PDA

View Full Version : "Toronto" vs. "Toronto FC"

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 07:19 AM
I think we need to put forward some kind of united front in referring to our team as "Toronto", instead of "Toronto FC". Already this year, I've heard way too many references to "FC scoring a goal", or "the FCs got on the board early", or what have you. It's driving me crazy, and it sounds ridiculous.

Maybe we should start a campaign of letter-sending to reporters/stations that use our name incorrectly. I think constantly calling the team "Toronto FC" is probably part of the issue - how often do you hear someone call Barca "FC Barcelona"?

Maybe we should get the Leafs renamed to the "HCs", and the Jays to the "BTs"

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Sure. If someone wants to help start a writing campaign but it will be a long time to educate the common NA sports fan.

I had some random club kid on the way home last night ask me smugly if Toronto played soccer or football.

*I said that's up to you. I can speak either language.

I call it Toronto as often as I call it TFC. If it's someone who's met me they know the only Toronto I'm talking about.

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 08:52 AM
TFC really need to assemble a press kit or something, explaining that "FC" literally just means "Football Club" - it isn't a team nickname. A part of me dies every time I hear some clueless reporter refer to "the FCs" - apparently never curious enough to ask their editor what an "FC" is.

- Scott

Shway
03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
I agree with you 1000%.

however part of the problem is that Toronto has 4 major sports teams, and they all have nicknames. So in the media you will hear "the raptors won by....the leafs earned a shutout...the bluejays got 4 home runs to get the win...and even if they mention Toronto before it is still fine.

But then there's the case of Toronto FC who doesn't have a moniker. The only way I can see this changed if the media adopts "the reds" or they will have to mention in MLS play Toronto won by 1 goal...

At the end of the day what needs to STOP immediately is the referencing of "FC" as the name unless it means "Fired Coaches"

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 08:55 AM
I agree with you 1000%.

however part of the problem is that Toronto has 4 major sports teams, and they all have nicknames. So in the media you will hear "the raptors won by....the leafs earned a shutout...the bluejays got 4 home runs to get the win...and even if they mention Toronto before it is still fine.

But then there's the case of Toronto FC who doesn't have a moniker. The only way I can see this changed if the media adopts "the reds" or they will have to mention in MLS play Toronto won by 1 goal...

At the end of the day what needs to STOP immediately is the referencing of "FC" as the name unless it means "Fired Coaches"

Maybe we should try to get "TFC" normalized as the short-hand for the team, with the media.

- Scott

MartinUtd
03-23-2014, 09:08 AM
This doesn't bother me in the slightest. I don't see why anyone else gets their knickers in a twist over it, either.

tfcleeds
03-23-2014, 09:21 AM
TFC really need to assemble a press kit or something, explaining that "FC" literally just means "Football Club" - it isn't a team nickname. A part of me dies every time I hear some clueless reporter refer to "the FCs" - apparently never curious enough to ask their editor what an "FC" is.

- Scott

I thought we had gotten over this problem largely after year 1. But I have noticed the "FC" thing creeping in again, even from those who should know better (looking at you, Lee Godfrey).

flatpicker
03-23-2014, 09:31 AM
I agree that "FC" is horrible. Sports media should know better. But what I also fail to understand is why they feel it is necessary to call them "Toronto FC" when we are watching a broadcast or sports highlights. I mean, we are watching soccer, there is no need to clarify which Toronto team is being talked about. It should simply be "Toronto", unless a sportscaster is introducing a new story on the news and then, yeah, it's fine to distinguish which Toronto team they are talking about. Craig Forest always calls them "Toronto FC", which shocks me because he's a soccer guy. Craig, we know you aren't talking about the Leafs, it's ok to say "Toronto".

molenshtain
03-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Amen. the amount of times I heard this in the run up to the game from casuals and reporters was ridiculous. I personally would be very glad if people came to know us as "TFC" or "The Reds" as apposed to "the FC". It just sounds amateurish.

Couchy81
03-23-2014, 10:01 AM
To be fair, the sport is relatively new to many Torontonians, they didn't watch soccer growing up and the team is still young. Forgive their ignorance and eventually one hopes they realize calling a team "Football Club" instead of its actual name is incorrect.

billyfly
03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I thought in year 1 there was a press release and everything about "FC" (?)

Maybe no one wants to offend anyone by using Toronto. "FC" is nicer for those that like to shit on Toronto's other teams (you know who you are a-holes) and TFC is like KFC where if you don't say "fried" maybe people will forget it is.

Mr_gamble
03-23-2014, 10:52 AM
I've never heard anyone refer to us as "FC". Usually TFC. Which is fine. But if it is happening then that's just silly. "Football Club has just scored a goal". Come on. Surely the guys who are sayings this realise the stupidity behind it? Both teams are football clubs.

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 11:07 AM
I've never heard anyone refer to us as "FC". Usually TFC. Which is fine. But if it is happening then that's just silly. "Football Club has just scored a goal". Come on. Surely the guys who are sayings this realise the stupidity behind it? Both teams are football clubs.

It comes down to them not understanding what "FC" actually means. I heard someone on CP24 this morning, call us "The FCs"

- Scott

ryan
03-23-2014, 11:09 AM
I've made the comment a billion times I feel like. It's an MLS/North America problem. All the teams are referred to like this and it sounds so utterly stupid.

Just look at the EPL table on the official league site? Zero reference to "FC" anywhere. In the abbreviated table on the home page, as well as under the "team page" selection, all teams are labeled as to how people verbalize them. "Spurs", "West Brom", "Man City", "Norwich", etc.

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Give it time, friend. You'll hear it.

CBTFC
03-23-2014, 12:23 PM
I was listening to Indie 88 earlier today, and on their 30 second news clip they referred to us as "The Toronto FC".

made me cringe just hearing it, lol.

BuSaPuNk
03-23-2014, 12:43 PM
I had the same conversation with Pete about it yesterday morning actually.

I can't stand it and it drives me bonkers.

I don't walk around calling the Maple Leafs the HC or Raptors the BC. It's just as silly and usually make that reference to people who comment to me about the "FC".

To me it's a respect thing as much as a stupid thing.

Cashcleaner
03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Haha! This is a topic that was brought up prior to our first year and caused plenty of commotion then. I don't so much have a problem with random people who aren't fans call it "FC" of "The FC" or whatever. But if someone is going to call themselves a journalist in this city, the least they can do is refer to the club as "TFC" or simply "Toronto" in their writings.

I don't have a problem with a layperson being unfamiliar with the terminology, but there's no excuse for a sports writer or broadcaster.

tfcleeds
03-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Wish more people in the media would just refer to us as "the Reds" and leave it at that (and to be fair, some do). But then, you run the risk of noobs calling us "The Toronto Reds", lol.

Mr_gamble
03-23-2014, 01:06 PM
It comes down to them not understanding what "FC" actually means. I heard someone on CP24 this morning, call us "The FCs"

- Scott

Oh man. that sucks. I REALLY hope that doesn't stick.

Shakes McQueen
03-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I heard a guy call Toronto FC the "Toronto Red Patch" once.

- Scott

tfcleeds
03-23-2014, 01:10 PM
I heard a guy call Toronto FC the "Toronto Red Patch" once.

- Scott

:facepalm:

Red4ever
03-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Enh I could go either way. Though FCs sounds completely dumb, The Toronto FC doesn't bother me as much.

It would be better if there were a second toronto team, in which THE Toronto Football Club takes on an Ohio State feel.

At the end of the day, there is a big difference between Toronto FC and the FCs. AS someone said above, we aren't the only show in Toronto, they have that solo luxury on pretty much any other continent.

prizby
03-23-2014, 02:51 PM
I just scrolled the bottom, so sorry if it has been mentioned. The issue is normal people view FC as like the team 'nickname'; they say 'The FC' as if they were saying 'The Blue Jays' or 'The Leafs' or 'The Raptors'

gate7
03-23-2014, 06:30 PM
I just scrolled the bottom, so sorry if it has been mentioned. The issue is normal people view FC as like the team 'nickname'; they say 'The FC' as if they were saying 'The Blue Jays' or 'The Leafs' or 'The Raptors'

maybe if was 'FC Toronto" people would get it………but saying "the FC" sounds dumb and silly enough said…..

calling the leafs HC or 'Hockey Club" would be ridiculous just the same.

JuliquE
03-23-2014, 06:32 PM
I agree that "FC" is horrible. Sports media should know better. But what I also fail to understand is why they feel it is necessary to call them "Toronto FC" when we are watching a broadcast or sports highlights. I mean, we are watching soccer, there is no need to clarify which Toronto team is being talked about. It should simply be "Toronto", unless a sportscaster is introducing a new story on the news and then, yeah, it's fine to distinguish which Toronto team they are talking about. Craig Forest always calls them "Toronto FC", which shocks me because he's a soccer guy. Craig, we know you aren't talking about the Leafs, it's ok to say "Toronto".
I have, admittedly, noticed this.. but, to be honest, I think it's splitting hairs. Whilst I do think "Toronto" would suffice, I just can't see this ever getting me too riled up.

I was listening to Indie 88 earlier today, and on their 30 second news clip they referred to us as "The Toronto FC".

made me cringe just hearing it, lol.
Well.. that, for me, is actually correct, isn't it? The Toronto Football Club won, yesterday.. etc. Not sure what's wrong with that, and I would often intentionally refer to it this way, myself.

That said, I couldn't agree more with the general sentiment of this thread. It's so embarrassing a topic, when we're talking about professional journalists and even the in-house guy (Godfrey) making an anus out of himself, on a regular basis.

I would think "The Reds" would slot in well, for the way in which they like to refer to teams. Else, it shouldn't be that difficult to add the extra "T" to the ridiculous "FC" moniker.

But, yeh.. HUGE pet-peeve of mine, this. Hope to Christ it changes.

gate7
03-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Toronto, The Reds, Tfc, Toronto Fc……..i don't believe any other references qualify.

tfctillidie
03-23-2014, 08:40 PM
yeah i have no problem if they say Toronto FC...but when they only say FC..It really gets on my nerves. hahahaha its a sensitive issue lol

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2014, 09:03 PM
I tend to call the team TFC or the Reds. Simple as that.

Doucet3
03-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Yea I hear "The FC's scored" I just think…. "what FC?, Shamrock Rovers FC, Manchester United FC, Toronto FC… what FC are you talking about" i feel ppls pain when we got to hear this its mostly ignorance to football i think.

Waggy
03-23-2014, 10:20 PM
I seem to remember when the team was being unveiled that MLSE went to great pains to explain that Toronto FC was a brand name, it wasn't a short version of Toronto Football Club, anyone else remember that? I never quite got it, but whatever.

Referring to the team as "The FCs" is stupid. But "The FC" actually does make sense if you accept that FC is short for Football Club. It sounds weird, and wouldn't be my go to (I 99% of the time go with TFC), but technically "The football club won 1-0" makes slightly more sense than saying "Toronto won 1-0". In either case more description is required (what football club? what Toronto team?), even if it is pretty obviously implied (like the Leafs will ever get a shutout with Reimer in net, or the Jays post a shut out with THAT rotation)

james
03-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Most people I hang out with know football, so they never say "FC Won". Its always Toronto FC or TFC. So i didn't even notice it.

molenshtain
03-23-2014, 11:21 PM
I seem to remember when the team was being unveiled that MLSE went to great pains to explain that Toronto FC was a brand name, it wasn't a short version of Toronto Football Club, anyone else remember that? I never quite got it, but whatever.

Referring to the team as "The FCs" is stupid. But "The FC" actually does make sense if you accept that FC is short for Football Club. It sounds weird, and wouldn't be my go to (I 99% of the time go with TFC), but technically "The football club won 1-0" makes slightly more sense than saying "Toronto won 1-0". In either case more description is required (what football club? what Toronto team?), even if it is pretty obviously implied (like the Leafs will ever get a shutout with Reimer in net, or the Jays post a shut out with THAT rotation)

I think the point is that our name isn't actually "Toronto Football Club." It's Toronto FC with the "FC" not actually standing for anything. because, as much as it sucks to think about, we're a franchise not a club.

Kaz
03-24-2014, 01:28 AM
though it will just confuse people more but explain FC is the same thing as the C H on for the Montreal Canadiens You just say Toronto, TFC, or the Reds (I suppose) just as the Montreal Canadien Hockey Club (Le Club de Hockey Canadien) is refered to as Montreal or the Canadiens or The Habs.

MKR
03-24-2014, 10:52 AM
Yes i hear it all the time and i gotta say i find it ridiculous. I have actually heard TSN personalities say it which is really inexcusable given that they work in SPORTS MEDIA.

Canary10
03-24-2014, 11:24 AM
I think the point is that our name isn't actually "Toronto Football Club." It's Toronto FC with the "FC" not actually standing for anything. because, as much as it sucks to think about, we're a franchise not a club.

Toronto FC does use "Toronto Football Club" often in various ways. It is the full name.

The FCs bothers me too. Very annoying.

While we're at it, I heard a lot of people yelling Hulio on Saturday in reference to Julio Cesar. Can we also have an education on the pronunciation of "j's" in Portuguese?

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Toronto FC does use "Toronto Football Club" often in various ways. It is the full name.

While we're at it, I heard a lot of people yelling Hulio on Saturday in reference to Julio Cesar. Can we also have an education on the pronunciation of "j's" in Portuguese?

You are correct but it is his first month here. People have had 8 years to look out for those EffCees coming!

Canary10
03-24-2014, 11:30 AM
You are correct but it is his first month here. People have had 8 years to look out for those EffCees coming!

I know. There is nothing more annoying than that!

gate7
03-24-2014, 11:51 AM

you are right...J is H sound in spanish.....but my Brazilian buddy says Julio with a Z sound first.....could be dialect?

molenshtain
03-24-2014, 02:55 PM

Well, I've been following the club for 8 years just as religiously as the rest of you and I've never seen us officially called "Toronto Football Club"
I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Having the "FC" stand for nothing is kind of stupid.

billyfly
03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
you are right...J is H sound in spanish.....but my Brazilian buddy says Julio with a Z sound first.....could be dialect?

Not really. Portuguese pronounce J's like J's (imagine that)

Shakes McQueen
03-24-2014, 03:00 PM
I loves me some Jewleoh Ceasar.

- Scott

Canary10
03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Well, I've been following the club for 8 years just as religiously as the rest of you and I've never seen us officially called "Toronto Football Club"
I'd be glad to be proven wrong. Having the "FC" stand for nothing is kind of stupid.

I know they use it on the entrance to the training ground (it says Toronto Football Club on the main wall). Also on the academy logo and the banner of the emails they send to season ticket holders every Friday. It's not out there everywhere but they do use it.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8n9O3b65J4n992D1hM2MRK_-7QpuQzlUaldObiieUlNbBkZVBzA

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/toronto/files/imagecache/620x350/image_nodes/2013/03/TFCAcademy-Logo-2013V2.jpg

molenshtain
03-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Fair enough. I never read the emails but I guess I should have payed closer attention to the academy logo.

well fuck me, ya can't always be right.

Canary10
03-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Fair enough. I never read the emails but I guess I should have payed closer attention to the academy logo.

well fuck me, ya can't always be right.

It's one of those things you see a lot but it doesn't register. Wish the media would pay attention. Then we'd be called the "clubbers." That would be awesome. (Perfect name for when we get that magnificent cocktail lounge in the reno'ed stadium).

Carts
03-24-2014, 03:29 PM
As for Julio Cesar...

Right from his very lips his name is pronounced "JOO-LEE-O SAY-ZAR"...

We asked the man himself for confirmation on media day - as some were saying 'Hoo-lio', some were saying 'See-Zar' etc etc...

I personally always assumed it was with an 'H' pronunciation, and was wrong...

Carts...