PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 4: TFC at Columbus, Sat 5 April 6PM EST

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yohan
04-01-2014, 09:36 AM
On Sportsnet 360 and MLS Live

Stop Higuain at all cost. But that's easier said than done.

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Hurry up Sat. Put Salt Lake behind us.

Also:

I'LL BE AT JOE'S FOR THIS ONE.

:scarf:

Gametime at 6pm Sportnet360

p.s.- Parky does Joe get this channel?

redisthenewblk
04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Did anyone watch the Seattle v Columbus game? It was wide open. I recommend watching if you MLS Live.

Higuain has had a history of toally punishing us so obviously that'll be a concern. But watching the Seattle v Columbus game gave me hope. Columbus was being very reckless constantly pushing numbers forward and leaving their defense very vulnerable. If we are as organized as we were the first two games defensively, we have a good shot at this as long as we contain the "Higuain Factor"

Red CB Toronto
04-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Time for the Reds to get back on the saddle and just win baby.

Joe Kool
04-01-2014, 10:14 AM
After a breakdown like last game it takes me awhile to bounce back usually based on past experience in past seasons. I will care about this thread more on Thursday I would say if all things go the same for me. Hell, I couldn't even come onto this site until today. Bitter pill takes time to swallow. Always looking forward to the possible redemption in the next game.

Graeme
04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
------------Cesar------------
--Bloom---Caldwell*--Henry---Morrow
-Jackson---Hall**--Bradley------Rey
-------Gilberto-----Defoe---------

* Agboss, if Caldwell suspended
** Osorio, if miraculously not injured

Bench: Bendik, Richter, Bekker, DeRo, Weeds, Issey

ryan
04-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Weather lookin good in C-Bus for the weekend. Can't wait to get down there and make it rain.

QBall
04-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Is Defoe going to play on Saturday? I haven't read any updates as to the extent of his injury. Regardless of whether he does I hope someone else on this team can produce a goal. It's a bit troubling having all of our eggs in Defoe's basket when it comes to goal production. Along with a tie or a win I think TFC really needs to focus on getting possession up to at least 50%. We can't let the fundamentals start to slip away.

JuliquE
04-01-2014, 10:56 AM
After a breakdown like last game it takes me awhile to bounce back usually based on past experience in past seasons. I will care about this thread more on Thursday I would say if all things go the same for me. Hell, I couldn't even come onto this site until today. Bitter pill takes time to swallow. Always looking forward to the possible redemption in the next game.
Amen, brother; this is me, to a "T."

MartinUtd
04-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I get the impression that Hagglund is ahead of Agbossoumonde as far as Nelsen is concerned.

David_Oliveira
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Would love to see:
http://this11.com/play/abGFbpAahO.png

Obviously using DeRo in case Defoe can't go.
I do think Bekker has done enough in both preseason and in Saturday to merit a start.

Initial B
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM
I get the feeling that Defoe will be out of this game and Bradley's going to be tired from his Wednesday USMNT game. Since nobody can score besides Defoe, and without Osorio, I'm seeing a 2-0 win for Columbus.

OgtheDim
04-01-2014, 12:17 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 9m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/451040446324559872) #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) Nelsen says Defoe having a scan today.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 5m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/451041699096059904)
Nelsen says Osorio very questionable for Saturday. #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 9m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/451040606367023105)
Cesar should be fine for Saturday. #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash)

ryan
04-01-2014, 12:25 PM
I too would like to see Bekker start over Hall. He showed well in limited time last week. Hall can always come off the bench at any point.

barticusz
04-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Bradley's doing a fair bit of travel in one week. Toronto - Salt Lake - Arizona - Columbus.

At least the Crew are coming back from Seattle themselves.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-toronto-fc-tfc-columbus-crew-jermain-defoe-jonathan-osorio/

Defoe is questionable (or more likely out), as is Osorio. It'll be a tough game for us. If we can come out of it with a tie we should be pleased.

barticusz
04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Henry is also nursing a Knee problem.. and Caldwell could be suspended.

OgtheDim
04-01-2014, 12:40 PM
With Gilberto being the probable best striker we have, I would be willing to forget the pivot and go with a 4-1-3-1-1. Put Hall in front of the back 4, have Bradley in the middle, and DeRo behind Gilberto. Won't happen, but doable.

Davenport
04-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Has to be Bekker over Hall. Hall is simply not good enough.

Still very worried about how fragile this team is...especially if any of Bradley, Gilberto and Defoe get injured.
An injured Osorio is a big problem for this team so imagine if any of the 3 new signings were missing.

barticusz
04-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Hall was given a shot, I would like to see Bekker given one against Columbus. We already know that Hall gets repeatedly burned by players with vision and skill, so why put him up against Higuain. We don't lose anything by giving Bekker the opportunity. Even with an expected loss I am looking forward to this game to see if they have a bounce back effort.

PopePouri
04-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I'd go with a 4-3-3:

http://sharemytactics.com/8956/Toronto-FC-formation-tactics.png (http://sharemytactics.com/8956/)

OgtheDim
04-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Has to be Bekker over Hall. Hall is simply not good enough.

In a straight DM position, Hall > Bekker and > then how he operates in a pivot.

Bekker is not a DM and couldn't handle Higuain.

Lumpy
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Starting Bekker would be a disaster. Salt Lake scored two of their goals because Henry body-slammed a player and Morrow deflected a ball into our own net. The third goal I'm not sure about. What would Bekker do to help ??? Maybe tell Henry to be a good boy and tell Morrow not to deflect the ball. Bekker just putters around, doesn't play tough defence and passes the ball backwards most of the time. How can he be of any help ?

ensco
04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
In a straight DM position, Hall > Bekker and > then how he operates in a pivot.

Bekker is not a DM and couldn't handle Higuain.

Agree that Hall has to play over Bekker. Bradley has to man mark Higuain.

I think the Columbus CBs can be had btw, if Defoe is fit. Big if. Seattle owned them.

Ruffian
04-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Starting Bekker would be a disaster. Salt Lake scored two of their goals because Henry body-slammed a player and Morrow deflected a ball into our own net. The third goal I'm not sure about. What would Bekker do to help ??? Maybe tell Henry to be a good boy and tell Morrow not to deflect the ball. Bekker just putters around, doesn't play tough defence and passes the ball backwards most of the time. How can he be of any help ?
You can't blame Bekker for what other people did when he was not playing. The stat you can take from those goals is that Bekker was on the field for none of them but Hall was on the field for all of them.

David_Oliveira
04-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I respectfully disagree. Higuain would expose hall and bekker and Bradley has a midweek friendly (not to mention a crapload of travel)

I'd go with a 4-3-3:

http://sharemytactics.com/8956/Toronto-FC-formation-tactics.png (http://sharemytactics.com/8956/)

brad
04-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Sounding like Defoe is questionable (based on chatter on twitter).

I wonder if we will see a different formation if he is out? What we really needed against RSL was was three in central midfield - but with 2 DP strikers, that is not something I expect to see often (when they are both available)

pdubs
04-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Guys here me out for a second. With people who have more knowledge about Jackson's positions... I read he could play DM? How about something like this... Even tho I do not rate Hall, in a position like this he may have more success over say Bekker.

http://sharemytactics.com/8959/Toronto-FC-formation-tactics.png (http://sharemytactics.com/8959/)

We know Jackson is defensive minded. Wouldn't be utilizing his speed at this position, and again not sure if Nelson would even consider something like this. But on the road after a game we just had, with Bradley traveling all over the place, maybe a more defensive setup could net us 1 point. Play the counter like we have been doing. Id take it over the flat 4-4-2 we have been using. Rest Defoe. Or go with Defoe starting, Gilberto off the bench. Don't like being locked into having to play 2 DP strikers.

edit- Or move Bradley to DM with Jackson, and put Dero or Bekker at the CAM. Idk just a thought.

Fort York Redcoat
04-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Hall had a tough game. If Bekker starts he will have a tough game as well but Hall had his chance. I'd rather give Bekker the mins to prove he can contribute as much as Hall which really isn't asking that much.

ManUtd4ever
04-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Bekker is a more comparable player to Osorio in terms of his skillset, so it makes more sense to try him in a midfield pairing with Bradley.

PopePouri
04-01-2014, 02:13 PM
I respectfully disagree. Higuain would expose hall and bekker and Bradley has a midweek friendly (not to mention a crapload of travel)

Higuain is going to expose Hall or Bekker either way because one or the other is going to play. At least it's a 3 man midfield in the middle which removes space for their playmakers.

speckles
04-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Expecting Defoe not to play and if Caldwell is out I think the debate Hall vs Bekker will be academic to the final result.

notthesun
04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
If Defoe plays I'll be nervous as fuck. I think we're gonna have to hope for a breakout performance from Gilberto.

As for Bekker vs. Hall, it's Hall. Bekker is not ready.

Everyone pray that Caldwell doesn't get suspended.

ag futbol
04-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I'll take a potential failure over a certain failure, ie Bekker > Hall. Otherwise, do something like this:

---------Gilberto-----------
Issey----------Dero----------Rey
--------Jackson-----Bradley-----
Morrow---Henry---Caldwell*--Bloom

*if available, otherwise one of the CB subs

trane
04-01-2014, 03:24 PM
If bradley and Defoe are out. 4-4-1-1, Gilberto (CF) and DeRo(SS) upfront, everyone defend, defend, defend, Reyes, and Jackson on the wings can create quite a bit of service/chances.

Pint
04-01-2014, 03:41 PM
If bradley and Defoe are out. 4-4-1-1, Gilberto (CF) and DeRo(SS) upfront, everyone defend, defend, defend, Reyes, and Jackson on the wings can create quite a bit of service/chances.

Reyes is out a month and plays baseball... i assume you mean Rey? or Issey?

nonc
04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I'll take a potential failure over a certain failure, ie Bekker > Hall. Otherwise, do something like this:

This is great, the best you can do without Oso and Defoe. Sadly whether Nelsen goes this direction is another question entirely. It's definitely a luxury to have Gilberto but all for not if you don't take advantage of Jackson's covering capabilities.

TFC07
04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
I will be shock if Nelsen plays 4-2-3-1 formation. Anyway, this is Gilberto chance to shine and I believe he can carry this team to score a goal or two this Saturday.

speckles
04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
I like the idea of placing Jackson in the mid-field, the odds are against them... although Gilberto certainly has the ability.

Pookie
04-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Why is anyone nervous about Defoe playing? This was going to be the story the moment he was signed. An older player with a history of hamstring issues who was injured when he was signed. There really should be no surprises when he sits out games.

A "tweaked" hamstring is going to be the risk in every game over the next 4 years. Best to accept it and calm the nerves.

AlanO
04-01-2014, 05:00 PM

This is exactly what I would do too, assuming Defoe & Osorio are out.

I'd rather have Jackson at CM than Hall/Bekker - his defending has been pretty decent. In the RSL match, Morales showed what a good AM can do to this squad, and Higuain is even stronger. if nothing else, Jackson would drive him nuts.

Abou Sky
04-01-2014, 05:53 PM
If Jackson messes up Higuain, we are going to have to book it out of town right quick.

shwade
04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
If Jackson messes up Higuain, we are going to have to book it out of town right quick.

It's not like anyone in Columbus would care

Yohan
04-01-2014, 07:25 PM
It's not like anyone in Columbus would care
drew 17500 for home opener

apparently they sold out the Nordecke, their supporters section. should be pretty good atmosphere

Soccerpro
04-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Jeremy Hall is just another version of Reggie Lambe. At least Bekker might get better someday, Jeremy Hall won't. I have no interest in seeing him on the pitch for TFC again.

Yohan
04-01-2014, 07:30 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=447979

Injury update.

No Oso, potentially no Henry and Defoe. Pending on potential disciplinary action to Caldwell. Cesar apparently is ok

Shakes McQueen
04-01-2014, 07:46 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=447979

Injury update.

No Oso, potentially no Henry and Defoe. Pending on potential disciplinary action to Caldwell. Cesar apparently is ok

All of this equals a probable Columbus win. Even with a healthy squad, we were likely to be in tough.

Heart hopes we eke out a 1-0 win or something, but my head tells me the best we can hope for is 0-0 or 1-1.

- Scott

MartinUtd
04-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Henry is questionable too?

Get ready for the Agbossoumonde-Hagglund shit show. Could really use Nelsen at CB right now lol

adam1001
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Get ready for the Agbossoumonde-Hagglund shit show. Could really use Nelsen at CB right now lol

Higuain is going to tear them apart. Sigh...

ManUtd4ever
04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
With Defoe, Caldwell, Henry, and Osorio out of the lineup, we're going to most likely get smoked against a team of that calibre in their own barn.

It only takes a few key players out to make our starting lineup extremely vulnerable, particularly on the backline.

tfcocd
04-01-2014, 09:05 PM

Seems like flooding the midfield in 4-5-1 would be the best way to deal with the danger of higuain and hope to hit them on the counter. I suppose from tactical point of view it's same counter attacking approach with much more defensive focus for TFC where the lone striker is expected do the job.

ag futbol
04-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Yikes. If that's the case we really need to park the bus and stay compact. Maybe go full on Christmas tree formation.

Pookie
04-01-2014, 09:08 PM
^ 9-0-1?

(the 1 just in case)

ag futbol
04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Seems like flooding the midfield in 4-5-1 would be the best way to deal with the danger of higuain and hope to hit them on the counter. I suppose from tactical point of view it's same counter attacking approach with much more defensive focus for TFC where the lone striker is expected do the job.
The reason why I like it is the first players to join the attack come from the wide spots as opposed to the middle. Makes less sense when Defoe plays but with a not so fast Dero better to have Rey and Issey contribute to the attack. Dero we can hope will move the ball around and play creatively through the middle, but no point making him the secondary striker on a counter attack when he can't run defenders like he used to.

LFC8
04-01-2014, 09:44 PM
I was hoping we'd come back firing after the Salt Lake Game but if these injuries end up keeping the likes of Defoe and Osorio out this week then i will be praying for a draw.

TFCwestcan
04-01-2014, 11:24 PM

Actually passing is the one thing that Bekker does well, he laid a couple of nice crossfield passes the the wingers in the last couple of games he played in. I have to agree about the defensive aspect of his game.

If Caldwell is out, wondering if they slip Orr in for that veteran experience. I wish they would have left Bloom at RB last game.

Abou Sky
04-02-2014, 06:41 AM
The reason why I like it is the first players to join the attack come from the wide spots as opposed to the middle. Makes less sense when Defoe plays but with a not so fast Dero better to have Rey and Issey contribute to the attack. Dero we can hope will move the ball around and play creatively through the middle, but no point making him the secondary striker on a counter attack when he can't run defenders like he used to.

You beat me to it.

Christmas tree will at least give us a chance at a draw, maybe 1-0 win.

Then again, we were told that Osorio was playing in SLC so maybe he is still in.

ensco
04-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Xmas tree is really just a 4-3-3 derivative. It requires massive discipline. I would not do that as a way to bar the door. Especially with Dero in the mix.

maninb
04-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Columbus 3-1...No Defoe, Henry, and Osorio......This could be another LONG SEASON....

Oldtimer
04-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Columbus 3-1...No Defoe, Henry, and Osorio......This could be another LONG SEASON....

I'll say 3-0 for the KKKrew. Despite this, I expect TFC to win a lot of games at home, and to make the playoffs, barring major injury.

ryan
04-02-2014, 10:10 AM

It's just one game breh.

Fort York Redcoat
04-02-2014, 10:11 AM
It's just one game breh.

He's just talking about Game of Thrones, I think.

:smilielol5:

ryan
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Oh and just cause there's enough pessimism around here....I'm gonna predict Gilberto shows his worth on Saturday aiding us in a 2-2 draw.

trane
04-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Reyes is out a month and plays baseball... i assume you mean Rey? or Issey?

No I mean Reyes, I understand he was a pretty good winger in his day.

InDa_110
04-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Weather lookin good in C-Bus for the weekend. Can't wait to get down there and make it rain.

Don't make it rain railings! (2009). :flare:

Detroit_TFC
04-02-2014, 11:23 AM
This has all the potential to be a real shitshow. Hoping to see some effort to tactically contain Columbus even if it is not enough to win the game.

WestStandGeoff
04-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I just got an alert from my Score Mobile app saying Defoe is definitely out for this Saturday. I can't find a link anywhere online, but I'm sure the news will be flowing soon enough.

RealG-TFC
04-02-2014, 12:20 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=448073

Carts
04-02-2014, 12:27 PM
I just got an alert from my Score Mobile app saying Defoe is definitely out for this Saturday. I can't find a link anywhere online, but I'm sure the news will be flowing soon enough.

Ya I got it to - and promptly vomited in my mouth...

Everyone asked me "What's your biggest worry going into the season?" and my answer was always "Defoe getting hurt." :(

I know Bradley is a bigger cog in the engine - but there's no worry there as the last time he got an MRI, he got out and told the technician the problems with the machine, the man is tougher than Chuck Norris!

Carts....

OgtheDim
04-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Hey....people...Gilberto is no Chad Barrett.

And Bradley is no Terry Dunfield.

We will be competetive. Likely to win? No. But this is more then a one person team.

Yohan
04-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Hey....people...Gilberto is no Chad Barrett.

And Bradley is no Terry Dunfield.

We will be competetive. Likely to win? No. But this is more then a one person team.
Gilberto is still not match fit

Bradley is coming off a mid week game vs Mexico

Many of our players are either injured, or not match fit yet

ManUtd4ever
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Based on all the anticipated omissions from the lineup, I would go with this on Saturday...

--------------------Cesar---------------------

Orr------Hagglund------Agboss-----Morrow

Jackson----Bradley----Bekker----------Rey

-----------Gilberto-------DeRo--------------

barticusz
04-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I don't see Agboss sliding into that role.. More likely that Morrow or Orr shift over to the middle.

--------------------Cesar---------------------

Orr------Hagglund------Morrow-----Bloom

Jackson----Bradley----Bekker----------Rey

-----------Gilberto-------DeRo--------------

RoyalRed
04-02-2014, 02:54 PM
With Defoe out and Bradley overtravelled and probably feeling it from midweek, I would really hope we can stay compact at the back and squeeze out a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Getting a win against a 3-0-0 Columbus squad being led by Higuain who has just wrecked us in the past is definitely a faint, faint, faint outside hope.

TFC07
04-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Richter played a little CB in the preseason. So I wouldn't be surprised if we see on the pitch this weekend.

Pint
04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Caldwell has been suspended 1 game... Hopefully Henry is available.

Not sure what i would do if Henry is available: play Hagglund with Henry or move Morrow into the middle and play Morgan on the outside

ryan
04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
Morgan dealing with a hip injury right now.

TFC07
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Looks like TFC have been hit with an injury bug! Hopefully they keep this game close not embarrassed themselves like they did in Salt Lake.

Yohan
04-02-2014, 03:35 PM
------------Cesar
Bloom-Orr-Haglund-Morrow
Jackson-Bradley-Hall-Rey
---De Rosario-Gilberto

I don't even know if TFC is going to be able to have a full bench

sashavukelich
04-02-2014, 03:36 PM
Is Jackson back from suspension this game? To me, we should flood the midfield and do our best to keep the ball away from columbus with our technical players (Rey, jackson, Issey, Bradley). Just my thoughts.

Ivy
04-02-2014, 03:37 PM
One thing is for sure. Football gods hate TFC. Why can't we just be allowed to be happy?? god damn it. Confirmed and potentially out: Defoe, Caldwell, Osorio, Henry, Cesar, Bradley.

Carts
04-02-2014, 03:39 PM
One thing is for sure. Football gods hate TFC. Why can't we just be allowed to be happy?? god damn it. Confirmed and potentially out: Defoe, Caldwell, Osorio, Henry, Cesar, Bradley.

Ok, we have this above, and now most of city council & Rob Ford AGREE on an issue (food trucks)...

The APOCALYPSE IS NOW...!!!

jloome
04-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Gilberto is still not match fit

Bradley is coming off a mid week game vs Mexico

Many of our players are either injured, or not match fit yet

It may be no long-term indicator, as the Crew are cohesive and tough and we're lacking depth and starters, but it will be interesting to see if we adapt at all tactically this week to having Higuain floating between the midfield and defence.

Great contacts notwithstanding, the jury is still out on Nelsen's 442 high-pressure counterattack. Salt Lake pressured us in our own end, but actually sat their defenders back past the halway toward their own end, so that even if we did get a break it would be difficult to use speed to get behind them. They only got caught too high a couple of times, and it looked like they knew exactly what was coming.

OgtheDim
04-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm not a fan of this whole "The refs missed a call so we'll make it up for them" thing. At some point, teams are going to start lobbying. Heck fans, are doing it on mlssoccer.com already, with Borg egging them on with his over the top "Ref Fubars of the Week" videos.

OgtheDim
04-02-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok, we have this above, and now most of city council & Rob Ford AGREE on an issue (food trucks)...

The APOCALYPSE IS NOW...!!!

Don't worry....Rob Ford voted against congratulating Olympic athletes and Paralympians...and then his Chief of Staff saw twitter and suggested he say he made a mistake.

i.e. The world is back to normal.:)

nonc
04-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Actually passing is the one thing that Bekker does well, he laid a couple of nice crossfield passes the the wingers in the last couple of games he played in. I have to agree about the defensive aspect of his game.

If Caldwell is out, wondering if they slip Orr in for that veteran experience. I wish they would have left Bloom at RB last game.

Honestly one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen from a TFC head coach.

adam1001
04-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Honestly one of the most mind-boggling things I've ever seen from a TFC head coach.

And we've seen our fair share of mind boggling things from past TFC coaches.
Wtf is wrong with this team and injuries. We went through our entire preseason "injured" and continue to have half the team injured today. So much for that "world class" fitness coach we hired.

notthesun
04-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Yikes. I'll take a 0-0 draw, thanks.

Ivy
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm not giving up hope. If Nelsen can block out Higauin and Anor, Cbus won't be all that great.

ExiledRed
04-02-2014, 04:38 PM

You forget when Carver and Cummins benched Dichio for Chad Barret?

Kaz
04-02-2014, 04:56 PM
So Caldwell is suspended.

Defoe maybe out. Osorio might be out

2-0 Columbus.

Why does MLS have Refs?, they suck and the Discipline Committee makes them all but needless.

ag futbol
04-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I see your hand and I raise you Marvell Wynn playing striker. I am in awe of that to this very day.

Let's see someone top that one :D

Burning Red
04-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Shit this is really adding up quick....

So is this realistic?:

---------Julio Cesar---------
Bloom---Agboss--Henry--Morrow
Jackson--Bradley--Hall/Bekker--Rey
------Gilberto------DeRo-------

1. Cesar will have to be somewhat careful
2. Orr maybe in for Bloom
3. Henry may not play and we could see the shaky Haggeland Agboss combo or possibly even Richter in at CB
4. A tired Bradley from playing a midweek friendly plus a possibly shaky CM partner
5. A not yet fully match fit Gilberto whom will probably have to be subbed out for Wiedeman OR a start for Wiedeman next to Gilberto with DeRo coming on for the last half hour or so....

This is going to be a major test of our depth. If the replacements come through, it could be a boon to the squad and prove that behind our DPs and other major players, we do have a solid core forming as Nelson and the Tims have claimed.

If we get slaughtered, it is time to start thinking about reinforcing our depth players in a major way. Even if Dike comes back by August we still need another capable goal scoring forward to help out the main 4 strikers, another backup winger, possibly a higher quality CB, and a higher quality central mid to help out when Bradley is away at the World Cup/shore up the position after Osorio and Bradley.

ensco
04-02-2014, 05:52 PM
I see your hand and I raise you Marvell Wynn playing striker. I am in awe of that to this very day.

Let's see someone top that one :D

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Preki starting Nane Joseph and Amadou Sanyang over Sam Cronin. Then cutting Cronin.

I'll get my hat.

ManUtd4ever
04-02-2014, 05:59 PM
^^ I raise all of you Winter's ridiculous decision to start Adrian Cann at LB (for the first time ever in his career) in the season opener vs Vancouver in 2011, despite having a healthy roster at his disposal. Cann then predictably got exploited over and over again in a blowout loss.

T-boy
04-02-2014, 06:07 PM
^^ I raise all of you Winter's ridiculous decision to start Adrian Cann at LB (for the first time ever in his career) in the season opener vs Vancouver in 2011, despite having a healthy roster at his disposal. Cann then predictably got exploited over and over again in a blowout loss.

oh, yes, that's a good choice! That was a terrible decision, Cann was woeful that game, and it wasn't even his fault - out of position, against a fast winger, he was beaten over and over!

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2014, 06:08 PM
We does MLS have Refs, they such and the DC makes them needless.

I've been staring at this sentence for five minutes, and I still have no idea what it translates to in English.

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Preki starting Nane Joseph and Amadou Sanyang over Sam Cronin. Then cutting Cronin.

I'll get my hat.

That was a bad move, but Wynne at striker was just hilariously bad.

Kaz
04-02-2014, 06:28 PM
I've been staring at this sentence for five minutes, and I still have no idea what it translates to in English.

ya apparently I was doing too many things at once when I typed it.

Derko
04-02-2014, 06:30 PM

I think Kaz was visiting with Rob Ford this afternoon

ensco
04-02-2014, 06:41 PM
That was a bad move, but Wynne at striker was just hilariously bad.

Hilariously bad. Hmmm....

That would be Andy Iro trying to mark Dero in his first game against TFC post-trade, and Dero scoring 4 goals or whatever it was.

jloome
04-02-2014, 06:43 PM

That would be Andy Iro trying to mark Dero.

Yeah, cripes that was bad. Like a statue trying to guard Gretzky.

AlanO
04-02-2014, 06:49 PM

Winter playing Maicon Santos as a midfielder (plus giving him the armband) was a head-scratcher.

Gotta give the prize to Preki for daring to put Mista on the field, though.

pdubs
04-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I am not sure if Orr has every played CB, but Saturday may be the day lol. Morrow we know can play CB but that would put Morgan on the field. Idk, if Henry will be confirmed out it will be a huge issue. Probably be a huge issue regardless with the way Columbus is playing.

btw I think Bloom has earned his RB spot.

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2014, 06:54 PM

That would be Andy Iro trying to mark Dero in his first game against TFC post-trade, and Dero scoring 4 goals or whatever it was.

Pfffhahaha - I remember that!

And man... Mista. It's crazy how many utterly terrible players we've brought in over what is essentially not a very long span of time.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
04-02-2014, 06:56 PM
ya apparently I was doing too many things at once when I typed it.

You still haven't told us what it means.

Kaz
04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
You still haven't told us what it means.
Went back and edited it.

AlanO
04-02-2014, 06:58 PM

Only time in my life I've felt sorry for a pro athlete, other than injuries.

Andy Iro was completely humiliated.

flamehawk
04-02-2014, 07:51 PM
Speaking of Andy Iro, this was a memorable TFC photo:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/league/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2011/07/iro-plata-ccl.jpg

Blizzard
04-02-2014, 08:29 PM

I like it!!! :hump:

Dub Narcotic
04-02-2014, 08:31 PM

I'll get my hat.

Sanyang is actually a pretty good USL-Pro player. I would not be shocked to see him back in MLS some day.

jloome
04-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Sanyang is actually a pretty good USL-Pro player. I would not be shocked to see him back in MLS some day.

Worth keeping an eye on. He was only 18 when he was here.

Abou Sky
04-02-2014, 09:03 PM
RSL I figured a 0-0 tie was a win, I think that here if we can come out with a loss by a single goal I will be impressed...

I'm going to have to tie Sky to me and get drunk enough to forget this one!

Pookie
04-02-2014, 09:49 PM
I don't know if this counts as mind boggling but my favourite TFC Coaching Moment came in 2008 from John Carver.

Playing against San Jose, he brings on Carlos Ruiz in the 2nd half for Danny Dichio. About 30 minutes later and trailing 1-0 he takes off the same Carlos Ruiz (for Abby Ibrahim). Carlos, none too pleased about 2 substitutions involving himself, knocks over a Gatorade jug on the way out.

That would have been a fun plane ride home.

greatwhitenorf
04-02-2014, 09:54 PM

I'll get my hat.

Can't resist adding this to that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5kI3zJFmA

brad
04-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Only time in my life I've felt sorry for a pro athlete, other than injuries.

Andy Iro was completely humiliated.

It wasn't as bad as watching Andy Boyens try to mark David Villa (at his peak) in the Confederations cup. That was the single most embarrassing thing I have seen on the field. If I recall, Boyens even mishit a clearance right to Villa's feet in the 18 yard box...

ensco
04-02-2014, 10:15 PM
We definitely need a "TFC shambolic moments" thread. This is fun!

notthesun
04-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Nelsen playing Justin Braun at right midfield for a game last year was a real head scratcher...

Yohan
04-02-2014, 10:38 PM
well, at least Bradley scored... for USA

Yohan
04-02-2014, 10:51 PM
and an assist for Bradley. can he save some of this magic for Sat? lol

Oldtimer
04-03-2014, 07:41 AM
With Caldwell also out, I do not expect a realistic chance for TFC to win.

Graeme
04-03-2014, 07:56 AM
New Line-Up!

------------------Cesar------------------
--Bloom----Richter---Henry-------Morrow
----------Bekker-------Hall----------
--Jackson-------Bradley--------Rey
------------Gilberto--------------------

Bench: DeRo, Bendick, Issey, Weeds, Morgan, Agboss

Stress
04-03-2014, 08:14 AM
Now that Caldwell is confirmed out, I don't think we can consider starting Bekker. Yes he appeared to be an upgrade over Hall when subbed in against RSL but they were taking their foot off the gas a little and Bekker would be too much of a liability defensively. Now if Bradley doesn't start, then maybe you have to go with Bekker and Hall but if Bradley plays, no way I choose Bekker over Hall for the other CM spot.

I also wouldn't be totally shocked if Nelson tries to squeeze Orr in at CB to replace Caldwell.

backbeat
04-03-2014, 08:48 AM
My take:

------------------Cesar------------------
--Bloom----Orr---Henry-------Morrow
----------Bradley-------Hall----------
--Jackson-------DeRo--------Rey
------------Gilberto--------------------

Bench: Bekker, Bendick, Issey, Weeds, Morgan, Richter

Pookie
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM

Sadly, it's about a 3-4 person team.

Looks like TFC have been hit with an injury bug! Hopefully they keep this game close not embarrassed themselves like they did in Salt Lake.

The injuries that surprise and concern me would be the one to Osorio. He's young and this would be the second time in 2 seasons that he has suffered an injury that is significant and forces him to miss games. I feel for him and his career.

Defoe? That's about as expected as the sun rising. Any complaints about that are like buying a car "as is" and then complaining that it breaks down. Defoe was a move to sell tickets primarily and ideally improve the team competitively when he plays. The thing is he was hurt earlier this year (hamstring), hurt in 2010 (hamstring) and hurt when he signed (hamstring). The fact that 2 games into the season he is down again (hamstring) shouldn't surprise or shock anyone.

The merits of signing an injured player at the league max budget charge in a league that provides no relief for in the event of the expected injury has to be questioned from a team performance perspective.

We essentially gave up Urutti for Defoe. Success? Defoe has more goals and sold more tickets. Urutti will likely play more games over a longer period and may or may not equal Defoe's tallies. I'll tell you what though, you can't score from the Press box.

Canary10
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Sadly, it's about a 3-4 person team.

The injuries that surprise and concern me would be the one to Osorio. He's young and this would be the second time in 2 seasons that he has suffered an injury that is significant and forces him to miss games. I feel for him and his career.

Defoe? That's about as expected as the sun rising. Any complaints about that are like buying a car "as is" and then complaining that it breaks down. Defoe was a move to sell tickets primarily and ideally improve the team competitively when he plays. The thing is he was hurt earlier this year (hamstring), hurt in 2010 (hamstring) and hurt when he signed (hamstring). The fact that 2 games into the season he is down again (hamstring) shouldn't surprise or shock anyone.

The merits of signing an injured player at the league max budget charge in a league that provides no relief for in the event of the expected injury has to be questioned from a team performance perspective.

We essentially gave up Urutti for Defoe. Success? Defoe has more goals and sold more tickets. Urutti will likely play more games over a longer period and may or may not equal Defoe's tallies. I'll tell you what though, you can't score from the Press box.

I'd way rather have Defoe.

Pookie
04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
^ Defoe may have been the right call.

However, if he sits in the Pressbox more than he plays and takes his budget charge up there with him, I'd suggest that it wasn't.

redisthenewblk
04-03-2014, 09:30 AM

However, if he sits in the Pressbox more than he plays and takes his budget charge up there with him, I'd suggest that it wasn't.

I'd wager that even if Defoe sits out half the games, or becomes a high powered option off the bench instead of a starter, he'll still score more goals than Urruti. I've been watching the Portland games, and Urruti is definitely a pest for the defense, and gets himself in great positions but he's not in the same class when it comes to finishing ability.

Canary10
04-03-2014, 09:33 AM

The injury to Dike was clearly a major blow. The management can be faulted I guess for getting a player with a recent major injury. But I think if he were here, we could weather more easily Defoe missing a half dozen or so starts. In fact plan on his taking breaks.

TFC07
04-03-2014, 09:36 AM
-------------Cesar----------------
Bloom---Henry---Morrow (or Agboss)---Morgan (or Morrow)
---------------Bradley--------------------------------
Jackson/Rey-----------------------------Rey/Jackson
--------------Bekker-------------------------
----------Gilberto---Dero----------------

This is my lineup for the game. I think we will go with 4-4-2 diamond shape formation.

I hope Nelsen was watching US-Mexico game and saw how Bradley played. Hopefully we get DM soon so Bradley can play more advanced role.

Canary10
04-03-2014, 09:40 AM
-------------Caser----------------
Jackson-----------------------------Rey

This is my lineup for the game. I think we will go with 4-4-2 diamond shape formation.

I hope Nelsen was watching US-Mexico game and saw how Bradley played. Hopefully we get DM soon so Bradley can play more advanced role.

This kills me.

TFC07
04-03-2014, 09:41 AM
This kills me.

Losing Laba kills me.

Canary10
04-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Losing Laba kills me.

That's what I mean. I know you were being ironic, but it cuts too deep still.

TFC07
04-03-2014, 09:45 AM
-------------Cesar----------------
Jackson/Rey-----------------------------Rey/Jackson

On a second thought:

Move Jackson in the middle and start Issey on the wing while move Bradley more advance in the midfield so we don't have to start Bekker.

brad
04-03-2014, 09:48 AM
The injury to Dike was clearly a major blow. The management can be faulted I guess for getting a player with a recent major injury. But I think if he were here, we could weather more easily Defoe missing a half dozen or so starts. In fact plan on his taking breaks.

Gilberto is going to need to start finding the back of the goal.

C.Ronaldo
04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
time to give wiedman a chance, or cut him from the team.

on thing he can do is finish ( on an mls level).........bradley and dero can supply him with service. gilberto can take heat off of him.

losing Dike is porbably the biggest blow right now. Dero must be on bench to back up the forwards, and this is compounded by lack of winger depth.

Canary10
04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Gilberto is going to need to start finding the back of the goal.

Agreed. He should start be spending less time on the deck.

Joe Kool
04-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Ok pessimism setting in....must resist....must not let it back into my TFC experience....damn too late.

We are unlucky. I wanted a win at Columbus more than RSL. Now looks like we will have a weaker lineup vs Columbus. Hopefully they can pull out a competitive game at least. Maybe Weedman can put a goal in for us in C-Bus again. Who knows...

Pookie
04-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I'd wager that even if Defoe sits out half the games, or becomes a high powered option off the bench instead of a starter, he'll still score more goals than Urruti. I've been watching the Portland games, and Urruti is definitely a pest for the defense, and gets himself in great positions but he's not in the same class when it comes to finishing ability.

I don't dispute that Defoe is at a different point in his career. Urutti has upside but how much? Who knows. Defoe has accomplishments but how much longer can he play at that level? Really impossible to gauge at this point in time. Defoe, when healthy, is the better player now IMO.

There are a lot of variables over these 4 years with Defoe:

- how many games can he play?
- in those games he plays, is he 100%?
- after injury and birthdays, does he recover to the same point as he is now?

The other issue with Defoe is the opportunity cost to sign him. I compared him with Urutti but in the world of DPs, there could have been a number of other Strikers that they were chasing. Was Defoe and all that he brings (tickets vs health) the best use of the budget space? We'd better hope so.

Sounds a lot like Koevermans 2.0 to me in terms of ultimate impact on the team's finish in the table.

adam1001
04-03-2014, 11:42 AM
If Defoe's hamstring really did tighten up before the rsl game, I'm pissed that Nelsen put him in the starting 11 for a game which we were always destined to lose.

OgtheDim
04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
If Defoe's hamstring really did tighten up before the rsl game, I'm pissed that Nelsen put him in the starting 11 for a game which we were always destined to lose.

Apparently it is difficult to tell Defoe to not play.

More importantly, no manager goes into a game feeling destined to lose - do that and you should quit.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
I don't know if this counts as mind boggling but my favourite TFC Coaching Moment came in 2008 from John Carver.

Playing against San Jose, he brings on Carlos Ruiz in the 2nd half for Danny Dichio. About 30 minutes later and trailing 1-0 he takes off the same Carlos Ruiz (for Abby Ibrahim). Carlos, none too pleased about 2 substitutions involving himself, knocks over a Gatorade jug on the way out.

That would have been a fun plane ride home.

I remember that one well. FML what a shitshow this team has been.

CommradePolski
04-03-2014, 01:29 PM
I dont know guys. Most people are saying to give dero the start. After seeing him come in against DC and look rather slow, like slow motion compared to others, I think the Weids should get the start along side gilberto and then one of them gets subbed off for dero. Im not convinced dero can go 60min+ and be effective. I think around 30min game time is what would be best for him.

ag futbol
04-03-2014, 01:36 PM
I dont know guys. Most people are saying to give dero the start. After seeing him come in against DC and look rather slow, like slow motion compared to others, I think the Weids should get the start along side gilberto and then one of them gets subbed off for dero. Im not convinced dero can go 60min+ and be effective. I think around 30min game time is what would be best for him.
We should never start Wiedeman. Change the formation, change the players but make the most of the team you have at your disposal and put the best 11 you have out there. I'm cool with subbing in Dero, but use a better midfielder or defender as opposed to a lesser striker.

If the best players we have line up in something non 442 so be it. Better than fielding someone with no impact on the game.

Pigfynn
04-03-2014, 01:40 PM

Agreed, Dero has looked like a old guy out there. Too slow, no pep at all.

Columbus will be another battle, we need energy and fight out of all 11 guys.

CommradePolski
04-03-2014, 01:42 PM
Agreed, Dero has looked like a old guy out there. Too slow, no pep at all.

Columbus will be another battle, we need energy and fight out of all 11 guys.

This is why Id say start weids. One of his most memorable games was in a downpour scoring the winning goal against cocklumbus.

He will want to prove that he can work some magic again. I think him and gilberto would link up well also.

QBall
04-03-2014, 02:15 PM
I know Columbus <spit> is 3-0 but I really feel their talent is a mile wide but an inch deep. If Bradley, Rey and Jackson can lock down the midfield, and I know they have the talent to do so, then I think we should be able keep Columbus <spit> from advancing too far and even to see some nice feeds to Gilberto. We know Gilberto has a decent shot so now's the opportunity for him to show us what he can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E40t3mJrAkA

JayMolly
04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
This is why Id say start weids. One of his most memorable games was in a downpour scoring the winning goal against cocklumbus.

He will want to prove that he can work some magic again. I think him and gilberto would link up well also.

Yes we remember that 'RAIN' match, one of the best matches last year we could be proud of.
If our memory is correct, didn't the 'weedman' came off the bench to score that BIG goal?

barticusz
04-03-2014, 04:50 PM
http://us.soccerway.com/matches/2013/08/18/united-states/mls/columbus-crew/toronto-fc/1433334/

Last year's match at Columbus (2-0 loss).

A. You'll notice that TFC was coming into Columbus after a 3-0 defeat to RSL in their previous match. Odd eh?
B. Even without Defoe, Osorio, Caldwell, Laba, and possibly Henry.... are we really worse off than last year coming into this match?

I'd say that the following players are improvements: Gilberto + DeRo + Jackson + Bradley + Morrow + Cesar + Issey. Hell throw in Rey as he's more seasoned to this league at this time than he was last year.

There's no reason this team shouldn't compete for at least a draw. Losing to Higuain and company should it happen isn't the end of the world either.. we all know how important home field advantage is in this league. This should be an interesting match to say the least.

ag futbol
04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
We definitely need a "TFC shambolic moments" thread. This is fun!
I forget the exact circumstances, but I remember Mo Johnston signing about 12 defensive midfielders and no wingers or strikers despite our lack of offence. Anything Mo did in a given week could probably go up here. He really was making it up every day he was on the job.

koolvid12
04-03-2014, 05:35 PM
2-0 TFC book it.

SoccMan2
04-03-2014, 06:50 PM
So it's only the 4th game and already we are talking about having to start Wiedeman, " so TFC", lol.

Detroit_TFC
04-03-2014, 06:53 PM
This is an opportunity for Gilberto to get some of the spotlight. I hope he makes the most out of it.

SamK
04-03-2014, 11:27 PM
So it's only the 4th game and already we are talking about having to start Wiedeman, " so TFC", lol.

haha one of my favourite Tim and Sid segments

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tim-and-sid-thats-so-tfc/

Hamilton_Red
04-04-2014, 12:52 AM
Well if we can't get a result or compete with Gilberto..Bradley...Caesar..and supporting cast then its going to be a frustrating season. The way bradley played last night for the US?..shows that he can run the show. These type of games are critical in developing the depth in the team. Time for gilberto to show why he is a DP.

steve

brad
04-04-2014, 06:51 AM
^^The supporting cast is exactly what myself and many others are worried about. While I do think it is improving, it still has a way to go.

Gilberto & Cesar are still not match fit either.

Pookie
04-04-2014, 07:18 AM
In 3-4 years, if they draft well next year, they should be able to compete without relying on 1 or 2 players.

Captain
04-04-2014, 07:28 AM
I'm considering coming down to Joe's to watch the game tomorrow. How early should I be looking to arrive and where do I find good parking?
Thanks

Ossington Mental Youth
04-04-2014, 07:47 AM
I'm considering coming down to Joe's to watch the game tomorrow. How early should I be looking to arrive and where do I find good parking?
Thanks

i live in the area, it should be dead and parking will be plentiful (best off around the corner by lamport stadium). This of course is barring any sort of event i dont know about.

Graeme
04-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Man, the excitement sure deflated quickly from the boards, eh? While I realise we suffered a beating in Salt Lake, I think it is foolish to forget that RSL is lucky we didn't get on that score board. Even out-possessed, it was only fate that kept out those shots that hit the post. And while Henry's header wasn't on target, Rimando was beaten. How is it possible to watch the past two games and think that Gilberto is not dangerous?

Anyway, I'm predicting an exciting, goal-filled game. 3-2 Toronto.

Derko
04-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Man, the excitement sure deflated quickly from the boards, eh? While I realise we suffered a beating in Salt Lake, I think it is foolish to forget that RSL is lucky we didn't get on that score board. Even out-possessed, it was only fate that kept out those shots that hit the post. And while Henry's header wasn't on target, Rimando was beaten. How is it possible to watch the past two games and think that Gilberto is not dangerous?

Fickle fans, what can I say,lol

I too am predicting a TFC Win, Rey, Gilberto and Jackson are going to click I think.

Detroit_TFC
04-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Somehow we need to be in a position where MB can spend more time in an attacking position rather than cleaning up at the back. I don't think this game will be where that can happen. But there will be games where we'll see that.

I hope Nelsen watched that US v Mexico game, Beckerman and Bradley were an engine in that first half. If by next season we can replicate that (either with a returning Laba or some other high performing DM), we'll be in very good shape.

speckles
04-04-2014, 08:55 AM

I agree Gilberto has shown he is very dangerous, with his passes todate he has made quite a few of the opportunities for Defoe, actually he has made Defoe look good in that home game.. the problem really is..it difficult to do it all alone but also with a weak back line....which will leak goals.

RealG-TFC
04-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Fickle fans, what can I say,lol

I too am predicting a TFC Win, Rey, Gilberto and Jackson are going to click I think.

This. I honestly think Jackson, love him of hate him, is an integral part of this team. What I don't understand is how people were so quick to cast him aside. If we can have the patience to hope the likes of Bekker and Hall will improve then we should treat Jackson with the same patience. And unlike those two, he has already proven to have had a decent season or two in MLS.

Fort York Redcoat
04-04-2014, 09:22 AM
I want to wish all supporters traveling a good trip! Enjoy and represent!

We want pics and we'll be watching from Joe's!!

Abou Sky
04-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Just made my fantasy team for the weekend... Captained Higuain.

I think a 0-0 or 1-1 tie would be HUGE but I think it is likely that the Krew continue their win streak.

I still think we take 3 points next game at home, which would put us at 9 points in 5 games / 1.95PPG which is actually freaking amazing. (Even the 1.5ppg after a loss in game 4 is very good)

adam1001
04-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Somehow we need to be in a position where MB can spend more time in an attacking position rather than cleaning up at the back. I don't think this game will be where that can happen. But there will be games where we'll see that.

I hope Nelsen watched that US v Mexico game, Beckerman and Bradley were an engine in that first half. If by next season we can replicate that (either with a returning Laba or some other high performing DM), we'll be in very good shape.
I agree. Unfortunately, that would mean relying on hall to clean up the back, and he proved just how much of a useless pylon he is against rsl.

Detroit_TFC
04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Here's a question - should Bradley and Orosio form the Beckerman/Bradley-style tandem or should Tim B plan on getting a stud DM next season to allow MB to move into CAM role?

edit: wandering off topic here, sorry

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian) 39s (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/452118254400860161) Doneil Henry out for Saturday, Jonathan Osorio questionable. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash)

notthesun
04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Well that's about that. A draw would be a small miracle at this point.

edit: Morgan is also confirmed out, which means Morrow stays at LB. So we're looking at a backline of Morrow-Hagglund-Bloom and one of Richter, Agbossoumonde, or Orr filling in at CB.

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Oh, apparently Morgan is out too.

T-boy
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
At this point its just pin a tale on a name for CB positions! Hagglund, Boss, Orr, Richter, Morrow? If Morrow, then you can bring Jackson back to full back, where he has played before I believe? If Orr then Bloom is left back.

I would personally not try and put too many players out of position, I'd pick Boss and Hagglund. That's extremely lacking in experience, but at least they are both CB's by trade. The issue is that neither have played a second this season. Maybe Boss and Orr, just so you get Orr's experience, but then again, last weekend showed that Orr is behind in fitness/sharpness and do you really want somebody lacking sharpness playing CB?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! Good luck Ryan Nelson this weekend, you're going to really need to earn your dough to get anything out of this!

RoyalRed
04-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Holy fuck, who do we have left not injured at this point? This week's really exposed the lack of depth on the team. Think we're going to get a paddlin', unfortunately.

Ivy
04-04-2014, 12:10 PM
This is far beyond exposing depth... When you have 5 starters out, ANY team would crumble.

T-boy
04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
This is far beyond exposing depth... When you have 5 starters out, ANY team would crumble.

Plus its not just "any 5 starters" it includes your top goalscorer, your captain, and including 2 of your starting CB's!

barticusz
04-04-2014, 12:49 PM
This talk that TFC lacks depth over other MLS teams is comical to me. Lets just take a look at CLB's roster with the same injuries that we have (position based).

This was Crew's lineup against the sounders:

#Crew96 (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Crew96&src=hash) Starting XI vs. @SoundersFC (http://twitter.com/SoundersFC) : Clark; Williams, Gonzalez, Parkhurst ©, Francis; Jimenez, Trapp, Tchani, Anor; Higuaín, Oduro.

Both CB's gone, an attacking mid gone, and their best striker gone.

Who fills in for them? Likely Wall and Gehrig on D, Paladini as the Mid and Arrieta as the F?

That doesnt' look like a fantastic lineup any more eh?

We still have a decent Mid even without Osorio. A FW partnership of DeRo and Gilberto isn't terrible. Our defense is primarily rookies but it is what it is. Orr could fill in as a CB with his experience and we have between Hagglund, Richtor and Boss to choose from. The game is not lost yet.

Canary10
04-04-2014, 12:54 PM
This talk that TFC lacks depth over other MLS teams is comical to me. Lets just take a look at CLB's roster with the same injuries that we have (position based).

This was Crew's lineup against the sounders:

#Crew96 (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Crew96&src=hash) Starting XI vs. @SoundersFC (http://twitter.com/SoundersFC) : Clark; Williams, Gonzalez, Parkhurst ©, Francis; Jimenez, Trapp, Tchani, Anor; Higuaín, Oduro.

Both CB's gone, an attacking mid gone, and their best striker gone.

Who fills in for them? Likely Wall and Gehrig on D, Paladini as the Mid and Arrieta as the F?

That doesnt' look like a fantastic lineup any more eh?

We still have a decent Mid even without Osorio. A FW partnership of DeRo and Gilberto isn't terrible. Our defense is primarily rookies but it is what it is. Orr could fill in as a CB with his experience and we have between Hagglund, Richtor and Boss to choose from. The game is not lost yet.

Yeah I agree with this. Almost all MLS teams get thin really quickly. That issue is a bit over-emphasized.

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Henry
Caldwell
Osorio
Defoe

Who's the fifth starter?

barticusz
04-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Based on Nelson's comments after training today, he specifically mentions Hagglund and follows it up with Orr, Boss and Richtor.. He also mentioned that Kyle has been training very well in practice this week.

Bloom - Orr - Hagglund - Morrow
Rey - Bekker - Bradley - Jackson
DeRo - Gilberto

That's my predicted starting 11.

notthesun
04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Based on Nelson's comments after training today, he specifically mentions Hagglund and follows it up with Orr, Boss and Richtor.. He also mentioned that Kyle has been training very well in practice this week.

DeRo - Gilberto

Exactly John Molinaro's guess at the starting 11, for what it's worth.

adam1001
04-04-2014, 01:40 PM

DeRo - Gilberto

I think this is our best lineup at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen starts Hall ahead of Bekker again.

Super
04-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Will be a tough game tomorrow. Nelsen's tactics will be crucial to us not getting blown out. It's a long season, and we already have 6 points in the bag, so I'm not too concerned if we lose this one. But hopefully we can go to Columbus and pick up a point. Gotta always try!

Graeme
04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
I think this is our best lineup at this point. But I wouldn't be surprised if Nelsen starts Hall ahead of Bekker again.

I'd like to see Hall AND Bekker. Not convinced DeRo has 45 minutes in him yet, let alone 60+.

Red CB Toronto
04-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Time to shut down the Crew!!!

pdubs
04-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Id want to see something like this even though Nelson is married to the flat 4-4-2.
Like to see 4-2-3-1/4-5-1. Thinks gives us more defensive look where we can better string the counter attack.

----------------Cesar-------------------
Bloom --- Orr --- Hagglund --- Morrow
---------Bradley-------Jackson---------
Issey----------Bekker-----------Rey
--------------Gilberto------------------

or
----------------Cesar-----------------
Bloom --- Orr --- Hagglund --- Morrow
----------Hall-------Jackson---------
Issey---------Bradley-----------Rey
--------------Gilberto------------------

Like this second option better. Let Hall and Jackson sit. Probably best way to control the attacking threat they will bring. Let Bradley be the creative force in the CAM like with the USMNT. Think this is the strongest 11 we can field right now.

Problem with the flat 4-4-2, especially with the cast of characters we have this week, is a Dero/Weeds along side Gilberto leaves a lot to be desired on the defense side of the ball. Rey also isn't defensively sound, but huge upside offensively. You could possibly have Dero/Weeds drop back into midfield but I think the stronger option is to have 2 true DM assigned on the field with the CAM.
And besides the counter attacking soccer we are playing now, I think is more successful with 5 midfielders and still allows us to be defensively sound on the road where realistically we are playing for a draw.

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 03:29 PM
So the probable subs will be:

One of Hal/Bekker

Two of Richter/Orr/Agboss

Issy

Bendik

Weideman

I would call that about what we have been getting for the last 7.

MartinUtd
04-04-2014, 04:07 PM
I'd like to see something like this

--------------Gilberto
-----------------------DeRo
Issey-----Bradley-----Hall------Rey
Jackson--Morrow--Hagglund--Bloom
------------Ceasar

notthesun
04-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Straight sweep for Columbus from the MLSsoccer.com editors (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/04/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-and-cobi-jones-pick-week-5-matches) and I can't say I disagree. A point would be massive from this match.

OgtheDim
04-04-2014, 06:01 PM
If you believe in Kremlinology and what Nelsen says, when asked about forwards to play with Gilberto, he continually used the word "under Gilberto".

4-4-1-1 ?

Oh, and Nick Hagglund is such a neat kid to watch live that life.

tfcocd
04-04-2014, 10:07 PM
In 3-4 years, if they draft well next year, they should be able to compete without relying on 1 or 2 players.

I am really looking forward to this! In a 30,000 seater, hopefully packed to the rafters fielding Defoe 2.0.

Pookie
04-04-2014, 10:17 PM

Depth doesn't mean bench strength to me.

Depth means a solid 11. Starters specifically.

Getting bossed around by RSL shows that we don't have a competitive full roster. And won't for a couple of years. That was with all starters.

Would love to be wrong.

tfcocd
04-04-2014, 10:34 PM
If you believe in Kremlinology and what Nelsen says, when asked about forwards to play with Gilberto, he continually used the word "under Gilberto".

4-4-1-1 ?

Oh, and Nick Hagglund is such a neat kid to watch live that life.

Hagglund debut in his home town, would be nice to see him rise to the occasion and have a 'quiet' game where we don't have many talking points about our new cb pairing. Another player that it would be great to see rise to the occasion is dero. A tough defensive game - assume magical debut for hagglund :o - with a clinical counter by dero and maybe TFC can get something from the game.
:drinking:

jloome
04-04-2014, 10:38 PM
That was with all starters.

Osorio and Jackson were both out, and it showed.

Abou Sky
04-05-2014, 02:51 AM
I would love to see Becker rise to the occasion here.

Nelsen seems to rate him, looks like he has the skills but just needs to dig deep and get hard enough to go out and win.

Pookie
04-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Osorio and Jackson were both out, and it showed.

If this season hinges on Osorio and Jackson…

scooter
04-05-2014, 07:48 AM
the boys just need to show up ready to play today --- if they want to win then they can no matter who starts --- bring it on and f the crew

Pookie
04-05-2014, 07:56 AM
^ amen

ensco
04-05-2014, 09:00 AM
This is exactly the kind of game that has killed us historically.

Had a bit of mo, got killed, now we have a couple of guys out ... we have crumpled every time we have faced a setup like this.

It is not enough to be just down one in the 80th minute in some sort of tactical shell, but also getting owned and praying.

It has to be different. We have to give them a game this time. That's what I want to see. Win or lose.

Hamilton_Red
04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Away games in the Western conference won't matter in the long run. Games against our division rivals are crucial. We need a result out of this and with Bradley, Gilberto, and Caesar we should have enough quality to get it. This is the chance for some to claim a place as real professional footballers -you don't get many chances..you have to take them.

LFC8
04-05-2014, 10:42 AM
I hate going into the game hoping for a draw but with all these injuries i'll take it.

BBLaw
04-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Name one great team on the planet without good wide players? You can't. They would get annihilated on the wings by any team worth a damn(such as RSL) which is what happened.

LFC8
04-05-2014, 11:08 AM
^You could really say that about any position though.

Pookie
04-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Name one great team on the planet without good wide players? You can't. They would get annihilated on the wings by any team worth a damn(such as RSL) which is what happened.

Of course not, but I can name plenty of teams that sustain injuries and are still able to compete. Particularly when they spend more than any other team in their respective league.

Not knocking the boys at all.

The Tims put a band aid on this season and sold it as massive change. So, let's see the change.

Injuries are expected (particularly when Defoe was injured when he signed). Get on with it.

pdubs
04-05-2014, 11:11 AM

I think they are both critical to our success. Last year we saw Osorio make an impact on a bad team. This year he has continued on in similar fashion working with Bradley. Jackson gives us a true wide player with speed a defensive responsibility. Against DCU, Jackson's defensive prowess lead to several offensive chances that we didn't finish. For all the crap some people have dished him on this forum we missed him a lot in RSL. If both Osorio and Jackon start that game the team would have been a ton more competitive.

I would also disagree with your earlier statement saying depth means starters. Our starting 11 is fine compared to 11's against top teams. It is the drop off on the bench where we are suffering. Having Bloom at RM and Hall at CM show this last game. We need CM/DM cover along with CB cover. Dike gave us that different look up top and we haven't replaced him so that is another hole.

OgtheDim
04-05-2014, 11:17 AM
FWIW,

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10246520_10151960847791805_6015595746432965287_n.j pg

pdubs
04-05-2014, 11:20 AM
I am excited to see Hagglund in a meaningful game. Shows a lot of promise so far. No doubt he will be busy today lol

TFC07
04-05-2014, 11:21 AM
What happened to Agboss? Is he injured?

Pookie
04-05-2014, 11:23 AM
I think they are both critical to our success. Last year we saw Osorio make an impact on a bad team. This year he has continued on in similar fashion working with Bradley. Jackson gives us a true wide player with speed a defensive responsibility. Against DCU, Jackson's defensive prowess lead to several offensive chances that we didn't finish. For all the crap some people have dished him on this forum we missed him a lot in RSL. If both Osorio and Jackon start that game the team would have been a ton more competitive.

I would also disagree with your earlier statement saying depth means starters. Our starting 11 is fine compared to 11's against top teams. It is the drop off on the bench where we are suffering. Having Bloom at RM and Hall at CM show this last game. We need CM/DM cover along with CB cover. Dike gave us that different look up top and we haven't replaced him so that is another hole.

I don't dispute what you are saying.

But I look at this way. The Tims embarked on this plan to turn TFC around in 1 year. It was the easiest franchise to turn around according to Tim L.

So, he invested in an injured striker in a league that provides no budget relief for injured players. He sold a lot more tickets but after today Defoe will have missed half of our games thus far. Good move? Don't know. I suspect though that this won't be the only time Defoe sits. This budget situation, as you point out with Dike, means we can't replace players that go down.

Tims created this situation. Injuries are a risk but some might say an expected occurrence. If the team cannot weather the inevitable, that's the flaw in their design.

I do find it funny when people use the injury excuse. It's like building a house on the US coast and complaining during hurricane season. You know it (injuries) are coming. There hasn't been a season without them for any team in the history of sport. If you can't weather the storm, you can't blame bad luck.

Tims highlighted that they have this team going in the right direction. They probably do. But if they can't weather expected injuries, like that to Defoe, then maybe they aren't going there as quick as they promised.

I expect a competitive team tonight. Another night of possession in the 30's will be extremely disappointing.

David_Oliveira
04-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Where is everyone watching the game tonight? I was thinking of going to Shoeless Joe's tonight. Anyone else heading there?

Yohan
04-05-2014, 11:26 AM
If Richter starts beside Hagglund... OMG :p

pdubs
04-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I don't dispute what you are saying.

But I look at this way. The Tims embarked on this plan to turn TFC around in 1 year. It was the easiest franchise to turn around according to Tim L.

So, he invested in an injured striker in a league that provides no budget relief for injured players. He sold a lot more tickets but after today Defoe will have missed half of our games thus far. Good move? Don't know. I suspect though that this won't be the only time Defoe sits. This budget situation, as you point out with Dike, means we can't replace players that go down.

Tims created this situation. Injuries are a risk but some might say an expected occurrence. If the team cannot weather the inevitable, that's the flaw in their design.

I do find it funny when people use the injury excuse. It's like building a house on the US coast and complaining during hurricane season. You know it (injuries) are coming. There hasn't been a season without them for any team in the history of sport. If you can't weather the storm, you can't blame bad luck.

Tims highlighted that they have this team going in the right direction. They probably do. But if they can't weather expected injuries, like that to Defoe, then maybe they aren't going there as quick as they promised. I expect a competitive team tonight. Another night of possession in the 30's will be extremely disappointing.

I agree to much hype to soon. With our 11 we can make the playoffs and probably make a dent. With even 2 missing pieces (4 today lol) it will be rough. If we have 2 more good transfer windows and draft well (or trade picks for MLS talent) think the 18 has the potential to be very strong. We have a good foundation but having no one to bring off the bench isn't the way to bring success.

On that note I hope Hagglund impresses today. Has the opportunity to establish himself as a potential start for this club if and when Caldwell retires or Henry is sold to europe.

Pookie
04-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I agree to much hype to soon. With our 11 we can make the playoffs and probably make a dent. With even 2 missing pieces (4 today lol) it will be rough. If we have 2 more good transfer windows and draft well (or trade picks for MLS talent) think the 18 has the potential to be very strong. We have a good foundation but having no one to bring off the bench isn't the way to bring success.

On that note I hope Hagglund impresses today. Has the opportunity to establish himself as a potential start for this club if and when Caldwell retires or Henry is sold to europe.

Me too. Really interested to see him play.

I really hold out hope for 2015 and what Tim B will do. Unlike other management regimes, they have a lot of Superdraft picks and thus far haven't traded them away.

I really liked when Kevin Payne was here and he talked about signing younger DPs. He then stepped up to the draft and after taking Bekker, continued to trade down, over Generation Adidas players like Vancouver's Mennah, and land on a Canadian who they cut less than a year later. What a waste, IMO. Both the drafting and the giving up part.

The depth comes via the draft if it isn't coming via the Academy. Waivers and Re-entry drafts are other team's cast offs. Trades generally come out a wash. I really hope they hold on to their picks and are scouting their asses off right now.

notthesun
04-05-2014, 12:00 PM
If Richter starts beside Hagglund... OMG :p

Would you move Orr into the middle instead? I gotta be honest, Richter at CB doesn't exactly instill confidence, but I'd prefer it over Boss. Boss needs a loan to Wilmington badly.

Yohan
04-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Would you move Orr into the middle instead? I gotta be honest, Richter at CB doesn't exactly instill confidence, but I'd prefer it over Boss. Boss needs a loan to Wilmington badly.
I would. Richter and both are RBs, but Orr has experience. I don't expect Orr to do well, but he's better choice than Richter at CB

Yohan
04-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Me too. Really interested to see him play.

I really hold out hope for 2015 and what Tim B will do. Unlike other management regimes, they have a lot of Superdraft picks and thus far haven't traded them away.

I really liked when Kevin Payne was here and he talked about signing younger DPs. He then stepped up to the draft and after taking Bekker, continued to trade down, over Generation Adidas players like Vancouver's Mennah, and land on a Canadian who they cut less than a year later. What a waste, IMO. Both the drafting and the giving up part.

The depth comes via the draft if it isn't coming via the Academy. Waivers and Re-entry drafts are other team's cast offs. Trades generally come out a wash. I really hope they hold on to their picks and are scouting their asses off right now.
I think 1, maybe 2 1st rd picks will get traded around midseason, once it's more clear what will the likely positions those picks will be. Optimistically, I'd say the odds of you picking up a decent pick with a 1st rd pick is around 50%, assuming 2015 class is avg calibre. I think a lot of GMs are projecting a low quality class for 2015, considering how cheaply 2015 1st rd picks are traded away.

Yohan
04-05-2014, 12:23 PM
I'm feeling fatalistic today. all I remember are all the Crew jinx and how TFC can never seem to be able to get a result against these clowns

I saw a video of freaking Will Hesmer scoring on stoppage time. Then Jason Garey with another stoppage time winner. BAAAAAH

MartinUtd
04-05-2014, 01:01 PM
I suspect we hold on to the bulk of our draft picks given that 2015 will hold a double expansion draft.

Anyway, about today. I didn't expect to see Richter projected to start, if that's the case then it really shows a lack of faith in Agbossoumonde. I wonder if Issey will end up coming on as a DeRo replacement as well. Orr will likely sub in for Rey or if he's on a yellow, Jackson.

Cashcleaner
04-05-2014, 01:14 PM
I gotta admit, I'm not feeling great over our chances today. Columbus is sitting on a 3-0-0 record and enjoying a goal differential of +5. Offensively, they've been an incredibly threatening team. Nevermind the fact we're going to be missing some very key players of our own, this was always going to be a tough match.

SKB
04-05-2014, 01:32 PM
I would be ecstatic with a tie. If we finish the first 4 games with 7 points which includes 3 away games that would be a great start to the season. There are 2 points in the game for me. How will Gilberto do today without Defoe. Also does Ryan show some technical creativity and move away from flat 4-4-2. I feel this game we should move to 4-5-1

OgtheDim
04-05-2014, 02:22 PM
I think Orr starts over Richter. That projected 11 is never completely correct.

notthesun
04-05-2014, 03:06 PM
By my count we have exactly enough available players to fill the bench. 2 defenders will be left depending on who starts, one of Hall or Bekker, Issey, Wiedeman, Hamilton, and then Bendik. Only if Hamilton actually traveled with the team though.

Klinsmann
04-05-2014, 03:39 PM
RPB down in Columbus

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bke1tO8IUAARC5p.jpg

JavierMartini
04-05-2014, 03:46 PM
any streams ?

OgtheDim
04-05-2014, 03:51 PM
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=252789&part=sports

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/251961/1/watch-columbus-crew-vs-toronto-fc.html

JavierMartini
04-05-2014, 04:05 PM
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=252789&part=sports

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/251961/1/watch-columbus-crew-vs-toronto-fc.html

tyvm

OgtheDim
04-05-2014, 04:06 PM
Starting XI: Julio Cesar, Bloom, Orr, Hagglund, Morrow, Jackson, Bekker, Bradley, Rey, De Rosario, Gilberto.

mowe
04-05-2014, 04:13 PM
Looking forward to see what Bekker can do.

OgtheDim
04-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Bench: Bendik, Richter, Agbossoumonde, Hall, Nakajima-Farran, Wiedeman, Hamilton

Pookie
04-05-2014, 04:28 PM

Just to provide hope. NYRBs are without Cahill, Henry, Eckersley and Olave this weekend against the Impact and are currently leading 2-1 @ Montreal.

CountryoverClub
04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Becker to start. I like it!

LFC8
04-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I don't think the Crew are that good. Think it'll be 0-0:)

TFC07
04-05-2014, 05:06 PM
This is Bekker's chance to prove his worth.

notthesun
04-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Hopefully Gilberto can put in a strong performance today.

ag futbol
04-05-2014, 05:11 PM
The wide play in this league is more often passable as opposed to great. You can get away with having average wide players as long as the rest of the team is solid and your system makes sense.

edit: 4-5-1 eh? interesting

flatpicker
04-05-2014, 05:11 PM
All the streams I found are terrible!

Batman
04-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Glad this is an away game. Just home from Blue Jays game, and man, was it friggin cold and windy outside the Rogers Centre. Thankful to be sitting in front in the big screen at home

TFC07
Damn, pretty empty stadium for winning club.

dupont

Same here... one is not in English and the others have no commentary at all! haha

pdubs
04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
dero needs to do better. good corner from bekker.

flatpicker
04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Same here... one is not in English and the others have no commentary at all! haha

You would think it was 2007 or something!
Come on... give me good quality free stuff!!!!

Yohan
04-05-2014, 05:16 PM
love the clean sportsnet feed from MLS live ;)

ag futbol
The live broadcast is terrible too. Maybe I just don't have SN360 in HD, but my picture quality is awful. In comparison I was watching MTL-NY a second ago and everything was crystal clear.

Jack
I know they're the fancy new jersies and all, but I'm already sick of the onyx. We're the Reds, for fuck's sake. Why are we wearing onyx when the other team is yellow? Fuck off with your merchandise marketing.

dutch
04-05-2014, 05:17 PM
MLS Live *&^%#$ spend all this money on players and marketing and then missing the bus totally by allowing so many of your games to be inaccessible to joe public who wants to see what the buzz is all about. I just cant see how this helps the league or team in the long run.

flatpicker
04-05-2014, 05:18 PM
love the clean sportsnet feed from MLS live ;)

:hulk:

notthesun
04-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Big chance for DeRo on a counter attack, good pass from Rey. We seriously need to be clinical to get anything today.

valeo
04-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Anyone got a stream link ? Interested to see how you guys go.

pdubs
dero man. rey set him up nicely. good defensive play from rey.

magmadragon
This is the cleanest one I've found thus far http://lag10.com/channel1

dutch
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
best stream is feed2all link 3 in espanol
http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/251961/...oronto-fc.html

(http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/251961/1/watch-columbus-crew-vs-toronto-fc.html)

pdubs
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM
ALERT. Bekker with a tackle hold the presses!