PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , Jul.22

denime
07-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Pride on the line as TFC battles Impact

'It's probably going to be the most important game in club history,' says Toronto goalkeeper Sutton

Morgan Campbell

When Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact kick off the final game of the Canadian Championship tonight, they'll be playing for much more than a trophy.
They'll play for pride. Major League Soccer's setup doesn't lend itself to derbies, but some TFC players say today's game – to decide the top pro team in Canada this year – sure feels like one.
And for a chance at a bigger stage. A TFC win earns them a spot in the inaugural CONCACAF Champions League later this year. Impact only needs a tie to advance.
Finally, they'll play for credibility. A tournament title would bolster the Impact's case for inclusion in Major League Soccer, while TFC hopes to prove that Canada's highest profile pro team is also its best.
Add all those factors and tonight's game isn't just big – TFC goalkeeper says it's one of the biggest. In Canada, at least.

Read more (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/464695)

All to play for

PETER MALLETT
Canadian bragging rights and sweet revenge are on the line in tonight's final match of the Canadian Championship between Major League Soccer's Toronto FC and the visiting Montreal Impact of the United Soccer Leagues.
Toronto (1-1-1) must win the final fixture in the three-team round-robin to advance to the CONCACAF Champions League preliminary round of 16, but the Impact (2-1-0) need only a tie to qualify.
"We are going into the game looking to win," Adam Braz, a Montreal Impact defender, said. "It's good because we have put ourselves in a position to advance. It's a chance for us to prove that we are the best team in Canada, but also [it would be] a huge honour to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League."
Born in Montreal, Braz was used sparingly by Toronto last season, playing in 13 games before being released in the off-season and returning to the Impact, where he had spent four seasons previously.

Read more (http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080721.wsptnutrilite21/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/home)

TFC faces uphill battle
By DEAN MCNULTY (dean.mcnulty@sunmedia.ca), SUN MEDIA

Tonight's Canadian socccer championship final against the Montreal Impact -- a CONCACAF game that wasn't even contested last season -- is being hailed as the biggest soccer match played in the short history of Toronto FC.
Some are even hyping the BMO Field showdown as simply the most important played in the history of soccer in this country.
In reality, it likely ranks somewhere in the middle.
TFC, with a record of 1-1-1 in the round robin tournament that also included the Vancouver Whitecaps, must win against Montreal to advance in the CONCACAF Cup against the best clubs in North and South America next winter.
And TFC coach John Carver admitted yesterday his Major League Soccer club has all the pressure going into the 7:30 p.m. start against a Montreal side that plays in the lower wrung United Soccer League.

"Everyone expects us to win," he said. "But I'm expecting our big players to handle the pressure."
Carver knows all too well the pitfalls of playing against a team that plays in a lower league.

Read more (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2008/07/22/6227961-sun.html)

TFC need to make an Impact
By Ryan Johnston
SPORTSNET.CA

Toronto FC's deficiencies in front of goal might be all the game-plan the visiting Montreal Impact (2-0-1) need in the final game of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship on Tuesday night at BMO Field.

The MLS representative (1-1-1) in the inaugural have just one goal to show for their last three matches, including a scoreless draw against the expansion San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday.

"They might be thinking that they will play the 10 men behind the ball because we haven't anyone who can put the ball in the back of the net," coach John Carver said during one of the lighter moments of Saturday's post-match conference. "But it just takes one minute, and it's in the back of the net."

Carver's team will need that one minute of inspiration against Montreal as anything less than a win will eliminate the MLS team. For Montreal, a draw at BMO Field will suffice and send the USL representatives through to the next round. Not needing to score or concede a goal to advance, Impact coach John Limniatis may opt to play a conservative - let's not say sluggish - 90 minutes.

Read more (http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/07/21/tfc_impact_preview/)

TFC preparing for battle with Impact
Reds end busy month with 'most important' game

TORONTO -- The busiest month of Toronto FC's season is almost over, but it will end with perhaps the most important game of all. Toronto FC plays host to the Montreal Impact on Tuesday night in the final game of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship. It is a must-win game for the Reds, who must pick up the three points against the Impact in order to win the tournament and go on to represent Canada in the CONCACAF Champions League.
"It's probably going to be the most important game in club history, and one of the most important games in Canadian history as far as soccer goes," said TFC goalkeeper Greg Sutton. "It's exciting. We're happy to be playing here at home, and we now we have to win the game. We're confident going into it and we're excited."
The Impact, who play in the United Soccer Leagues First Division, lead the three-team table with six points thanks to a pair of 2-0 wins against fellow USL side Vancouver Whitecaps. TFC and Vancouver each have four points, but since the Whitecaps have played all four of their tournament games, only the Reds stand between the Impact and the Champions League.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20080721&content_id=174555&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Sunshine (http://www.torontosun.com/SUNshineGirl/home.html)

JDG
07-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Good to see you back!

Oldtimer
07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for posting these first thing bright and early.

DOMIN8R
07-22-2008, 06:43 AM
God Bless Denime!

sully
07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
has all the pressure going into the 7:30 p.m. start against a Montreal side

^^^quote

- the game's at 7:00pm right??

Phil
07-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks to arbogast for stepping up these last few weeks and helping out. Very much appreciated. :D

McBrace
07-22-2008, 07:27 AM
has all the pressure going into the 7:30 p.m. start against a Montreal side

^^^quote

- the game's at 7:00pm right??

The Tickets and the TFC Website says 7:00, so I would assume these are correct, not the papers.

Shaughno
07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
^ and what the hell would you know? :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 7:00pm anyway.

McBrace
07-22-2008, 07:45 AM
^ and what the hell would you know? :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's 7:00pm anyway.

I know that you aimed at my head on purpose last night!!!!! Thank God I wasn't wearing glasses!

Oh and I know your a prick!;)

Mark in Ottawa
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Welcome back Demine and thanks to all of the news "seekers" helping out here.
Appreciate it.

TFC Cityboy
07-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah it's 7 pm k/o

RealG-TFC
07-22-2008, 08:28 AM
TFC need to make an Impact

lol saw that one coming

Technorgasm
07-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
cuz Mon-tre-al Is Shit!!!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

MG42
07-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

YES!!!!!!!!

Stugatzo
07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

Brilliant!!!
hahahaha:taz::hump:

Nerepis
07-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

Hello my Baby
Hello my honey
Hello my ragtime doll
Send me a kiss by wire
Baby my hearts on fire
If you refuse me, honey you'll lose me
and you'll be left alone
Oh Baby,
T.O will kick the limpact hooooooome!

ilikemusic
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Trophy >>> Pride

'Bragging rights' and 'pride' are what meaningless games like the ASG or the overpriced friendlies are for.

Something far more important than 'pride' is on the line tonight.

Sounds like just a bunch of empty rhetoric from a bunch of writers who dont actually understand the tournament.

maninb
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

Best new song/chant I've heard in quite some time!!! Well done!

arbogast
07-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks to arbogast for stepping up these last few weeks and helping out. Very much appreciated. :D

Hey...any time! And thanks to everyone who pitched in and gave me a hand too. BTW this job aint easy, especially after a night o' drinkin!!!

TicTacTabarnack
07-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Trophy >>> Pride

'Bragging rights' and 'pride' are what meaningless games like the ASG or the overpriced friendlies are for.

Something far more important than 'pride' is on the line tonight.

Sounds like just a bunch of empty rhetoric from a bunch of writers who dont actually understand the tournament.

The press still don't get it ... This is what's actually on the line tonight! http://64.13.252.151/forums/showthread.php?t=3579

:canada::canada::canada::canada:

Stouffville_RPB
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Overature!
Dim The Lights!
This Is It!
We'll Hit The Heights!
On With The Show!
This Is It!

GET THIS CHANT GOING TONIGHT!!!! EVERYONE KNOWS THIS SONG!!!!!