PDA

View Full Version : Dempsey suspended for 2 games

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Douche face gets what's coming

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1998209-clint-dempsey-suspended-two-matches-for-punching-mark-bloom

I'm glad it was for more than one game. Personally, I think he should have got three, but I'll take this.

TFC07
03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Good. I was afraid that league will look other way to protect their golden child (Seattle).

ManUtd4ever
03-19-2014, 10:26 AM
Pleasantly surprised the league acted accordingly considering it was their poster boy.

cmonyoureds
03-19-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm just happy they gave him two.
I really wouldn't have put it past MLS to give him "warning as to future conduct" because he's one of the "faces" of the league.

RealG-TFC
03-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Only gave him two so he could play the Timbers I bet.

OgtheDim
03-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I would not be suprised if a make up call on Jackson happens in the next few weeks.

Suds
03-19-2014, 10:53 AM
ball smacker!!

Initial B
03-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Pleasantly surprised the league acted accordingly considering it was their poster boy.Well now Bradley is the new poster boy. Argueably more successful than Dempsey was in Europe.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Being as he has scored twice in 11 MLS games I'm sure Seattle is relieved. Then again he only really starts about 2/3 of the time. has 2 goals from 39 shots.. only 8 of which are actually on target and has one assist.

I think he may be the US JDG

That being said.. I think it may have actually been a silly accident.. but he was such a douche the rest of the game.. good.

Oldtimer
03-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Douche face gets what's coming

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1998209-clint-dempsey-suspended-two-matches-for-punching-mark-bloom

I'm glad it was for more than one game. Personally, I think he should have got three, but I'll take this.

:flare::flare::flare:

I think he may be the US JDG

A bit harsh, but he's a lot more like JDG than he is like Michael Bradley.

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Also regarding the match, found some gems when browsing the Seattle subreddit:
(http://www.reddit.com/r/SoundersFC/comments/20if0t/seattle_sounders_vs_toronto_fc_postgame/)

Martins is an amazing player, much better than Defoe

He (Bradley) played decently from a defensive standpoint but he didn't control the game as much as I would have expected.

He (Bradley) was absolutely no match for Alonso.

BuSaPuNk
03-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Also regarding the match, found some gems when browsing the Seattle subreddit:
(http://www.reddit.com/r/SoundersFC/comments/20if0t/seattle_sounders_vs_toronto_fc_postgame/)

Usual homer shite.

Probably same guys saying Dempsey shouldn't get suspended as well.

RealG-TFC
03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
How about this for homer shite.
http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/19/jurgen-klinsmann-expresses-concern-over-fouling-usmnt-captain-clint-dempsey-

Kaz
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
:flare::flare::flare:

A bit harsh, but he's a lot more like JDG than he is like Michael Bradley.

Well Dempsey is being played as a AM where JDG was a DM for TFC. But honestly for the money difference it's apt comparison.

The position and money Dempsey is getting he should be getting Dero 2010 numbers not Dero non DP worth numbers from Houston.

Dero
2010 - 27 games 24 starts 15 goals 3 assists 72 Shots 36 On Goal.
2008 - 24 games 22 starts 7 goals 2 assists 74 Shots 34 On Goal

Dempsey
Total - 11 games 7 starts 2 goals 1 assist 39 shots 8 On Goal.

Mr_gamble
03-19-2014, 12:18 PM
How about this for homer shite.
http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/19/jurgen-klinsmann-expresses-concern-over-fouling-usmnt-captain-clint-dempsey-

Imagine that? A soccer player, who is probably one of the better players in the league, getting fouled? Because thats never happened. Ever.

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 12:25 PM
haha, that's funny.

Maybe he's getting fouled because he's so obviously a hot head.

JuliquE
03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
haha, that's funny.

Maybe he's getting fouled because he's so obviously a hot head.
Exactly; he attracts the attention, when people realize they might could get under his skin, being so unprofessional as he is.

For me, it doesn't seem fair that the team to have been offended receives no benefit from the suspension, beyond whatever satisfaction/vindication there is to be had. I mean, he's suspended for two games against eastern conference opponents -- can't say that helps us, at all. Also gross to note that, conveniently enough, he returns in time for the league's favourite match-up, Sea v. Por.

I think that it would be an idea to make it so that, of however many games Dempsey would be suspended for, one of them must be (reserved) for when they play us, again.

Cashcleaner
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Moral of the story? Keep Clint Dempsey away from your genitals.

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4142651/dempseyballs.gif

GuelphStorm2007
03-19-2014, 01:00 PM
Good

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Imagine that? A soccer player, who is probably one of the better players in the league, getting fouled? Because thats never happened. Ever.
I would say his suspension and the level of fouling are two different issues.

We fouled him more than a half dozen times in the first half alone. It was clearly tactical, effective, and completely missed by the official. As much as he is on the soft side, I can understand the frustration. I don't tune it to watch a bunch of hatchet men take down the opposing teams best player and turn it into a boring match.

Picture Defoe being cleaned out that many times in his first game. We would have all collectively lost our shit.

Mr_gamble
03-19-2014, 01:47 PM

We fouled him more than a half dozen times in the first half alone. It was clearly tactical, effective, and completely missed by the official. As much as he is on the soft side, I can understand the frustration. I don't tune it to watch a bunch of hatchet men take down the opposing teams best player and turn it into a boring match.

Picture Defoe being cleaned out that many times in his first game. We would have all collectively lost our shit.

Yeah, I agree, we would have lost our shit, but I'm pretty sure Defoe would have just got on with his game. The players were just letting Dempsey know they were there, and probably trying to get under his skin. Clearly it worked. All I was getting at with that comment was that it happens every where. In every league. The best player from the team usually gets put under pressure and draws the most fouls. He just needs to calm down a bit and get on with his game. Be professional.

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I agree, we would have lost our shit, but I'm pretty sure Defoe would have just got on with his game. The players were just letting Dempsey know they were there, and probably trying to get under his skin. Clearly it worked. All I was getting at with that comment was that it happens every where. In every league. The best player from the team usually gets put under pressure and draws the most fouls. He just needs to calm down a bit and get on with his game. Be professional.
Oh I agree, everybody tries to do it, but an effective official manages the game to strike a balance. You see it in europe all the time. The other team tries to slow it down, but they have to be careful because at a certain point the officials reigns guys in and they now have to defend on yellow cards. That usually opens up the game again and makes it more interesting.

MLS there is simply no balance because the officiating quality is poor. This stuff has been going on since Catucomo Blanco was playing in Chicago.

Mr_gamble
03-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Oh I agree, everybody tries to do it, but an effective official manages the game to strike a balance. You see it in europe all the time. The other team tries to slow it down, but they have to be careful because at a certain point the officials reigns guys in and they now have to defend on yellow cards. That usually opens up the game again and makes it more interesting.

MLS there is simply no balance because the officiating quality is poor. This stuff has been going on since Catucomo Blanco was playing in Chicago.

Yeah, again, I agree with you. Just remember, its replacment refs at the moment ;).

One day the level of officiating will get up to par with Europe. I've seen some exceptionally poor officiating in MLS since I moved here a couple years back. It will get better and better at the league improves. I've no doubt. :)

Commie Red
03-19-2014, 02:03 PM

I agree with your general point -- but it does go both ways. Dempsey's "ball whacking" wasn't his only dirty play during the game. In fact, Simon Borg thinks Dempsey's kick to the back of the legs of Alvaro Rey (with no football in site) was more egregious than the ball whacking. It can be seen in this video (http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/03/18/simon-borg%E2%80%99s-verdict-dempsey-olave-bernadello-instant-replay) at the 6:12 mark. Borg thinks Dempsey should have been issued a red card for it.

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 02:10 PM
I agree with your general point -- but it does go both ways. Dempsey's "ball whacking" wasn't his only dirty play during the game. In fact, Simon Borg thinks Dempsey's kick to the back of the legs of Alvaro Rey (with no football in site) was more egregious than the ball whacking. It can be seen in this video (http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2014/03/18/simon-borg%E2%80%99s-verdict-dempsey-olave-bernadello-instant-replay) at the 6:12 mark. Borg thinks Dempsey should have been issued a red card for it.
Don't disagree at all.

Looking at that video though, you can just see tons of things are going unchecked. For example, they chastise Saborio for trying to strike out at a defender... but ignore he was completely cleaned out from behind with the player coming into him with both forearms placed on the back of Saborio's neck. Does it excuse his conduct? of course not. But lots of things develop in this league because officials fail to root them out at the source.

Mark in Ottawa
03-19-2014, 02:18 PM
Has MLS officially announced this??

__wowza
03-19-2014, 02:20 PM
Pleasantly surprised the league acted accordingly considering it was their poster boy.

we got bradley now. g:D

Yohan
03-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Has MLS officially announced this??
no.

and just be glad that Jackson didn't get a red card for kicking Dempsey either. let's not tempt karma

Redcoe15
03-19-2014, 05:02 PM
As I said recently, before the start of the World Cup, the USMNT should give the captaincy to Michael Bradley and not Cunt Dempsey-is-a-DoucheBAAAAAAG!!!!!

ensco
03-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I kind of respect Dempsey for dealing out his own justice, and not expecting someone else to do it for him (To be clear: I respect Bloom and Jackson more for getting in Dempsey's grill and getting Dempsey out of his game).

Two games feels harsh to me.

We don't understand TFC's interest here, if we're happy about this. We derive nothing from his missing the next two games.

This league has a horrible problem with allowing jokers to goon stars. We have a couple of stars now, and vigilante justice is pretty much the only answer in many MLS games.

This shoe will be on the other foot for us, soon.

Mr_gamble
03-19-2014, 06:16 PM
no.

and just be glad that Jackson didn't get a red card for kicking Dempsey either. let's not tempt karma

Yeah, this is a very good point. And we were lucky not to concede a penalty with Bloom. I dunno. I just dislike Dempsey because he seems a bit of a dick. I also thing Bradley would be a hell of a lot better for for USMNT captaincy. But Deuce is a hell of a player too. It's a shame he cant keep his temper down.

OgtheDim
03-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Although I agree that somebody is going to try to boot the knees out of Defoe and Bradly; and with Jackson, Rey and Caldwell around, they know what to expect back. The guy who goes after Cesar is going to get WWIII on his butt.

The days of somebody pushing us around are over.

Interestingly, the team that most people consider hard nosed, the Quakes, we play in early June; all our DP's will be at WC camp.

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Not Gilberto

LFC8
03-19-2014, 09:25 PM
I kind of respect Dempsey for dealing out his own justice, and not expecting someone else to do it for him (To be clear: I respect Bloom and Jackson more for getting in Dempsey's grill and getting Dempsey out of his game).

Agreed. If Dempsey was on our team i think alot of people would feel differently about him. Clearly he wasn't trying to whack the guy in the balls. It's the player's that dive and cheat that piss me off.

Suds
03-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Agreed. If Dempsey was on our team i think alot of people would feel differently about him. Clearly he wasn't trying to whack the guy in the balls. It's the player's that dive and cheat that piss me off.

I'd take Dempsey any day. But he's on another team so screw him. I'm glad he got two games. Ball smacker!! :)

LFC8
03-19-2014, 09:53 PM
^Haha, that's more like it!

Hamilton_Red
03-20-2014, 12:13 AM
For me 2 games is pretty harsh. 1 game max... One angle looks worse than the other...but it was hardly that violent and mostly luck that he tea bagged him. Caldwell's reaction is most telling IMO. Reff called a good game overall... I've seen much worse in #mls.

ryan
03-20-2014, 09:06 AM
I think that MLS might be sending a bit of a message to Dempsey.

He's absolutely one of the best talents this league has ever had but my god is his attitude so bloody piss poor. MLS/USSF have this guy as one of their poster boy's yet he acts like a fucking overgrown baby on the pitch. The biggest challenge for MLS is getting more TV viewership and having one of their top end players, one of the most marketable, being such a cunt on the field isn't going to flip people into wanting to continue to tune in.

His behaviour exemplifies why many of the non soccer watching North Americans don't watch....MLS just can't have that from him. Just watching him and Bradley on the field at the same time was night and day. MLS can sell passion and skill (Bradley).....they can't sell diving, moaning and nut punching (Dempsey).

As a hardcore supporter of the CMNT, I utterly despise our continental opposition...especially the Americans. I wasn't super thrilled when we acquired Bradley simply because of that fact. Yet after a single match of watching how he played for this club, my entire perspective changed. Full out man crush in effect here. When I have to see that bitch Dempsey on the screen I just want to look away.

Personally I think this suspension is more than just a punishment for the dick punch. I think they want him to grow up.

bangersandmash
03-20-2014, 09:26 AM
$100 million for players and they can't find $5 to buy Mark Bloom a cup?

MartinUtd
03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
You really want our players running around with cups on?

Jack
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM

He's absolutely one of the best talents this league has ever had but my god is his attitude so bloody piss poor. MLS/USSF have this guy as one of their poster boy's yet he acts like a fucking overgrown baby on the pitch. The biggest challenge for MLS is getting more TV viewership and having one of their top end players, one of the most marketable, being such a cunt on the field isn't going to flip people into wanting to continue to tune in.

His behaviour exemplifies why many of the non soccer watching North Americans don't watch....MLS just can't have that from him. Just watching him and Bradley on the field at the same time was night and day. MLS can sell passion and skill (Bradley).....they can't sell diving, moaning and nut punching (Dempsey).

As a hardcore supporter of the CMNT, I utterly despise our continental opposition...especially the Americans. I wasn't super thrilled when we acquired Bradley simply because of that fact. Yet after a single match of watching how he played for this club, my entire perspective changed. Full out man crush in effect here. When I have to see that bitch Dempsey on the screen I just want to look away.

Personally I think this suspension is more than just a punishment for the dick punch. I think they want him to grow up.
Very good assessment.

pdubs
03-20-2014, 10:20 AM

agree completely.

Mark in Ottawa
03-20-2014, 06:13 PM

I agree with this and think the league wants to send a message that no one is above the leagues jurisdiction when it comes to disciplinary matters.

gate7
03-21-2014, 12:46 AM
no accident...he meant it!

tfctillidie
03-21-2014, 03:08 AM
2 games suspension....1 game for each testicle lol...good one MLS disciplinary committee...i see what you did there ahahaha

WestStandGeoff
03-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Officially announced.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/21/mls-disciplinary-committee-suspends-clint-dempsey-two-other-players-incident

OgtheDim
03-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Some Sounder supporters are going apefeces about this. Don`t quite get that hitting somebody like that is a BAD thing for the league to let happen.

Brooker
03-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Is Clint Dempsey in the hospital or something? The way the Sounders fans are screaming about him being hacked, kicked, and stomped to pieces you would think he was. I'm beginning to wonder what game I was watching.

JHC.... don't smack people in the testicles, don't get suspended. It's really that simple.

Heart of Stone
03-21-2014, 04:38 PM
They should have made him stand in the Pike Place Market with a sign around his neck that said "I punched someone in the balls... and I'm sorry for my juvenile behaviour."

Alixir
03-21-2014, 06:15 PM

We don't understand TFC's interest here, if we're happy about this. We derive nothing from his missing the next two games.

This league has a horrible problem with allowing jokers to goon stars. We have a couple of stars now, and vigilante justice is pretty much the only answer in many MLS games.

This shoe will be on the other foot for us, soon.
Giving someone a backhander to the plums is no way to deal out justice...

ensco
03-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Giving someone a backhander to the plums is no way to deal out justice...

I think one game is about right.

Which should be enforced the next time Seattle plays TFC.

Abou Sky
03-21-2014, 06:36 PM
He really was roughed up, but still no excuse.

I wonder if Bradley hates him on USMNT

MightyDM
03-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Most of the time, Dempsey dove. One or two kicks to the shins, but he and Jackson have a history. I was next to a Seattle supporter who kept complaining about Dempsey's diving. He got what he deserved.

tfcleeds
03-21-2014, 10:01 PM
They should have made him stand in the Pike Place Market with a sign around his neck that said "I punched someone in the balls... and I'm sorry for my juvenile behaviour."

Either that, or have people toss fish at him for a couple of hours.