PDA

View Full Version : We're Making Progress...

Carts
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
This may be a little off topic with the match coming tomorrow - but I thought it was something I would share...

For those that think we're alone in our support for TFC in Toronto (with the lack of mainstream media coverage), we're not alone, and we're making progress...

Myself and Mrs. Carts were sitting in the Tudor Arms in Pickering tonight, having a pint or two as we're both on vacation currently when a TFC vs Montreal preview 'bumper' appeared on the big screen TV (Sportsnet)...

I did the expected "...I love JC, can't wait to hear this rant..." to Mrs. Carts, then from the other side of the bar a deep Scottish accent I hear "...you a fan of the lads...?" I answer yes right away, and instantly myself, the gentleman who yelled across, Mrs. Carts, and three other guys who jumped in are into a discussion about our boys...

One of them has a son who is "desperate" to get season tickets, the others are old transplated Brits who are loving the fact the Toronto has "a team"... They watch the matches, they talked about some of our lads (didn't know everything, but enough that you could tell they've paid attention to at least a few games) and were saying "...gotta beat Montreal tomorrow..."

Its not much, but its a sign that TFC are breaking into the old guard of football fans in Toronto... Its a sign that its more than just us, the loud and proud supporters, that care what happens down at BMO...

The more people the watch, the more people that care, the more poeple that give even half a second of thought = the more coverage we'll get, and the more we'll grow...

It was great - it was something only a Leafs or Jays fan would have happen in a bar like that just two years ago - now its us...

Ok, back to discussions about real grass (which came up in this bar chat) and Montreal...

Carts...

Bluenose13
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
Cart's pimping TFC 24/7 well done :D

Shaughno
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
It's shit like that.... that makes you remember why you bust your balls for 90+mins. ;)

Roogsy
07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I am actually surprised that the TV ratings are not higher. But I am thinking that will happen with time. Perhaps it's the fact that people are not familiar with the schedule yet. But I have to agree with Carts. All over the city we are seeing signs that this team has had an impact. For one, everyone knows what TFC is. Also, I am constantly hearing it on the radio. And thankfully, we do have some friends in the media. Maybe not at the Star. But in other, even less likely places.

Like Z103.5. (Not that I am admitting listening to it....ok....maybe I am! LOL!) There have been several times that the DJ's, especially on the morning show, have mentioned Toronto FC. Apparently Dave, from the morning show is a big fan and is always pumping up TFC on his own. Danny Dichio made an appearance at the Summer Rush at Wonderland this weekend and Dave talked about it all week, they even had him on the show! Even though the main guy on the show (Scott Fox) was ridiculously ignorant abou€t TFC, even he did try.

Dave from the morning show mentioned that when they brought Danny Dichio on stage, he got a raucous welcome from the crowd and even HE was surprised. That brought chills to my spine.

Stuff like that can only do wonders for promoting TFC in this town.

For tomorrow's game, I gave 2 of my tickets to colleagues who are in town from Alberta and Nova Scotia. They went to the game on Saturday and were dying to see another game, so they got 2 of my tickets for tomorrow. If guys from other provinces are hearing about TFC and want to experience it...how much moreso the local Toronto fan?

This is just the beginning folks. All we need is a dominant team, and the sky is the limit!

TFC FAN72
07-21-2008, 11:46 PM
LOL, who are those other teams you speak of? LOl JK.:D

Good to see that word is getting out and hopefully we get noticed as much for our on field product as well as the support given for such a young franchise.

I for one am kicking myself for not securing season's tickets right away as I had no idea that it would be so tough now to get them after only it's second year in the league.

Sonny Cheeba
07-22-2008, 12:00 AM
scottish people are great.

Keystone FC
07-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Not to mention we a gaining Yank supporters as well. I have a friend in Pittsburgh who is about to become a supporter of TFC and on BS (I Know) there is a guy in Georgia (the state not the country) who is a TFC fan as well. Little by little the Red Menece is spreading.

Oldtimer
07-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Also, the article yesterday showing that there are 8,000 on the season ticket waiting list. Given that the average person buys 2+ tickets, that means we could fill a second BMO Field.

Parkdale
07-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Here's something I've found.... wear TFC gear (jersey or scarf) around for a day, and you will get stopped at least twice by strangers who are into the team. I've never seen leafs nation fans strike up conversations on the street.

Roogsy
07-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Or asked about the game...if there was one that day.

mclaren
07-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Here's something I've found.... wear TFC gear (jersey or scarf) around for a day, and you will get stopped at least twice by strangers who are into the team. I've never seen leafs nation fans strike up conversations on the street.

I know! That happens all the time - I get stopped at least a couple of times when wearing the famous shirt. I think people think of TFC as a friendlier, less-corporate team and I think it helps that football is the sport of most immigrant's home countries.

Shaughno
07-22-2008, 07:29 AM

It amazes me how much recognition there is OUTSIDE of Toronto. Almost every time I wear my jersey/hat/sweater out, people have stopped me to strike up conversation about the team. Some more in tune with the team than others, but it's great to see that the team is being noticed.

Mrs. Workie
07-22-2008, 07:36 AM

I've noticed this too. I remember last year thinking it was awesome that there were people outside these supporters groups that got as excited about TFC as I did.

One of the first things my dad commented on when I brough him to the Home Opener was the camaraderie between fans. He said we had this kind of brotherhood- complete strangers coming together for one purpose.

NF-FC
07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
It amazes me how much recognition there is OUTSIDE of Toronto. Almost every time I wear my jersey/hat/sweater out, people have stopped me to strike up conversation about the team. Some more in tune with the team than others, but it's great to see that the team is being noticed.

Even here in Niagara I see at least 1 person wearing something TFC everday. The real fun is when i see people on vacation wearing other teams gear. I saw an old dude wearing a first season RSL jersey the other day at work. The whole league seems to be becoming more mainstream, but no doubt that we lead the pack

Gobi
07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
My sister gets stopped in Whitby regularly when she's wearing her gear. She's asked, with awe, "Are you a Red Patch Boy? Ooh, that's soooo cool!".

I frequently get little beepbeeps from passing cars, presumably because of my TFC car flag. Perks me up.

Mrs. Workie
07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
I frequently get little beepbeeps from passing cars, presumably because of my TFC car flag. Perks me up.

We put our scarf on our Dash when driving into games- we've gotten honks and waves as well.

NF-FC
07-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Some asshole tried peeling off one of my RPB stickers on my car, i need to get a new one now (if there is any still kickin around)

Tintin
07-22-2008, 07:50 AM
I agree that Fan support is great and fun but the TV ratings are really really really lousy. For Saturdays match only 75 000 watched the game on CBC compare to 150 000 for the F1 race from Germany at 8 AM! So, TFC has a long way to go yet.

Of course, it would help if CBC and the other carriers would do a better job at advertising their games...

And, if the team would start winning…Tonight is key because if TFC looses, the marginal fan will stop watching the games.

Mrs. Workie
07-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Like Z103.5. (Not that I am admitting listening to it....ok....maybe I am! LOL!)

Wayback Wednesday what?? :p

brad
07-22-2008, 08:01 AM

I wore my Jersey in Saskatoon in June of 2007, and was surprised that I had people commenting on it there.

Ladies Love Julius James
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I agree that Fan support is great and fun but the TV ratings are really really really lousy. For Saturdays match only 75 000 watched the game on CBC compare to 150 000 for the F1 race from Germany at 8 AM! So, TFC has a long way to go yet.

Of course, it would help if CBC and the other carriers would do a better job at advertising their games...

And, if the team would start winning…Tonight is key because if TFC looses, the marginal fan will stop watching the games.

You got a link with all the ratings. I love to see how it all compares.

Tintin
07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
I am looking for a link. I heard it on the The FAn radio but did not catch the source. Also in the same topic, it is ridiculous that CBC ins showing the game on Bold and not on the main Channel. The game wont grow without proper mainstream TV in HD!

dag
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM
OP, your story warms my heart.

But I think we still have a ways to go. We can all relate stories of getting reactions from a stranger whilst wearing a TFC item or two. I myself have gotten several the last few months. But, at least it seemed to me with my experience, the reactions were from soccer fans - people who have a passion for the sport or at least enjoy the Premier League and Champions Leage games on television. These people are the low-hanging fruit in building a broader TFC fanbase in the region.

The other week I was watching the first half of the TFC-Chicago game at Moxie's. The (bimbo) waitress told me "I didn't know until this year that Toronto has a soccer team! Hee hee! Can I get you another glass?"

Then again, maybe we needn't worry about those like her. ;)

brad
07-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Are we talking ratings across Canada, or just in GTA? If it's overall, that doesn't at all surprise me. F1 far more established than TFC and going to draw more viewers from other areas of Canada than TFC.

The feeds from away games are so crappy that that is going to turn a lot of people off. On those. Throw in some of the "Mamborific" commentators, and I even have a hard time watching them.

More HD feeds of home games from CBC would help.

Agree about winning being key, disagree about the marginal fan stopping watching. I'd bet most of those people aren't aware of the importance of tonights match. If they were, I doubt there would still be tickets for sale.

One other I think will drive the popularity of this team - playoffs. When we make them, it will take this team to a new level. Of course there will be tons of bandwagon jumpers that will disappear as quickly as they came, but some are bound to stick around.

All said, things are looking damn good after halfway through the second season. Way better than I'd ever dreamed of.

RealG-TFC
07-22-2008, 08:24 AM
I was in Playa Del Carmen Mexico and my TFC jersey brought up a short conversation twice.

The first time was a Mexican employee at a gift shop. He saw the MLS badge on the side and asked me what team it was. I told him Toronto.

The second time was this random tourist guy in a bikini shop. :noidea:

Tintin
07-22-2008, 08:41 AM
All said, things are looking damn good after halfway through the second season. Way better than I'd ever dreamed of.[/quote]

I agree! But we need to keep the momentum.

The numbers are Canada wide. 75 000 is not alot...

Yohan
07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Like Z103.5. (Not that I am admitting listening to it....ok....maybe I am! LOL!) There have been several times that the DJ's, especially on the morning show, have mentioned Toronto FC. Apparently Dave, from the morning show is a big fan and is always pumping up TFC on his own. Danny Dichio made an appearance at the Summer Rush at Wonderland this weekend and Dave talked about it all week, they even had him on the show! Even though the main guy on the show (Scott Fox) was ridiculously ignorant abou€t TFC, even he did try.

Dave from the morning show mentioned that when they brought Danny Dichio on stage, he got a raucous welcome from the crowd and even HE was surprised. That brought chills to my spine.

Stuff like that can only do wonders for promoting TFC in this town.

Oh god. I should laugh at you for listening to z103 :D

You need to get satellite radio or just burn a lot of cds with good music man.

dupont
07-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Everytime I'm in the UK I get some people coming up to me and giving me props for wearing a TFC shirt. Especially in London and Glasgow I got a lot of comments.

Carts
07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Just think though, 75,000 isn't far behind the 105,000 the Raptors pulled in for some of their games nationally THIS SEASON...

Once upon a time they too were getting low Canadian numbers (and still are in comparison to the "4 major sports")...

The audience will grow... One network in particular needs to embrace and cover the team better to make that happen...

I receive the daily numbers for all programs, and Toronto FC broadcasts on CBC are beating non-Canadian team NBA broadcasts (other than the finals) most weeks (different carrier)...

Carts...

rocker
07-22-2008, 09:54 AM
i read somewhere that Montreal Limp Act ratings are very good in Quebec.
you get them in MLS and you then create a bigger national footprint for soccer. Toronto-Montreal games on CBC would then be more highly rated than many sporting events and would cultivate an audience that might come back for more (Tor-NY, MTL-CHI etc).

Tintin
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks Carts for the info. I did not know that the Raptors only drew 105 000. WOW. I guess this is a Hockey country...

The impact draw ver well on French CBC SRC. The games are usally on Sunday at 3:30 on Channel 12 if you are inetrested...

kodiakTFC
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
The fact Montreal isn't in the MLS kind of boggles my mind. They have everything required and more to be brought in the league!

1. Good Ratings
2. Stadium
3. Ridiculous USL attendance (13k)
4. Good Ownership group (Saputo and gillette)
5. Soccer History & passion

Montreal is a sports city, if they got a team I can promise you they would have the same success if not more! I live in Montreal during the school year and let me tell you, THERE IS INTEREST. My friends talk about how they wish they had a team and that Toronto is lucky etc.

Tintin
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Agrred. With Gilette on board, MLS does not have a choice to fasttrack their entry...It's coming sooner than later. I would bet on it! 2010 or 2011 at the latest.

noochie
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, the exclusivity deal runs out after the 2009 season is complete. So we could be seeing possibly 2 teams coming into the league at the same time one of them being a Canadian franchise. Don't count out Vancouver with a renovated stadium and Steve Nash backing, but Montreal with Gillette and Saputo would also be appealing to the league.