PDA

View Full Version : VWC - you are welcome - Tim L are you listening?

Pookie
03-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Interesting looking at roster decisions and the impact on depth.

A brief history of trades involving Toronto and Vancouver and their impact on each side reveals the following.

2011 Vancouver trades Terry Dunfield to Toronto for allocation money and future considerations
2012 Vancouver trades Eric Hassli to Toronto for a 1st round draft pick (to be used in 2014). Pick became 3rd overall in the 2014 draft.
2013 Toronto trades its 4th overall selection in the 2013 MLS Superdraft to Vancouver for Allocation money and the 10th round pick. Eventually that pick was traded down too for more allocation money
2014 Toronto signs Michael Bradley and is then forced to loan (then trade) Laba to Vancouver for a yet to be disclosed asset(s), believed to be cash

Toronto took Welshman with the 2013 pick and waived him this year.

Vancouver selected Mennah (2012) and Christian Dean (2014) with the draft picks. Mennah his a big upside, Dean was just selected in Jan. Importantly both are generation Adidas players with no budget charge giving Vancouver maximum roster flexibility.

For those that are counting the opening day net effect of our dealings with Vancouver is as follows:

Vancouver
Laba
Mennah * Gen Adidas
Dean * Gen adidas
** and Carl Robinson because waggy said so

Toronto
Bradley
Future considerations

Vancouver, you are welcome.

Tim, you've stock piled a number of 1st round selections in the 2015 draft. DO NOT CONSIDER MOVING THEM. This is the only way this roster can acquire depth and domestic talent.

Waggy
03-09-2014, 09:55 AM
Don't forget their coach too. In my eyes, he's still a red. Always.

Pookie
03-09-2014, 09:57 AM
^ fixed

levyashin
03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
DID LABA LOOK GOOD OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!:hump:

Waggy
03-09-2014, 10:02 AM
g:D

I'm happy with Nelsen, and I like him a lot. But man I love Robbo. I hope Van know and appreciate how lucky they are to have him as part of their organization. God knows they don't deserve him

LFC8
03-09-2014, 10:30 AM
A shot at Leiweke? Without him this team is irrelevant for another season

Pookie
03-09-2014, 10:50 AM
A shot at Leiweke? Without him this team is irrelevant for another season

Who is taking a shot at Tim? His only hand in this is signing Bradley which made Laba expendable.

The message for Tim is don't repeat the mistakes of previous regimes.

FluSH
03-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Don't forget their coach too. In my eyes, he's still a red. Always.

Always a red.... His shirt should be hanging right besides Dichio's!

LFC8
03-09-2014, 10:59 AM
^^Oooh ok lol i thought you were taking a shot at him in the title

Super
03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
I think it's Tim Bez that needs to take notes on this more so than Tim Leiweke. I seriously doubt Leiweke is sitting in on meeting about draft picks and trades. He's a big moves kinda guy. Also, it's not like he doesn't have other items on his plate - such as the Raptors, Leafs, Marlies, other MLSE properties and investments.

PopePouri
03-09-2014, 11:14 AM
Christ, they won a game.

I remember at the start of last season that Vancouver will struggle because of their aging backline and they did. Nothing has changed. They haven't strengthened there at all other than at fullback so I foresee the same issues. Also, I want to see how they do against a team like Dallas that has a lot more pace in their attack.

TFC07
03-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Christ, they won a game.

I remember at the start of last season that Vancouver will struggle because of their aging backline and they did. Nothing has changed. They haven't strengthened there at all other than at fullback so I see foresee the same issues. I want to see how they do against a team like Dallas that has a lot more pace in their attack.

Agreed.

Also, let's wait and see how TFC performs before "we" start taking notes from Whitecaps and other teams.

ManUtd4ever
03-09-2014, 11:33 AM
The Caps looked good last night, but they started with a bang out of the gate the last two seasons as well. Just sayin'.

[NBF]
03-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Christ, they won a game.

I remember at the start of last season that Vancouver will struggle because of their aging backline and they did. Nothing has changed. They haven't strengthened there at all other than at fullback so I foresee the same issues. Also, I want to see how they do against a team like Dallas that has a lot more pace in their attack.

1. Andy O'Brien and DeMerit?

2. Johnny Leveron and Carlyle Mitchell?

Without DeMerit, they did struggle, but they were decent with Leveron and also with Mitchell. They also look better at midfield, it looks like they went and got midfielders that can score, rather than holding midfielders. They are better than last season.

Pookie
03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Man, some of you are defensive.

This isn't about whether Vancouver won last night. It's about the importance of keeping one's draft picks and building flexibility into the roster.

Which would give a team better depth and flexibility?

Bradley

OR

Laba
Mennah (Generation Adidas - no budget charge)
Dean (Generation Adidas - no budget charge)

Those scenarios are presented as Laba, Mennah and Dean were all available to TFC but as a result of decisions they went to Vancouver. Point is simply to encourage the current leadership to not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Vancouver could have lost 4-1 last night. They would still have the deeper and more flexible roster… one that we had but gave away.

PopePouri
03-09-2014, 12:07 PM
;1649659']1. Andy O'Brien and DeMerit?

Without DeMerit, they did struggle, but they were decent with Leveron and also with Mitchell. They also look better at midfield, it looks like they went and got midfielders that can score, rather than holding midfielders. They are better than last season.

No doubt but their backline hasn't had a good history of staying healthy even Leveron.

They certainly strengthened one major weakness at attacking mid but Camilo's offensive output last year compensated a lot. Big question marks on who can pot in 15-20 goals this season. Moralez looked good. Maybe him? I have my doubts about Miller and his health. Mattocks looks like hasn't progressed in terms of finishing chances. Like I said, lots of question marks.

Simple
03-09-2014, 12:10 PM
I like Vancouver. They have a really strong midfield with the addition of Laba. Good players, good coach, good people, I wish them nothing but success. I'd still take Bradley on paper.

MartinUtd
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
You can also add us trading Richard "Flappy Bird" Eckersley to New York and promptly conceding a penalty in Vancouver's favour.

I wonder if Laba knew by reputation that he'd be hand ball prone or if he drew the penalty by pure instinct.

PopePouri
03-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I like Vancouver. They have a really strong midfield with the addition of Laba. Good players, good coach, good people, I wish them nothing but success. I'd still take Bradley on paper.

By a mile. Looked incredible during preseason.

Simple
03-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I feel like he shot the ball at the net.

tfcleeds
03-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Carl Robinson should still be here in some capacity. Shame Mo's shenanigans was what drove him and many others away.

prizby
03-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Interesting looking at roster decisions and the impact on depth.

A brief history of trades involving Toronto and Vancouver and their impact on each side reveals the following.

2011 Vancouver trades Terry Dunfield to Toronto for allocation money and future considerations
2012 Vancouver trades Eric Hassli to Toronto for a 1st round draft pick (to be used in 2014). Pick became 3rd overall in the 2014 draft.
2013 Toronto trades its 4th overall selection in the 2013 MLS Superdraft to Vancouver for Allocation money and the 10th round pick. Eventually that pick was traded down too for more allocation money
2014 Toronto signs Michael Bradley and is then forced to loan (then trade) Laba to Vancouver for a yet to be disclosed asset(s), believed to be cash

Toronto took Welshman with the 2013 pick and waived him this year.

Vancouver selected Mennah (2012) and Christian Dean (2014) with the draft picks. Mennah his a big upside, Dean was just selected in Jan. Importantly both are generation Adidas players with no budget charge giving Vancouver maximum roster flexibility.

For those that are counting the opening day net effect of our dealings with Vancouver is as follows:

Vancouver
Laba
Mennah * Gen Adidas
Dean * Gen adidas
** and Carl Robinson because waggy said so

Toronto
Bradley
Future considerations

Vancouver, you are welcome.

Tim, you've stock piled a number of 1st round selections in the 2015 draft. DO NOT CONSIDER MOVING THEM. This is the only way this roster can acquire depth and domestic talent.

you forgot Nathan Sturgis for a 1st round pick

ag futbol
03-09-2014, 03:23 PM
;1649659']1. Andy O'Brien and DeMerit?

Christian Dean should probably also be somewhere on that list. Would hope the third overall pick should have some quality, although I hope not since we gave it to them.

Overall the situation doesn't look all that different from TFC. I would say Caldwell is probably the best of the lot but they aren't terrible by any means. It's basically Henry's inconsistent form vs. their players inconsistent health. Their depth vs. ours: Leveron has proven the most capable. One of my worst fears this year would be an injury at CB for TFC.

But overall, one game and they didn't look all that good in the preseason. So hopefully TFC has a similar pump-up come next week.

OgtheDim
03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
You know, why don't we just admit that everything done under Anselmi was cruddy. It keeps the blood pressure down. :)

Petke pretty much indicated in his post match that he got the tactics all wrong. Gave up too much midfield. Heck, Cahill was technically a striker and looked deeper then Bradley is towards the end of the second half.

Although I agree that VCWC have used their draft picks better then us, it all comes down to execution. I don't know how they will do against a team that can move the ball around the middle better and probe over the top. Their first test in that regard will probably be Houston. There next two are NE and Chivas.

ensco
03-09-2014, 04:46 PM
Those Vancouver deals would mostly not be on TFC's all time top 10 worst.

Except for Hassli. That may be the single all time worst.

prizby
03-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Those Vancouver deals would mostly not be on TFC's all time top 10 worst.

Except for Hassli. That may be the single all time worst.

worse than sam cronin for allocation?
or Richard Mulrooney for the pick that would be Brek Shea?

Shakes McQueen
03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Cronin for allocation was worse than Hassli, because it was essentially an unforced error. At least the Hassli trade was hastily put together because of Koev getting injured.

- Scott

ensco
03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Cronin for allocation was worse than Hassli, because it was essentially an unforced error. At least the Hassli trade was hastily put together because of Koev getting injured.

- Scott

Tough call. I say Hassli, by a whisker. We were a last place team trading futures for a short term fix. Hassli wasn't even playing. The stupidity of that was otherworldly.

The Preki cleanse of Cronin and Wynne are both in the top 5.

Cashcleaner
03-10-2014, 02:21 AM
The Caps looked good last night, but they started with a bang out of the gate the last two seasons as well. Just sayin'.

Vancouver seems to get a lot of pre-season practice in. This year was no different for them, either. They played 7 games against opponents of varying quality and while they're only 1 game into the season, you can't deny their performance against New York.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/schedule