PDA

View Full Version : More MLS DPs

C.Ronaldo
03-20-2014, 02:16 PM
When Defoe was announced I expected the rest of the league to sign some bigger names...then Bradley came, I expected even more names. (especially Mtl)

We have seen some teams pick up affordable DPS but not show stoppers.

Do you think the ball just got rolling or is this what we can expect? Only a few teams with big name players, and the remainder with $1-$2M dollar DPs

Waggy
03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
When Defoe was announced I expected the rest of the league to sign some bigger names...then Bradley came, I expected even more names. (especially Mtl)

Do you think the ball just got rolling or is this what we can expect? Only a few teams with big name players, and the remainder with $1-$2M dollar DPs

There are only a handful of clubs willing to spend like that on players at this point. Also some MLS markets would have a tougher time convincing a player to move there. Nothing against a city like Philly or Kansas City, which are great, and everything against that shit hole Columbus, but would you move from Rome or London there? Even if the money is about the same or a bit more? They'd have to overpay like crazy. It wouldn't be worth it for most players

tfcleeds
03-20-2014, 02:19 PM
I expect we'll see more big names over the next few years - beginning with next year and NYCFC entering the league. There will be a new CBA as well, which may allow for more DPs.

ryan
03-20-2014, 02:46 PM

I could be wrong but I just don't think anyone else in the league (that can add DP's to their roster) really have the finances or team to do what we're doing. It's not just us having Bogers money, it's having world class infrastructure, a world class city (as long as Ford Nation fucks off sooner rather than later), and incredible fan support.

There's very few teams in MLS who can boast the assets clubs like Toronto have. Can't expect them to be on even terms with player acquisition. Teams like us, NYRB, LA, NYCFC will set the bar, the other clubs will get the Tier 2 players to try and keep up.

brad
03-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I expect we'll see more big names over the next few years - beginning with next year and NYCFC entering the league. There will be a new CBA as well, which may allow for more DPs.

Rumors are that the NYCFC are going to change the game yet again with the quality of DP's coming in, and it wouldn't surprise me. I fully expect them to bring in a couple of top, top players that could play for pretty much any club in the World. Like break the bank for someone like Cavani or Falcao.

Ultra & Proud
03-20-2014, 03:06 PM
I am expecting Kaka in Florida and Puyol in NY.

I still think someone will fork over DP bucks for Altidore when he gets dumped at the end of the EPL season. You know, part of the whole getting the USMNT back in their own league initiative.

mowe
03-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah NYCFC are guaranteed 2-3 top level DPs. I'm interested to see if Orlando might splash some cash. They have the money, but then again every MLS team is owned by a billionaire, doesn't mean they want to spend it. I bet Miami will get some high-profile names, if only because it's the most attractive city for foreign players.

If Chivas gets bought by the right owner they have potential to be another "super club". It could be exciting times ahead for MLS with potentially 7 teams with marquee players.

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
Yeah NYCFC are guaranteed 2-3 top level DPs. I'm interested to see if Orlando might splash some cash. They have the money, but then again every MLS team is owned by a billionaire, doesn't mean they want to spend it. I bet Miami will get some high-profile names, if only because it's the most attractive city for foreign players.

If Chivas gets bought by the right owner they have potential to be another "super club". It could be exciting times ahead for MLS with potentially 7 teams with marquee players.

You can bet Orlando ends up with Kaka.

brad
03-20-2014, 03:36 PM

You can also bet that Beckham's name, reputation and connections will help in this.

tfcleeds
03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Rumors are that the NYCFC are going to change the game yet again with the quality of DP's coming in, and it wouldn't surprise me. I fully expect them to bring in a couple of top, top players that could play for pretty much any club in the World. Like break the bank for someone like Cavani or Falcao. Call me crazy, but Falcao could very well happen. He's unsettled with Monaco. One would assume that he'd still have European ambitions, but if NYCFC parked a Brinks truck outside his house.....who knows?

Super
03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
It really depends on whether or not you HAVE to secure big name DPs to win the league. Maybe eventually it'll just be the way it works - and the league will break into the have and have-not. This would be excellent for football. The trick would then be to keep the small markets alive so we can continue to have a league - but it will definitely mean that the MLS would be respected more and the quality of play would be immensely improved. It's all about how it's done I guess.

Initial B
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
I can see maybe one more DP in the offering, but with the condition that of those 4 DPs, one must be domestic and one must be a Young DP. That should hopefully be all they need for now until the Salary cap increases to the point DPs aren't necessary. That said, the Salary cap had better increase to at least $5 million in 2015 with a 5% cap/salary increase for every year following if they ever hope to become a go-to destination league. Ten years from now, the Salary Cap should be at least 10 million.

Yohan
03-20-2014, 04:19 PM
I expect some more DPs post WC.

Shway
03-20-2014, 05:01 PM
NYCFC has the chance to cheat legally. What I mean by that is, they will have 3 dps maybe 4 in the new CBA, and if we're going off of MCFCs track record...they will be big. On top of that, they have the option of being loaned 4 players from MCFC which can potentially be dp players but count towards the cap ala Julio Cesar. Thats 7-8 "top class" players that will more than likely start. If the league doesn't set guidelines, and I mean clear ones...it's almost a given that NYCFC will be an instant success.

Pint
03-20-2014, 05:06 PM
NYCFC has the chance to cheat legally. What I mean by that is, they will have 3 dps maybe 4 in the new CBA, and if we're going off of MCFCs track record...they will be big. On top of that, they have the option of being loaned 4 players from MCFC which can potentially be dp players but count towards the cap ala Julio Cesar. Thats 7-8 "top class" players that will more than likely start. If the league doesn't set guidelines, and I mean clear ones...it's almost a given that NYCFC will be an instant success.

I don't think the loan situation can be done... if an MLS team has a parent club any player loaned by the parent club will be considered at the actual rate not just what they pay? I think this was done when Torres was brought into Chivas

gdg_9
03-20-2014, 05:41 PM

I don't think the loan situation can be done... if an MLS team has a parent club any player loaned by the parent club will be considered at the actual rate not just what they pay? I think this was done when Torres was brought into Chivas

Alexei Lalas tweeted about this a couple weeks ago (or maybe it was Taylor Twellman?)
Basically MLS introduced a new rule to prevent this situation. If a related club loans a player, that players entire salary counts towards the cap, regardless of which club is actually paying it.

brad
03-20-2014, 07:07 PM
^^Smart.

brad
03-20-2014, 07:10 PM
So watch City sign 4 big player - give them a massive signing bonus and a salary of $45k/ year.

J/K. Having City carry the costs for big name players makes no sense to them as it hurts them with the Fair Play rules.

What we will see is young taken on loan from them - which could still be really solid caliber.

Abou Sky
03-20-2014, 10:03 PM
Call me crazy, but Falcao could very well happen. He's unsettled with Monaco. One would assume that he'd still have European ambitions, but if NYCFC parked a Brinks truck outside his house.....who knows?

I was so disappointed when Falcao went to Monaco, he is obviously 100% concerned with highest bidder so MLS may see him.

brad
03-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I was so disappointed when Falcao went to Monaco, he is obviously 100% concerned with highest bidder so MLS may see him.

There was more to te story than that. So dodgy 3rd party owner ship dealing were part if the move. Can't remember the details though.

Areathrasher
03-20-2014, 10:23 PM
NYCFC arent going to be able to loan Aguero for 45k a year or any type of shenanigans like that. As Man City are their parent club they have to pay full whack. Lalas confirmed around the time Cesar came in.

Kreis is looking at loaning some Man City players but they will be from the City u-21's.

Red Bulls will get a big name post WC.

ginkster88
03-20-2014, 10:28 PM
So how are we allowed to have Cesar at 6M?

Pookie
03-20-2014, 10:31 PM
The type of DP question is interesting to me. Outside of Defoe and Dempsey, most teams in the league are opting to bring in younger players with that designation over the last few years.

From a football perspective, I think that is the smarter route. A young DP, if scouted well, could give a club 10 years of quality play with many of those years on the upside of his career. A player like Defoe (or Danny K and Frings before him) probably has a good 2-4 years left in the tank and will have to dodge injury to be effective.

At the same time, this is a business and some markets need the cache that the names bring. Toronto was in danger of dropping in the 10 to 12k range in season tickets. If they stuck with Laba and Urutti, there is no way this season is as hyped as it is. They get Defoe and they immediately convert "casuals and tourists" into paying customers. TFC is the "event to be seen at" again. They aren't buying if Laba and Urutti are the names being sold.

Other markets like NY are going to need that as well. Miami does have Beckham in the front office but likely needs a name as well to get them off the ground.

Whether that translates into winning, I don't know. The SKCs and RSLs of the league still dominate and younger, stable foundations seem like the better way to go if football is the main objective.

Areathrasher
03-20-2014, 10:34 PM
So how are we allowed to have Cesar at 6M?

Because QPR aren't TFC's parent club.

No conflict of interest.

brad
03-21-2014, 10:56 AM
The type of DP question is interesting to me. Outside of Defoe and Dempsey, most teams in the league are opting to bring in younger players with that designation over the last few years.

From a football perspective, I think that is the smarter route. A young DP, if scouted well, could give a club 10 years of quality play with many of those years on the upside of his career. A player like Defoe (or Danny K and Frings before him) probably has a good 2-4 years left in the tank and will have to dodge injury to be effective.
At the same time, this is a business and some markets need the cache that the names bring. Toronto was in danger of dropping in the 10 to 12k range in season tickets. If they stuck with Laba and Urutti, there is no way this season is as hyped as it is. They get Defoe and they immediately convert "casuals and tourists" into paying customers. TFC is the "event to be seen at" again. They aren't buying if Laba and Urutti are the names being sold.

Other markets like NY are going to need that as well. Miami does have Beckham in the front office but likely needs a name as well to get them off the ground.

Whether that translates into winning, I don't know. The SKCs and RSLs of the league still dominate and younger, stable foundations seem like the better way to go if football is the main objective.

I disagree with this. From a football perspective it makes the most sense to bring in the best DP that you can in their prime (in their mid to late 20's). The key I think is to try and get a DP that will be at their peak for the duration of their DP contract, and not be saddled with with someone past their prime and/or injury prone in the latter years. Laba vs Bradley is a perfect example. Each player represents one side of the argument, but I suspect you would hard pressed to find too many people that would suggest that we should have gone with Laba over Bradley. Defoe I agree though presents a risk in a couple of years time.

MLS is not a league where you build teams that last over time - squad turnover is heavy. Although hopefully we start to see that changing.

I do agree that you build off a stable foundation and use DP's as the cherry on top, but I still think it makes the most sense to utilize the DP slots with the best players possible. Of course, the lesser cap hit for young DP's plays a role here that I am not factoring in. I still question whether 3 DP's at full cap hit is still best use of the salary cap over the course of the season. It's definitely a high risk/high reward proposition. We shall see...

brad
03-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Actually, thinking about it while typing above, you really have 3 brackets.

1: Young DP, up and coming (under 24 or 25)
2: In their prime, at or approaching their peak and will be there for the durtion of their contract (~ 25 to 28)
3: End of their prime or tail end (over 28)

Teams have gone for 3 initially as those are the only players that would come. The young DP tag made 1 become more appealing, and teams have started bringing in those types of player that never would have been a DP before.

2 is the type of DP a few years ago we all would have thought impossible. It's becoming a reality, it takes a lot of money, but more teams have that money and are willing to invest it. To me, this is where the DP's should be from if you have the money to do it.

Pookie
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
I disagree with this. From a football perspective it makes the most sense to bring in the best DP that you can in their prime (in their mid to late 20's). The key I think is to try and get a DP that will be at their peak for the duration of their DP contract, and not be saddled with with someone past their prime and/or injury prone in the latter years. Laba vs Bradley is a perfect example. Each player represents one side of the argument, but I suspect you would hard pressed to find too many people that would suggest that we should have gone with Laba over Bradley. Defoe I agree though presents a risk in a couple of years time.

MLS is not a league where you build teams that last over time - squad turnover is heavy. Although hopefully we start to see that changing.

I do agree that you build off a stable foundation and use DP's as the cherry on top, but I still think it makes the most sense to utilize the DP slots with the best players possible. Of course, the lesser cap hit for young DP's plays a role here that I am not factoring in. I still question whether 3 DP's at full cap hit is still best use of the salary cap over the course of the season. It's definitely a high risk/high reward proposition. We shall see...

I like your categories. I guess I look at it from a team building perspective.

I see your (26-29 Prime) category for a team that feels it can win now and conceivably for the next couple of years. They will likely pay a big price to attract players away from better leagues in their prime. If they pay less, it may be because the player has some other issue that sees a team willing to give them up in their prime (attitude, injury, etc).

I see the (<25 Young) category as were I would put my money if I were building a team for the long term. A younger player is likely cheaper than a Prime DP but if scouted well, has nothing but upside and an upgrade on my current skill set.

The Veteran (+30) group is strictly for a 1-2 season run at it. Incredibly expensive and massive injury risk. Great for selling tickets to casual fans though.

A look at the current ages of the DPs signed over the last 2 years shows a Clear trend towards younger and some might say latin type players.

ag futbol
03-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Alexei Lalas tweeted about this a couple weeks ago (or maybe it was Taylor Twellman?)
Basically MLS introduced a new rule to prevent this situation. If a related club loans a player, that players entire salary counts towards the cap, regardless of which club is actually paying it.
Which totally explains Julio Cesar :/

I hope there is a little more finesse to it than that. Hopefully it only applies to related entities or has some kind of smell test it has to pass, otherwise they'll miss out on good players because of inflexibility.