PDA

View Full Version : Matchday 1: Toronto at Seattle, Sat 15th March 4:30PM EST-SEASON OPENER

Pages : [1] 2 3

Richard
03-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Cant believe in less than 6 day we will see our transformed team in action. Albeit missing some of our new defense I think TFC will have Defoe and Bradley start, but Gilberto probably gets subbed on in the second half.

Hopefully the lack of preseason games isn't going to be an issue, but I expected a very quick pace game. I'm also interested in the refereeing situation and how it will effect the level of play.

TV: TSN

Steam:TBD

OgtheDim
03-10-2014, 10:34 PM
I would say based on what Nelsen said today that the current list of doubtful players to be able to start are:

Rey, Gilberto, Bloom and Orr

Probable:

Bradley, Defoe

daner90
03-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Cannot believe Game 1 is upon us! SO jacked!!!

backbeat
03-10-2014, 11:24 PM
will this game be on MLS LIVE? - I'm out of the country for this game and the home opener and am hoping i can watch them on MLS Live - does anyone know if the blackouts follow the subscriber or are determined by current IP address?

Pint
03-10-2014, 11:29 PM
will this game be on MLS LIVE? - I'm out of the country for this game and the home opener and am hoping i can watch them on MLS Live - does anyone know if the blackouts follow the subscriber or are determined by current IP address?

if you are in America you can watch on NBC i believe. not sure about MLS live though

Gilberto9
03-10-2014, 11:33 PM
will this game be on MLS LIVE? - I'm out of the country for this game and the home opener and am hoping i can watch them on MLS Live - does anyone know if the blackouts follow the subscriber or are determined by current IP address? IP address. If you're outside of Canada and USA, I'm sure it won't be blacked out.

ndtoronto
03-10-2014, 11:44 PM
@backbeat. Worse comes to worse, you will be able to find it on rojadirecta.me

Greatest Ripoff
03-11-2014, 03:29 AM
For anyone who will be in the UK, this is live on BT Sport at 8:30 pm. Can't wait.

Justin10000
03-11-2014, 04:50 AM
I would prefer Defoe, Bradley and Gilberto to be eased in. Playing their first game on turf worries me.

McBrace
03-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Why is it that Seattle's players can handle playing on this surface all season, and our side can't handle one match? I can understand managing their time due to just coming back from Minor injuries, but both Defoe and Bradley said they were 100% and ready to go. IF they don't start, its going to be an ugly season opener.

SKB
03-11-2014, 07:37 AM
My expectations are guarded for this first game. The first team 11 have not had enough time together. Also fake grass and tough opponent make it more difficult. A tie would be great, however a narrow loss seems to be in the cards. As long as we score a goal and we have some control of the midfield I will be happy.

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
My expectations are guarded for this first game. The first team 11 have not had enough time together. Also fake grass and tough opponent make it more difficult. A tie would be great, however a narrow loss seems to be in the cards. As long as we score a goal and we have some control of the midfield I will be happy.

Agreed. I think they could eek out a draw from the look of their season opener but I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised.

Initial B
03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I'm prepared for everything to go wrong on Saturday, with TFC losing 2-0 and one of our DPs getting injured on the turf. If any of these don't happen, I will rejoice.

brad
03-11-2014, 08:09 AM
I think/hope we will be fine from a ref perspective. There are two very experienced replacements (the guy that did the Seattle - KC game last week reffed a Bayern Champions League game last season). This match is going to be a marquee match for the MLS - (Bradley's debut, Dempsey involved, our offseason spending, ect) and I'm hoping they are going to want to have one of the solid ref's in charge of that one.

MartinUtd
03-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Why is it that Seattle's players can handle playing on this surface all season, and our side can't handle one match? I can understand managing their time due to just coming back from Minor injuries, but both Defoe and Bradley said they were 100% and ready to go. IF they don't start, its going to be an ugly season opener.

They get injuries too, look how long it took Demspey to recover. Also, we got particularly burned by that Frings injury two years ago so I think we're all just a little spooked by the prospect of a repeat.

tfcleeds
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I'll be happy to get out of there with a draw. I don't expect Defoe to start, but he'll make an appearance.

ryan
03-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Is it too early to camp out in line at Joe's?

ensco
03-11-2014, 09:30 AM
So I get to kickoff the game thread formation wars for 2014...here goes....I'm basing this on how much Nelsen played 4-4-1-1, it's not really what I would do (I might go 5 at the back for this one, at least for the first half, based on my sense of how preseason went).

I'm guessing he starts the Weedman, goes to Defoe at halftime. Mind you, the game is being broadcast in primetime in the UK, so Defoe will want to start, and Nelsen may have trouble saying no to that.

-------------------Defoe/Wiedeman-----------------
-------------------------Dero-------------------------
-----Jackson-----Bradley-----Hall------Osorio----
-----Morrow----Caldwell-----Henry----Richter-----

It wouldn't shock me if Dero is dropped at halftime for Bekker or Hamilton. Especially if the game doesn't look like we can get a result at that point.

Will be amusing to see Bradley tracking Dempsey. Wonder when that last happened.

SoccMan2
03-11-2014, 09:55 AM
4-0 loss to Seattle I just don't get the feeling anything has changed with this team, this team is just not ready to start and by the time they get it going, if they get it going the playoffs will just be a dream. When I look at this team and still see guys like Hall, Morgan and Weideman as your depth and even as starters and a still not ready to start center back in a guy like Henry and throw in a coach who I think is in over his head and I just don't see this team going anywhere.

MartinUtd
03-11-2014, 10:02 AM
We won't get shut out. Something tells me Frei will let in a soft one. How our defense fares is a different question though.

Ageroo
03-11-2014, 10:08 AM
We won't get shut out. Something tells me Frei will let in a soft one. How our defense fares is a different question though.

I think we'll score as well, but like Martin said....our defending is what potentially is worrisome.

OgtheDim
03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Tactically, I think we are going to live or die by Bradley.

As for winning, we are going to live or die by Cesar.

I believe TFC will keep the inner pair of Bradley and Osorio - that's our midfield for this season. I suspect Hall is out of favour. That puts DeRo out on the left wing. Which is going to give Yedlin a LOT of space.

I also think they will put Hagglund out at RB. Jackson better have his bike on as he is going to need to be going up and down all game.

I can see us scoring 1 or 2. Cesar will be asked to make a LOT of saves though.

LFC8
03-11-2014, 10:43 AM
Toughest game of the season. Seattle has the best record at home since they came into the league and we obviously haven't developed much chemistry yet. So i'd be happy with a draw. I'm thinking 1-1.

Carts
03-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I agree - tough to get a win, grabbing a draw would be a good result...

If we are going to grab a draw, I'd almost rather it be 2-2 over 0-0. I think Cesar can deal with allowing 2 on the road - but the non-footy media will rip into us if he new 'high-priced / high-power TFC' can't score etc...

A 2-2 draw with Defoe getting at least one of them would be solid...

Of course, a 4-nil win would be just dandy too! :)

Carts...

Detroit_TFC
03-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Seattle will look to get behind our back line and they won't have any trouble doing so. If they control possession, we're going to have a rough go.

starter
03-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Based on what I saw in pre-season we would be lucky to escape losing by a couple of goals. Seattle needs to have an off day for TFC get a point there.

barticusz
03-11-2014, 11:59 AM
Seattle will push the pace against us for sure. I'm hoping Bradley truely is fit because he'll need to cover a lot of ground to help out the defenders. I'm looking forward to watching the matchup of Yedlin against whomever will be on his side. The guy is a workhorse and he could create a lot of problems for us.

It's funny to see all the Doom and Gloom posters already. I'm not sure what needs to happen for you in order to cheer for the team? Management goes out and has one of the best offseason's in league history and you're still calling them out. If you're expecting winning results right away then you'll likley be disappointed, but I do think that Nelson can get these guys going in the right direction. He's got so much more help in the dressing room now with guys like Defoe, and Bradley. It's going to be a very interesting season.

ensco
03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
It's not gloom and doom to expect to lose this game, and still expect to improve a lot in 2014.

tfcleeds
03-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Considering our best ever result in Seattle was a 0-0 draw in 2009, pretty hard not to be happy if we escape with one here. I'd actually sacrifice 3 points this week if it meant getting 3 points at our home opener.

Abou Sky
03-11-2014, 12:31 PM
It's not gloom and doom to expect to lose this game, and still expect to improve a lot in 2014.

I tend to be of the exact same view as Ensco here, I would be happy to escape without injury.

ensco
03-11-2014, 12:40 PM
If I am Nelsen, I have already conceded the points. This is a team, and a venue, that only the very best MLS teams would feel good about. This will be a very hostlie situation. A competitive game would be something to build on.

We had no Defoe, and barely had any chemistry in spring training. What is important is to get some quality play going.

We need Dero and Defoe and Osorio and Bradley to start developing some chemistry in the opposition half. In particular: getting Osorio going is a huge key, we need that to stop teams from just overloading on the other guys. He should have lots of space, teams will be focusing on Bradley. If Osorio isn't being talked about as an allstar his year, this lineup is going to fail.

OgtheDim
03-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Well if we want to be positive:

Seattle's defence is suspect and relies upon midfield dominance and wing pace to keep them from being exposed.

Bradley and Osorio and Defoe can expose that.

If Defoe starts, it will be interesting to see if their defence can push up as much as we usually experienced last season.

Super
03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
You guys didn't listen to Leiweke.

Why can't we be great?

:D

I'm hoping for a win. But I do acknowledge the fact that this is still at a very early stage, and we've had some injury problems. Still, we don't actually really know the strength of this team yet because the pre-season didn't tell us anything. Defoe may or may not be awesome right off the bat. Lots of unknowns. But I'm optimistic just the same, so I'll say 2-1 to the good guys.

Areathrasher
03-11-2014, 12:46 PM
If they can get out of Seattle without any injuries or controversey/embarrasment then it's fine.

If they can play like they did in the Philly preseason game and look a bit more proficient in the attacking third, i'll be happy.

Super
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
If I am Nelsen, I have already conceded the points. This is a team, and a venue, that only the very best MLS teams would feel good about. This will be a very hostlie situation. A competitive game would be something to build on.

We had no Defoe, and barely had any chemistry in spring training. What is important is to get some quality play going.

We need Dero and Defoe and Osorio and Bradley to start developing some chemistry in the opposition half. In particular: getting Osorio going is a huge key, we need that to stop teams from just overloading on the other guys. He should have lots of space, teams will be focusing on Bradley. If Osorio isn't being talked about as an allstar his year, this lineup is going to fail.

Then he should be sacked. You play to win, always. If you don't believe in your own tactics or players, then you shouldn't be running the show.

notthesun
03-11-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm not even going to guess a lineup due to all the wishy washy injuries being reported. All I'll say is I'm going to guess that Bradley and Defoe both start.

A loss doesn't put us too far behind the 8 ball due to how poorly the East did in the first week. A tie would be a nice result. A win? I dare to dream...

Initial B
03-11-2014, 01:12 PM
It's funny to see all the Doom and Gloom posters already. I'm not sure what needs to happen for you in order to cheer for the team? Management goes out and has one of the best offseason's in league history and you're still calling them out. If you're expecting winning results right away then you'll likley be disappointed, but I do think that Nelson can get these guys going in the right direction. He's got so much more help in the dressing room now with guys like Defoe, and Bradley. It's going to be a very interesting season.
I'm sorry, but have you been following TFC these past few years? Murphy's Law prevails in this club. I'm hoping this year won't be interesting in the chinese sense of the word. I'm sure that Nelsen will try to get the club moving in the right direction and the two Tims will make the best moves for the club they know how. But what seems to invariably happen with this club is fate throws them a curve and knocks them down, then throws another curve once they get up, knocking them down again. This generally happens 4 or 5 times a season with this club until the team stays down. I'm hoping this year they'll have Plans B thru Z in place to take whatever the season throws at them, but I'm afraid they've only prepared up to plan D.

If Nelsen and the FO are smart, they will operate with this in mind. Nelsen has said he coaches to win, but they need a healthy respect for what can (and will) go wrong this season. Playing Defoe on a surface he's never experienced before in competition is just tempting fate. I'd put him in no earlier than the 75th minute (preferably the 85 minute) just so he gets a feel for the turf in an actual game situation and minimize the risk of injury.

"Hope for the best but expect the worst" should be the mantra of everyone associated with TFC - from the FO down to the Supporters.

<edit: I don't mean to sound pessimistic, just pragmatic and realistic. It's Risk Management 101.>

Carts
03-11-2014, 01:20 PM
If I am Nelsen, I have already conceded the points.

I get what you're saying in terms of expectations, but if Nelsen or any member of this team has already conceded the 3-points - then I don't want them on my team to be honest...

You NEVER concede a result before it happens - as unrealistic as it can be. You always go out there with a goal, yes sometimes that being to kill the flow of the game and earn a draw, perhaps steal a win in a tough place. But NEVER concede the 3-points beforehand...

The beauty of football is that the margin for error is so small, it can be exploited, or you can be victimized by it...

Nelsen will have a strategy - and the players will need to execute. But with some good fortune, plenty of hard work, a favorable call, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN - which is why you never concede the points, or even have a tiny thought of that beforehand...

Carts...

ProfessorDamage
03-11-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm with the doomers. I think Seattle is a tough opponent, you're asking a lot of our un-gelled team including lengthy travel time and a three-hour time zone change. Hell, Defoe's head's probably still spinning because of the time-zone shift he had to make between the UK and Canada. Honestly a west-coast start against a strong team like this is the worst season opener we could ask for.

I think we'll drop this one, potentially badly (ie 3-0), but with the caveat that if we were playing this game three or four months from now, I might be predicting something very different.

ensco
03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
To me, the score will be the score. You are misunderstanding what "conceding the points" means, which is:

- protecting Dero and Defoe (don't start them, maybe don't play them)
- let's see what the kids have (Hamilton, Aparicio, and especially Bekker 2.0)
- working on getting Bradley positionally sorted (this is not straightforward in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1), and on his movement and combinations with the backline, with Osorio and with Jackson

Maybe if it's tied at halftime, you go for it. But if it's not, that is OK.

I do not want to take developmentally backwards steps in favour of low probability outcomes.

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
If everyone is ready to go...

--------------Cesar----------------

Orr---Henry---Caldwell---Morrow

Jackson---Bradley---Osorio---Rey

--------------DeRo-----------------

--------------Defoe----------------

Subs: Gilberto, Hall, Wiedeman, Morgan, Agboss, Bekker, Bendik

RealG-TFC
03-11-2014, 01:35 PM
I think we win 2 - 1. Seattle will have more chances but Cesar saves our asses. De Ro makes use of the few opportunities we get.

I was not overly impressed with Seattle's defence, and I part of me feels like all these injuries have been blown out of proportion to take some pressure off (and perhaps surprise).

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Best case scenario is a draw and no injuries in my opinion.

Our team is going to lack cohesion, especially in the first half when Seattle is going to come out strong. Frei is also going to be a man on a mission.

Cesar might steal a point if we get it together in the second half.

Phil
03-11-2014, 01:44 PM
A draw would be fair, I hope for a win.

I don't agree with the philosophy that management should write the game off, if a player did that and we noticed it we would be livid.

If we do loose, then look for the positives but don't try and bullshit us. Injuries, the surface and fitness of the team are the managed risks and decisions should be made before the game to mitigate them, but for 90 minutes it is what it is.

We haven't played a game yet, its the only time I can truly be optimistic :D

LFC8
03-11-2014, 01:49 PM
This isn't baseball where you just give a player a game off. If they're healthy then play them. You can't develop chemistry when you're best players are on the bench. You play to win. That doesn't mean we should go there and attack, attack, attack but there's too much talent on this team to just sit back and hope for a draw.

speckles
03-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I think we can grab a point(s) this week through individual brilliance only. Not just one but at least two individuals, one having to be Cesar and at least one other who provides/gets it in the back of the net. I hope for an outcome that just does not ratchet more pressure on the team, through injury or a blow out. Given time they will develop.

brad
03-11-2014, 01:58 PM
There is a difference between sitting back and hoping for a draw and playing for a draw and hoping for something better.

For an away game as tough as Seattle, playing for a draw is a solid approach.

That said, I predict 3-0 Seattle.

mowe
03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Seattle is by no means a powerhouse based on what I saw in their first game. They played better when Dempsey came on but we have Bradley and Defoe. I think we have a decent shot to get a result if the first choice fullbacks are healthy.

Side note: I haven't been this anxious about a game since the second leg against LA. I can't believe there are FOUR more days to go.

Super
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
I'm with the doomers. I think Seattle is a tough opponent, you're asking a lot of our un-gelled team including lengthy travel time and a three-hour time zone change. Hell, Defoe's head's probably still spinning because of the time-zone shift he had to make between the UK and Canada. Honestly a west-coast start against a strong team like this is the worst season opener we could ask for.

I think we'll drop this one, potentially badly (ie 3-0), but with the caveat that if we were playing this game three or four months from now, I might be predicting something very different.

We've had a pre-season just like anybody else. We've had time for the players to get to know each other, to train together, and to play against opposition together. All of this is similar to what any other teams, including Seattle, have done. Yes, we've taken in a lot of new players, but most of these are winners with experience, and who should be able to add quality immediately. Also, most of our new players have been in camp with the core group from last year. Nelsen had every opportunity for the starting line-up to learn about each other. That should all be good and done by now - or at least on level with anybody else in the league who shows up on game day prepared.

To lay it out there that it's tough, and therefore likely that we will lose, because it's a long trip is a bit BS to me. Teams travel a lot in this league. It's equal for everybody. Turf is equal for everybody as well. Defoe said as much. He said: no excuses. It's time to get to work!

That being said, yes, it's a tough fixture. But that's why we've brought in top class players. It's then up to the coach to use the players and motivate them for the task ahead. If he can't do that, then obviously he's in over his head.

Justin10000
03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
I tend to be of the exact same view as Ensco here, I would be happy to escape without injury.

Exactly.

That turf scares me. It's considered one of the worst in NFL.

brad
03-11-2014, 02:11 PM
We've had a pre-season just like anybody else. We've had time for the players to get to know each other, to train together, and to play against opposition together. All of this is similar to what any other teams, including Seattle, have done. Yes, we've taken in a lot of new players, but most of these are winners with experience, and who should be able to add quality immediately. Also, most of our new players have been in camp with the core group from last year. Nelsen had every opportunity for the starting line-up to learn about each other. That should all be good and done by now - or at least on level with anybody else in the league who shows up on game day prepared.

To lay it out there that it's tough, and therefore likely that we will lose, because it's a long trip is a bit BS to me. Teams travel a lot in this league. It's equal for everybody. Turf is equal for everybody as well. Defoe said as much. He said: no excuses. It's time to get to work!

That being said, yes, it's a tough fixture. But that's why we've brought in top class players. It's then up to the coach to use the players and motivate them for the task ahead. If he can't do that, then obviously he's in over his head.

It is the same for everyone, and everyone suffers on the road in this league - to varying degrees. Home field advantage is massive in the MLS. Take a look at this article from last year from beginning of September:

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/09/no-mls-team-playing-over-500-away-home

At the beginning of Sept 2013 - no team in the league was over .500 on the road. KC were top at .500 and they were 5-5-3. It drops of quickly after that. And this is not a limited anaylsis. Google "home field advantage MLS" and you will find article after article over the years point out exactly the same thing. Home field advantage is massive in our league.

So yes - it does affect everyone equally - over the course of the season. But for Saturday, it means that it affects us in a negative way and Seattle in a positive one. That doesn't mean we will lose. But to ignore the facts is naive.

ProfessorDamage
03-11-2014, 02:12 PM

We've had time for players to get to know each other? Really? How long has Defoe been with the squad? Right.

Anyway, awesome view, thanks for sharing -- we'd be lucky to have someone with your optimism, immunity to jet lag and turf-related injuries play for us, or even coach our squad!

Guess you're all set with who you'll be blaming (ie Nelsen, "obviously" over his head) if we lose, then?

OgtheDim
03-11-2014, 02:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8ckwEnNLs

This does not sound to me like a guy going to play. Pointing towards DCU, methinks.

Joe Kool
03-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Only prediction I am making is that Issey is signed last minute and lands in Seattle minutes before the game and gets changed into his uniform in the cab and then jumps right into the lineup minutes before the game starts and plays the game...oh wait a minute....that actually happened to us once already. Never mind. Continue thread...

Phil
03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
We've had time for players to get to know each other? Really? How long has Defoe been with the squad? Right.

Anyway, awesome view, thanks for sharing -- we'd be lucky to have someone with your optimism, immunity to jet lag and turf-related injuries play for us, or even coach our squad!

Guess you're all set with who you'll be blaming (ie Nelsen, "obviously" over his head) if we lose, then?

Just curious, is there any stat that points to injury differences between turf and non turf?

by all reconing the entire Seattle team should be on the injured list considering the played on it last week.

Super
03-11-2014, 02:28 PM
So yes - it does effect everyone equally - over the course of the season. But for Saturday, it means that it affects us in a negative way and Seattle in a positive one. That doesn't mean we will lose. But to ignore the facts is naive.

I didn't say it was going to be an easy fixture. It'll be tough. But I'm not alone in expecting better from this team than we've seen in the first 7 years.

Thanks for the sarcasm. But to answer your question, yes, the team did spend time together - minus Defoe of course. Did you miss the entire pre-season? Everybody except for Defoe spent time together in camp - under Nelsen. They played together, trained together, spent time together. ONE PLAYER showing up late does not mean that's untrue.

IF we win, then the team + Nelsen is awesome. If we're destroyed, then Nelsen is going to get the blame. On paper there is no reason why we shouldn't be competitive against any team in this league. Even with the jet lag and playing on turf.

Leedsoronto
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
3-1 to Toronto

Defoe x1
Dero x 2

brad
03-11-2014, 02:32 PM
I didn't say it was going to be an easy fixture. It'll be tough. But I'm not alone in expecting better from this team than we've seen in the first 7 years.

Right, but what you said and what was replying to was :

To lay it out there that it's tough, and therefore likely that we will lose, because it's a long trip is a bit BS to me.

When the truth is that is not BS but a significant reality of playing away in this league.

tfcleeds
03-11-2014, 02:32 PM
RB is going to be an issue for us. Either you throw Hagglund into the fire straight away (which I'm not sure is the best option), or you put in Richter who barely had any preseason minutes (assuming Orr isn't ready to go).

barticusz
03-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Playing Seattle in the opener is the best thing for this team. Especially since Seattle has already played one game and we're coming off a bye week. This is a great opportunity to see what this team is made of. If we lose, so be it, it's a road game and there's plenty of time to learn from this. Better to lose in Seattle than to an eastern mid-tier team.

We beat SKC at home in the opener last year.. any one remember that? Things were looking so great after game 1.

Long season ahead with time for chemistry to get set in, and injury concerns to resolve themselves. Nelson is already setting this one up as a wash by citing all of our injuries.

Thomas
03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
It's going to be a tough slog for sure, but we haven't even played a real game yet. Although the odds seem somewhat stacked against them, we can win this game...at least a win is possible. We need to play to win, and nothing else. Playing for a tie or whatever just isn't going to work.

Super
03-11-2014, 02:41 PM
Right, but what you said and what was replying to was :

When the truth is that is not BS but a significant reality of playing away in this league.

Well, yes, that's always going to be true. Obviously I understand that the nature of this league is that it's always going to be tough to play on the road. But that doesn't mean we should expect to show up and be run over like we've been so many times on the road. At least let's expect better than what we've seen from this team in years past. Not only that, I've also got faith in this team, and this line-up, that we can be competitive and beat any team on a good day. That doesn't mean I'm ignoring the fact that it's a long trip, the turf, that Seattle is tough to beat at home, etc.

Anyway, let's see how it goes on Saturday. We're all entitled to our own expectations. I've stuck with this team for 7 years and now I want to be optimistic and set my expectations a little higher than normal.

ag futbol
03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Seattle gets criticized for many of the same reasons TFC does: Use of 4-4-2, weak interplay between strikers (work on progress), not enough possession, very slight tactical adjustments. I think the first move will be about where they want to line up Dempsey. Do they put him in the middle to keep Bradley pinned back or do they put him out wide and try to create from there? Otherwise, I expect a lot of attempts to get up-and-down the flanks through Yedlin and Gonzalez.

We’re going to find out a few things about TFC over the course of 90 minutes. In preseason I felt like the Osorio-Bradley combo didn’t give the backline enough cover and our flank defending was weak. Bradley has to stay relatively anchored this game if we are going to have any success. If he starts roaming too much we are going to be screwed. Osorio, or someone has to find space in the hole and start dragging Evans and Alonso out of position, otherwise it gets crowded for the TFC front two and they won’t have many chances outside of individual brilliance. Otherwise both their fullbacks are prone to the odd positional breakdown so if we make smart runs it will be possible to take care of that.

Prediction: 2-1 Seattle. TFC will play well, but Seattle will pick on our fullbacks at times and our attack won’t be fluid enough yet to keep them honest. TFC will also realize they need more ball winners in the midfield.

Leedsoronto
03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Of course ya should stick with this team, it's our team, it's our town, when you move town then ya can change team

Unless you become a glory hunter then what's the point ? The great thing about footie is seeing ya home team get better, it takes time, it can also be frustrating but it's ya team, WTF ya Guna do?

lanarkist
03-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Let's not set the bar too low. This new roster is leaps and bounds better than anything we've assembled before. Compare this roster (even with a few knocks) to the one that beat SKC at home in Game 2 last year. Yes it's away, yes it's Seattle, but as much as we know how good they are, they have literally zero idea what to expect from us. Our 'almost' full team played what, maybe 45 minutes together against Philadelphia in preseason play? I'm remaining optimistic that this will be highly competitive and that we come out with at least a point.

starter
03-11-2014, 03:14 PM
Prince John (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0507659/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Tell everyone that when the day is out we shall have a wedding. Or a hanging. Either way, we're gonna have a lot of fun, huh?

OgtheDim
03-11-2014, 03:17 PM
If we were going into this game with our top roster, I'd be calling for a win. We are not, and we have strategic holes that work to Seattle's strengths.

Reality is we are underdogs.

Good.

Time to see what the boys can do in a tough environment.

Oldtimer
03-11-2014, 03:25 PM
It is the same for everyone, and everyone suffers on the road in this league - to varying degrees. Home field advantage is massive in the MLS.

I did an analysis for 2003-2012. MLS clubs only win 25% of their away matches. It's a difficult hill to climb. Of course some have been more difficult to break down at home (RSL) than others (Chivas).

I don't believe that we are likely to win. More likely a tie or a narrow loss.

pdubs
03-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Defoe wants to start and says he is healthy. Whether Nelson laments to the media attention and pressure and starts Defoe will be interesting. Most fans of MLS are looking forward to this game.

If Defoe starts I think it changes our outlook completely. Seattle will respect him more, give them more to worry about. Defoe can hurt teams and can make something out of nothing. Dero too can come up big for us. Whether to play them on turf idk. If they are healthy I would say play them.

If Rey cannot play this will be a major blow. Probably means Osorio moves on the wing and Hall finds his way into the midfield which would be devastating. If Bradley is fully fit I cannot see him sitting out the match the more I think about it.

If most of these "injuries/knocks/whatever" are smoke and mirrors and we can field the whole team except for Gilberto I think we have a good opportunity too walk away with 3 points. If we are missing Rey and have Hall in the midfield I think a draw is a good result. Maybe stealing 3 points. If Bradley doesn't play I think we will get steamrolled.

edit- If Rey is out I would put Osorio on the wing and start Bekker in CM with Bradley. His defensive abilities based on last year are suspect aka bad. But he has offensive upside. And I just don't rate Hall at all.

edit 2- My wish is Nelson is just playing to Seattle's emotions with this injury talk and he fields our strongest 11 including Gilberto. Pipe dream but it's my pipe dream :)

Fort York Redcoat
03-11-2014, 04:13 PM
If I am Nelsen, I have already conceded the points.

Luckily you're not Nelsen.

If you need to talk, ensco, we're here for you.

ensco
03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Listen, Nelsen is on a short leash, he has maybe until June. He will go all out to win. Whether that's in the longterm interest or not.

notthesun
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I don't think Bekker should see the pitch in this game. Alonso and Evans will be applying heavy pressure in midfield, plus the intimidating atmosphere and our team will still be a work in progress overall. So far Bekker has shown he can only perform in slow, low pressure games (last game of last year vs. Montreal). I think he'd get eaten alive Saturday.

If we need to push Osorio wide to fill an open slot, put Hall in the middle. He's okay.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Listen, Nelsen is on a short leash, he has maybe until June. He will go all out to win. Whether that's in the longterm interest or not.

The argument ive heard counter to this is that both Tims have publicly supported him, Tim L wouldnt have gone out of his way to say hes our coach/support him if he wasnt going to be around for a minute. Suspect Tim L knows how touchy the fanbase is right now and wouldnt make such big announcements unless he was 100% behind them. I have to agree with this, unless we start a la Winter (0-9) i think that Nelsen will be around for the season

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM
The after season is a different story. Especially when it doesnt seem like any decent candidates for coach at the moment.

lanarkist
03-11-2014, 05:03 PM

I think the leash is a lot longer then you think. From every interview or statement, Leweike loves the guy, and I don't think Defoe is here without his connection. I don't think they'd dump him in Defoe's first season - not a great message to send, barring being 0-10 by June.

And I'd be concerned if Nelson's interests aren't to win right away. The turf argument is so overblown. If a guy is hurt, or trying to recover from an injury, than holding him out is logical (see Gilberto, Morrow, Rey & Orr). But holding back Defoe, Bradley and Dero because there's turf, means we can toss at least 6 points out the window this season, which will very likely be the difference between the playoffs and bust.

ensco
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Maybe an enterprising TFC reporter who sees this will ask Sigi Schmid this weekend about what Tim Leiweke's heartfelt, numerous public endorsements in the pre season are worth.

speckles
03-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I agree, the leash is longer, the other factor is fitness, it a lot tougher on turf when your not match fit, which naturally can result in a higher risk of injury. That is my experience.

ensco
03-11-2014, 05:23 PM
btw Nelsen has set off a mini sewage storm with his comments re the turf in Seattle

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2014/03/10/sigi-schmid-on-an-artificial-turf-controversy-its-not-like-one-is-better-than-the-other/

trane
03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
FUCK ME- WHAT THE FUCK. I am the positive ONE???? Dudes, we got one of the top English FORWARDS, and a world class CDM, we should expect a WIN. What the fuck is the problem?

Do not give them excuses from day one. Listen we have seen nothing. We will see. But this talk about draws and losses, based on what?

ensco
03-11-2014, 05:32 PM
FUCK ME- WHAT THE FUCK. I am the positive ONE???? Dudes, we got one of the top English FORWARDS, and a world class CDM, we should expect a WIN. What the fuck is the problem?

Do not give them excuses from day one. Listen we have seen nothing. We will see. But this talk about draws and losses, based on what?

OK fine. This post actually made me see the light. trane really has been the angel of doom over the years.

2-0 TFC. Why not? Nobody knows nothing, anyways.

speckles
03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Yes we can win.... that just means...with our defense, we will need to out score them....just one more goal than we concede.

ps The Seattle crowd are getting grumpy because they want to see our stars. If not...oh well... they will grab the points with glee.

ag futbol
03-11-2014, 05:37 PM
btw Nelsen has set off a mini sewage storm with his comments re the turf in Seattle

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersfc/2014/03/10/sigi-schmid-on-an-artificial-turf-controversy-its-not-like-one-is-better-than-the-other/
It's one of those things where perception writes the story. Injuries or not, more risk or not, people don't like it.

Less concerning if we are talking injuries, more concerning if you are trying to convince people you are running a world class football club.

T-boy
03-11-2014, 05:38 PM

I'm nearly always optimistic. But I just see this as a very difficult away game coming too early to get anything decent as a result. If we were away at Seattle a month into the season, then I would predict a wine or draw for TFC. BUT, Seattle are a week ahead of TFC in terms of match practice, and are at home, plus they were a good team last season, I just don't see TFC getting a positive result.

Plus most of TFC's "best" players have either missed half of preseason, or haven't been with the team at all (Defoe) I just don't see the team 'gelling' this quickly. It's going to realistically take the team 2 or 3 games to look like a "team" altogether.

This is gonna be 3-1 to Seattle, or 2-0, I honstly don't expect anything better than that THIS early in the season.

notthesun
03-11-2014, 05:38 PM

We're not just battling the rest of the league, we're also battling 7 years of TFC-induced hopelessness. It's gonna take a number of strong performances before you start seeing a majority of people expecting wins.

That being said, in my anticipation of this season I've went over the entire schedule and predicted every game just to see how I do. I've got us winning 2-1, so let's do that. :D

ag futbol
03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
The argument ive heard counter to this is that both Tims have publicly supported him, Tim L wouldnt have gone out of his way to say hes our coach/support him if he wasnt going to be around for a minute. Suspect Tim L knows how touchy the fanbase is right now and wouldnt make such big announcements unless he was 100% behind them. I have to agree with this, unless we start a la Winter (0-9) i think that Nelsen will be around for the season
I wouldn't put much weight on public endorsements of managers in pro sports. The list of guys who receive praise and are promptly dumped after is too long to count. And it makes perfect sense, everything that's said publicly is about keeping people buying tickets, not honesty.

What we know:
-Leiweke didn't give coaches in LA a lot of time.
-Nelsen makes a great excuse if things go poorly. He's not their guy and acts as a shield against criticism of the GM/president.
-Nelsen is on record as saying "he hasn't got much time" in the NZ press.

Could get the year, but they have to know before they showed up and made big splashes in the transfer market TFC was sliding towards irrelevance. Can they afford to tell people "next year" one more time? If playoffs are still possible with a strong push and a fresh perspective they'll be tempted. But let's hope RN does well and this discussion is all for not

Morlesio14
03-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Cesar
orr-caldwell-henry-morow
jacson-bradly-osorio-ray
Jermaine Defoe-gilbertoe

de rosario
hall
weed iman
beker
Aparicio or bloom
boss
bendik

adam1001
03-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Cesar
orr-caldwell-henry-morow
jacson-bradly-osorio-ray
Jermaine Defoe-gilbertoe

de rosario
hall
weed iman
beker
Aparicio or bloom
boss
bendik

Gilberto is likely out, and I doubt Defoe is going to start.

backbeat
03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Cesar
orr-caldwell-henry-morow
jacson-bradly-osorio-ray
Jermaine Defoe-gilbertoe

de rosario
hall
weed iman
beker
Aparicio or bloom
boss
bendik

it doesn't sound like Gilberto, Rey, or Orr will be available....

I'd say:

----------Cesar---------

Hagglund-Caldwell-Henry-Morrow

Jackson-Bradley-Osorio-DeRo---

-----Defoe-Wiedeman-----

Graeme
03-11-2014, 06:58 PM

I'd say:

----------Cesar---------

Hagglund-Caldwell-Henry-Morrow

Jackson-Bradley-Osorio-DeRo---

-----Defoe-Wiedeman-----

I bet Gilberto makes a 60/70 sub for either Defoe or Weeds and Rey for DeRo, just so that the team has a bit of time to gel before next weekend.

jloome
03-11-2014, 09:46 PM

I'm with you on this. Fuck the excuses at this point. If they don't win, it better at least be fucking competitive. It better be points or something last second. If we lose by two early goals or some bullshit like that, I think they deserve criticism, at this point. THey've spent a ton on upgrading the team and had nearly two months together, minus the world-class striker who shouldn't NEED two months to be dangerous. Has anyone actually watched Defoe? The guy has just about broken ankles with his first step for a decade, against some of the best defenders in the world. I expect him to perform, I expect Bradley to perform, I expect Osorio to get that much better. I expect effort and hustle and something respectable.

Thomas
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Spot on!

trane
03-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm with you on this. Fuck the excuses at this point. If they don't win, it better at least be fucking competitive. It better be points or something last second. If we lose by two early goals or some bullshit like that, I think they deserve criticism, at this point. THey've spent a ton on upgrading the team and had nearly two months together, minus the world-class striker who shouldn't NEED two months to be dangerous. Has anyone actually watched Defoe? The guy has just about broken ankles with his first step for a decade, against some of the best defenders in the world. I expect him to perform, I expect Bradley to perform, I expect Osorio to get that much better. I expect effort and hustle and something respectable.

Exatamundo.

[Ensco- You called it I have been the angel of doom]

backbeat
03-11-2014, 11:05 PM
I absolutely agree...

Put THE best available team on the pitch

and GO FOR IT

Zero excuses

Just do it

I am stoked for this season and I do believe

there are lots of plastic pitches in this league

it is what it is

get used to it and WIN....

Yohan
03-11-2014, 11:09 PM
I absolutely agree...

Put THE best available team on the pitch

and GO FOR IT

Zero excuses

Just do it

I am stoked for this season and I do believe

there are lots of plastic pitches in this league

it is what it is

get used to it and WIN....
well, until Defoe/Gilberto/Bradley goes down for a long time due to a turf injury, then people yell at Nelsen for playing them on turf

backbeat
03-11-2014, 11:16 PM
well, until Defoe/Gilberto/Bradley goes down for a long time due to a turf injury, then people yell at Nelsen for playing them on turf

but the point is you have to deal with it or keep your best players out of a number of games...

as Sigi says:

“Let me say this first, tell me which turf field is good in this league. There is no good turf field in this league. Portland’s blades lay down. They don’t stand up anymore. They play women’s soccer there. They play the reserve team there. They practice there. They play their men’s team there. We have football on ours, as well, but theirs gets as much use. So their field isn’t better. Vancouver’s field isn’t better. New England’s field isn’t better. … All the fields, I think Vancouver’s, ours, Portland’s and for that matter New England are all on about the same year in the cycle, and it’s not like one is better than the other.
“I don’t disagree, necessarily, with Ryan’s statement. I’d love to have brand-new turf this year, as would everybody else. But I disagree with the point of making it seem like Seattle’s is worse than the others. I think the others are equally as good or as bad — however you want to look at it. So if theirs are good, ours is good. If ours is bad, theirs are bad.”

do those teams keep their players off 50% of their games? i doubt it.

we need to go for it if they're fit and ready...

no excuses....imho

saying that - i think all pitches should be grass... but it is what it is in this league...

backbeat
03-11-2014, 11:43 PM

I'd say:

-----------------------Cesar---------------------

Hagglund----Caldwell-----Henry-------Morrow

Jackson--------Bradley-------Osorio-------Issey---

----------------Defoe---------------DeRo--------------

jloome
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
Some class comments from Frei and the Chad, as one might expect:

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/soccer/2014/03/11/no-complaints-from-former-reds-now-in-rave/

I swear, if Barrett ever learned to just roll the damn ball in with a sidefoot, he'd have been deadly for us. Never has a guy created and missed so many chances; it speaks to his qualities. He just couldn't finish.

mcolvy
03-12-2014, 12:21 AM

I'd say:

-----------------------Cesar---------------------

Hagglund----Caldwell-----Henry-------Morrow

Jackson--------Bradley-------Osorio-------Issey---

----------------Defoe---------------DeRo--------------

They'll probably force Orr into the starting 11. He has had a calf strain, but its been small enough that he has been getting cardio in.
If not, Why not go back to Richter A backline partner the team will atleast be familiar with. Morrow is a no go. Morgan it will be.
i cant believe Welshman actually played in our first game of the season last year...my god...

notthesun
03-12-2014, 03:10 AM

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/soccer/2014/03/11/no-complaints-from-former-reds-now-in-rave/

I swear, if Barrett ever learned to just roll the damn ball in with a sidefoot, he'd have been deadly for us. Never has a guy created and missed so many chances; it speaks to his qualities. He just couldn't finish.

Man, Frei is such a great guy. I hope he's in goal for Seattle for a deep playoff run and I wish him all the luck in the world... except for this Saturday. Hope he has a stinker. g:D

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2014, 07:07 AM

OK fine. This post actually made me see the light. trane really has been the angel of doom over the years.

2-0 TFC. Why not? Nobody knows nothing, anyways.

This is making my morning. Nice to see you again, trane.

tfcleeds
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM

And despite his lack of finishing skills, he's still the second all-time leading goalscorer for us! Just imagine how many he might have scored if he could finish...

Wince
03-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Is it just me or is this week dragging on? Anyone else find this week going by impossibly slow?

HURRY UP SATURDAY!!!

Canary10
03-12-2014, 08:56 AM
The preseason was such a shit show with all the injuries, etc, I have no idea what to expect. I think that's the issue we're all having trying to make a prediction. None of us even really know who is hurt now. Other than Caldwell, is anyone else a lock to start at this point?

But I'm with Trane. We spent the money. Time to expect wins!

Initial B
03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Trane, two players do not a team make. Having the best striker won't matter if he doesn't get service. Cesar hasn't played a competative game in months. Seeing what Columbus did to him has me worried. The effect of turf on players in past TFC games (*cough*Koevs*cough*) even moreso. If I'm Nelsen, I make sure to hold my best, expensive, irreplaceable resources in reserve and not risk them unless I know the team has a good chance to win. Here's my starting XI:

--------------Cesar----------------

Hagglund--Henry---Caldwell---Morrow

Jackson---Bradley----Hall-----Issey

--------------Osorio---------------

------------Wiedeman-------------

Subs: Defoe (75' - for Wieds if tied or down 1), DeRo (70' - for Hall, Osorio drops back beside Bradley), Orr, Rey, Morgan, Agboss, Bekker, Bendik

Counterattack will be the order of the day.

tfcleeds
03-12-2014, 09:39 AM
It seems crazy that we'd start Wiedeman given what we spent on Defoe, but given the fact we only play two league matches on turf this season (the next one being the final game in NE, ironically, although we do play Vancouver in the Canadian Championship in May), I'd feel more comfortable bringing Defoe on as a sub. Why tempt fate?

C.Ronaldo
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
dike loss really burns!

this would have been his year

in retro....keep koevs on the cheap this year would have seemed genius

mowe
03-12-2014, 09:56 AM
If I'm Nelsen, I make sure to hold my best, expensive, irreplaceable resources in reserve and not risk them unless I know the team has a good chance to win.

Why are we acting like Seattle is some unbeatable powerhouse? We absolutely have a chance to get a result, if not a win. Turf isn't ideal, but for one game it's not an issue. Defoe is 100%, he was in full training with England and was available for selection. I don't understand why we're conceding this game already. Playing against high level opposition is good for the team and we should field our best players.

Phil
03-12-2014, 10:06 AM
I just can't believe the weather out today and think...we start the season in a few days....and a week later the home opener. Crazy.

lanarkist
03-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I just can't believe the weather out today and think...we start the season in a few days....and a week later the home opener. Crazy.

Especially after what would have been a beautiful game day yesterday... FUCK!

Here's hoping the sky parts, the sun shines, and we go top of the table after two straight wins.

tfcleeds
03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Why are we acting like Seattle is some unbeatable powerhouse? We absolutely have a chance to get a result, if not a win. Turf isn't ideal, but for one game it's not an issue. Defoe is 100%, he was in full training with England and was available for selection. I don't understand why we're conceding this game already. Playing against high level opposition is good for the team and we should field our best players. They aren't unbeatable, but the facts remain a) we've never won there, and b) MLS teams much better than us struggle there. It's one of the most intimidating places to play in MLS. Does that mean we can't win? Of course not. But the likelihood is, we won't. And given what we know of this team (which isn't much, since our best XI have never played with each other), and what we do have to go by (the preseason, which is an imperfect measuring stick, granted), we have a long ways to go before being able to walk into Seattle and grab 3 points. Defoe isn't superhuman - he'll need time to adjust and gel with the team like anyone else would. I'd just feel more comfortable easing him in, giving him a sub appearance, rather than throwing him straight in and risking injury on a surface he's not too familiar with. And for those who say, "everyone has to play on turf at some point, so we might as as well just get on with it", well, yes, that's true, but only to an extent. We only play on turf twice, so why risk injury to one of our key players who hasn't started a match in who knows how long? I'm not conceding defeat - I'd just rather come out of this match unscathed, then we don't have to worry about it again until the end of the season, by which time, hopefully we'll have already secured a playoff spot.

mastermixer
03-12-2014, 10:20 AM

I wonder what the criteria is to postpone a game in MLS? I can't imagine they would play if the game was today would they?

ryan
03-12-2014, 10:29 AM
I wonder what the criteria is to postpone a game in MLS? I can't imagine they would play if the game was today would they?

Probably not. Although it's fluctuating right now, as of today we're looking at +3 for the 22nd. Mind you 2 days ago it was -2 with snowfall...

Initial B
03-12-2014, 10:41 AM
I get the feeling that there is going to be a lot of shoveling going on to make the grass ready for the game next weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone the game or move it somewhere else (Wilmington?). I hope this teaches the eggheads in MLS scheduling why it's not a good idea for Montreal or Toronto to hold home games in March. :nono:

brad
03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
Why are we acting like Seattle is some unbeatable powerhouse? We absolutely have a chance to get a result, if not a win. Turf isn't ideal, but for one game it's not an issue. Defoe is 100%, he was in full training with England and was available for selection. I don't understand why we're conceding this game already. Playing against high level opposition is good for the team and we should field our best players.

I don't think anyone is saying they are an unbeatable powerhouse. There is always a chance we could get a win or a draw there. But the fact is, Seattle at home is a really tough game and as such odds are not on our side.

Their all time record at home in the MLS (in league play) is 40W-18D-14L (71 games total). So at home they win 56.3% of the time, draw 25.3% of the time, and lose 18.3% of the time.

And they have gotten better at home over the last 3 years - winning 64.7%, drawing and losing 17.6% each (22W-6D-6L in 24 games).

Of course those are just numbers, and as I mentioned, we could be that group that does win or draw. But simply put, this is a tough game, odds are against us getting anything, and some of us factor that into our analysis.

Super
03-12-2014, 10:49 AM

Orange ball!

tfcleeds
03-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I get the feeling that there is going to be a lot of shoveling going on to make the grass ready for the game next weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone the game or move it somewhere else (Wilmington?). I hope this teaches the eggheads in MLS scheduling why it's not a good idea for Montreal or Toronto to hold home games in March. :nono: In all fairness though, March can be a bit of a mixed bag. You never really know what it will be like. Heck, I've spent some St. Paddy's Days on outdoor patios, it was so mild. Other times, there's been snow on the ground (like now). In general, yeah, home matches shouldn't be played at BMO in March, but I think this would be the first time that there was risk of snow. Seattle in 2009 was dang chilly.

brad
03-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Is this game going to be blacked out on MLS Live?

ag futbol
03-12-2014, 11:15 AM

I don't know, I thought he was awful on pretty much all levels. He could be standing wide open with the ball at the top of the 18, he'd put his head down and dribble outside towards the touch line to flub in a lousy cross.

I am thankful we are done with these sort of reclamation projects. Every year we'd pick up someone the rest of the league had given up on (as a starter) and decide we were the team that was going to make them great.

TFC07
03-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I get the feeling that there is going to be a lot of shoveling going on to make the grass ready for the game next weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if they postpone the game or move it somewhere else (Wilmington?). I hope this teaches the eggheads in MLS scheduling why it's not a good idea for Montreal or Toronto to hold home games in March. :nono:

Right now, next Saturday's weather is going to be plus 3 with isolated rain (How fitting for us!). A lot can changed, but I feel like today will last major snow for us.

mowe
03-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Of course those are just numbers, and as I mentioned, we could be that group that does win or draw. But simply put, this is a tough game, odds are against us getting anything, and some of us factor that into our analysis.

What I don't understand is after all that analysis how anyone can come to the conclusion that we should hold Defoe out. Seattle is a good team at home so we shouldn't send out our best possible lineup? That's a loser's mentality. The only reason to sit someone for this game is if they're recovering from an injury. All indications are Defoe is 100%.

The only other option we have right now is Wiedeman. It doesn't matter how familiar he is with the team, no sane manager is going to start Andrew Wiedeman when a healthy Jermain Defoe is sitting on the bench.

Yohan
03-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't know, I thought he was awful on pretty much all levels. He could be standing wide open with the ball at the top of the 18, he'd put his head down and dribble outside towards the touch line to flub in a lousy cross.

I am thankful we are done with these sort of reclamation projects. Every year we'd pick up someone the rest of the league had given up on (as a starter) and decide we were the team that was going to make them great.

Barrett is Wondo without the finishing. If you look at his goal for Seattle, he ghosted in perfectly unnoticed and put himself at the right spot at the right time. And he gets his share of great goal scoring chances, so it's not like he doesn't understand the game as a striker.

brad
03-12-2014, 11:49 AM
What I don't understand is after all that analysis how anyone can come to the conclusion that we should hold Defoe out. Seattle is a good team at home so we shouldn't send out our best possible lineup? That's a loser's mentality. The only reason to sit someone for this game is if they're recovering from an injury. All indications are Defoe is 100%.

The only other option we have right now is Wiedeman. It doesn't matter how familiar he is with the team, no sane manager is going to start Andrew Wiedeman when a healthy Jermain Defoe is sitting on the bench.

There are two schools of thought.

One is put your best team out and go for the points - that obviously includes Defoe. This is where I side - I think we should play our strongest side

But the other side is since home form key, and most road points are lost anyway, don't risk key players fitness in match on a poor surface, as there is a greater likelyhood of injury (questionable). Doing so optimizes keeping your best players fit for home matches where you are more likely to win.

ensco
03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
All indications are Defoe is 100%.

Nobody knows in these things. Including the medical staff, Nelsen, and Defoe himself.

All I know is that older players on turf is a bad mix to begin with.

But hey, whatever.

tfcleeds
03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
But the other side is since home form key, and most road points are lost anyway, don't risk key players fitness in match on a poor surface, as there is a greater likelyhood of injury (questionable). Doing so optimizes keeping your best players fit for home matches where you are more likely to win. I admit this is my preference. I'm not saying Defoe shouldn't play. I'm just saying bring him on as a sub, can be the 65th minute or whatever - still plenty of time for him to make a difference so long as we hold Seattle at bay. He hasn't started a match in 2014, and he's had a long layoff, nothing wrong with easing him in. You can't blame folks for being a little gun-shy after what happened to other DPs like Koevs and Frings (although I can't recall if Frings injury problems were turf related, or just because he was old).

barticusz
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Is this game going to be blacked out on MLS Live?

Yes. Any nationally televised games on TSN are blacked out unfortunately. As was the case with Saturday's Whitecaps game.

brad
03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Yes. Any nationally televised games on TSN are blacked out unfortunately. As was the case with Saturday's Whitecaps game.

Darn. They make them available right after though, right?

SoccMan2
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
This is how we should start then in Seattle because hey we can't risk any injuries and you know we have been such a great team in years past that we will for sure win all of our home games and all the other games that are not on turf, for sure.

Quillan Roberts

Haglund Henry Agbossoumonde Lovitz

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman
so got get them boys and see you all the Shoe!

brad
03-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I was wondering how long before the strawman came out...

OgtheDim
03-12-2014, 12:33 PM
I wonder if the team is going to actually get out of town today. There's a direct flight tonight at 8:30 or so but with this weather...

starter
03-12-2014, 12:38 PM
This is how we should start then in Seattle because hey we can't risk any injuries and you know we have been such a great team in years past that we will for sure win all of our home games and all the other games that are not on turf, for sure.

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman

Sooo, are you going with 2 goalkeepers? :-)

Ultra & Proud
03-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Sooo, are you going with 2 goalkeepers? :-)

You'd need two with that line up.

And still lose.

Graeme
03-12-2014, 12:43 PM

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman

Are you CRAZY! We can't start Henry. Let's put Richter in there...

Fort York Redcoat
03-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Quillan Roberts

Aparicio Bekker Hall Eze

Hamilton Wiedeman

Kids in the Hall had a show last night. In the spirit of over the top sarcasm I give you...

/ziH9St7ajuw

Remember: Sarcasm makes one lonely...

T-boy
03-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Barrett is Wondo without the finishing. If you look at his goal for Seattle, he ghosted in perfectly unnoticed and put himself at the right spot at the right time. And he gets his share of great goal scoring chances, so it's not like he doesn't understand the game as a striker.

One of these seasons Barrett is going to actually score a load of goals. It will happen at some point. Suddenly all his "near misses" will all sneak in the far post. Then he will go back to missing again the next season.

Ron Manager
03-12-2014, 01:13 PM
One thing I notice about Barrett...he has scored some beauties but only when it happens fast. Give him any time to think about what he should do and his brain chooses "miss" every time. I think his goal scoring problems are in his head.

ProfessorDamage
03-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Nobody knows in these things. Including the medical staff, Nelsen, and Defoe himself.

All I know is that older players on turf is a bad mix to begin with.

But hey, whatever.

Totally agree. Plus older players wear jetlag worse than younger guys do.

But as you say, whatever. The guys on here who say it's "bullshit" to lay out the challenges of going into the home ground of one of the stronger sides in the league to play on their turf (literally) clearly know better.

As I say, if we draw and no one gets hurt, I'll be ecstatic. More likely, we'll see 3-0 Seattle.

We are still MILES from home, guys.

Graeme
03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Totally agree. Plus older players wear jetlag worse than younger guys do.

But as you say, whatever. The guys on here who say it's "bullshit" to lay out the challenges of going into the home ground of one of the stronger sides in the league to play on their turf (literally) clearly know better.

As I say, if we draw and no one gets hurt, I'll be ecstatic. More likely, we'll see 3-0 Seattle.

We are still MILES from home, guys.

Trying and failing is a different issue from putting out the B-team. No one thinks this will be an easy game. That's an argument no one is making.

brad
03-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Trying and failing is a different issue from putting out the B-team. No one thinks this will be an easy game. That's an argument no one is making.

And putting out the B-team is a lot different than putting out the A-team minus one or two players.

ProfessorDamage
03-12-2014, 02:50 PM

Short of offending you with a remark about your reading comprehension skills, I don't know how to respond further to what you posted, so I won't.

I also don't think that "B-team" means what you think it means.

ag futbol
03-12-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't know, we have dramatically different perceptions of Barrett's football intelligence. Would never compare him to Wondo, even minus the ability to finish. There are hard working low budget strikers in this league that I think could make something if themselves, Barrett isn't one of them.

He's a headless chicken and people are in awe of his work rate, but his read of the game is terrible IMO.

ag futbol
03-12-2014, 02:56 PM
One of these seasons Barrett is going to actually score a load of goals. It will happen at some point. Suddenly all his "near misses" will all sneak in the far post. Then he will go back to missing again the next season.
People have been saying that forever. He's turning 29 this year!

Yohan
03-12-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't know, we have dramatically different perceptions of Barrett's football intelligence. Would never compare him to Wondo, even minus the ability to finish. There are hard working low budget strikers in this league that I think could make something if themselves, Barrett isn't one of them.

He's a headless chicken and people are in awe of his work rate, but his read of the game is terrible IMO.
a lucky headless chicken gets himself in prime goal scoring chances only so often. either Barrett is the luckiest striker, or he has some skills

ag futbol
03-12-2014, 03:27 PM
a lucky headless chicken gets himself in prime goal scoring chances only so often. either Barrett is the luckiest striker, or he has some skills
I can't say I see it that way.

OgtheDim
03-13-2014, 01:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BindH3BCQAA0rDl.jpg

Hey.....the Brazilian NT keeper has to wait for the hotel bus like the rest of us. :)

Pookie
03-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Nice to see the infamous "we should hold our best players out" over an unfounded and irrational belief that Seattle's turf is more dangerous than grass.

Any other superstitions we can come up with? Like if I drink a beer with my right hand the night before a game while wearing a blue shirt it means that a midfielder is more likely to get injured so we should hold them all out and play a 8-0-2 formation?

JoesphNdo
03-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Surely just wearing a different colour shirt would be easier

Pookie
03-13-2014, 02:05 PM
If I wear red we come out ok on the injury front but tend to concede goals in the last 10 mins and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Shame all my TFC kits are red.

ManUtd4ever
03-13-2014, 02:53 PM
And putting out the B-team is a lot different than putting out the A-team minus one or two players.

Agreed. I wouldn't fault Nelsen if he brought on Bradley, Defoe, and DeRo in the second half to be honest.

This franchise has had terrible luck with injuries to key players on artificial turf in the past, so the sentiment being shared by many is totally understandable.

The rest of the season is far more important than the season opener.

flatpicker
03-13-2014, 03:04 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't fault Nelsen if he brought on Bradley, Defoe, and DeRo in the second half to be honest.

This franchise has had terrible luck with injuries to key players on artificial turf in the past, so the sentiment being shared by many is totally understandable.

The rest of the season is far more important than the season opener.

And if this were the TFC's first season ever and had none of the injury history that you speak of, would you still not play those 3?

ManUtd4ever
03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
And if this were the TFC's first season ever and had none of the injury history that you speak of, would you still not play those 3?

Of course I would play them, but that's why I stated that the skepticism is understandable given our history.

flatpicker
03-13-2014, 03:24 PM
^ gotcha

brad
03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
According to a post Seattle Road Trip thread - Defoe is starting

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35196-Toronto-FC-vs-Seattle-March-15-Roadtrip&p=1651001&viewfull=1#post1651001

If this is true - I'm a bit disappointed that the players are telling supporters team selections....

notthesun
03-13-2014, 04:51 PM
According to a post Seattle Road Trip thread - Defoe is starting

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?35196-Toronto-FC-vs-Seattle-March-15-Roadtrip&p=1651001&viewfull=1#post1651001

If this is true - I'm a bit disappointed that the players are telling supporters team selections....

Eh. It's Jermain Defoe. Nelsen can play coy but personally I doubt Sigi Schmid bat an eye when Nelsen said Defoe was nursing an injury.

OgtheDim
03-13-2014, 05:52 PM
If Sounder supporters are looking in here for rumours, can we start one about Hagglund up top as a target man for Defoe to play off?

Cause:

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 16m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/444240834460778496) NEWS: Gilberto OUT for Saturday vs. Sounders. #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash)

Not unexpected.

LFC8
03-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Hopefully Gilberto is the only one out....i wanna see our best team out there!

notthesun
03-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Not surprised, at best I was thinking he'd make the bench but even then I really didn't want us to play him if he wasn't ready, even if it was only for 10 minutes. Sounds like he might be able to make the bench against D.C.

Initial B
03-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Crap. If Defoe starts and goes down with injury in the 40th minute, I'm going to lose it.

LFC8
03-13-2014, 11:05 PM
If he scores in the 40th minute i will lose it.

mowe
03-13-2014, 11:43 PM
If he scores in the 40th minute i will lose it.

Seriously. TFC fans always focus on the negative. We have one of the best strikers in the league starting for us. This is a good thing.

boozilla
03-14-2014, 12:55 AM
It's a man's game. My TFC ain't afraid of no turf.

trane
03-14-2014, 07:54 AM
It is the MLS, many teams play on turf, you cannot not play you best 11 because of this. Unless there is a per-existing injury and/or a player is recovering.

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 09:45 AM
All I want from this game is to stop feeling like I'm supporting an expansion team.

To stop feeling like every point we get is stolen or a gift.

To stop feeling like the position we are in in the league standings is because other teams are screwing up as against us doing well.

I want to start feeling like we are good enough to play in this league week in and week out and be competitive for the 3 points in every match.

Do that, and I'll be happy.

Graeme
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Do we know if Rey, Bloom, Richter, & Morrow are ready to go?

Here's my guess at the starting line-up:

-----------------------Cesar--------------------
--Orr------------Henry--Caldwell-----Morrow
Jackson---------Bradley--Osorio----------Rey
------------------DeRo-----Defoe---------------

What are we going to see out there!?

Bench: Bendik, Hall, Weeds, Morgan, Agboss, Eze?Bloom?Richter?Hagglund?

nimamalek
03-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Seriously. TFC fans always focus on the negative. We have one of the best strikers in the league starting for us. This is a good thing.

I can't blame any TFC fans for being negative. We have had very little to be excited about and every move we have made in the past has been a failure. It's only natural for people to be reserved when it comes to new signings and expectations for the season. This is a horrible first game for TFC as well and my fear is the pressure and expectation of the previous 7 seasons are going to mount quickly on this team if they get dominated in Seattle.

Red CB Toronto
03-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Here is the projected starting line-up, per TorontoFc.ca. If this is it, six new players will be in the first 11.

http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/assets/default/StartingXI-Seattle-Toronto-03152014.jpg

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
That would be nice but I have my doubts as to Orr and Rey starting.

Canary10
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
Defoe is going to score on his debut.

Technorgasm
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Clean sheet, for the TFC
Clean sheet, for the TFC
Clean sheet, for the TFC
CLEAN SHEET! for the TFC!

Stress
03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Pretty juicy odds on TFC anytime goal scorers. De-ro @ 7:1, Defoe @ 3.75:1 and Bradley @ 11:1.

Cashcleaner
03-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Oh man, it's matchday thread time. I'm so pumped that our season is starting tomorrow!

Conditions in Seattle are expected to be overcast with light rain in the afternoon and a temperature of about 11 degrees Celsius for 1pm. For most the past week they've had a mix of sun and clouds with a few showers, but a temperature hovering between 10 and 12 degrees during the day. All said, it's been a fairly mild week in the Pacific Northwest; pretty much the opposite of what we've been getting here in Toronto (fluctuating warm and cold with rain or snow). The Sounder have been lucky enough to have played most of their pre-season and their first regular season match in relatively warm and dry conditions, though with the rain today and tomorrow, field conditions will be wet at kick-off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Cashcleaner/SeattleWeather_zps176004d8.png

Seattle is coming off a regular season win (1-0) against Sporting KC in Seattle. Their overall record including preseason and regular season matches is 5-0-3 with 12 goals for and 7 goals against (for a goal differential of +5). Given the conditions and Seattle's current level of play, they are going to be a very tough opponent tomorrow.

Obviously, I'm pulling for a win, but it's going to be a bit of a battle. I'd settle for a 2-2 draw.

SoccMan2
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Yes many of us are negative but like has been stated 7 years of crap will do that to people we are only human, and I'm probably one of the most negative fans around but I have been a TFC season ticket holder since day one like many on here are, so like many, have still spent my money on this team since day one. Moreover, I go back many many moons in my support for pro soccer in this city as far back as even before the Blizzard. I will be the happiest person around if we ever turn this team around but until I see results on the field Mr. negative will continue unfortunately. However, it's a new season and I'm as excited as most are so let the season begin.

OfficeGuy
03-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Game is on NBC - - NBCSN, 4:30 p.m.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/14/mls-preview-seattle-sounders-vs-toronto-fc/

lanarkist
03-14-2014, 01:08 PM
That would be nice but I have my doubts as to Orr and Rey starting.

I know it's by the staff, but I doubt they put this out without some sort of confirmation/understanding that they are fit enough to start.

CBTFC
03-14-2014, 01:11 PM
I know it's by the staff, but I doubt they put this out without some sort of confirmation/understanding that they are fit enough to start.

Yeah, it's not generated by anyone here on the board or larson/kelly/molinaro/etc.

It's from the club itself.

Red CB Toronto
03-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Everyone come out to Joe's and celebrate the start of the season together in a Big RPB way. A win would be amazing, a great way to kick things off for the Reds.

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Pretty juicy odds on TFC anytime goal scorers. De-ro @ 7:1, Defoe @ 3.75:1 and Bradley @ 11:1.
What's Wiedeman coming in at? Looks like a solid rain day is afoot and he will likely be the first forward off the bench.

That DeRo line is pretty good though. I see him as being pretty active tomorrow.

Stress
03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
What's Wiedeman coming in at? Looks like a solid rain day is afoot and he will likely be the first forward off the bench.

That DeRo line is pretty good though. I see him as being pretty active tomorrow.

Weeds is @ 11:1. Here's the full list on B365 for reference. Some funny odds... Barret pays less than Defoe.. now how funny is that. Poor Morgan at the bottom.

Martins 2.6
Cooper 2.75
Barret 2.87 !!!
Neagle 3.25
Dempsey / Defoe 3.75
Evans / Gilberto 4
Okoli 4.75
Alonso 6
De Ro / Remick / Pappa 7
Oso 8
Rose / Richter??? 9
Rey / Weeds / Yedlin / Traore / Jackson / Bradley 11
Caldwell 13
Orr / Anibaba / Bekker / Scott 15
Marshall / Hall 19
Henry / Boss / Morrow 23
Morgan 29

Detroit_TFC
03-14-2014, 01:53 PM
The TFC social media team are hyping the game and that's ok (worked on me, I'm on 11 now). If in fact that turns out to be our starting line up, that is damn close to our primary starting line up less Gilberto. I dunno but if Caldwell and Orr are on the back line, I'm going to be more optimistic about a good result.

burlington Red
03-14-2014, 01:57 PM

where are you getting these odds from.
cheers

Stress
03-14-2014, 02:00 PM
where are you getting these odds from.
cheers

Bet365 anytime goal scorer market

burlington Red
03-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Bet365 anytime goal scorer market

that is much better than William Hill anytime scoring, they have Defoe at 7/4, Dero 2/1 and Bradley 7/2

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 02:23 PM
If I was a betting man, I'd be looking for odds on a Hagglund goal. The man has vertical that I don't think the Seattle guys have seen yet. IF he gets time in, he will be a threat on a corner. Seattle may scout well but that is something difficult to prepare for from a rookie who comes in as a sub. That would be worth a small punt on.

Ageroo
03-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Hagglund and Henry are going to give teams fits in the box off corners......

Pint
03-14-2014, 03:00 PM
So I assume I'm not the only one who has Hagglund as 3rd on our CB depth chart? More impressive than agboss and richter IMO

Technorgasm
03-14-2014, 03:29 PM
ol 'DEUCE' here is going to lay a big fat steaming Deuce. . right in the middle of Quest Field.

http://youtu.be/K6Di8QT98Zk

C*nt Dooky

pdubs
03-14-2014, 03:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFN_AiD9a4&amp;list=UUSZbXT5TLLW_i-5W8FZpFsg

notthesun
03-14-2014, 03:34 PM
So I assume I'm not the only one who has Hagglund as 3rd on our CB depth chart? More impressive than agboss and richter IMO

I've been saying the same since the end of camp. Looked comfortable at CB and did a decent job filling in at RB due to injuries. Looks like he's got some upside.

Pint
03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLFN_AiD9a4&amp;list=UUSZbXT5TLLW_i-5W8FZpFsg

Love how they are giving us no chance and downplaying how effective Osorio can be... i hope they will be proved wrong

Technorgasm
03-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Bradley. . . when he had hair. . .

http://youtu.be/lBcy2bStHto

pdubs
03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
few updates

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 5m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/444590331594416128) At #tfc (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23tfc&src=hash) practice. Jeremy Hall, Jordan Hamilton and Gilberto did not travel.

Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 6m (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/444590395997974528)
NEWS: Nakajima-Farran is with TFC in Seattle http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/tfc-close-to-signing-canadian-nakajima-farran/#.UyNQG6P-rTI.twitter

notthesun
03-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Did Hall pick up an injury or something? Leaves us short at CM. Don't want Bekker playing there tomorrow. Hopefully Farran can be eligible for the bench, you'd have to think he might be since he traveled with the team.

ag futbol
03-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Wow, we really have a lot of guys out.

Ivy
03-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Issey gonna be a 2014 Bostock? Signed on game day?

Auzzy
03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Issey gonna be a 2014 Bostock? Signed on game day?

Or the 2014 Dan Gargan? I think there's been a few others even?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/tfc-signs-defender-dan-gargan-1.952028

Ivy
03-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Get them by surprise! Seattle won't know WHAT to do.

Yohan
03-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Seattle Sounders vs. Toronto FC
CenturyLink Field (4:30pm ET)
REFEREE: IOANNIS STRAVRIDES
AR1: Kyle Longville
AR2: Andrew Bigelow
4TH: Bernard Hosu

Former Greek FIFA ref.

The ARs however...

pdubs
03-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Larson thinks the starting 11 TFC tweeted will be correct for tomorrow except that Bloom will start, Orr on the bench. Everyone seems healthy except Gilberto and Hall.

same with john

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/444616674407239680) Projected starting 11 for #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): Cesar - Morrow, Henry, Caldwell, Bloom - Rey, Bradley, Osorio, Jakcson - Dero, Defoe

Bobinhood
03-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Im unsure if Caldwell has much left in the tank and Henry is raw so that pairing is really the swing vote here it could be a perfect combo or a useless tit or both or in between to varying degrees. Also unsure about the backs so d in general, and then is Brazils goalie shit now, or not? He was behind Robert Green who is very very good on his form days, so he may still be quite good hopefully. Warm up for the world cup Goalie loan. Bizarre. Hell, why not.

Think the mid is reasonable if not deep, and if they bring in somebody for Dike just to provide rest and rotation then the Strikers should be (gasp) quite good. We had Danny Dichio and it just never got better. Kouvermans when healthy scored at a clip. That's about it. Lifetime. JD should surely look pretty good.

Im worried some aspects but it has to be seen as better, much better on paper.

ProfessorDamage
03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Hagglund and Henry are going to give teams fits in the box off corners......

LOL. "Fits." I love the hyperbole. You can literally count the number of times we've scored off corners as a team since inception, and Henry has been here for a large chunk of that time now. I'm expecting a guy like Caldwell to bang in a few more if we're betting.

moralis
03-14-2014, 07:07 PM
Just asked John Molinaro a question on twitter about Jeremy Hall's injury and John responded saying he's out a couple of weeks with a hamstring injury. I guess it gives Bekker more playing time. Hope he makes the best of it.

TFC/Everton
03-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Larson thinks the starting 11 TFC tweeted will be correct for tomorrow except that Bloom will start, Orr on the bench. Everyone seems healthy except Gilberto and Hall.

same with john

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/444616674407239680) Projected starting 11 for #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash): Cesar - Morrow, Henry, Caldwell, Bloom - Rey, Bradley, Osorio, Jakcson - Dero, Defoe

By far the best team we've ever put on the pitch.

Petor
03-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Love this promo picture! :)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/1969200_10151924416061805_972545235_n.jpg

Joe Kool
03-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Just watched MLSsoccer.com's video preview of our game. Their prediction seems to be "pretty easy win for Seattle". Man I would love for TFC to smoke the Sounders....sick of hearing this kind of shit for so many years.

adam1001
03-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Just watched MLSsoccer.com's video preview of our game. Their prediction seems to be "pretty easy win for Seattle". Man I would love for TFC to smoke the Sounders....sick of hearing this kind of shit for so many years.

Wouldn't it be nice to get out of C-Link with a 4-0 win or something along those lines? We can dream, can't we?

BuSaPuNk
03-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I wasn't that impressed by Seattle last week. They wernt the amazing team people have been claiming they would be so far in there first game.

Dempsey looked like he didn't want to play. They moved the ball in the same spots all game long.

I think we really have a chance to get a result. And if Defoe and Bradley can dominate against the opposition I think we can get the win.

I'm saying 2-1 TFC.

LFC8
03-14-2014, 08:43 PM
19 hours and counting:scarf:

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 09:03 PM

I would call that a prediction based on what they heard rather then saw. That having been said, on paper, a neutral should be picking Seattle - home, played already, that pitch, that crowd, a more cohesive pre season, a more experienced coach, less injuries, more depth and more MLS experience.

Thankfully the games are not played on paper.

Soccerpro
03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
I don't think TFC are as good as some believe. We have a very questionable defence and no depth to the squad. 2 superstars won't be able to do everything for us.

notthesun
03-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Fuck it. Defoe hat trick. TFC wins 3-1.

ManUtd4ever
03-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Yeah, fuck it. If the Leafs can win 2 out of 3 in California and the Raps can clinch 3rd in their conference, there's no logical reason TFC can't win tomorrow.

2-1 TFC.

Ivy
03-14-2014, 10:23 PM
ol 'DEUCE' here is going to lay a big fat steaming Deuce. . right in the middle of Quest Field.

http://youtu.be/K6Di8QT98Zk

C*nt Dooky
What in the f*ck did I just watch???

speckles
03-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Don't know however it did make me smile.

Red CB Toronto
03-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Looking for Defoe to come out big and net one in his TFC debut.

speckles
03-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Given a chance expect him to convert, need one from set piece as well and we will be in it....

notthesun
03-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Seattle sweeps the predictions from MLSsoccer.com editors. Not even a draw on the board. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/14/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-and-cobi-jones-pick-week-2-matches)

tfcocd
03-14-2014, 11:26 PM

same with john

And the bench? Bendiq, Bekker, Morgan, Orr, Wiedeman, Agboss, Issey?

Bluenose13
03-14-2014, 11:39 PM
And the bench? Bendiq, Bekker, Morgan, Orr, Wiedeman, Agboss, Issey?I don't think Agboss travelled with the team....think I read that earlier.

shorty
03-14-2014, 11:53 PM
And the bench? Bendiq, Bekker, Morgan, Orr, Wiedeman, Agboss, Issey?

Swap Hagglund for Agboss and I think you have it.

tfcocd
03-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Swap Hagglund for Agboss and I think you have it.

-----------------------Cesar--------------------
--Bloom---------Henry--Caldwell-----Morrow
Jackson---------Bradley--Osorio----------Rey
------------------DeRo-----Defoe---------------

Bendiq, Bekker, Morgan, Orr, Wiedeman, Hagglund, Farren

(Gilberto and hall remain in toronto)

Shakes McQueen
03-15-2014, 05:26 AM
Seattle sweeps the predictions from MLSsoccer.com editors. Not even a draw on the board. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/14/pick-em-mlssoccercom-editors-and-cobi-jones-pick-week-2-matches)

"Analysts" are going to be wary with their predictions when it comes to TFC, given our history, and given that this overhaul has happened in one off-season, until we prove something. That will likely mean needing a few convincing wins first.

- Scott

cincy
03-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Gameday Bitches !!!!!

ensco
03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Sirius XM Radio do a thing on Friday's where they run down there top 3 games of the weekend. Worldwide. They bring in a bunch of euro corrspondents for the segment.

This weekend:

1. Manchester United vs Liverpool
2. TFC vs Seattle
3. Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen

MartinUtd
03-15-2014, 09:20 AM
I thought Rey and Bloom were injured too. I guess not?

LFC8
03-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Sirius XM Radio do a thing on Friday's where they run down there top 3 games of the weekend. Worldwide. They bring in a bunch of euro corrspondents for the segment.

This weekend:

1. Manchester United vs Liverpool
2. TFC vs Seattle
3. Bayern Munich vs Bayer Leverkusen

Tottenham v Arsenal not there? Interesting.

Ivy
03-15-2014, 09:25 AM
TFC > Tottenham

ensco
03-15-2014, 09:27 AM

They actually talked about that. Also PSG vs St Etienne.

They kind of admitted the MLS game was forced on the list.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2014, 09:32 AM
A lot of eyes on TFC going into this season, more so than ever. Leiweke has really put our club in the spotlight, and I hope they make our city proud.

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2014, 09:38 AM
I believe, I believe, I believe the Red Wins !!!!

It is such a beautiful day, the color Red is back in the air and the boys will be taking the pitch in a couple hours, how amazing it is. After all that this journey has gone through let the games begin and the good times roll.

LFC8
03-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Yeah, i'd actually leave the TFC game there. This is probably the biggest game for MLS since Beckham. Whereas Bayern Munich's got the Bundesliga locked up....and i mean LOCKED UP.

LFC8
03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
TFC > Tottenham

Defoe > Soldado

Pint
03-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Defoe > Soldado

I don't think very many at Spurs would argue this assessment

ensco
03-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Forecast is for showers and 12 degrees at game time

Alonso
03-15-2014, 09:54 AM
19 hours and counting:scarf:

5.5 hours and counting:scarf:

LFC8
03-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Anyone know how the rain will affect the field turf?

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2014, 10:04 AM

The Sounders stadium has a great drainage system so the pitch will be fine.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2014, 10:08 AM

Depending on the amount of precipitation that is anticipated and the quality of the drainage system, it could get ugly. The turf at BMO Field used to form puddles in heavy rain.

ManUtd4ever
03-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Ok, good to know. Less of an injury hazard.

molenshtain
03-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Sooooooo freaking amped for today. Nothing is better than game day, just we wish we at home so we could really kick off this season properly.

I'm not very confident of us getting a result though, Seattle's a pretty damn talented team and I think Oba and their midfield is going to be what decides it. they'll be crowding the middle of the field and trying to pop balls over the top to Martins and we kept getting pulled out of position when teams did this to us in pre-season. Nothing too much to worry about as I think this will solve it self when the team get's 5 or 6 competitive games together but i just think the result won't go our way for that reason.

we'll destroy D.C. next week though. they're still awful.

Cashcleaner
03-15-2014, 10:23 AM
^ This game for TFC is gonna be hard-fought no matter what. It sucks, but we have a lot of factors working against us coming into Seattle. The Sounders are a solid team coming off a win against Kansas City and a really productive preseason.

If we can pull off a win today, it would be fantastic. We could really do with a solid start to the season like picking up three points on the road.

ensco
03-15-2014, 10:27 AM
It was very wet for the game vs the Red Bulls last September. No puddles visible.

http://golazo.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-09-29-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls/recap

Pookie
03-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Depending on the amount of precipitation that is anticipated and the quality of the drainage system, it could get ugly. The turf at BMO Field used to form puddles in heavy rain.

Now that they have grass they also seem to want to continue to water it when it is raining/drizzling.

Never understood that.

TFC07
03-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Is it normal to be nervous? I haven't been this nervous for TFC game since CCL semi-final game.

ag futbol
03-15-2014, 11:47 AM
It was wet last week. Regardless of te drainage water + plastic = extremely slippery combo. It took a lot of the skill out of the game and made it more direct.

molenshtain
03-15-2014, 12:00 PM
It was wet last week. Regardless of te drainage water + plastic = extremely slippery combo. It took a lot of the skill out of the game and made it more direct.

Wouldn't that work in our favour then? I wouldn't want seattle playing with the ball on the ground too much. I think physically we match up to them much better.

West220Side
03-15-2014, 12:14 PM
C'mon Toronto... I have a six page essay due Monday... So hopefully i'm not procrastinating for nothing. Get the win, boys!

OgtheDim
03-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Confirmed that this game is blacked out on MLS Live, as expected.

Stream will be found at

http://www.feed2all.eu/watch/247031/1/watch-seattle-sounders-fc-vs-toronto-fc.html

ProfessorDamage
03-15-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't think TFC are as good as some believe. We have a very questionable defence and no depth to the squad. 2 superstars won't be able to do everything for us.

I couldn't agree with you more and have predicted a 3-0 loss for us today. With that said, your view will have a hard time being heard on the first game of the season, when untested euphoria and the thrill of hope are ruling the day. Much the same will be true next week since it's our home opener, but reality has a way of biting fast... and hard.

LFC8
03-15-2014, 12:59 PM
New Rule: No negativity on game day

Thx in advance:)

OgtheDim
03-15-2014, 01:06 PM
I couldn't agree with you more and have predicted a 3-0 loss for us today. With that said, your view will have a hard time being heard on the first game of the season, when untested euphoria and the thrill of hope are ruling the day. Much the same will be true next week since it's our home opener, but reality has a way of biting fast... and hard.

Go through the thread again and you'll see most of us who support this team are expecting a loss. Reality will be what it will be.

But nobody supports a team for the sake of experimenting with figuring out results. You don't support a team for reality, for objective reasoning.

There is nothing scientific or rationale about supporting a sports team.

You support a team for hope and the occasional euphoric experience like Dichio scoring that goal to tie that game at the end of season 1, or the beating of LAG in the CCL, or the goal by Weideman last season in the rain.

As for today, although I agree with you as to the likely outcome (I'm suggesting a 3-2 loss), for the first time in a LONG time there is hope for TFC. And that hope is seeping out to people beyond the few thousand supporters who have been around the last few years. And that hope is based on some building blocks that we have not had before. Today may go all pear shaped, but there is a solid foundation that can lead to success this season. And that's more then we can say about any other TFC team heading into its first game.

I'll take that hope.

Heart of Stone
03-15-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm predicting a big game for Dero... at least a goal... maybe two.

Is he playing?

He is the best MLSer we have.