PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Beer Prices?

denMAR
03-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Anyone hear anything or are we looking at the typical 25¢/year rise?

Ultra & Proud
03-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Hopefully not but I'd like to see a better selection than a few dozen taps pouring swill and only three pouring imports.

BuSaPuNk
03-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Hopefully not but I'd like to see a better selection than a few dozen taps pouring swill and only three pouring imports.

Id love them too involve local brewries like Amsterdam, Cool Beer, Mill Street, Hogtown Brewers, ect.

More of a connection to the city and ability to really keep it Toronto centric.

Ivy
03-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Id love them too involve local brewries like Amsterdam, Cool Beer, Mill Street, Hogtown Brewers, ect.

Yup! And I LOVE some of the beer produced here.

james
03-06-2014, 11:51 PM

Yup I would love that, but we are sponsored by Budweiser aren't we? So they pretty much sale only beers by InBev don't we? minus maybe 1 or 2 other beers I think. That said InBev own hundreds of beers, even some good ones, I saw Leffe last year, and it's not bad. But still why can't we sale more good beers owned by InBev, or just say fuck'em and start selling some good local craft brews as well to represent Toronto!!! :drinking:

lanarkist
03-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Yup I would love that, but we are sponsored by Budweiser aren't we? So they pretty much sale only beers by InBev don't we? minus maybe 1 or 2 other beers I think. That said InBev own hundreds of beers, even some good ones, I saw Leffe last year, and it's not bad. But still why can't we sale more good beers owned by InBev, or just say fuck'em and start selling some good local craft brews as well to represent Toronto!!! :drinking:

Because Defoe. But seriously - the reality is financially the team couldn't possibly pass completely on the money Budweiser is willing to pay in sponsorships and access, the only ones that might be able to remotely compete in this city are Mill Street and Steamwhistle. And Bud is likely only going to shell over that cash if they know they have exclusivity. Personally I'll take Defoe over Mill Street every day of the week and 6 times on game day.

As far as I'm concerned, good beer can wait for Joe's or at home.

Mr_gamble
03-07-2014, 01:14 AM
I'd love to have some local brews at the game, but money talks. I hope the prices dont go up at all. Even 25 cents is too much. I feel like I have to work overtime the week before a TFC game just so I can sink a couple of beers at the game! Haha.

brad
03-07-2014, 07:53 AM

I have been to stadiums in the US that were heavily sponsored by Bud and they allowed for a tap or two of local craft beer. One place was ever "Budweiser Place" or "Budweiser Center" (or something like that). And the taps were definitely not on InBev's portfolio.

So you never know. The one thing about this though - the taps were from very small brewers, not the larger producers in the areas.

BuSaPuNk
03-07-2014, 08:02 AM
I agree the money from the sponsorship deal with Bud InBev is a good thing.

Wonder what the deal is though. If it's for exclusive rights to have there products I can't see them having any local brews. It would be good if the could atleast get one on board as a local sponsor though.

prizby
03-07-2014, 09:14 AM
I agree the money from the sponsorship deal with Bud InBev is a good thing.

Wonder what the deal is though. If it's for exclusive rights to have there products I can't see them having any local brews. It would be good if the could atleast get one on board as a local sponsor though.

you can bet it is exclusive

burlington Red
03-07-2014, 09:36 AM
They should put beer prices back to season one prices lol

WestStandGeoff
03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Anyone hear anything or are we looking at the typical 25¢/year rise?

I feel for the service staff with the 25¢ increases...

$9.50 beer? I'm spending $10. $9.75 beer? I'm still likely spending the same $10.

gdg_9
03-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Even with InBev, they could have a much better selection than just the Bud and Bud Light taps that are at most of the consessions.

Keiths, Becks, Lowenbrau, Rolling Rock, Shock Top, Stella, etc...

Plus expand Hoegaarden and Leffe beyond the one concession.

Red4ever
03-07-2014, 09:52 AM
I feel for the service staff with the 25¢ increases...

$9.50 beer? I'm spending $10. $9.75 beer? I'm still likely spending the same $10.

This was the case at skydome a few years back. They raised it by a quarter and cut the beer staffs tips in half.

As for this, when you're at a game beer is beer. Some local beer is good and some is terrible. Mill street I'll give you cause it's distinct but does anyone actually like the taste of Amsterdam blonde? I've only ever drank it for one reason: cause it's there.

jaahuuu
03-07-2014, 01:24 PM
when you're at a game beer is beer.

I'd rather drink powerade at the game and have a beer afterwards, then pay $10 for a can of Bud.

Red4ever
03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
I'd rather drink powerade at the game and have a beer afterwards, then pay $10 for a can of Bud.

Good thing there are plenty of places to walk to get it. Powerade too. But supply and demand says that most people will just grab a beer.

It's not like there isn't other beer in the stadium.

james
03-08-2014, 03:54 PM
This was the case at skydome a few years back. They raised it by a quarter and cut the beer staffs tips in half.

As for this, when you're at a game beer is beer. Some local beer is good and some is terrible. Mill street I'll give you cause it's distinct but does anyone actually like the taste of Amsterdam blonde? I've only ever drank it for one reason: cause it's there.

It is a lager with a bit of taste in it unlike Bud Light exc. But that said it still aint great, but Amsterdam sell many other good beers. But anyways, at a game you are right, its not a big deal, its more about the beer when you are at a pub or something then it does at a stadium.

james
03-08-2014, 03:57 PM
Because Defoe. But seriously - the reality is financially the team couldn't possibly pass completely on the money Budweiser is willing to pay in sponsorships and access, the only ones that might be able to remotely compete in this city are Mill Street and Steamwhistle. And Bud is likely only going to shell over that cash if they know they have exclusivity. Personally I'll take Defoe over Mill Street every day of the week and 6 times on game day.

As far as I'm concerned, good beer can wait for Joe's or at home.

I agree with that. And anyways since day 1 I always drank before games anyways, only difference over the years is I drank less and less at the actual stadium. Sometimes I will have 1, but no matter what beer they sell it is way over priced, not worth it, best for everyone is to just drink before the game.

Couchy81
03-08-2014, 04:13 PM
They need a craft beer booth. Only need one. Would fit nicely under the east stands, because the other sponsor beers can setup on either side to keep their presence noticed.

I noticed craft taps at MSG and Nassau Coliseum when I went to Leaf games there in 2008.

Red CB Toronto
03-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I tend to buy the large pop in the TFC cup with free refills and just use it for the rest of the season, I know a little cheesy but it works out well.

Abou Sky
03-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I tend to buy the large pop in the TFC cup with free refills and just use it for the rest of the season, I know a little cheesy but it works out well.

Why didn't I think of that?

BRILLIANT!

Cuppy
03-09-2014, 01:35 PM
That's Gold Jerry, GOLD

Petor
03-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Last season I couldn't find a decent cider, ended up drinking Stella.

On a side note, anyone hear anything about the food this year?

Heart of Stone
03-10-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't care how much beer is as long as the beer-guys don't bud in line getting on the streetcar after the game... how dare they!?!

Petor
03-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Was at the Raptor game last Wednesday, large draft in the ACC was over $15.

Ron Manager
03-14-2014, 08:33 AM
I haven't bought a beer at the game in the last 2 seasons and don't intend to start now. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on such low quality beer. Plenty of places nearby to get a great beer after the game at half the price.

stevielarson
03-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Last season I couldn't find a decent cider, ended up drinking Stella.

On a side note, anyone hear anything about the food this year?

Become a big cider fan recently. Never noticed if they had served anything at BMO in the past. What were the options?

tfcleeds
03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
^Pretty sure they used to have Strongbow - not sure what they have now.

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Alexander Keiths Cider

nascarguy
03-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Stella has a cider now

Carts
03-14-2014, 10:56 AM
My guess.... $14.25 large draught (Bud etc)... $10.25 tallboy Bud...

My other guess - I'll pay the price and drink the beer... lol :drinking:

OgtheDim
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
I'm more surprised they havn't talked about a change in the food menu. They've done that consistently for years.

Carts
03-14-2014, 11:05 AM
I'm more surprised they havn't talked about a change in the food menu. They've done that consistently for years.

True... Usually a big deal with tastings etc...

Maybe they're taking a year off from that? Keep the focus on all the players & hype of the team etc...

Or maybe it was a real success & they're keeping it...

Either way, I want to be able to actually go to these tasting one day g:D Stuff looks good!!!

Carts
03-14-2014, 12:18 PM
WATCH THIS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-FTyjjwBA

Red CB Toronto
03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
I really think people should not buy beer at BMO, drink at Joe's and then enjoy a great game.

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I am just praying that there are some other options on tap there besides the Bud beers, Stella, Hoegaarden, and Leffe. I know a pint of Rolling Rock would go down great in mid July when it's 110% ball sweatingly roasting down at BMO.

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2014, 01:18 PM
I really think people should not buy beer at BMO, drink at Joe's and then enjoy a great game.
I'd gladly do this but usually my schedule, and a lot of other people's don't allow for a lot of time to do stuff pre-match. That being said, if the beers are the same as last season then I'll be hard pressed to drink any more than the 8 beers I had all season last year.

Auzzy
03-14-2014, 01:26 PM
I am just praying that there are some other options on tap there besides the Bud beers, Stella, Hoegaarden, and Leffe. I know a pint of Rolling Rock would go down great in mid July when it's 110% ball sweatingly roasting down at BMO.

For me, a can of Steamwhistle was the best choice last season (if beer at all). They had that often (but not always) in the west stands. Other than that, isn't Hoegaarden a pretty decent beer?

Ultra & Proud
03-14-2014, 01:31 PM
For me, a can of Steamwhistle was the best choice last season (if beer at all). They had that often (but not always) in the west stands. Other than that, isn't Hoegaarden a pretty decent beer?

Only if you like white beers. I hated it. Didn't care for the ultra hoppy Leffe either. Stella is acceptable but never tastes right unless served in the goblet glass. Bud is absolute piss and needs no mention really. The best of a bad lot was probably that Bud Crown. I only had 2 at the end of the year but it was fair. Considering the brands InBev has and what InBev has available at even the Roger's Centre, I find BMO's lack of quality options frustrating to say the least. At worst, would it kill somebody to have Sapporo tins there? Or Rolling Rock? Not crazy stuff but things people actually may buy.

Carts
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM

Sorry... I gladly do all of them...

+ Beers at Joes... + Enjoying the game WITH beer at BMO... + Beers at Joes post-game...

I can't go along with your post...

:drinking:

Red CB Toronto
03-14-2014, 01:35 PM
I decided a long time ago I do not need beer to enjoy the game at BMO Field.

tfcleeds
03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Not having beer at BMO is a lot easier since they switched to Budweiser swill. I usually stick to one large Keith's (not great either, but it's not like we're spoiled for choice) and leave it at that.

Carts
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Neither do I - but I certainly like it... And will continue to do it, as I like it...

SilverSamurai
03-15-2014, 10:34 AM

Why didn't I think of that?

BRILLIANT!
+1!
Plus if they say anything when you bring it in, just say it's for water.
I might be wrong, but they can't legally say no to empty water bottles and such.

Neither do I - but I certainly like it... And will continue to do it, as I like it...
+1

I'm a wine drinker though, and the price for a cheap glass of wine would likely cost the same as the field side seats... :facepalm:

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2014, 10:40 AM
+1!
Plus if they say anything when you bring it in, just say it's for water.
I might be wrong, but they can't legally say no to empty water bottles and such.

+1

I'm a wine drinker though, and the price for a cheap glass of wine would likely cost the same as the field side seats... :facepalm:

They never have said anything about it when I brought it in, an empty plastic glass is a non-issue.

Also last year I had a glass bottle of BBQ sauce in my bad and they looked at it and said it was fine, so the issue is not people having things that can get thrown, it's all about the money.

Tony Santiago
03-15-2014, 11:03 AM

Why? I never miss any action getting my beers, usually one a half, and enjoy a beverage as I cheer the boys on. What's wrong with that?

Red CB Toronto
03-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Why? I never miss any action getting my beers, usually one a half, and enjoy a beverage as I cheer the boys on. What's wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that, I myself rarely buy beer at BMO Field, maybe a couple a season. That is all. my money can be spend better elsewhere.

Ryan1984
03-16-2014, 08:44 AM
maybe it will be easier to not drink beer at BMO now that they have decent footballers on the pitch to watch. That being said I will probably still enjoy my 2-4 beers per game at the stadium

Roca
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
With Budweiser having pulled out of FA Cup sponsorship and Carlsberg getting the Premier League deal, I wonder if Bud is reconsidering its marketing budget and thinking of dumping football? It would certainly be great news for beer drinkers at BMO Field!

denMAR
03-17-2014, 03:23 PM
With Budweiser having pulled out of FA Cup sponsorship and Carlsberg getting the Premier League deal, I wonder if Bud is reconsidering its marketing budget and thinking of dumping football? It would certainly be great news for beer drinkers at BMO Field!

That sounds like steps in the right direction.

james
03-18-2014, 11:06 PM

well I wonder if it has anything to do with not enough Brits drinking Bud (if you go into a pub, it is rare to ever see Bud on Tap. Your average pub would have some Ales Like London Pride, ESB, Green King, and Lagers like Stella, Heiniken, Kronenburg, Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters and stout like Guinness and in other pubs craft beers and small Real Ales are becoming a bit more popular) or if its just normal for beers to change hands every so many years as Carlsberg, Carling and Heineken have all been big sponsors for football in UK and Europe.

prizby
03-19-2014, 02:48 PM

I think they value being the choice of drink at sporting venues more over whether they make or lose money; tiny piece of the pie

brad
03-19-2014, 03:31 PM

I've needed beer to enjoy the games at BMO for the last two years...:o

tfcleeds
03-19-2014, 03:33 PM
Sometimes beer just didn't cut it the last few years - needed something a little stronger. ;)

brad
03-19-2014, 03:37 PM
They never have said anything about it when I brought it in, an empty plastic glass is a non-issue.

I always bring a reusable plastic water bottle in (empty) to fill at the water fountains so I don't have to pay silly prices for a bottle of water. Usually not a problem but I have had to check it on a couple of occasions.

Also last year I had a glass bottle of BBQ sauce in my bad and they looked at it and said it was fine, so the issue is not people having things that can get thrown, it's all about the money.

For sure. Reminds me of something that happened in the first year. I bought a bottle of water, they took the cap. I asked them why and they said so they could not be thrown on the field full. I then walked over the team store and bought two heavy glass TFC glasses, and had a bit of a laugh. What would cause more damage thrown from the stands - a plastic water bottle with a lid on it or a really heavy glass drinking glass....

brad
03-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Sometimes beer just didn't cut it the last few years - needed something a little stronger. ;)

lol - I was going to add the same thing to my initial post..Hillbilly moonshine would have been welcome some games...

brad
03-19-2014, 03:40 PM
well I wonder if it has anything to do with not enough Brits drinking Bud (if you go into a pub, it is rare to ever see Bud on Tap. Your average pub would have some Ales Like London Pride, ESB, Green King, and Lagers like Stella, Heiniken, Kronenburg, Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters and stout like Guinness and in other pubs craft beers and small Real Ales are becoming a bit more popular) or if its just normal for beers to change hands every so many years as Carlsberg, Carling and Heineken have all been big sponsors for football in UK and Europe.

I haven't been to the UK for a few years, but last time I was there Bud was all over the place, and a lot of my family drank it. That and Fosters seemed to be everywhere.

prizby
03-20-2014, 12:09 PM
$5 beers until kickoff according to the TFC twitter handle

lanarkist
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
$5 beers until kickoff according to the TFC twitter handle

Yup on the Bud patio (which is apparently heated) - and MITTENs lol

gmacpheetfc
03-20-2014, 12:12 PM
just saw this, should get people in their seats for Kick off

Red CB Toronto
03-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I will buy a few $5 beers on my way into the stadium.

james
03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I haven't been to the UK for a few years, but last time I was there Bud was all over the place, and a lot of my family drank it. That and Fosters seemed to be everywhere.

I Lived there for 2 years, came back about 1 and half years ago. I worked at 3 pubs, 1 of them being the biggest chain pub in the country (John Barris Pubs, Wetherspoons being the 2nd biggest pub chain in the country) lived in South West London, I went to a lot of pubs in that time. In my entire time there I only ever saw Budweiser on tap once, it was at a bowling ally. Other then that at the John Barris pub I worked at we sold it by the bottle, it was probably the least selling beer we had tho. I saw it a bit more at clubs, as seemed clubs in the area often sold bottle beer, that would often sell Stella, Corona and Bud. But overall it did not seem like a popular beer in London, or at least I never noticed much Bud.

Beer being sold at corner stores and grocery store to be drank at home, that could be a different story.

Roca
03-21-2014, 06:39 PM
I Lived there for 2 years, came back about 1 and half years ago. I worked at 3 pubs, 1 of them being the biggest chain pub in the country (John Barris Pubs, Wetherspoons being the 2nd biggest pub chain in the country) lived in South West London, I went to a lot of pubs in that time. In my entire time there I only ever saw Budweiser on tap once, it was at a bowling ally. Other then that at the John Barris pub I worked at we sold it by the bottle, it was probably the least selling beer we had tho. I saw it a bit more at clubs, as seemed clubs in the area often sold bottle beer, that would often sell Stella, Corona and Bud. But overall it did not seem like a popular beer in London, or at least I never noticed much Bud.

Beer being sold at corner stores and grocery store to be drank at home, that could be a different story.

When I went over a few years ago, Budweiser was just being introduced and you heard a lot of talk that people liked it. My buddy even said "It's better here than in the US." (This is in the northwest.) By the time of last year's FA Cup final, all those same people were calling it piss and refusing to drink it.

Even though Bud sponsored the FA Cup, there was a choice of draft beer at the stadium. I just hope we get the same treatment at BMO some day!

brad
03-21-2014, 07:00 PM
^^ I was out of London where I saw it. It was in a lot of pubs. It was better than the US variety - but still aweful.

Heart of Stone
03-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Like most of the beer in the mainstream bud is more like a "beer beverage"