PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2014 In-Season Player Injury Thread

CountryoverClub
03-31-2014, 01:25 PM
Let's hope this thread is an inactive as our playoff runs over the years.

Jermain Defoe - tweaked his hamstring in the second half of the RSL game...any updates?

OsorioOsorio
Julio Cesar - was in a nasty collision vs RSL, haven't read any reports of serious injury

Osorio - out 1-2 weeks....updates? Should we expect to see a return for our next home fixture vs the Rapids.

Osorio
Osorio

Ruffian
03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
I think the Julio Cesar injury came more from how he landed on the leg. It looked like it twisted to the side a bit. He played on, so I doubt it is major.

Stress
03-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Kris Lindsay‏@KrisitoLindsayMar 29 (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/KrisitoLindsay/status/450132362261590016)Julio Cesar looked like he had a grapefruit growing out of his knee in the locket room, but didn't seem too upset.

Given he stayed in the game I didn't think it was too serious but this tweet is a bit concerning. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

nonc
03-31-2014, 07:57 PM
Given Osorio's hammy was not right during/right after the DC game I'm wondering why in the hell he was even training last week? Because it certainly got worse. Seems like dumb management of a player to me.

mowe
03-31-2014, 08:47 PM
Given Osorio's hammy was not right during/right after the DC game I'm wondering why in the hell he was even training last week? Because it certainly got worse. Seems like dumb management of a player to me.

He wasn't in full training earlier in the week. He must've been felling better to train on Friday but he ended up aggravating it again. Just bad luck.

LFC8
03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
I suspect Defoe being subbed off was just precautionary. We were down 3-0 and he felt a little tweak. I think he'll be good for Columbus.

CountryoverClub
04-01-2014, 08:01 PM
TSN is reporting that Henry may sit out game vs Crew along with osorio & defoe.

Note - the article has no authoritative reference just "may"

Yohan
04-01-2014, 08:04 PM
TSN is reporting that Henry may sit out game vs Crew along with osorio & defoe.

Note - the article has no authoritative reference just "may"
Reference Nelsen interview from earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLXEssWb5d8

OgtheDim
04-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Watching that, I'd say Henry is more likely then not to play while Defoe is waiting on a scan and will not play if it endangers anything long term.

Osorio is out, probably until New England.

CountryoverClub
04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Jermain Defoe has been ruled out of Toronto FC’s road game versus the Columbus Crew on Saturday due to a hamstring injury. http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-toronto-fc-tfc-jermain-defoe-steven-caldwell-jonathan-osorio-doneil-henry/

Pookie
04-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Regarding Defoe. While there is no official word from the club we can make some comparisons.

The Jays broadcast mentioned Reyes' hamstring injury saying "there is no such thing as a minor hamstring injury".

Reyes was diagnosed with a mild one via MRI but will miss at least 15 days. He injured it before a couple of seasons ago and missed 30 games.

Returning too soon can lead to permanent muscle weakness or so says WebMD.

Abou Sky
04-05-2014, 02:54 AM
I wonder how much of Defoe and Osorio being held back has to do with erring on the side of caution and figuring 3pts against Colorado is better than 1pt each vs Kolumbus and Colorado

Pookie
04-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Based on what you read about hamstring injuries and the way Reyes is being treated with a "mild" one, I'd say it's logical that Defoe misses 2-4 weeks at a minimum.

If they lose today, there may be pressure to play him next Saturday against Colorado. I really hope they don't until he is 100%.

Osorio's injury is more concerning to me. Young and to go down twice in 2 years is not good. They also haven't said much about it which leads one to think that it may be more significant.

Pookie
04-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Here's a fun bit of fact.

Nelsen said that he didn't think Defoe's hamstring injury wasn't related to his Tottenham one.

He's listed as having a "left hamstring" injury.

Check out this picture of Defoe leaving a match, from Tottenham, Aug 3 of 2013. Not sure about you but that appears to be his "left hamstring" he is clutching isn't it?

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2122218.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Jermain-Defoe-2122218.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/monaco-5-2-tottenham-match-report-2122203

Pookie
04-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Defoe and Bradley are "questionable" for the weekend according to multiple reports.

Nelsen suggests that it is partly because of training on turf.

Now there's a can of worms…

prizby
04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Defoe and Bradley are "questionable" for the weekend according to multiple reports.

Nelsen suggests that it is partly because of training on turf.

Now there's a can of worms…

Nelsen is the MLS verision of Mourinho when it comes to mind games

PopePouri
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Nelsen is the MLS verision of Mourinho when it comes to mind games

Exactly. Bradley will be playing for sure. Most likely no Defoe and Henry. Oso may be on the bench.

reggie
04-09-2014, 12:18 PM
are we the little horse or the big horse?

barticusz
04-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Here's a fun bit of fact.

Nelsen said that he didn't think Defoe's hamstring injury wasn't related to his Tottenham one.

He's listed as having a "left hamstring" injury.

Check out this picture of Defoe leaving a match, from Tottenham, Aug 3 of 2013. Not sure about you but that appears to be his "left hamstring" he is clutching isn't it?

My guess is Nelson was referring to the injury that Defoe suffered in February right before coming to TFC.. not back in August 2013.

Joe Kool
04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
I am actually surprised that it took this long to have an In Season Injury Thread given our history with bullshit injuries....or did I just miss it when it came out?

tfcleeds
04-09-2014, 02:18 PM
One things for sure - this should be one of the busier threads way things are going.

notthesun
04-09-2014, 04:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDLgJhECVHY

Bekker, Orr, DeRo all trained today, seems like they'll be perfectly fine by the weekend. Rey still feeling his hamstring a bit. Bradley and Defoe both rested.

MartinUtd
04-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Never noticed this thread until now, great idea!

Could we use it to include updates on suspensions and yellow card accumulation?

Pookie
04-18-2014, 04:10 PM
Here is your April 18th update for TFC:

Out
F Jermain Defoe (L hamstring strain)
D Doneil Henry (L knee strain)
D Ashtone Morgan (L hip flexor strain)
F Bright Dike (L Achilles)
M Jeremy Hall (L calf strain)
M/F Dwayne De Rosario (R hamstring strain)
M Alvaro Rey (R hamstring strain)
Last update: April 18

Questionable
M Jonathan Osorio (R hamstring strain)
M Michael Bradley (L quadriceps strain)

and the league:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Ivy
04-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Here is your April 18th update for TFC:

Out
F Jermain Defoe (L hamstring strain)
D Doneil Henry (L knee strain)
D Ashtone Morgan (L hip flexor strain)
F Bright Dike (L Achilles)
M Jeremy Hall (L calf strain)
M/F Dwayne De Rosario (R hamstring strain)
M Alvaro Rey (R hamstring strain)
Last update: April 18
Questionable
M Jonathan Osorio (R hamstring strain)
M Michael Bradley (L quadriceps strain)

and the league:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

^^^*sigh*...

prizby
04-18-2014, 10:54 PM
even if Oso and Bradley dress, they don't have 6 outfield players for the bench

ManUtd4ever
04-19-2014, 08:03 AM
At least Hall is out. :P

pdubs
04-19-2014, 08:50 AM
You have to believe since we have a bye week this week, 14 more days off (minus practice) until New England game on May 3rd we should hopefully have more players back by then. Next two games afterwords are cup games (2nd priority in my opinion, tho i know this thought isn't completely shared here) should have a good healthy team after that. World cup players leave around may 18th tho...so depth will be questioned (hopefully Defoe will not go to Brazil aha). In theory it should set up us nicely for July where we play 7 games, 21 points available. Will need a full healthy team by then (hopefully we can add depth when the transfer market opens if we have the cap room)

sidvan
04-19-2014, 10:02 AM
You have to believe since we have a bye week this week, 14 more days off (minus practice) until New England game on May 3rd we should hopefully have more players back by then. Next two games afterwords are cup games (2nd priority in my opinion, tho i know this thought isn't completely shared here) should have a good healthy team after that. World cup players leave around may 18th tho...so depth will be questioned (hopefully Defoe will not go to Brazil aha). In theory it should set up us nicely for July where we play 7 games, 21 points available. Will need a full healthy team by then (hopefully we can add depth when the transfer market opens if we have the cap room)

USMNT WORLD CUP camp starts May 14 so Bradley is gone then. Assume Brazil and England are the same.

OgtheDim
04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
USMNT WORLD CUP camp starts May 14 so Bradley is gone then. Assume Brazil and England are the same.

The supposition in most circles is the MLS players are released after the 17th.

Yohan
04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=450301

Hall is out for a long time. Need a DM cover ASAP

Kaz
04-24-2014, 05:42 PM

You know what I really like that article... I mean we are lacking a little depth up front, but given how bad it was last season that is understandable.. but if we have had 20 different players on the pitch this year while missing the main adjusted goal scorer, that is pretty good.

ManUtd4ever
04-25-2014, 01:46 PM

That's not necessarily a bad thing...g:D

MartinUtd
04-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Lets start the Joey Barton rumours again. I'm sure 'arry could use some more pocket change.

Dreadlocks
04-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Anyone see any status updates on Rey?

Pint
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Sounds like everyone except for hall could be available this weekend including Dero, Rey, and Henry... Defoe and Bradley are going to be available.

Pookie
04-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Sounds like everyone except for hall could be available this weekend including Dero, Rey, and Henry... Defoe and Bradley are going to be available.

We have all chatted about depth.

Aside from Bradley and Defoe, I'm not certain that any of the other injured guys takes a starting spot. I'd prefer Orr in for Henry, Jackson and Issey in for DeRo and Rey….

reggie
04-29-2014, 01:12 PM
I agree...but I rather have REY instead of ISSEY in the starting lineup.

Pint
04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
We have all chatted about depth.

Aside from Bradley and Defoe, I'm not certain that any of the other injured guys takes a starting spot. I'd prefer Orr in for Henry, Jackson and Issey in for DeRo and Rey….

I sincerely disagree... Rey IMO is our best winger even though he is streaky. Henry has been good this year but i could see an argument about having Orr over Henry but that would not be my choice. Dero is valuable to our team as a 3rd striker because if not we have Weedman coming off the bench as a late game sub when looking for a goal.

hulkrogan
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM
I sincerely disagree... Rey IMO is our best winger even though he is streaky.

Agreed, against Dallas we could not get the ball forward through the midfield and started resorting to hoofing it up. Rey can take the ball up the wing, dick around while three players make missed tackles, then distribute once the rest of the team catches up to the play. Someone who can hold the ball in the midfield when an option isn't immediately available is incredibly valuable, and he's been missed.

jloome
04-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Agreed, against Dallas we could not get the ball forward through the midfield and started resorting to hoofing it up. Rey can take the ball up the wing, dick around while three players make missed tackles, then distribute once the rest of the team catches up to the play. Someone who can hold the ball in the midfield when an option isn't immediately available is incredibly valuable, and he's been missed.

The biggest issue with all of these injuries, to me, isn't even how it affects our lineup on Sunday, it's how it leaves us without guys training together, and developing cohesiveness. Puts us behind the curve and reliant on stars like Bradley and Defoe to pull something out of a hat.

OgtheDim
04-29-2014, 02:23 PM
The biggest issue with all of these injuries, to me, isn't even how it affects our lineup on Sunday, it's how it leaves us without guys training together, and developing cohesiveness. Puts us behind the curve and reliant on stars like Bradley and Defoe to pull something out of a hat.

Going to take until the middle of September to get there, realistically.

You can see it in the D line. Caldwell works with Bloom for a few weeks last season and now works with Morrow for most of this season - those 3 are tight. Caldwell and Henry have a good understanding, and Caldwell and Orr are getting there too Its the best unit on our team.

The top 7 need to play together for a couple of months and understanding will come.

I'm seriously looking forward to 2016 when we've had years of working together.

BuSaPuNk
04-29-2014, 05:52 PM
As much as Orr has been pretty soild since getting soild time during injuries Henry brings too much to keep him out of the starting XI if he's 100%.

Henry is so good in the air with his height and is probably our best set piece defender all around. We lack height in set peices Henry brings that. And the games he has played before the injury he really showed that he's not giving up the one bad mistake per game anymore. He was really jelling with Caldwell in the middle. If like them to continue to work together.

It's nice that Orr can slot in. He really didn't show well in his first few outings counting the preseason but he's really showed his quality lately.

OgtheDim
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw&v=T5vKh56orTc& feature=player_detailpage#t=82

Note how Defoe indicates he probably didn't rest enough and now is stronger then he was.

backbeat
04-29-2014, 11:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw&v=T5vKh56orTc& feature=player_detailpage#t=82

Note how Defoe indicates he probably didn't rest enough and now is stronger then he was.

I believe, and it was probably additionally tied into his thoughts towards the World Cup, but i do think he/and they were taking the time at the beginning of the season to be sure he recovered - which he has. so good on them...now let's go out and win the home stretch......:scarf:

Pookie
04-30-2014, 06:22 AM
Despite him being "100%" and the injury "not too serious" they still need to manage his minutes.

It was the 3rd hamstring injury in about a 4 month span. This one took him out for a month. As pointed out on page 1, min recovery time for a "tweak" is 2-4 weeks.

All good comments for public consumption but privately they need to be cautious.

All that said, looking forward to seeing him play.

T-boy
04-30-2014, 10:56 AM
the problem this season with Defoe (and probably Bradley too) is that they have been playing (or at least training) at in-season level since August last year. Their bodies have already played a whole season. That's going to really increase the chances of stress and fatigue muscle injuries. Both players both need an off season to rest, and they aren't going to get that rest until November!

Let's say that both players go to the World Cup - that means they are going to continue intensive training and not even get a mid-season couple of week break - that's going to be hard, especially on Defoe. Selfishly we need Defoe not to go to Brazil and have a long rest. But Bradley is going to burn out this season at some point without any rest at all.

Phil
04-30-2014, 10:58 AM
^^^ that is why they didn't let Bradley train much in pre season. I know they are thinking about this, wether or not it works out is out of our hands.

Captain
05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
Any word on Oso? I hope his injury from Saturday is short lived.

OgtheDim
05-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Any word on Oso? I hope his injury from Saturday is short lived.

Larson tweeted something about on one crutch after the game, hurt like hell, dead leg, charley horse....so who knows.

Ivy
05-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Quadricep contusion.

Hamilton_Red
05-06-2014, 12:41 AM
I agree...but I rather have REY instead of ISSEY in the starting lineup.

Any particular reason?

Abou Sky
05-28-2014, 03:01 PM
Any particular reason?

Rey puts in a better cross and takes defenders better 1v1

LFC8
05-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Alvaro Rey....has the skill of a world class player but the brain of a goldfish

mitchf
05-28-2014, 06:12 PM
World Cla....

Gah, forget it

LFC8
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
^They're 2 exaggerations

Abou Sky
05-28-2014, 10:10 PM
Priceless!

Hamilton_Red
05-30-2014, 01:03 AM
Rey puts in a better cross and takes defenders better 1v1

I don't think he has completed a pass...never mind a cross. He is half the player Plata was...

reggie
05-30-2014, 01:15 AM
too many trolls on this site these days...what do u want from a 200k player,you guys can never say anything good about anybody.

barticusz
05-30-2014, 07:58 AM
too many trolls on this site these days...what do u want from a 200k player,you guys can never say anything good about anybody.

Isn't that the truth. So many judge this team as if the majority of their roster made over 200K each... For all the good posters on here, the most vocal ones act as if this club is Manchester United and we should have Pep as our Manager. Absolute nonsense.

OgtheDim
05-31-2014, 09:39 PM
Nelsen indicates Orr out until the WC break (says he was just guessing FWIW)

OgtheDim
07-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Had to go a ways to find this thread but it seems to make the most sense to highlight a couple of things.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 48m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/490175178786091008) Nelsen says Jackson could be out 10-14 days. But could be back for KC game.

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 57m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/490172904525422592)
Bloom out 4-6 weeks.

Canary10
07-18-2014, 12:41 PM
^ Caldwell a month too apparently. That sucks. Guessing Hagglund plays right back, Orr and Henry in the middle.

Pookie
08-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Defoe's injury is a suspected "sports hernia" according to Sportsnet.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/tfcs-defoe-sits-out-impact-game-due-to-injury/

Generally speaking, treatment for that injury is about 1-2 weeks of rest, ice/heat followed by 4-6 weeks of physical therapy. Early return risks re-injury.

That is kind of a "hope for the best" scenario and hope that it resolves on its own with minimal invasive procedures. Time really is the main variable there.

If however he needs surgery, it would be at least 6-12 weeks and Orthopaedic journals suggest that it has a success rate of anywhere from 70-90% amongst athletes.

Sounds like Gilberto may have just earned himself a lot of playing time.

ouderwien
08-03-2014, 04:04 PM
I hope that Defoe's injury is in order to not play in the All-Star game, but I suspect that it is not.

Richard
08-03-2014, 04:36 PM
I swear this guy is made of glass. He is a fit player for sure but my goodness does he pick up these nagging injuries.

I think a good comparable is Robbie Keane, right now Defoe is missing 55%(1 for yellow accumulation) of our MLS games, and in 2-3 years time I think he is not going to eclipse Robbie in performance, he just isn't built to last like him.

Pookie
08-03-2014, 04:44 PM
I swear this guy is made of glass. He is a fit player for sure but my goodness does he pick up these nagging injuries.

I think a good comparable is Robbie Keane, right now Defoe is missing 55%(1 for yellow accumulation) of our MLS games, and in 2-3 years time I think he is not going to eclipse Robbie in performance, he just isn't built to last like him.

It's more a question of compounding injuries.

If you have hamstring issues, other muscles compensate. Over time, they wear out too.

I took flack for it but to me, this off season is the time to exit from this contract. 3 more years. No budget/cap relief. The risk isn't going to go down with him. If management can understand that we all accept that we don't need big name retirement names to compete, we'll be in a great position.

mowe
08-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Defoe's problem was that he had a hamstring issue when he came over and he hasn't had an extended period of rest since the EPL season started. 3 months off after this season will do him a lot of good.

dupont
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Damn. This is much worse than I originally thought.

TFC07
08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
Defoe's problem was that he had a hamstring issue when he came over and he hasn't had an extended period of rest since the EPL season started. 3 months off after this season will do him a lot of good.

Agreed. Same with Bradley who hasn't played up to his potential yet beside first couple of games.

Joe Kool
08-04-2014, 12:58 PM
I hope that Defoe's injury is in order to not play in the All-Star game, but I suspect that it is not.

That was my first thought actually. If only we could be right. It wouldn't be the first time a player/team did something like that I am sure.

Pookie
08-04-2014, 02:35 PM
^ He's officially out of the All Star game. Replaced by Dom Dwyer.

reggie
08-04-2014, 05:42 PM
he is out 2 to 3 wks..groin strain..could of been worse..

notthesun
08-04-2014, 05:55 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/08/injury-update-jermain-defoe

I'll take it, I guess.

JayMolly
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Same with Bradley who hasn't played up to his potential yet beside first couple of games.

Hope Bradley's minutes are limited in the MLS All-star match.

We have too many injuries now.

Pookie
08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
he is out 2 to 3 wks..groin strain..could of been worse..

Different grades of groin strain. Best be optimistic and hope for a Grade 1.

Grade 3 is a bitch and can take you out for months.

TFC/Everton
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/08/injury-update-jermain-defoe

I'll take it, I guess.

Ya, could be much much worse. Larson was reporting prior to TFC official statement that it could be 4-6 weeks.

2-3 is a lot better. Hopefully Gilberto can continue to score goals.

Pookie
08-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Larson said 4-6 based on that "Sports Hernia" that was floating around the press box.

Interesting choice of words on the injury. Groin strains are fairly easy to diagnose. Sports hernias usually are diagnosed when they can't find any other cause. It's not something that shows up on an imaging test.

To do more testing to confirm is interesting. Might suggest this is more complex. Hopefully just cautionary. Assuming of course all the speculation in the press was accurate to begin with and/or the team is disclosing the full situation to them. At least they aren't calling it a lower body injury like the Leafs do.

Either or, if you've had a groin strain it is a tricky one as reoccurrence rates are high.

Like hamstrings these can become chronic.

If Defoe is to last out the remaining 3 years on his contract, some consideration should be given to shutting him down for an extended period of time if his recovery is anything less than 100%.

dupont
08-05-2014, 09:01 AM
If Defoe is to last out the remaining 3 years on his contract, some consideration should be given to shutting him down for an extended period of time if his recovery is anything less than 100%.

I'd hate to say it because he is our best shot at playoffs this year but I wonder if that might be the best idea. I guess it depends if he really is here for the entire time of the contract.

jabbronies
08-05-2014, 10:06 AM
IMO - Shut him down until September. This is the second time this season he's gone down with an injury. I'd rather have him healthy for the final stretch of the season and into the playoffs. That's when we need him the most.

Until then we have another DP striker who should be able to pick up the scoring.

T-boy
08-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Totally agree. I think we will see a totally different Defoe and Bradley after they have a proper off season and pre-season with the team. I expect we will see on and off injuries to both players this season just due to the amount of football they have played constantly in over a year without a break.

dupont
08-05-2014, 03:07 PM
So Dike is back in training. That is great news but I just hope they aren't rushing him back cuz of Defoe's injury

TFC1154ever
08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Any news on how long they think Dike will take to get to match fitness? I know about them assuming late august when he got hurt. Any update?

Ivy
08-05-2014, 04:13 PM
He said in the interview that he feels ready to go, just depends on when Ryan selects him. Great news. Have high hopes for the guy.

ManUtd4ever
08-05-2014, 07:31 PM
We have more depth at the striker position than ever before. We should be able to produce offensively until Defoe returns to the lineup.