PDA

View Full Version : 112 tourists and scalpers gone?

Abou Sky
03-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Over the past couple of weeks I have been watching Craigslist, Kijiji and Stub Hub and it seems like there is no availability of tix in 112

Not much in 113 or 114 either.

Has the initiative by the club to give SGs first shot worked?

I truly hope so.

David_Oliveira
03-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I have a good friend who bought seasons on kijiji in 112. Not to worry. He has been in the section many of time and knows how we do things but there will probably still be tourists in our section

Pookie
03-22-2014, 10:51 AM
I know you are speaking about 112 specifically so I'll leave that alone.

As a general comment though, I would hope that SG's would take a more open attitude about "tourists".

If the FO is to be believed, many tickets were sold for the Jermain Defoe Show this year. Season tickets were trending to 12k. If 5k jumped on board after Defoe the majority really are coming to be seen and "experience BMO" and have little loyalty to the team. These new STHs are most likely "tourists" hoping to catch the wave.

Folks that were attracted by the hype over football may quickly jump ship if things turn sour. If SGs really want to restore the atmosphere at BMO, these "tourists" need to be embraced and encouraged to actually follow the team and join in.

Brooker
03-22-2014, 11:42 AM
I've seen a couple for 112. They're still being scalped and will continue to be, like any other section.

FluSH
03-23-2014, 09:40 AM
I've seen a couple for 112. They're still being scalped and will continue to be, like any other section.

Makes me cry... Oh well. I didn't see any scalpers at all yesterday and I was looking for a ticket! could also be because I was in the march lol

Abou Sky
03-23-2014, 09:56 AM
I know you are speaking about 112 specifically so I'll leave that alone.

As a general comment though, I would hope that SG's would take a more open attitude about "tourists".

If the FO is to be believed, many tickets were sold for the Jermain Defoe Show this year. Season tickets were trending to 12k. If 5k jumped on board after Defoe the majority really are coming to be seen and "experience BMO" and have little loyalty to the team. These new STHs are most likely "tourists" hoping to catch the wave.

Folks that were attracted by the hype over football may quickly jump ship if things turn sour. If SGs really want to restore the atmosphere at BMO, these "tourists" need to be embraced and encouraged to actually follow the team and join in.

Pookie, I was a tourist at one point and was welcomed warmly, that is why I stuck around.

I am more concerned about people who come in and start complaining about people standing in front of them etc.

I met a couple of guys half way up 112 yesterday who had never been to a game before and one was possibly the wildest dood there (also the drunkest, but no harm, no foul :) )

Anyway, when I say tourists I don't mean new faces, I mean people who are NOT into the atmosphere and are looking for something akin to a blue jays game.

tfcleeds
03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Pookie, I was a tourist at one point and was welcomed warmly, that is why I stuck around.

I am more concerned about people who come in and start complaining about people standing in front of them etc.

I met a couple of guys half way up 112 yesterday who had never been to a game before and one was possibly the wildest dood there (also the drunkest, but no harm, no foul :) )

Anyway, when I say tourists I don't mean new faces, I mean people who are NOT into the atmosphere and are looking for something akin to a blue jays game.

Honestly don't know what goes through some people's heads. Presumably the reason people come into 112 in the first place is because they want to contribute to the atmosphere, not to just sit there. I don't get why anyone would go there, and then complain.

Pookie
03-23-2014, 10:03 AM
Honestly don't know what goes through some people's heads. Presumably the reason people come into 112 in the first place is because they want to contribute to the atmosphere, not to just sit there. I don't get why anyone would go there, and then complain.

I think it comes down to $$$. Many people went to that game. If you bought tickets in the south end, you paid a lot less than folks in the reds and dark greys. I imagine that many that were first timers were looking at cost first.

T-boy
03-23-2014, 10:07 AM
I was in 114 yesterday (2 of my 3 season tickets, the other is in 113) and there were a LOT of tourists around me. The guy in front of me asked "you must be a new season ticket holder"....me "no, I was hear all last season too", and he replied "no, you're new, I've always had these seats". 30 seconds later a guy comes by with tickets for the same seats and the guy replies "oh ok, no, these aren't my seats", then moves along.

Then at another point 5 minutes into the game me and my girlfriend had 5 people in our 2 seats all claiming they were meant to be there. I think they just wanted to be in the supporters section for the atmosphere. It might be worth the guys at the front of the stand actually checking the tickets once again, as we are going to see a LOT of people all trying to squeeze into 112/113/114 area.

Abou Sky
03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
The problem IMO is that most scalpers get cheapest seats they can (so if they only get $10/ticket they are ok)

So now you have people saying 'hey, let's kill a day and go to TFC'

They get scalpers tix and nobody is where they want them to be.

We will see as the season goes on.

112 was ram jam packed, which is awesome!

Pookie
03-23-2014, 10:19 AM
I was in 114 yesterday (2 of my 3 season tickets, the other is in 113) and there were a LOT of tourists around me. The guy in front of me asked "you must be a new season ticket holder"....me "no, I was hear all last season too", and he replied "no, you're new, I've always had these seats". 30 seconds later a guy comes by with tickets for the same seats and the guy replies "oh ok, no, these aren't my seats", then moves along.

Get used to the "tourists."

Fans that bought seats to see Defoe and be a "part of it" are the reason BMO season ticket sales went the other direction. Hard core folks are still there, others have dropped off and need more than shiny new objects to get back in. What's left are tourists.

Don't think of it as bad, think of it as an opportunity. RPB always talk about uniting the south and making BMO a fortress, well there are people there now. Sure, they may not know the game all that well and may only be there because it is trendy but so what? They are there. Engage them.

Brooker
03-23-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm all for people squeezing in and if you don't have a ticket for 112 I don't care, the more the merrier, but can you please not be so drunk you're falling into me every 30 seconds and drunkenly modifying the songs? Holy shit lol.

Yesterday was a tourist/newbie disaster lol.

Oh well. I'll attribute it to home opener excitement. Onward.

Fort York Redcoat
03-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Get used to the "tourists."

Fans that bought seats to see Defoe and be a "part of it" are the reason BMO season ticket sales went the other direction. Hard core folks are still there, others have dropped off and need more than shiny new objects to get back in. What's left are tourists.

Don't think of it as bad, think of it as an opportunity. RPB always talk about uniting the south and making BMO a fortress, well there are people there now. Sure, they may not know the game all that well and may only be there because it is trendy but so what? They are there. Engage them.

Yes. Engage them. And maybe one day those that need more shiny objects(?) will be accepted with open arms without judgement or derogatory comment.

Tourist is a term reserved for people who can't even act like they belong there, regardless what their ticket says. This is not a 112 vs the rest situation.

Red CB Toronto
03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
I was asked a few times when I came into 112 for the second half to move because my brother and I were in front of someone's seats. In the end I rather have growth than some of the desperate nights we had in 112 over the last few seasons, so all is good in my mind.

Cashcleaner
03-23-2014, 12:39 PM

New people are great to see. But like you said, the key is that they participate. Not much is being asked - merely that they sing when the rest of us sing and jump when the rest of us jump. If someone can do those two simple tasks, the south end is the right spot for them.

"Tourist" is tossed around a lot on these boards, but it is an apt description for someone who goes into 112 to watch and be watched, rather than contribute to the atmosphere.

Pint
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
A supporter isn't built in a day but as long as the will to learn is brought by the person they are welcome IMO.

For Supporters Groups we have 2 ways to grow:

1. Bring back people who have left during the rough years or
2. Bring in new people

With the number of songs we have and the breadth of complexity in the songs, what is the best way to educate people on the songs? song sheets?

BuSaPuNk
03-23-2014, 12:52 PM
A supporter isn't built in a day but as long as the will to learn is brought by the person they are welcome IMO.

For Supporters Groups we have 2 ways to grow:

1. Bring back people who have left during the rough years or
2. Bring in new people

With the number of songs we have and the breadth of complexity in the songs, what is the best way to educate people on the songs? song sheets?

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

Look at the massive. Not complex but done enough through the seasons that a lot of people know it.

That said song sheets or more mashups at gate 3 post game and even pregame is a good way to get people to hear it.

I know in my case learning new chants and songs is easier when your actually singing it not reading it off a sheet or online.

Pint
03-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Look at the massive. Not complex but done enough through the seasons that a lot of people know it.

That said song sheets or more mashups at gate 3 post game and even pregame is a good way to get people to hear it.

I know in my case learning new chants and songs is easier when your actually singing it not reading it off a sheet or online.

ya just thinking outloud.... repetition is the best way but can take a while as certain songs might not be done enough for it to click in (especially for new songs).

Huyton
03-23-2014, 01:02 PM

With the starting 11 warming up in front of 112, the 30 minutes prior to the start of a game is a perfect time for us to introduce new songs, go through our repertoire and get the team, and us, psyched up for the game.

It was great yesterday to hear the last names (or the entire name if they're Brazilian and not a goalkeeper) of the players as they were introduced on the scoreboard.

jazzy
03-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Makes me cry... Oh well. I didn't see any scalpers at all yesterday and I was looking for a ticket! could also be because I was in the march lol

saw some at the beginning of the tunnel and they had tickets with scarfs...???

prizby
03-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Then at another point 5 minutes into the game me and my girlfriend had 5 people in our 2 seats all claiming they were meant to be there. I think they just wanted to be in the supporters section for the atmosphere. It might be worth the guys at the front of the stand actually checking the tickets once again, as we are going to see a LOT of people all trying to squeeze into 112/113/114 area.

i stood in 114 for the first half yesterday...I felt like I was in a library, the people around me were only interested in trying to get the refs attention with "hey ref" or chanting "douche bag" whenever it pleased them, otherwise, there was more interest in talking about the chelsea-arsenal game and when they are going to open up their cottage among other things

BuSaPuNk
03-23-2014, 02:35 PM
With the starting 11 warming up in front of 112, the 30 minutes prior to the start of a game is a perfect time for us to introduce new songs, go through our repertoire and get the team, and us, psyched up for the game.

It was great yesterday to hear the last names (or the entire name if they're Brazilian and not a goalkeeper) of the players as they were introduced on the scoreboard.

And hopefully that's the trend we started by doing the march when we did. We should have that section packed 30 mins before kickoff every game.

Hopefully yesterday a lot of people seen that and will start doing it. Not only good for us on a support level but good for the club to have a packed stadium well before the anthems.

prizby
03-23-2014, 02:54 PM
And hopefully that's the trend we started by doing the march when we did. We should have that section packed 30 mins before kickoff every game.

Hopefully yesterday a lot of people seen that and will start doing it. Not only good for us on a support level but good for the club to have a packed stadium well before the anthems.

i'm curious to see if this keeps up; would be an interesting project to do cards in the south end

FluSH
03-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Since we are talking about chants:

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35714-Week-3-Chant-Recap

Abou Sky
03-23-2014, 04:11 PM
i'm curious to see if this keeps up; would be an interesting project to do cards in the south end

Cards?

prizby
03-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Cards?

like so

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20121016&t=2&i=663982767&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE89F0YUK00

Abou Sky
03-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Ya, I have always wanted to do one of those.

Ideally it would be a picture of me.

FluSH
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
like so

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20121016&t=2&i=663982767&w=580&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE89F0YUK00

Canadian Bhoy tried to pull this off during the first year... Pre-mature at the time but it was tried

prizby
03-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Canadian Bhoy tried to pull this off during the first year... Pre-mature at the time but it was tried

understandable, i think it will be a challenge and one where every group will need to work together on, but if the stands show they can be as full as they were during the anthem, it'd make sense to give it a try

T-boy
03-23-2014, 08:35 PM
i stood in 114 for the first half yesterday...I felt like I was in a library, the people around me were only interested in trying to get the refs attention with "hey ref" or chanting "douche bag" whenever it pleased them, otherwise, there was more interest in talking about the chelsea-arsenal game and when they are going to open up their cottage among other things

I find that's a fairly regular occurance in 114! No much direct TFC interest really, more just people wanting to see sport, or just have a day out!

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2014, 12:14 PM

There are 20 minutes between these posts. Has the attitude in the South changed so quickly they're ready to do a card tifo?

Not against trying it but let's be aware of what we're taking on...

Abou Sky
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
is there a site/program out there that designs card tifos?

I don't know about 114 but I am sure that 112 could get one going

prizby
03-24-2014, 03:16 PM
There are 20 minutes between these posts. Has the attitude in the South changed so quickly they're ready to do a card tifo?

Not against trying it but let's be aware of what we're taking on...

big difference between physical people in their seats and what they are verbally saying

Fort York Redcoat
03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
big difference between physical people in their seats and what they are verbally saying

So what they are saying is that they aren't excited for displays but you think they might be excited to do a future display? Okay. Sounds like work.

prizby
03-24-2014, 03:41 PM
So what they are saying is that they aren't excited for displays but you think they might be excited to do a future display? Okay. Sounds like work.

ahh i get what you are saying; i was confused by what you quoted...good point

C.Ronaldo
03-24-2014, 03:52 PM
making a certain GO train time free (included in the price) should fix a lot of game time arrival issues.

even people coming from north of city would find it cheaper/easier to take highway south to a lake shore GO stop, park and take train.

TTC has too much bullsh*t to ever hope of negotiating something with the FO.

james
03-24-2014, 08:54 PM
I saw the giant Canada Flag in the North End on Saturday, was well done by fans, well holding it anyways for the national anthem (where did that flag even come from, was that MLSE? or brought by fans?) But I helped paint the banner in 111, when I saw them raise it on Saturday, it was rather disapointing, people just kept moving it further and further back, to the point they went to far back. They never got it straight and never seemed to hold it long enough at all. To many people seemed to not know what to do with it. It didn't look pretty, and that is something rather simple to do, how are we ever going to get a card tifo going if we couldn't get people to hold a dam banner.

It does make me a bit frustrated when you see a lot of teams now like LA, Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, DC United, Chicago, all have done nice card tifos, and some of them are coming up with pretty crazy tifos in general in the passed year. But I don't know if we could get one done at BMO, to many people might be confused or purposely not join in, and fans being in there seats before national anthem is also a major issue.

BuSaPuNk
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Giant flag is the FO.

We had a lot of issues with the banner going up. Wind getting People to stop it I was at the bottom and tried to atleast get it up evenly. As soon as it got to the top of the stairs I wanted it to stop. But the guys that were helping me out couldn't get it to stop.

Just seemed like everyone just thought they had to push it up. Oh well we just take what we learn and try to make it easier next time.

nascarguy
03-24-2014, 10:03 PM
yeah they wantin to cut a hole in it but that wind was hard to deal with

james
03-25-2014, 01:52 AM
Giant flag is the FO.

We had a lot of issues with the banner going up. Wind getting People to stop it I was at the bottom and tried to atleast get it up evenly. As soon as it got to the top of the stairs I wanted it to stop. But the guys that were helping me out couldn't get it to stop.

Just seemed like everyone just thought they had to push it up. Oh well we just take what we learn and try to make it easier next time.

Don't know if the wind was blowing it or what I expect fans just kept moving it back just like I have seen happen before in BMO Field where some fans seem a bit clueless on holding banners, It's like they think we need to pass it around the stadium and keep it moving, but really that's not how it works. I blame those early TFC banners we use to pass around the entire stadium, then I started noticing it being done with big Canada flags at Leafs games and Ottawa Senators games doing the same thing fans just passing them around.Some fans also hate to be under the banner for more then 5 seconds. They don't get that we should hold it for a good 1minute. However I do remember the North End use to make some cool Tifos, and even in the South End we got that massive Danny Dichio banner to stay covering the entire stand, and we all held it for a good Minute and a half maybe even as much as 3 minutes.

Fort York Redcoat
03-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Don't know if the wind was blowing it or what I expect fans just kept moving it back just like I have seen happen before in BMO Field where some fans seem a bit clueless on holding banners, It's like they think we need to pass it around the stadium and keep it moving, but really that's not how it works. I blame those early TFC banners we use to pass around the entire stadium, then I started noticing it being done with big Canada flags at Leafs games and Ottawa Senators games doing the same thing fans just passing them around.Some fans also hate to be under the banner for more then 5 seconds. They don't get that we should hold it for a good 1minute. However I do remember the North End use to make some cool Tifos, and even in the South End we got that massive Danny Dichio banner to stay covering the entire stand, and we all held it for a good Minute and a half maybe even as much as 3 minutes.

All last year I had very little issue with banners in 110. All it takes is letting people know as they arrive what is happening and how long its going to take.

You addressed both those issues. People don't know what to do but are happy to comply once its up...for a second or two. Then they want it to move because they've been involved. So as long as I communicated that it's going to stay up for say 30 secs and THEY WOULD NOT MISS ANY OF THE MATCH. They will do it. It also means keeping it going while you yourself are under it. I found that was the difference. Coaching them from underneath, saying 10 MORE SECONDS!! etc.

It makes the difference.

Yagbod
03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
I walked around 114 and 115 before the match telling people about the big banners going up. I said it will go up after the anthem and be down well before kick off. One guy just looked at me and told me to 'fuck off'. A whole group of people that smiled and nodded at me when I talked to them are clearly shown on TV trying to pull down the banner during the 90 seconds or so that it was up. I am not even going to get into the abuse our one guy took for waving a flag. Supporters are outnumbered down there by what ever you want to call them. I call people like that selfish assholes.

It's really nice that 112 is basically general admission and everyone (for the most part) squeezes in and gets along. The problem is that 112 is also likely the smallest section. Supporters culture needs a bigger section where only hard core supporters can go and do their thing without being abused. Otherwise it is just going to lead to conflict. I have had enough of conflict in the stands.

cmonyoureds
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
I walked around 114 and 115 before the match telling people about the big banners going up. I said it will go up after the anthem and be down well before kick off. One guy just looked at me and told me to 'fuck off'. A whole group of people that smiled and nodded at me when I talked to them are clearly shown on TV trying to pull down the banner during the 90 seconds or so that it was up. I am not even going to get into the abuse our one guy took for waving a flag. Supporters are outnumbered down there by what ever you want to call them. I call people like that selfish assholes.

It's really nice that 112 is basically general admission and everyone (for the most part) squeezes in and gets along. The problem is that 112 is also likely the smallest section. Supporters culture needs a bigger section where only hard core supporters can go and do their thing without being abused. Otherwise it is just going to lead to conflict. I have had enough of conflict in the stands.

114 and 115 gave you grief? Even on a flag? That's disappointing considering they are in the "south end" which is specifically earmarked for this sort of thing.

You are right about 112. And the people on this site deserve a lot of credit for the atmosphere down there. I spent a lot of time in that section last year (on RPB tix through ticket trader) and never once was I asked "who are you" or "where did you get that seat". If you show up, understand how the section works, and contribute, it's the best place in Toronto sports to be.

Fort York Redcoat
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Supporters Culture needs to be grown and education is needed with an open hand. It sounds like you did your best to be friendly about it. You'll have to keep that up until it's the expected norm. The minute they feel pushed they won't help with shit.

Good Luck on the tightrope, pal :thumbsup:

We haven't talked since game day but i felt we did a bang up job working side by side. Cheers.

james
03-25-2014, 02:01 PM

wow, that sucks man. You know what we have talked about this over the years how Red patch Boys choose the 112 corner section not knowing how many fans would actually show up to sing, they were thinking maybe 30 guys would. Now looking back we wish we took a section right behind the net. It has been a problem, but a big part of not getting Tifos going quite like we would of liked I think has part to do with to many of us are spread out amongst other people who donn't care or even know what a Tifo is. A lot of other teams in MLS have a section right behind the goal net. We don't have that section and it seems to be a bit of a pain in the ass now that we don't. General admission would be a dream in the South End to change that. I don't see Front Office letting us have general admission however.

lobo
03-26-2014, 05:43 AM

hey chris, that was a great effort! shame about the pricky-shits. i know that won't stop you though.