PDA

View Full Version : Will Defoe become our all time top scorer?

Stryker
02-22-2014, 08:07 PM
Given the circumstances such as his four year deal, age, adjusting to league, chance of injury and that DeRo will be adding to his tally, do you think Defoe will be our all time top goal scorer when his time here is done?
DeRo is currently on 32 goals for the Reds in all competitions.

Alonso
02-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Given the circumstances such as his four year deal, age, adjusting to league, chance of injury and that DeRo will be adding to his tally, do you think Defoe will be our all time top goal scorer when his time here is done?

If he puts up Rob Keane numbers like I suspect he will, then yes, he should finish as our top scorer IMO.

Somewhere in the 60 goal range.

I'm not going to consider injuries, because fuck them.

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2014, 08:17 PM
As long as he's here for at least a couple of years (as he should be), I think it's a virtual guarantee. He'll be surrounded by quality no other goal scorer in our history has ever had, too.

Defoe would have to be a washout of epic proportions, for this to not happen.

- Scott

Ivy
02-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Is like to believe that Defoe can score more than 32 goals in 4 years.

jloome
02-23-2014, 12:14 AM
Is like to believe that Defoe can score more than 32 goals in 4 years.

His skill level and pedigree (plus his style) should be more like 15-20 per season.

speckles
02-23-2014, 12:27 AM
yeah and if this team starts to gel and avoids wider injuries

Cashcleaner
02-23-2014, 03:47 AM
It's certainly not a stretch to assume Defoe is going to be our most prolific goal-scorer this season, but just how many he'll bag is a hard prediction to make. I want to say he'll end the 2014 regular season sitting on 18 goals. With a 34 match season, that comes out to about 1 goal every two games.

themodelcitizen
02-23-2014, 05:18 AM
If he does well, he'll play for England, and not to mention injuries... it's possible he gets something like 12-15 in his first season, 10 after that, then maybe 5... nothing's guaranteed. I'd say it's likely, mind you

prizby
02-23-2014, 10:21 AM
gilberto?

QBall
02-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Potentially yes, although it's hard to say what he'll do in his first season considering he'll be gone for a bunch of games assuming he gets called up to England's World Cup team.

Mr_gamble
02-24-2014, 04:48 PM
It all depends on how long it takes him to adapt to the team/league. He has the potential, there is no doubt about it. And if Gilberto sticks round for the long term, hes what, 7 years Defoes junior? Another potential guy there. We have some very good forwards on the team now. Really excited to see how they take off!

Yohan
02-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Potentially yes, although it's hard to say what he'll do in his first season considering he'll be gone for a bunch of games assuming he gets called up to England's World Cup team.
anyone who gets called up to WC leaves TFC on 18 May, one week of rest, then joins national team camp. with no games scheduled for group stage, min 3 games missed.

glaze
02-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Well, DeRo is sure to add to his total this season. What could have been......

Initial B
02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
I think Defoe will suffer a bit of MLS culture shock when he gets here. I'm expecting he and Gilberto won't score more than 10-12 goals each this first season, which is still a 200% improvement over last year. The extra goals we need to win will have to come from the rest of the team - DeRo, Osario, Weideman, etc.

TFC07
02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
No, I believe he isn't going to play too many games. He will play regular season games (except for games played on field turf and when we have couple of games in same week ) and bigger games in CCL (assuming we win V-Cup).

I think DeRo (current TFC all-time goal scorer) might add more goals to increase record.

Canary10
02-25-2014, 01:21 PM
No, I believe he isn't going to play too many games. He will play regular season games (except for games played on field turf and when we have couple of games in same week ) and bigger games in CCL (assuming we win V-Cup).

I think DeRo (current TFC all-time goal scorer) might add more goals to increase record.

Seriously? You don't spend that kind of money to have him play half the games.

What was Nelsen saying about DeRo getting very limited minutes this year? It sounds like he's the one they aren't planning on playing very much.

Pint
02-25-2014, 01:26 PM
If Defoe and/or Gilberto are not challenging for the all time goals scored record at TFC in 2 or 3 years then they will not have lived up to expectations.

It doesn't take prolific numbers to be challenging for that title

TFC07
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
Seriously? You don't spend that kind of money to have him play half the games.

What was Nelsen saying about DeRo getting very limited minutes this year? It sounds like he's the one they aren't planning on playing very much.

But you don't take risks as well with money you have tied up with some of these players. I would be shocked if Defoe plays any games on fieldturf and games that team has short period of time to rest. Of course amount of travelling we do here might play a role on guys like Defoe how many games they would play.

As for DeRo, if he can score 5 goals this season and next season (assuming he comes back), then that's 40 goals right there he has scored for TFC.

Yohan
02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
But you don't take risks as well with money you have tied up with some of these players. I would be shocked if Defoe plays any games on fieldturf and games that team has short period of time to rest. Of course amount of travelling we do here might play a role on guys like Defoe how many games they would play.

As for DeRo, if he can score 5 goals this season and next season (assuming he comes back), then that's 40 goals right there he has scored for TFC.
Defoe, Gilberto and Bradley will play as much games as they can. TFC can't afford to sit them.

Initial B
02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Defoe, Gilberto and Bradley will play as much games as they can. TFC can't afford to sit them.
And TFC can't afford to have them blow out their legs on artificial turf. So Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and New England away games are out. That's not too many games, is it?

Yohan
02-25-2014, 02:40 PM
And TFC can't afford to have them blow out their legs on artificial turf. So Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and New England away games are out. That's not too many games, is it?
I'd be very shocked if Defoe and Bradley doesn't play vs Seattle, barring injury. Esp with the game now on national TV

ag futbol
02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd be very shocked if Defoe and Bradley doesn't play vs Seattle, barring injury. Esp with the game now on national TV
Yeah if the NBA can come down on Greg Popovic for resting his star players against Miami on a Thurssday nighter TFC better believe the league will breathe fire if they hold their stars out of a showcase game due to turf.

Canary10
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

On the DeRo thing, Nelsen seemed kind of cryptic in the interview following the Orlando game (if I remember right). Seemed to be suggesting DeRo isn't going to get a lot of playing time. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on that?

TFC07
02-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah if the NBA can come down on Greg Popovic for resting his star players against Miami on a Thurssday nighter TFC better believe the league will breathe fire if they hold their stars out of a showcase game due to turf.

The difference is fielding condition. If MLS wants teams not to rest their star players because field turf, then make grass mandatory throughout the league. You don't invest in millions and risk getting injured because turf. We don't want another Danny K situation here.

EDIT: Beckham and Henry both avoid field turf as much as possible. I didn't see MLS fining teams and players for that.

TFC07
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
On the DeRo thing, Nelsen seemed kind of cryptic in the interview following the Orlando game (if I remember right). Seemed to be suggesting DeRo isn't going to get a lot of playing time. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything on that?

MLS season is long and plus you add non-MLS games (like V-cup and hopefully CCL), then DeRo will have a chance to play good amount of games this season.

Richard
02-25-2014, 03:17 PM

That was such a ridiculous fine. The coach/manager should be able to do whatever the fuck they want, they always keep the best interests of the players in mind. Fuck that league interference shit, TFC should litigate the league if they fine them. Its not TFC's fault MLS still accepts turf.