PDA

View Full Version : TFC 2014 In-Season player moves/speculation/rumours/etc. thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14

flatpicker
10-17-2014, 03:03 PM
What on earth is going on?
I just took a half step closer to bailing on this club.
I'm fucking exhausted by all the madness.

I need a long sleep after this season.

reggie
10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
I like GILBERTO...but we tend to overate players on here,he is a good player not a great player...he has got 7 goals in 24 games not the 2nd coming of ROLANDO and so often injured so far and maybe he wants to leave,so getting LARIN and KENNEDY maybe some allo..
I rather sell him to a MEX club for the 5 mil that was a rumour a few mths ago.

Alonso
10-17-2014, 03:11 PM
What on earth is going on?
I just took a half step closer to bailing on this club.
I'm fucking exhausted by all the madness.

I need a long sleep after this season.

I think you speak for all of us.

This season ending drama took the wind right out of the TFC sails.

I'm demoralized.

Yohan
10-17-2014, 03:23 PM
seems a stiff price to pay for a rookie who hasn't done shit in pro career yet (I don't count CMNT cameos) and TFC has 4 1st rd picks already

wonder if Gilberto is being made a scapegoat for Defoe sulking (if any truth to these 2 not liking each other). and watch Gilberto score 12-15 goals next season for Orlando. He might, if Kaka stays healthy and Gilberto has figured out the league.

newb
10-17-2014, 03:24 PM
I have no problem with the missing the playoffs this season. And I have no problem with "losing" Defoe. But moving Gilberto to Orlando (where he'll probably score 20+ goals) feels like the start of another "great" rebuild. I'm not sure how motivated I am to stick around for another rebuild (SSH tickets, undoubtedly I'll still chump up for 3 or 4 games).

notthesun
10-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Not sure I'd favour that kind of move if they were picking him based on his passport. We do that waaaay too frequently. Larin is probably going to fall to TFC's draft slot anyways as his Canadian status would require teams to give up an International slot to get him. Unless Montreal is interested.

Larin's going to go top 2, U.S. teams are interested despite his international status.

TFC07
10-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Larin is number one draft prospect this year, but here's the catch: he's getting interest from Europe as well. So he might not even play in MLS next year.

RealG-TFC
10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
This is bullshit. I feel the same way I feel when we traded DeRo and Silva (and to some degree Laba, we got Bradley in return for that one). Amazing career move for Gilberto, he's probably going to be in the MVP contention next year knowing our luck. Matt Doyle was joking about this the other week on how we don't have stability and suggested we'd see Gilberto net something like 15 goals for Columbus or Philly in 2015/16. Fucking joke. Watch Defoe stay now because no one is crazy enough to buy him over in England.

Ruffian
10-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Larin's going to go top 2, U.S. teams are interested despite his international status.

There has been some news that NYCFC is trying to convince him to not go to Europe and stay in the draft so that they can get him.

TFC07
10-17-2014, 03:48 PM
This is bullshit. I feel the same way I feel when we traded DeRo and Silva (and to some degree Laba, we got Bradley in return for that one). Amazing career move for Gilberto, he's probably going to be in the MVP contention next year knowing our luck. Matt Doyle was joking about this the other week on how we don't have stability and suggested we'd see Gilberto net something like 15 goals for Columbus or Philly in 2015/16. Fucking joke. Watch Defoe stay now because no one is crazy enough to buy him over in England.

That might be case. Maybe Defoe is willing to stay with TFC if he get players he wants to play with. Trading Gilberto opens up a DP slot to sign another DP in the off-season if Defoe ends up staying with TFC.

flatpicker
10-17-2014, 04:04 PM
It's come to the point where I think we should hire a supervillian to run this club!
Not that the MLSE folks haven't been villainous; but they've been far from super.

http://eriklundegaard.com/media/2/lex-luthor-1978-1.jpg

OgtheDim
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 43m43 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/523207183627190273) @OgtheDim (https://twitter.com/OgtheDim) point is TFC may not have choice but to move Gilberto. My understanding is that his camp driving move.

It would be loopy if we end up with Defoe and Bradley in a 4-3-3.

TFC07
Duane Rollins @24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) · 44m44 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/523206731665784832)

BUT, if Gilberto is forcing his way out of Toronto, which is my understanding, then TFC needs to get highest yield possible.

notthesun
10-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Should have sold Defoe at the deadline, maybe Gilberto wouldn't want out.

TFC07
10-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 43m43 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/523207183627190273) @OgtheDim (https://twitter.com/OgtheDim) point is TFC may not have choice but to move Gilberto. My understanding is that his camp driving move.

Giving Orlando's owner is Brazilian and Kaka is going to play for Orlando, it makes sense from Gilberto POV to play for Orlando.

Do we know for sure that Orlando has first overall pick?

Anyway, if Gilberto wants to leave, then getting someone like Larin while opening up a DP slot is good move for TFC.

jloome
10-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Giving Orlando's owner is Brazilian and Kaka is going to play for Orlando, it makes sense from Gilberto POV to play for Orlando.

Anyway, if Gilberto wants to leave, then getting someone like Larin while opening up a DP slot is good move for TFC.

Larin is making a lot of MLS scouts salivate. He's really stepping his game up.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2014, 04:17 PM

They do draft lottery was held earlier this month I believe

brad
10-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Larin is making a lot of MLS scouts salivate. He's really stepping his game up.

What's his deal (position, strengths, etc,)?

Richard
10-17-2014, 04:26 PM
It's come to the point where I think we should hire a supervillian to run this club!
Not that the MLSE folks haven't been villainous; but they've been far from super.

http://eriklundegaard.com/media/2/lex-luthor-1978-1.jpg

Might as well have this guy run it.

https://img.neoseeker.com/ca/batman_arkham_asylum_conceptart_RyxWS.jpg

This team and organization is a madhouse

hulkrogan
10-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Remind me to never ever get a name put on a TFC shirt.

flatpicker
10-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Remind me to never ever get a name put on a TFC shirt.

You still need reminding?

;)

NolbertoS
10-17-2014, 05:08 PM
Fuck, might was well fire Tim Bez too. I would've kept Gilberto happy and traded Defoe. I don't want a sulken over-rated superstar on this team, if this move was to make Defoe happy. TFC are admitting now that playoffs are a foregone conclusion and starting from Step 1 again. Geez, next thing we need is Bradley bailing out too. Nobody at TFC is patient enough to build a good team. So demoralized that TFC's circus never stops.

jloome
10-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Fuck, might was well fire Tim Bez too. I would've kept Gilberto happy and traded Defoe. I don't want a sulken over-rated superstar on this team, if this move was to make Defoe happy. TFC are admitting now that playoffs are a foregone conclusion and starting from Step 1 again. Geez, next thing we need is Bradley bailing out too. Nobody at TFC is patient enough to build a good team. So demoralized that TFC's circus never stops.

Interestingly, MLS pundits have us winning (marginally) and Columbus losing this weekend, putting us even going into the final game.

jloome
10-17-2014, 05:27 PM
What's his deal (position, strengths, etc,)?

Pretty much all of the above. He's probably Canada's best striker prospect since Alex Bunbury. Fast, athletic, true left foot to go with a natural right, smart, creates space to get shots off, can play both with his back to goal and running at players....

Seriously dude, he's a good player. He could easily be a 10-15 a year guy in MLS for some time, if a European club doesn't make him a better offer first.

Pookie
10-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Did Larin end up with Gen Adidas status?

If so, I am warming to the idea

jloome
10-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Did Larin end up with Gen Adidas status?

If so, I am warming to the idea

He was offered it at the end of his freshman year but turned it down to go back as a sophomore. I imagine he'll still be GA when he gets picked in 2015.

Pookie
10-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Larin is number one draft prospect this year, but here's the catch: he's getting interest from Europe as well. So he might not even play in MLS next year.

I wouldn't say number one. It's a deep draft. Most "experts" have him rated in the top 5 - 10.

Conversations about him have picked up a lot over the year.

It would be an interesting pick up. Though if they go all forwards in the draft they best have a backline midfield plan in place or else we are just shuffling deck chairs on the same boat.

notthesun
10-17-2014, 06:15 PM
A Larin - Hamilton strike partnership would be damn fun to have. I hope Hamilton is in the plans for next year.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-17-2014, 07:01 PM
gonna wait to see what both have to offer in MLS before i get too excited about them

JuliquE
10-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I had to do a double take on "Speculation"…

Not sure I'd favour that kind of move if they were picking him based on his passport. We do that waaaay too frequently. Larin is probably going to fall to TFC's draft slot anyways as his Canadian status would require teams to give up an International slot to get him. Unless Montreal is interested.

If Gilberto is pissed off to the point of not wanting to player here, that would be the best next move. If not, I'm not sure that I make that move. This draft is deep and we have a few picks in that first round. Gilberto is the real deal based on what we have seen. As much as I love the draft, it's not a sure thing.
Exactly my feeling.. though I can't help but feel a happy Gilberto is worth more than a draft pick, especially when, as you say, we've got plenty of picks, already. *sigh*

Areathrasher
10-17-2014, 09:12 PM
There is a club in Belgium mad to sign Larin too. Genk I believe.

ensco
10-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Would the league allow a trade like that? Trading Gilberto for a draft pick is basically buying a draft pick for a million dollars (Gilberto's transfer price).

Areathrasher
10-17-2014, 09:33 PM
His salary is a million.

His transfer fee was 3.5

reggie
10-17-2014, 09:50 PM
he is going to a mex club in jan for 5 mil...you heard it first here...:scarf::drinking:but there is also a 50% chance that im wrong.

Hamilton_Red
10-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Laba was traded outright with Vancouver paying a significant portion of his initial transfer fee for him. He's not coming back.

Larson has stated this many times as has Bez to fans which Phil confirmed on here ages ago IIRC.

He was traded for "future considerations"... That we haven't actually got. Manneh or Tiebert would be adequate compensation. I also don't understand why Laba isn't a DP for Vancouver..?

Hamilton_Red
10-17-2014, 10:11 PM
After playing 5 seasons with TFC. I would be happy and okay that Doneil is sold.
I think he needs a new new environment.

The funny thing is, you would think this guy is at least 25 years old...whens hes only 21.

i think he was the most improved player we had this year... At 21 ...he is just starting as a CB. It would be a disastre to let him go. I'm not sure why he has fallen from grace in the last few games. A year long loan to Europe would be good for him...but don't let him go permanently.

notthesun
10-17-2014, 10:25 PM
i think he was the most improved player we had this year... At 21 ...he is just starting as a CB. It would be a disastre to let him go. I'm not sure why he has fallen from grace in the last few games. A year long loan to Europe would be good for him...but don't let him go permanently.

Can't stop good young players from moving on to bigger clubs. We would be doing Henry a massive disservice by blocking any moves from abroad he's interested in.

Yohan
10-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Can't stop good young players from moving on to bigger clubs. We would be doing Henry a massive disservice by blocking any moves from abroad he's interested in.

and I hope Henry is gone for 1 mil plus, so that TFC gets a nice stack of allocation money. if Henry moves on, at least get the most out of the deal

Yohan
10-18-2014, 06:02 AM
trading a DP that you paid a huge transfer fee for merely a first round pick is just madness. even if it turns out to be Cyle Larin. most strikers out of Superdraft haven't panned out well lately, and they only start producing on their 2nd year, with some exceptions. rookies rarely make immediate impact, and Larin will have unnecessary pressure on him for being 1st overall pick, plus being traded for a DP. he'll be compared to Gilberto in terms of production and that's quite not fair on a rookie

I'd rather go for a defender or a midfielder out of the draft than strikers

ensco
10-18-2014, 07:30 AM
His salary is a million.

His transfer fee was 3.5

God that is right.

$3.5M for the top pick is insanity. These guys are often Zakuani or Wenger , really just MLS journeymen, in the end.

Any GM who would do that, even if his bosses are clueless enough to let him, would be wrecking his resume for life.

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 07:37 AM
If we want to trade Gilberto and Henry in January for an asset, we have to protect them in the December expansion draft.

If Rollins is right, and Gilberto and Henry are going, we are going to be protecting 3 guys only in order to get trade value out of them later.

Soooo.....whatever we get for any of those guys, its not only a trade for him, its a trade for any guy Orlando or NYCFC pick from our roster.

What gets me ticked at this is although we are not the only team working out that calculus as far as players who want to be traded, we are likely the only team working all that out for 2 DP's.

Whoever we get as our 2 other DP's moving forward, we better make darn sure they are committed more then we seem to be getting (again, assuming Rollins is right which I'm still not sure of).

Edit: the more I'm thinking about this, the more the Rollins rumour sounds like it is coming out of Gilberto's manager's mouth. As others have pointed out, if we're going to do a trade with Orlando for Gilberto, its going to be for a bigger set of assets then a draft pick. This might be all just wishful Brazilian thinking that started along the lines of "Well wouldn't it be nice if Gilberto played with Kaka..."

Pookie
10-18-2014, 07:38 AM
God that is right.

$3.5M for the top pick is insanity. These guys are often Zakuani or Wenger , really just MLS journeymen, in the end.

Any GM who would do that, even if his bosses are clueless enough to let him, would be wrecking his resume for life.

What's the alternative though if he wants to leave?

Quite a few teams have 3DPs already so the trading partners within MLS are limited. Other leagues would simply be a sale so just allocation money.

A deal for a draft pick could include allocation cash.

Yes the finances don't make sense but that's on TL, isn't it?

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

One possible option: doing what Liverpool did with Suarez and waiting until the price makes more sense.

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 07:58 AM
seems a stiff price to pay for a rookie who hasn't done shit in pro career yet (I don't count CMNT cameos) and TFC has 4 1st rd picks already

wonder if Gilberto is being made a scapegoat for Defoe sulking (if any truth to these 2 not liking each other). and watch Gilberto score 12-15 goals next season for Orlando. He might, if Kaka stays healthy and Gilberto has figured out the league.
We should consolidate those picks. No way this team can handle developing four inexperienced players. Maybe stash a couple in USL? Even then, we have lots of issues to address in the offseason and I'd think quality before quantity would be a priority.

Pookie
10-18-2014, 08:39 AM
We should consolidate those picks. No way this team can handle developing four inexperienced players. Maybe stash a couple in USL? Even then, we have lots of issues to address in the offseason and I'd think quality before quantity would be a priority.

I agree with you on the development front.

But disagree on quality vs quantity.

There are basically two ways to get US domestics, a key in this league.

1) draft them
2) pick them up on the MLS scrap heap that is the waiver wire/re-entry draft

US assets are very valuable. Our cupboard is bare. It needs to be stocked.

nonc
10-18-2014, 09:17 AM
I adore Gilberto. On the one hand, Gilberto for 1st overall in draft is absolute nonsense. On the other hand it's potentially genius because money grows on trees for MLSE (we shouldn't care), so in essence I think the philosophy is that: they would basically be getting a 1st overall "for nothing" presuming they make an equitable DP signing replacement. So yes they would pretty much be buying 1st overall for millions of dollars lol, which would never happen without a cap. If this actually goes down and new DP is a dud it's pretty close to rock bottom for TFC you'd think. No pressure!

shwade
10-18-2014, 09:38 AM
If Gilberto, whose work ethic was second to none and was a real team guy, wants out because mgmt is doing whatever they can to keep defoe here, that's it. If they trade Gilberto for a first round pick then that's really it. And if they manage to hold on to defoe til next season and he starts throwing a hissy fit again, then fuck this team once and for all.

nonc
10-18-2014, 10:27 AM
If Gilberto, whose work ethic was second to none and was a real team guy, wants out because mgmt is doing whatever they can to keep defoe here, that's it. If they trade Gilberto for a first round pick then that's really it. And if they manage to hold on to defoe til next season and he starts throwing a hissy fit again, then fuck this team once and for all.

This :'(

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2014, 10:44 AM
God that is right.

agreed but what if player is wanting out and more or less does not want to return. Allocation is most likely. Id take the first round pick over allocation.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-18-2014, 10:45 AM

id be shocked if that was the case. Then again, this is MLSE

ensco
10-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Quite a few teams have 3DPs already so the trading partners within MLS are limited. Other leagues would simply be a sale so just allocation money.

A deal for a draft pick could include allocation cash.

Yes the finances don't make sense but that's on TL, isn't it?

You sell him to Cruz Azul or whomever. If the transfer fee someone would pay is less than $500K,maybe then trade him for the pick. But I don't believe that would be the case here.

$500K is probably what that pick is worth, max. These sorts of calculations are uncomfortable for leagues, which is why you never see picks sold for cash, and why I think MLS wouldn't allow this particular deal.

It's not our money, but that attitude doesn't work long term. As it is, many millions have been wasted here on the team in the last 12 months, and the people whose money has been wasted won't soon forget.

Pookie
10-18-2014, 11:28 AM
I adore Gilberto. On the one hand, Gilberto for 1st overall in draft is absolute nonsense. On the other hand it's potentially genius because money grows on trees for MLSE (we shouldn't care), so in essence I think the philosophy is that: they would basically be getting a 1st overall "for nothing" presuming they make an equitable DP signing replacement. So yes they would pretty much be buying 1st overall for millions of dollars lol, which would never happen without a cap. If this actually goes down and new DP is a dud it's pretty close to rock bottom for TFC you'd think. No pressure!

The "nothing" part though isn't nothing. It was going to be out of your pocket in the form of increased ticket prices. ensco has a point (above) regarding whose cash it actually is and the perception of waste.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 12:12 PM
This :'(

I am not sure that Gilberto is the good guy vs Defoe..the bad guy. Probably more complicated than that. Gilberto tries hard and has recently become decent. But if he had been clicking in the first half of the season we would have been walking away with the league. Defoe carried TFc in the beginning... i'm not sure that we can say that Gilberto has done the same at any point. I'd be really worried for next year if he was our main attacking threat. His form this season overall more than any of the DP's is a prime contributor to our situation. I'd like to see all three DP's stay if possible.

molenshtain
10-18-2014, 12:18 PM
I am not sure that Gilberto is the good guy vs Defoe..the bad guy. Probably more complicated than that. Gilberto tries hard and has recently become decent. But if he had been clicking in the first half of the season we would have been walking away with the league. Defoe carried TFc in the beginning... i'm not sure that we can say that Gilberto has done the same at any point. I'd be really worried for next year if he was our main attacking threat. His form this season overall more than any of the DP's is a prime contributor to our situation. I'd like to see all three DP's stay if possible.

The problem is that Defoe's good form coincided with the good form of the defence and Bradley to a lesser extent, whereas Gilberto's good form has coincided with no one else's. If you put Gilberto as the main striker in Seattle or Salt Lake or SKC, he'd have bagged more than seven this year. He'd probably be an MVP candidate.

Yohan
10-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Gilberto was injured during preseason, so took a while to be match fit. Plus getting used to the league. Not surprising that he was out of form to start the season.

ag futbol
10-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I agree with you on the development front.

But disagree on quality vs quantity.

There are basically two ways to get US domestics, a key in this league.

1) draft them
2) pick them up on the MLS scrap heap that is the waiver wire/re-entry draft

US assets are very valuable. Our cupboard is bare. It needs to be stocked.
I agree, need more domestics. Don't think the draft can address the issue alone.

With dispersal and expansion drafts this year, there should be some great opportunities to pick up experienced domestic players at a reasonable cost. Combine that with a few, higher quality, draftees and you've got a better shot of having that solid core.

JuliquE
10-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Gilberto was injured during preseason, so took a while to be match fit. Plus getting used to the league. Not surprising that he was out of form to start the season.
Right? I'm really gob-smacked at how frequently the context of his situation gets overlooked.

The other lad, above, there, also makes a great point about the form/hype of the season's start, versus when Gilberto came into form, with the team struggling.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 02:42 PM
See that header miss? Free header inside the six yard box...misses the net wide right. DP striker..crucial moment to keep your team in the playoffs. Work rate is wonderfull- we really like triers... But results are what count. He's missed too many important sitters to be our main striker. He's the Brazilian Chad Barret! (Ok that might be overdoing it...I'd still like him to stay). But i can think of at least three sitters he has missed that if scored would have us in the playoffs by now.

Soccerpro
10-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Our form slides when we made those in season trades with other MLS clubs. I wonder how it would of went if we were playing the same lineups as early in the season( still no Defore, I get that )

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Our form slides when we made those in season trades with other MLS clubs. I wonder how it would of went if we were playing the same lineups as early in the season( still no Defore, I get that )

I agree i think things changed when we traded Issey for Warner and pushed Osario out to the wing. The team chemistry started to decline at that point. The other problem was Caesar leaving and Bendik starting cold mid season. Chemistry got worse...Caldwell injury and no leadership in the CB position. Young promising talent in Haglund and henry...but no depth in leadership.

I wonder if the fact that we had so few games early - remember having 5 games in hand hindered us more than we think. We were more rested than our opposition early in season... Then had to catch up at more crucial stage of the season. MLS needs to short that crap out.

jloome
10-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Trading Issey was an amateur move by Nelsen; he took a solid roleplayer away, I suspect, because he's a "character" and not a prototypical meathead jock. He always seems to play well but never fits in anywhere.

molenshtain
10-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Trading Issey was an amateur move by Nelsen; he took a solid roleplayer away, I suspect, because he's a "character" and not a prototypical meathead jock. He always seems to play well but never fits in anywhere.

no. A central midfielder like Warner was a much bigger need than a back-up winger like Issey was. that's still a good trade.

Pookie
10-18-2014, 05:14 PM
See that header miss? Free header inside the six yard box...misses the net wide right. DP striker..crucial moment to keep your team in the playoffs. Work rate is wonderfull- we really like triers... But results are what count. He's missed too many important sitters to be our main striker. He's the Brazilian Chad Barret! (Ok that might be overdoing it...I'd still like him to stay). But i can think of at least three sitters he has missed that if scored would have us in the playoffs by now.

Good athletes in any sport sometimes miss the net. And year over year results vary.

Gretzky's 200+ point season was followed by a season that was about 30 points lower. Still a great player. And he rebounded after "slumping" and continued on for many, many years.

Now Gilberto is not the MLS version of Wayne. But to write him off after just a season would be foolish IMO.

flamehawk
10-18-2014, 05:22 PM

I was pretty disappointed to hear some boos from the supporters section when Issey came on. I don't understand why when he didnt want to leave. Thankfully a bunch of us applauded him from 221

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Good athletes in any sport sometimes miss the net. And year over year results vary.

Gretzky's 200+ point season was followed by a season that was about 30 points lower. Still a great player. And he rebounded after "slumping" and continued on for many, many years.

Now Gilberto is not the MLS version of Wayne. But to write him off after just a season would be foolish IMO.

Not writing him off. I'd like to see all three DP's stay - and provide some stability. A few shrewd trades to improve the wings. Move Bekker on for some improved support in the middle. Some leadership depth for Caldwell in CB.

I am not convinced that we have seen anything from Vanney - he showed no measurable improvement over Nelsen.

Steve

Areathrasher
10-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Issey did fuck all with Montreal after the trade.He couldnt see the pitch with one of the worst teams in the league, what was he going to do for us?

OgtheDim
10-18-2014, 09:24 PM
I was pretty disappointed to hear some boos from the supporters section when Issey came on. I don't understand why when he didnt want to leave. Thankfully a bunch of us applauded him from 221

Agreed.

That having been said, Issy wasn't all that good today.

Blizzard
10-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Agreed.

He was outstanding for Canada against Colombia though. As far as I'm concerned, he was on the verge of bumping Jackson to the bench (which in all fairness, shouldn't have been very difficult to do) but then Nelsen got rid of him. I consider that to have been a mistake.

flamehawk
10-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Agreed.

Yea, he wasn't effective at all today.

But He's performed well when he was with us and the times he was with Canada - it seems to be more of a question of how he is used.

UltraSuperMegaMo
10-18-2014, 09:41 PM
Any spec as to who Henry was sold to?

Davenport
10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
There's a reason why Gilberto is playing here and not in Brazil.

reggie
10-18-2014, 11:23 PM
I think people on here overrate GILBERTO...I call him CHADBERTO.works his ass off but misses sitters left and right...:scarf:

nonc
10-19-2014, 09:11 AM
The "nothing" part though isn't nothing. It was going to be out of your pocket in the form of increased ticket prices. ensco has a point (above) regarding whose cash it actually is and the perception of waste.
Ticket inflation is pretty much mapped out/going to happen regardless imo, it is MLSE after all. I don’t think TFC spending has much impact on what we pay. Every MLSE patron contributes, so in terms of who is technically paying for egregious TFC spending, isn't Maple Leaf revenue (and even Raptors) a lot more responsible? But yes I can see the point that all this spending is not without consequence…because let’s be honest it’s probably not going to be rewarding. :p

no. A central midfielder like Warner was a much bigger need than a back-up winger like Issey was. that's still a good trade.
I think it’s the other way around. Issy had been starting and was the last of our true wingers. Oduro and Jackson are both inconsistent and converted to the position, Lovitz has done alright but often plays like a boy out there and isn’t ready to be an MLS starter.

Warner is no better defensively than Bekker and doesn't like to sit any deeper, they simply have different offensive upsides. Bekker IS our depth CM but Nelsen/Bez were so afraid of starting him with Osorio for 4-5 games during WC that they sacrificed a productive winger to insulate our CM insulation lol. They threw a balanced situation out of whack. Plus the whole bait and switch they pulled on Issey was disgusting. Go Whitecaps.

molenshtain
10-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Ticket inflation is pretty much mapped out/going to happen regardless imo, it is MLSE after all. I don’t think TFC spending has much impact on what we pay. Every MLSE patron contributes, so in terms of who is technically paying for egregious TFC spending, isn't Maple Leaf revenue (and even Raptors) a lot more responsible? But yes I can see the point that all this spending is not without consequence…because let’s be honest it’s probably not going to be rewarding. :p

I think it’s the other way around. Issy had been starting and was the last of our true wingers. Oduro and Jackson are both inconsistent and converted to the position, Lovitz has done alright but often plays like a boy out there and isn’t ready to be an MLS starter.

Warner is no better defensively than Bekker and doesn't like to sit any deeper, they simply have different offensive upsides. Bekker IS our depth CM but Nelsen/Bez were so afraid of starting him with Osorio for 4-5 games during WC that they sacrificed a productive winger to insulate our CM insulation lol. They threw a balanced situation out of whack. Plus the whole bait and switch they pulled on Issey was disgusting. Go Whitecaps.

Issey rides the bench for the worst team in the league. He had a decent few games for us but it's highly unlikely it would have lasted. Warner is actually significantly better at DM than Bekker, as was evidenced yesterday quite a bit. The problem was that under Nelsen he had no idea what to do when Bradley was on the field because he had no role. When Warner started in the middle with Osorio during the WC he looked really good.

reggie
10-19-2014, 10:07 AM

ISSEY...Really:drinking:its because of injuries and there horrible home record not issey..im sure the whitecaps have a supporters forum for you.

Joe Kool
10-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Anyone know what is going on with Dike? He went from this solid backup striker and budding international to what? I figure he never recovered fully from his last injury or maybe it is that he is too low in the depth chart to make the bench. Not sure which. If I recall he got his last and pretty much only playing time just before Nelsen was shown the door. I had high hopes for him.

ag futbol
10-19-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm glad somebody said it (minus the go whitecaps part :) ). Warner blows.

He didn't address the problems in the middle of the field at all. His lack of pace and defensive intensity is an anchor out there and he offers little going forward other than sitting back as a deep lying holder who can occasionally make a decent path. He will probably be the first name on Vanney's cut list in the off season.

Considering out "best of a list of bad options" at that defensive spot, I'm not sure why Jeremy Hall can't get a game. He might lose his mark a few times a game, but at least he's offering something defensively, in comparison to Bekker/Warner who offer nothing or Osorio / Bradley, who should be freed up to go forward and not be sattled with shielding the back line as a primary responsibility.

molenshtain
10-19-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm glad somebody said it (minus the go whitecaps part :) ). Warner blows.

He didn't address the problems in the middle of the field at all. His lack of pace and defensive intensity is an anchor out there and he offers little going forward other than sitting back as a deep lying holder who can occasionally make a decent path. He will probably be the first name on Vanney's cut list in the off season.

Considering out "best of a list of bad options" at that defensive spot, I'm not sure why Jeremy Hall can't get a game. He might lose his mark a few times a game, but at least he's offering something defensively, in comparison to Bekker/Warner who offer nothing or Osorio / Bradley, who should be freed up to go forward and not be sattled with shielding the back line as a primary responsibility.

I know it's because we haven't see him in a while and so it's easy to forget, but Hall is essentially Warner without the passing range or decision making.

nonc
10-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Issey rides the bench for the worst team in the league. He had a decent few games for us but it's highly unlikely it would have lasted. Warner is actually significantly better at DM than Bekker, as was evidenced yesterday quite a bit. The problem was that under Nelsen he had no idea what to do when Bradley was on the field because he had no role. When Warner started in the middle with Osorio during the WC he looked really good.
It’s a pointless fact as it’s clear Montreal have both superior and more wing options than TFC, which he’s up against for playing time. So TFC are saved with Warner + Vanney? Thank goodness. He fairies around as much as Bekker without the ball he is just as weak in defensive transition and loose ball battles and man-to-man coverage. He has good vision and a reliable outlet pass that’s about it.

ISSEY...Really:drinking:its because of injuries and there horrible home record not issey..im sure the whitecaps have a supporters forum for you.
I didn’t think you were one for needy defensiveness, reggie. I have found it to be unhealthy to be devoted exclusively to an organization as acrid as TFC and enjoy watching a number of other clubs outside MLS, Vancouver being the only exception as I have a personal connection and I like Robinson and generally their whole team this year. Fair enough I reckon.

reggie
10-19-2014, 12:36 PM
you can support anybody you want...from what I understand this a tfc supporters forum(hard to tell sometimes)so why are you on here,your done with the club, cancel your account and you can jump on the bandwagon again when they win 3 in a row.cheers and goodluck to yr whitecaps,say hi to LABA for me.

ag futbol
10-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I know it's because we haven't see him in a while and so it's easy to forget, but Hall is essentially Warner without the passing range or decision making.
At least the guy hustles out there and has a top speed above 0.5 mph. I agree, his passing is worse and not a great player. But given the alternatives I'd have advocated giving him a game rather than continue with the alternatives who never made the most of their chances.

OgtheDim
10-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Interesting tidbits from Larson about Henry

Henry to the Russian League, perhaps?

Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523935280848715776)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Henry to Europe good for him?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523935668095819776)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) Not necessarily. What's your definition of Europe?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523936364883353600)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) top two tiers of the big 5 leagues, top tier anywhere else basically.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523936801191636992)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) I meant countries of the big five leagues so England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523937594136997888)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) There's quite a bit of misinformation out there. I'll have more on this over the next few weeks.
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523938154190217217)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) okay, all I know is after the game he looked like a guy that knew it was his last home game

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523939891940319233)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) It might have been. But, like I said, a lot of misinformation.

molenshtain
10-19-2014, 07:00 PM

or Turkey.

portu
10-19-2014, 07:17 PM
or Turkey.

Portugal maybe?

OgtheDim
10-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Most people consider Portugal Europe. Turkey or Russia or Ukraine...less so. Given all that is going on, it won't be the Ukraine. The Turkey thing sounds right. If he ends up at one of their top teams, he'll do fine.

molenshtain
10-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Most people consider Portugal Europe. Turkey or Russia or Ukraine...less so. Given all that is going on, it won't be the Ukraine. The Turkey thing sounds right. If he ends up at one of their top teams, he'll do fine.

at Besiktas with Hutchinson? I'd like it. Bilic is really a guy who can get the most out of players.

jloome
10-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Most likely West Ham, since they had a look at him for a while and he has had some good performances this year.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
10-20-2014, 11:02 AM

They're all UEFA. "Europe" was defined for purposes of this speculation as "top two tiers of the big 5 leagues, top tier anywhere else basically". So Portugal, Turkey, Russia and Ukraine are all in the same category (again, for purposes of this speculation).

ag futbol
10-20-2014, 12:15 PM
League one in France could be an option too, although not many Canadians have ever headed in that direction.

League is full of big, physical CBs, and refs tend to be pretty hands off. Think that might work for him, if he can get a permit and find a mid table side.

gdg_9
10-21-2014, 08:07 AM
Any spec as to who Henry was sold to?

Rollins speculated maybe Germany.

But based on the Larsun comments below, I would think Turkey.

Besiktas to join Atiba would make a ton of sense.

Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523935280848715776)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) Henry to Europe good for him?
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523935668095819776)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) Not necessarily. What's your definition of Europe?

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523936364883353600)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) top two tiers of the big 5 leagues, top tier anywhere else basically.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523936801191636992)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) I meant countries of the big five leagues so England, Spain, France, Germany and Italy
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523937594136997888)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) There's quite a bit of misinformation out there. I'll have more on this over the next few weeks.
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/502636639081209857/9Tnen1NH_bigger.jpeg Pierre Carter ‏@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos/status/523938154190217217)
@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) okay, all I know is after the game he looked like a guy that knew it was his last home game

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/485405940330405888/RI36eH-6_bigger.jpeg Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/523939891940319233)
@vivaeltacos (https://twitter.com/vivaeltacos) It might have been. But, like I said, a lot of misinformation.

at Besiktas with Hutchinson? I'd like it. Bilic is really a guy who can get the most out of players.

Super
10-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Not sure I understand how Henry is good enough for the Turkish league, but not the MLS.

TFC Kevin
10-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Not sure I understand how Henry is good enough for the Turkish league, but not the MLS.

He's most likely heading there to develop.
There's a lot of potential in him, he's 21, decent size and athleticism.
Low risk, high reward for the team who picks him up. He can only get better from here on out.

jloome
10-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Statistically our best defender (although Morrow might have edged him by the end there.)

DeRo Fan #1
10-21-2014, 07:19 PM
Keven Alemán?

Anyone know when he's out of contract with Herediano?
He's still only 20.
Maybe they could get his rights back from Vancouver as part of the Laba trade...

flamehawk
10-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Keven Alemán?

Anyone know when he's out of contract with Herediano?
He's still only 20.
Maybe they could get his rights back from Vancouver as part of the Laba trade...

That'd be exciting, but I am not sure if he's ready to play a role right away.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2014, 10:50 PM
Also i wouldnt be surprised if his rights expired

lobo
10-21-2014, 10:57 PM

is that still a thing? what is bez going to be negotiating for something at some point? i fully expect we get nothing really for trading laba ... just waiting for the other shoe to drop

Ossington Mental Youth
10-21-2014, 11:53 PM
is that still a thing? what is bez going to be negotiating for something at some point? i fully expect we get nothing really for trading laba ... just waiting for the other shoe to drop

yeah remember reading we'd only get back several hundred k's worth so prob a draft pick, allocation or a handshake

evermorian
10-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Since it seems Defoe is on his way out of TFC land, I think we should try to go for Erick Torress of Chivas USA. As someone else noted in another threader, he's sort of a younger version of Defoe without the attitude. Something like a 1 goal every other game strike rate. Might cost a bunch but totally worth it in my opinion.

Yohan
10-22-2014, 02:27 AM
Since it seems Defoe is on his way out of TFC land, I think we should try to go for Erick Torress of Chivas USA. As someone else noted in another threader, he's sort of a younger version of Defoe without the attitude. Something like a 1 goal every other game strike rate. Might cost a bunch but totally worth it in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J86QQV_ntG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PyS0ImgXA

Yohan
10-22-2014, 02:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mrHogdLiFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qh2yVHOf0

Yohan
10-22-2014, 02:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2t1gkp7Hro

You be the judge if Torres is rumoured 7 mil transfer fee

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/erick-torres

132 shots, 51 shots on goal, 22 goals in 42 games

OgtheDim
10-22-2014, 06:24 AM
There have been rumours about European teams and Torres. That fee isn't difficult for them to come by.

Areathrasher
10-22-2014, 07:55 AM
MLS have the first option for him though and there is no way MLS doesn't pay up.

It's just a question of who he ends up with.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Love Torres, feel like we need someone creative in the mid. More than just one person even. Wouldnt be surprised if we got a DP there like Valeri et al

jloome
10-22-2014, 12:48 PM
MLS have the first option for him though and there is no way MLS doesn't pay up.

It's just a question of who he ends up with.

Assuming MLS signs him before the dispersal draft, either Orlando or New York will take him. Crazy not to. Villa and Cubo up front for New York next season? Ouch.

jloome
10-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Love Torres, feel like we need someone creative in the mid. More than just one person even. Wouldnt be surprised if we got a DP there like Valeri et al

Lots of options out there. Two of the many names on my rolling scouting list just put up three goals last night against the Timbers for Olimpia, so I was sort of happy to see that.

Yohan
10-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Zelaya? Already on the list for couple of mls teams

I'd mine the crap out of Honduras and Costa rica

Areathrasher
10-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Assuming MLS signs him before the dispersal draft, either Orlando or New York will take him. Crazy not to. Villa and Cubo up front for New York next season? Ouch.

If they pay the rumored $7m fee for him I bet he by-passes any draft or allocation order.

jloome
10-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Zelaya? Already on the list for couple of mls teams

I'd mine the crap out of Honduras and Costa rica

Lozano and Rommel Quioto. Both kids, both very talented, capped for Honduras. I think Lozano is only 22.

I don't know about Costa Rica; it's tough to go off mostly stats and home vids from there because they have such a long history of guys crapping out in Europe. I think maybe it's cultural, so they'd probably do better here. Marcello Sarvas was at Herediano before the Galaxy, so the talent is definitely in that league.

Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, even Peru all have talent that is cheap and untapped by MLS, easily good enough to contribute in our league but either not skilled enough/not physical enough or too young/uncapped to consider Europe.

Alonso
10-22-2014, 01:00 PM
If they pay the rumored $7m fee for him I bet he by-passes any draft or allocation order.

..... And is magically gifted to TFC?

The Defoe flop might garner some sympathy from the league as that was supposed to save this franchise from the downward spiral.

As it stands the spiral continues.

jloome
10-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Good point. He might turn MLS down, too, and just sign in Mexico. But he'll get a DP deal with MLS, so I expect they can offer enough to keep him.

jloome
10-22-2014, 01:01 PM
..... And is magically gifted to TFC?

The Defoe flop might garner some sympathy from the league as that was supposed to save this franchise from the downward spiral.

As it stands the spiral continues.
Maybe it'll be like Bradley and we'll outbid any other interest.

Areathrasher
10-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Good point. He might turn MLS down, too, and just sign in Mexico. But he'll get a DP deal with MLS, so I expect they can offer enough to keep him.

It'd be a lot of pressure going back into Chivas GDL given the complete shit show they are at the moment. If I were him i'd pass on Mexico, that's always going to be there for him.

Another year or two in MLS then Europe.

Alonso
10-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Maybe it'll be like Bradley and we'll outbid any other interest.

I think the outbidding might be leaving with Tim B.

But Torres, at that age, with that output, should be a no brainer and if MLSE had a chance to out bid for him they would be beyond stupid not to.

Areathrasher
10-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Lozano and Rommel Quioto. Both kids, both very talented, capped for Honduras. I think Lozano is only 22.

I don't know about Costa Rica; it's tough to go off mostly stats and home vids from there because they have such a long history of guys crapping out in Europe. I think maybe it's cultural, so they'd probably do better here. Marcello Sarvas was at Herediano before the Galaxy, so the talent is definitely in that league.

Honduras, Colombia, Ecuador, even Peru all have talent that is cheap and untapped by MLS, easily good enough to contribute in our league but either not skilled enough/not physical enough or too young/uncapped to consider Europe.

Just seen that the Orlando management have been spotted at games in Colombia.

Good move

Canary10
10-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Should be a way to convert the Chivas first round pick into taking a player off their team.....

portu
10-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Should be a way to convert the Chivas first round pick into taking a player off their team.....

Called the dispersal draft...

Re Torres - If we're buying a Chivas GDL player than Fabian>Torres

Defoe
10-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Called the dispersal draft...

Re Torres - If we're buying a Chivas GDL player than Fabian>Torres

TFC could likely sell Defoe for 8-9 million. The rumoured 10-11 million from QPR would be a hard sell right now.

Torres for 7 million and use the remaining 2ish million on either an AM or CB :)

evermorian
10-22-2014, 08:58 PM
TFC could likely sell Defoe for 8-9 million. The rumoured 10-11 million from QPR would be a hard sell right now.

Torres for 7 million and use the remaining 2ish million on either an AM or CB :) There's no denying Torres is talented, but if Gilberto stays (which he has publicly stated he does) should tfc still go after Torres?

mowe
10-22-2014, 09:00 PM
$7 million for Torres is steep (yes I've seen him play), I'd rather spend that money on an attacking mid.

Plus we don't know what's happening with Gilberto. Using the DPs spots on Bradley and two strikers again doesn't seem like a good idea. But if Gilberto leaves then I'd be happy to get Torres. He's a proven commodity in this league.

levyashin
10-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Gilberto/Torres-------------------Gilberto- Defoe I know which combo I would go for!:hump:

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 11:38 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525324682099425280) Vanney says Doneil has been sold to a team in Cyprus or somewhere in Europe. Has been on loan with #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) this season.

What the........?

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 11:39 AM
Thats not weirdly odd or vague at all

pdubs
10-23-2014, 11:42 AM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525324682099425280) Vanney says Doneil has been sold to a team in Cyprus or somewhere in Europe. Has been on loan with #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) this season.

What the........?

I just saw that.

but

Kristan Heneage ‏@KHeneage (https://twitter.com/KHeneage) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KHeneage/status/525325311366680576)
@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) I'm confused, he's not sure where he has been sold to?

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525325499275681792)
@KHeneage (https://twitter.com/KHeneage) I don't think he knows.

which makes me go ?????????????????????????

How can you sell someone, loan them, and not really know where they were sold too? You think you would tell the player. Hopefully just a mix up on the reporting end lol. mai gawd

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 11:42 AM
Maybe I am a fatalist or my TFC PTSD is in high gear but all these odd, secretive back door dealings are reminding me of the 2011-2012 lost seasons. I am expecting the worst and I am sure we'll well get it.

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Luke Wileman ‏@LukeWileman (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/LukeWileman/status/525325911961653248)
Re Doneil Henry: Incredible that Toronto FC sold a player before the season started and didn't make it public. #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525325920731947009)
Doneil Henry being sold allowed Toronto FC to get a lot of allocation money in while keeping the player on their books for the season.

WOW

pdubs
10-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Maybe I am a fatalist or my TFC PTSD is in high gear but all these odd, secretive back door dealings are reminding me of the 2011-2012 lost seasons. I am expecting the worst and I am sure we'll well get it.

This makes us seem so bush league.

This sums it up for me:
Jason deVos ‏@jasondevos (https://twitter.com/jasondevos) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/jasondevos/status/525325187500486657)
So, Doneil Henry was sold to a team in Cyprus and has been playing for #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) on loan. And why wasn't this made public when he was sold?

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525326217269227520) Its more than fair to draw a straight line between that decision and the defender's struggles this season. #tfc (https://twitter.com/hashtag/tfc?src=hash)

Jason deVos ‏@jasondevos (https://twitter.com/jasondevos) 58s58 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/jasondevos/status/525327016967802881) The subterfuge employed by those running #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) is just incredible. Just. Tell. The. Truth. The fans are smart - they can handle it

Canary10
10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Wow. What a shitshow.

Red4ever
10-23-2014, 11:50 AM
TFC is the best.

http://i.imgur.com/jthh8Dp.jpg

OgtheDim
Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525327504387874816) I was told the team Doneil Henry has been sold to is not clear because his representatives did the deal with Toronto FC & Kia Joorabchian.

Oh my.....

Areathrasher
Kristian Jack ‏@KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525327504387874816)
I was told the team Doneil Henry has been sold to is not clear because his representatives did the deal with Toronto FC & Kia Joorabchian.

OH BOY

EDIT: SNAP :lol:

pdubs
Is there any legitimate reason why the team wouldn't let the media and fans know of a sale of a long standing TFC and Canadian international player? Like did they think we would be mad? LOL. Certainly, as just happened, the truth would eventually leak. I don't think anyone is surprised that Henry was sold. But for it to happen before the season started, not tell the player exactly where (or when???) they were going... and not a peep. Fuck. Makes this reek of the old TFC regime we thought was gone.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 11:52 AM
At the very least it would have been nice, as a supporter, to have the chance to give him a standing O after the last game. Kid grew up with this team. We don't even get that chance?!!

pdubs
10-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Nugget -

Kristian Jack @KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) · 5m5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525327504387874816)

I was told the team Doneil Henry has been sold to is not clear because his representatives did the deal with Toronto FC & Kia Joorabchian.

Jason deVos ‏@jasondevos (https://twitter.com/jasondevos) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/jasondevos/status/525327923868631040)
LRT - yes, that is the same Kia Joorabchian who did the Tevez and Mascherano deals in England.

ryan
10-23-2014, 11:54 AM
john molinaro ‏@johnmolinaro (https://twitter.com/johnmolinaro) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/johnmolinaro/status/525324682099425280) vanney says doneil has been sold to a team in cyprus or somewhere in europe. Has been on loan with #tfc (https://twitter.com/hashtag/tfc?src=hash) this season.

What the........?

what the fucking fuck tfc you god damn fucktwats.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 11:59 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0pYPcGIAAAnYt9.jpg:large

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 12:01 PM
So I guess we wait for the Gilberto shoe to fall now.

:picard:

pdubs
10-23-2014, 12:04 PM
So I guess we wait for the Gilberto shoe to fall now.

:picard:

My only question is it already done? LOL. This team...

Richard
10-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Anyone still confident in Mr.Harry Potter?

Richard
10-23-2014, 12:06 PM
This deserves a thread of its own, the club once again is shitting on the fans by not telling us the truth.

Lets here about the Laba deal now!

notthesun
10-23-2014, 12:06 PM
This club is a fucking joke. I'm done.

arsenal
10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Please tell me we have not already spent those allocation dollars ... that they were not used on the roster that just wasted a season.

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Please tell me we have not already spent those allocation dollars ... that they were not used on the roster that just wasted a season.

Looks like it.

Phil
10-23-2014, 12:09 PM
You could see it in Henrys eyes when he went to 113 & 112. Both Busapunk and I looked at one another and said 'he's done here'.

What a joke of a way to handle it. TFC are finding new ways to make this all a bad joke.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Probably went to sign Julio Cesar. Remember him? That was money well spent!!

MartinUtd
10-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore, even this.

Detroit_TFC
10-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Fuck me. This outfit just takes the cake. Yes, Henry was on his way out but the FO found the most fucked up way to do it.

Fort York Redcoat
10-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Nothing surprises me anymore, even this.

Not me. This is next level shit. This is telling me Spider-man has been Ben Riley all along.

Initial B
10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
This is an absolutely insane way to run a franchise, even by TFC/Chivas standards.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Why won't the pain stop? Who was the one that green-lighted this whole thing? If it was Lieweke, then he knew this whole season would be smoke and mirrors and sold us a lie.

This franchise can't be saved. Not under current ownership, anyways. MLS needs to pay back the franchise fee to MLSE, and sell the franchise to someone in the Toronto area who can build a completely new organization free of MLSE's taint.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Obviously MLS has a hand in every sale. But why would they put pressure on TFC to with-hold this type of information before the season started? Because we used the allocation money to get Cesar? This is bad from the league and TFC

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 12:15 PM
The league is just as much at fault here too. They own the player contracts.

arsenal
10-23-2014, 12:16 PM

I would love to blame Nelson for this .... as I really want Bez to not be part of the problem ... but this kind of thing has the fingerprints of a lawyer/capologist getting cute with the rules

Canary10
10-23-2014, 12:17 PM
The league is just as much at fault here too. They own the player contracts.

Yeah, but really hard to believe TFC couldn't have done anything about it.

Red4ever
10-23-2014, 12:18 PM
I would love to blame Nelson for this .... as I really want Bez to not be part of the problem ... but this kind of thing has the fingerprints of a lawyer/capologist getting cute with the rules

Maybe Nelsen was just a mediocre coach that pissed off his boss. I want Bez' head on a stick.

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 12:23 PM
Kristian Jack @KristianJack (https://twitter.com/KristianJack) · 27m27 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/KristianJack/status/525329418018119681)

Sale of Henry happened at the start of the season. Joorabchian sat with the player's reps & Leiweke at the home game vs Philly last month.

FRANKIE65
10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Wow............

:facepalm:

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 12:40 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525340609620766722)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) official confirms sale/loan back of Doneil to an unspecified club. Deal hasn't been finalized as of yet. Expect him back in 2015.

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2014, 12:41 PM
You could see it in Henrys eyes when he went to 113 & 112. Both Busapunk and I looked at one another and said 'he's done here'.

What a joke of a way to handle it. TFC are finding new ways to make this all a bad joke.

Yep it was pretty clear then and this makes it clear why he was that emotional.

What terrible optics from the club. After all of the sideshow issues this season after selling us on how good we should be.....how are they going to bring any new fans let alone existing fans back?

Expect renewal rates to plummet, so unfortunate.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 12:44 PM
wtf. it continues. Expect him back?

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525340609620766722)
#TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) official confirms sale/loan back of Doneil to an unspecified club. Deal hasn't been finalized as of yet. Expect him back in 2015.

portu
10-23-2014, 12:45 PM
What is air

portu
What is life

Richard

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525340609620766722)

So is he sold? How can it not be finalized and have him loaned back to us?

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 12:46 PM
...Expect renewal rates to plummet, so unfortunate.

Hate to say this, but most people won't care.

portu
What is TFC:facepalm:

Phil

Oh TFC....wow. I actually have no words.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/525341742405804032)
Just spoke with a club official at Toronto FC. Nothing has been finalized re: Doneil Henry. #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

Canary10
10-23-2014, 12:48 PM
When does the picture of Henry holding up another club's kit drop?

Richard
10-23-2014, 12:49 PM
http://butlerlbrandy.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/swear-to-spin-the-truth_resize.jpg

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Well if the deal isn't finalized then not announcing it makes more sense. Also maybe to not let the media get on him too much while being here on loan.

But no excuses from me. As I said in the next manager thread, Vanney and Bez are not the guys to run this squad unless you are missing the back room B.S of TFC old.

Clean house & reboot. Again.

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Hate to say this, but most people won't care.

Agreed. Hate it because less bodies in the seats means less excitement and less passion. If that slowly dies it's going to be an up hill battle for us in the bunker.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 12:51 PM
When does the picture of Henry holding up another club's kit drop?
He'd have done it already if he knew who he was transferred to.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 12:52 PM
Ten minutes ago the story was he was sold at the start of the season and loaned back? Now it's the deal isn't done? So there is no loan? Wtf? Did they look at the Twitter response and change the story?

pdubs
10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
You think this would be easy to figure out? Either he is sold and on loan now or he isn't. Or is the actual story he will be sold then loaned back? Fuck how hard is it

Unless Molinaro is talking about the potential loan for next year? Edit- yeah I think this is what he is talking about. Gah

But Armen saying this...

Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian)2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/525341742405804032)
Just spoke with a club official at Toronto FC. Nothing has been finalized re: Doneil Henry. #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) #MLS (https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLS?src=hash)

Canary10
10-23-2014, 12:57 PM
This is soooo the Plata situation all over again.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Ten minutes ago the story was he was sold at the start of the season and loaned back? Now it's the deal isn't done? So there is no loan? Wtf? Did they look at the Twitter response and change the story?
This is probably a case of Vanney talking out of turn before getting properly advised on the angle of the spin.

brad
10-23-2014, 01:01 PM

My first thought...

Ajax TFC
10-23-2014, 01:02 PM
This makes no sense in any way whatsoever. Either someone is telling some pretty bold lies, or someone really got this story wrong. Either way, one thing is certain: this team is far more interesting to follow off the pitch than on it

mowe
10-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Eh, if we were going to sell him anyway, I don't care when it happened. What's important is that we still have the allocation to spend.

This also adds another reason why both coaches preferred Hagglund over Henry.

Also, credit to Rollins for breaking this story. He gets unfairly dismissed here too much.

But seriously. TFC is the biggest shitshow of a club in the world. NEVER a dull moment.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 01:05 PM
This is soooo the Plata situation all over again.
Okay so the deal/loan is for next season, I get that now but I have a question; it says the deal was arranged by Henry's reps and this unnamed club. So TFC let him go find his own club? They are that down on him?

Whole thing is so suitably TFC Versions 4.0 to 6.5. Back to the good old days.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 01:07 PM
As far as I can tell-

We sold him before season started and he was loan back right away

The issue now is that it isn't confirmed if he will be loaned back again next season. I think this is wear the confusion is. Tweet could have been worded differently.

Phil
10-23-2014, 01:07 PM
I know for a fact that current TFC coaches think Henry costs too many red cards and has an issue with his development.

(snikers - ya its a player problem LOL)

brad
10-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Eh, if we were going to sell him anyway, I don't care when it happened. What's important is that we still have the allocation to spend.

Also, credit to Rollins for breaking this story. He gets unfairly dismissed here too much.

But seriously. TFC is the biggest shitshow of a club in the world. NEVER a dull moment.

Depends on the reason. If they sold him to get allocation to sign Cesar for 10 games, that is terrible. Sold a player for marketing purposes. If they sold him and used the allocation this year to go for broke, then it just points towards how much more epic of a failure this is. 3 DP's, two very expensive ones, and a boatload of allocation on top of that.

Interesting to see what the truth is here - if it has happened or is happening.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 01:12 PM
TFC can't even break a news story right without screwing it up.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Rollins is implying the club in question

Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 24m24 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/525343018543751169)
AC Omonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Omonia

Canary10
10-23-2014, 01:14 PM

Knowing the "when" is just part of basic transparency to your fans.

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 20m20 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/525343018543751169) AC Omonia.

I think that's what Rollins is hearing.

So sold via a 3rd party dude to a team with financial difficulties.

PopePouri
10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Keep on that anti-TFC management narrative. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

ArmenJBX
10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Alright, I've got a few minutes to talk.

Questions?

Canary10
10-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Questions?

Can we start with is Henry actually sold or no?

PopePouri
10-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Questions?

Break down the Doneil situation please.

Richard
10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
How about why not telling us the truth about one of TFC's longest tenured and well liked players.

ArmenJBX
10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Greg Vanney:

“I don’t know all the details and the ins and outs of it,” Vanney said at training Thursday. “As I understood it, his contract might have been sold to a club in Cyprus or a club in Europe but he’s on loan, or, he’s with us, for an indefinite amount of time. For me, when a player wants to try to pursue things overseas, we want to be supportive. At the same time, we wanted him here and it’s an arrangement where he’s a Toronto FC player as long as he and we agree on that.”

TFC comment:

“It’s a sale and loan back, however nothing has yet been finalized,” a club representative from Toronto FC said. “When something is finalized, we’ll be able to provide more details. There’s a very good chance Doneil returns next year but those things are discussed at the player meetings at the end of the year.”

So it looks like there's a deal being worked on but nothing is finalized and that Doneil is likely to return for the 2015 season.

Kingvikingstad
10-23-2014, 01:28 PM
The joke keeps being told but it's not getting any funnier.

More information is needed, but this is beyond ridiculous that the club can't even get the details straight.

EDIT - Just read the clarifying post. I'm not sure why this information was not available sooner. Doesn't it stand that the supporters should know this information (as well as the financial ramifications)?

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
My prediction for this next off season; more dysfunction and excuses followed by dumping players who will come back to haunt us (ie. Gilberto - we will dump him because of B.S some reason Vanney and Bez think up and then he will win the golden boot or MVP with Orlando). They will say we are building the squad to play attractive football and we will be stable because we kept the core together but unfortunately that core will be all the parts that should be dumped (Hall, Wiedeman, Bekker, Richter, etc). I expect another year of not having a full squad leading up to the season (partially due to lock out but still).

As we stand now I have no hope for 2015 - I predict finishing in the low 30's in points and the over/under on Vanney is Mid June.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 01:29 PM
PopePouri, you see Armen's quotes and wonder why we have an anti-TFC management narrative going here? You couldn't get a better non-response out of the mouth of Stephen Harper.

PopePouri
10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Greg Vanney:

“I don’t know all the details and the ins and outs of it,” Vanney said at training Thursday. “As I understood it, his contract might have been sold to a club in Cyprus or a club in Europe but he’s on loan, or, he’s with us, for an indefinite amount of time. For me, when a player wants to try to pursue things overseas, we want to be supportive. At the same time, we wanted him here and it’s an arrangement where he’s a Toronto FC player as long as he and we agree on that.”

TFC comment:

“It’s a sale and loan back, however nothing has yet been finalized,” a club representative from Toronto FC said. “When something is finalized, we’ll be able to provide more details. There’s a very good chance Doneil returns next year but those things are discussed at the player meetings at the end of the year.”

So it looks like there's a deal being worked on but nothing is finalized and that Doneil is likely to return for the 2015 season.

Word was that he was sold at the start of the 2014 season. Any reason why wouldn't have announced the sale then?

PopePouri, you see Armen's quotes and wonder why we have an anti-TFC management narrative going here? You couldn't get a better non-response out of the mouth of Stephen Harper.

Because the quotes don't tell the whole story. It sounds more complicated than simply dropping the ball on an announcement. The league owns the contract. What was their involvement in this? Is this a 3rd party sale? What are the league rules for a third party sale?

ArmenJBX
10-23-2014, 01:30 PM
Not sure. The club is holding a few meetings next week for locker room clear outs so hopefully there will be more details about this on Wednesday.

pdubs
10-23-2014, 01:32 PM
So we are not 100% certain he was actually sold and loaned back?

notthesun
10-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Duane Rollins ‏@24thminute (https://twitter.com/24thminute) 20m20 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/24thminute/status/525343018543751169) AC Omonia.

I think that's what Rollins is hearing.

So sold via a 3rd party dude to a team with financial difficulties.

Quick google shows Omonia as 2nd on the all-time Cypriot 1st division table and 2nd all-time league wins, last won the league in 2009 and currently sitting in 6th. Based in Nicosia like APOEL, the most successful Cypriot team. However of the "big" clubs in Cyprus, Omonia is the only one never to qualify for the Europa or Champions League group stage.

Initial B
10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Armen, who authorized the sale?

PopePouri
10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Not sure. The club is holding a few meetings next week for locker room clear outs so hopefully there will be more details about this on Wednesday.

Thank you Armen.

BuSaPuNk
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
One word can sum up today..... clusterfuck

Canary10
10-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Word was that he was sold at the start of the 2014 season. Any reason why wouldn't have announced the sale then?

Because the quotes don't tell the whole story. It sounds more complicated than simply dropping the ball on an announcement. The league owns the contract. What was their involvement in this? Is this a 3rd party sale? What are the league rules for a third party sale?

I get that it's complicated, but I do a bit of media work and if I walked in not being able to explain the complexity I wouldn't have a job.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Molinaro's column seems clear that he was sold months ago and is now on a loan back. Only question is whether the loan will continue. Based on everyone's observations of Doneil after the game Saturday, have to think that's already answered and again we're not getting the straight answer.

Link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/mls-michael-bradley-toronto-fc-tfc-major-league-soccer/

PopePouri
10-23-2014, 01:56 PM
I get that it's complicated, but I do a bit of media work and if I walked in not being able to explain the complexity I wouldn't have a job.

When I get confirmation that TFC kept it from the public based on their own volition, then I'll join you on that anti-TFC bandwagon. Right now, there's not enough evidence for it.

Canary10
10-23-2014, 02:11 PM
John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525362800148103170)
Re timeline of Doneil sale. I heard from source about the sale in April. I couldn't report it at time because I only had 1 OTR source. #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

John Molinaro ‏@JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) 1m1 minute ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525362989135065088)
So if it did happen back in April and it's only coming out now from #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash), that's poor form on club's part, IMO.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 02:13 PM
When I get confirmation that TFC kept it from the public based on their own volition, then I'll join you on that anti-TFC bandwagon. Right now, there's not enough evidence for it.
If this deal was done months ago and Henry was loaned back then there is no reason to keep it private. The whole "not completed' part still makes no sense as it contradicts everything else being said previous.

This one was probably better left unsaid until it's all done, unless of course it is all done and they are either lying to us or are making it more convoluted than need be. Telling the media now, in this confusing way, was not the right way to go. If you work in professional sports then you should at least be able to leak your own information without making it a PR shitstorm.

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Okay, simple question; is it completed or not?

If it was done in April then how is it, as they themselves said, not completed now? Does TFC management even know the specifics of this deal? Who did the deal?

Canary10
10-23-2014, 02:17 PM
If this deal was done months ago and Henry was loaned back then there is no reason to keep it private. The whole "not completed' part still makes no sense as it contradicts everything else being said previous.

This one was probably better left unsaid until it's all done, unless of course it is all done and they are either lying to us or are making it more convoluted than need be. Telling the media now, in this confusing way, was not the right way to go. If you work in professional sports then you should at least be able to leak your own information without making it a PR shitstorm.

If they weren't lying, a good course of action would have been to have the person who could properly explain it take all the media aside and properly explain it before they started writing columns, tweeting, etc.

gdg_9
10-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Okay, simple question; is it completed or not?

If it was done in April then how is it, as they themselves said, not completed now? Does TFC management even know the specifics of this deal? Who did the deal?

The "not completed" part appears to be the negotiations on whether he stays next year as well or not.

I don't even really have a problem with them not announcing the other team right now.
If the other team doesnt want it made public, and Henry was still going to play for us all this season, fine.

But still relate that situation to the supporters.
"Henry's rights have been sold to an unnamed party, but will continue to play for Toronto FC on indefinite loan."... simple!

Ultra & Proud
10-23-2014, 02:31 PM
"Henry's rights have been sold to an unnamed party, but will continue to play for Toronto FC on indefinite loan."... simple!
Nothing is simple at TFC.

jloome
10-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Hey Armen!

There have been a few cases recently of footballers trying to fast-track EU work permits by getting citizenship in Cyprus, which, due to the economic situation there, has been eased. This may be an end-around to get him dual Cyprus citizenship via employment or residence there (as Juan Agudelo was attempting); that's why they don't care if he's loaned back. Because the Cyprus club is just the agent's end-around so that they can move him to a club in England, probably West Ham.

Certain parties involved this have a history of this sort of thing, and I will leave it at that. If he plays in Cyprus, it won't be for more than a season (it's actually not a terrible league, sort of USL level with some craft Brazilians and Slavs thrown in).

So what is almost certainly happening is that his rights have been sold to the party in question , who is extremely litigious and shall not be named here, as well as a small part to the cyprus club to keep it legit with FIFA, who will then sell him on to the final team in another country. It'll all be academic to TFC as we've already been paid.

EDIT: According to that club's wiki, if Rollins is right, they're in financial difficulties. So they'd probably cut whatever deal the agents wanted to get a cut:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Omonia

(it's at the bottom.)

SECOND EDIT: Just to clarify, Canada's ranking is so low right now that there's no way he'd qualify for an English work permit without an EU family tie. It's why they're rushing to get Yedlin a Lithuanian or Estonian passport or somethign right now, as he doesn't have enough games with the U.S. nats (even though it IS well ranked enough).

TFC07
10-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Hey Armen!

There have been a few cases recently of footballers trying to fast-track EU work permits by getting citizenship in Cyprus, which, due to the economic situation there, has been eased. This may be an end-around to get him dual Cyprus citizenship via employment or residence there (as Juan Agudelo was attempting); that's why they don't care if he's loaned back. Because the Cyprus club is just the agent's end-around so that they can move him to a club in England, probably West Ham.

Certain parties involved this have a history of this sort of thing, and I will leave it at that. If he plays in Cyprus, it won't be for more than a season (it's actually not a terrible league, sort of USL level with some craft Brazilians and Slavs thrown in).

So what is almost certainly happening is that his rights have been sold to the party in question , who is extremely litigious and shall not be named here, as well as a small part to the cyprus club to keep it legit with FIFA, who will then sell him on to the final team in another country. It'll all be academic to TFC as we've already been paid.

Yup. That's exactly is going on here.

This is why club that bought Henry isn't named.

Richard
10-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Kia Joorabchian and TFC is a match made in heaven. Nothing can go wrong!

Ossington Mental Youth
10-23-2014, 02:59 PM

not to mention how this had to go through MLS which is notorious for shit like this

Detroit_TFC
10-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Feeling ill that Kia J has anything to do with TFC.

Ajax TFC
10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
What are the league rules for a third party sale?
I imagine the league's rules are along the line of: if you pay the right price, we couldn't care less if you're a club, 3rd party owner, or a human trafficking ring (though the lines between the latter two are sometimes rather blurry).

DeRo Fan #1
10-23-2014, 03:42 PM
So what?
Maybe West Ham has an agreement in place, where Henry decides when to leave TFC, before going on loan to Cyprus if he doesn't have a work permit by then...

jloome
10-23-2014, 03:46 PM
So what?
Maybe West Ham has an agreement in place, where Henry decides when to leave TFC, before going on loan to Cyprus if he doesn't have a work permit by then...

I think you only have to own property there for a short period before you can get EU status, same as Spain right now. Part of trying to recover from the real estate crash that has left them with thousands of unsold villas.

So he wouldn't even need to play there, just be owner of land of a certain net value for a certain period, probably a year, during which time he stays on loan with TFC.

Detroit_TFC
10-23-2014, 03:57 PM
The whole thing makes more sense if it was a ploy to get Henry an EU passport. Still unsavory but explains why FO had to keep a lid on it.

I thought UEFA had some way to prevent passport shopping though.

Areathrasher
10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 6m6 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525392641203376128)

Bez: "Doneil told us he wanted to play in Europe before season. Offer from West Ham didn't come. One did come from Cyrpus." #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525393045760770048)

Bez: "Initial terms were agreed [with Cyprus team] around March/April." #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash)

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 4m4 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525393258592358400)

Bez on not announcing when deal done: "The player wasn't leaving. Ca hit not changed. Back next year. Thought it'd be distraction.# TFC

John Molinaro @JohnMolinaro (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro) · 3m3 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/525393562499026945)

Bez: #TFC (https://twitter.com/hashtag/TFC?src=hash) got allocation money as part of sale at time of sale.

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
LOL beat to it.

Red4ever
10-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Bez out.

hulkrogan
10-23-2014, 04:36 PM
So, we sold two of our bright young up and coming players in two positions we had little to no depth in, all to get the result of this shit season.

Laba
Henry

Gone.

Playoffs?

Nope.

Worst team in the world.

flamehawk
10-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Spin from official website ... still doesn't make much sense to me

Update on Doneil Henry
Doneil Henry was on the verge of fulfilling a lifelong dream.
A trial with English Premier League club West Ham went well last summer. The 21-year-old from Brampton was a few formalities away from playing professional soccer in Europe.
An offer from the Hammers didn’t come, but Henry didn’t relent. His hard work eventually paid off.
Shortly after Henry’s trial, Toronto FC was approached by a club from Cyprus. The club sat down with Henry and his agent, Courtney James, to discuss a potential deal. Henry opted to pursue his dream, and TFC agreed it was the best course of action.
“I think this is a win-win for the player and club,” said General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko.
Henry stayed with TFC on loan from the currently unnamed Cypriot club in 2014 and could do the same in 2015, depending on individual talks between Toronto management and the player.
Those talks are expected to occur next week, with a decision coming soon after.

Ossington Mental Youth
10-23-2014, 05:00 PM
id love to know whwat we did with the allocation.
hope it didnt go to Cesar

Yohan
10-23-2014, 05:02 PM
still don't get why this Cypriot club is still unnamed. why the secrecy?

andmat
10-23-2014, 05:30 PM
still don't get why this Cypriot club is still unnamed. why the secrecy?

The team is Apoel FC

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 06:49 PM
The team is Apoel FC

Rollins says AC Omonia.

molenshtain
10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
I've been a huge Bez fan until now, but if we spent that allocation on 7 games of Julio Cesar he should be fired. No question this is a fireable offence to me.

jloome
10-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I've been a huge Bez fan until now, but if we spent that allocation on 7 games of Julio Cesar he should be fired. No question this is a fireable offence to me.

LOL, this whole thing reeks of an EU passport backdoor scheme; it's Mo all over again.

Of course, they can't admit that, so we have the notion that Doneil Henry thought it a step up in his career to play professionally in Cyprus, which just happens to give out passports these days like candy.

Who do they think they're kidding?

ag futbol
10-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Armen Bedakian ‏@ArmenBedakian (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian) 2m2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ArmenBedakian/status/525341742405804032)
Nice to get an official quote, but these guys are not credible. They'll say anything.

OgtheDim
10-23-2014, 09:04 PM
We'll never know what the allocation was spent on. Could have easily been spent on Oduro, or dumping Ecks, or still have it.

molenshtain
10-23-2014, 09:10 PM
We'll never know what the allocation was spent on. Could have easily been spent on Oduro, or dumping Ecks, or still have it.

and that's part of the problem with this league; you can't hold GM's accountable for all their moves.

Areathrasher
10-24-2014, 06:01 AM
From the Defoe mommys boy article

Should the player be purchased, he will lose that opportunity, and the Reds will shop for an attacking midfield partner to play alongside Michael Bradley.
Brazilian striker Gilberto, the strike partner Defoe rarely seemed in sync with, will likely stay unless the Reds receive an outstanding offer.
The Reds believe they can get more out of Gilberto with the addition of a prominent attacking midfielder, a signing TFC simply must get right to avoid another mid-season circus.
When approached for comment regarding Defoe and another playoff-less season, the club’s front office — including MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke — said they plan to speak publicly following Saturday’s season-ender, a pending grilling you won’t want to miss.
\http://www.torontosun.com/2014/10/23/mother-at-the-centre-of-jermain-defoe-drama-sources

MartinUtd
10-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Incredible stuff. If true, he really does sound like an entitled headcase.

__wowza
10-24-2014, 09:45 AM
Rollins says AC Omonia.

The team is Apoel FC

i heard it was a FUT created by some kid in cyprus.

SirBobSaget
10-24-2014, 10:05 AM
LOL, this whole thing reeks of an EU passport backdoor scheme; it's Mo all over again.

Of course, they can't admit that, so we have the notion that Doneil Henry thought it a step up in his career to play professionally in Cyprus, which just happens to give out passports these days like candy.

Who do they think they're kidding?

I think you're right and this is a way into England. Henry will never play a game let alone train with his "team".

Canary10
10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
My understanding was that getting a work permit to play in England when you're from a Commonwealth country is easy. Why would it be necessary to do this?

Detroit_TFC
10-24-2014, 10:13 AM
Matteo Bonetti says that there are whispers of Ashley Cole going to Orlando City in January. That would likely rule out a Gilberto move, salary cap-wise, if true.

SirBobSaget
10-24-2014, 10:14 AM
My understanding was that getting a work permit to play in England when you're from a Commonwealth country is easy. Why would it be necessary to do this?

I think commonwealth only applies if a grandparent was born there. Canada's bad FiFA rank means wont be able to qualify though that stream any time soon.

barticusz
10-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Reading that Larsun article and thinking about our previous signings, I hope we never sign another English "star" again.

Please let us stick to talented players in the SA region. No more over priced English players.

Wull
10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
Reading that Larsun article and thinking about our previous signings, I hope we never sign another English "star" again.

Please let us stick to talented players in the SA region. No more over priced English players.

Right because no SA players have ever caused issues with their parents/agents/3rd party owners ........

MartinUtd
10-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Oh god not that meme again.

Oldtimer
10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
World football is so corrupt and sleazy.

OgtheDim
10-24-2014, 11:08 AM
The more I think about this, the more I believe this was orchestrated by whichever team wants Henry next season.

Don't be surprised if West Ham put this all together and demanded the secrecy.

Milanista
10-24-2014, 12:23 PM
TFC Fix the midfield and the defense, everything else will fall into place.

Fort York Redcoat
10-24-2014, 01:31 PM
Oh god not that meme again.

That was awesome. Can't stop giggling now...