PDA

View Full Version : MLS Power Rankings

notthesun
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/04/mls-power-rankings-which-team-leads-poll-season-opener

MLSsoccer.com has released the first edition of their power rankings for the upcoming season. Here's the full list, with last season's final edition placement in brackets:

1. Sporting Kansas City (1)
2. Portland Timbers (3)
3. L.A. Galaxy (5)
4. Real Salt Lake (2)
5. New York Red Bulls (4)
6. Seattle Sounders (8)
7. New England Revolution (7)
8. Houston Dynamo (6)
9. San Jose Earthquakes (10)
10. Vancouver Whitecaps (11)
11. Philadelphia Union (14)
12. Columbus Crew (15)
13. Chicago Fire (13)
14. Toronto FC (17)
15. FC Dallas (16)
16. Colorado Rapids (9)
17. D.C. United (19)
18. Chivas USA (18)
19. Montreal Impact (12)

smtavare
03-04-2014, 08:48 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/04/mls-power-rankings-which-team-leads-poll-season-opener

MLSsoccer.com has released the first edition of their power rankings for the upcoming season. Here's the full list, with last season's final edition placement in brackets:

2. Portland Timbers (3)
3. L.A. Galaxy (5)
4. Real Salt Lake (2)
6. Seattle Sounders (8)
8. Houston Dynamo (6)
12. Columbus Crew (15)
13. Chicago Fire (13)
14. Toronto FC (17)
15. FC Dallas (16)
16. Colorado Rapids (9)
17. D.C. United (19)
18. Chivas USA (18)
19. Montreal Impact (12)

Wow 16. Colorado Rapids (9) what a drop!!

Initial B
03-04-2014, 10:15 PM
They're smart to put both DCU and TFC low at the start of the year. It lowers expectations and shows they have a lot to prove.

TFCwestcan
03-04-2014, 10:17 PM
The extra time radio guys have pegged TFC to finish in the bottom three. Realism or incentive?

MightyDM
03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
The extra time radio guys have pegged TFC to finish in the bottom three. Realism or incentive?

Nonsense. Based on roster strength, I'd put us in the top ten.

Shakes McQueen
03-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Conservative guess, based on where we finished last season. I suspect their top four are probably pretty safe guesses too, but beyond that, who knows. They moved the Caps up a spot from their finish last season, which strikes me as daft. Plus, if they end up being right about TFC, they get to brag about what they saw that no one else did, all season.

But whatever - some teams will win and lose in week one, and then those rankings will all change. The Toronto Blue Jays were top five in a lot of power rankings going into last season, and then dropped like a rock from there.

Power rankings are popular, for the same reason BuzzFeed listicles are popular. They are fun conversation pieces, and can be useful to reflect the current form of teams, but not much beyond that.

- Scott

ensco
03-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Montreal dead last.

That is silly in my opinion.

Shakes McQueen
03-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Montreal dead last.

Agreed. There were one spot behind Vancouver last season, but now are nine spots worse? Give me a break.

- Scott

LFC8
03-04-2014, 11:07 PM
What it should be:

1. Toronto FC
2. Los Angeles Galaxy
3. Seattle Sounders
4. Montreal Impact
5. Portland Timbers
6. New York Red Bulls
7. Sporting Kansas City
8. Real Salt Lake
9. Vancouver Whitecaps
10. D.C. United
11. FC Dallas
12. Philadelphia Union
13. Houston Dynamo
14. Chivas USA
15. Colorado Rapids
16. San Jose Earthquakes
17. Columbus Crew
18. Chicago Fire
19. New England Revolution

Shakes McQueen
03-04-2014, 11:08 PM
What it should be:

1. Toronto FC
2. Los Angeles Galaxy
3. Seattle Sounders
4. Montreal Impact
5. Portland Timbers
6. New York Red Bulls
7. Sporting Kansas City
8. Real Salt Lake
9. Vancouver Whitecaps
10. D.C. United
11. FC Dallas
12. Philadelphia Union
13. Houston Dynamo
14. Chivas USA
15. Colorado Rapids
16. San Jose Earthquakes
17. Columbus Crew
18. Chicago Fire
19. New England Revolution

TFC are not going to finish in first place. You can mark that down. I win either way.

- Scott

LFC8
03-04-2014, 11:09 PM
^Wasn't saying the were, just saying what they should finish based on what i see on paper.

notthesun
03-04-2014, 11:20 PM
The top 6 is correct I think. I might change the order on a couple, but not the teams. And though it warms my heart, Montreal in last is too harsh. But I'd have them fairly low. Keep in mind, this is the power rankings to begin the season, meaning you have to consider the fact that Di Vaio is suspended for the opening 3 matches.

Houston, San Jose, and Vancouver are all higher than I'd have them. I don't see Houston making the playoffs this year. They might have the thinnest forward line in the league, I think their finishing is going to do them in.

prizby
03-04-2014, 11:59 PM
Montreal dead last.

they aren't going to score a goal from open play in the first 3 games

Pookie
03-05-2014, 12:14 AM
It's funny sometimes reading how strong people think we are on paper. The number of MLS fans that really know other rosters is probably really small. I'd say most in Toronto are TFC fans and rarely have the opportunity or interest in watching other MLS teams play if TFC isnt involved.

I mean do we really know how strong or weak other rosters are?

It's ok. Just makes comparing our team to others more of a challenge.

As for the rankings, I sort of expected TFC to be in the 10-12 place but as others have said here, there are many gaps and players like Bradley are only 1 player. There are 11 guys.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 01:19 AM
Vegas has us 5th at 10-1 odds. Sounds about right. Plus i don't think we'll see Cesar after the World Cup(back to QPR) and my faith in Bendik is quite minimal.

Cashcleaner
03-05-2014, 04:12 AM
It's funny sometimes reading how strong people think we are on paper. The number of MLS fans that really know other rosters is probably really small. I'd say most in Toronto are TFC fans and rarely have the opportunity or interest in watching other MLS teams play if TFC isnt involved.

I mean do we really know how strong or weak other rosters are?

It's ok. Just makes comparing our team to others more of a challenge.

As for the rankings, I sort of expected TFC to be in the 10-12 place but as others have said here, there are many gaps and players like Bradley are only 1 player. There are 11 guys.

I agree with you for the most part regarding the awareness of other MLS teams. I think myself and many others do try to keep up with what's happening in Vancouver and Montreal, though.

And in both instances I'm confident we are the stronger team. That said, I don't think Montreal should be at the bottom of these ranking. They had a marginally better preseason than Toronto and were able to at least play Philly to a shoot-out in their final Walt Disney tournament match.

Vancouver, on the other hand, has had a pretty good preseason with a record of 4-2-1 against teams of varying quality, recently beating San Jose 2-nil and playing Portland to a 1-1 draw. I think they're going to be coming into the regular season well-prepared and ready to go.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/preview-vancouver-whitecaps-1.html

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/preview-montreal-impact-1.html

tfcleeds
03-05-2014, 09:41 AM
It's funny sometimes reading how strong people think we are on paper. The number of MLS fans that really know other rosters is probably really small. I'd say most in Toronto are TFC fans and rarely have the opportunity or interest in watching other MLS teams play if TFC isnt involved. I mean do we really know how strong or weak other rosters are? It's ok. Just makes comparing our team to others more of a challenge. As for the rankings, I sort of expected TFC to be in the 10-12 place but as others have said here, there are many gaps and players like Bradley are only 1 player. There are 11 guys. Even with Bradley and Defoe, I still think our overall roster is not nearly as strong from top to bottom as most other teams in MLS. Bottom line, I think most other teams are better equipped in the case of injuries to key players than we are. We're pretty thin on the bench. However, our top choice XI (on paper anyway) is as good as any in the league.

OgtheDim
03-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Vegas has us 5th at 10-1 odds. Sounds about right. Plus i don't think we'll see Cesar after the World Cup(back to QPR) and my faith in Bendik is quite minimal.

Cesar has stated he's here for the season. His loyalty to Nelsen is quite strong.

ag futbol
03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Cesar has stated he's here for the season. His loyalty to Nelsen is quite strong.
Hardly seems like the way it's going to play out. He might formally be on loan for the whole MLS season - in line with his statement - but if he plays in Brazil and does well, he'll be gone for second half. Teams he'd play for are far less likely to be keeper shopping in the winter, with the exception of the brazilian squads which would mean less money.

Detroit_TFC
03-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Herb Scribner at Deseret News (Salt Lake) did his Supporters Shield list, had TFC at 6th of 19. I thought that was too high.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865597905/Who-will-win-the-Supporters-Shield-in-2014-DeseretNewscom-ranks-MLS-clubs-from-19-to-1.html

levyashin
03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Results over the 1st 5 games will tell who has problems and who does not.
Vancouver look just as strong as Toronto while Montreal look destined for a tough start.
Portland looks to be the team to beat.
Chivas could be the dark horse.
Here's hoping that we get off to at least a 2/2 split over the 1st 4 games.:scarf:

QBall
03-05-2014, 11:51 AM

2. Portland Timbers (3)
3. L.A. Galaxy (5)
4. Real Salt Lake (2)
6. Seattle Sounders (8)
8. Houston Dynamo (6)
12. Columbus Crew (15)
13. Chicago Fire (13)
14. Toronto FC (17)
15. FC Dallas (16)
16. Colorado Rapids (9)
17. D.C. United (19)
18. Chivas USA (18)
19. Montreal Impact (12)

But Tim Leiweke said we'd make the playoffs this year. I even wrote it down like he said!

LFC8
03-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Even with Bradley and Defoe, I still think our overall roster is not nearly as strong from top to bottom as most other teams in MLS. Bottom line, I think most other teams are better equipped in the case of injuries to key players than we are. We're pretty thin on the bench. However, our top choice XI (on paper anyway) is as good as any in the league.

The MLS has become very watered down though with all the expansion. I don't think there's one team in the league that has a bench to overcome injuries or players leaving for the World Cup.

ryan
03-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Montreal is too high on that list.

Ivy
03-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Have you seen Bendik play? Last year or preseason?

Initial B
03-05-2014, 12:40 PM
But Tim Leiweke said we'd make the playoffs this year. I even wrote it down like he said!
I think we all need to hold him accountable to that quote.

As for TFC's ranking, I'd put them around 10th-11th.

Yohan
03-05-2014, 12:42 PM
The MLS has become very watered down though with all the expansion. I don't think there's one team in the league that has a bench to overcome injuries or players leaving for the World Cup.

SKC, RSL, LA, Portland

LFC8
03-05-2014, 01:37 PM
SKC, RSL, LA, Portland

Other than Picquionne and Wallace for Portland, i don't see any key bench players. Maybe Samuel for LA but that would mean he's replacing Keane or Donovan.

Canary10
03-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Other than Picquionne and Wallace for Portland, i don't see any key bench players. Maybe Samuel for LA but that would mean he's replacing Keane or Donovan.

Portland is about 8 deep in the midfield. Weaker up front. Ok at the back.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Have you seen Bendik play? Last year or preseason?

Yes, am i missing something?

Ivy
03-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Yes, am i missing something?
If your faith in him is minimal, then yes, you're missing something.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Are you counting the wingers as midfield? That would make them 8 deep but i don't see alot down the middle for cover.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 02:04 PM
If your faith in him is minimal, then yes, you're missing something.

When we needed a big save from him last year....it never came. Our defense was terrible last year but when you give up that many late goals it shows that Bendik is not taking control of his area. He needs to be more decisive.

Ivy
03-05-2014, 02:10 PM
When we needed a big save from him last year....it never came. Our defense was terrible last year but when you give up that many late goals it shows that Bendik is not taking control of his area. He needs to be more decisive.
You make no sense - that was not TFC last year.
Youre talking more along the lines of TFC 2012 - when Bendik wasn't there.

they gave up very few late goals last year, with majority in the beginning of the season.
I can only think of 1 goal that was Bendik's mistake, and that is when he tried to cheat against the Oduro goal - that's it. Point me to another one if you can.

Finally, Bendik saved this team COUNTLESS times last year. I like Cesar, but I wouldn't care 1 bit if we had Bendik in net instead.

prizby
03-05-2014, 02:11 PM

i'd put them 7 deep

Nagbe
Valeri
Johnson
Chara
Wallace(injured)
Zakuani
Alhassan
and maybe I guess Fernandez

if that is what you meant by 8 deep, then I can see it a bit; they aren't too strong in the holding midfield spot though

Canary10
03-05-2014, 02:28 PM
i'd put them 7 deep

Nagbe
Valeri
Johnson
Chara
Wallace(injured)
Zakuani
Alhassan
and maybe I guess Fernandez

if that is what you meant by 8 deep, then I can see it a bit; they aren't too strong in the holding midfield spot though

Yeah. Zemanski isn't even that bad. Some of those guys are wingers though as LFC8 said. On the whole though, they have the most solid midfield. I'll take Johnson, Wallace, Valeri, Nagbe and Chara on any team.

QBall
03-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I think we all need to hold him accountable to that quote.

Who's going to do that though? The amount of media that report on TFC is tiny. Most bandwagon fans will have jumped ship by the time TFC is no longer in the playoff race. The number of diehard TFC fans is too small to really get Bell, Rogers or Tannenbaum to give a crap about the promises that the MLSE CEO made about one of their smaller assets, especially if the Raptors and Leafs make a decent run into the playoffs (and hence turning a larger profit for MLSE as a whole). I think TL made the statement knowing he'll never really be held accountable for it.
As for the rankings I think Chicago and Vancouver ranking ahead of us if a load of bull. While I congratulate the Whitecaps for signing Laba they have way more unknown variables than TFC.

notthesun
03-05-2014, 03:00 PM
When we needed a big save from him last year....it never came.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz70jbzBEEU

pdubs
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM

they gave up very few late goals last year, with majority in the beginning of the season.
I can only think of 1 goal that was Bendik's mistake, and that is when he tried to cheat against the Oduro goal - that's it. Point me to another one if you can.

Finally, Bendik saved this team COUNTLESS times last year. I like Cesar, but I wouldn't care 1 bit if we had Bendik in net instead.

agree completely with this. bendik kept us in games we had no business being in last year.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz70jbzBEEU

Go to 5:30....Bendik coughs it up in the 89th minute but the ref saves him by calling a foul when the player didn't even touch him.

OgtheDim
03-05-2014, 08:16 PM
A marginal call...and not denying the saves he made in that game.

notthesun
03-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Go to 5:30....Bendik coughs it up in the 89th minute but the ref saves him by calling a foul when the player didn't even touch him.

He recovered then McInerney kicked his hands to dislodge the ball, it's a foul all day. Regardless he saved our ass about 6 times that game, and that's just one game. Sorry but it's laughable that you claim he never came up with big saves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jgRGJlbGmg

Watch from 4:30 (first Montreal chance of the game). I could keep going all day, he did this more or less on a daily basis. Any keeper in the league could have only done so much with our defense last year, and he did more than enough.

LFC8
03-05-2014, 08:34 PM

http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2013/05/reds-late-goal-epidemic

Not blaming all these goals on him. But the la and colorado goals in particular.....if he was in the right position (Standing at the top of the box), he could've dealt with both crosses easily. He plays too deep in his box. He's a great shot stopper but other teams need to know that they can't just cross midfield and hoof one in the box. I don't have confidence in goalkeepers that don't take control of their area. There's also another 3 late goals from last season but this article is from May 10. I wouldn't count 9 (significant) late goals as very few.

ag futbol
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure why people would be questioning Bednik on shot stopping, he's been dependable in that department.

Distribution is his real downfall. If memory serves he was at the very bottom of the entire league in terms of pass completion percentage. Compare top to bottom in the league and the difference is around 20%, that's a big deal. Blame that on long ball if you will, but other teams use that game as well. If it's anything over 40 yards he might compete it one time in five.

TFCwestcan
03-06-2014, 12:18 AM
Ives has TFC at fourth in the east. According to him the biggest question mark - the coach.

ManUtd4ever
03-06-2014, 12:33 AM
As usual, Yves is bang on. Nelsen and our depth in case of injuries are the biggest question marks heading into the season. I think 4th-5th in the East is a realistic prognostication.

prizby
03-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Ives has TFC at fourth in the east. According to him the biggest question mark - the coach.

where is this?

TFCwestcan
03-06-2014, 09:00 AM
where is this?

yes, a source might be handy. He noted this in his in-depth look at the 2014 eastern conference predictions. It's a good listen, he also noted that it will be very tight this year.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/podcasts

T-boy
03-06-2014, 11:11 AM
All this talk of TFC "on paper" is insane!

I'm not sure how many of you are betting guys on here? Better is always done purely on paper stats, using team form, history etc. I used to play the pools in the UK where you bet on a number of teams having a result. I always used to bet on the games where "on paper" it was an "easy bet" - Man City to beat Fulham, Chelsea to beat Cardiff, Arsenal to beat Palace etc. each week I would end up getting 1 result out of 5 correct, sometimes not even 1, and those "on paper" easy games hardly ever resulted the way you think they will!

If real life sports results were always based "on paper" then the betting world would be full of rich winners, but it isn't. Looking at football teams "on paper" is a pointless task. Yes "on paper" TFC look strong...but reality will probably have a different outcome, as it usually does! So I take these power rankings with a giant pinch of salt.

notthesun
03-06-2014, 03:24 PM
SI Power rankings (http://soccer.si.com/2014/03/06/2014-mls-season-preview-power-rankings/)

ag futbol
03-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Have to say I'm a little surprised at the level of skepticism reflected in some of these power ranks. I've seen TFC seeded anywhere from 3rd all the way up to 14th.

I would be a little cautious, but suggest somewhere between 6-10 would be reasonable.

notthesun
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Who doesn't love more rankings?

Duane Rollins (http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?5277-Fearless-(and-likely-wrong)-MLS-predictions)

SoccerByIves (http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/preseason-power-rankings.html)

Both showing some faith in the TFC rebuild at 7th in each.

notthesun
03-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Could a mod please remove "Preseason" from the thread title?

Week 1 Power Rankings are up (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/11/mls-power-rankings-week-1-new-team-atop-poll-after-opening-weekend). Expect a lot of movement in the first few weeks before things settle down. Preseason rankings in brackets.

1. Real Salt Lake (4)
2. Sporting Kansas City (1)
3. Seattle Sounders (6)
4. Portland Timbers (2)
5. Houston Dynamo (8)
6. Vancouver Whitecaps (10)
7. L.A. Galaxy (3)
8. Columbus Crew (12)
9. New York Red Bulls (5)
10. Philadelphia Union (11)
11. San Jose Earthquakes (9)
12. FC Dallas (15)
13. New England Revolution (7)
14. Chivas USA (18)
15. Toronto FC (14)
16. Chicago Fire (13)
17. Colorado Rapids (16)
18. Montreal Impact (19)
19. D.C. United (17)

Batman
03-11-2014, 03:30 PM
So we didn't play last week... and we go down..
Meanwhile, NE loses 4-0
and NY loses 4-1 and both are still ranked ahead of TFC

:facepalm:

Carts
03-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Meanwhile, NE loses 4-0

They're American cities and got points for participation - just like the US Men's Olympic Hockey team! g:D

ag futbol
03-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Meanwhile, NE loses 4-0

I don't agree with the ranking, but I can understand how we theoretically can move lower despite not playing.

Edit: and yeah I being ranked below NE is a kick on the pants. We should be given some credit!

Yohan
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
I don't agree with the ranking, but I can understand how we theoretically can move lower despite not playing.

Edit: and yeah I being ranked below NE is a kick on the pants. We should be given some credit!
we should be given some credit for what? doing nothing so far? looking absolutely poor in pre season?

Batman
03-12-2014, 02:43 PM
we should be given some credit for what? doing nothing so far? looking absolutely poor in pre season?

we we're just is stealth mode.. giving everyone else a false sense of security.

notthesun
03-18-2014, 02:11 PM
Week 2 rankings. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/18/mls-power-rankings-week-2-no-denying-houston-dynamo-top-spot)

1. Houston Dynamo (5)
2. Real Salt Lake (1)
3. Sporting Kansas City (2)
4. Philadelphia Union (10)
5. Portland Timbers (4)
6. Seattle Sounders (3)
7. L.A. Galaxy (7)
8. Columbus Crew (8)
9. New York Red Bulls (9)
10. Vancouver Whitecaps (6)
11. Toronto FC (15)
12. San Jose Earthquakes (11)
13. FC Dallas (12)
14. Colorado Rapids (17)
15. Chivas USA (14)
16. Chicago Fire (16)
17. New England Revolution (13)
18. Montreal Impact (18)
19. D.C. United (19)

lanarkist
03-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Moving on uppppp

OgtheDim
03-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Hmm....Seattle ranking based on Dempsey scoring a goal. Gotta keep the hype going as LONG as possible. :rolleyes5:

MartinUtd
03-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how inconsistent their methodology is. Seattle spends big 6 months ago and do fuck all with it, get a high rating. Philly spends money, has a decent start and they're rated highly. TFC spends big, wins, but no, we better take past failures into account.

I know its only week two, but the preconceived notions are well on display and they're all over the fucking place.

Ron Manager
03-18-2014, 02:46 PM
These rankings should not be looked at in terms of where your team is at. The ONLY useful info to take from them is the change from one week to the next. We are on the rise but we've only won one game. We've done that before. Let's win a few before we get all excited.

RealG-TFC
03-18-2014, 02:50 PM
^^ Hopefully they'll recognize us as the real deal after we whip DC. g:D

Jeff s
03-18-2014, 02:57 PM
What MLS said before the opening week "We're not all aboard the bandwagon just yet. Michael Bradley still needs a partner in central midfield." Osorio ends up setting up a great pass for Defoe. That's one way to shut them up.

Waggy
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
I can't say I saw enough of other teams to pretend to know exactly where we should be ranked, however given that we went into Seattle and came away with full points, how exactly can we be so far behind them?

Dunkers
03-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how inconsistent their methodology is. Seattle spends big 6 months ago and do fuck all with it, get a high rating. Philly spends money, has a decent start and they're rated highly. TFC spends big, wins, but no, we better take past failures into account.

I know its only week two, but the preconceived notions are well on display and they're all over the fucking place.

Last yr TFC finished the power rankings in what? 17th? After 1 game we are up to 11th. All the analyists are saying is that Toronto has been here before, and the ranking reflects that Toronto has not fully turned a corner and thus dont have an unprecidented ranking, its only one game.

Seattle is ranked too high, they lost that game against Toronto moreso then Toronto won.

Philly has given up 1 goal over 2 games, and seem to have the tools to score goals, so shoring up the defence is a great sign, as the goals are sure to come. I dont have a problem with the second place team in the east being ranked 4th.

MartinUtd
03-18-2014, 03:08 PM
Last yr TFC finished the power rankings in what? 17th? After 1 game we are up to 11th. All the analyists are saying is that Toronto has been here before, and the ranking reflects that Toronto has not fully turned a corner and thus dont have an unprecidented ranking, its only one game.

Seattle is ranked too high, they lost that game against Toronto moreso then Toronto won.

Philly has given up 1 goal over 2 games, and seem to have the tools to score goals, so shoring up the defence is a great sign, as the goals are sure to come. I dont have a problem with the second place team in the east being ranked 4th.

All I'm saying is they're inconsistent with their assessment. Montreal and Seattle had very similar ends to 2013 and neither team made any large additions in the off-season. Yet Montreal starts in the basement but Seattle is up there with LA, KC and RSL. Basically it is all 100% bullshit dressed as analysis. That Doyle guy needs to work harder.

Initial B
03-18-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't put much stock in the Power Rankings until after week 4. After 1/10th of the season you have a somewhat acceptable sample size to work with.

Commie Red
03-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Here's another take: the best ranking systems require the selectors to put their money where their mouth is. Average betting odds now have TFC ranked 6th (tied with Houston and Real Salt Lake). Tellingly, TFC's odds are down this week to 12/1 from a high last week of 18/1 (year high was 20/1 in January).

Average betting odds for MLS Outright Winner in decimal format (from Odds Portal):

1) Los Angeles 7.00
2) Portland 9.00
2) New York 9.00
2) Kansas City 9.00
5) Seattle 11.00
6) Toronto 13.00
6) Houston 13.00
6) Real Salt Lake 13.00
9) Vancouver 18.00
9) San Jose 18.00
11) Dallas 36.00
11) Columbus 36.00
13) Colorado 41.00
14) New England 51.00
14) Chicago 51.00
16) Philadelphia 67.00
16) Chivas 67.00
18) Montreal 81.00
19) DC United 101.00

jloome
03-18-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2014/03/mls_power_rankings_week_2_dyna.html

Portland Oregonian's rankings are quite different from others, more like the oddsmakers'.

Commie Red
03-18-2014, 05:48 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2014/03/mls_power_rankings_week_2_dyna.html

Portland Oregonian's rankings are quite different from others, more like the oddsmakers'.

Wow, tough on the home team. They have Portland ranked much lower than the other ranking methods: 14th as opposed to 5th and tied for 2nd.

Dunkers
03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
All I'm saying is they're inconsistent with their assessment. Montreal and Seattle had very similar ends to 2013 and neither team made any large additions in the off-season. Yet Montreal starts in the basement but Seattle is up there with LA, KC and RSL. Basically it is all 100% bullshit dressed as analysis. That Doyle guy needs to work harder.

ummmm....pappa, marshal, cooper and Frie are in and rolases is off to chivas. Basically no change at all.....
http://www.soundersfc.com/news/articles/2014/03-march/lineups-vs-kansas-city.aspx

and Montreal was considered old last yr, and did nothing at all, and got a year older.

Detroit_TFC
03-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Power rankings are for entertainment purposes only. I'm a willing consumer but they really shouldn't be taken that seriously.

MartinUtd
03-19-2014, 09:34 AM
ummmm....pappa, marshal, cooper and Frie are in and rolases is off to chivas. Basically no change at all.....
http://www.soundersfc.com/news/articles/2014/03-march/lineups-vs-kansas-city.aspx

and Montreal was considered old last yr, and did nothing at all, and got a year older.

Frei remains unproven since his injury, he's at best a sideways step. Same for Cooper and EJ, Marshal/Hurtado and so what's left? Pappa, the guy who coughed up the second goal? I'd rather have Mauro Rosales. So yeah, no upgrades, just a game of musical chairs.

PopePouri
03-24-2014, 03:36 PM
That's right.

http://espnfc.com/powerrankings?league=USA.1&year=2014&week=4&cc=5901

Commie Red
03-24-2014, 03:45 PM
That's right.

Wow! We're number 1! Have we ever in our history been ranked by anyone at number one?

And the bookies like us too! After this weekend, the odds have us at number 2 at 7/1 (tied with LA) and just behind Kansas City at 6/1.

Detroit_TFC
03-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Post #74 is full of shit. Power Rankings are VERY IMPORTANT, especially when Jeff Carlisle ranks TFC #1.

g:D

Stryker
03-24-2014, 08:04 PM
Plata is RSL best player so far? What's we get for him again? A bag of balls?

Abou Sky
03-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Here's another take: the best ranking systems require the selectors to put their money where their mouth is. Average betting odds now have TFC ranked 6th (tied with Houston and Real Salt Lake). Tellingly, TFC's odds are down this week to 12/1 from a high last week of 18/1 (year high was 20/1 in January).

Average betting odds for MLS Outright Winner in decimal format (from Odds Portal):

1) Los Angeles 7.00
2) Portland 9.00
2) New York 9.00
2) Kansas City 9.00
5) Seattle 11.00
6) Toronto 13.00
6) Houston 13.00
6) Real Salt Lake 13.00
9) Vancouver 18.00
9) San Jose 18.00
11) Dallas 36.00
11) Columbus 36.00
13) Colorado 41.00
14) New England 51.00
14) Chicago 51.00
16) Philadelphia 67.00
16) Chivas 67.00
18) Montreal 81.00
19) DC United 101.00

Is that cup winner or supporters shield winner?

If the former, DC is probably worth a few bucks.

Commie Red
03-25-2014, 10:23 AM
Is that cup winner or supporters shield winner?

If the former, DC is probably worth a few bucks.

It is for cup winner. So, yeah, there's plenty of value to be had here particularly if you want to bet now and lay them off later. I'm not sure about D.C., but I think Chivas at 81.00 and Philadelphia at 67.00 and Columbus at 36.00 are great buys. If you got Toronto at 19.00 just as Defoe rumors became ripe, like I did, you could lay them off on an exchange now at approx 9.0 and be sitting pretty for the rest of the season with a guaranteed profit. Unfortunately, Betfair hasn't opened this market yet.

JuliquE
03-25-2014, 11:06 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/25/mls-power-rankings-week-3-texas-shuffle-has-fc-dallas-top

7th seems about right, to me; where I saw us being placed, actually, following our win.

PopePouri
03-25-2014, 11:10 AM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/03/25/mls-power-rankings-week-3-texas-shuffle-has-fc-dallas-top

7th seems about right, to me; where I saw us being placed, actually, following our win.

I like how Dallas jumps 12 places to no. 1 after beating Chivas as home.

Stress
03-25-2014, 12:08 PM

GuelphStorm2007
03-25-2014, 12:18 PM
I do not take too much stock in the Power Rankings to be honest All I want is TFC To get better each game make the playoffs win the CCL have decent run in both and get some respect from the North American and Canadian Soccer media and Sports Media

Jack
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
The only power ranking that really matters to me is the league table.

notthesun
03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
1. FC Dallas (12)
2. Houston Dynamo (1)
3. Sporting Kansas City (3)
4. Real Salt Lake (2)
5. Columbus Crew (8)
6. Seattle Sounders (6)
7. Toronto FC (11)
8. Philadelphia Union (4)
9. New York Red Bulls (9)
10. L.A. Galaxy (7)
11. Colorado Rapids (14)
12. Vancouver Whitecaps (10)
13. San Jose Earthquakes (12)
14. Portland Timbers (5)
15. Chicago Fire (16)
16. Chivas USA (15)
17. New England Revolution (17)
18. Montreal Impact (18)
19. D.C. United (19)

If we can win away to RSL this weekend I don't see how anyone could avoid having us in 1st by week 4.

Yohan
03-26-2014, 08:38 PM
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/03/power-rankings-week-20.html

Ives also ranks TFC at 1

I'm scared :out::out:

Shakes McQueen
03-26-2014, 08:46 PM

I like to keep a close eye on our weekly power level. It's real important.

POWERRRRRRR.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5lL1y9ELMFM/SmXPxz9zU3I/AAAAAAAAIQI/QUZBsJ29uYk/Jeremy%20Power%20Clarkson_thumb%5B8%5D.jpg

- Scott

Ivy
03-26-2014, 10:15 PM
This whole "TFC is a good team" is new and scary. Kind of like the first time a boy sees a lady's breastessess. Show me moreeee!!!

jloome
03-27-2014, 11:46 AM
TFC are not going to finish in first place. You can mark that down. I win either way.

- Scott

And Columbus are probably the best team in the league right now, maybe second to Houston.

LFC8
03-27-2014, 06:50 PM

Sometimes the best quotes are the simple ones.

WestStandGeoff
03-31-2014, 02:06 PM
And back to reality after the loss on the weekend.

http://espnfc.com/powerrankings?league=USA.1&year=2014&week=5&cc=5901

barticusz
03-31-2014, 03:22 PM
With Osorio out and likely Defoe... what are we expecting.. another 3-0 shellacking on Saturday? Higuain is going to have a great night.

CommradePolski
03-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Who else does Columbus have other then Higuain though?

PopePouri
03-31-2014, 03:49 PM

Trapp? Tchani? Merum? Parkhurst? Oduro?

Alonso
03-31-2014, 04:05 PM

Arrieta has his moments, and Anor hit a hot streak recently.

Whether either can be consistent this year is anyone's guess.

Abou Sky
03-31-2014, 05:14 PM
IMO Anor is the real deal, he was injured last year so took time to find his stride again

notthesun
04-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Week 4 from MLS: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/01/mls-power-rankings-week-5-fc-dallas-columbus-crew-battle-top-spot

1. FC Dallas (1)
2. Columbus Crew (5)
4. Real Salt Lake (4)
5. Houston Dynamo (2)
6. Vancouver Whitecaps (12)
7. Seattle Sounders (6)
8. Toronto FC (7)
9. L.A. Galaxy (10)
10. Philadelphia Union (8)
11. New York Red Bulls (9)
12. Colorado Rapids (11)
13. New England Revolution (17)
14. Chivas USA (16)
15. Portland Timbers (14)
16. San Jose Earthquakes (13)
17. Chicago Fire (15)
18. Montreal Impact (18)
19. D.C. United (19)

barticusz
04-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Fansided has us up at #2 after this weekend.

http://fansided.com/2014/04/07/2014-mls-power-rankings-week-5/2/#!C4Vtb

barticusz
04-07-2014, 12:05 PM
This is a better depiction if you ask me.

http://soccer.si.com/2014/04/07/mls-power-rankings-week-5-real-salt-lake-toronto-fc-dallas/

Top 10:
1. RSL - The team to beat so far, even on a bad night they still don't lose.
2. FCD - They were fortunate to win against the Dynamo. Houston had the run of play in the first but couldn't finish.. then.. the red card happened.
3. TFC - Huge bounce back game, away, against a rival who always beats us. Who are these guys!?
4. CLB - Bad turnovers cost them and an inability to play through the middle. Forced out wide and covered too well.
5. SKC - Consistency.. these guys always compete.

Canary10
04-07-2014, 12:30 PM
This is a better depiction if you ask me.

http://soccer.si.com/2014/04/07/mls-power-rankings-week-5-real-salt-lake-toronto-fc-dallas/

Top 10:
1. RSL - The team to beat so far, even on a bad night they still don't lose.
2. FCD - They were fortunate to win against the Dynamo. Houston had the run of play in the first but couldn't finish.. then.. the red card happened.
3. TFC - Huge bounce back game, away, against a rival who always beats us. Who are these guys!?
4. CLB - Bad turnovers cost them and an inability to play through the middle. Forced out wide and covered too well.
5. SKC - Consistency.. these guys always compete.

It doesn't have a link to the "7 Brazen Breastaurants in the US" story though. Or the "Top 10 Hottest Selfies of 2014."

MartinUtd
04-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Not surprised that SI has the pink cows at 12th while winless.

Commie Red
04-07-2014, 01:25 PM
And for the degenerate gamblers in the house, the bookies this week also have us ranked third at 15/2. Oddly, in my opinion, they have L.A. in first place at 13/2 (possible good lay here). RSL and Dallas seem to offer a bit of value at 10/1 and 14/1. Also, Columbus at 25/1 is an absolute steal.

In decimal odds:

Los Angeles 7.50
Kansas City 8.00
Toronto 8.50
Seattle 9.00
New York 10.00
Real Salt Lake 11.00s
Houston 13.00
Dallas 15.00
Portland 15.00
Vancouver 15.00
San Jose 23.00
Columbus 26.00
Colorado 36.00
New England 41.00
Chicago 51.00
Philadelphia 67.00
Montreal 67.00
Chivas 101.00
DC United 111.0

lanarkist
04-07-2014, 01:50 PM
It's ridiculous to think back to last season, to try and imagine that 4 games in to this season, we'd be ranked third in the power rankings, and that that would be arguably not high enough.

OgtheDim
04-07-2014, 02:51 PM
I think Toronto odds are being pumped low by betters buying into the hype. We should be higher. And RSL a lot lower.

notthesun
04-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Week 5 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/08/mls-power-rankings-week-6-toronto-fc-la-galaxy-move-latest-poll). MLSSoccer.com editors seem to have confused themselves, they mis-titled last weeks' rankings by a week, and did the same thing again. So it actually is Week 5, as Week 6 begins this weekend.

1. FC Dallas (1)
2. Real Salt Lake (4)
4. Columbus Crew (2)
5. Toronto FC (8)
6. L.A. Galaxy (9)
7. Seattle Sounders (7)
8. Houston Dynamo (5)
9. Colorado Rapids (12)
10. Vancouver Whitecaps (6)
11. Philadelphia Union (10)
12. New York Red Bulls (11)
13. Portland Timbers (15)
14. Chicago Fire (17)
15. Chivas USA (14)
16. New England Revolution (13)
17. San Jose Earthquakes (16)
18. D.C. United (19)
19. Montreal Impact (18)

Red4ever
04-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Just like there was no justification for putting us ahead of RSL in a previous poll, there is no justification for putting Columbus ahead of us.

notthesun
04-08-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure how Columbus stayed above us. We have the same record but with 1 more away game. Beating them in Columbus with a heavily weakened team you'd think would be impressive enough to push us up. But that comment on Columbus... they essentially chalk up the win to "haha MLS, oh you!".

Nice to see Montreal occupying the basement though.

MartinUtd
04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure how Columbus stayed above us. We have the same record but with 1 more away game. Beating them in Columbus with a heavily weakened team you'd think would be impressive enough to push us up. But that comment on Columbus... they essentially chalk up the win to "haha MLS, oh you!".

Nice to see Montreal occupying the basement though.

It's because Matt Doyle is full of shit and just writes whatever he feels like regardless of the reality. Like this for example:

4. Toronto FC didn't do anything special against Columbus ... except win. That 2-0 result for the Reds (http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-04-05-columbus-crew-vs-toronto-fc/recap) absolutely shocked me. And the fact that they got it despite letting the Crew play "their" game (by and large) made it doubly so. HERE (http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/all/modules/custom/mls_matchcenter/mls-gamematrix/index.php?omi=741401&seasonId=2014&competitionId=98&language=en&tag=1&reiter=g&efltblosd=JnBsYXllcnM9OTQ0NzkmZmlsdGVycz0xLDIsMyw0 LDUsNiw3LDgsOSwxMCwxMQ==) is Josh Williams' touch map from the game – he's overlapping all day, and TFC simply let him, and were happy to deal with it.
Nobody the Crew have played have managed to deal with that from either of the Columbus fullbacks. TFC, though, scrambled and played emergency defense like a bunch of champs.

So apparently while we have depth problems and lack composure, Columbus are certainly not a one trick pony with no plan b. To me, this just screams a lack of self-reflection.

OgtheDim
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM
mlssoccer got whacked by the inhabitants for overhyping TFC before the RSL game.

Ajax TFC
04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
The analysts are just doing everything they can to not be wrong. At the beginning of the season they were predicting that we wouldn't start off well becasue 1) it would take time for our new players to gel; 2) we apparently don't have anyone all that good outside our big new signings; 3) we'd be screwed if anyone got injured; and 4) our back line is no good because we didn't sign a new defender (despite our back line already being anchored by Caldwell).
Well so far they've been wrong in almost every way. So instead of saying that the reds have managed to answer doubts about chemistry, depth, and quality outside of the new signings, they say that we haven't actually answered those questions, we've just been extremely lucky. Lucky enough to beat two of the league's best teams and start 3-1. According to them, we haven't done anything what so ever to win any of the games. We just got lucky that Seattle made two defensive errors (though I'm not sure how that Oso to Defoe goal was a defensive error, but hey anything to deny that there was any kind of quality service); other teams won't make those kinds of mistakes. We also got lucky that DC made a defensive error and the ball happened to fall to Defoe. Apparently box scrambles are a rare thing that almost never happen, and it was a fluke that wont repeat itself again. Then against Columbus we were lucky that they were 3-0 and had to lose because "that's MLS".

I feel like Nelsen's brought a style in that these analysts have never seen before, and so they're completely baffled by how we could possibly be winning games. They think that there's a predetermined formula on how to win in this league, and since we don't follow it then we can't possibly actually deserve to win.

notthesun
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
Week 6 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/15/mls-power-rankings-week-7-three-way-run-top-spot-poll). I wonder if the editors are ever going to realize they skipped a week in their count.

1. Real Salt Lake (2)
2. FC Dallas (1)
4. Seattle Sounders (7)
5. Columbus Crew (4)
6. L.A. Galaxy (6)
7. Colorado Rapids (9)
8. Toronto FC (5)
9. Philadelphia Union (11)
10. Vancouver Whitecaps (10)
11. New England Revolution (16)
12. Houston Dynamo (8)
13. Chicago Fire (14)
14. Chivas USA (15)
15. D.C. United (18)
16. Portland Timbers (13)
17. New York Red Bulls (12)
18. San Jose Earthquakes (17)
19. Montreal Impact (19)

Kaz
04-15-2014, 02:48 PM
This is week 7.
TFC had a by in Week 1

So this is Week 7.

notthesun
04-15-2014, 03:44 PM
This is week 7.
TFC had a by in Week 1

So this is Week 7.

Week 7 is this week, therefore the rankings are for Week 6. You can see here (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/power-rankings) they accidentally skipped a week.

Kaz
04-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I think they actually made the mistake early on.. and just corrected it. The first Power Ranking for Week 1 was just listed as Power Ranking before the season openers. But either works.

nonc
04-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Kind of OT but I'm not surprised NYRB are winless. I think it's a miracle they won Supporter's Shield last year. Their roster is very mediocre to me. :noidea:

Eastend
04-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Impact are the new TFC? :)

SirBobSaget
04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
TFC has only faced one opponent outside of the "top 7"

Detroit_TFC
04-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Kind of OT but I'm not surprised NYRB are winless. I think it's a miracle they won Supporter's Shield last year. Their roster is very mediocre to me. :noidea:

That, plus there is non-stop drama in their FO. Not sure it is TFC-levels of drama but I wouldn't be surprised if it seeps over to the playing squad despite Petke's efforts.

notthesun
04-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Week 7. (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/04/22/mls-power-rankings-week-8-montreal-impact-still-struggling-find-their-form) TFC manages to maintain their current position. Starting to level out in general, a lot of teams not moving up or down.

1. Real Salt Lake (1)
2. FC Dallas (2)
4. Seattle Sounders (4)
5. L.A. Galaxy (6)
6. Columbus Crew (5)
7. Colorado Rapids (7)
8. Toronto FC (8)
9. Vancouver Whitecaps (10)
10. Philadelphia Union (9)
11. Houston Dynamo (12)
12. New England Revolution (11)
13. Chicago Fire (13)
14. New York Red Bulls (17)
15. D.C. United (15)
16. Chivas USA (14)
17. Portland Timbers (16)
18. San Jose Earthquakes (18)
19. Montreal Impact (19)

notthesun
05-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Jumping ahead to Week 11 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/19/mls-power-rankings-week-12-la-galaxy-tumble-after-latest-loss). TFC up a few spots after beating the Red Bulls.

1. Real Salt Lake (1)
2. New England Revolution (3)
3. Seattle Sounders (4)
4. Sporting Kansas City (2)
5. Vancouver Whitecaps (5)
6. New York Red Bulls (6)
7. D.C. United (9)
8. Houston Dynamo (11)
9. Toronto FC (13)
10. FC Dallas (8)
11. Columbus Crew (12)
12. Colorado Rapids (10)
13. L.A. Galaxy (7)
14. Chicago Fire (15)
15. Chivas USA (17)
16. San Jose Earthquakes (14)
17. Philadelphia Union (18)
18. Portland Timbers (16)
19. Montreal Impact (19)

notthesun
07-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Bumping this with Week 16 ranking (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/07/01/mls-power-rankings-week-16-seattle-sounders-still-top-houston-dynamo-hit-roc)s. MLS editors have us at 4th, highest of the season. Note this is from after the 2-2 draw against New York, and not including Wednesday's draw with Chicago. Week 15 in brackets.

1. Seattle Sounders (1)
2. Sporting Kansas City (4)
3. Real Salt Lake (2)
4. Toronto FC (6)
5. Vancouver Whitecaps (3)
6. D.C. United (5)
7. L.A. Galaxy (11)
8. Colorado Rapids (10)
9. New England Revolution (7)
10. Portland Timbers (9)
11. New York Red Bulls (8)
12. Philadelphia Union (15)
13. F.C. Dallas (13)
14. Columbus Crew (12)
15. Montreal Impact (17)
16. Chicago Fire (16)
17. San Jose Earthquakes (14)
18. Chivas USA (19)
19. Houston Dynamo (18)

Qman
07-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Week 17
TFC moves down to 6
For some reason Whitecaps move up to 4 after beating second-string Seattle team

1. Seattle Sounders (1)
2. Sporting Kansas City (2)
3. Real Salt Lake (3)
4. Vancouver Whitecaps (5)
5. D.C. United (6)
6. Toronto FC (4)
7. L.A. Galaxy (7)
8. Colorado Rapids (8)
9. Portland Timbers (10)
10. New England Revolution (9)
11. New York Red Bulls (11)
12. F.C. Dallas (13)
13. Philadelphia Union (12)
14. Columbus Crew (14)
15. Chivas (18)
16. Chicago Fire (16)
17. Montreal Impact (15)
19. Houston Dynamo (19)

Pookie
07-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Week 17
TFC moves down to 6
For some reason Whitecaps move up to 4 after beating second-string Seattle team

1. Seattle Sounders (1)
3. Real Salt Lake (3)
4. Vancouver Whitecaps (5)
5. D.C. United (6)
6. Toronto FC (4)
7. L.A. Galaxy (7)
8. Colorado Rapids (8)
9. Portland Timbers (10)
10. New England Revolution (9)
11. New York Red Bulls (11)
12. F.C. Dallas (13)
13. Philadelphia Union (12)
14. Columbus Crew (14)
15. Chivas (18)
16. Chicago Fire (16)
17. Montreal Impact (15)
19. Houston Dynamo (19)

You hate to say "must win" but with 2 games coming up with Houston, I'd probably call them critical.

TFC have 4 games in hand on Houston and sit 3 points above them. 6 points directly taken from Houston would seemingly put them out of the catching TFC for a playoff spot conversation.

Shakes McQueen
07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
You hate to say "must win" but with 2 games coming up with Houston, I'd probably call them critical.

TFC have 4 games in hand on Houston and sit 3 points above them. 6 points directly taken from Houston would seemingly put them out of the catching TFC for a playoff spot conversation.

I'd say 4 points is probably critical, 6 points would be great. Anything less could be terrible for us.

Abou Sky
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Really, if we were to get even 4 points in the next four games that would be fine.

Soccer is streaky and 3 points for a win means a small streak can rocket you forward a few spots in a very short period of time.

notthesun
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Week 18 (http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/07/14/mls-power-rankings-week-18-new-england-revolution-take-huge-fall) and we've been bumped right back up to 4th. Also Houston is fulfilling my pre-season expectations that they would struggle, although I expected it to be because of their lack of goalscorers. Not that they have a great offense or anything, but their defense has been absolutely horrid at a league-worst 38 goals allowed in 19 games.

1. Seattle Sounders (1)
3. D.C. United (5)
4. Toronto FC (6)
5. Real Salt Lake (3)
6. L.A. Galaxy (7)
7. Vancouver Whitecaps (4)
8. Colorado Rapids (8)
9. New York Red Bulls (11)
10. FC Dallas (12)
11. Chivas USA (15)
12. Portland Timbers (9)
13. Philadelphia Union (13)
14. Chicago Fire (15)
15. New England Revolution (10)
16. Columbus Crew (14)
17. Montreal Impact (17)
18. San Jose Earthquakes (18)
19. Houston Dynamo (19)

PopePouri
07-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Vancouver down to 7 and leaking goals like anything. It's what happens when your two starting defenders are 35 year olds.

Canary10
07-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Even though the power rankings are really just a few peoples' opinions and mean very little, I really can't believe we're sitting at fourth.

Alonso
07-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Even though the power rankings are really just a few peoples' opinions and mean very little, I really can't believe we're sitting at fourth.

And I can't believe DC are one spot ahead of us!

The two bottom dwellers from last year have turned the table.

Joe Kool
09-30-2014, 02:25 PM
So I get a kick out of reading the Power Rankings sometimes...just to see what they say. Reading the comments about Portland's last ranking in week 29 "Gave up multiple goals for the third time in the last four, and once again did so against one of the league's feeblest attacks." Is that still how TFC are perceived? Feeble attack? Maybe in other years but I wouldn't say that this year. Not saying we are the strongest by a long shot but I think to use the word "feeble" is not right. Good thing it is just someone's opinion.

dupont
09-30-2014, 04:54 PM
So I get a kick out of reading the Power Rankings sometimes...just to see what they say. Reading the comments about Portland's last ranking in week 29 "Gave up multiple goals for the third time in the last four, and once again did so against one of the league's feeblest attacks." Is that still how TFC are perceived? Feeble attack? Maybe in other years but I wouldn't say that this year. Not saying we are the strongest by a long shot but I think to use the word "feeble" is not right. Good thing it is just someone's opinion.

TFC is 12th in the league in goals for out of 19 teams. Not of the best but not feeble either. I actually think TFC looks like they can score at any random time.