PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC - Commentators

FluSH
03-26-2014, 09:54 PM
I hate to say this, but I can't recall the last time that we had a memorable Goal that was done proper by our TFC sports commentators...

Partially because we haven't had many goals g:D But now!

Now with Defoe, Dero, and The General! We will have more goals!

We need a world class goal announcement to the likes of "Maurice Edu... They sure love you!" Heck that was the last time I had chills from watching a goal announcement!

I am still bitter at the injustice of the Miracle in Montreal... Very subdued commentating... We can't have that anymore!

prizby
03-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Jermain Defoe on his MLS debut and something about a dream start was actually exactly how I played it out in my head...loved it

Red CB Toronto
03-26-2014, 10:31 PM
It would be amazing if Ray Hudson was the voice of the Reds. One of my favourites. His call of the San Zusi goal during WCQ was great. "A big flaming spear through the heart of Panama"

OgtheDim
03-27-2014, 06:10 AM
Watch out for airplanes up there Icarus.

flatpicker
03-27-2014, 07:08 AM
I wouldn't mind some better announcers.
Most that call MLS games sound pretty goofy.
My biggest issue with TFC games in Craig Forest.
He tries to hard to sound extra excited,
And overuses the words "absolutely brilliant".

CBTFC
03-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Mike Lange, the radio voice of the Pittsburgh Penguins, has some of the best announcer quotes of all time.

"Well shave my face with rusty razor!"

"He left the defenceman on the parkway on the way to the airport!"

"He's handing out checks like it's the first of the month!"

Some more of his gems found here: http://goingfivehole.blogspot.ca/2008/03/introducing-mike-lange-tournament-of.html

Joe Kool
03-27-2014, 07:18 AM
How about that guy Jack from the Raptors games..,"Get that garbage outta here!!!"

brad
03-27-2014, 07:29 AM
It would be amazing if Ray Hudson was the voice of the Reds. One of my favourites. His call of the San Zusi goal during WCQ was great. "A big flaming spear through the heart of Panama"

Ray Hudson would be hilarious - this is the best place on Twitter btw...

https://twitter.com/liverayhudson

Brooker
03-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Miss Nigel Reed immensely. His goal calls were better than anything we get to hear nowadays by a mile.

He still with the CBC? He was at the home opener I know that.

Richard
03-27-2014, 08:46 AM
Jack Armstrong would be hilarious. But yes, I kind of miss Nigel too, he sometimes is a bit boring but he has pretty good commentary. Last I recall he still is at CBC sine he does WC coverage for them, I really wish CBC would pick up a bunch of games like in the early days.

ag futbol
03-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Count me as one who does not miss Nigel. Guy was nothing but a bag of cliches and barely knew half the players names on the home team. Wileman is okay, DeVos is a bit too preachy but can effectively get a point across. But I would point out it is obvious they are both well prepared for games and know what they need to talk about. By comparison the sportsnet guys look lazy and disinterested. If I have to watch another game where Craig Forrest spends 90% of the time complaining about the ref I will lose it.

FluSH
03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
I miss Nigel Reed... We need someone with Gusto to replace him!

TorontoGooner
03-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Now they got rid of Nigel Reed anyone works for me. Couldn't stand that posh bloke. Should be commentating on Cricket or Rugby

greatwhitenorf
03-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Only a tinfoil-hearted gooner could slag off Nigel Reed. Just because he's a Spurs fan. He was good enough to call Liverpool games.

Absolutely the most authoritative voice we've had in Canadian soccer since the days of Thunderin' Dale Barnes. I don't have anything against Luke Wileman but is he still employed by TFC? In this day and age of networks being 'broadcast partners' with leagues or clubs, all commentators are compromised. But if you're double dipping by working for a club as well, it's even harder to treat that information objectively.

Truly cannot listen to Dan Whatsisname?, the radio guy whose party trick was to scream and shriek everytime a TFC player backlifted a foot.

And Ray Hudson is a diamond - "Rainbow shot. Pot of gold at the end."

tfcleeds
03-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Guess I'm in the minority in that Ray Hudson grates on me. I want to listen to commentary, not a freaking poetry reading. I don't have a problem with the occasional colourful metaphor, so much as his constant blaring voice.

Fort York Redcoat
03-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Man, I can't believe how venomous people get with tv commentators.

I'm glad I barely hear them since I'm either at games our amongst friends at the pub for away games. The times I have heard them and had an eye roll were the American Homers on the MLS 6min replays but it's all the style they want to put forward. In the US they honestly don't care on the whole that the commentary sounds like another sport.

As for our own commentary I've never been so frustrated as for National side commentary. Those 2 really get down on the team a lot.

Nigel is by no means perfect but I liked his play by play before I got to drink with him. He's a helluva nice guy btw who will talk with anybody about the game we love.

JuliquE
03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Guess I'm in the minority in that Ray Hudson grates on me. I want to listen to commentary, not a freaking poetry reading. I don't have a problem with the occasional colourful metaphor, so much as his constant blaring voice.
Gotta say, I'm on the fence.. but, sorta leaning in this direction.

At first, because it was new to me, hearing him commentate was entertaining. Now, once you hear him recycle a bulk of metaphors he uses, it comes off as him trying too hard. If you listen carefully, he also seems to be stepping on the toes of whomever he's partnered with (often Phil Shoen), cutting him off and/or dismissing anything he's saying, as he pontificates on the subject; I admire his passion, but, he can sometimes come off as a bit of a dick, and, for me, it detracts from the game, becoming an annoying sideshow.

Pookie
03-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I find the older I get, the less I want to listen to someone else telling me what I see. Many times, I just want to argue back and find that some commentators actually take away from the game for me.

If there were a specialty channel that offered sports broadcasts with just the game only and the only sound came from the mic'd field/ice/pitch… well, I'd subscribe.

dupont
03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
The worst I've heard is whoever that American announcer that says "It's in the net! It's in the net! It's in the net!" as if he is pinching off a huge turd as he yells it.

JuliquE
03-27-2014, 01:17 PM
The worst I've heard is whoever that American announcer that says "It's in the net! It's in the net! It's in the net!" as if he is pinching off a huge turd as he yells it.
LMAO Agreed.

flatpicker
03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I find the older I get, the less I want to listen to someone else telling me what I see. Many times, I just want to argue back and find that some commentators actually take away from the game for me.

If there were a specialty channel that offered sports broadcasts with just the game only and the only sound came from the mic'd field/ice/pitch… well, I'd subscribe.

I like it.

notthesun
03-27-2014, 01:27 PM
What we really need is Thomas Rongen back in the booth.

"Thank you for shopping at Koevermans!" :lol:

Red4ever
03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
I loathe these threads with all my heart. They're all good, none of them are as good as the EPL guys.

Love Forrest, Like Dobson, Love Wileman, Love DeVos, Love Reed.

Hudson is way too over the top, but i'll take him over Natural sound. The day I have to watch football without an announcer calling is the day I eat a sausage without mustard.

flatpicker
03-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Love Forrest,

:confused:

I will forever doubt everything you say from this point onward.

:smilewinkgrin:

Red4ever
03-27-2014, 01:56 PM
hahaha

habstfc
03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
I think Nigel Reed does the odd game on TSN when there is a double header, I'm pretty sure he did a couple last year. There is a double header on TSN this saturday with the Vancouver and TFC games the same day. Wileman can't be in two places at once, maybe Reed will be working this weekend.

TorontoGooner
03-27-2014, 06:51 PM
Only a tinfoil-hearted gooner could slag off Nigel Reed. Just because he's a Spurs fan. He was good enough to call Liverpool games.

Absolutely the most authoritative voice we've had in Canadian soccer since the days of Thunderin' Dale Barnes. I don't have anything against Luke Wileman but is he still employed by TFC? In this day and age of networks being 'broadcast partners' with leagues or clubs, all commentators are compromised. But if you're double dipping by working for a club as well, it's even harder to treat that information objectively.

Truly cannot listen to Dan Whatsisname?, the radio guy whose party trick was to scream and shriek everytime a TFC player backlifted a foot.

And Ray Hudson is a diamond - "Rainbow shot. Pot of gold at the end."

I didn't know he was a Spurs fan. And I've met the bloke, he's an arse. Just doesn't sound right when he talks football. And he called Liverpool games on the radio briefly, before they dropped him, not overly impressive

redisthenewblk
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
I actually quite like the Wileman and DeVos duo. They are knowledgeable, and I find their commentary adds to the viewing experience - very professional. Now some of the dudes that duo commentary on the games for US networks can be downright annoying. Sound like they're covering WWE or something. As far as MLS goes, we're party lucky to have Wileman and DeVos. My two cents!

Mr. Bigby
03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I actually quite like the Wileman and DeVos duo. They are knowledgeable, and I find their commentary adds to the viewing experience - very professional. Now some of the dudes that duo commentary on the games for US networks can be downright annoying. Sound like they're covering WWE or something. As far as MLS goes, we're party lucky to have Wileman and DeVos. My two cents!

Hi Deanna! Welcome to the boards. I have to agree. The U.S. crews often do seem to be taking it down to the lowest common denominator. And as my Sig below says...g:D

redisthenewblk
03-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Hi Deanna! Welcome to the boards. I have to agree. The U.S. crews often do seem to be taking it down to the lowest common denominator. And as my Sig below says...g:D
Thanks for the welcome! Looking forward to some great footy discussion!

FluSH
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
I live over the top... Now, that doesn't mean all the time, but Someone who can make a beautiful goal forever memorable. That is what I would like to see with TFC.

One of the best commentators in North America was Andrew Bell(Charleston Battery) for me... He was good and pure class!

Abou Sky
03-27-2014, 09:16 PM

Worst of the worst are Crew commentators!

MLS Live has been painful for a few.

It seems like in the US the commentators are more biased to their home teams.

Dreadlocks
03-27-2014, 09:31 PM
On Real Madrid's defense: "Working harder than a one-eyed cat covering three mouse holes."

- Ray Hudson

Fucking classic!

FluSH
03-27-2014, 09:39 PM
On Real Madrid's defense: "Working harder than a one-eyed cat covering three mouse holes."

- Ray Hudson

Fucking classic!

love that one!

GuelphStorm2007
03-27-2014, 11:51 PM
I actually liked Nigel Reed'S game calling , And to be honest I do not mind any of guys that do call our games . I would not mind seeing Carlo Zampa from Italy call our games he actually is radio voice for A.S. Roma he is kind of like the Italian Ray Hudson Since we have a affiliation with A.S Roma maybe have him and broadcast the games here.

redisthenewblk
03-28-2014, 11:42 AM
Looks like some of you will get hour wish! According to Nigel Reeds twitter he'll be calling the game at RSL tomorrow.

pdogg
03-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Here's hoping the MLS Live stream uses TSN instead of RSL's feed, then.

greatwhitenorf
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
I sometimes wonder if, beneath that austere wardrobe, all-business buzzcut and hawkish gaze, if Jason De Vos still isn't wearing his cleats.

And swinging them under the studio table when Kristian Jack steals an analytical point he wanted to make.

This twosome are getting better with every game. KJ was great when he was at The Score with James Sharman. A shame we're robbed of their easy banter and the occasional droll quips when Sid Sexeiro joined them. Now paired with DeVos, KJ is squeezed into a more structured, scripted setting which doesn't always let his quick wit emerge. DeVos is unquestionably knowledgeable and well connected. But it would be nice if he leavened that intense delivery with a little humour, but it's great to have solid Canadian contributors, especially former players who had solid careers for good clubs and Canada.

I'd like to see Dwayne De Rosario be cultivated for broadcast duties when he hangs 'em up.

Globetrotter
03-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Best way to avoid this issue is to actually go to the games.

greatwhitenorf
03-28-2014, 12:23 PM
How about both? Go to the game and come home to watch it again.

redisthenewblk
03-28-2014, 12:40 PM
How about both? Go to the game and come home to watch it again.

I do that too. It's almost like watching a new game because of the change in perspective.

OgtheDim
03-28-2014, 12:43 PM
.. James Sharman. A shame ....

I'm agree.