PDA

View Full Version : How much do Nelsen & Tims earn?

Abou Sky
03-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Looked and couldn't find anything.

Anyone have numbers?

Pint
03-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Doubt the numbers are available but I wouldn't doubt Nelsen and Tim B are at a mil+ and TL is likely on a very Significant salary considering his role... maybe 1 or 2 people in North American sports make more than TL

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Doubt the numbers are available but I wouldn't doubt Nelsen and Tim B are at a mil+ and TL is likely on a very Significant salary considering his role... maybe 1 or 2 people in North American sports make more than TL

TL's 5% share of AEG had an approx. value of $500,000,000 so he is not hurting.

speckles
03-26-2014, 12:04 AM
Nelsen was on 4.5 million when he finished as a player. So given that...what would it take to get him to coach..possibly independently wealthy so if you want to stay in the game and coach you can afford to do for a lot less or you may consider you would not get out of bed for less than three million... ??

prizby
03-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Nelsen was on 4.5 million when he finished as a player. So given that...what would it take to get him to coach..possibly independently wealthy so if you want to stay in the game and coach you can afford to do for a lot less or you may consider you would not get out of bed for less than three million... ??

4.5M as a player for one year (2.25M when he left) or a 3 year coach contract; i'd say probably 10k a week at most...just a guess

Oldtimer
03-26-2014, 07:13 AM
Since they are not part of the player's union, I doubt their salaries will ever get released.

lanarkist
03-26-2014, 08:39 AM
TL's 5% share of AEG had an approx. value of $500,000,000 so he is not hurting.

Remember hearing that his severance from AEG was $100,000,000 - tough life.

jabbronies
03-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Based on what I Found on Big soccer from 2007 - I would say he is making anywhere from 150,000-300,000K - No way he makes more than that:

-Arena was making $600,000
-Gullit is making $4,000,000 for 3 years (average of $1,333,333.33/year)
-Kinnear makes around $250,000
-Nicol makes around $175,000 (and his contract is up after next season)
-Osorio, Johnston, Kreis, Schmid and Yallop all make over $200,000 (Yallop is the only one with specific numbers at $210,000)
-Some teams (only RSL is listed) pay Asst Coaches "nearly $100,000"
-It can be inferred that the following coaches make less than $200,000 (along with Nicol): Soehn, Clavijo, Onalfo, Preki and Morrow

Carts
03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
Me and Leiweke make the exact same salary actually - if you quote mine by the year & his by the minute... :facepalm:

brad
03-26-2014, 12:14 PM
TL will be on an bonus/performance based contract for sure. Pretty much all upper tier execs are in big corporations. He won't be hurting for base salary, but his big earnings will come with success. A big, stab in the dark guess is that TL is probably making 1-2 million per year as a salary, and stands to make a lot more if performance targets are met (upwards of 10 million if things go really well). Note that performance at his level is probably not tied directly wins or losses and playoff appearances for teams, but to corporate success goals - like growing revenue, ect. Now he is smart enough to know that this stuff grows when you win though, so indirectly he would be tied to winning.

Bez is probably not making what people think. I'd be surprised if he's much beyond the 200-300k range for base salary. He will also have targets tied to success, but probably based directly on success of the TFC on the field. I'd be surprised if his total compensation was above a million under the best case scenario (TFC win the MLS cup).

Nelsen - who knows. His playing salary has no bearing on his managerial salary. Players in the EPL are for the most part getting paid more than managers (with the big managers like Mou being an exception). A player retiring from the EPL and going into management are not going to make anywhere near what they make as a player. Most of the time they are going to go to lower leagues or smaller leagues to cut their chops, and they are going to make quite small salaries since those teams don't have a lot of money.

The reason I can't even guess though is that we have a history of overpaying managers (Winter was the highest paid in the league). Don't know if we still do/did that since hiring Nelsen, but that would be the decider.

ag futbol
03-26-2014, 12:16 PM
But keep in mind it's not just about what he's earning today but what he could earn in the future. Eventually that $4.5M was going to turn into zero in the near future, but if he starts early coaching and does well with it he can hugely increase his earning potential.

I would guess:

Nelsen & Tim B: low hundreds.
Leiweke: 7 figures, with incentive based performance stretching it into 8 figures, maybe deep into 8 figures.

ag futbol
03-26-2014, 12:51 PM
The reason I can't even guess though is that we have a history of overpaying managers (Winter was the highest paid in the league). Don't know if we still do/did that since hiring Nelsen, but that would be the decider.
*warning wild speculation ahead*

I would say - as MLS is centrally run - some coaching appointments are league directed, while others are franchise directed. TFC was coming off Aron Winter / Paul Mariner, I doubt that was a league invention as much as it was TFC. So the league sees TFC screwed up(again) and says something to the extent of "we are giving you Kevin Payne and he will decide what to do". Payne doesn't like Mariner, so he is inevitably fired. League at that point has advised teams to bring in former players to coach. They are cheap, they can use Jason Kreis as an outlandish justification for every hire no matter how green, and they replace an old guard of MLS coaches whose performance is lagging.

Payne looks around and realized he doesn't have anyone he's immediately comfortable with. A lot of his former mainstays are already coaching or were being queued up elsewhere. Otherwise, they already have the connection to MLS so would rather not work for Payne. KP doesn't want someone who he isn't already familiar with because he's a control freak. So he goes down his list and eventually comes to Nelsen. Nelsen has coaching aspirations but hasn't really taken any steps in the direction. So by offering him this position, it saves Nelsen years of toiling as an assistant / jr coach and also gets him out of a shit-show QPR locker room. This also offers Nelsen a connection into MLS which is more valuable to him than other players because he's spent so much time away from England and is only familiar with a certain number of people. He passes on this chance in MLS, he might not get another.

So from Nelsen's POV it's a no-brainer to come here because it's a huge step forward in his coaching career. MLS-Payne tick all their boxes, MLSE management twiddles it's thumbs and really doesn't give it their full attention because Bogers is doing a strategic review and they realize their jobs are at-risk.

Anyway, that's my tinfoil hat theory behind that whole process. But if there's one thing I would stand by it is that it was possible for RN to be hired because of the direction the league was going at the time. Basically we should view him like a Jay Heaps, Jesse Marsh, Mike Petke, Carl Robinson, etc... So I would think his pay would be in line with those guys, because the league is paying for these type of hires.

Oldtimer
03-26-2014, 12:58 PM
... and Robbo is doing quite well for the Whitecaps, so it's not necessary to have decades of experience to do some damage in this league.

ag futbol
03-26-2014, 01:12 PM
... and Robbo is doing quite well for the Whitecaps, so it's not necessary to have decades of experience to do some damage in this league.
I'm not arguing that you do need decades of experience, or that some of these candidates aren't holding their own. However, you'll have a very hard time convincing me that there isn't an extreme amount of learning on the job going on with these types and all involved would benefit at least from getting a reasonable amount of assistant coach / jr coaching experience / maybe coaching licenses, before they step into the top spot. The way they are making these hires recently is odd to say the least.

Lumpy
03-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Here is a list of Premier League manager salaries (don't know how accurate it is and it is outdated but it gives a good idea of the salary range.)
http://www.trophy4toon.co.uk/index.php/premier-league-salaries/

brad
03-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm not arguing that you do need decades of experience, or that some of these candidates aren't holding their own. However, you'll have a very hard time convincing me that there isn't an extreme amount of learning on the job going on with these types and all involved would benefit at least from getting a reasonable amount of assistant coach / jr coaching experience / maybe coaching licenses, before they step into the top spot. The way they are making these hires recently is odd to say the least.

With the exception of proven, experienced MLS managers (who, lets face it are few and far between), I've often thought the best place to look for managerial candidates would be in lower division leagues (not too low, but outside the top). I think finding someone that knows how to get the most out of a squad of player of varying ability (often limited). These people often know how to build a team on shoestring budget. While there may be no hard salary cap, lower division teams usually have pretty fixed financial constraints when it comes to building a team.

But that is waaay off topic,

Abou Sky
03-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Remember hearing that his severance from AEG was $100,000,000 - tough life.

How do I get that job?

It's amazing because I know people say 'it's just show' but he really does seem like a decent, down to earth individual.

speckles
03-26-2014, 03:02 PM
But keep in mind it's not just about what he's earning today but what he could earn in the future. Eventually that $4.5M was going to turn into zero in the near future, but if he starts early coaching and does well with it he can hugely increase his earning potential.

I would guess:

Nelsen & Tim B: low hundreds.
Leiweke: 7 figures, with incentive based performance stretching it into 8 figures, maybe deep into 8 figures.

I agree with you comments, i have a good handle what Nelsen was earning while in the EPL as I worked for a consulting company at the time providing professional services to several EPL clubs. I posed the question as there is no details available...the only data from 2007 for MLS managers would suggest low hundreds as a median....six years ago....however employing someone who is once on a major income into a role that pays only a fraction of the previous earnings is tricky. Yes they want the job for other non financial reasons however human nature catches up in time and it is not a great motivator to been earning so much less to what they are accustomed to...combine that with the high stress/difficulties in managing TFC pre and post the Tims...

Nelsen's position would have a substantial financial carrot if his base income is just low hundreds... my guess is somewhere in the middle....500k plus bonus allowing it to nudge 1 million plus. Otherwise he will be on a silly multimillion dollar contract driven by dysfunction at the club at the time.

I agree Tim B will not be on as a high income as some may expect...it will require a good premium to his old job thou. plus bonus

Tim L. mostly likely 1.5-2.5 M base plus value added bonus... which give the value of the whole business will allow great than 10 million pa. best case.

brad
03-26-2014, 03:03 PM
How do I get that job?

It's amazing because I know people say 'it's just show' but he really does seem like a decent, down to earth individual.

He might very well be. Just because of his position, it does not necessarily mean he isn't.

speckles
03-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Tim L. value is his network and connections, his ability to get things done through people. I would expect him to be very much a people person with the insight to determine what motivates people...

ag futbol
03-26-2014, 04:44 PM
I agree with you comments, i have a good handle what Nelsen was earning while in the EPL as I worked for a consulting company at the time providing professional services to several EPL clubs. I posed the question as there is no details available...the only data from 2007 for MLS managers would suggest low hundreds as a median....six years ago....however employing someone who is once on a major income into a role that pays only a fraction of the previous earnings is tricky. Yes they want the job for other non financial reasons however human nature catches up in time and it is not a great motivator to been earning so much less to what they are accustomed to...combine that with the high stress/difficulties in managing TFC pre and post the Tims...

Nelsen's position would have a substantial financial carrot if his base income is just low hundreds... my guess is somewhere in the middle....500k plus bonus allowing it to nudge 1 million plus. Otherwise he will be on a silly multimillion dollar contract driven by dysfunction at the club at the time.

I agree Tim B will not be on as a high income as some may expect...it will require a good premium to his old job thou. plus bonus

Tim L. mostly likely 1.5-2.5 M base plus value added bonus... which give the value of the whole business will allow great than 10 million pa. best case.
Yeah I agree mostly.

However, I expect Nelsen's salary is within the same ballpark as the other rookie managers in MLS, maybe at the top end of the range, but same ballpark. I can't see the league being interested if they had to dangle a huge financial carrot. It is simply not worth their while to compensate him that way when you could find a comparable for far less.

speckles
03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah I agree mostly.

However, I expect Nelsen's salary is within the same ballpark as the other rookie managers in MLS, maybe at the top end of the range, but same ballpark. I can't see the league being interested if they had to dangle a huge financial carrot. It is simply not worth their while to compensate him that way when you could find a comparable for far less.

Interesting point...would it be the club only making the decision or MLS has input? I had assumed it was purely a club decision unlike players... which may be wrong....Payne always wanted Nelsen and Ryan had another club arrangement possible at the time.