PDA

View Full Version : Canada Soccer announces move to new timeframe for future Amway Canadian Championships

MartinUtd
03-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Big changes ahead! Most notably:

-moving from spring to a summer schedule
-2014 stays as is
-2015 V-cup winner has rights to 2016 CCL
-2015 CCL will be determined by the highest point total in the domestic league between Canadian teams

The 2014 Amway Canadian Championship will be played in its current format and timeframe, starting this 23 April in Ottawa, with the winner earning the rights to represent Canada in the 2014/2015 CONCACAF Champions League. This will be the seventh edition of the national competition that features the country’s five professional clubs.
The 2015 edition of the Amway Canadian Championship will shift timeframe to be played in July and August, after the completion of the FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015TM and respecting the CONCACAF Gold Cup dates. The champion of the 2015 Amway Canadian Championship will represent Canada in the 2016/2017 CONCACAF Champions League.

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-announces-move-to-new-timeframe-for-future-amway-canadian-championships-p156082

MartinUtd
03-21-2014, 12:34 PM
I like this move. It allows for expansion of the tournament and will help alleviate fixture congestion.

T-boy
03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Does this mean no team will play in the 15/16 CCL?

pdogg
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
I think it means that whichever Canadian team has the highest point total at the end of this year represents Canada in the CCL next year (15/16).

MartinUtd
03-21-2014, 12:51 PM
As such, it has been agreed with all participating clubs that the Canadian MLS club ranked highest in the combined league points table at the end of the 2014 regular MLS season would be appointed Canadian representative for the 2015/2016 CONCACAF Champions League.

On second read, does this mean that it's total points, or total points amongst the Canadian teams?

pdogg
03-21-2014, 12:53 PM
On second read, does this mean that it's total points, or total points amongst the Canadian teams?

Do we play Montreal and Vancouver equal times this year? Also means that Edmonton is out, and Ottawa.

Pint
03-21-2014, 12:54 PM
it appears to be the highest MLS point total

flamehawk
03-21-2014, 01:14 PM
I understand the reasoning but I would be so pissed if I was an Edmonton or Ottawa fan. A little surprised those teams would just allow this to happen.

pdogg
03-21-2014, 01:20 PM
To move to this schedule it had to be one of three options

- run two tourneys in the same year (spring 2015 for 2015/16 CCL and summer 2015 for 2016/17 CCL)
- forego a position in the CCL
- use the schedule they chose

I think ultimately it is a better set-up as it allows the games to be spread throughout the season (more games?), and potentially more rounds in the long-run.

Huyton
03-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I would have liked to see a Challenger series for the 2015/16 CCL position to take on the Voyageurs Cup holders from 2014.

For instance, assume TFC wins the 2014 Voyageurs Cup. Then Edmonton plays Vancouver and Ottawa plays Montreal in home and away on the same evenings as TFC is playing in the group stage of the CCL in 2014. Edmonton then plays Ottawa in a home and away series on the final two nights when TFC is playing in the final two games of the CCL group stage. The winner is then the Challenger for TFC to play in a single Championship game, played the first Saturday in May, 2015 at BMO Field.

jabbronies
03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
So I guess Edmonton is no longer in the running for this?

Redcoe15
03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
That might motivate both Edmonton and Ottawa to try and knock off the MLS teams.

Greatest Ripoff
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
I like this move. It allows for expansion of the tournament and will help alleviate fixture congestion.

Doesn't it mean more fixture congestion? When it is played now there are no other fixtures to worry about. In August there are CCL matches and mid season friendlies as well as MLS schedules more mid week games during July and August.

pdogg
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
Doesn't it mean more fixture congestion? When it is played now there are no other fixtures to worry about. In August there are CCL matches and mid season friendlies as well as MLS schedules more mid week games during July and August.

I think it allows them more dates to use. Right now they have to have the CCL winner determined by a certain date, now they can spread it over more months. I would assume TFC also had requests to MLS for less early season midweek fixtures because of the current format.

MartinUtd
03-21-2014, 03:01 PM

There's a limited window right now that happens to work out, it might not always be the case in the future. Opening up the calender will gives us a lot more flexibility to plan a schedule. Right now, if you make a deep enough run in the CCL you'll be overlapping the preliminary leg of the Vcup. Even if there isn't an actual overlap, you don't want you team playing midweek fixtures for two consecutive tournaments without break.

james
03-21-2014, 03:37 PM
When are the US Open Cup games?? we could play the same weeks that USA teams play.

james
03-21-2014, 03:39 PM

we need to scrap friendlies. I use to like seeing teams come play us, but now it just mucks up our schedule, to many pointless games in the middle of our season.

Abou Sky
03-21-2014, 06:44 PM
I wish they would do the V-cup as an open cup. Bring in top teams later on but at least add something for everyone.

greatwhitenorf
03-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Good to see Ottawa getting a game. Start prepping the place for when the RedInks expire and soccer can take over.

prizby
03-21-2014, 08:49 PM
I understand the reasoning but I would be so pissed if I was an Edmonton or Ottawa fan. A little surprised those teams would just allow this to happen.

something tells me it is Ottawa and Edmonton that have asked for the move to summer

prizby
03-21-2014, 08:51 PM

one time thing for july and august due to hosting the 2015 womens world cup; it'll probably mirror the us open cup going forward (best guess)

Initial B
03-21-2014, 10:10 PM
I'm annoyed that Ottawa won't be able to challenge for the 2015/16 CCL. That smacks of condescension from the CSA. I also don't like how they winners will be for the following year. A team can really change in the off-season and might be a shadow of itself when the competition rolls around.

Mark in Ottawa
03-22-2014, 10:00 AM
So much for Canada having a true FA Cup. We will have to wait and see how this all plays out. I am sure that the Ottawa franchise will be disappointed that they will not have any FA cup competition for the foreseeable future after seeing the interest that this years competition has generated.

Kaz
04-03-2014, 11:55 AM
ok so what I see with this is they are preping to allow for 6 or more teams in the future, and have a US open style Competition.

Right now Ottawa and Edmonton play a home away.

add one more NASL team and they have to play 4 games to qualify for the semi finals.

That would mean you have to push the semi finals wouldn't start until late June. Or start earlier.

The new system will let the Canadian Championship grow more easily with the sport.

This is a good thing over all.

koolvid12
04-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I like the move.

LFC8
04-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Tell me how Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador all get more berths than Canada? Their leagues are shite!

mowe
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Tell me how Costa Rica, Panama, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador all get more berths than Canada? Their leagues are shite!

And Canada doesn't have a league.

gate7
04-03-2014, 10:47 PM
that will change....remember we only had 2 pro teams with none in the MLS not too long ago.

Cashcleaner
04-03-2014, 11:31 PM
Not entirely sure I like this news. The CS does concede that we're going to have see some short-term confusion for long-term benefits, but I like things like this to be straight-forward and with as little ambiguity as possible. I guess most importantly, I liked how winning the V-Cup didn't just mean you got to have your club's name put on a trophy - but rather it gave your team a ticket for Champions League as well.

mowe
04-04-2014, 01:04 AM
I guess most importantly, I liked how winning the V-Cup didn't just mean you got to have your club's name put on a trophy - but rather it gave your team a ticket for Champions League as well.

This will continue to be the case. Only difference is the winner qualifies for the next year's CCL. Winning the 2014 V Cup enters you into the 2014 CCL group stage. With this rule change, the winner of the 2015 V Cup qualifies for the 2016 CCL.

The switch creates a gap for the 2015 CCL, and using MLS standings to determine Canada's entry is not ideal but it's worth the change. A summer tournament is much better for NASL teams, and in the future we can incorporate D-3 teams as well.

Cashcleaner
04-04-2014, 02:13 AM
^ Ah, I gotcha. Yeah, that makes much more sense than what I was thinking.

Well then, I'm in for these changes. :thumbsup: