PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation to BMO on Gameday

Gilberto9
03-15-2014, 12:35 PM
We all know transit is a mess in Toronto... I read somewhere on the forum that Leiweke is looking into improving public transit on game days. Someone also said TFC is looking into a deal to allow GO Train to provide free transportation to BMO (I can't recall which user said this). I personally am affected by high Go train ticket prices, sometimes they're more expensive than the actual ticket. Is there a source that says Leiweke is trying to help those using public transit? When will some sort of plan be put into effect?

Ivy
03-15-2014, 01:15 PM
It was suggested during the presentation of the renovation plan to BMO field a few weeks ago. No mention of an exact plan or when something like this would take affect. I'm gonna assume not any time before the stadium is fully renovated. (2016 - 2017)

james
03-15-2014, 03:08 PM
We all know transit is a mess in Toronto... I read somewhere on the forum that Leiweke is looking into improving public transit on game days. Someone also said TFC is looking into a deal to allow GO Train to provide free transportation to BMO (I can't recall which user said this). I personally am affected by high Go train ticket prices, sometimes they're more expensive than the actual ticket. Is there a source that says Leiweke is trying to help those using public transit? When will some sort of plan be put into effect?

well I know transit is shit, but it has improved since even just a year ago on the Lakeshore line. Trains along Lakeshore use to be every hour, and what a pain that was when it was a matter of leaving say at the 80th or 85th minute to get the train or stay till the 90th minute and then have to wait 50 minutes for the next train. Anyways now the trains are every half hour every day of the week minus Sundays (do we even play on any Sundays this year?). I herd they are also doing construction to Hamilton station to improve Hamilton GO train service, making it part of the regular Lakeshore line. (it currently only runs to Hamilton during rush hour service, rest of the time the line ends at Aldershot)

I also heard there is construction underway to improve trains to Kitchener, they currently only use to be a couple train rides a day but will change to hourly train service, I think 2015 is when the changes are expected, anyone know more info about that?

I am actually shocked tho how bad the Milton line through to Meadowvale, Streetville and cooksville and on to Union only runs during rush hour service in the week. WOW that is brutal, can you believe a city as big as Mississauga with a population over 700,000 people only has 2 stations (port Credit and Clarkson) that has full daily service to a major city like Toronto. Just awful. That is a bit of a mission to go from Streetsville to Clarkson just to get to the closest station. And Milton has no service outside of rush hour. That is far distance from the closest full train service Oakville station.

Anyone know how service from Brampton, Barrie, Richmond and Lincolnville GO train lines are like??

james
03-15-2014, 03:14 PM

well the trains are high priced. But from experience living in London, Uk I can say there prices were high like ours as well. I think its the price we have to pay for transit to improve. In London they had special express trains for Football fans at some games, but the prices weren't any less cheaper. They might have had cheaper special deals for away fans tho travelling further distances, but we don't really have that issue as we normally don't travel to away games by train.

Justin10000
03-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Don't expect any sort of discount for travel to BMO field, and quite frankly, I don't see why transit agencies would want to provide free transport for sports fans.
You live far from Toronto, and you shouldn't expect to get a free ride. Suck it up, and save money.

tfcleeds
03-15-2014, 08:10 PM
I remember year 1, year 2, the Bathurst route had express buses to BMO Field on gameday. Beyond that, I don't think there'd be much else.

Justin10000
03-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Providing extra service so fans can get home is fine, and the TTC does that. But it's not free, and shouldn't be.

WestStandGeoff
03-15-2014, 08:18 PM
During the CNE, TTC runs express buses from Dundas West Station to the bus/streetcar loop just north of the Dufferin Gate. Would be nice to see that happen for TFC matches - there's also the Bloor GO station there, so lots of options for people heading to the west or northwest.

prizby
03-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I think Leiweke was looking at least encouraging season seat holders to use public transit by 'paying for it'; how they work that out, I don't know, but I reckon, in the future we will see season tickets on a card like Vancouver has or something like that and I figure there will be a way on game day to use that card to tap/slide/show to get on public transit without paying

james
03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
During a time when Toronto is trying to find anyway they can to make more money to spend on better transit improvements and infrastructure to the entire GTA. They need a lot of money to do this, such as maybe higher property taxes, car taxes, car tolls, higher ticket prices and so on....so it would seem weird for them to all of a sudden offer free transit to games. On game days they probably make thousands of extra dollars that they normally wouldn't make, its extra money that the transit needs. At least that's what I think.

Waggy
03-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Seems like people are confusing terms here. Leiweke said free as in the user doesn't pay for transit. Not that the TTC would be providing free transit to the games. MLSE would be working out a deal where they are paying whatever to get SSH transit passes of some sort. The city wouldn't be donating TTC buses/st cars to MLSE to use for free

Gilberto9
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Seems like people are confusing terms here. Leiweke said free as in the user doesn't pay for transit. Not that the TTC would be providing free transit to the games. MLSE would be working out a deal where they are paying whatever to get SSH transit passes of some sort. The city wouldn't be donating TTC buses/st cars to MLSE to use for free

Yeah, that's what I meant. Free pass onto a regular scheduled bus/train with your game ticket. Sorry for the confusion.

Gilberto9
03-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Don't expect any sort of discount for travel to BMO field, and quite frankly, I don't see why transit agencies would want to provide free transport for sports fans.
You live far from Toronto, and you shouldn't expect to get a free ride. Suck it up, and save money.

I didn't expect it, but I read Leweike was looking into it. I don't expect to get free tickets on GO Trains, but I'm aware it's going to be potentially offered to us. That's why I'm looking into it.

james
03-16-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't know the details Leweike had in mind or really know anything about it. But I wouldn't mind getting cheaper deals, hell keep a few extra bucks in my pocket, but I find it hard to believe. I mean from where I am in Oakville a train return ride to Exhibition is about $13.50 on presto card, my TFC season tickets in the South End this year added up to something like $11 a game. So they might as well just give us a free season ticket then, lol. It's a nice gesture, but maybe Leweike doesn't know the transit system and the costs.

Gilberto9
03-16-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't know the details Leweike had in mind or really know anything about it. But I wouldn't mind getting cheaper deals, hell keep a few extra bucks in my pocket, but I find it hard to believe. I mean from where I am in Oakville a train return ride to Exhibition is about $13.50 on presto card, my TFC season tickets in the South End this year added up to something like $11 a game. So they might as well just give us a free season ticket then, lol. It's a nice gesture, but maybe Leweike doesn't know the transit system and the costs.

Exactly. A return ticket from Burlington is like $19. Until this season, I haven't bought actual game tickets for more than that.

Justin10000
03-16-2014, 05:28 PM
If MLSE is willing to offset the costs, that's fine with me, as long it MLSE who is paying, and not the transit agency.
I don't want government to be subsidizing us sports fans.

james
03-16-2014, 05:31 PM
ya, but that's the costs of travelling to a big city. Usually either pay the high costs of living in the city with lack of space but lots of other convience, or pay less money to live in the spaciest suburbs or country side but spend a lot of time and money on travelling into the city.

james
03-16-2014, 05:34 PM
But how does it compare to people taking other GO train lines, is it a pain in the ass or do trains and other transit link up ok to get to Exhibition?

Derko
03-16-2014, 05:50 PM
well I know transit is shit, but it has improved since even just a year ago on the Lakeshore line. Trains along Lakeshore use to be every hour, and what a pain that was when it was a matter of leaving say at the 80th or 85th minute to get the train or stay till the 90th minute and then have to wait 50 minutes for the next train. Anyways now the trains are every half hour every day of the week minus Sundays (do we even play on any Sundays this year?). I herd they are also doing construction to Hamilton station to improve Hamilton GO train service, making it part of the regular Lakeshore line. (it currently only runs to Hamilton during rush hour service, rest of the time the line ends at Aldershot)

I also heard there is construction underway to improve trains to Kitchener, they currently only use to be a couple train rides a day but will change to hourly train service, I think 2015 is when the changes are expected, anyone know more info about that?

I am actually shocked tho how bad the Milton line through to Meadowvale, Streetville and cooksville and on to Union only runs during rush hour service in the week. WOW that is brutal, can you believe a city as big as Mississauga with a population over 700,000 people only has 2 stations (port Credit and Clarkson) that has full daily service to a major city like Toronto. Just awful. That is a bit of a mission to go from Streetsville to Clarkson just to get to the closest station. And Milton has no service outside of rush hour. That is far distance from the closest full train service Oakville station.

Anyone know how service from Brampton, Barrie, Richmond and Lincolnville GO train lines are like??

Shit, the same as Mississauga

james
03-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Shit, the same as Mississauga

I just always thought every GO line was some what like the Lakeshore Line. I am honestly stunned to find out how bad other GO Lines are, even in major places like Brampton (population of over 523,000) and North Mississauga. These are major areas with no service outside of rush hour. That's just so sad. Toronto transit is worse then I ever thought it was.

Gilberto9
03-16-2014, 07:10 PM
I just always thought every GO line was some what like the Lakeshore Line. I am honestly stunned to find out how bad other GO Lines are, even in major places like Brampton (population of over 523,000) and North Mississauga. These are major areas with no service outside of rush hour. That's just so sad. Toronto transit is worse then I ever thought it was. Maybe it will help to privatize transportation in and around the GTA. Well at least that's what a lot of people think these days in Toronto.

james
03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Maybe it will help to privatize transportation in and around the GTA. Well at least that's what a lot of people think these days in Toronto.

Well Metro Linx has huge plans to improve GO Trains, Subways, and Light Rail Transit to the entire GTA. If we follow through with them all these lines will be improved. The problem is our politicians who know nothing about transit, get in the way. They try to win votes for neighbourhoods that might not always be what we need most. Politicians argue, cancel planned transit deals, and restart new ones, we move at a snail pace while our population grows much, much faster.

Privatize I have herd examples in cities where it has completely failed, but other where it has worked well. I have herd where non privitized has worked great, entire cities planned and built. Yet in our case it hasn't worked as well as it should of, we are 30-50 years behind where we should be. If we do privatize, I think we need a balance, no private all the way. Or just let MetroLinx do there shit, we need to pay higher taxes in all different areas, we need money, it must be done some point or other, stop arguing and putting taxes off as if we can just get the money out of thin air. The province also need to be a bigger part of this transit, we need the money, we are a huge part of the province economy and population. We do that now, and we can start building tomorrow and get the show on the road!