the Argos losses are worth it for them. If not, then I don't see the incentive right now.

yes, still a lot of ifs... I guess we have to figure that there's some long-term plan being put in place here. I wish they would tell us what it is....

Shakes McQueen
04-05-2014, 07:55 PM
yes, still a lot of ifs... I guess we have to figure that there's some long-term plan being put in place here. I wish they would tell us what it is....

True, but all we really have right now is scenarios, and Leiweke's assurances. Wouldn't be shocked if even MLSE don't know the "long-term" plan yet, because things like an NFL team would first require the NFL to change their ownership rules, or exempt them somehow.

Personally, I think my money is on Bell buying the Argos right now. That, or maybe they even become league-owned for a while if Braley is determined to get out ASAP.

adam1001
04-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Defoe talks about the Drake call... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRvo2oDiSD8&feature=youtu.be

Yohan
04-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Defoe going to be on Strombo now

Shakes McQueen
04-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Could be interesting, or could be more of the same, cringe inducing questions he gets now from people just want to ask him about things like the Drake phone call.

InDa_110
04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
After this commercial

InDa_110
04-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Could be interesting, or could be more of the same, cringe inducing questions he gets now from people just want to ask him about things like the Drake phone call.

Good call man! Drake question right away.

InDa_110
04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
What a crummy interview that was.