PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 3 : TFC at Real Salt Lake, Sat March 29 9:30PM EST

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Toronto FC (2-0-0) at Real Salt Lake (1-0-2)
Saturday, March 29, 2014
Rio Tinto Stadium - 9:30 PM EDT - TSN2/MLSLive

Pertinent Information:
2014 Real Salt Lake Season
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Real_Salt_Lake_season)2014 Toronto FC Season

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Toronto_FC_season)Well, time to see if we can rip the very fabric of spacetime, and have a Toronto FC team go 3-0-0 to start a season. This will also be our first meeting of the season against Joao Plata

Should be an interesting game, and a genuine test for our revamped lineup. RSL are not an easy team to beat, let alone at home. I've also heard that Rio Tinto's pitch is in pretty rough shape right now.

So, let's have at it - what is your probable lineup? Expect any changes from this weekend? Who do you expect to give us problems?

GuelphStorm2007
03-23-2014, 02:32 PM
I t will be a interesting match My concern over there is the altitude We have never had that much success over there other than a win in 2007 . Onn paper we are just as good or better. As far as changes I think we will have the same starters as last game Unless Jackson gets suspended for that elbow look for Issy to take his place. I do want to see us with more ball possession than yesterday.

Alonso
03-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Toronto FC (2-0-0) at Real Salt Lake (1-0-2)
Saturday, March 22, 2014
BMO Field - 9:30 PM - TSN

Pertinent Information:
2014 Real Salt Lake Season
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Real_Salt_Lake_season)2014 Toronto FC Season

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Toronto_FC_season)Well, time to see if we can rip the very fabric of spacetime, and have a Toronto FC team go 3-0-0 to start a season. This will also be our first meeting of the season against Joao Plata

Should be an interesting game, and a genuine test for our revamped lineup. RSL are not an easy team to beat, let alone at home. I've also heard that Rio Tinto's pitch is in pretty rough shape right now.

So, let's have at it - what is your probable lineup? Expect any changes from this weekend? Who do you expect to give us problems?

A couple of mistakes in your original post: Date and venue are incorrect.

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 02:36 PM
A couple of mistakes in your original post: Date and venue are incorrect.

Yeah my bad - fixed the errors.

- Scott

notthesun
03-23-2014, 03:00 PM
Plata has started quite well and despite missing a glorious chance last game, I think he's favorite to hurt us this weekend. 2 goals and 2 assists for him so far.

This will probably be our toughest test yet. Away against maybe the most possession-oriented team in the league, I expect similar counter-attacking and high pressure tactics from Nelsen. The defense will have to be on point. The pitch at Rio Tinto was awful yesterday, maybe even worse than BMO's. Hopefully it's up to standard by the weekend.

----------Julio Cesar------------
Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
Rey---Osorio---Bradley---Farran
------Gilberto---Defoe----------

I'd like to see what Orr can offer at RB. Also putting Nakajima-Farran in for now because I hope he'll be signed and expect Jackson to be suspended at least a game for his elbow against D.C.

mowe
03-23-2014, 03:08 PM
I'll be happy with a point. RSL are a very good team.

Cuppy
03-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Anyone heading to Joe's for this one?

GuelphStorm2007
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I will be happy with a point

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Taking a point out of Rio Tinto would be great, a victory would be amazing. Let the Reds keep rolling.

Mun
03-23-2014, 04:10 PM
A point in this game would be huge and keep the momentum going. I too would like to see Orr get a start. Also, need more service from Rey and Jackson (hopefully Issy can play). In the game yesterday, there were countless moments where Jackson completely killed a counter attack with his heavy first touch and inability to cross. As the season goes on he will need to improve on that. Rey has great dribbling skills but again he keeps his head down far too often. They will need to be better against RSL. Another thing I noticed yesterday was the lack of balls down the middle when Defoe is on his runs. At least 2 or 3 times where a ball ala Osorio to Defoe in Seattle would have sprung Defoe. Instead the ball would go to the wings and they would try to cross it to Defoe in the wind. Low probability given the conditions and Defoe's height. Gilberto on the other hand provided those balls on the ground and Defoe should have had 2 goals.

Ruffian
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Joao Plata pulled up injured in his game this weekend. He was subbed off. Might not play,

flatpicker
03-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Joao Plata pulled up injured in his game this weekend. He was subbed off. Might not play,

Not that I wish bad things for young Plata, but I would be very ok with it if he needed to rest that game.

Mr_gamble
03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Would be happy taking a point, thats for sure. I'd like to see Orr start, but would have no complaints if Nelsen wants to keep Bloom there. I expect some form of punishment for Jacksons elbow, so would be nice if Issy has indeed signed for us.

As for Mr Plata, if he needs a game out, then so be it. I wont complain. But I need warning so I can take him out of my fantasy football team in time ;)

Abou Sky
03-23-2014, 06:39 PM

If a crew is making it out I would love to join in, although I would love to hit McQueens as it is crawling distance from home.

TFCwestcan
03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Game day weather, plus 18 C, not bad, saw a photo of the pitch looks bad but better than BMO, we in the west have had a crappy long winter as well, likely the same as Alberta.

tfcleeds
03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
This match will be a litmus test to see how far we've actually progressed. RSL are still one of the best in MLS. We'll have to be on top form to come away with 3 points here.

tfctillidie
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
i hope Saborio is suspended for this match...dude plays dirty...2 Galaxy players were injured cause of his dirty plays. We cant afford an injury to any of our players while we tryin to jell

Hamilton_Red
03-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Your right about that Leeds. After the euphoria of the openers..this will be a test of how much depth and consistency we have. Somebody other than Defoe will have to start scoring goals.

akoto
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
According to mlssoccer.com the game is on TSN2 not TSN. Just a heads up. Also on MLSLive.

Kayaker
03-23-2014, 09:00 PM
I am about to fly out to Utah tomorrow (for a conference), I'm hanging around for an extra couple of days to catch the game and I may be the only TFC supporter at Rio Tinto! (please correct me if I'm wrong, would love to meet up with anyone that may be there)

Anybody been there before and do you have any tips?

After the first couple of games this year, trying to keep my expectations down... would love if we pulled out a tie, but these guys did make the finals last year.

Defoe
03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
ridiculous putting the game on TSN 2.

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2014, 03:19 AM
According to mlssoccer.com the game is on TSN2 not TSN. Just a heads up. Also on MLSLive.

Updated, thanks.

- Scott

ensco
03-24-2014, 06:13 AM
Is this the first time we've ever been two games over .500? I think Preki might have had us there for a nanosecond, not sure.

I think Nelsen might want to rethink tactics for this one. We need more than the counter. We're giving possession away too cheaply. Better teams will punish us for it.

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2014, 06:28 AM
Is this the first time we've ever been two games over .500? I think Preki might have had us there for a nanosecond, not sure.

I think Nelsen might want to rethink tactics for this one. We need more than the counter. We're giving possession away too cheaply. Better teams will punish us for it.

Think I read somewhere yesterday, that this is only the fifth time in club history we've even had a winning streak. Ponder that fact for a moment.

Wouldn't at all be shocked if this is our first time at two games over .500, but Preki and Cummins both had some half-decent runs.

Who was coach the year we failed to make the post-season due to that 4-0 drubbing in NY in the last game of the season? Was that Cummins?

- Scott

Joe Kool
03-24-2014, 07:23 AM
I have raised my expectations since the start of the season. I will be happy only with a win. Screw this "I will be happy with a tie" mentality. I left that in Seattle. I was also disappointed that we only got one goal on Saturday. Let's go reds!!! I expect big things.

brad
03-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Not sure about number of times we have we have been over .500 for 2 games, but we have had 3 game winning streaks twice - 3 (April 13–26, 2008) and (July 11-18, 2012)

Wiki page on the list of TFC records and stats is quite good for this stuff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_FC_records_and_statistics

brad
03-24-2014, 07:34 AM
I was curious about 2 games won back to back as well (the wikikpedia folks color code W/L/D on their table which makes it easy at a glance to see this). Looked at League only.

For 2 game wins (excluding the 3 game periods I mentioned above):

2007 - May 12 & 16th
2009 - April 22 & 26
2009 - June 13 & 24
2010 - May 22 & 29
2011 - Sept 10 & 17th
2013 Jul 27 & Aug 4th

More times than I expected, but still pretty poor..

tfcleeds
03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Think I read somewhere yesterday, that this is only the fifth time in club history we've even had a winning streak. Ponder that fact for a moment. Wouldn't at all be shocked if this is our first time at two games over .500, but Preki and Cummins both had some half-decent runs. Who was coach the year we failed to make the post-season due to that 4-0 drubbing in NY in the last game of the season? Was that Cummins? - Scott Yep, Cummins would have been in charge for that one.

tfcleeds
03-24-2014, 08:45 AM
In 2008 under Carver, there were 3 occasions where we were 2 games over .500. Haven't looked at all the seasons though.

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2014, 09:00 AM
After reading the match report for RSL v LA, I'm feeling like we have a chance to win this, but a road draw would keep the momentum going too. Bradley vs Beckerman is going to be quite a battle.

flatpicker
03-24-2014, 10:24 AM
I hope they go out gunning for a win. We need all the points we can get before the World Cup arrives and takes important players from us.

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2014, 10:28 AM

If a crew is making it out I would love to join in, although I would love to hit McQueens as it is crawling distance from home.

I plan on it. Hype to come.

levyashin
03-24-2014, 10:36 AM
For# KAYAKER#.
Went to R.S.L. 3 season's ago.
We stayed down town Salt Lake really good time.
There is a huge shopping centre that you can enjoy.
Big bar and grill within the hotel.
Transport to Sandy( R.S.L. field) is similar to GO transit.
Train goes right from downtown to Sandy and takes about 30mins.
Just a 5 minute walk from getting off the train.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Nice if you can see a 2-0 w:drum::hump:in.

ag futbol
03-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I expect us to give them a tough challenge, any points earned is a huge bonus. This would be one of those games where we could turn the corner and show we are on the rise or ... Revert to classic TFC and have a very long night.

pdubs
03-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Joao Plata ‏@JoaoPlata10 (https://twitter.com/JoaoPlata10) 15m (https://twitter.com/JoaoPlata10/status/448122958351831041) 3 Weeks out # hamstring !!3 semanas fuera de las canchas ..#posterior (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23posterior&src=hash).

Yohan
03-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Traditionally TFC sucks at Rio Tinto. Altitude sucks. Even though RSL is no longer as dominant as they used to be at home, I'd be very happy with a draw. RSL is no joke, even though their defence hasn't been solid so far this season.

RSL is just one of TFC bogeyman teams. Then again, so was Seattle...

Defoe
03-24-2014, 11:23 AM
TFC are the favourites here no doubt about it... Some of you seem wary about being to optimistic, understandably so... But this team is legit, Bradley, Gilberto, Defoe up front cannot be matched!! 2-0 reds. Gilberto with his 1st.

tfcleeds
03-24-2014, 11:32 AM
I prefer to be wary - it's done some good the last couple of games not to be too overconfident. Don't see how TFC can be out-and-out favourites when we have an all-time record at Rio Tinto of 0-4.

PopePouri
03-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Happy for a draw. They've got an excellent squad of players.

Canary10
03-24-2014, 12:24 PM
i hope Saborio is suspended for this match...dude plays dirty...2 Galaxy players were injured cause of his dirty plays. We cant afford an injury to any of our players while we tryin to jell

I'd like to see Saborio try to go dirty on Caldwell or Henry. Either of them will break his legs if he does...

Abou Sky
03-24-2014, 12:38 PM
RSL is done with CCL matches so they won't be worn out this time around.

Draw and a point would be great, I think RSL is one of the best in the league, although... I also think Seattle is one of the better teams so let's see what happens.

Defoe
03-24-2014, 01:46 PM
I wonder if their will be a big crowd to see Defoe and Bradley, RSL seem to have pretty good crowds/atmospheres as it is.

ManUtd4ever
03-24-2014, 02:26 PM
You just know that Plata would have torched us, so we're fortunate that he'll miss this one.

I'm expecting a hard earned draw, and an exciting match between two of the most skilled teams in the league. It still feels strange to refer to TFC in that regard...:tongue:

MartinUtd
03-24-2014, 02:47 PM
So could they be without both Plata and Soborio?

speckles
03-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Well we cant count on Defoe to keep scoring all the goals, the others will have to start to covert opportunities as well. Gilberto looks as sharp yet not match fit. Dero and Al Rey have had great opportunities and really have not looked like they have the finishing ability.

KidA
03-24-2014, 03:37 PM
For those looking for a stream of the game it looks as if the MLS Stream of the Week (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/24/mls-stream-week-vote-see-your-favorite-match-week-4) may actually be the RSL vs TFC match. Everyone can vote for it and it is currently leading with 41% of the votes.

Abou Sky
03-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Is Saborio suspended for sure?

If so, I think we can do pretty well.

I am watching the RSL vs. LAG game and the poor quality of the pitch may be of benefit to us as I am watching the ball bounce which makes passes poor.

With RN playing counter attack, it should give us more than a couple of good shots at taking away the ball in their defensive third and putting it in the back of the net.

I wish nothing but the best for the young Joao Plata and I would kind of feel like crap if Bradley broke him by bowling over him, but it was not us so let's hope for his quick recovery after we face RSL :D

PopePouri
03-24-2014, 03:44 PM
---------Defoe-------Gilberto------
-------DeRo-------------Rey------
--------Bradley-----Osorio--------
-Morrow--Henry--Caldwell--Bloom-
-------------Cesar---------------

RSL will play a narrow diamond and we play a narrow 4-4-2 so it's going to be a battle in the middle of the park with no space. Once expects Oso and Bradley to come on top though.

tfcleeds
03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
For those looking for a stream of the game it looks as if the MLS Stream of the Week (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/24/mls-stream-week-vote-see-your-favorite-match-week-4) may actually be the RSL vs TFC match. Everyone can vote for it and it is currently leading with 41% of the votes. I didn't vote for it as I'll be watching it on TV, but good news for people who rely on streams I guess.

Initial B
03-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking the altitude will be a problem, as will be a poor pitch. I think fatigue will set in early so Nelsen will probably go with a game plan that minimizes movement and conserves strength for the first half before trying to come out flying in the second half. Conversely, if Plata is out, Saborio might have some trouble clicking with another player. If our defence holds up, we might be able to prevent them from scoring. I'm not sure if we'll be able to score, but I could see this game ending 1-0 TFC or 0-0. We lose if the backline makes a mistake.

ag futbol
03-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Losing Plata and Saborio works well for us, but they are still capable. Garcia made us look foolish last year and Findley is capable of the odd good game, Sandoval can be real pest as well.

tfctillidie
03-24-2014, 11:35 PM
yeah DeRo should replace Jackson....though i applaud Jacksons efforts but when he has the ball he doesnt seem to know what to do with it...a little bit wild

Auzzy
03-24-2014, 11:43 PM
For those looking for a stream of the game it looks as if the MLS Stream of the Week (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/24/mls-stream-week-vote-see-your-favorite-match-week-4) may actually be the RSL vs TFC match. Everyone can vote for it and it is currently leading with 41% of the votes.

Crap, Seattle - Colorado now on top with 41%.

​BUMP!

JuliquE
03-25-2014, 04:52 AM
yeah DeRo should replace Jackson....though i applaud Jacksons efforts but when he has the ball he doesnt seem to know what to do with it...a little bit wild
Whabung?! Jackson was supplier of many chances, against DC. Not to single you out, mind; seems that most have selective memory, in the case of Jackson's contributions.

Graeme
03-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I think if he is not suspended, Jackson will start again. In the game in 6, several of the opportunities involve him somehow.

daner90
03-25-2014, 07:38 AM
Damn TSN2!! Gonna have to watch from the computer!

Canary10
03-25-2014, 08:35 AM

DeRo was so many steps off the pace on Saturday, I actually felt sorry for him.

brad
03-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Same here. When he was through on goal, I thought he was going in slow motion. I like the guy - he is one of my all time favorites, but based on what I have seen so far, I am really wondering how much of a factor he is going to be this. He looks like a shadow of his former self.

Ageroo
03-25-2014, 09:08 AM

I agree he looks a tad slow...but he has never been that pacey in my mind......but I think Saturday the pitch had more to do with it than him looking like he was moving in slow motion. I think he knows his role and coming in when he did I think will suffice as far as I can see. If Jackson is suspended and Isssey is signed by then I would love to see him on the wing.

Yohan
03-25-2014, 09:14 AM
I agree he looks a tad slow...but he has never been that pacey in my mind......but I think Saturday the pitch had more to do with it than him looking like he was moving in slow motion. I think he knows his role and coming in when he did I think will suffice as far as I can see. If Jackson is suspended and Isssey is signed by then I would love to see him on the wing.
no you don't. DeRo will get ripped apart defensively. and with his limited stamina, he's not going to last 90 mins either

Canary10
03-25-2014, 09:42 AM

I don't know. I don't think it was the pitch - everyone else was at a different speed. He had the look of an older guy that had an injury recently. I say that as an older guy that had an injury recently so I know how it feels.

Not sure how Jackson became this year's Convey already. The big difference in this TFC team for me over others including last year is that we can play and win hard nosed football, with a bit of skill to go with it. That's going to win more games in the long run than having pure skilled guys. Bradley is a good footballer for sure, but he's also a hard man. Jackson never shied out of a tackle in that DC game. He got crunched once going in too because of it. He's a hard man. Henry and Caldwell the same. These guys have steel, and that's what is going to win for us. So don't underestimate Jackson.

Ageroo
03-25-2014, 09:49 AM
no you don't. DeRo will get ripped apart defensively. and with his limited stamina, he's not going to last 90 mins either

Issey the start....not DeRO I said....come on Yohan...........read ;)

Abou Sky
03-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Losing Plata and Saborio works well for us, but they are still capable. Garcia made us look foolish last year and Findley is capable of the odd good game, Sandoval can be real pest as well.

Now that you mention Findley, he is one of the fastest players in the league. Will be good to have Jackson on the field with him.

I don't think much of Jackson offensively, but defensively he is pretty good and because of the way the team is built, all he needs is to strip the ball and then pass it... grrr...

He just has to fucking PASS THE BALL, I felt like I was screaming at 8 year olds with him, you have two open players, you have two DC defenders on you, you have to be fucking stupid to think that you can do better with the ball at your feet than you can by passing it...

Ageroo
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
I don't know. I don't think it was the pitch - everyone else was at a different speed. He had the look of an older guy that had an injury recently. I say that as an older guy that had an injury recently so I know how it feels.

Not sure how Jackson became this year's Convey already. The big difference in this TFC team for me over others including last year is that we can play and win hard nosed football, with a bit of skill to go with it. That's going to win more games in the long run than having pure skilled guys. Bradley is a good footballer for sure, but he's also a hard man. Jackson never shied out of a tackle in that DC game. He got crunched once going in too because of it. He's a hard man. Henry and Caldwell the same. These guys have steel, and that's what is going to win for us. So don't underestimate Jackson.

Not under estimating him at all....and I know you are not singling me out....just saying. I like what Jackson provides and think he will get better as season progresses.

Ultra & Proud
03-25-2014, 09:51 AM

This exactly. We have no other player that can athletically and physically defend the wing as well as Jackson. Against RSL we will need to be as tight defensively as we were the past two matches. Plus, as I said before, anyone who has seen Jackson play a bit the past few years with Dallas will know that he is better with the ball than he has shown so far. Whether that's rust or playing on dodgy pitches, he is a better player going forward than he's shown so far.

Defoe
03-25-2014, 09:54 AM

Jackson would be a good guy to have of the bench even long term... fast, strong defensive player, positionaly sound... great player to protect a lead with. However going forward I as well am concerned with his ability to start games. When he gets the ball its like his brain freezes. Osorio was ok, Rey has the ball on a string and I like him as a starter, I've been impressed with him.

Canary10
03-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Not under estimating him at all....and I know you are not singling me out....just saying. I like what Jackson provides and think he will get better as season progresses.

Yeah, that was meant as a general comment.

ag futbol
03-25-2014, 10:03 AM
I'd just say that people underestimate the importantence of having strong defenders to supporting an attack. The reason we can float our forwards up so high or that Rey can continually make those deep runs is because we have players covering.

shwade
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I'd just say that people underestimate the importantence of having strong defenders to supporting an attack. The reason we can float our forwards up so high or that Rey can continually make those deep runs is because we have players covering.

This is true..but as a winger going forward so far he's been lacking.

Fort York Redcoat
03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Leafs in Detroit at 7 on CBC
March Madness on TSN all day

That's pretty much our competition at Joe's Sat night

I'll start a viewing thread for numbers, Parky.

Yohan
03-25-2014, 10:16 AM
Jackson wouldn't have been available for trade then ;)

LFC8
03-25-2014, 10:30 AM
The people praising Rey and knocking Jackson must not be paying attention to the defensive side of the game.
It's pretty simple: Jackson is great defensively but weak offensively while Rey is great offensively but weak defensively. It's good balance to have 2 players like that so i'd start both next game.

pdogg
03-25-2014, 10:35 AM
The people praising Rey and knocking Jackson must not be paying attention to the defensive side of the game.
It's pretty simple: Jackson is great defensively but weak offensively while Rey is great offensively but weak defensively. It's good balance to have 2 players like that so i'd start both next game.

And maybe I'm giving the coach to much credit, but Nelson has shown that he will switch the wingers when necessary, pairing them up properly with the opposition or to take advantage of a weakness.

Fort York Redcoat
03-25-2014, 10:36 AM

It's alright, mate. This early in the year you're going to see amped up opinions. There's a fine line this early in the season between nit-picking and analysis from a small pool of data.

ag futbol
03-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Can't deny that, but he's also shut down and frustrated some of the other teams best attackers which is being overlooked.

I would say its obvious what we are asking our wingers to do and what his skill set is, if anything he has been miscast but is also a product of MLS's limitations. With all the money spent elsewhere, good luck finding a wide player who can go two way for this league.

To me, you still need his defensive intensity on the field for TFC but it's obvious his ability going forward provides little. The solution is tweaking the formation to focus him more on the defensive side, while leaving Rey to go forward.

ManUtd4ever
03-25-2014, 10:41 AM
I think Jackson is an ideal winger for the tactical approach that Nelsen utilizes.

Toronto Funk
03-25-2014, 10:52 AM
The one thing that stood out about Jackson was his blistering speed. Whether it was chasing down through balls pushed a little too far ahead or running down defenders, he is fast. Having watched past highlights, I can only hope that he gets his offensive prowess back soon, it's in him. In the meantime, the fact that we have another midfield destroyer (bow my head in reverence to Bradley) and we are markedly better as a team than last year - I have faith. And don't forget, you can't teach speed!

As a Dero fan, I would love for him to do well, but I also felt that he had lost a step on his breakaway. I was standing in 115 looking right at him on his breakaway and he didn't look like the old Dero - hopefully it was just the pitch. I am comfortable with Jackson in this role for all of the defensive help he gives and offensive potential, as opposed to moving Dero back there.

Just my 3 cents.

OgtheDim
03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) now (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/448501915744088064) Nelsen says MLS is looking into Jackson foul. Expects to hear their decision in coming days. Also expects a suspension of some sorts. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

LFC8
03-25-2014, 12:10 PM
If Jackson's out it would be interesting to see who Nelsen replaces him with. DeRo, Issey? Or maybe even Orr (switching sides with Rey)

LFC8
03-25-2014, 12:13 PM
And maybe I'm giving the coach to much credit, but Nelson has shown that he will switch the wingers when necessary, pairing them up properly with the opposition or to take advantage of a weakness.

Yeah, i've actually been impressed with Nelsen's tactics (i've never really been fond of the 4-4-2), but he's managing it very well. Although, the talent he has to work with doesn't hurt:)

notthesun
03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) now (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/448501915744088064) Nelsen says MLS is looking into Jackson foul. Expects to hear their decision in coming days. Also expects a suspension of some sorts. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Hoping for one game at this point.

Yohan
03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Hoping for one game at this point.
violent conduct is automatic 2 games (IE what Dempsey got)

notthesun
03-25-2014, 01:39 PM
violent conduct is automatic 2 games (IE what Dempsey got)

Could appeal that to 1, no? Dempsey's appeal was unsuccessful. Not that I think Jackson's would necessarily be any different.

pdubs
03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider (https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider) 1m (https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/448555300644466688) Getting word that, pending possible appeal, Toronto FC's Jackson has been suspended 1 game by #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash) for elbowing D.C.'s Davy Arnaud

Ultra & Proud
03-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Hopfully INF is signed by then. Not sold on DeRo out there.

MartinUtd
03-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Not worried about the Jackson suspension if it happens. We have Issey and Rey for offensive wingers and Orr and Morgan as suitable defensive wingers (even though they're normally fullbacks).

brad
03-25-2014, 03:52 PM
If Jackson's out it would be interesting to see who Nelsen replaces him with. DeRo, Issey? Or maybe even Orr (switching sides with Rey)

I'll bet Orr. I think/guess Nelsen likes to have a attacking & defensive options out there on the wings

ag futbol
03-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Hopfully INF is signed by then. Not sold on DeRo out there.
Earl Cochrane must be on special contract, handling the paper work for this one.

OgtheDim
03-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Steven Goff ‏@SoccerInsider (https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider) 1m (https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/448555300644466688) Getting word that, pending possible appeal, Toronto FC's Jackson has been suspended 1 game by #MLS (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MLS&src=hash) for elbowing D.C.'s Davy Arnaud

Seattle Sounder supporters whining all over the place in 3...2....1..

Graeme
03-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Perhaps they are taking the yellow card into account? Watching the replay, it is pretty clear that Arnaud violently hits Jackson from behind first, then embellishes the elbow, right in front of the ref.

Hamilton_Red
03-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Looking forward to the Bradley vs Beckerman battle.. Beckerman has been one of the leagues most consistent midfielders IMO. A big part of RSL's consistent competitiveness. We'll really know if this going to be the year if we get a good result on Saturday.

Shakes McQueen
03-25-2014, 10:42 PM
RSL fans on BigSoccer don't sound particularly confident about their chances, with the injuries they have. They sound a lot like us actually - hoping for the best, satisfied with a point, etc.

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2014, 10:44 PM
It will be a treat to watch two World Cup teammates battle each other on the pitch. On Saturday they will be opponents and just a few days later in Phoenix be teammates once again when the US takes on Mexico Wednesday night.

tfctillidie
03-25-2014, 11:52 PM
Whabung?! Jackson was supplier of many chances, against DC. Not to single you out, mind; seems that most have selective memory, in the case of Jackson's contributions.

no worries its just one of those friendly debates of who should be playing...its a normal thing for supporters to do...i didnt have a selective memory...i even said i applaud Jacksons efforts coz he was indeed involved in most of the plays where we almost scored. There are times where he has brain farts when he has the ball though lol...but then again its still early in the season so i will reserve my judgement on his play.

Red CB Toronto
03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Jackson will most likely be out for Saturday night.

JuliquE
03-26-2014, 02:55 AM
no worries its just one of those friendly debates of who should be playing...its a normal thing for supporters to do...i didnt have a selective memory...i even said i applaud Jacksons efforts coz he was indeed involved in most of the plays where we almost scored. There are times where he has brain farts when he has the ball though lol...but then again its still early in the season so i will reserve my judgement on his play.
100% Agreed. I think he'll come along, given time to settle into the side, and there are already flashes alluding as much.

pdubs
03-26-2014, 09:14 AM
guys we are fucked

Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman) 3m (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/448823510161707008) Baldomero Toledo will referee Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake on Saturday. Kevin Stott takes charge of Whitecaps Houston http://refs.pro/t4UoBr (http://t.co/EjuTgUBtwJ)

I hope the General runs him over

Detroit_TFC
03-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Yellow Cards For Everyone!

pdogg
03-26-2014, 09:53 AM
So no Osorio?

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/03/nelsen-bemoans-reds-early-schedule

Nelsen heads into the encounter with a full squad sans Jonathan Osorio, who had a light training session, hampered by tightness in his hamstring due to training and playing on rough surfaces. But the midfielder expects that issue to sort itself out in the coming days.

LFC8
03-26-2014, 10:14 AM
^I think the'yre just saying he is the only one that's not fully healthy as of today and should recover in time for saturday. He and Gilberto will probably be the ones that get subbed.

barticusz
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Anyone else miss the Replacement referee's? I mean it's only been one game but the PRO refs are so terrible, they slow the game down so much and rarely make a correct call.

trane
03-26-2014, 11:28 AM
For me this is the match, usually I would want to see 5-10 matches to say this team is the real deal, but if we meet the top team in the league last year, and WIN, I will be convinced that this is the real deal, not just because of the results but because of what I am seeing on the field.

Oldtimer
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
For me this is the match, usually I would want to see 5-10 matches to say this team is the real deal, but if we meet the top team in the league last year, and WIN, I will be convinced that this is the real deal, not just because of the results but because of what I am seeing on the field.

If TFC loses though, they could still be the real deal, just not yet jelled. If TFC wins, it will be very impressive. You don't win at Rio Tinto, any more than you win at CenturyLink Field. A tie would be good enough for me to say that the team is on the right track, though.

notthesun
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
guys we are fucked

Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman) 3m (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/448823510161707008) Baldomero Toledo will referee Toronto FC at Real Salt Lake on Saturday. Kevin Stott takes charge of Whitecaps Houston http://refs.pro/t4UoBr (http://t.co/EjuTgUBtwJ)

I hope the General runs him over

Probably a blessing in disguise that Jackson won't be available for this one.

Derko
03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
I will be at work on Saturday night and we don't have TSN2. so if anyone knows of a live stream please post.

:drinking:

Ultra & Proud
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
If TFC loses though, they could still be the real deal, just not yet jelled. If TFC wins, it will be very impressive. You don't win at Rio Tinto, any more than you win at CenturyLink Field. A tie would be good enough for me to say that the team is on the right track, though.

Same here. I expect much of the same tactically as the first two matches.

Question is, whether this is a brilliant plan by Nelsen to defend hard and keep shape while hitting on the counter while the team gels and then implement whatever system we really plan on using once everyone is familiar or this is just it. I guess time will tell.

Oldtimer
03-26-2014, 12:23 PM
guys we are fucked

Baldomero Toledo will referee Toronto FC

aarrrggghhh! He also seems to have it in for TFC, too.

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/image_nodes/2013/05/BendikReferee.jpg

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/DeGuzman110_060510.jpg

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/thumb/787452760.jpg?1372973880

For those unfamiliar with being "Toledo'd" here is a good article:

By the way, in an admittedly small sample, Toledo was named the league’s worst referee in a Sports Illustrated preseason survey (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130227/mls-preview-player-survey/) of MLS players.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/dear-major-league-soccer-we-need-to-talk-about-referee-baldomero-toledo-again/
(http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/dear-major-league-soccer-we-need-to-talk-about-referee-baldomero-toledo-again/)
(http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/dear-major-league-soccer-we-need-to-talk-about-referee-baldomero-toledo-again/)

GuelphStorm2007
03-26-2014, 01:08 PM
I agree with you Trane. This team is still a work in Progress And I need to see a couple of more Matches to actually evaluate this team But we are definitely on the right track

Thomas
03-26-2014, 02:49 PM
At the same time, if we don't win the game, it doesn't mean that we aren't on the right track and maybe not that far from the 'real deal'. It is inevitable that we will lose some games, particularly away matches against tough opponents.

Initial B
03-26-2014, 03:48 PM
If we beat RSL on their home turf, we should be undisputed #1 in the power rankings next week.

I'm starting to think it's possible. I haven't seen any other team play such a press in the midfield as TFC does. The General gives the ball carrier absolutely no room to breathe. He's going to singlehandedly force the remaining teams to play up to his level if they want to compete. If they can't contain Bradley, TFC wins.

notthesun
03-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Jackson is officially suspended for this game (and this game only), and it looks like Saborio has escaped suspension, so we'll have to deal with him.

adam1001
03-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Jackson is officially suspended for this game (and this game only), and it looks like Saborio has escaped suspension, so we'll have to deal with him.

Does anyone know if the INF deal will get done before the game?

Yohan
03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/26/mls-disciplinary-suspends-toronto-fcs-jackson-portland-timbers-donovan-ricke

Jackson suspended 1 game, plus fine

Ivy
03-26-2014, 05:15 PM
Saborio didn't get suspended?? Interesting decision.

notthesun
03-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know if the INF deal will get done before the game?

I don't think anyone but the people involved know what's going on there. Complete mystery, sounded like it was going to get done a week and a half ago.

OgtheDim
03-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Saborio didn't get suspended?? Interesting decision.

He might be appealing.

Ivy
03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
He might be appealing.
Who will? LA? Can't see it.

BuSaPuNk
03-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Who will? LA? Can't see it.

RSL probably appealing but appeals usually take not that long so I would expect to know by Friday if the appeal was done and the ruling of the appeal.

He has to get atleast one game for that challenge. It was dirty, late, and dangerous.

Ivy
03-26-2014, 08:01 PM
RSL probably appealing but appeals usually take not that long so I would expect to know by Friday if the appeal was done and the ruling of the appeal.

He has to get atleast one game for that challenge. It was dirty, late, and dangerous.

RSL appealing him not getting a suspension? You're for sure thinking LA is appealing.

BuSaPuNk
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
There could be no word of a suspension yet because RSL is appealing.

PopePouri
03-26-2014, 09:02 PM
There could be no word of a suspension yet because RSL is appealing.

The reason: "We have no fucking forwards!".

Hamilton_Red
03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Good article on the Beckerman Bradley match-up. It'll be interesting to watch. Personally I think the main reason for low possession and pooor pas completion is more related to the cow patch we played on against Washington. I wouldn't panic yet.

m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/26/who-better-player-kyle-beckerman-or-michael-bradley-what-do-numbers-say?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

steve

PopePouri
03-27-2014, 12:36 AM
It's not even worth discussing. He's better than Beckerman in every single way. He's more physical, a better passer, tackler and has a better workrate.

OgtheDim
03-27-2014, 06:14 AM
RSL appealing him not getting a suspension? You're for sure thinking LA is appealing.

My understanding is teams are not allowed to appeal for a suspension.

Pookie
03-27-2014, 06:15 AM
It is interesting how times have changed just by the pre game chatter.

In the past, if TFC won it would have been chalked up to luck. A loss? A sign of 31 more to come.

Now?

A win? 34-0-0 baby. Number 1 MLS power. A loss? Don't worry, they haven't gelled yet.

The truth is in the middle of those two extremes but it sure is refreshing to have the more optimistic of the two.

trane
03-27-2014, 08:01 AM
We play counter attacking football, possession is not all that important. It is results, and chances. A good counterattacking team should be able to create chances out of the counter, as long as we are doing this we are good.

tfcleeds
03-27-2014, 08:22 AM
It is interesting how times have changed just by the pre game chatter. In the past, if TFC won it would have been chalked up to luck. A loss? A sign of 31 more to come. Now? A win? 34-0-0 baby. Number 1 MLS power. A loss? Don't worry, they haven't gelled yet. The truth is in the middle of those two extremes but it sure is refreshing to have the more optimistic of the two. Even entertaining the idea of going into Rio Tinto and taking 3 points shows you just how much the mindset has changed from seasons past.

Technorgasm
03-27-2014, 08:32 AM
beware..
CARTSerman!

http://s22.postimg.org/54w0xytgh/beckerman_carts.jpg

Graeme
03-27-2014, 10:50 AM
Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
Rey---Osorio---Bradley---Farran

I think this is the line-up too, esp. if Farran is really signed today.

What's the bench?
Bendick, Weeds, DeRo, Bloom and then two of: Bekker, Hall, Morgan?

RoyalRed
03-27-2014, 10:55 AM
If they play like they did in Seattle, they can win. At this particular point in time this isn't the powerhouse RSL everyone is used to seeing, and we're riding high on the hog from the first two wins of the season. They should play for a victory, but a draw would also be a fine result.

Oh and on Beckerman vs Bradley, that's not even a discussion and anyone inviting the comparison can't possibly be taken seriously.

ExiledRed
03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
It is interesting how times have changed just by the pre game chatter.

In the past, if TFC won it would have been chalked up to luck. A loss? A sign of 31 more to come.

Now?

A win? 34-0-0 baby. Number 1 MLS power. A loss? Don't worry, they haven't gelled yet.

The truth is in the middle of those two extremes but it sure is refreshing to have the more optimistic of the two.

On the subject of selective memory.

Under Winter when we lost it was 'evidence that total football just like ajax, would take time to implement, but the signs of improvement are there!'
when we won it was 'Winter is a genius'

Obviously, these are the same people talking 34-0-0 right now.

In truth when Winter won a game, it was because the players ignored him and the loud fool assisting him. When he lost, it was because he enforced his alleged 'system.' and punished creative players who did not adhere to it.

Im pretty sure those of us who recognized this are still apprehensive going into this season, we dont have a selective memory and we're not going to forget the last 7 seasons of below mediocre football.

In my own opinion, we have done all the right things and i have no complaints with management or ownership over this seasons start. Its all up to the players now, which is how it should be. Things are definitely positive, but if we keep playing the hoof it to defoe on the counter strategy, we will get found out.

MartinUtd
03-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't think anyone is being serious when they're taking about 34-0-0 nor is it obvious that such people were the ones getting all manic-depressive during the Aaron Winter era.

Shway
03-27-2014, 12:55 PM
I think this is the line-up too, esp. if Farran is really signed today.

What's the bench?
Bendick, Weeds, DeRo, Bloom and then two of: Bekker, Hall, Morgan?

I would say the other two is Morgan and Hall (if healthy)

ExiledRed
03-27-2014, 01:06 PM
I don't think anyone is being serious when they're taking about 34-0-0 nor is it obvious that such people were the ones getting all manic-depressive during the Aaron Winter era.

yeah....not quite what i said :)

MartinUtd
03-27-2014, 01:13 PM
yeah....not quite what i said :)

No offense, but what are you saying in the first half of that post?

ExiledRed
03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
No offense, but what are you saying in the first half of that post?

Im saying the opposite to how you took it. Im saying the people who were being unrealistic then are probably the ones who are being unrealistic now.

The manic depressive camp as you call it, was where I was, and my current position is that we have finally made a real investment in the team and it looks like it could well pay off. If we win at RSL, which i always write off as a loss due to altitude, I'll be almost ready to go back to my ridiculous year one optimism......almost. But we dont look like a 34-0-0 team just yet.

Detroit_TFC
03-27-2014, 01:52 PM
The trajectory is good (no, great) right now, but it won't take much to nudge that. We are massively reliant on maintaining a healthy starting XI (IMO more than others) and that can only be done for so long. These early season points are gold because they will be harder to come by soon.

Ultra & Proud
03-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Bloom---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
Orr---Osorio---Bradley---Rey

ensco
03-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Im saying the opposite to how you took it. Im saying the people who were being unrealistic then are probably the ones who are being unrealistic now.

The manic depressive camp as you call it, was where I was, and my current position is that we have finally made a real investment in the team and it looks like it could well pay off. If we win at RSL, which i always write off as a loss due to altitude, I'll be almost ready to go back to my ridiculous year one optimism......almost. But we dont look like a 34-0-0 team just yet.

Great to see you back!

I'm not convinced we're a playoff club yet. Need to see more guys like Osorio and Henry take it to the next level. It's a long season.

Yohan
03-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Expect pitch to be crap also at Rio Tinto

Joe Kool
03-27-2014, 03:37 PM
I was looking for the overall head to head results of RSL vs Toronto over the years but I have no idea where to look. Tried to Google it. Anyone have any idea where that kind of stat is tucked away?

ExiledRed
03-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Great to see you back!

I'm not convinced we're a playoff club yet. Need to see more guys like Osorio and Henry take it to the next level. It's a long season.

If were not a playoff squad this year, we will never be.

I think with the kind of guidance and leadership offered by the strongest players on this squad, we will see massive improvements in our weaker players, and the next level should be within sight for all of them.

In the past we've seen lazy DPs like Mista, exposed by their inability to play well amongst average players. They did nothing to improve the squad and instead bemoaned the lack of quality around them, blaming that for their own lacklustre performances.

Bradley, Defoe, DeRo and Caesar are an incredible spine for an MLS team and the average players now have a wealth of experience to draw from. I cannot see how the average players wont improve. Those that dont will be exposed as dead enders as the season continues, and that will be fine because something tells me that TFC is now a lot more desirable a club for stronger MLS squad players than at any time in the past. Soon we may even see healthy competition for the first team spots.

I am dreaming but maybe this time we actually have a team that is competitive in this league, and as fans, we no longer need to be divided by the folly of FO. Maybe this time we have a team we can all get behind and the need for intense vitriolic disagreements about who or what is responsible for our poor form, is a thing of the past.

We will see what happens when we drop some points.

ryan
03-27-2014, 03:42 PM

Expect RSL to blame it when we beat them. :hump:

ag futbol
03-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Jesus christ it's going to be July before we get to see this team on a normal field?!?

Super
03-27-2014, 03:58 PM

I think with the kind of guidance and leadership offered by the strongest players on this squad, we will see massive improvements in our weaker players, and the next level should be within sight for all of them.

In the past we've seen lazy DPs like Mista, exposed by their inability to play well amongst average players. They did nothing to improve the squad and instead bemoaned the lack of quality around them, blaming that for their own lacklustre performances.

Bradley, Defoe, DeRo and Caesar are an incredible spine for an MLS team and the average players now have a wealth of experience to draw from. I cannot see how the average players wont improve. Those that dont will be exposed as dead enders as the season continues, and that will be fine because something tells me that TFC is now a lot more desirable a club for stronger MLS squad players than at any time in the past. Soon we may even see healthy competition for the first team spots.

I am dreaming but maybe this time we actually have a team that is competitive in this league, and as fans, we no longer need to be divided by the folly of FO. Maybe this time we have a team we can all get behind and the need for intense vitriolic disagreements about who or what is responsible for our poor form, is a thing of the past.

Excellent post. We have several players on this team who so clearly lifts that bar to a whole new level. I think you're absolutely right that anyone looking to put in a mediocre effort will stand out immediately, and will be moved quickly to the bench. We have leaders all over this pitch now. They don't make excuses. They lead. That's something we've never really had before - or at least not enough to where it made much of a difference.

Joe Kool
03-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Jesus christ it's going to be July before we get to see this team on a normal field?!?

I say May....time to start a new poll :)

LFC8
03-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Great to see you back!

Barring some major injuries, this team will make the playoffs. I'm sure of it:)

Lennon
03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I was looking for the overall head to head results of RSL vs Toronto over the years but I have no idea where to look. Tried to Google it. Anyone have any idea where that kind of stat is tucked away?

http://www.futbol24.com/teamCompare/United-States/Real-Salt-Lake/vs/United-States/Toronto-FC/

Richard
03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
We have very motivated players in Defoe, Bradley, Cesar, Dero. That right there is a ton of leadership, you betcha no one on this team wants to be seen as a slacker. I think we have ourselves barring any injuries a very solid team.

brad
03-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Going to be a tough game - RSL are good and the altitude gives them a serious advantage. A draw would be a good result.

AdamAM
03-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Everyone saying that we can't beat RSL @ Rio Tinto.... 5 words for you... Why. Can't. We. Be. Great.

This isn't the RSL of years past, the brilliant Jason Kreis is gone, Joao Plata aka one of their best players thus far is gone, and the team just doesn't look as dominant as they always have. Throw in the shitty pitch and their possession game will suffer greatly. Now look at the players: Defoe vs Saborio, Bradley vs Beckerman, Osorio vs Morales, Caldwell vs Borchers, Cesar against Rimando..... we win every one of those matchups every time except for Oso vs Morales.... yes they may have good wingers in Grabavoy and Gil, but TFC has a much more talented and THREATENING spine. I can see the Reds coming into Rio Tinto and stealing 3 points, and I can't wait til Saturday! :scarf::drum::scarf:

Abou Sky
03-27-2014, 09:26 PM
How much of an advantage is altitude when talking about high performance athletes?

If it were such a huge advantage, wouldn't RSL always have an advantage due to the high altitude training? (I know that it is a thing)

Also, does anyone know anything about those high altitude simulation masks? Do they work? If so, are they employed in soccer training?

RealG-TFC
03-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Fuckit 2-0 TFC.

If Defoe is a pacier Keane then he will at least net a goal, just like Keane did last week. Also they're without Plata which is a big factor in their offensive game. Cesar shows his World Class abilities.

LFC8
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't think Farran takes Jackson's spot. I think it'll be Orr. He replaced Jackson last game and came on for Rey against Seattle. Plus his play is alot similar to Jackson's.

RealG-TFC
03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
How much of an advantage is altitude when talking about high performance athletes?

If it were such a huge advantage, wouldn't RSL always have an advantage due to the high altitude training? (I know that it is a thing)

Also, does anyone know anything about those high altitude simulation masks? Do they work? If so, are they employed in soccer training?

A quick Wiki check puts SLC at slight over have of Mexico City's elevation. Surely its managable.

SLC - 1 288m
Denver - 1 564 - 1 731m
Mexico City - 2 250 - 3 930m

boozilla
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
Also they're without Plata ... I do miss seeing him twirling around defenders twice his size. He made TFC's darkest days a little brighter.

Oldtimer
03-28-2014, 07:56 AM

From June 2009 until May 2011 (just shy of two years), RSL did not lose a single home game. Altitude wasn't all of it, but it certainly was a factor.

Red I
03-28-2014, 08:29 AM
A quick Wiki check puts SLC at slight over have of Mexico City's elevation. Surely its managable.

SLC - 1 288m
Denver - 1 564 - 1 731m
Mexico City - 2 250 - 3 930m

Technically, it's in Sandy, Utah; Elevation: 1,356 m

kodiakTFC
03-28-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't think Farran takes Jackson's spot. I think it'll be Orr. He replaced Jackson last game and came on for Rey against Seattle. Plus his play is alot similar to Jackson's.

Orr is a right back and Jackson has been playing midfield. Orr came on for Jackson to shore up the defense late in the game. I don't see us starting the game with a 5-3-2. I see DeRo starting in midfield with possibly Bekker replacing him later in the game.

KGH
03-28-2014, 08:57 AM
We're big underdogs according to Bet365. Toronto +450 Draw +260.

trane
03-28-2014, 09:10 AM
I have said it from week one. But from what I have seen in the past two games, I am even more convinced I expect us to win in the RSl. I think when you add the players we have added, and the teams organizations comes together, you have the best team in the MLS.

YES I SAID IT and I hope I got your mamma.

Initial B
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm not convinced that we will beat RSL but I believe we *can* beat RSL, which is much better than what I believed at this time last year. If they can beat RSL on their home turf, I might just start believing the hype.

ryan
03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
We're big underdogs according to Bet365. Toronto +450 Draw +260.

I cashed nicely on +410 against Seattle. Might as well give it another go. :hump:

Wonder what the "draw no bet" value is.

KGH
03-28-2014, 09:58 AM
I cashed nicely on +410 against Seattle. Might as well give it another go. :hump:

+250

Abou Sky
03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
I have said it from week one. But from what I have seen in the past two games, I am even more convinced I expect us to win in the RSl. I think when you add the players we have added, and the teams organizations comes together, you have the best team in the MLS.

YES I SAID IT and I hope I got your mamma.

I am pretty sure that is the final sign of the apocalypse, seeing as this has already happened:

http://media.kids-myshot.nationalgeographic.com/2011/07/4e2817a15ce35IMG_0970_large_medium.JPG

ag futbol
03-28-2014, 10:03 AM
We're not going 34-0 this season. This is a fixture I'd like to see us play well, even if we don't take the points.

Some people's perceptions of our roster vs rest of league are interesting, to say the least...

TFC07
03-28-2014, 10:08 AM
I believe RSL are going to be missing couple of their starters so this will help TFC a bit. I haven't watched RSL for a while, but I assume they're one of best teams in the league.

LFC8
03-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Orr is a right back and Jackson has been playing midfield. Orr came on for Jackson to shore up the defense late in the game. I don't see us starting the game with a 5-3-2. I see DeRo starting in midfield with possibly Bekker replacing him later in the game.

Orr can play RM though. He is quite versatile. It would still be a 4-4-2.

KGH
03-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Draw no bet is a silly way to bet though.

With the current odds:

100 on TFC to win (draw not bet) = a payout of $350

However:

70 on TFC to win = a payout of $385
+
30 on TFC to draw = a payout of $108

So in both scenarios you've bet $100. In the draw not bet you receive $350 (Net position in +$250) if TFC wins and get your $100 back if they draw (Net position $0). In scenario 2 if TFC wins you win $385 (Net position +$285). If there's a draw you get $108 (Net position +$8).

So in either case where there's a draw or a TFC win you actually come out ahead. If they lose you're out $100 either way.

Globetrotter
03-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Thank you Earth hour for accommodating us with your 830-930pm timeslot.

Carts
03-28-2014, 10:54 AM
We're not going 34-0 this season.

C'mon we know we're not going 34-0-0 this season - we're bound to draw a couple of games when guys are away for the World Cup...

So call it 31-0-3...

g:D

flatpicker
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
C'mon we know we're not going 34-0-0 this season - we're bound to draw a couple of games when guys are away for the World Cup...

So call it 31-0-3...

g:D

Seems about right.

Dreadlocks
03-28-2014, 11:17 AM
As much as I don't want to see this, Hall could get the start either out wide or centrally pushing Osario out wide.

notthesun
03-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Ruh roh. Osorio apparently left training favouring his hamstring today.

redisthenewblk
03-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Based on his twitter, it looks like Nigel Reed will be calling the game.

hulkrogan
03-28-2014, 11:43 AM
Technically, it's in Sandy, Utah; Elevation: 1,356 m

That amount of altitude should be a non-factor for these guys.

You never hear NHL teams complaining about altitude in Calgary, let alone Denver.

Carts
03-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Residents of Utah beware some changes in your area on Saturday...

Altitude doesn't have an effect on Michael Bradley... Michael Bradley has an effect on altitude!!!

http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SPNM04_MLS07-640x360.jpg

Ivy
03-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Damn. Oso out.

missing 2 starters is going to hurt.

Abou Sky
03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
Hall in for Oso? Not terribly stoked on the idea but of course, it could be much worse.

Ruffian
03-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Replacing Oso with Hall might allow Bradley to get forward more because Hall can be more of a defensive player than Osorio is.

redisthenewblk
03-28-2014, 12:38 PM
Hall in for Oso? Not terribly stoked on the idea but of course, it could be much worse.
Maybe Dero starts in the middle with Bradley and Hall subs in or vice versa? I just hope they leave Bekker at home or on the bench...

flatpicker
03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
shame. I've reaaly liked Osorio these last two games

OgtheDim
03-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 59m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/449585869867847680) Think Bloom moves to right mid. Orr starts at the back. Hall could come in for Osorio.

Speculation from Larson but that's intriguing. Hall had to play sometime I suppose. Time to find out if the bench can do the job.

Captain
03-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Hall's been injured. Is he even ready to play a full game?

Soccerpro
03-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Jeremy Hall? Brutal, just brutal. Hall should join Lambe on the waiver wire.

Ruffian
03-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Seems like Nakajima-Farran is officially signed
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/03/toronto-signs-nakajima-farran
will he be able to play Saturday?

Burning Red
03-28-2014, 01:39 PM
I would rather see Bekker in CM next to Bradely rather than Hall. We have done well so far with one two way player and one more offensive player. Bekker at least is more like Osorio in tbat he looks to create through passes. Hall hives me a heart attack every time he plays.

Ruffian
03-28-2014, 01:51 PM
I would not want both Issey and Bekker to start tomorrow because if TFC have a bad game they could take the blame and be moved below Bloom/Orr on the wing and Hall in the centre. I want the best players playing but I still have hope that the Canadians on the team can get a good chance to shine and not be thrown to the lions.

pdubs
03-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Ive been wondering if Morgan could get a look in a LM. Rather have Bloom/Orr/Issey at RM with Rey LM but curious if Morgan could move up. Idk won't happen, just a thought.

Edit- Id like to see Bekker over Hall. Want to see if he has developed defensively. You would hope he has been learning from Bradley, tho early days.

adam1001
03-28-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't think Osorio is out necessarily. Nelsen said it was precautionary and that they planned for Osorio to only take part in the start of training.

Ajax TFC
03-28-2014, 03:24 PM
I think Hall gets a lot more hate than he deserves. He was a terrible fullback, but as a CM, he holds his own IMO. Sure he makes the odd mistakes and gets caught out of position as a result, but I think due to his bad reputation that he got as a fullback, people pick on his every mistake. Whereas Bradley has made his share of mistakes resulting in being caught to far forwards, but no one mentions it because no one has any reason to not like him yet. My point? I think Hall can cover a lot of ground, break up play, and is a pretty decent passer of the ball. Overall he's a decent CM option.

As for Bekker, I think it would be good for him to play next to Bradley. It could potentially light a fire under his ass and make him realize that he has to work a lot harder if he wants to make it as a pro. Up until now, he hasn't ever been paired with someone that he would have to recognize as superior to him. I've always gotten the feeling from him that he thinks he's good enough. Playing next to Bradley could change his attitude.

Either way, come WC time we're going to have to start one of these two in midfield next to Osorio. When that time comes, the drop off in quality will be a lot less if they go in having played with Bradley, feeling confident than if that's the first time they play. Mentality is huge, and so if Bradley can spread some of that hard working and winning mentality to more than just the other ten starting XI players before he leaves for the WC, then that would be great.

Not that losing Oso doesn't suck, but we can't be crying about his replacements. Bekker and Hall were always going to get PT. Better they get it now with Bradley than not get it until they have to replace him

Fishnicker
03-28-2014, 04:50 PM
That's a good question. Even small (500m) increases in altitude degrade aerobic performance (Vo2 max). RSL is about a 1300m diff and TFC trains at around sea level. So a drop off, but not huge. Think 5-10 sec in a 5000m race. But this is soccer, not track so that decrease may be fairly meaningless in context. Maybe a little reduction in time to exhaustion, but you're still going to be able to sprint just as fast.

If you live and train at altitude, you'll adapt by creating more hemoglobin, which carries more oxygen. Awesome. However you'll have to train at a lower intensity than at sea level, and your muscle fiber recruitment will be lower. Overall, it's a wash and there won't be any significant difference between TFC and RSL players at altitude.

Altitude training tries to take advantage of the benefits, while trying to avoid the negatives by keeping it short(2 weeks). There is some conflicting evidence for this. Coaches swear by it though (anecdotal)

Live High/Train Low attempts to reap the benefits of both. Sleep at simulated altitude to generate more hemoglobin, train at sea level to work at higher intensities. Results are inconclusive. There seem to be responders and non-responders when it comes to altitude training.

Oxygen masks and other limiting devices attempt to simulate high altitude, but there is ample evidence that they don't work. This has led to research into air pressure as a possible mechanism.

Long term high altitude training was a thing a few decades ago, but hasn't been taken seriously once the negatives were discovered. The one outlier is those born at altitude (and whose ancestors were born at altitude) seem to be mostly immune to the negative effects.

tl;dr - living and training at hi alt has good and bad effects - but they cancel each other out. If you were born at hi alt, congratulations, you are a Kenyan and will win many gold medals.

T-boy
03-28-2014, 05:03 PM
I think Hall gets a lot more hate than he deserves. He was a terrible fullback, but as a CM, he holds his own IMO. Sure he makes the odd mistakes and gets caught out of position as a result, but I think due to his bad reputation that he got as a fullback, people pick on his every mistake. Whereas Bradley has made his share of mistakes resulting in being caught to far forwards, but no one mentions it because no one has any reason to not like him yet. My point? I think Hall can cover a lot of ground, break up play, and is a pretty decent passer of the ball. Overall he's a decent CM option.

Totally agreed. I think some people are just remembering Hall under Mariner, when lets face it, ALL the team was hopeless! But when Hall moved into midfield last season he held his own very well. He's definitely a decent depth mid and I think he will be fine when he gets a call up to play as starter.

LFC8
03-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Damn. Oso out.

missing 2 starters is going to hurt.

Source?

19Barrett19
03-28-2014, 05:24 PM
For me I would like to see this as a staring line up for Sat

--------------------------------------Cesar-----------------------------------

Orr----------------------Caldwell----------------Henry-----------------Morrow

--------------------------Bradley----------------Osorio-----------------------
Rey-------------------------------------------------------------------Issay

-------------------------Gilberto--------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------Defoe-----------------------------------

Subs:
Bloom
Bekker
Dero
Weeds
Bendik
Agboss

Abou Sky
03-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Source?

There was a bit in the RN interview today, but he said it was just precautionary so fingers crossed!

Heart of Stone
03-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Defoe and Dero both gave good interviews. JD, especially, knows what he's doing in front of a microphone.

OgtheDim
03-28-2014, 10:01 PM
There was a bit in that interview where Nelsen was asked about midfield help and he looks like he just catches himself from talking about an injury to somebody.

I think Osorio's out for tomorrow.

Joe Kool
03-28-2014, 10:43 PM
None of the MLS Soccer "experts" picked Toronto to win again like they did with Seattle. Hopefully a good sign. Would be great to cause the upset again.

Prof
03-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Top NHL'ers play 20 minutes a game with lots of breaks. Footballers play 90+ minutes. Big difference.

dutch
03-29-2014, 12:10 AM
Lookin forward to the game, I checked out the RSL forum. Its very different and hilarious to read ie very american lol they talk about football like its nfl.
I never heard of "power ranking averages", but they dont seem to stop talkin about this. Didnt give it much thought after I found out it means.
"If two teams played tomorrow, given their current injury concerns, form, and other considerations, who is likely to win on a neutral field? This list is designed to tell you who we feel is most likely to win that matchup. All things being equal, who is the best team going forward, based on what we know now?"

-Richard Farley, NBC Sports ProSoccerTalk. 3/11/14
http://www.rslsoapbox.com/fanposts/recent

Comparing beckerman to bradley, they got a thousand arrows on a field diagram. they talk about it like theyre breaking it down play by play lol http://www.rslsoapbox.com/stats-analysis/2014/3/27/5555438/beckerman-v-bradley-2014-difficult-separate-statistics?utm_source=rslsoapbox&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom
I hope we embarass them so they can break it down for me before we play our next game!!

Maybe they need a glowing soccer ball......

tfctillidie
03-29-2014, 02:51 AM
None of the MLS Soccer "experts" picked Toronto to win again like they did with Seattle. Hopefully a good sign. Would be great to cause the upset again.
Yeah i saw that too...a couple predicted a Draw unlike the all Seattle shutout prediction week2.

Cas87
03-29-2014, 08:21 AM
Fair to say we are in the onyx again?

looked good last week, very intimidating

bimmer
03-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Ive been wondering if Morgan could get a look in a LM. Rather have Bloom/Orr/Issey at RM with Rey LM but curious if Morgan could move up. Idk won't happen, just a thought.

Morgan at LM would be a disaster imo, unless he has improved tremendously from last season. He can't hold possession, his passing is subpar, can't beat his man on the dribble and makes poor crosses. I suppose he might work as a late sub if we're up by a goal or two and need a energy guy to chase and close down.

Kayaker
03-29-2014, 09:44 AM
Good Morning everyone from partially sunny Utah! It is currently 12C with a game day tempurature forcast for 18C. I have 4 goals today: get to Rio Tinto, talk to some RSL fans, cheer on our Reds and see if I can find the gate they leave by after the game!

ensco
03-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Post of the week.

My comment is, the one thing we know about MLS is that, in terms of correlation to making the playoffs, it's based on the caliber of your depth, say you 13th, 14th and 15th best players, much more than it is your top three players. Historically anyways.

We are of course seriously testing this because, based on dollars spent on early returns, our top 3 may best the best top 3 in the league (repeat may, let's give it 15 games) ... but our numbers 13-15 (let's call it 3 of Hall, Wiedeman, Richter, Morgan, for arguments sake) are far weaker than the numbers 13-15 in RSL (say 3 of Mansally, Mulholland, Sandoval, Findley).

redisthenewblk
03-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Looks like the TFC staff projected starting XI puts DeRo on the wing with Oso still in the middle, and Bloom starting again. Not sure what to make of that exactly. I know it's not official, but maybe Oso is good to go for tonight? Issey comes in as a sub when DeRo tires out? Maybe they're just trying to psych out RSL?

Petor
03-29-2014, 11:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj56qGqCQAARcUq.jpg:large

TFCwestcan
03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Looks like the TFC staff projected starting XI puts DeRo on the wing with Oso still in the middle, and Bloom starting again. Not sure what to make of that exactly. I know it's not official, but maybe Oso is good to go for tonight? Issey comes in as a sub when DeRo tires out? Maybe they're just trying to psycho out RSL?

Based upon what we have seen from Nelsen this season, gamesmanship is an important part of the pre-match propaganda.

mcolvy
03-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Alright gamday. Time for some tactics and it also might determine our lineup.

Bradley will be responsible for owning the top of the midfield triangle, but who is going to be responsible for making Beckerman work. Im thinking Gilberto drops down to cover him. This might mean DeRo doesn't have a place on the left wing, since he doesnt have a good defensive workrate and most likely our wings will be pinching in to clog up the middle defensively. The rumours about Bloom on the wing actually make a lot of sense when it comes to RSL.

Also they play a very narrow game, so best advice to our fullbacks would be to push right up the field whenever possible to pin back their FBs and give them no width. From there you clog the middle of the field. I really feel as we either will be sitting 4-5-1 most of the game and that Gilberto will only move up top when in possession Or even I kind of feel like our wings will be pushed in and our fullbacks up so it will be more of a 2-5-1-2. I would almost say that Osorio might be better of pressuring Beckerman. Every team drops a striker to mark Beckerman and its not that good of a plan, rather have a midfielder chipping away at him so he gets a yellow card early and calms down.

So I would be extremely surprised if it isnt barring Osorio injury in which case Hall will take his spot 110% (hall is good)
defoe-gilberto
rey-bradley-osorio-bloom
morrow-henry-caldwell-orr

One more thing. If TorontoFC.ca people cant figure out that Henry plays LCB and Caldwell at RCB and that that actually matters I am going to lose all my faith in these people. Henry adds so much value as a lefty.

redisthenewblk
03-29-2014, 11:39 AM
TFCwestcan, agreed. Nelsen is definitely kicking the gamesmanship up a couple of notches this season. I feel like we're finally starting to get a glimpse of his style as a coach. He was very subdued last year, but the time to bring it is now!

DOMIN8R
03-29-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't think DeRo will get the start. Prob will get the sub.

Correction: Redis....
Issey comes in as a sub when DeRo tires out? Makes sense.

jloome
03-29-2014, 12:53 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I think people do need to reign in the optimism a little. Ensco's probably got it right; we don't have a championship team's depth in this league, but we have three guys who are so dominant (maybe four, if you count Julio Cesar, and maybe five if you count Caldwell) it pretty much should guarantee we're competitive. That at the very least (along with making the playoffs) will kill off a lot of ill sentiment.

There will always be people -- particularly band-wagon type younger fans, who just jump on the Defoe hype -- who will be offended by even a single loss. I like to think that if things are going generally well -- i.e., we win or tie more often than lose -- people will keep the general tone of this season going and tell them otherwise, and support the team.

But we're going to lose games. It's how we lose that matters most; if we see fight and last-second competitiveness, people will have an easier time accepting the reality. I think under both Winter and Marriner, the players looked demoralized and we certainly built a weak squad to begin with. This is just the start of changing that; the draft picks next year and the new FO maybe are signs that if it's a work in process, it's a good one.

redisthenewblk
03-29-2014, 12:56 PM
I don't think DeRo will get the start. Prob will get the sub.

Correction: Redis.... Makes sense.

The suspense is killing me! According to Nelsen, maybe DeRo will get the start? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSn0Jk1pio

jloome
03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
The suspense is killing me! According to Nelsen, maybe DeRo will get the start? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSn0Jk1pio

I think we saw in preseason that we can get 60 decent minutes out of him. Bringing in INF or Orr (with Bloom moving up) for the last 30 probably makes sense.

Shakes McQueen
03-29-2014, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. I think people do need to reign in the optimism a little. Ensco's probably got it right; we don't have a championship team's depth in this league, but we have three guys who are so dominant (maybe four, if you count Julio Cesar, and maybe five if you count Caldwell) it pretty much should guarantee we're competitive. That at the very least (along with making the playoffs) will kill off a lot of ill sentiment.

There will always be people -- particularly band-wagon type younger fans, who just jump on the Defoe hype -- who will be offended by even a single loss. I like to think that if things are going generally well -- i.e., we win or tie more often than lose -- people will keep the general tone of this season going and tell them otherwise, and support the team.

But we're going to lose games. It's how we lose that matters most; if we see fight and last-second competitiveness, people will have an easier time accepting the reality. I think under both Winter and Marriner, the players looked demoralized and we certainly built a weak squad to begin with. This is just the start of changing that; the draft picks next year and the new FO maybe are signs that if it's a work in process, it's a good one.

Yep. When Ives ranked is #1 in his power rankings this week, I actually went into the comments to say I thought it was premature to be lavishing such praise upon our form. I'm already getting nauseated by all of the "elite team" talk on the official MLS site.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the playoffs from this group, but we are far from a "superteam", and still lack depth. And it will be interesting in a couple of months to see what people are saying about Toronto FC, when Cesar, Bradley and potentially Defoe are all out of the lineup.

- Scott

Cashcleaner
03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Conditions in Salt Lake City are gonna be overcast with possible light rain and a temperature of 16-17 degrees celcius around kick-off. Winds are going to be moderate and coming from the south, so it will be a bit of a warming breeze. Their weather over the past few days have been mild and dry, so again TFC is facing an opponent who's been training in better conditions.

A lot of people are saying this game may be the best indicator of TFC's capabilities thus far in the season, and I can agree with that. I think we're gonna get a point out of this match.

ManUtd4ever
03-29-2014, 03:21 PM
Yep. When Ives ranked is #1 in his power rankings this week, I actually went into the comments to say I thought it was premature to be lavishing such praise upon our form. I'm already getting nauseated by all of the "elite team" talk on the official MLS site.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the playoffs from this group, but we are far from a "superteam", and still lack depth. And it will be interesting in a couple of months to see what people are saying about Toronto FC, when Cesar, Bradley and potentially Defoe are all out of the lineup.

- Scott

Agreed.

Lumpy
03-29-2014, 04:56 PM
I think getting a win in Salt Lake tonight might be pretty difficult. They have only lost 3 times in their last 18 regular season home games. We have only played together as a team for a grand total of 2 regular season games. I hope we win but I won't be super disappointed if we lose considering these circumstances. A win in Salt Lake this early in the team's development on top of the earlier win in Seattle might suggest that this team is going to be a really good one.

brad
03-29-2014, 05:11 PM
Cesar could be a difference maker this evening. He is going to get tested tonight.

A Defoe hat trick before everyone runs out if gas in the 60th would help as well :-)

Kaz
03-29-2014, 06:08 PM
This game is all about what happens after minute 60.

I don't see Dero Starting.

It'll be Issey (if able) or one of Bloom/Orr (can't recall which one can play up there) And Dero will be on the bench as a 60 minute sub for Gilberto who won't be fully match fit and with the altitude will likely be out of gas around the 60-70 minute mark. Then you let Dero just run wild.

Otherwise you have two players that are going to be out of Gas in a big way at 60 minutes. removing the offence totally on a bad pitch.

molenshtain
03-29-2014, 06:31 PM
there's no way Orr plays at RM. He'd be about as effective as lambe, maybe less even. He has absolutely zero ability going forward but is pretty sold defensively. if anyone is going to play RM it'll be issey, or if Osorio is playing I suspect they'll put Hall in the middle and play Osorio out wide.

Mark TFC
03-29-2014, 06:44 PM
I would like to watch the match at Joe's tonight but I have no one to watch the match with and I feel like a loner for showing up alone haha! I was there with some "friends" for the home opener but I'm glad they're not making the outing this time around. Is it strange if I show up alone?

Yohan
03-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I would like to watch the match at Joe's tonight but I have no one to watch the match with and I feel like a loner for showing up alone haha! I was there with some "friends" for the home opener but I'm glad they're not making the outing this time around. Is it strange if I show up alone?
nope

Ivy
03-29-2014, 06:56 PM
Nope. Just sit down with somebody and talk.

A number of ppl will be there.

Lumpy
03-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Interesting study on the advantage a team has when its home is at altitude. This study states that " Each additional 1,000m of altitude difference increased the goal difference by about half of a goal."

High Altitude Soccer Teams Have Significant Advantage Over Lowland Teams

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071221094837.htm

OgtheDim
03-29-2014, 07:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bj7ne6iCUAAF7KD.jpg

redisthenewblk
03-29-2014, 07:44 PM
The Starting XI: Julio Cesar, Orr, Caldwell, Henry, Morrow, Bloom, Hall, Bradley, Rey, Gilberto, Defoe #TFClive

pdubs
03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Toronto FC ‏@torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) 7m (https://twitter.com/torontofc/status/450068714046488576) #TFClive (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFClive&src=hash) Bench: Bendik, Hagglund, Morgan, Bekker, Nakajima-Farran, De Rosario, Wiedeman

no site of osorio. Hall gets the start. eep.

edit- hope Hall can prove me wrong and have a good game.

dutch
03-29-2014, 07:46 PM
fuck I must have said somthing stupid if nobody replied

TFC07
03-29-2014, 07:49 PM

No, it just you could have posted it on game thread, but I agree with your comment though.

SilverSamurai
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM

I'm in the same boat, although I "joined" back when RPB 1st started and I hardly know anyone!

Damn job and wacked out hours sure as hell doesnt help though...

Ajax TFC
03-29-2014, 07:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Bradley moves forward a lot more now that he has a more defensive partner. Hall can cover a lot of ground defensively and can find the outlet well enough. I think Bradley could push forward more defensively to neutralize Beckerman's influence

TFC07
03-29-2014, 07:59 PM
The Starting XI: Julio Cesar, Orr, Caldwell, Henry, Morrow, Bloom, Hall, Bradley, Rey, Gilberto, Defoe #TFClive

Not looking strong in the midfield. Hopefully we keep our shape and steal a point tonight!

redisthenewblk
03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
TFC07. I agree. A little worried about this lineup. A tie would be a good result. Looks like we're definitely going with the defend and counter strategy again. Could work out ok given the condition of the pitch.

Jeffro
03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Vancouver hands Houston their first loss, a win tonight puts us top of the East, come on you Reds!

RealG-TFC
03-29-2014, 08:11 PM
Hopefully Rey and Bloom makeup for a weaker midfield.

Ajax TFC
03-29-2014, 08:21 PM
Weaker midfield?? We still have Bradley in there, and Hall is fully capable of holding his own.

SoccerMan
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
Any streams????

TFC07
03-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Weaker midfield?? We still have Bradley in there, and Hall is fully capable of holding his own.

Offensively is weaker; We lack firepower and speed in the midfield. I except Bradley play more advanced or have one of forwards to drop back to get the ball. Bloom playing as a winger should be interesting. Not sure what he brings going forward while Hall is a wildcard.

denime
03-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Lookin forward to the game, I checked out the RSL forum. Its very different and hilarious to read ie very american lol they talk about football like its nfl.
I never heard of "power ranking averages", but they dont seem to stop talkin about this. Didnt give it much thought after I found out it means.
"If two teams played tomorrow, given their current injury concerns, form, and other considerations, who is likely to win on a neutral field? This list is designed to tell you who we feel is most likely to win that matchup. All things being equal, who is the best team going forward, based on what we know now?"

-Richard Farley, NBC Sports ProSoccerTalk. 3/11/14
http://www.rslsoapbox.com/fanposts/recent

Comparing beckerman to bradley, they got a thousand arrows on a field diagram. they talk about it like theyre breaking it down play by play lol http://www.rslsoapbox.com/stats-analysis/2014/3/27/5555438/beckerman-v-bradley-2014-difficult-separate-statistics?utm_source=rslsoapbox&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom
I hope we embarass them so they can break it down for me before we play our next game!!

Maybe they need a glowing soccer ball......

No, it just you could have posted it on game thread, but I agree with your comment though.

Merged

Soccerpro
03-29-2014, 08:34 PM
Any streams????

I too require a stream...

Yohan
03-29-2014, 08:36 PM
http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=244992&part=sports

http://gofirstrow.eu/watch/250588/2/watch-real-salt-lak-vs-toronto-fc.html

SoccerMan
03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
You the man yohan.. Dont mess with with the YOHAN

InDa_110
03-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Oh no. Not that ref.

OgtheDim
03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
On MLS Live.....with the TSN feed.

pdubs
03-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Saborio acting like a little bitch.

OgtheDim
03-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Sabarrio being a twit there....let them give the ball to the keeper to kick back to your CB's.

Eastend
03-29-2014, 08:52 PM
WTF Henry?

Richard
03-29-2014, 08:53 PM
My god :facepalm: