Bright Dike@bbright19·1 hr
Worst day of my life

https://twitter.com/bbright19
---------------------------------

This cannot be good.

B

reggie
02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
saw that..hope its not a injury,with the lack of info coming out of camp we may never know..

flatpicker
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
God, I hope he just forgot his mother's birthday or some such thing.

Joe Kool
02-17-2014, 02:49 PM
I remember when Attakora was having some bad days...

ArmenJBX
02-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Torn Achilles as per Ives.

Bluenose13
02-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Torn Achilles as per Ives.
http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/02/17/4627282/sources-toronto-fcs-bright-dike-suffers-another-torn-achilles-to-?ICID=HP_BN_1

tfcleeds
02-17-2014, 05:17 PM
I guess that's his Nigeria WC dream over too. Man, that sucks.

Mr_gamble
02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Poor guy. He was looking good for a WC call up too. I feel for him :(

Super
02-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Brutal

jloome
02-17-2014, 05:22 PM
This sucks. A repeat of the injury he had before, too, which means there's always that risk he's done.

TFC07
02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
I guess this means we need new backup forward? Also this means Dike is gone by next year for us.

Areathrasher
02-17-2014, 05:49 PM
Man, this sucks. Dudes gotta be heartbroken. Hope he can make it back.

Frings22
02-17-2014, 06:03 PM
According to goal.com, Bright Dike suffered a torn achilles in training. Thoughts?

(http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/02/17/4627282/sources-toronto-fcs-bright-dike-suffers-another-torn-achilles-to-?ICID=HP_BN_1)

razor787
02-17-2014, 06:04 PM
Well shit...

flatpicker
02-17-2014, 06:19 PM
So sad. Really feel for the guy.

mowe
02-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Terrible news. I can only imagine how he's feeling right now.

Like Ives wrote, 2014 was shaping up to be a great year for him, getting his career back on track plus a decent chance at the World Cup squad too. Who knows if he'll ever be back to 100% again.

MartinUtd
02-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Everything's comin up Weedman!

But seriously this is horrible news. I was looking forward to what Dike could bring to the table plus it's doubly tragic given his world cup aspirations.

Alonso
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
God damn!

I guess that's why you build depth on a team.

So disappointing.

I was certain that this was his year, now it might be the end of his career Kara Lang style.

BBLaw
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, especially knowing our luck. :facepalm:

Detroit_TFC
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Terrible development for Dike. Losing the season and the World Cup, I can't even imagine how that is.

I'd be inclined to bring Earnshaw back in. I just don't know how much we can offer him.

Pookie
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM
According to goal.com, Bright Dike suffered a torn achilles in training. Thoughts?

(http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4175/major-league-soccer/2014/02/17/4627282/sources-toronto-fcs-bright-dike-suffers-another-torn-achilles-to-?ICID=HP_BN_1)

Sucks for him. Too bad really as he had a shot at World Cup too

On a personal note, hoping he is on a guaranteed contract. At 27, he should be.

Downside for TFC, no budget relief for injured players.

Bad news all the way around

Alonso
02-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Terrible development for Dike. Losing the season and the World Cup, I can't even imagine how that is.

I'd be inclined to bring Earnshaw back in. I just don't know how much we can offer him.

Agreed.

We probably should have kept him, but now it looks like we need him.

razor787
02-17-2014, 07:10 PM
Super low salary cap, and can't even get compensation for injured players. Absolutely retarded rule.

Only way around it i can see would be to ask Dike to retire, then hire him on as a scout for the same wage. If he recovers, then he can come out of retirement. But if it is the same injury to the same leg, it's possible he might stay in retirement.

Dunkers
02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Sucks for him. Too bad really as he had a shot at World Cup too

On a personal note, hoping he is on a guaranteed contract. At 27, he should be.

Downside for TFC, no budget relief for injured players.

Bad news all the way around

Out for the season with no salary cap releif? Find that tough to understand?

Richard
02-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Yup. I thinks its only 65k so its not bad compared to having Koevs out with a DP cap hit.

Pookie
02-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Out for the season with no salary cap releif? Find that tough to understand?

I keep telling you guys that the MLS "Salary Cap" is not a "Salary Cap"... it's an assigned budget. Once we grasp this, the nuances actually make sense.

Cap vs Budget is an important difference as teams get assigned a budget and pick players, that MLS signs and pays, and that amount comes off this team by team budget. Just like a fantasy pool.

Dike, on a guaranteed contract, gets paid by the league and since TFC "owns" him, his salary gets counted against their assigned budget.

The MLS Roster Rules are very clear:

K) SEASON-ENDING INJURY REPLACEMENTS (Season Ending Injury List)
A team with a player lost to a season-ending injury can place the player on the Season Ending Injury List and replace that player on its roster, while remaining responsible for the full amount of the injured player’s salary. A player can be placed on the season-ending injury list once another player has been signed as a replacement (provided the team has budget space).

DPs are treated the same. Which is why having a lot of money tied up in 4 players (with 2 in their 30's... Defoe and DeRo) is a big gamble but I digress.

If the team has budget space, they should be able to squeeze a replacement in for Dike as he didn't earn that much. If they are up against it, well, that's the downside of the offseason strategy.

Yohan
02-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Super low salary cap, and can't even get compensation for injured players. Absolutely retarded rule.

Only way around it i can see would be to ask Dike to retire, then hire him on as a scout for the same wage. If he recovers, then he can come out of retirement. But if it is the same injury to the same leg, it's possible he might stay in retirement.
it's to prevent teams from claiming that a player is 'injured' to get cap hit relief

fiji_blue
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Truly bad news, feel bad for him as he had a shot at World Cup!

TFC1154ever
02-17-2014, 07:34 PM
I can see us going out and getting someone on loan to replace him for the year

BuSaPuNk
02-17-2014, 07:40 PM
it's to prevent teams from claiming that a player is 'injured' to get cap hit relief

Couldn't that easily be solved by having a doctor go over the player and say there medical unfit to play? It happens in the NHL. Can't see how it can't happen here?

speckles
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
When is the roster set for the rules, are we still pre-roster compliance given when this injury occured....

prizby
02-17-2014, 07:55 PM
i don't get the fascinating with re-signing robert earnshaw; we have 3 guys like him + he takes a valuable international roster spot...wiedeman, defoe, and gilberto; all sub 6 foot guys; none known for being a bruiser/capable of holding the ball up etc...

might be an assumption, but i can guess what tfc might be looking for, for laba loan/trade wise

DPs are treated the same. Which is why having a lot of money tied up in 4 players (with 2 in their 30's... Defoe and DeRo) is a big gamble but I digress.

If the team has budget space, they should be able to squeeze a replacement in for Dike as he didn't earn that much. If they are up against it, well, that's the downside of the offseason strategy.

we have more money tied up in jackson, morrow, rey then what is being speculated that dero gets

adam1001
02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
He has now torn his Achilles, ACL, and now Achilles again all in February preseason training camps. Crazy.

ManUtd4ever
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Sigh. Dike can't seem to catch a break.

ManUtd4ever
02-17-2014, 08:29 PM
And yes, it's absolutely ridiculous that teams don't get cap relief for players with long term injuries.

T-boy
02-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Bad bad news for the player and the team for this season. Depth is going to be key this season, not just our big signing players. Dike was going to have a big season, he's going to be very tough to replace at his wage, very tough.

ensco
02-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Oh man. I am truly upset for the guy. If true, this is career threatening.

Sports is a cruel business.

Couchy81
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Brutal. Too bad.

Auzzy
02-17-2014, 09:38 PM
So sorry for Bright. Nice supportive words from the Portland owner, but who knows how well he can come back from this.

As speckles said -- does it make any difference for the cap hit that this happened in pre-season, before the roster compliance date?

69Chevy396
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM

Please no, we have seen enough of Earnshaw. Too bad for Dike, he is done.

sashavukelich
02-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Thought some of you would like this: It's from my Up-to-Date account (i'm an RN) regarding Achilles Rupture. I've highlighted the important parts.

Complete tendon rupture — Surgical consultation should be obtained for all complete Achilles tendon ruptures. The efficacy of surgery was evaluated in a systematic review of 14 randomized and quasi-randomized trials in which the following findings were noted [53 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/53)]:
●Surgical repair reduced the risk of repeat tendon rupture compared with nonoperative management (12/240 (5 percent) versus 30/249 (12 percent); risk ratio (RR) 0.41, 95% CI 0.21-0.77).
●Pooled results indicate that complications other than rerupture were reported more often in the surgically treated group, although this was not statistically significant when using the random-effects model (70/240 (29.2 percent) versus 20/249 (8 percent); RR 4.81, 95% CI 0.78-29.56). These complications included infection, abnormal sensation (sural nerve injury), adhesions, and deep vein thrombosis.
●Although disparate outcome measures prevented the authors from pooling data, all studies but one found no significant difference in the percentage of patients treated surgically or nonoperatively who were able to return to their preinjury level of sporting activity.
●Three studies included in the review reported that percutaneous surgical repair reduced postoperative wound infections compared with open repair (0/68 versus 12/66; RR 9.32, 95% CI 1.77-49.16), without affecting rerupture rates. There was no significant difference in the rates of other complications.
●Assessments of recuperation time and patient satisfaction varied among studies and no clear conclusions could be drawn.
A subsequent meta-analysis of seven randomized trials reported similar results [54 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/54)]. The rerupture rate among surgical patients in this review was 3.6 versus 8.8 percent among patients managed nonoperatively (OR 0.425; 95% CI 0.222-0.815). Several randomized trials published after both meta-analyses report consistent findings [55 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/55)].
Despite the lower rerupture rates among surgical patients reported in these systematic reviews, the authors of several studies have questioned the preference for surgical repair when managing ruptured Achilles tendons [56-60 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/56-60)]:
●In a controlled trial, 144 patients with acute Achilles tendon rupture were randomly assigned to operative or non-operative treatment, with both groups also undergoing accelerated rehabilitation including early weightbearing and early range of motion exercises [57 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/57)]. Although rerupture rates were comparable (2/72 patients in the operative group versus 3/72 in the nonoperative group), soft tissue complications (eg, infection) occurred more often among patients treated surgically (13/72 [18 percent] versus 6/72 [8 percent]). Other important clinical outcomes, including strength, motion, and overall function, were similar in both groups at one and two year follow-up.
●In a similar trial, 42 patients with acute Achilles tendon rupture were randomly assigned to surgery or no surgery, while treatment for both groups included early motion controlled in a removable orthosis, progressing to full weightbearing at eight weeks [58 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/58)]. No differences in complications and a similar low number of re-ruptures were reported for both groups.
●In a long-term observational study not considered in either systematic review, 945 consecutive patients with both acute and delayed Achilles tendon rupture were managed with a nonsurgical approach using a structured functional rehabilitation protocol [56 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/56)]. Patients were placed initially in a non-weightbearing cast with the foot in equinus position (plantar flexion), then transitioned to a pneumatic walker with elevated heels (elevation was gradually reduced biweekly), and finally received physical therapy to improve gait, strength, and mobility. Among patients treated with this protocol, rerupture rates were reported to be low (2.8 percent in the acute tendon rupture group; 2.7 percent in the delayed rupture group) regardless of the activities that they resumed.
The findings of these studies suggest that a non-operative protocol using accelerated functional rehabilitation may avoid the complications of surgical management without increasing the risk of rerupture. If additional randomized trials replicate the findings of these studies, the appropriate role of surgical and nonsurgical management will need to be reconsidered.
Surgery typically requires two to three months off from work. Athletes typically return to sports by three to six months.
According to a randomized trial of 110 patients with surgically repaired Achilles tendon rupture, early weightbearing starting two weeks after surgery improves quality of life scores in the early postoperative period (first six weeks) without impairing healing [61 (http://www.uptodate.com/contents/achilles-tendinopathy-and-tendon-rupture/abstract/61)]. At six months, quality of life scores were not different between the early mobilization and standard treatment groups.
Nonathletes and older patients may forego surgery and elect to be treated with immobilization using a plantar flexion short leg cast or a functional brace with a heel lift for six to eight weeks. These patients should be informed of the greater risk of repeat rupture. Ideally, casting should be performed within 48 hours of injury.
For patients who are found to have ruptured their Achilles tendon many weeks or months prior to diagnosis, immobilization with a brace followed by physical therapy is a reasonable management approach

Initial B
02-17-2014, 10:04 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time before Murphy came and bit TFC - things were going too well.

That really sucks for Dike. I feel so bad for him. If that is the same tendon he hurt before, then he's just going to hurt it again once he starts going full speed after healing it. I'm really afraid that his career is done. Look what happened to Kara Lang.

THA BUTCHA
02-17-2014, 10:11 PM
If it's the same leg, he is done.

:?(

Too bad. I really rated him. He would of been a useful weapon off the bench.

sashavukelich
02-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Guys....he can come back. Jay Demerit did this to his Achilles FIRST game of last season, and still managed to play at the end of the season. We haven't seen the last of Bright.

BS1327
02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Guys....he can come back. Jay Demerit did this to his Achilles FIRST game of last season, and still managed to play at the end of the season. We haven't seen the last of Bright.

The unfortunate thing is it's a repeat injury. But I'm hoping for the best. I really enjoyed watching Dike last season and hope that he gets the opportunity to step out on the pitch again for the Reds.

TFC07
02-18-2014, 12:50 AM
How exactly did he get injured?

Cashcleaner
02-18-2014, 01:16 AM
This sucks. The guy is gonna miss out on so much this year. And honestly, if it's the same leg as before it could spell the end of his career.

Shitty news.

khso11
02-18-2014, 03:59 AM
This is sad, the same year that he might have a chance to represent his country in the world cup and boom, a past injury returns. I feel bad for Bright.

Canary10
02-18-2014, 09:20 AM
That really sucks. I had a feeling he was going to be playing a bigger role this year than most thought. He was the one forward that offered something different. And in a World Cup year. Really a shame.

Milanista
02-18-2014, 09:41 AM
De Jong on Milan tore it last yr and was back...he looks just as strong as he was when he left, but if its the same leg then im not sure. poor guy...its like the kara lang story, life can be unfair

spark
02-18-2014, 11:27 AM

I certainly hope so. There have been quite a few athletes out there though who just can't seem to shake this type of injury. UFC's Dominic Cruz has been shelved for … I'm thinking over two years now as he's injured himself in the lower body over and over (I think his last injury was a groin) - but this takes me to the issue of even though many can recover from a tear one of the problems after is shifting the stress away from that injury to other parts of the body, and in turn bringing about new injuries. I think GSP tore one ACL and in recovery worked so hard he tore the opposite side. A

Anyway hopefully Dike comes back I was really excited to see what he could have offered through a full season.

Leedsoronto
02-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Why was this thead moved and where is it now, I can only find the "moved" thred.

Fingers crossed BD can come back from this. I had him up front cushioning incoming balls for Defoe to put in the net.

flatpicker
02-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Why was this thead moved and where is it now, I can only find the "moved" thred.

Fingers crossed BD can come back from this. I had him up front cushioning incoming balls for Defoe to put in the net.

I believe it was simply merged with the thread that already existed in the news section.

Oldtimer
02-18-2014, 03:14 PM

There were 2 threads running at the same time, so a merger needed to happen. It's news, so the merged thread went into the news section.

Mod questions are off topic and should be asked by a PM to the mod team.

jazzy
02-18-2014, 09:14 PM
God damn!

I guess that's why you build depth on a team.

So disappointing.

I was certain that this was his year, now it might be the end of his career Kara Lang style.
is Kara not back..?? giving it a go?

SKB
02-18-2014, 09:21 PM

Kara totally blew out her knee last week just after she was given the go ahead for full contact play. It was non contact injury. She just planted her foot to hit a cross and the knee just gave out. Third time she has blown out the same knee. A very sad ending to a great athlete. :(

reggie
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM

yes she was...but she blew her knee out again real bad a couple of days ago..

jazzy
02-18-2014, 09:42 PM
yes she was...but she blew her knee out again real bad a couple of days ago..

damn ... such a loss and tough luck . Best wishes Kara for your bravery. On Dike he always seemed such a huge amount of muscle moving like an out of control freight train . I'm not criticizing just his aggressiveness seemed to be a accident waiting to happen to those fragile parts one is not always able to strengthen. He never coasted that is for sure . This may always be a problem for the bigger men of the game . I suggest we use our 'academy' for times like this and develop back-ups from within . Like understudy's on the stage . with our key men still raring to go there will be a lot of space for anyone willing to give it a go. we are lacking in upfront size though for sure , and in MLS this could be crucial.

ensco
02-18-2014, 11:11 PM
On Dike he always seemed such a huge amount of muscle moving like an out of control freight train .

I dunno, you could say the same about Drogba or Negredo. There are a lot of big, strong elite players out there.

DigzTFC!
02-19-2014, 02:31 AM
Terrible news. But you know what they say....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

sashavukelich
02-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Bright successfully underwent surgery today as Reported on his Twitter. hopefully he's a quick healer and joins us for the last ⅓ or ¼ of the season.

reggie
02-20-2014, 02:35 AM
this club still sucks at getting info out,we have to read it on a players twitter account...COME ON MAN..

Brooker
02-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Okay this is the Toronto FC news I'm used to. I was waiting for it.