PDA

View Full Version : 4 1st round picks, what do we do with them?

AdamAM
03-16-2014, 01:19 PM
I know it's way too early in the season to start talking about the draft, but I feel like the fact that TFC has 4 (FOUR!!) first rounders this year is never talked about. If I'm not mistaken, they are from Chivas (for Boca) Portland (Urruti trade) and Seattle (Frei trade), as well as our own. These will probably all end up being mid to late first round, and the quality in the draft definitely does take a dip after the first 3-5 picks, but my question is, what do we do with them? Keep them, and hope we get some good non-international depth out of them? Trade 2 for a decent player in the league right now? Trade all 4 for a really good player in the league right now? I think TFC doesn't have to much to offer player-wise in a trade, so these draft picks will by and large be the way we get any good talent from trades this year. Thoughts?

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 01:37 PM
I would keep them for depth, which is key for any MLS teams success.

TFC07
03-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Most likely we will trade some of them to move up in the draft plus allocation money (to use to sign more players) or trade for a player or two.

I would be shocked if we use all draft picks. There isn't going to be much room on this roster especially when we're starting to sign players from academy every year.

OgtheDim
03-16-2014, 01:42 PM
We will and should keep each of them to develop depth.

BTW, there is no non-DP player worth trading all 4 for.

prizby
03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
We will and should keep each of them to develop depth.

BTW, there is no non-DP player worth trading all 4 for.

Will Johnson!

---

In all seriousness, hopefully Chivas tanks and we have pick 3 (Orlando and NYCFC get pick 1 and 2)...hopefully that can be Cyle Larin; hopefully one of Seattle or Portland don't make the playoffs and we get another top 10 (11) pick...probably use at least one if not 2 on players with 'potential' that are generation addidas players than you fill in rest with depth needs unless you see someone as a starter 2 or 3 years down the road; probably in no order, 1 striker, 1 outside mid, 1 central mid, and 1 right or central back

djking2
03-16-2014, 02:20 PM
We gave up Frei for one of those draft picks. I'd like to think we would use one or two of those picks to pick up a player of Stef's calibre in return.

BuSaPuNk
03-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I would like to move two of them to move up as high as possible. If Chivas stinks this year we will pick high no matter what, the only problem it's probably only going to be 3rd as Orlando and NYCFC are probably picking 1/2. Either way if we can get in the top 5 with the Chivas pick we acquired I'd like to keep all four. Especially focus on getting Generation Adidas players that will not count on our cap and gives us more flexibility with our roster.

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Considering we traded a 2015 second round pick last year for all people, Michael Thomas and got a late first rounder for Bobby Convey, real value for draft picks I see only comes with high ones.

Initial B
03-16-2014, 03:23 PM
The best use of those draft picks is to package the lower picks into trades with other teams for draft picks in years later down the road. Trade two of the 2015 picks for a first-round pick each in 2016 and 2017.

Shakes McQueen
03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Figure out where we need depth most over the course of this season, then trade a couple of those picks to move up in the draft and get a couple of solid depth players who could be more if they break right.

Our wagon has been thoroughly hitched to 3-4 players for the next few years, so it's imperative to build up the remainder of the team around them.

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
03-16-2014, 04:14 PM
And with the draft in Philly, the Red Patch boys should be out in full force.

prizby
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
And with the draft in Philly, the Red Patch boys should be out in full force.

it is in philly again? They should move the draft to the weekend; I would rather use my days off for away games.

mcolvy
03-16-2014, 05:12 PM
Draft picks are good assets right now with the two new teams joining the league next season. The expansion draft is quite a mood killer and all those teams with solid depth are going to be picked off. Luckily our draft picks are protected assets. Fine by me. I think the four might end up with trading 2 of them for a higher draft slot, so with four we could have two decent pickups.

mcolvy
03-16-2014, 05:14 PM
I want to figure out come expansion draft who we might end up losing and what strategy we should play. Usually teams could keep their pricy DPs in play since they knew the brand new franchises didn't have the money for the salaries but this time around its a little different..

mcolvy
03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
I want to figure out come expansion draft who we might end up losing and what strategy we should play. Usually teams could keep their pricy DPs in play since they knew the brand new franchises didn't have the money for the salaries but this time around its a little different..

If rules are the same and we can protect 11, then Id go with:

Morrow

Henry

Hall

Bradley

Defoe

Bendik

Dike

Jackson

Gilberto

Osorio

Rey

OgtheDim
03-16-2014, 05:43 PM
I would not be surprised if MLS creates a rule that says no DP can be picked in an expansion draft.

Richard
03-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Mr. Allocation?

notthesun
03-16-2014, 06:24 PM

Morrow

Henry

Hall

Bradley

Defoe

Bendik

Dike

Jackson

Gilberto

Osorio

Rey

Homegrown players are automatically protected and don't count towards the 11 so Henry and Osorio (and our other HG players) are safe.

Pookie
03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
For the love of God, Darwin or whomever is the pinnacle of your faith....... KEEP THEM!

Yohan
03-16-2014, 07:03 PM
For the love of God, Darwin or whomever is the pinnacle of your faith....... KEEP THEM!
unless it's a low pick, then trade them! ;)

Pookie
03-16-2014, 07:51 PM
unless it's a low pick, then trade them! ;)

For a higher pick ;)

Yohan
03-16-2014, 08:24 PM
For a higher pick ;)
Depends ;)

I think keeping 2 high picks will be ideal. But this number changes depending on few factors

-How does TFC roster change by end of 2014 season, and what needs does TFC have for 2015?
-Who does TFC lose in expansion draft? (likely 1, maybe 2)
-Does Tim B make trades prior to Superdraft? And if yes, who looks good in Class of 2015 worth picking and will at least contribute as depth for 2015 season?
-Who is worth signing from TFC academy? (Manella? Roubos?)

And you want to keep a few spots open for trialists/overseas signings. TFC may also need to swap a pick for some allocation cash to keep the roster intact.

A lot of factors, what ifs to see how many picks TFC keeps right now. But 4 1st rd picks panning out is rather optimistic, esp when they can be swapped for other assets.
One thing I'd like to see is how Cyle Larin progresses, and if he is getting better like he should and gets a GA contract, TFC should be making some trades for whichever number Larin might go for. (probably no less than #3?)

prizby
03-16-2014, 11:51 PM

Morrow

Henry

Hall

Bradley

Defoe

Bendik

Dike

Jackson

Gilberto

Osorio

Rey

really hall?; wonder if henry and morgan are auto-protected as home growns; think they'll protect Hagglund and either Caldwell or Bekker

I would not be surprised if MLS creates a rule that says no DP can be picked in an expansion draft.

it's called a no trade clause

Homegrown players are automatically protected and don't count towards the 11 so Henry and Osorio (and our other HG players) are safe.

Oso isn't home grown

One thing I'd like to see is how Cyle Larin progresses, and if he is getting better like he should and gets a GA contract, TFC should be making some trades for whichever number Larin might go for. (probably no less than #3?)

Apparently Larin's $$$ demands were too rich for MLS

molenshtain
03-16-2014, 11:54 PM
Oso isn't home grown

pretty sure he is isn't he? wasn't the thing about him that he had spent just enough training sessions with the academy that he got HG status?

Yohan
03-16-2014, 11:54 PM
really hall?; wonder if henry and morgan are auto-protected as home growns; think they'll protect Hagglund and either Caldwell or Bekker

Henry and Morgan are on their 2nd contract and no longer considered HG players

Oso isn't home grown
by MLS definition, he met the criteria for HG player

Apparently Larin's $$$ demands were too rich for MLS
well we will see what happens a year from now. does Larin have an EU passport?

mcolvy
03-17-2014, 12:45 AM

Again, going from the last expansion draft rules, only the homegrowns on the developmental slots will be counted that way. So if they are apart of the main 20 then they are in play. I am not sure if their contracts make them within that front 20.

prizby
03-17-2014, 08:11 AM

I thought this might be the case, but I wasn't sure; but this is the first time this will happen, so it will be interesting to see what happens

pretty sure he is isn't he? wasn't the thing about him that he had spent just enough training sessions with the academy that he got HG status?

by MLS definition, you need to have spent a year in a club's academy...Oso didn't; which is why he isn't listed as home grown here: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/http%3A//pressbox.mlssoccer.com/homegrownplayers

not that i know of

ManUtd4ever
03-17-2014, 08:22 AM
By going all in on top end players, management really has no choice but to keep all of our draft picks in order to supplement our roster with depth players on cap friendly contracts.

It would be foolish to trade them for allocation as that would only provide temporary cap relief. We need need to address our needs with long term solutions, and other than our Academy, the MLS Superdraft is the only viable option.

PopePouri
03-17-2014, 09:03 AM
There's 2 expansion teams next year and they're going to be looking for as many players from the draft as possible. If the 1 or 2 talent is incredible (on Andre Blake level), we can deal two of our picks to them for their 1 or 2 pick.

Leedsoronto
03-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Most likely we will trade some of them to move up in the draft plus allocation money (to use to sign more players) or trade for a player or two.

I would be shocked if we use all draft picks. There isn't going to be much room on this roster especially when we're starting to sign players from academy every year.

Agreed, we have more talent in the Academy, we don't even need these picks

MartinUtd
03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Keep them all. We'll need them after the double expansion draft.