PDA

View Full Version : Any TFC fans in Wellington?

Waggy
03-21-2014, 03:43 AM
Sorry if this threads in the wrong spot (mods feel free to move if it is). Just moved to Wellington NZ, going to be going out to watch the match on Sunday/basically every match (I'm assuming they'll be on TV here, if for no other reason than Nelsen). Any other reds supporters around?

prizby
03-21-2014, 08:47 AM
saw a few on twitter chatting about the dempsey ball tap...fans more because brocks played there i think

Waggy
03-21-2014, 07:24 PM
I'll check the twitters. Thanks. Yeah I figured there'd be a few for that reason too. Worst case I figure a few may show up at the Pheonix game next week if they recognize the scarf/jacket

Yohan
03-21-2014, 07:44 PM
Search for yellow fever. Wellington phoenix supporters. A lot them have passing interest in MLS due to kiwis in NA soccer

Red CB Toronto
03-21-2014, 07:59 PM
The Reds have more than a few ties to the NZ national team, Brockie, Boyens, Nelson, Smith, Oughton. Good to see interest from around the World.

RedSteph
03-24-2014, 03:11 PM
There's a guy named @RyansRovers who follows TFC and lives in Wellington. We are hoping to be moving to New Zealand (Napier) this fall. Would love to know how you like it there, Waggy. What's your name on twitter? I'm @stephgunther

Waggy
03-25-2014, 03:45 AM
There's a guy named @RyansRovers who follows TFC and lives in Wellington. We are hoping to be moving to New Zealand (Napier) this fall. Would love to know how you like it there, Waggy. What's your name on twitter? I'm @stephgunther

Ah cool, I'm @neverlecture

Only been here about 10 days now but the place is amazing. Cost of living (in Wellington anyway) is about the same as in Toronto, maybe a bit less, but pay is higher. Job markets great. People are really nice. Bar scene has been a blast so far. I totally see why the people who come don't end up leaving. Only downside is the rain/wind. This afternoon is was beautiful out so I took a walk around the bay. When I left at 5pm is was about 23 and EXTREMELY sunny. After walking about 45 min I saw some clouds in the distance. Another 20 min the winds kicked up. Another 30 min and it just started POURING rain. Then it stopped. Then it started. Then it stopped. The weather turns like Miami in the summer, just without the humidity and more temperate. That's really the only downside. And comparing that to -20 and snow is laughable. Apparently the sports culture isn't great here though. In the next few weeks I'm going to check out the Phoenix, the Hurricanes (rugby) and the basketball, so I'll have a better idea. Everyones told me though that people here just aren't that into watching sports, and are fairly passive when they do.

RedSteph
03-25-2014, 01:30 PM
I sent you a follow request. What brought you to Wellington?
I'll be sending in my permanent residency application in May. Will have to wait and see what happens. My husband's a citizen, but I'm not, and I have a heart condition, so we're not sure if they'll approve the application. If they do, we'll be selling our condo late summer, and look to be in NZ by the fall. The weather in Napier is supposed to be great, and it's a smaller city, so cheaper than "Welly" or Auckland.
I hear that rugby is huge there. I think that the Phoenix team draws around 6K or so, but if they are losing, then less people come out. Apparently, it's really unlikely that they'll make it to their playoffs this season. I think there are only 2 or 3 games left. Another thing about the Phoenix, they sometimes take their home games "on the road", so they play in different NZ cities. I'm on the Yellow Fever site, but haven't posted in ages. Too busy!

Waggy
03-25-2014, 05:16 PM
My sisters been out here for a few years and was trying to talk me into coming. Few months ago I left my job at home and decided I wanted to do something different, was either going to move out west, up north or down here. Ended up picking the place without winter. Thus far, super happy with the decision.

Rugby is huge. It's just apparently not in the kiwi nature to yell/scream/heckle outside of the supporters end for the soccer team. Even at all blacks games, the crowd is quiet during the haka (I assumed they would all yell along), and only really cheer after tri's.

Also as I mentioned in the BMO reno thread, putting a bowl stadium on the shores of a bay in a city that gets winds in the 100km+ range regularly (like yesterday), and frequent rain may not have been the smartest idea. Keeps attendance low. But that's just what people have told me. I'll reserve judgement till I can see it for myself.

JamboAl
03-25-2014, 08:57 PM
If you get the chance, although it's a little late in the year now, but cricket at the Basin Reserve is a must.

RedSteph
03-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Was it difficult to get in to NZ in terms of Visa? I'm hearing that it used to be easier.
Funny about them being so quiet at games. I would have thought that All Blacks games would have been REALLY loud. Hopefully the Phoenix, or "Nix" as they call them, will do better next season and bring in more supporters.

Waggy
03-26-2014, 01:42 AM
If you get the chance, although it's a little late in the year now, but cricket at the Basin Reserve is a must.

I was actually supposed to be going today for Auckland v Wellington, but wound up on a date instead. Hopefully next week. What a beautiful little park though. I walked around it a few days ago, reminds me of those old school AAA baseball diamonds.

@redsteph It was SUPER easy. Applied online, it took 2 business days to be approved, and then another day or 2 for them to email me the visa. And I'm hoping for that as well. Again, all my info is 2nd hand so I can't say if that's the case for sure or not. But it does seem to be consensus amongst people I've asked.

speckles
03-28-2014, 12:00 PM
There is a group of ex-pats working on the rebuild in Christchurch and some interested kiwis which makes quite a group, so let me know if you make it down south anytime.

Waggy
03-28-2014, 04:29 PM
There is a group of ex-pats working on the rebuild in Christchurch and some interested kiwis which makes quite a group, so let me know if you make it down south anytime.

Sweet! I'll definitely be heading to the south island in the next few months. Can't wait to explore down there. I'll make sure I'm in Christchurch on a match day.