PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 2: DC United at TFC, Sat March 22 4:30PM EST-HOME OPENER

Pages : [1] 2 3

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 08:26 PM
http://www.torontoobserver.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/tfc-logo.jpg

HOME OPENER: D.C. United at Toronto FC
Saturday, March 22, 2014
BMO Field - 4:30 PM - TSN

https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/pictures/2014/3/16/1394930024644/Jermain-Defoe-014.jpg

After the Reds amazing 2-1 victory in Seattle on the strength of two Defoe goals. TFC will be looking to continue with their winning ways when they take on DCU, who will be looking to get back on track after 3-0 season opening loss to Columbus. It will be a packed BMO Field, it can not come soon enough.

Mr_gamble
03-16-2014, 08:43 PM
Way. Too. Excited.

Doucet3
03-16-2014, 09:05 PM
If anyone dosnt want there ticket or wants to donate one to me I'll be your bestest friend ever??, lmao yea right but in all seriousness it would be amazing to be there atmosphere through the roof good match I'm predicting already excited to see the 22nd to roll around

19Barrett19
03-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Starting 11.....
Cesar
Orr
Caldwell
Henry
Morrow
Jackson
Bradley
Osorio
Rey
Gilberto
Defoe

Subs:
DeRo
Nakajima-Ferran
Bekker
Agbosamunde
Morgan
Bendik

brad
03-16-2014, 09:42 PM
I think we see the same starting 11 as Seattle with Gilberto coming in as a sub (if he is fit).

Yohan
03-16-2014, 09:43 PM
I hope Issey in for Jackson.

Mr_gamble
03-16-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't think Gilberto will start. He will see some action though no doubt. I'd also like to see Issey in for Jackson, but I honestly wouldnt be surprised if its the same line up. Maybe Orr for Bloom?

OgtheDim
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure what to expect, to be honest, as DCU has had two weeks to recover, not travelled like we have, and will be under no pressure what so ever. You have to beat teams at home if you want to make the playoffs. I don't care if its 1-0 or 2-1 or 7-0. If we are going to be a playoff team, we have to win games like this.

Tactically, if they play a 4-1-3-2 like they did last time, we should be OK with the usual 4-4-2 pivot. Bradley vs. Silva is a mismatch. DCU has a lot of potential in that strike force up front, if not a lot of energy.

If Gilberto is available, I suspect he will come off the bench for DeRo like Weideman did today.

I think Bloom plays, because Nelsen has this thing about people keeping a position until they prove to be not good enough.

The place should be rocking but don't be surprised if DCU bunkers from the beginning and we get caught on a counter to open the scoring.

Personally, I'm hoping we win here and then have issues with RSL away, just to keep the fans from overhyping this team. We are a decent team but a lot of hype in this town can build up pressure on a sports team real quick.

Ivy
03-16-2014, 09:55 PM
DC has the potential to be a very strong team. Good players - but like us, lack the chemistry.

Yohan
03-16-2014, 10:09 PM
DC should be 3 pts. But it's MLS, so you never know. But TFC needs all the points now before Defoe/Bradley/Cesar goes off to WC, esp with RSL away coming up after. (who admittly, looks frail defensive, though against direct football SJ played)

notthesun
03-16-2014, 10:26 PM
---------Julio Cesar-----------
Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow
Rey--Osorio--Bradley----Jackson
------Defoe---De Rosario-------

This should be 3 points. Our home opener and D.C. looks weak so far.

I'm guessing Gilberto won't be 100% by this weekend so I'm saying he makes the bench for now. If the game is going well I'd rather he doesn't play honestly. Farran should get good minutes off the bench. I have Orr in the lineup but wouldn't mind seeing Bloom again.

shwade
03-16-2014, 10:32 PM
Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Jackson? He made some good defensive plays but attacking wise he always ran into a player or gave it away.
Wouldn't mind seeing what Farran can do with the start.

Yohan
03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Jackson? He made some good defensive plays but attacking wise he always ran into a player or gave it away.
he's very... grabby. he fouls a lot and has poor decision making. he's like more angrier version of Reggie Lambe. I know he is better, but so far, he's not shown the quality he has.

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Shutting down Eddie Johnson will be key for the Reds, he has a knack for finding the back of the net once he gets going. He had two solid seasons for Seattle and was hot for the USMNT.

molenshtain
03-16-2014, 10:58 PM
I seem to have been the only one impressed with Jackson. He had a lot of the ball as he was very good at getting open, he showed dynamism, he played his defensive role well and is probably our fastest player, something that's gonna be key on the road as Nelsen likes to sit very deep. true, he had a poor first touch, got into it a little bit too much with the seattle players and was kind of all over the place when he ran with the ball but I'd sill put him up there with the better wingers in the league. I personally like players who don't mind throwing there body around, it adds a dimension to this team.

I also think y'all are seriously overestimating Issey. Having him and Rey on the field at the same time will add creativity but leave our fullbacks very exposed as neither are very inclined to do there defensive duty.

flamehawk
03-16-2014, 11:21 PM
I am not sure why everyone has Orr starting over Bloom. I was actually very impressed with Bloom's performance. he was solid, and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical of parts of hsi first season.

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 11:25 PM
I am just hoping we have a nice day, the weather is not too crazy, any sort of snow holds off and we can enjoy the game. I will not be reading too much into weather reports until at least 72 hours out.

PopePouri
03-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Until TFC lose or draw, Bloom keeps his spot.

I'm looking for more confidence on the ball now that we're home. Obviously we played like a road team in Seattle catching them on the counter which is fine.

I hope we're not brought back down to earth.

ag futbol
03-17-2014, 01:02 AM
I thought it was what we needed. What he offered defensively is being way under-sold here. Yedlin was reduced to doing very little and so was Pappa. These are good players and their anonymity is down to good defensive work by Bradley, Osorio, and Jackson.

Attack wise it didn't work, but let's face it: outside of the goals and one or two good spells in the first half, very little came off when TFC had the ball.

Huyton
03-17-2014, 05:26 AM
The time in the headline is incorrect. The game will be at 4:30 EDT, not EST.

EST is Eastern Standard Time, and is -5 hours offset from UTC (or Greenwich Meant Time).

EDT is Eastern Daylight Time, and is -4 hours offset from UTC.

North America changes from standard time to daylight savings time in March and back again in November.

Lumpy
03-17-2014, 05:54 AM
^^
Would have missed the game without this correction. :D You should correct your correction. It is Greenwich Mean Time not Meant Time.:facepalm:

Edit--Also not all of North America uses DST. Saskatchewan and parts of B.C. do not as well as parts of the U.S. and Mexico.

Fort York Redcoat
03-17-2014, 06:16 AM
I am not sure why everyone has Orr starting over Bloom. I was actually very impressed with Bloom's performance. he was solid, and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical of parts of hsi first season.

We aquired Orr to start. Bloom is a developing quantity that has been shown capable in a position that had a spotlight on it since Ecks left. Bloom will get chances but at this point it's Orr's spot to lose.

Pookie
03-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Got to improve the stats to remove the déjà vu aspect to our game.

Speaking of the 2012 Mariner campaign where Koevermans converted what few chances we had scoring 6 in 5 games to help start a short lived turn around before ending his season with injury.

Difference in that Seattle game was they shot 13, 2 hit target, 1 went in. We shot 8, 4 hit target, 2 went in. TFC was dominated in all other aspects of the game (possession, passes, passing accuracy, tackles, duels won, etc).

That has to change for this feeling of optimism to be sustainable in the event of a Defoe injury. Great opportunity against DC to improve in all categories.

gmacpheetfc
03-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Is there a big pre lash planned before the game saturday?

barticusz
03-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Whats with the hate for Jackson after one game? Did he not keep Yedlin in check for the majority of the game?

Ron Manager
03-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Whats with the hate for Jackson after one game? Did he not keep Yedlin in check for the majority of the game?

^^+1

Fort York Redcoat
03-17-2014, 08:25 AM
^^
Would have missed the game without this correction. :D You should correct your correction. It is Greenwich Mean Time not Meant Time.:facepalm:

Edit--Also not all of North America uses DST. Saskatchewan and parts of B.C. do not as well as parts of the U.S. and Mexico.

Or don't add it all if you don't want to. People should know where we are basing the time from.

Fort York Redcoat
03-17-2014, 08:27 AM

I seem to have been the only one impressed with Jackson. He had a lot of the ball as he was very good at getting open, he showed dynamism, he played his defensive role well and is probably our fastest player, something that's gonna be key on the road as Nelsen likes to sit very deep. true, he had a poor first touch, got into it a little bit too much with the seattle players and was kind of all over the place when he ran with the ball but I'd sill put him up there with the better wingers in the league. I personally like players who don't mind throwing there body around, it adds a dimension to this team.

I also think y'all are seriously overestimating Issey. Having him and Rey on the field at the same time will add creativity but leave our fullbacks very exposed as neither are very inclined to do there defensive duty.

This is not hate. It's not even close.

Ultra & Proud
03-17-2014, 08:40 AM
Looks like it's orange ball time this Saturday.

brad
03-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Got to improve the stats to remove the déjà vu aspect to our game.

Speaking of the 2012 Mariner campaign where Koevermans converted what few chances we had scoring 6 in 5 games to help start a short lived turn around before ending his season with injury.

Difference in that Seattle game was they shot 13, 2 hit target, 1 went in. We shot 8, 4 hit target, 2 went in. TFC was dominated in all other aspects of the game (possession, passes, passing accuracy, tackles, duels won, etc).

That has to change for this feeling of optimism to be sustainable in the event of a Defoe injury. Great opportunity against DC to improve in all categories.

Agree here, a few comments.

* Gilberto is the x-factor we have not seen yet. If he is a capable goal scorer, it will go a long way to alleviating our reliance on Jermain
* We were under the gun in Seattle, and for sure those numbers need to improve, but I need to see numbers from more games to make any further inferences. That is a bloody tough away game at the best of times, lets see what those numbers are the norm away or simply the result of the game itself.
* Purely observational, and I was not able to watch the game too closely yet, but it seemed to me that when we were up against it we looked to hold shape better and be in better control. In past regimes, we looked pinned back in a shooting gallery and looked hopelessly disorganized. Saturday we were pinned back, but looked like a solid defensive performance while doing so. I'm happy to be corrected thought from those that paid more attention tactically.

brad
03-17-2014, 09:05 AM
How are DC looking right now from those that watched them? They were awful last year but have made some solid additions in the off season.

tfcleeds
03-17-2014, 09:13 AM
I for one am not going to go into this match too overconfident. Yes, we just won a match in pretty impressive fashion at one of the hardest venues in MLS, but DCU are still one of the most improved teams over the offseason, despite laying an egg in round 1. We underestimate them at our peril. But if the lads show the same character they did in Seattle, there's no way we should be leaving BMO without 3 points.

Ron Manager
03-17-2014, 09:14 AM
We underestimate anyone at our peril. We had one good result, but we are still TFC. Our reputation and fortunes will still take time to reverse.

Leedsoronto
03-17-2014, 09:14 AM

And I am the only one not impressed with Rey, he made some good runs on the wings but just kept the ball for too long on each occasion. Even Dero got pissed with him. If he could just see the pass earlier he be a ok player.

mowe
03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
How are DC looking right now from those that watched them? They were awful last year but have made some solid additions in the off season.

Got beat up 3-0 at home vs Columbus. Turns out a historically bad season is tough to come back from. This really should be 3 points for TFC.

brad
03-17-2014, 09:37 AM
And I am the only one not impressed with Rey, he made some good runs on the wings but just kept the ball for too long on each occasion. Even Dero got pissed with him. If he could just see the pass earlier he be a ok player.

Nope - I wasn't either. All flash, no end product. Reminded of Denlison all those years ago. All the skill in the world, always dribbled himself into a coroner. Dribbling is a means to an end, not the end itself.

shwade
03-17-2014, 09:38 AM

From just the first game alone I feel that Rey offered more. He made his runs forward and also tracked back to help defend. I agree that he got stuck with the ball for too long but the fact that he could keep the ball at his feet with a lot of pressure around him is impressive. There were a couple of times he could've made a clean pass that would have resulted in a shot on target but I'm hoping as he gets more comfortable with his teammates he'll be able to make those passes next time.

C.Ronaldo
03-17-2014, 09:39 AM

im hoping the general will have a word with him......we have world class strikers now, use THEM!

ag futbol
03-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Nope - I wasn't either. All flash, no end product. Reminded of Denlison all those years ago. All the skill in the world, always dribbled himself into a coroner. Dribbling is a means to an end, not the end itself.
Exactly. He can do whatever he wants but it has to lead to something productive. Last game he ignored some good passing options to dribble into the corner (as you said).

ryan
03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Rey does hold up the ball a bit much but I think you guys are ignoring that he did generate a couple opportunities, one being a nice shot that took a really nice save from Frei.

Yeah he did miss a couple looks to DeRo during the game, then again I can't count on two hands the number of times I've seen DeRo be the exact same way in that role over the years.

Kaz
03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
One thing people seem to be forgetting with the Rey vs Jackson question is Jackson was switched to the other side to help counter the Sounders counter up that side. Rey had a little less defensive work to do.

The chemistry issue was seen with Dero in that he had a good chance to score and Rey passed wide. As the boys get to know each other that won't be an issue.

Gilberto is the X factor. If he can do what he is supposed to do, and basically be a younger Dero he will be dangerous. If he is Pablo Vitti 2.0 then who knows. (I'm thinking Dero in his prime)

We are missing a Third Striker I don't think Dero is that guy, because he can only really give 60 minutes and then you have to put on Weids

DC had their defence torn apart on at least two occasions by Columbus, the question is was it a off game for DC, was it a good game for Columbus.

If DC gives us as much space as they gave Columbus and we play as hard as we did in Seattle it should be good.

It is likely going to snow and be near 0, that will be something that everyone will have to deal with.

Gilberto, Defoe, Jackson, Rey and Ceser will likely not be used to that kinda a play, Dero due to age may not be capable of taking a whole game, DC may be a little more comfortable. Cold and hard play could lead to injuries and mistakes early and late in each half. (though honestly I don't know how different it will be from England, Gilberto handling it is the big concern.

A win would be historic I won't say more due to superstition.

Right now we are 4th in the east, we have a game in hand and even if we didn't have that game in hand we would still be forth. That is kinda neat.

It's a long season.

--------Defoe-----Gilberto--------
----Rey-----------------Jackson--
-----------Bradley Osorio----------
Morrow---Caldwell---Henry---Bloom

Dero subed on at 45 or 60 for Gilberto. (or vice versa)

ManUtd4ever
03-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Can't take any teams for granted while this squad is still finding it's legs. The intensity must be there in order to earn a result.

Super
03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Jermain Defoe ‏@IAmJermainDefoe (https://twitter.com/IAmJermainDefoe) 10m (https://twitter.com/IAmJermainDefoe/status/445575120875450368)
Great result away vs Seattle on Saturday. Huge effort from the boys @torontofc (https://twitter.com/torontofc) Looking forward to our first home game..

mastermixer
03-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Curious to see how the pitch is going to look on Saturday with one of the worst winters in history still around. On a side note where the hell is spring!?!?!

Detroit_TFC
03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Hoping for better weather than what it seems we'll get.

Super
03-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Light snow promised on Saturday with 2 plus degrees. Will be cold, but it beats rain. Hopefully the house will be packed!

Fort York Redcoat
03-17-2014, 10:24 AM

He needs work. Has speed and potential for creativity but was predictable.

mowe
03-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Curious to see how the pitch is going to look on Saturday with one of the worst winters in history still around. On a side note where the hell is spring!?!?!

Small snippet of the pitch as of March 14 (via @BMOField):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bit_DbZCQAALz5H.jpg

SoccMan2
03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Can't take D.C. too lightly just look at the Whitecaps who played amazing in their first game versus the Red Bulls but then went into Chivas and played a man advantage for most of the game and almost lost scoring the tying goal in the final minutes of play. Jackson must start I have seen Issey play and basically he is a poor mans version of Rey and we can't have two guys dribbling into players on the field at the same time. Orr needs to start if healthy we got him to start not sit on the bench if he plays crap then bring on Bloom. DeRo starts up top bring in Gilberto later, yes I realize like Orr we got Gilberto to start but at least Orr got some minutes against Seattle Gilberto did not even make the trip and I just get the feeling DeRo will be so pumped on Saturday on his return as a TFC player and will have a great game.

Cas87
03-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Small snippet of the pitch as of March 14 (via @BMOField):
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bit_DbZCQAALz5H.jpg

They have had a heated tarp that sits right above the pitch on for about a week and a half to ensure it wasn't frozen solid.

Its just the east and south stand (washrooms and plumbing) that I am more concerned about at this point.

LFC8
03-17-2014, 11:53 AM
For me, i think it's between DeRo and Rey for the RM (if Gilberto starts). Jackson might have had a few slip ups going forward but he was a beast on defense. Really controlled his side of the field.

MartinUtd
03-17-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm not in the least bit worried about this DC fixture. Johnson is still a headcase and he's on a worse team, their midfield is mediocre and their back are all new faces. This should be an easy 3 points and is a required 3 points no matter which way you slice it.

barticusz
03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
My only complaint with the finish is that we were still hoofing the ball away when we were under pressure. What I would like to see is for us to try and retain possession and force the other team out of position to try and retrieve the ball, rather than kick it out. However, it was in Seattle, where the conditions don't allow for the nicest of games. I was very very pleased to see the guys working together and being in the right positions to defend.

Henry, you sir did a fantastic job, same with Bloom.

Initial B
03-17-2014, 12:22 PM
I think TFC will win this game by at least 2-0. My reasoning being that Columbus beat DCU 3-0. Columbus beat TFC 3-1 in pre-season. I figure Defoe is good for at least one goal beyond the goal we got playing Columbus. Both TFC and DCU have to integrate a lot of new players into their starting lineup.

RealG-TFC
03-17-2014, 12:38 PM
Really want to see Gilberto get minutes and score this game. It'll shut up all the doubters thinking we are a 2-player team.

Pookie
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Agree here, a few comments.

* Gilberto is the x-factor we have not seen yet. If he is a capable goal scorer, it will go a long way to alleviating our reliance on Jermain
* We were under the gun in Seattle, and for sure those numbers need to improve, but I need to see numbers from more games to make any further inferences. That is a bloody tough away game at the best of times, lets see what those numbers are the norm away or simply the result of the game itself.
* Purely observational, and I was not able to watch the game too closely yet, but it seemed to me that when we were up against it we looked to hold shape better and be in better control. In past regimes, we looked pinned back in a shooting gallery and looked hopelessly disorganized. Saturday we were pinned back, but looked like a solid defensive performance while doing so. I'm happy to be corrected thought from those that paid more attention tactically.

Agreed on Gilberto. Ryan Johnson was about as good as it got for secondary scoring threats. This is a key area. Someone who can convert chances as historically, TFC doesn't out chance its opponents often.

All the tactical talk about this formation or that one is all about generating more chances than the other guys. The game is really that simple.

I tend to think TFC have suffered in that regard as they don't have as solid a top to bottom roster as most other MLS sides.

As a result, they get out possessed. Out shot, etc. If they don't "out convert" their opponents they lose.

That's why this secondary scoring thing is so key this year. Defoe has to convert as he is paid to do but he needs help.

I'd like to think that 4 months from now all these categories have improved but I don't think there is much tactically that can be done. It will take a longer term build, through homegrown players and the draft to bring the domestic core to the point where it exceeds the skills of other clubs.

Until then, it will have to rely on converting opportunities and limiting opponent's opportunities.

On the last point, it is interesting. Did TFC's backline influence poor shot selection or did Seattle simply have a "bad game" when it came to converting their opportunities ? I tend to think the backline had a big impact on Seattle's conversion rate. Seattle supporters may say otherwise. If it was the backline it would be a very positive development.

GuelphStorm2007
03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
I am going to predict a TFC victory but it will not be easy I still want to see some improvement in Ball possession And I know we will see some.
Just wondering will the Kick off be changed in case it is really chilly to noon

brad
03-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Agreed on Gilberto. Ryan Johnson was about as good as it got for secondary scoring threats. This is a key area. Someone who can convert chances as historically, TFC doesn't out chance its opponents often.

All the tactical talk about this formation or that one is all about generating more chances than the other guys. The game is really that simple.

I tend to think TFC have suffered in that regard as they don't have as solid a top to bottom roster as most other MLS sides.

As a result, they get out possessed. Out shot, etc. If they don't "out convert" their opponents they lose.

That's why this secondary scoring thing is so key this year. Defoe has to convert as he is paid to do but he needs help.

I'd like to think that 4 months from now all these categories have improved but I don't think there is much tactically that can be done. It will take a longer term build, through homegrown players and the draft to bring the domestic core to the point where it exceeds the skills of other clubs.

Until then, it will have to rely on converting opportunities and limiting opponent's opportunities.

On the last point, it is interesting. Did TFC's backline influence poor shot selection or did Seattle simply have a "bad game" when it came to converting their opportunities ? I tend to think the backline had a big impact on Seattle's conversion rate. Seattle supporters may say otherwise. If it was the backline it would be a very positive development.

Backline + Bradleys influence I think. Have a look at this - it's Bradley's key defensive contributions. He owned the center of the park in our end.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/modules/custom/mls_matchcenter/mls-gamematrix/index.php?omi=741375&seasonId=2014&competitionId=98&language=en&tag=1&reiter=g&efltblosd=JnBsYXllcnM9MzczNjgmZmlsdGVycz0yNSwyNywy OCwyOSwzMSwzMiwzNg==

brad
03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
And since I am already there - this is Henry:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/modules/custom/mls_matchcenter/mls-gamematrix/index.php?omi=741375&seasonId=2014&competitionId=98&language=en&tag=1&reiter=g&efltblosd=JnBsYXllcnM9ODg4MTImZmlsdGVycz0yNSwyNywy OCwyOSwzMSwzMiwzNg==

And Caldwell:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/modules/custom/mls_matchcenter/mls-gamematrix/index.php?omi=741375&seasonId=2014&competitionId=98&language=en&tag=1&reiter=g&efltblosd=JnBsYXllcnM9NzU0NSZmaWx0ZXJzPTI1LDI3LDI4 LDI5LDMxLDMyLDM2

I supposes this should be in the Seattle post match thread, not here...

redisthenewblk
03-17-2014, 02:05 PM
Starting 11.....
Cesar
Orr
Caldwell
Henry
Morrow
Jackson
Bradley
Osorio
Rey
Gilberto
Defoe

Subs:
DeRo
Nakajima-Ferran
Bekker
Agbosamunde
Morgan
Bendik

I agree with others and think Gilberto will come in as a sub to take off DeRo. As for the bench, I'm not sure Boss will be there - my money's on Hagglund instead. Also have a feeling that Orr may not bump out Bloom who played pretty well on Saturday.

redisthenewblk
03-17-2014, 02:10 PM

I liked Jackson too! Some of his touches were a bit heavy at times, but we might be able to chalk some of this up to the turf. Could be more controlled on grass.

Thomas
03-17-2014, 02:12 PM
Man, not sure if I can hold out to Saturday. This is killing me. Wish I could just fast forward to match day. I saw a few posts about Rey holding on too long to the ball, not passing to Dero that one time etc.....His attributes and skills still out weight any minuses. I think we will see him get stronger as the season progresses.

Super
03-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Home opener vs. DC is bound to be a VERY different game than away vs. Seattle. We'll see entirely different tactics. I'm extremely curious to see what we can do at home. I hope we will be aggressive and push DC hard right out of the gate. They'll be very nervous about Defoe and will likely mark him tightly. That opens up a lot of space.

Milanista
03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
hope the weather hold ups...dont mind plus 5 no rain no snow

brad
03-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Home opener vs. DC is bound to be a VERY different game than away vs. Seattle. We'll see entirely different tactics. I'm extremely curious to see what we can do at home. I hope we will be aggressive and push DC hard right out of the gate. They'll be very nervous about Defoe and will likely mark him tightly. That opens up a lot of space.

What I am most interested to see is how deep DC sit as a result of Defoe's presence. I suspect deeper than we are used to seeing, which is a good thing.

Also agree they will be nervous about him, I am also curious to see how composed the back line is in possession with him around. His second goal sent a message out loud and clear to the league - if you are sloppy, he will punish you. Less composed defenders are potentially going to be nervous with him around.

They will try and mark him tightly, but I am not overly concerned there. He has the quality to time his runs and lose his markers, and I just don't see MLS defenses have the concentration to mark him tight all game. Concentration will slip at some point, and he will be waiting.

jloome
03-17-2014, 02:43 PM

He was very poor statistically; completed just nine passes, 0 for 3 in tackles, 0 for 3 in shots on, five fouls committed for only one gained, lost his only attempt at a header, 1 for 3 in take ons -- any hardcore observer would rate him a 5 at best, and only because he had a pair of interceptions. I'm thinking the mere fact that he got away with so many fouls wins him a point at makes him a 5, but on his key stats, that was a 4/10 performance.

ManUtd4ever
03-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Jackson reminds me of a Brazilian version of Martin Saric on the wings, with more speed and offensive flair. I like his defensive tenacity, and he plays right on the edge. His passing accuracy should improve as he becomes familiar with his teammates.

T-boy
03-17-2014, 03:04 PM
I liked Jackson too! Some of his touches were a bit heavy at times, but we might be able to chalk some of this up to the turf. Could be more controlled on grass.

Agreed, Jackson had a good game. I suspect a few people were expecting some major flair from Jackson and attacking all the time. Firstly, he's not quite that player, and none of my memory is that Jackson is going to be Gareth Bale! He's going to be a two-way wie midfielder, and that showed in this game, he did a lot of defensive work than attacking. But I expect that when we are at home and have the momentum, we then might see more attacking flair from him.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to replace Jackson in the line up any time soon.

ag futbol
03-17-2014, 03:05 PM
He was very poor statistically; completed just nine passes, 0 for 3 in tackles, 0 for 3 in shots on, five fouls committed for only one gained, lost his only attempt at a header, 1 for 3 in take ons -- any hardcore observer would rate him a 5 at best, and only because he had a pair of interceptions. I'm thinking the mere fact that he got away with so many fouls wins him a point at makes him a 5, but on his key stats, that was a 4/10 performance.
I don't think the stats tell the story in this case. I would gaurantee Nelsen told everyone in the midfield to kick Dempsey off the pitch in the first half and it worked. All that fouling completely nullified any rhythem them had in the midfield.

Offensive forays were useless, but most of TFC player's were on the day. It was a game where we created almost no chances, but the two quality ones we had our top-quality striker pounced on. Otherwise, defensive work carried the day and Jackson was a big standout with his work rate IMO.

ag futbol
03-17-2014, 03:06 PM
Agreed, Jackson had a good game. I suspect a few people were expecting some major flair from Jackson and attacking all the time. Firstly, he's not quite that player, and none of my memory is that Jackson is going to be Gareth Bale! He's going to be a two-way wie midfielder, and that showed in this game, he did a lot of defensive work than attacking. But I expect that when we are at home and have the momentum, we then might see more attacking flair from him.

I certainly wouldn't be looking to replace Jackson in the line up any time soon.
I would say if we are expecting him to be Gareth Bale, or more aptly: something like Rey, we've completely miscast the guy. He's not someone you want running defenders. He works best when you make the field narrow and then he runs onto the ball. He's like a workhorse fullback or a wide player in a 3-5-2.

OgtheDim
03-17-2014, 03:07 PM
Jackson made Yedlin think and not go forward with as much abandon as normal. Towards the end, he was the one sweeping up at the back as Seattle launched balls into the box.

Sometimes, that's enough.

notthesun
03-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Jackson made Yedlin a non-factor. Nelsen deserves credit for having Jackson and Rey switch flanks very early in the first half and keeping it that way for the rest of the game. Remick ended up being the more threatening fullback, he put in a number of crosses, though they were generally poor and easily dealt with.

tfcleeds
03-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Jackson reminds me of a Brazilian version of Martin Saric on the wings, with more speed and offensive flair. I like his defensive tenacity, and he plays right on the edge. His passing accuracy should improve as he becomes familiar with his teammates.

Lol @ Martin Saric. Not disagreeing necessarily, but there's a name that totally typifies the TFC of the first seven seasons. He did have his moments though, I will grant you that.

Red CB Toronto
03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Lol @ Martin Saric. Not disagreeing necessarily, but there's a name that totally typifies the TFC of the first seven seasons. He did have his moments though, I will grant you that.

Everyone has their moments, what about Javier Martina having what I still consider one of the great goals in TFC history. Regardless I would rather have what we have now, Saturday is going to be something, it can not come soon enough.

tfcleeds
03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
^Martina was awesome that first match against Portland (which regrettably, I was unable to attend). Too bad he never performed at that level after that.

ManUtd4ever
03-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Everyone has their moments, what about Javier Martina having what I still consider one of the great goals in TFC history. Regardless I would rather have what we have now, Saturday is going to be something, it can not come soon enough.

Absolutely, that goes without saying. The only team that was even remotely close on paper was in 2009, but even then, this roster is in another class.

Hamilton_Red
03-17-2014, 11:03 PM
Interesting point. Defoe said he hadn't played on turf for several years. He's going to be even better on grass....likewise Bradley. We need to take full advantage of turf teams when they visit BMO. Need to avoid the overconfidence trap that Vancouver fell into. Dero will be well motivated to show DC up... He should start with Gilberto coming on for the last 30 if possible.

Hamilton_Red
03-17-2014, 11:12 PM
There were at least two other outstanding chances... Header over the bar... Outstanding save by Frei... Could have been 3 or 4 at that point. Sounders had a couple of half chances ..possession but little risk.

tfcleeds
03-18-2014, 07:32 AM
I do have the feeling that DeRo will be playing like a man possessed in this match - predicting him to score one.

brad
03-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Interesting point. Defoe said he hadn't played on turf for several years. He's going to be even better on grass....likewise Bradley. We need to take full advantage of turf teams when they visit BMO. Need to avoid the overconfidence trap that Vancouver fell into. Dero will be well motivated to show DC up... He should start with Gilberto coming on for the last 30 if possible.

I could see that for sure. Someone like Defoe is acting split second. With turf you are going to have to re-adjust for mis-weighted passes, odd bounces, ect.

Bradley talked a fair amount about how the turf affected the match in one of his post match interviews (I think it's the one on the TFC site). He's not complaining about it or making any excuses, just talking pretty matter of fact how their approach in Seattle factored the turf in, and a surface like that is not the day you try and play a passing game (or something like that).

lanarkist
03-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Really hoping to see Gilberto play on Saturday. With the way I expect DC to try and cover Defoe, I think there will be an incredible amount of space and time for Gilberto to show what he can do.

lanarkist
03-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Toronto FC will train at BMO Field today and tomorrow ahead of weekend game against DC United.- Kurtis Larson (@KurtLarSUN)

PopePouri
03-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Pontius is going to be injured which is big blow for them in midfield.

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2014, 01:09 PM
The Reds are looking good on the pitch at BMO, it is busy down here, all sorts of working being done to get the stadium ready for Saturday. Just seeing them out there, gets me all ready to go, it can not come soon enough.

dantdot
03-18-2014, 01:57 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjB7RUwIMAA8eBt.jpg:large

lanarkist
03-18-2014, 01:59 PM
The Reds are looking good on the pitch at BMO, it is busy down here, all sorts of working being done to get the stadium ready for Saturday. Just seeing them out there, gets me all ready to go, it can not come soon enough.

Pitch looked pretty chopped up in this pic, but I suppose that's to be expected with the winter we've had. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjB7RUwIMAA8eBt.jpg:large

MartinUtd
03-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Any predictions?

I'm going big with 3-0, maybe 4-0 if DC's mid looks as bad as I expect it to be. I don't see them gelling with the entirely new team plus injuries. You could say the same for us but they have lower caliber stars and their squad overall is mediocre. That and EJ doesn't create for himself.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think this will be a blowout. DC has some quality in their lineup, even without Pontius.

I think we will win, but the scoreline will be respectable.

Ivy
03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Definitely won't be a blow out. I say 3-1

Canary10
03-18-2014, 03:14 PM
Historically we've had some pretty wild games against DC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few goals again in this one. Rarely do we win two in a row, but I think in the spirit of turning the corner on seven years, we pull it off. Don't want to guess the scoreline, only say I think there will be a few.

Super
03-18-2014, 03:34 PM
Love the new optimism on here. I say 3-1.

TFC07
03-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Weather is going to be a big factor this weekend. So don't except to watch a pretty game , but more a grind out game by playing more direct. Also, I except DC United to bunker and try to beat us with counter attack. So TFC needs to be careful with that and not get caught out of position (like Seattle goal last week).

jloome
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Historically we've had some pretty wild games against DC. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few goals again in this one. Rarely do we win two in a row, but I think in the spirit of turning the corner on seven years, we pull it off. Don't want to guess the scoreline, only say I think there will be a few.

DC has looked utterly creatively lacking so far. I'm going to say we bunker in and win 1-0 or 2-0.

barticusz
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Based on last year's results when we both had terrible teams, and considering that both sides have improved their teams (with TFC getting the better players) I'm going to predict a 3-1 win. I correctly predicted a 2-1 win in week 2, so hopefully my luck continues!

Ivy
03-18-2014, 05:41 PM
I'd like the game to end with TFC having a nice big cushion of goals, I don't have any more nails after the 1-0 2-1 wins. Go into the 90th minute leading by 3 for once, please.

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2014, 06:13 PM
It was great to see a bunch of the guys down at BMO Field today. Jermain and Julio were gracious. Jackson who speaks no English, so when he autographed a photo for me and wanted copies , we went back and forth through his translator. If the weather is anything like it was today, Saturday will be.

Talked with izzy! his deal still has not gone through! hoping to have done by the end of the week. But according to him he has been assigned a number 20.

Also Jordan Hamilton said he missed most of the pre-season due to injury, other wise he would have already been sent to Wilmington. He would love to go and get minutes. Very excited for his first season.

pdubs
03-18-2014, 06:39 PM
It was great to see a bunch of the guys down at BMO Field today. Jermain and Julio were gracious. Jackson who speaks no English, so when he autographed a photo for me and wanted copies , we went back and forth through his translator. If the weather is anything like it was today, Saturday will be.

Talked with izzy! his deal still has not gone through! hoping to have done by the end of the week. But according to him he has been assigned a number 20.

Also Jordan Hamilton said he missed most of the pre-season due to injury, other wise he would have already been sent to Wilmington. He would love to go and get minutes. Very excited for his first season.

any word on Gilberto?

OgtheDim
03-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Nelsen in his interview basically indicated they are going slow with Gilberto.

I think he comes on as a sub against RSL and that he won't start until the home game against Colorado.

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
any word on Gilberto?

Gilberto does not speak much english, so I was not able to speak to him much.

mowe
03-18-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the update. You didn't finish your sentence though, Saturday will be like what?!?

snoopdog
03-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Its great to see the boards come alive again!:scarf::scarf:

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the update. You didn't finish your sentence though, Saturday will be like what?!?
I meant if the weather is like it was today, Saturday will be great. Looking forward to it big time, can not come soon enough.

adam1001
03-18-2014, 08:04 PM
I've heard rumblings that injury was never the primary issue with Gilberto. It's more so that he's struggling to get fit, after arriving at camp completely out of shape.

This is all speculation, though.

flamehawk
03-18-2014, 08:31 PM

Where is it stuck on? The league rubber stamping? Or are they still negotiating?

Red CB Toronto
03-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Where is it stuck on? The league rubber stamping? Or are they still negotiating?

It sounds like it is sitting in the league's hands.

ManUtd4ever
03-18-2014, 08:44 PM
I'd like the game to end with TFC having a nice big cushion of goals, I don't have any more nails after the 1-0 2-1 wins. Go into the 90th minute leading by 3 for once, please.

I honestly can't remember the last time we were up by 2 or more goals in stoppage time.

Yohan
03-18-2014, 08:51 PM
I honestly can't remember the last time we were up by 2 or more goals in stoppage time.
Coincidently, 4-1 vs DC (reserves) late last season.

Ivy
03-18-2014, 08:56 PM
DC game last year, before that, God knows...

Yohan
03-18-2014, 08:58 PM
DC game last year, before that, God knows...
2-0 vs Mtl in V Cup first leg in Apr

OgtheDim
03-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I've heard rumblings that injury was never the primary issue with Gilberto. It's more so that he's struggling to get fit, after arriving at camp completely out of shape.

Gilberto played in our pre season friendly against Columbus.

In one of the preseason threads, somebody indicated they heard the words Hip Flexor. To which a number of people said that would take weeks to recover from.

Again, all speculation and rumour.

lobo
03-18-2014, 11:49 PM

yes, more goals! and more flags.

Saturday will be like ... a great day for football. No matter what the weather.

ensco
03-19-2014, 06:54 AM
Whatever the issue is, we have a depth problem at striker. I'm guessing they think someone is coming through allocation, so they're waiting/gambling on that.

burlington Red
03-19-2014, 07:33 AM

Neil Davidson made a comment along this lines recently when talking about Gilberto

Detroit_TFC
03-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Even if there are underlying fitness issues, formally the team says its a hip flexor.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

brad
03-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Even if there are underlying fitness issues, formally the team says its a hip flexor.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/injuries

Could be both - excess weight puts strain on the body.

Of course, the team is not going to come out and say "our new DP was unprofessional and showed up in camp out of shape".

Davidson is usually reliable, he is one of the best in the country covering our game.

Anyway - key point is get him fit and don't rush it. We will be relying on him when Defoe is at the WC.

KRO
03-19-2014, 08:11 AM
Gilberto played in our pre season friendly against Columbus.

In one of the preseason threads, somebody indicated they heard the words Hip Flexor. To which a number of people said that would take weeks to recover from.

Again, all speculation and rumour.

I was at 3 of the Orlando games.

Gilberto sat in the bleachers before and during all 3 games. Other injured players (Orr and Bloom) warmed up with the rest of the team and then came and sat with him.

One of the training staff told me it was a hip flexor injury and he would be out at least 2 weeks.

Apparently the only cure for that injury is complete rest so I think if we see him on Saturday it will be a cameo.

nick.mastro
03-19-2014, 09:44 AM
i really hope Gilberto is not another Pablo Vitti...

shwade
03-19-2014, 09:55 AM
i really hope Gilberto is not another Pablo Vitti...

At least Vitti was fit. I hope we didn't give Laba away for another Colin Samuel.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 10:01 AM
At least Vitti was fit. I hope we didn't give Laba away for another Colin Samuel.

The dude is definitely not fat. Lack of fitness to play football and being fat are not the same thing!

Super
03-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Have faith in Gilberto, people. Way too early to write him off or complain that it should've been him traded, not Laba. Let's at least see him play 5 games before we pass judgement.

A LOT changes with a goal. I hope he'll get one quickly to shut up all the critics!

RealG-TFC
03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Honestly with the type of ball movement and players we have now I bet Pablo Vitti woudn't end up a dud.

OgtheDim
03-19-2014, 11:09 AM
I know there is a desire to find a scapegoat for the season, but come on people......does anybody honestly believe that Tim Bez is going to sign a guy who doesn't train in the off season as a DP? Or that TL is going to NOT check up on this guy's character before splashing his mug all over preseason promotional material?

Lets wait until we actually see him on the pitch for a match. If he's crap, then let him have it with both barrels.

lanarkist
03-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Have faith in Gilberto, people. Way too early to write him off or complain that it should've been him traded, not Laba. Let's at least see him play 5 games before we pass judgement.

A LOT changes with a goal. I hope he'll get one quickly to shut up all the critics!

+1. I doubt we'd be talking about Defoe this way if he had to miss a game or two because of a hamstring. I know the pedigree is different, but give it time

Sweeper
03-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Didn't realize Attakora was playing for DC now.

Oldtimer
03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Honestly with the type of ball movement and players we have now I bet Pablo Vitti woudn't end up a dud.

Exactly. In 2009 we played a different kind of football and had different kind of players that didn't match his skills very well. Even so he showed flashes of what he could do.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
For the last time... Laba wasn't traded because of Gilberto.
Laba was hired as a Midfielder last season
Gilberto was hired as a striker early in preseason .
Jermaine Defoe was hired as a striker in December and announced in January

Michael Bradley in January said he wanted to come back to MLS, TFC made the offer that stuck.

Michael Bradley is a Midfielder.

You now have a DP Midfielder. 2 DP strikers and a DP midfielder (Bradley). (4 4 DPs)

You don't give up a DP Striker to sign a second DP Midfielder particularly when you have so little strength upfront, you give up the DP in the same position.

Gilberto was never considered an option over Laba for trade.

Had it been Jozy Altidore and not Michael Bradley that had been signed then Laba would be here and Gilberto would not.

We did not give away Laba for Gilberto please get this idea out of your head.

brad
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
I know there is a desire to find a scapegoat for the season, but come on people......does anybody honestly believe that Tim Bez is going to sign a guy who doesn't train in the off season as a DP? Or that TL is going to NOT check up on this guy's character before splashing his mug all over preseason promotional material?

Lets wait until we actually see him on the pitch for 5-10 matches. If he's crap, then let him have it with both barrels.

Corrected. I hope no one is passing judgement on him after one match - either way.

But on the first point about checking up on him - you are correct. I suspect (and hope) they did due diligence. However, that is not always enough. People get that wrong at levels. Sometimes all the background checks in the world don't matter. I read an article recently talking about how this is actually the single hardest element of scouting (I can try and find it if you are interested)//

To be clear, I'm not implying this is the case with Gilberto - we have no idea. But, when something is reported by one of the most respectable members of the media covering our game, it does make me think about it.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Didn't realize Attakora was playing for DC now.
He was picked up in the waiver draft last season when we picked up DeRo.

I'm just happy he is playing... I feel bad for him, and hope he finds his form and a starting role.

Though it's not a good sign that he wasn't even on the bench

Canary10
03-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Michael Bradley in January said he wanted to come back to MLS, TFC made the offer that stuck.

You now have a DP Midfielder. 2 DP strikers and a DP midfielder (Bradley). (4 4 DPs)

You don't give up a DP Striker to sign a second DP Midfielder particularly when you have so little strength upfront, you give up the DP in the same position.

Had it been Jozy Altidore and not Michael Bradley that had been signed then Laba would be here and Gilberto would not.

I totally disagree with this. You are thinking positionally rather than financially. Gilberto and Laba were the third DPs. Our management decided on Gilberto.

T-boy
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
I agree with Kaz on this - we need to compare Laba with Bradley, not Laba with Gilberto.

So is Bradley an upgrade over Laba? I don't think anybody would think he isn't.

ManUtd4ever
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM
I totally disagree with this. You are thinking positionally rather than financially. Gilberto and Laba were the third DPs. Our management decided on Gilberto.

The primary relevant factor here is the chronological sequence of events. Bradley was the final DP signing, and an unexpected one at that. It ended up being a question of whether or not to take advantage of the situation that presented itself at the potential risk of losing one of our DPs, and management pounced on the opportunity. Thank goodness they did. When the dust settled, moving Laba was the only viable resolution at the time.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I agree with Kaz on this - we need to compare Laba with Bradley, not Laba with Gilberto.

In a world where there are unlimited "DPs" that might be true. Where there are three, you had two competing for the third spot. And it wasn't Bradley competing with Laba.

molenshtain
03-19-2014, 12:48 PM

So you would have preferred we dropped a player we just signed in favor of keeping Laba? a player who we might very well just get back next season?

Canary10
03-19-2014, 12:53 PM
So you would have preferred we dropped a player we just signed in favor of keeping Laba? a player who we might very well just get back next season?

I would have preferred to drop Gilberto, yes. With the financial constraints of the league, taking a guess on a guy to me makes no sense when you have someone who has proven to be quality for you.

JuliquE
03-19-2014, 12:53 PM

This. Kaz gets it.

RealG-TFC
03-19-2014, 12:54 PM

He's not necessarily thinking of it exclusively positionally but rather functionally. Gilberto and Laba don't serve the same function on the field/team.

Also we know that the Bradley thing only happened in a matter of weeks. And we also know that the plan all along was to gt get two attackers, one that would stay home if the other went to the WC.

OgtheDim
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
This Laba vs. Gilberto discussion has become the new DeRo.

Back to the game.

Will Jackson play or Izzy, if he's signed?

Canary10
03-19-2014, 12:57 PM
He's not necessarily thinking of it exclusively positionally but rather functionally. Gilberto and Laba don't serve the same function on the field/team.

Also we know that the Bradley thing only happened in a matter of weeks. And we also know that the plan all along was to gt get two attackers, one that would stay home if the other went to the WC.

I know that Laba and Gilberto don't play the same position, but in the finances of the team they do. They are the third DP. One of those two had to go.

GuelphStorm2007
03-19-2014, 12:58 PM
With the addition of Bradley it will make a better player of Osario and that will be good for both TFC and Canada as a whole.

jloome
03-19-2014, 12:59 PM

Regardless of who was in or out at the time, we only have 3 DP slots. If we chose to use one on a guy who isn't good enough, or fit enough, or is crocked -- and I'm not saying that's the case, I'm putting out a worst-case -- then we can just as legitimately state that decision was why we lost Laba. When we have a limited number of spot and use them all up, the timing of the signings is somewhat irrelevant compared to whether we signed the right people to begin with.

If Gilberto turns out to the good, great. If he doesn't, he'll have been a bad reason to use a DP slot; if we dont' sign him, Bradley takes up his spot when he becomes available and we keep Laba, so it amounts to exactly the same thing.

We didn't lose Laba because we signed Michael Bradley. We lost him because we only have three DP slots and used them all up when we already had a DP on the books. They could have traded Gilberto or bought him out; the former is unlikely, the latter expensive. But if he ends out flopping for us, taking one of those steps and keeping Laba will look pretty sound.

Me, I think teams underestimate the quality of some of the DPs now willing to come over, and perhaps it was rash to fill all three slots so quickly. Defoe and Bradley have the pedigree to believe they'll succeed; Gilberto's is more of a question mark. That being the case, we might have pulled the trigger on him early. (Easy in retrospect; I never though they'd get Bradley.)

But it's all speculative now; maybe bez has been watching him for four years and when he gets fit he'll score 15 or 20. That'd end any debate pretty quickly.

GuelphStorm2007
03-19-2014, 01:01 PM
What is the status of Gilberto will he play or is he still on the mend

Graeme
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
To be clear, I'm not implying this is the case with Gilberto - we have no idea. But, when something is reported by one of the most respectable members of the media covering our game, it does make me think about it.

Where does Davidson say this? I've been hunting for updates!

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Regardless of who was in or out at the time, we only have 3 DP slots. If we chose to use one on a guy who isn't good enough, or fit enough, or is crocked -- and I'm not saying that's the case, I'm putting out a worst-case -- then we can just as legitimately state that decision was why we lost Laba. When we have a limited number of spot and use them all up, the timing of the signings is somewhat irrelevant compared to whether we signed the right people to begin with.

If Gilberto turns out to the good, great. If he doesn't, he'll have been a bad reason to use a DP slot; if we dont' sign him, Bradley takes up his spot when he becomes available and we keep Laba, so it amounts to exactly the same thing.

We didn't lose Laba because we signed Michael Bradley. We lost him because we only have three DP slots and used them all up when we already had a DP on the books. They could have traded Gilberto or bought him out; the former is unlikely, the latter expensive. But if he ends out flopping for us, taking one of those steps and keeping Laba will look pretty sound.

Me, I think teams underestimate the quality of some of the DPs now willing to come over, and perhaps it was rash to fill all three slots so quickly. Defoe and Bradley have the pedigree to believe they'll succeed; Gilberto's is more of a question mark. That being the case, we might have pulled the trigger on him early. (Easy in retrospect; I never though they'd get Bradley.)

But it's all speculative now; maybe bez has been watching him for four years and when he gets fit he'll score 15 or 20. That'd end any debate pretty quickly.

Totally agree. Thanks for saying it better than I did. Again, I hope Gilberto does well when he plays - there will be no debate then.

JuliquE
03-19-2014, 01:11 PM

I really think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective; this post, for me, says it all (especially the bold text, highlighting what our biggest need was and the desired balance in DP's -- 2 strikers and 1 DM)

Also we know that the Bradley thing only happened in a matter of weeks. And we also know that the plan all along was to get two attackers, one that would stay home if the other went to the WC.

Keeping Laba would have been a departure from this balance. We've also put ourselves in a good position to either get Laba back or be compensated generously -- a deal I'm not so sure we could have arranged as easily, if at all, with Gilberto, having not logged any minutes in the league.

People are saying to wait until the end of 2014 to judge whether or not it was the right choice, and they may well be right with that.. I just don't think the focus should necessarily be on how many goals Gilberto's scored. Rather, if we, in the end, wind up with ALL of the above, instead of, say, just Defoe, Bradley and Laba, then, it makes this move a brilliant one. All signs point to this being the way it's been worked, at the moment.. and, should it not go "to plan," there's a contingency in place. I really don't think there was a better outcome than this, regardless of how Gilberto plays.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM

here is the thing. We need people to put goals in the back of the neat. They Hired a striker. They hired 2 strikers. They did their job.

Our pre season was a injury fubar. Gilberto has yet to play a full game fully healthy. To say that we lost Laba because we got Gilberto is asinine. We lost Laba because we gained Bradley it's that simple.

Gilberto was signed to score goals, the staff feels he can do that. He hasn't played a game yet. Let him play a game.

If he plays and isn't great it's still not Laba for Gilberto. Because Gilberto was hired to a do a different job, one that is needed to win games. This happened in Off Season. If Gilberto was hired in August and he wasn't shaping up then use you could make that argument. But you don't fire a Player that could help you win games before you've seen them play... this is stupid, idiotic, and is rediculous.. at least when you are trying to make the insane argument that we hired Michael Bradley lets get rid of a new striker.

seriously listen to your selves.

We have Jermey Hall, Osorio, Michael Bradley and a few others that can do the job in the Centre.

So with Bright Dike, DeRo, and Wieds. you want to get rid of a player that The Tim's think is DP striker worthy for a DM.

Basically you are saying you expected MLSE to downgrade the Forwards that win games.. for Midfielder that isn't going to score goals.

Now Dike is hurt likely out for the season. Leaving us two options behind Defoe..

This insanity of that argument is just baffling.

We had 4.. no one... NO ONE SANE is going to get ride of a striker to keep a DM.

And if you did and that striker went to Vancouver and he scored 22 goals ever single person on the board would scream bloody murder.

TFC fans get way to attached to players some times.

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Will Jackson play or Izzy, if he's signed?
I think it will be situational.

Either way, if this team is to perform they will need to rotate people through the midfield and up front. The good teams in MLS are able to do this and reduce wear-and-tear on their best players.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
here is the thing. We need people to put goals in the back of the neat. They Hired a striker. They hired 2 strikers. They did their job.

Our pre season was a injury fubar. Gilberto has yet to play a full game fully healthy. To say that we lost Laba because we got Gilberto is asinine. We lost Laba because we gained Bradley it's that simple.

Gilberto was signed to score goals, the staff feels he can do that. He hasn't played a game yet. Let him play a game.

If he plays and isn't great it's still not Laba for Gilberto. Because Gilberto was hired to a do a different job, one that is needed to win games. This happened in Off Season. If Gilberto was hired in August and he wasn't shaping up then use you could make that argument. But you don't fire a Player that could help you win games before you've seen them play... this is stupid, idiotic, and is rediculous.. at least when you are trying to make the insane argument that we hired Michael Bradley lets get rid of a new striker.

seriously listen to your selves.

We have Jermey Hall, Osorio, Michael Bradley and a few others that can do the job in the Centre.

So with Bright Dike, DeRo, and Wieds. you want to get rid of a player that The Tim's think is DP striker worthy for a DM.

Basically you are saying you expected MLSE to downgrade the Forwards that win games.. for Midfielder that isn't going to score goals.

Now Dike is hurt likely out for the season. Leaving us two options behind Defoe..

This insanity of that argument is just baffling.

We had 4.. no one... NO ONE SANE is going to get ride of a striker to keep a DM.

And if you did and that striker went to Vancouver and he scored 22 goals ever single person on the board would scream bloody murder.

TFC fans get way to attached to players some times.

There were lots of ways to get a second striker. Didn't need to be a DP.

At any rate, we should revisit this in July-August. You aren't changing my mind, I'm not changing yours.

brad
03-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Where does Davidson say this? I've been hunting for updates!

I'm going based on what I've read here (others have said he mentioned it).

Oldtimer
03-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Chad Barrett was available. Do you think that would have solved our problems?

Any really good MLS striker would have cost too much in allocation and draft picks, if they were available at all.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Chad Barrett was available. Do you think that would have solved our problems?

Any really good MLS striker would have cost too much in allocation and draft picks, if they were available at all.

Kenny Cooper was available for nothing. He's regularly been a 10 goal scorer. Also a big guy, and Defoe tends to work better with big men. That's just one. Anyway, this is hijacking the thread. Maybe a new one?

tfc2008
03-19-2014, 01:31 PM
I hope they can handle the weather

Kaz
03-19-2014, 01:45 PM

At any rate, we should revisit this in July-August. You aren't changing my mind, I'm not changing yours.

It dosen't matter what happens.

You guys like Laba. So you'd rather have two DPs in the centre of the field then up front.

You guys like Laba, therefore Gilberto will suck and TFC managment is all stupid because you like Laba.

Gilberto can score 15 goals and you will say we should have kept Laba he didn't score 22.

The people that for some reason feel Two DP midfielders is better then 2 DP forwards, do so not for any logical reason but because you like Laba, and as such you are shitting on a TFC player... You are hoping for a TFC players Failure so you can be right.

Instead of saying "It's a shame we couldn't keep Laba but Michael Bradley will tear up the midfield so I can understand. Lets hope our Forwards can stay healthy so they can score 30-40 goals between them" You are saying... "We shouldn't have traded Laba, Gilberto might suck."

Seriously.. this is what you are saying.. Fuck Gilberto I like Laba so I hope he scores like shit... this is the worse supporter behaviour I can think of.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Seriously? This is a team that spent 100 million on two players.. they didn't think financially. If you are seriously saying Laba should have stayed because he was cheaper... that is a facepalm thought process.

You have 4 players you can only keep two of them... you think positionally because money isn't an issue.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:51 PM

You guys like Laba. So you'd rather have two DPs in the centre of the field then up front.

You guys like Laba, therefore Gilberto will suck and TFC managment is all stupid because you like Laba.

Gilberto can score 15 goals and you will say we should have kept Laba he didn't score 22.

The people that for some reason feel Two DP midfielders is better then 2 DP forwards, do so not for any logical reason but because you like Laba, and as such you are shitting on a TFC player... You are hoping for a TFC players Failure so you can be right.

Instead of saying "It's a shame we couldn't keep Laba but Michael Bradley will tear up the midfield so I can understand. Lets hope our Forwards can stay healthy so they can score 30-40 goals between them" You are saying... "We shouldn't have traded Laba, Gilberto might suck."

Seriously.. this is what you are saying.. Fuck Gilberto I like Laba so I hope he scores like shit... this is the worse supporter behaviour I can think of.

You haven't read anything I said. I have no opinion on Gilberto without seeing him. Again, I am saying him and Laba were the third DPs and one of them had to go. Personally I'd go with the known quality than the unknown, but that's me. I'm not picking on Gilberto. Picking two DP forwards v. two central mids is a decision management took. Whether it was right will be a talking point throughout the season.

RealG-TFC
03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
I just can't see Gilberto completely failing. This guy probably could have gone to teams in the mid-table bundesliga given his age and season last year. If guys like Higuain or even Camilo can succeed, surely Gilberto can.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
You haven't read anything I said. I have no opinion on Gilberto without seeing him. Again, I am saying him and Laba were the third DPs and one of them had to go. Personally I'd go with the known quality than the unknown, but that's me. I'm not picking on Gilberto. Picking two DP forwards v. two central mids is a decision management took. Whether it was right will be a talking point throughout the season.

There was never a decision.. you don't put two DPs in the centre of the field it is that simple. No MLS side would do that. No sane person would give up a DP forward you just signed for a DP Midfielder after signing a DP Midfielder.

The only teams with 3 DPs have attacking Midfielders/wingers and strikers not two Central Midfielders.

If Michael Bradley were an attacking goal scoring player then yet you have a choice between Laba and Gilberto.. you do not put two DPs in the middle of the park

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:56 PM
Seriously? This is a team that spent 100 million on two players.. they didn't think financially. If you are seriously saying Laba should have stayed because he was cheaper... that is a facepalm thought process.

You have 4 players you can only keep two of them... you think positionally because money isn't an issue.

Sorry, by financially I mean you are allowed three DPs, not four. It's the number of DPs you are allowed that I am talking about.

Fort York Redcoat
03-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I'm putting out a worst-case

What is the world coming to.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
There was never a decision.. you don't put two DPs in the centre of the field it is that simple. No MLS side would do that. No sane person would give up a DP forward you just signed for a DP Midfielder after signing a DP Midfielder.

Funny, some would say having your strongest players in the centre of the pitch is exactly where you want them.

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Already confirmed that Pontius is out, but here's how they're going to fill the hole.

In his absence, Nick DeLeon has shifted from the right side of midfield to the left and Davy Arnaud has started on the right.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/03/17/d-c-united-news-and-notes-pontius-on-slow-road-in-comeback/

I've heard good things about DeLeon so this should be interesting.

OgtheDim
03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Funny, some would say having your strongest players in the centre of the pitch is exactly where you want them.

As we saw on the weekend, most decent chances go unfinished in MLS. Thus Keane, Donovan, Henry, and Defoe.

As against Johnston, who I don't think is worth the DP status.

I don't think Henry will have much problem with him on Saturday.

Oldtimer
03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Anyway, this is hijacking the thread.

That's correct. Everyone please restrict your discussions to the DC home opener. The Seattle match belongs in it's own thread, and roster issues belong in the player moves thread.

:topic:

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 02:12 PM
Already confirmed that Pontius is out, but here's how they're going to fill the hole.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/03/17/d-c-united-news-and-notes-pontius-on-slow-road-in-comeback/

I've heard good things about DeLeon so this should be interesting.
DeLeon is basically Dero Jr. with more inclination to pass the ball around. Doesn't really have the speed to be effective out wide IMO.

sashavukelich
03-19-2014, 02:17 PM
DeLeon is basically Dero Jr. with more inclination to pass the ball around. Doesn't really have the speed to be effective out wide IMO.

agreed, but without the shooting range/finishability that dero has always had. He's a good hub, moves the ball and attacks well. I haven't seen him since his injury to remember his defensive abilities.

shwade
03-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Thank you.
This is what everybody means when they say it wad Gilberto or Laba.
Anyway I didn't say it was a bad decision...yet. But if Gilberto flops we were better off keeping Laba.

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 02:32 PM
agreed, but without the shooting range/finishability that dero has always had. He's a good hub, moves the ball and attacks well. I haven't seen him since his injury to remember his defensive abilities.
Agreed. And don't get me wrong, I like DeLeon a fair amount.

Ben Olsen has to be thoroughly on the hot seat at this point. A few more sluggish performances and he is toast.

Ultra & Proud
03-19-2014, 02:35 PM
Hope to see at least a bit of Gilberto Saturday. He probably won't be liking it so much with this weather though. Anyhow, looking forward to this match bIg time and praying for snow instead of rain with a strong preference for neither.

tfcleeds
03-19-2014, 02:37 PM
If he's fit (which I doubt he will be), he'll likely get a token sub appearance, last 5 mins. or so. I wouldn't expect much more.

barticusz
03-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Gilberto will play when he's ready. I think everyone is walking on egg shells with this guy because they think he'll turn into another Urrutti, brought in and then subsequently sold.

The difference this time is that this is one of Nelson's guys, not Payne's. We survived Seattle and now have DC coming up.. hopefully he can join the team in RSL but if not so be it. Better to miss these games than some other games later in the season (during the WC).

Cas87
03-19-2014, 03:10 PM
At least our home opener will be warmer than the MLS cup in Kansas last year (they were at -7 degrees Celsius and at night).

Super
03-19-2014, 03:12 PM
At least our home opener will be warmer than the MLS cup in Kansas last year (they were at -7 degrees Celsius and at night).

I'll take that over rain. Looks like rain for Saturday.

Gilberto9
03-19-2014, 03:15 PM
It looks like there will be similar weather to today. If so, it won't be too bad. I just hope the winds off the lake aren't too strong.

Cas87
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
I'll take that over rain. Looks like rain for Saturday.

It looks like there will be similar weather to today. If so, it won't be too bad. I just hope the winds off the lake aren't too strong.

It seems to have switched to NorthWest winds and light flurries late in the day, probably missing the match all together (according to the weather network @ 4:15pm)

tfcleeds
03-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Best home opener (at BMO) weather-wise was LA last year; RSL in 2008 would be a close second. Unseasonably warm both times - hopefully our next home match vs. Colorado will be like that.

Canary10
03-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I'll be smuggling in a flask of bourbon, that's for sure.

speckles
03-19-2014, 03:56 PM
I have seen Gilberto playing at a game in his last season, he has a lot of upside potential and his touch and runs in that game indicated class...unless this injury is a game changer, I think we will have nothing to worry about.

jloome
03-19-2014, 04:52 PM

Kaz, why when people don't automatically agree with you do you miscategorize what they're saying? No one in this thread has even said they don't want Gilberto. They've merely said that if he flops, he'll have been a bad use of a DP slot.

Yet you've turned that into "You're all out to get him!"

Why don't you try understanding someone else's position for a change instead of acting like we're trying to corner you and give you a wedgie?

The last line of my post said that if he gets 15-20 we'll all love him, if he flops we'll all hate him. If that's not the most unequivocably fair statement about a striker, then I don't know what is. Attempting to turn that into "let's run him out of town" is intellectually dishonest, clinging to a point you've already made when it's really not relevant until the guy actually does something.

Until it's played out, taking an extreme position on his relative value -- and consequently whether it was a better use of a DP slot than Laba -- is not particularly balanced.

Yohan
03-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Kenny Cooper was available for nothing. He's regularly been a 10 goal scorer. Also a big guy, and Defoe tends to work better with big men. That's just one. Anyway, this is hijacking the thread. Maybe a new one?
not true. he scored 6 last season out of 30 games. Cooper also doesn't play like a target man. He plays like a 'small' forward.

adam1001
03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I'd like to see Issey on the pitch if he ends up signing this week. Jackson hasn't impressed me at all.

rocktml
03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Alright guys, LOUD AND PROUD FOR THE HOME OPENER!!!!!

I want to see BMO Rocking!!!

ag futbol
03-19-2014, 08:04 PM
As we saw on the weekend, most decent chances go unfinished in MLS. Thus Keane, Donovan, Henry, and Defoe.

As against Johnston, who I don't think is worth the DP status.

I don't think Henry will have much problem with him on Saturday.
I can see it either way. You control the middle of the field, you control the game. Right after striker, a CM would be the most useful position to have a DP IMO.

Johnston is not great, but it's all about where they can find him the ball. Our defenders are prototypical of MLS, big strong won't be beat in the air or out muscled around the box, but if you have space to run at them they are like fish out of water.

I'll be interested to see how Bradley - Osorio manage the space in front of the backline. That's going to be key all season. The real test will be teams like Portland and RSL, but this week they'll have Johnson and Espindola dragging people all over the place trying to open things up.

None the less, we really should win this one. +1 on whoever predicted the 3-1 scoreline.

jazzy
03-19-2014, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=JuliquE;1653118]I really think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective; this post, for me, says it all (especially the bold text, highlighting what our biggest need was and the desired balance in DP's -- 2 strikers and 1 DM ?

not sure I agree, Laba was our DM.......we simply fell into Bradley , a good thing but at the time we needed strikers yes but an attacking AM to work with Laba.

LFC8
03-19-2014, 09:10 PM
What is up with everyone and Laba? He's a good player, but if you told me in the off-season we would sign Bradley as our 3rd DP and that would mean having to get rid of Laba....i would do it over and over and over and over again without hesitation. Look at who we've acquired this off-season. I don't miss Laba one bit to be honest.

redisthenewblk
03-19-2014, 09:27 PM
What is up with everyone and Laba? He's a good player, but if you told me in the off-season we would sign Bradley as our 3rd DP and that would mean having to get rid of Laba....i would do it over and over and over and over again without hesitation. Look at who we've acquired this off-season. I don't miss Laba one bit to be honest.

I agree with you that trading Laba was the right decision. I think Bradley is the player we need to boss the midfield and he seems to be gelling well with Osorio. He has the right attitude and it's rubbing off on everyone. However, I get why people have the feels for Laba. He was one of the bright spots on our roster last year until he broke his toe. He's also young with tonnes of potential. It just wasn't meant to be!

Kaz
03-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Kaz, why when people don't automatically agree with you do you miscategorize what they're saying? No one in this thread has even said they don't want Gilberto. They've merely said that if he flops, he'll have been a bad use of a DP slot.

Yet you've turned that into "You're all out to get him!"

Why don't you try understanding someone else's position for a change instead of acting like we're trying to corner you and give you a wedgie?

The last line of my post said that if he gets 15-20 we'll all love him, if he flops we'll all hate him. If that's not the most unequivocably fair statement about a striker, then I don't know what is. Attempting to turn that into "let's run him out of town" is intellectually dishonest, clinging to a point you've already made when it's really not relevant until the guy actually does something.

Until it's played out, taking an extreme position on his relative value -- and consequently whether it was a better use of a DP slot than Laba -- is not particularly balanced.

Because this has been going on for month, and you are the most negative people I've ever seen.

Everything that happens is talked about here, there is a group of people that are just out to poo poo every decision. If they had traded Gilberto you'd be poo pooing that... I'm just tired of it.

Kaz
03-19-2014, 09:34 PM
That was a typo. I meant three.

Abou Sky
03-19-2014, 09:34 PM

I wish we still had Laba, but Bradley is a truly world class player.

He is on the starting 11 on all but the best 20-25 teams in the world (yes, I count Roma as one of those teams)

tfcleeds
03-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Bradley vs. Laba - no contest. Bradley is easily, if not the player with the highest footballing IQ to have ever played for us, certainly in the top 2. Look, it sucks to have lost a young talent like Laba, but it's time to maybe start moving on from that. Besides, it's possible he still may return. As for Gilberto, we really have no idea at this point how he'll end up doing. But considering he was highly sought after in Europe, I have a feeling he'll turn out well.

pdubs
03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Game we should win. Back to front we have a better team then DCU even with their upgrades. Doesn't look like they have jelled yet. Need to make BMO a fortress. Interested to see if Nelson plays a more possession based game since we are at home.

Excited to see the General in action again along with Osorio. Hope Gilberto gets a few mins. Worried about the weather eep.

Red CB Toronto
03-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing MB make his home debut at BMO this weekend, he is a complete game changer for the Reds. Having seen him play many times for the USMNT I still can not believe he is a Red.

brad
03-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Game we should win. Back to front we have a better team then DCU even with their upgrades. Doesn't look like they have jelled yet. Need to make BMO a fortress. Interested to see if Nelson plays a more possession based game since we are at home.

Excited to see the General in action again along with Osorio. Hope Gilberto gets a few mins. Worried about the weather eep.

The pitch looks to be (and apparently is) in pretty bad shape. As a result I suspect he will play a more direct game

jloome
03-19-2014, 10:38 PM
Because this has been going on for month, and you are the most negative people I've ever seen.

Everything that happens is talked about here, there is a group of people that are just out to poo poo every decision. If they had traded Gilberto you'd be poo pooing that... I'm just tired of it.

Silly generalization. I've posted about 7,000 times on this board and it has been a pretty thorough mix of positive and negative. Same with several others who are posting on this issue. If you're tired of it, either make a point you can actually support and maybe get people to stop debating you, or stop talking about it period. There. Problem solved.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm done with you and adding you to my ignore list. People whose principle contribution to a discussion boils down to "everyone who doesn't agree with me is a negative wanker" aren't really worth wasting the time talking to. Bye bye now.

nick.mastro
03-19-2014, 11:28 PM
One thing that confuses me about Gilberto , is if he's that good of a player with a lot of potential, why has he played on so many teams in the last few years constantly being loaned and moved around. Why didn't any teams wanna keep him ?

Red CB Toronto
03-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Here is a pic of the pitch from training on Tuesday afternoon at BMO Field, it looks less than ideal.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjB7RUwIMAA8eBt.jpg

jloome
03-20-2014, 12:09 AM
One thing that confuses me about Gilberto , is if he's that good of a player with a lot of potential, why has he played on so many teams in the last few years constantly being loaned and moved around. Why didn't any teams wanna keep him ?

More of an issue in leagues like MLS than Brazil; it's very easy there to be a good player but still be fifth or sixth in line to get playing time, so guys move a lot as a result and are loaned out a lot more, too.

JuliquE
03-20-2014, 03:22 AM
not sure I agree, Laba was our DM.......we simply fell into Bradley , a good thing but at the time we needed strikers yes but an attacking AM to work with Laba.
Not sure I agree, either; at the time, I think the majority, here, were saying that we needed a striker.. but, also, that we needed someone to create, going forward. So, I, too, would have thought it best to get a striker and an AM.

Having said that, the point I was making is that their vision was to add two strikers to our 1 DP DM (Laba). In the end, they wanted to maintain this balance of 2 strikers and 1 DM.. so, they opted for Bradley over Laba, to accompany the two DP strikers, after Bradley fell into our laps.

As an aside, I don't think Nelson likes to play with an AM, hence the players we've got.

Pookie
03-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Bradley signing doesn't appear to be a product of any strategic thinking or forward planning. Simply an opportunity that quickly presented itself.

The shuffling afterwards is probably the source of this Laba debate. All quick decisions are often second guessed.

In its basic simplicity, there was Laba-Urutti and now Bradley-Defoe.

Now is better. Laba-Urutti had the potential to be there much longer but theirs was a story of potential. And of course less cost.

Another factor is that MLSE wouldn't have attracted all the casual fans and tourists that have bought season seats with Laba Urutti. They came because someone told them it was a big deal and made TFC somewhat fashionable again. Laba Urutti didn't have that cache. Season tickets were dropping of the map and that could have impacted investments going forward.

tfcleeds
03-20-2014, 08:17 AM
One thing that confuses me about Gilberto , is if he's that good of a player with a lot of potential, why has he played on so many teams in the last few years constantly being loaned and moved around. Why didn't any teams wanna keep him ? As already alluded to, you'll see this happens all the time in Brazil, due to various factors. Plus, he started out in the lower divisions, his early move was to a bigger club that came in for him, then sending him out on loan because he was lower down the pecking order.

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Gentlemen feel free to continue the trade talks in the "In season..." thread.

As to this weeks game I expect a win, multiple goals and to not get much for it in the power rankings since DC is rated so low.

Doesn't mean I'll enjoy the game any less...:scarf:

ryan
03-20-2014, 09:08 AM
3-1

DeRo, Bradley and Rey with the goals.

Some fud will score for DC but nobody will care.

MartinUtd
03-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I see Rey bagging one soon as well. As much as I want to keep Defoe scoring, I'd like to see the threat spread out.

Detroit_TFC
03-20-2014, 10:01 AM
^ +100 If that starts to happen, it will show the potency of our attack and how it can overwhelm defenses. Not sure we are there yet or will even get to that level. But if it does, woah buddy.

brad
03-20-2014, 10:01 AM
DeRo is going to score in this one. He has always been able to raise his game for the occasion - and this game is definitely an occasion for DeRo.

Thomas
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
I am hoping Gilli comes out for at least a while, and show us what he is capable of.

Graeme
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
I hope Nelsen is pulling the same trick he did vs. Seattle, and that Gilberto is going to play at least the first 45 minutes, then sub DeRo on (or vice versa).

Also, everyone seems to forget that Seattle was lucky it wasn't 3-0 after Rey's blistering shot to the upper corner that Frei managed to get a hand to...

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2014, 10:56 AM
This game can not come soon enough, is Saturday not here already. It would be great to see the scoring spread around. DeRo with a goal in his first game back at BMO with the Reds would be something. Hopefully Gilberto can get a run out but we will have to see.

Jimmy The Saint
03-20-2014, 11:00 AM
I want to see Osorio score something on Saturday - has so much potential to be a great player for TFC, especially learning from guys like Defoe, Dero and Bradley.

Dv23
03-20-2014, 11:07 AM
3-0 TFC. Mark my words. I'll stake my reputation on it.

Carts
03-20-2014, 11:29 AM
3-0 TFC. Mark my words. I'll stake my reputation on it.

Well, you do have a crystal ball as your avatar so - fire me some LottoMax numbers while we're at it..... via PM of course g:D

mowe
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/content/2014-home-opener

$5 Budweiser draft up until kickoff
Tim Leiweke to address the crowd

Saturday is going to be special, I can feel it! From reading comments it seems even DC fans are expecting a blowout. And so am I! 4-0 with Defoe (x2), DeRo, and Osorio netting. Time to assert ourselves in the new era of TFC!

(can you tell I'm caught up in the hype?)

OgtheDim
03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
I wants me some free mittens!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/TFC-BMO-Mittens.jpg

Ok....they are white.

And....they havn't got fingers.

And...they are unlikely to be one size fits all.

And.......they look cheap.

BUT IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

MartinUtd
03-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Yikes, not much faith from the DC faithful. In their pregame big soccer poll they've voted overwhelmingly that their first goal will be an own goal.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/toronto-fc-vs-dc-united.2002094/

Joe Kool
03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Just saw Rachel's 6 in 60 and she mentioned there is a Marlies home game and sure enough there is at 3PM. People not parking and marching from Joe's plan accordingly to get parking if needed at the Ex.

Fort York Redcoat
03-20-2014, 01:22 PM

Ok....they are white.

That is a great idea. Really. White on Black. Everyone got the new onyx, right?

nonc
03-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Hopefully they've been thawing out the field for a long time, not like a couple years ago when they destroyed the heating system with last second efforts. :lol:

I'll be surprised if Gilberto plays.

GBV
03-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Betting line (pinnaclesports.com):
DC +445
Draw +278
Toronto -139

O/U 2.5 under -111

Note: Toronto is the biggest favourite this weekend in MLS games.

Richard
03-20-2014, 05:36 PM
This is going to be a wild game, bank on it. I take the over any day of the week.

LFC8
03-20-2014, 06:17 PM
Funny how most ppl thought we would lose last week and now everyone thinks we're going to blowout D.C. lol. Granted, it is DC and i think they'll win 3-0:scarf:. Hopefully all this optimism isn't jinxing them.

InDa_110
03-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Up to 5cm of rain snow mix Friday night into Saturday morning. Hmmmm

OgtheDim
03-20-2014, 06:40 PM

The Weather Network now have kickoff time on the hourly forecast as Sunny, 2 feeling like 0, with winds out of the south at 7 kph. They say its actually supposed to get slightly warmer between 4 and 5....all those warm bodies packed together I suppose. :)

The hourly forcasts are more accurate then the overnight, which is why I edited out something where I disagree with you. :o

Auzzy
03-20-2014, 07:25 PM

They may cover the field again before the rain/snow overnight Friday - Saturday, like they did for the big rain this week, to prevent the field from getting too soggy. However the ice pellets won't just run off the tarp like rain would, so who knows.

InDa_110
03-20-2014, 07:49 PM
The Weather Network now have kickoff time on the hourly forecast as Sunny, 2 feeling like 0, with winds out of the south at 7 kph. They say its actually supposed to get slightly warmer between 4 and 5....all those warm bodies packed together I suppose. :)

The hourly forcasts are more accurate then the overnight, which is why I edited out something where I disagree with you. :o

Seems to be different every outlet I check. 680, CTV, Weather Channel all have different reports for next 48 hours.

lobo
03-20-2014, 08:02 PM
there is one thing i am most looking forward to on saturday, something that has been far too rare for the past few seasons.

THE POST-MATCH GATE 3 VICTORY CELEBRATION !

BuSaPuNk
03-20-2014, 08:22 PM
there is one thing i am most looking forward to on saturday, something that has been far too rare for the past few seasons.

THE POST-MATCH GATE 3 VICTORY CELEBRATION !

Dam right!!!! Win Lose or Draw we should be doing it again every home game!

Derko
03-20-2014, 08:47 PM
This thread is about the TFC vs DC United game right, not about Laba vs. Bradley hypothesis.

I think it will be 3-1 TFC win with Bradley scoring a free kick and Dero scoring, and Defoe bagging another.

jloome
03-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Yikes, not much faith from the DC faithful. In their pregame big soccer poll they've voted overwhelmingly that their first goal will be an own goal.

They've seemed pretty lost so far offensively. Nobody to produce decent service for EJ. Pontius is sorely missed.

notthesun
03-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Latest from Nelsen. Think we'll see Gilberto get 20 or so minutes off the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSLy6oIE7c

OgtheDim
03-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Yeah, that looks good for Gilberto being on the bench and coming on for DeRo. Certainly playing against RSL. Start against Columbus.

Him and Cesar were walking up the stairs behind Caldwell at the end of his interview, starting at about 1:40. Looks like he is playing Candy Crush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ig6pPWWY9ZU&list =UUc1qA_64TEqAX9pnGJOO0Dw#t=108

:thumbsup:

UltraSuperMegaMo
03-20-2014, 09:50 PM

Ok....they are white.

I hate these free give aways cause people feel the need to act like inhuman jackasses and grab like thirty pairs and push and shove like it's the fall of Dunhuang. You can't put a price in dignity, oh wait yes you can... free mittens!

Outside of these amp'd for the match.

billyfly
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
The weather on Saturday will be fun.

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2014, 11:24 PM
People riding into the the ex on the go train for the game look out for this.

https://bay168.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=Tr7p6fTcnLIaZMINoLHLMT7xDNw1KztruAWXeArBFtc %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimage.mlsefanmail.com%2flib%2ffed 316717160047c%2fm%2f5%2fTFC%2bTrain%2bWrap%2bGO%2b Train.jpg

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2014, 11:32 PM
I am looking forward to this man being a beast in net and making great saves. Looking forward to a Reds victory on Saturday. It can not come soon enough.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1509729_10203502565464483_1960424914_n.jpg

OgtheDim
03-21-2014, 06:14 AM
5 cm of stuff to melt around our boots tomorrow afternoon.

But we're getting new mittens so........

Bring it on Mother Nature!

Technorgasm
03-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Does anyone have any info/quotes/tmeperature aabotu what DC Untied Fans are thinkgin ahead of the fixcture tomorrow?
Big Soccer?
I assume there will be away support, they usually come. . . . . Can anyone Confirm?

Its a Bloody L-O-N-G Day!

Redcoe15
03-21-2014, 07:34 AM
People riding into the the ex on the go train for the game look out for this.

https://bay168.mail.live.com/Handlers/ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=Tr7p6fTcnLIaZMINoLHLMT7xDNw1KztruAWXeArBFtc %3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fimage.mlsefanmail.com%2flib%2ffed 316717160047c%2fm%2f5%2fTFC%2bTrain%2bWrap%2bGO%2b Train.jpg
Look out for what? I just see a boxed red X.

Oldtimer
03-21-2014, 07:39 AM
Does anyone have any info/quotes/tmeperature aabotu what DC Untied Fans are thinkgin ahead of the fixcture tomorrow?
Big Soccer?

Here's what they are thinking (and they sound a lot like us when Mr. Short-Pants was coaching):

The key to any points in this game is to try to stay compact in our third and try to deny Defoe any real space. Any chances for us will likely be on the counter. However, I don't know if this team has the smarts (i.e. coaching) and organization to play an effective counter game.

Judging by how DeRosario routinely pisses on his former teams, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he'll torch The United. If DC gets out of this sure loss without any major injuries I will be elated.

I'm not feeling too optimistic. Best scenario: Toronto underestimates us and we sneak in a goal or two.

With this coaching staff and their "tactics" expect the same bullshit. DC gets crushed 4-1.

Tighten your chinstraps and brace for impact. This is going to be ugly.

I'm inspired by their pessimism to predict a TFC win.

tfcleeds
03-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Eeep! Now there's some pessimism. The sentiments on that board are eerily familiar to this one, usually 7 or 8 games into the season the last 2-3 years. But only before your second match?

Pookie
03-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Interesting comment on DC regarding scoring on the counter.

Despite my destain for the way our team treats possession, being out shot, etc. Playing a counter attacking style is arguably one of the better suited strategies for our team at present. They don't have the passing accuracy of the rest of the league and that makes possession a challenge. It means they run more often than not but at least there are numbers back.

If DC plays a counter game and we do too… first one to blink loses?

ryan
03-21-2014, 08:39 AM
Reading those DC quotes one sticks out in particular....

...Best scenario: Toronto underestimates us.....

When the hell has anyone ever been worried about TFC UNDERESTIMATING another club?

Initial B
03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
I get the feeling that we'll be seeing a different set of tactics from Nelsen when TFC is the superior team. TFC might end up playing the possession style this week instead.

Then again, the weather might make any sort of tactics moot as the ball will probably bounce weird with all the snow on the pitch tomorrow,assuming the weather forcasts are to be believed. I wonder what Garber will say when he sees video of the match - I hope that deep-sixes any thought in his mind of moving to a winter schedule. He should show it to the FIFA executives. :)

Pookie
03-21-2014, 09:26 AM
I get the feeling that we'll be seeing a different set of tactics from Nelsen when TFC is the superior team. TFC might end up playing the possession style this week instead.

Then again, the weather might make any sort of tactics moot as the ball will probably bounce weird with all the snow on the pitch tomorrow,assuming the weather forcasts are to be believed. I wonder what Garber will say when he sees video of the match - I hope that deep-sixes any thought in his mind of moving to a winter schedule. He should show it to the FIFA executives. :)

I was hoping for the same thing. Against a team they should beat, try to improve those categories (possession, shots on target, passing accuracy etc). The more you listen to the forecast the more it looks like it could be a "muddy big deal"… (<-- see what I did there?)

Carts
03-21-2014, 09:46 AM
I was hoping for the same thing. Against a team they should beat, try to improve those categories (possession, shots on target, passing accuracy etc). The more you listen to the forecast the more it looks like it could be a "muddy big deal"… (<-- see what I did there?)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KLr7r0-f1WI/UYOhlPfML3I/AAAAAAAAJmM/YQy305JFVME/s1600/.0.jpg

Ultra & Proud
03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
When the hell has anyone ever been worried about TFC UNDERESTIMATING another club?
I was back when we blew it against the Islanders at BMO in CCL and when we played Edmonton in Canadian Champ matches. Only in those tourneys though. Never in MLS.

Fort York Redcoat
03-21-2014, 09:58 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KLr7r0-f1WI/UYOhlPfML3I/AAAAAAAAJmM/YQy305JFVME/s1600/.0.jpg

Quoted for Funny

ag futbol
03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Despite my destain for the way our team treats possession, being out shot, etc. Playing a counter attacking style is arguably one of the better suited strategies for our team at present. They don't have the passing accuracy of the rest of the league and that makes possession a challenge.

I remember when people said this under Carver, then it took Cummins all of one game for TFC to start working the ball around on the ground.

We have the personelle to play a possession game. The front 6 are solid with the ball at their feet and so is the keeper. Both players in the middle of the park are excellent at moving the ball. The backline is below average by MLS standards but not by much.

See how they do as the season progresses. They will likely make some improvements. Tactical adjustability will be something to watch for. Teams aren't going to be eager to let TFC counter, so we have to be flexible.

Pint
03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
The weather network is showing that the snow will start around 11pm tonight and end by 6am tomorrow. It will be around 4 degrees at kickoff as well, lets hope this is reality.

CBTFC
03-21-2014, 10:53 AM
The weather network is showing that the snow will start around 11pm tonight and end by 6am tomorrow. It will be around 4 degrees at kickoff as well, lets hope this is reality.

The Weather Network hourly forecast, looking ahead no further than 24 hours, is pretty damn accurate based on my experience. They're calling for winds not much more than 10-15km/h, which is nothing.

Detroit_TFC
03-21-2014, 10:57 AM
That is a better wind forecast than others I've seen, hope it's the right one.

Canary10
03-21-2014, 11:01 AM
That is a better wind forecast than others I've seen, hope it's the right one.

You have to multiply it by 5 to get wind conditions at BMO remember.

brad
03-21-2014, 11:08 AM
Funny how most ppl thought we would lose last week and now everyone thinks we're going to blowout D.C. lol. Granted, it is DC and i think they'll win 3-0:scarf:. Hopefully all this optimism isn't jinxing them.

Big difference between an away game at one of, if not the toughest places in the league to play, and a home game against one of the weaker teams in the league. Especially how strong home field advantage is in the MLS.