PDA

View Full Version : Depth: how much of an issue is it?

ag futbol
03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Depth has received a lot of discussion lately and I thought it would be great to start a thread on it. To me, depth in MLS means having a couple of guys who can step into the starting 11 that can compete for spots and reduce wear-and-tear off first choice players. To get the ball rolling, I thought I would list TFC’s depth and compare it to the better MLS teams and our Canadian Rivals.
Tried to filter down the the best of my ability, but inevitably I’ve probably missed a few. Tried to limit to realistic options people would see off the bench.

RSL:
Fwd: Sandoval, Plata, Garcia
Mid: Velasquez, Mulholland
D: Mansally, Maund
LA
Fwd: Friend, Samuel, Zardes
Mid: Hudisic, Izhizaki
D: Meyer, Leonardo
Seattle
Fwd: Estrada, Bowen
Mid: Rose, Pereira, Neagle
D: Scott, Anibaba
Montreal
Fwd: Wenger
Mid: Mallace, Warner
D: Ouimette, Pearce

Vancouver
Fwd: Mattocks, Salgado
Mid: Koffie, Lewis, Ballouchy
D: Dean, Leveron
TFC:
FWD: Wiedeman, Dero
Mid: Hall, Bekker
Defense: Agboss, Bloom

Clearly some teams are deeper than others – Mtl looks particularly awful – but some teams have very legitimate depth. I worry what happens when we need an extra body in midfield or (as we see currently) up front. In TFC’s defense, they did plan on having Dike, but with that no longer an option it seems we are in desperate need of an upgrade.

notthesun
03-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Hagglund surpassed Boss in the depth chart after preseason?

As for our depth, we need another winger for sure. That would be the first thing I'd address. If Rey or Jackson are out it means shifting someone around - either DeRo or Osorio out wide, with Hall coming into the middle. I personally think Hall is acceptable CM depth (and strictly CM - he's a terrible fullback). Subbing out either winger presents similar issues. I won't say no to an extra forward but in my mind it's not a dire need just yet.

I define decent depth as any player who can come into the starting XI without hurting the team. Anything better than that is gravy. It's why I don't disagree with releasing Lambe despite it leaving us short on the wings - he would hurt us when he was on the pitch. Also why having Dike available off the bench would have been huge, really huge for this team. Damn shame he's out.

ag futbol
03-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Hagglund surpassed Boss in the depth chart after preseason?

Totally agree. Just forgot to add that!

Pookie
03-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I like this topic.

To me, depth has three components. It implies a standard within the starting 11 and implies a standard on the bench. Lastly, in MLS, is the budget flexible enough to allow either to bend or be changed if it isn't working.

Within the starting 11, TFC arguably has the biggest gap in skill from the top to the bottom. That exposes the team to tactics that can exploit weakness.

On the bench, reasonable depth compared to other teams but the difference for TFC is related to the above. A depth player on another roster is a starter here.

On the budget front this is where we are not at all flexible. The league provides no injury relief on the budget and a lot of budget tied in a few players, some with significant injuries in 2013.

Based on those variables, we have a long way to go to achieve depth within the roster.

[NBF]
03-09-2014, 11:08 AM
Its the exact same midfield as 2010-2013. I would say TFC had good depth with Laba and Bradley as the starters, but with just Bradley its not any different than the last 4 years. Essentially, its a single central midfielder doing all the work and everyone else just arriving late and failing to attack. How many times did TFC get scored on when our "DP" midfielder attacked the opposition leaving the other central midfielder exposed to a counter attack? Countless times.

1. DeGuzman(2010)/Frings(2011-12)/Laba(2013)/Bradley(2014)
2. Jackson
------------------------------------------------------------
3. Hall
4. Osorio
5. Bekker

nonc
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Lol at the league screwing us with three double weeks around World Cup, the only team to do so. Hall, Morgan, Weedman will probably get a good ride :facepalm: so of course depth is an issue. One of those doubles is Vancouver haha Morales, Fernandez, Laba, and Tiebert are going to kill us haha.

MartinUtd
03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
The good news is we have multi-positional players. If we sign Issey then Jackson can play in the middle, also if Caldwell goes down we could move Morrow into the middle if we're more comfortable with Morgan/Bloom/Richter at LB (I know the latter two normally play RB, but it's a viable option).

Also, I could see us playing a 4411 in the near term if one of our star strikers is out. The situation doesn't look good, but we do have effective means of patching the holes.

lanarkist
03-10-2014, 10:56 AM
The good news is we have mulch-positional players.

I agree - our midfield might lack depth, but I think it makes up for it in the multiple positions many of those guys can play. Dero can play AM, wing and up front if we need him to, and I would say the same for Osorio. Jackson can play either RB or RM/RW and in the middle if need be. It's not ideal, but I don't think it's the end of the world. The pain will be felt most by the absence of Bradley for a prolonged period if they make it through the group stage. If we are truly weak in one position its CM or CDM. We'll be pouring a few out for our boy Laba a lot during the WC break.

Ultra & Proud
03-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I'd still feel better if we could score another player to cover either the midfield or better yet, a viable (ie. non-Wiedeman) forward option off the bench.

lanarkist
03-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I'd still feel better if we could score another player to cover either the midfield or better yet, a viable (ie. non-Wiedeman) forward option off the bench.

Agreed - though to me, hopefully, the non-wiedeman option of the bench is Dero, but I'm guessing he logs mostly starter mid/wing minutes.

nonc
03-11-2014, 12:35 PM
The good news is we have multi-positional players. If we sign Issey then Jackson can play in the middle, also if Caldwell goes down we could move Morrow into the middle if we're more comfortable with Morgan/Bloom/Richter at LB (I know the latter two normally play RB, but it's a viable option).

Also, I could see us playing a 4411 in the near term if one of our star strikers is out. The situation doesn't look good, but we do have effective means of patching the holes.

I didn't think we were signing Issey? but I would like that. He'd need to take a paycut though because I believe he's been on $300,000-400,000 in Europe and Australia.

Ossington Mental Youth
03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Pretty sure someone said Issey was making only 60k in australia or something to that effect. Its not a particularly high paying league

ManUtd4ever
03-11-2014, 12:54 PM
The absence of Laba and Dike has weakened our depth considerably. We need help in several areas in case of injuries to any of our starters.

nonc
03-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Pretty sure someone said Issey was making only 60k in australia or something to that effect. Its not a particularly high paying league

He was definitely making a lot more than that. Average A-League salary is almost the same as MLS. The cap is a bit lower but their squads are smaller. He was also one of 4-5 visa players. Pretty confident he was getting at least a quarter mil.

C.Ronaldo
03-11-2014, 01:44 PM
He was definitely making a lot more than that. Average A-League salary is almost the same as MLS. The cap is a bit lower but their squads are smaller. He was also one of 4-5 visa players. Pretty confident he was getting at least a quarter mil.

plus ART money :)

how is it fair that some people are born with two talents.....wtf! Both of which must line him up with a fair amount of lady friends

ensco
03-11-2014, 01:46 PM
If depth matters as much as I think it does, Vancouver will win the MLS Cup this year going away.

That is by far the best bench in the league.

tfcleeds
03-11-2014, 01:53 PM
If depth matters as much as I think it does, Vancouver will win the MLS Cup this year going away. That is by far the best bench in the league. Not sure I'm ready to pronounce them as champions just yet. Yes, they played incredibly well, and their new signings look like definite keepers. But NYRB was horrible. What I'm most impressed with is Carl Robinson. In his post-game interview, he just seemed so self-assured, and he exhibits the type of confidence I've never noticed in Nelsen. Robbo seems to be the type of manager who's going to call a spade a spade. I notice Nelsen often appears sheepish, and tends to offer up excuses.

LFC8
03-11-2014, 01:54 PM
^^A strong bench is important but you have to have a strong starting 11 too like Seattle and Portland.