PDA

View Full Version : Edu named to 33 man US National Team Squad for Argentina, England & Spain.

superfrankielampard
05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Not sure how much of a surprise Wynne not being named in the squad is. I had a feeling he may have a shot at cracking the roster, but it'll be nice to have him around with TFC.

Anyway here's the list.

Source: Soccer by Ives

Here is the 33-player pool:
GOALKEEPERS- Dominic Cervi (Out of Contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS- Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids)
FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nate Jaqua (Out of Contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich)

werewolf
05-16-2008, 12:27 AM
bittersweet...at least we can keep Wynne, too bad for him though.

If Jaqua was good enough to make the roster, maybe we should of kept him...

Azerban
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
bittersweet...at least we can keep Wynne, too bad for him though.

If Jaqua was good enough to make the roster, maybe we should of kept him...

Austrian Bundesliga, nuff said.

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Good to see Edu go, National Team duty is a great honour, we have the depth to lesson the blow of his loss for a bit.

werewolf
05-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Austrian Bundesliga, nuff said.

current home of Alexander Zickler and Carsten Jancker :D

There has to be some legit reason why he was chosen, call-up Edson Buddle if they are that desperate.

Yohan
05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Hopefully Edu actually gets some caps and not waste bench space when he could be playing for us.

US midfield is pretty solid. Edu faces some stiff competition

superfrankielampard
05-16-2008, 12:51 AM
is it just me or is 33 people A LOT of people to name for a squad? Like whats the point in selecting 5 keepers?!?!

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
What are the dates of the above mentioned games???(ARG, ENG, SPAIN)

are all the dates in conflict with TFC Games??

werewolf
05-16-2008, 12:55 AM
May 28th @ England, June 4th @ Spain, June 8th vs. Argentina (in NY)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 01:04 AM
May 28th @ England, June 4th @ Spain, June 8th vs. Argentina (in NY)

Can we squeeze him into any TFC matches during that time???

Or is he gonna be with the national team straight from the 28th of may until June 08th???:rolleyes:

werewolf
05-16-2008, 01:08 AM
The only game he could play for us would be Galaxy on the 31st, doubt he would fly across the Atlantic for it and back again. The game in Houston is on the same day as their game in Argentina. No guarantee he is on the final roster though.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 01:13 AM
The only game he could play for us would be Galaxy on the 31st, doubt he would fly across the Atlantic for it and back again. The game in Houston is on the same day as their game in Argentina. No guarantee he is on the final roster though.

Thanks! you are a fountain of knowledge!

Although i think it could be a very real possiblity of having him for the galaxy game...no?:confused:

King Jeff
05-16-2008, 06:05 AM
At what point, if any, does this 33-man roster get trimmed down to 23-ish?

nfitz
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
The US team also has World Cup qualifiers on June 15 and June 22nd, which if Edu is playing, I would think would make his involvement on June 14th and June 21st difficult.

rocker
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
i knew Wynne was on the bubble to make the national team. his only time with the nats was when they weren't bringing in the euro players.

The funny thing is, I think Wynne has been better than Edu so far this season. It seems that Wynne got more out of his experience with the nats than Edu did.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
No Edu for the Canada cup in Montreal. Who behind Mo in the team sheet?

S_D
05-16-2008, 08:46 AM

Harmse is a D-mid and doesn't Tebily have experience there too?

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 08:48 AM
This is the roster pool for all three of their friendlies, that each 22 man roster is selected from, I am sure the same 22 players will not be on the roster for each game, so who knows about the availability of Maurice until were know the 22 man side for the England game.

Fort York Redcoat
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Nice either way. Montreal look out!

Don Julio
05-16-2008, 09:07 AM

Tyler Hemming

..oh, whoops.

Razcle
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I won't be too disappointed to see Edu had over and miss a few TFC games...I think he needs to build up his stock a bit more. Plus, he is not the player he once was for us mainly because the acquasitions we made in the midfield. I would be excited to see our depth come out playing with Guevara, Ricketts & Robert and see how much of an impact Edu actually has with this current team.

Lucky Strike
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
+1 Razcle. We won't be dead in the water without him. To replace him, I'd like to see Tébily as he can play a defensive midfielder role over penalty-or-red-card-waiting-to-happen Harmse. I hate that guy...

giambac
05-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Not sure how much of a surprise Wynne not being named in the squad is. I had a feeling he may have a shot at cracking the roster, but it'll be nice to have him around with TFC.

Anyway here's the list.

Source: Soccer by Ives

Here is the 33-player pool:
GOALKEEPERS- Dominic Cervi (Out of Contract), Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Tim Howard (Everton FC), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS- Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Dan Califf (FC Midtjylland), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Jay DeMerit (Watford FC), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Hansa Rostock), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)
MIDFIELDERS- Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Eddie Lewis (Derby County), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids)
FORWARDS- Jozy Altidore (New York Red Bulls), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Nate Jaqua (Out of Contract), Eddie Johnson (Fulham FC), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Josh Wolff (1860 Munich)

Great news on 2 counts.

Wynn has been on eof our best players (next to Guevera) so it will be great for TFC to hav ehim for the full season.

Edu has been a disappointment this year. Great rookie season last year but very inconsistent this year. I'm glad he is off to the US team. It will give some of our other players a chance to prove themselves. Maybe Edu can rediscover himself on the US national side becasue he hasn't done much for us this year.

I'm happier to have Wynn than Edu not missing any matches for TFC.

TorontoBlades
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM

as does Phelan

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Pat Phelan would be a good replacement, there will be a shuffle for sure as guys come and go as International Duty comes up.

05-16-2008, 04:29 PM
33 is just prelimenary..

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8144536/Beasley-back-on-U.S.-roster-for-friendlies

Red CB Toronto
05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I really do not see the US using the same 18 players for each game, the 33 players is the pool of players they will pick each lineup from.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Edu needs to step up more! I've been rather disappointed with his play. I mean yeah he's plugging away, he has passing grades, but i'm not sure...I've been left a little bit dis-enchanted with him lately...I hope he turns it around! cause i like they guy.