PDA

View Full Version : The Collected Laba Rumours/News/Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

MartinUtd
02-13-2014, 07:12 PM
A thread for all your Matias Laba speculation.

So the latest topics seem to be his relative effectiveness and the possibility of a restructured contract to circumvent the cap.

In any case, lets help clean up the transfer rumours thread!

RealG-TFC
02-13-2014, 07:24 PM
But, doesn't the Laba talk precisely fall under the category of "player moves/speculation/rumours"? I don't mean to be a smart ass or anything but its not like it is wildly off-topic in its current thread, nor are there really any other topics to talk about that the Laba stuff is clouding. Just my 0.02.

ensco
02-13-2014, 07:46 PM
So say March 1 comes, and per the rules, Laba has to be let go. He goes on waivers.

If Laba goes through the waiver draft without being claimed ... he is then a free agent ... but would he then be "sanitized" of his DP status?

The scenario I'm wondering about: what if TFC gave everyone in the league something as long as they all agree to pass. Example: say TFC simply agree to give up our top allocation spot (ie agree to not use it in 2014 or some such) as long as everyone in the league agrees to pass on Laba in the waiver draft....then TFC re-signs him.

They'd effectively have used the allocation spot on Laba....

MartinUtd
02-13-2014, 08:07 PM
I thought about that too. Or maybe Tim B could make the case that since Laba is a young DP and counts towards the cap for $168k less than a mature DP, maybe we could be afforded that gap in further allocation money. If so, would that be enough to make paying down his salary feasible?

And RealG-TFC, I suspect you're right. But the conversation seemed to take a life of its own - going into player comparisons, individual stats, the validity of those stats and roster rules at large. It seemed like a good candidate for a breakaway topic.

Dunkers
02-13-2014, 08:20 PM
agreed, getting to the 190th page of a thread on a smartphone was not fun!

Shakes McQueen
02-13-2014, 08:54 PM
I've renamed the thread to note that it will be the one and only collected area for specific discussion about Laba. Ordinarily I'd merge this with the Off-Season thread, but I suppose he's important enough to merit a separate thread - much like Defoe and Bradley were when they came in.

However, I've also reported the thread so the other mods can weigh in on whether they agree with this stance, so things may change.

- Scott

jabbronies
02-13-2014, 09:03 PM
This is TFC asking the league for a favour, A'la The Galaxy.

If the league wants Defoe to be successful for them, TFC needs that supporting cast. I think Laba is a big part of that. He's more than just depth for Bradley. He can be deployed to fill gaps elsewhere if support is needed for Defoe.

tfcleeds
02-13-2014, 09:23 PM
But, doesn't the Laba talk precisely fall under the category of "player moves/speculation/rumours"? I don't mean to be a smart ass or anything but its not like it is wildly off-topic in its current thread, nor are there really any other topics to talk about that the Laba stuff is clouding. Just my 0.02.

No, you're absolutely correct. It's not off-topic at all. Just that with two weeks between preseason games, we've got nothing else to talk about for the time being. It's no wonder this has become THE hot button issue, with it still up in the air.

ensco
02-13-2014, 09:46 PM
This is TFC asking the league for a favour, A'la The Galaxy.

If the league wants Defoe to be successful for them, TFC needs that supporting cast. I think Laba is a big part of that. He's more than just depth for Bradley. He can be deployed to fill gaps elsewhere if support is needed for Defoe.

This can't be a favour. It's too visible.

if we keep him, it has to come at some sort of real cost.

notthesun
02-13-2014, 10:04 PM
If we haven't done anything with him by March 1st we could loan him to Wilmington until whatever course of action we choose comes to fruition (not saying he'd be playing there, only to get around the deadline temporarily).

Oldtimer
02-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I've renamed the thread to note that it will be the one and only collected area for specific discussion about Laba. Ordinarily I'd merge this with the Off-Season thread, but I suppose he's important enough to merit a separate thread - much like Defoe and Bradley were when they came in.

However, I've also reported the thread so the other mods can weigh in on whether they agree with this stance, so things may change.

- Scott

DPs get their own thread. It's one of the two exceptions to the transfer thread (the other being confirmed signings).

tfcleeds
02-13-2014, 10:18 PM
^So, if someone starts a thread on say, Joe Bendik, it will get merged? :p

Oldtimer
02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
^So, if someone starts a thread on say, Joe Bendik, it will get merged? :p:p If it's a transfer rumour thread, yes.

prizby
02-14-2014, 12:03 AM
^mista was a dp!

boozilla
02-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Urruti was not.

anto7
02-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Lalas is on our side

Alexi Lalas @AlexiLalas
MLS is better with Laba at #TFC. Play "for the good of the league" card. RT @WittyNameHere88 What would you do in this situation? #AskAlexi

TOBOR !
02-14-2014, 08:54 AM
They see me postin', they moderatin' :D

Yohan
02-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Urruti was not.
http://www.socceramerica.com/article/56335/a-new-category-mls-fund-players.html

Phil
02-14-2014, 08:57 AM
I hope we can find a way to have the guy stick with the team but I have seen some mention that we want the MLS to change the rules to allow him to remain on the team.

Personally I won't support that (asking to have the rules changed outright), we should be working within the rules to keep Laba, if we cant then I expect TFC to be creative and find a way to loan him inside the MLS or outside while still remaining a future option for us.

MartinUtd
02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
I hope we can find a way to have the guy stick with the team but I have seen some mention that we want the MLS to change the rules to allow him to remain on the team.

Personally I won't support that (asking to have the rules changed outright), we should be working within the rules to keep Laba, if we cant then I expect TFC to be creative and find a way to loan him inside the MLS or outside while still remaining a future option for us.

Following the rules to the letter still seems to be a bit of a grey area when MORE ALLOCATION can be doled out to seemingly anyone at anytime.

Plus the CBA could change everything for 2015, I could definitely see a bump salary cap well beyond the usual 5%.

Joe Kool
02-14-2014, 09:33 AM

Yeah I hope they don't make a special one off concession from the league for us to have him on the team as much as I want him. I can't see an 'across the board' rule changes happening weeks before the season though either. Big changes like that would have had to come after the end of last season to give teams time to prepare their teams properly with the new rules. Hoping for something creative from Tim B though...

ManUtd4ever
02-14-2014, 09:42 AM

MLS has amended league guideline in the past to accommodate large market clubs in their quest to attract marquee players and raise the profile of the league. If a similar scenario plays out that allows us to keep Laba on the roster this season, I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

We shouldn't be penalized for the remarkable off season management has orchestrated.

JuliquE
02-14-2014, 09:52 AM
MLS has amended league guideline in the past to accommodate large market clubs in their quest to attract marquee players and raise the profile of the league. If a similar scenario plays out that allows us to keep Laba on the roster this season, I won't lose a second of sleep over it.

We shouldn't be penalized for the remarkable off season management has orchestrated.
See, this is my thinking, as well.

The league is in it's relative infancy and, as such, is evolving at a fairly fast rate, with the rules changed to suit. What drives those changes are the various unique situations that arise, as their solutions will sometimes influence/necessitate a change in the rules. If the league, more or less, expedites a change or two, that, in the near future, they planned on introducing, anyway, I, too, wouldn't be at all bothered, especially given the aforementioned context.

Even a country's own laws, right as they may seem, now, may, after "x" amount of time, no longer make sense, in some cases, seen as archaic/barbaric.

Phil
02-14-2014, 09:59 AM

I just think with the offseason we have had, we shouldn't be lobbying for a major rule shift. Do everything to keep him, yes. Find creative loopholes in the process - yes. But to cry about adding a fourth DP slot? No thanks.

I am okay with the MLS doing us a solid like they did with Seattle last year and let us renegotiate a contract or whatever. We are already becoming 'That Team' I just don't want to be *cheating* the rules. We spent a lot of money, money a lot of other clubs don't have. So far I don't think we have done much more than that.

ensco
02-14-2014, 10:00 AM

This is an amusing sentence.

Reminds me of the scene in Sideways, where the guy is being criticized for fooling around on his fiancee the week before he's supposed to get married, and the guy says, with more sincerity and entitlement than words can convey: "You don't understand my plight".

Canary10
02-14-2014, 10:04 AM
^ Ha ha. Very true.

ManUtd4ever
02-14-2014, 10:20 AM
This is an amusing sentence.

Reminds me of the scene in Sideways, where the guy is being criticized for fooling around on his fiancee the week before he's supposed to get married, and the guy says, with more sincerity and entitlement than words can convey: "You don't understand my plight".

LOL, I don't think the scenarios are analogous.

lanarkist
02-14-2014, 12:02 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/13/montreal-impact-say-imminent-signing-forward-santiago-gonzalez-will-fall-und

Thought the timing of this unknown, unheard of rule today is interesting to say the least - never heard of it, and neither had the writer for MLS, nor would the MLS comment on it. Maybe I'm reaching here but would be interesting if this was a rule we could use to fit Laba in.

pdubs
02-14-2014, 12:05 PM
from that article

"González not requiring the DP tag would ensure that Montreal retain the required breathing space to sign a third Designated Player in the summer."

sounds pretty close to our Laba situation lol

ryan
02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
We'd probably need the full written rule to understand if Laba could apply.

Although I would bet Tim B has already looked at this, he's the MLS guy remember? I'd be surprised if he didn't already look into this.

lanarkist
02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
from that article

"González not requiring the DP tag would ensure that Montreal retain the required breathing space to sign a third Designated Player in the summer."

sounds pretty close to our Laba situation lol

That's what I was thinking - obviously we already have Laba signed so it's slightly different, but the timing is what intrigues me. Perhaps a restructured contract under this rule might work? MLS allows a different team to use the rule first so it doesn't look like they created it for Laba/TFC.

lanarkist
02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
We'd probably need the full written rule to understand if Laba could apply.

Although I would bet Tim B has already looked at this, he's the MLS guy remember? I'd be surprised if he didn't already look into this.

Based on the author's lack of knowledge of the rule, or the inability to confirm whether Real did use the rule or not, or the MLS not willing to comment, it seems odd.

jabbronies
02-14-2014, 01:23 PM

I agree with this.

The league has made so many rule changes to specifically help the Galaxy, playing it off a"it's for the good of the league".
Now it's time for TFC to get that sort of treatment.

Come up with some sort of modification to the young DP rule.

Others on here are saying they would rather TFC play by the rules - well as Garber mentioned before - the league makes the rules up as they go.

Kaz
02-14-2014, 01:38 PM
We are Canadian we are the polite country... we don't need special treatment when we beat the Germans, we didn't need help when we keep the peace, we don't need help to win at curling, or hockey, we can deal with the league rules for Football too.

ag futbol
02-14-2014, 01:41 PM
The problem really stems from their lack of disclosure in the first place. As we've seen from time to time, the rules are clearly that MLS makes up the rules as they go along.

Detroit_TFC
02-14-2014, 01:45 PM
It's not surprising the existing rules aren't flexible enough to cover these new situations. It was a product of its time.

TOBOR !
02-14-2014, 02:02 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/13/montreal-impact-say-imminent-signing-forward-santiago-gonzalez-will-fall-und

Thought the timing of this unknown, unheard of rule today is interesting to say the least - never heard of it, and neither had the writer for MLS, nor would the MLS comment on it. Maybe I'm reaching here but would be interesting if this was a rule we could use to fit Laba in.

So, have they added a feature to MLS Fantasy Manager 2014 called "Do whatever the F you want"

I just picked up 2 Zusi's and 2 Higuains on my team based bilatteral diminsional allocation mechanism. MLS in both dimensions declined comment

crap, come on how am I gonna win

It's cool, you can have both Zusi's. The league has allready change the rules since my last comment, and now using the organizational shared captaincy regulation I can make all my starters captain, and by the uniform youth playing time floor I can play 3 subs in addition to my 11 starting captains. By the time you finish reading this post none of these rules will be in affect any longer and several more obscure ones will have taken their place.

Gold.

ensco
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
The league taking control of Chivas is the answer now. Laba has to go there on loan.

Garber now has the opportunity to do something for TFC, Chivas, and the league, that doesn't upset the competitive balance in MLS.

Detroit_TFC
02-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Yes, makes sense for everyone. Vergara said all the CdG players on loan to CUSA have to return by June so the league will have to replace those guys. Wilmer Cabrera is a decent coach actually, so wouldn't hurt Laba's continued development.

akoto
02-21-2014, 04:20 PM
The league taking control of Chivas is the answer now. Laba has to go there on loan.

Garber now has the opportunity to do something for TFC, Chivas, and the league, that doesn't upset the competitive balance in MLS.

I completely agree. This is a perfect opportunity for all involved.

Ivy
02-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Less than a week left. Amazing how the leaks at TFC were shut down.

reggie
02-22-2014, 03:31 PM
one way or another...I think he is done with TFC...by not having him at camp the writing is on the wall.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-22-2014, 07:50 PM
one way or another...I think he is done with TFC...by not having him at camp the writing is on the wall.

That was long ago decided, think it was a long shot that he would remain with us this season. That being said its not the worst thing in the world to have him go on loan for the season somewehre. Id only be upset if he doesnt come back

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Do we even know what Laba is doing right now? He's not at TFC camp, but is he training with someone else? Is he just sitting at home? Is he in Toronto, or back in South America?

We are something like 6 days away from the roster compliance deadline, and we still have no idea what his status is. I hate how opaque MLS is, sometimes. For all we know, he could have been let go or loaned two weeks ago.

- Scott

Detroit_TFC
02-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Lack of resolution on this makes me think he is leaving the league. Anybody inside willing to pick him up would have wanted him at their preseason camp by now.

Ivy
02-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Lack of resolution on this makes me think he is leaving the league. Anybody inside willing to pick him up would have wanted him at their preseason camp by now.
I agree. I can see it already.
"Mati is a great player, a great guy, we tried everything possible to keep him with us".
Cutting it very close to the deadline.

Areathrasher
02-25-2014, 09:27 AM
Which countries have transfer windows open right now that Laba could be sold to?

Argentina?
Brazil?
Mexico?

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Sweden, Norway, Japan, Brazil windows are open.

English Football League teams can bringing loanees too.

Areathrasher
02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
The loanees for champ clubs can only be for 90days. Would need a work permit.

I'd rule England out.

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
That leaves slim pickings. Maybe Michael can give his dad a call at Staebek and get him to do us a solid.

I'm not kidding.

Areathrasher
02-25-2014, 12:58 PM
You're not wrong. It's going to take a solid from someone somewhere to get something done at this stage.

Given that the club has been in negotiations twice with Internacional in Brazil (Forlan, Gilberto) maybe they give their contacts there a call and see if they can take him for the year...

Laiping
02-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Not happy at all to think we will lose Laba!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2014, 06:33 PM
Ben Rycroft suggesting Laba to Vancouver, dunno whether its perm or a loan
@callitfootball (https://twitter.com/callitfootball) 4m (https://twitter.com/callitfootball/status/438454500731281408)
Vancouver taking Toronto hand-me-downs, eh? Could work for both I suppose #LabaWatch (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23LabaWatch&src=hash)

Ivy
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I was just about to post that. Id be perfectly fine with Laba going to Vancouver on loan. Time in Canada will still accumulate towards getting that permanent res status.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2014, 06:39 PM
I was just about to post that. Id be perfectly fine with Laba going to Vancouver on loan. Time in Canada will still accumulate towards getting that permanent res status.
cosign that

mowe
02-25-2014, 06:44 PM

I really don't think we should consider PR status so early in a player's time here. It takes 3 years to be eligible plus about a year to actually get the card. A lot can change in 4 years.

Anyway, hope this is a loan.

notthesun
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd be very comfortable with a loan to Vancouver. A trade would sting a little no matter who/what we get in return.

Yohan
02-25-2014, 06:51 PM
I'd be very comfortable with a loan to Vancouver. A trade would sting a little no matter who/what we get in return.
Maybe. I'd love Kekuta Manneh plus allocation. Or Teibert + a lot

Ivy
02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I really don't think we should consider PR status so early in a player's time here. It takes 3 years to be eligible plus about a year to actually get the card. A lot can change in 4 years.

Anyway, hope this is a loan.
A year is still a year. Better in Canada than elsewhere.

notthesun
02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Maybe. I'd love Kekuta Manneh plus allocation. Or Teibert + a lot

That's why I said a little, started thinking about the pieces we could potentially get in return...

I think we'd be dreaming on Manneh given our position, being forced to trade. Teibert or Hurtado are possibilities though.

Ivy
02-25-2014, 07:02 PM
If it's a permanent deal, I HOPE TFC retain at least 20% of his rights. That guy will be very valuable one day.

reggie
02-25-2014, 07:09 PM
nooo .....anybody but VAN or MTL,he will haunt us for years?

RealG-TFC
02-25-2014, 07:12 PM
It could still be a loan no? Rycroft says it could work for both, which leads me believe its a loan.

ag futbol
02-25-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't think they'll be parting with Tiebert, he would seem to factor into their plans pretty heavily.

Salgado maybe? But I don't see the trade here, not too many pieces they'd part with and we'd value. They look thin all over the park tbh.

If we can have him back next year then I really don't care what we get today.

Yohan
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
I don't think they'll be parting with Tiebert, he would seem to factor into their plans pretty heavily.

Salgado maybe? But I don't see the trade here, not too many pieces they'd part with and we'd value. They look thin all over the park tbh.

If we can have him back next year then I really don't care what we get today.
I think Salgado is still on GA (last year), and apparently he bulked up big. Played LW for Caps.

mcolvy
02-25-2014, 08:31 PM
I think Salgado is still on GA (last year), and apparently he bulked up big. Played LW for Caps.

To be honest, I think we need to drop this competitiveness with the Whitecaps since we could both gain in situations like these. (And turn all the hate just to Montreal).
Canadians have a bad deal in MLS with Americans counting domestically here, but Canadians not counting domestically there. With Carl Robinson our former player and his connections seemingly aligned with those of Nelsen. buddies? I can see them as a good team to do deals with for the foreseeable future.

Manneh or koffie is its a trade.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2014, 08:38 PM
Id prefer not to trade him at all but understand if we do. Hopefully we dont.

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Surprised that Whitecaps stepped up. I bet if it is one of these new intra league loans, we are paying part of his wage bill. I'm ok with that to keep his rights.

notthesun
02-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Whitecaps interest also being reported by this guy:

@aftncanada: (https://twitter.com/aftncanada/status/438478725173108736) "Just been told that the Caps are looking like favourites to land Matias Laba from TFC. As to what the exact terms will be, that is unclear."

Remember, we've got a bit of history with the Caps. Dunfield trade and Hassli trade off the top of my head. Plus Robinson coaching there now, seems like a good fit.

jazzy
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Not happy at all to think we will lose Laba!
and from preseason noone took control AND the passing was atrocious......yes even Bradley gave it away.....couldn't care about the game but ball control and dogged defense are and were missing.....Mr. Bradley prove me wrong . please.........Laba's love of the game needs to infect someone

Yohan
02-25-2014, 09:11 PM
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02/25/whitecaps-acquire-argentine-midfielder-matias-laba-on-loan-from-toronto-fc/?postpost=v2#content

Laba to Caps on loan. No other details yet

Canary10
02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/02/25/whitecaps-acquire-argentine-midfielder-matias-laba-on-loan-from-toronto-fc/?postpost=v2#content

Laba to Caps on loan. No other details yet

That's probably as good as it can get tbh.

jazzy
02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
well he'll love Van......great city to live in if you can afford it, ....hopefully not too much :( , best of luck........man teams are going to have so much ammo to get psyched to beat us........we are the bad guys . Hope we can deliver .

notthesun
02-25-2014, 09:22 PM
Sounds very good. He gets to stay in Canada and I trust we'll be getting him back next year. Western conference, so won't impact our playoff chances, and he almost certainly won't be able to play against us.

Bezbatchenko continues to impress me.

dantdot
02-25-2014, 09:25 PM
As long as he doesn't play against us. Shame he'll have to play on shitty turf in those NW cities.

Red CB Toronto
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
I am very pleasantly surprised that Bez and company found a dance partner to take Laba on a loan, considering everyone in the league knew TFC was one DP over the limit and had to do something very soon. Could have very well forced the Reds hand by playing hard ball by forcing an outright trade.

OgtheDim
02-25-2014, 09:30 PM
I'll take that.

If that's all that there is here.

mcolvy
02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
I am very pleasantly surprised that Bez and company found a dance partner to take Laba on a loan, considering everyone in the league knew TFC was one DP over the limit and had to do something very soon. Could have very well forced the Reds hand by playing hard ball by forcing an outright trade.

From the info coming out, it looks like Toronto wasn't in a hard ball position being forced into anything. Seemed to be a ton of options that almost it was them discussing with Laba as to where he might like to go, etc. If its a straight one year loan and hes our property 100% next year this is perfect. He'll enjoy his time there and get more acclimated to MLS.

OgtheDim
02-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Seems Bez kinda waited until teams realised they need a DM in their scheme and were not getting it from what they had in camp. I could see Robinson not liking who he had there.

Pint
02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
It's tough to lose laba even for a year but at least in vancouver he remains in canada for green card purposes and maybe team canada duty in the future (but that may just be my pipe dream).

Detroit_TFC
02-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Keeping Laba in the league and connected to us is a win. Getting a special GarberRule was a 1% possibility.

Yohan
02-25-2014, 09:47 PM
It's tough to lose laba even for a year but at least in vancouver he remains in canada for green card purposes and maybe team canada duty in the future (but that may just be my pipe dream).
can't. Laba played for Argentina in a youth tourney.

Nuvinho
02-25-2014, 09:51 PM
as long as the loan stipulates that he can't play against us.

notthesun
02-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Molinaro: (https://twitter.com/JohnMolinaro/status/438504988814630914) MLS rules stipulate the loans run until the end of the year and player reverts to old club after MLS Cup. #labaonloantovancouver

He also said an official announcement is expected tomorrow.

pdubs
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
good move. pretty much best that could be done with the current situation.

Pint
02-25-2014, 09:59 PM

damn just looked the rules up again and it appeard you are correct... oh well just becoming a domestic is an advantage for us in the future

ag futbol
02-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Maybe we can get Kevin Aleman's signing rights back, lol.

ManUtd4ever
02-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I don't like Vancouver, or the thought that Laba will improve their team immensely, but under the circumstances, I think this is the best case scenario for both parties other than the fact that he'll be playing an absurd number of games on artificial turf. As mentioned, I am also assuming that he won't play against us in the CCL or in MLS matches.

Hopefully, Laba will continue to improve within MLS ranks and avoid serious injury prior to returning to our lineup next season.

Red I
02-25-2014, 10:43 PM

Begovic played for Canada U teams; pretty sure that doesn't prevent the switch

Relja
02-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Its a shame we lost him.....but at least its on a loan....

Yohan
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
Begovic played for Canada U teams; pretty sure that doesn't prevent the switch
In Begovic's case, he was eligible for Bosnia from birth. FIFA rules prevent switching for acquired citizenship if you played for a sanctioned tourney, even at youth level. (hence why Koffie is ineligible for Canada)

Ajax TFC
02-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Unless the rules changed very recently, youth tourneys don't cap tie players. There are a lot of players who have played in the youth ranks of one country and then play for the senior side of another.

[edit] NVM, that makes sense now.

ag futbol
02-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Can't remember how it works, but I believe if you want to switch after playing as a youth you need to already have the 2nd citizenship, you can't be naturalized. Begovic always had the passport, so different than Laba

Scarlet
02-25-2014, 11:08 PM
So technically therefore Jonathan De Guzman (the traitor) can always play for us?

I'm quite happy about the deal for Laba though. One year later, we'll be an even more powerful team. Although we wouldn't have Cesar in goal, we'd probably get an improved Bendik.

Yohan
02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
So technically therefore Jonathan De Guzman (the traitor) can always play for us?

I'm quite happy about the deal for Laba though. One year later, we'll be an even more powerful team. Although we wouldn't have Cesar in goal, we'd probably get an improved Bendik.
no. once you play on a WCQ or other sanctioned tourney or related games, you're cap tied (unless you switch to amateur status)

and more on Laba

Peter Schaad ‏@PeteSchaad (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad) 9m (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad/status/438522963986362368)
Confirming that Laba deal is 1 year loan with option to transfer. Young DP deal (200K on cap) #VWFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23VWFC&src=hash) hope he can be in PDX by Thursday.

ManUtd4ever
02-25-2014, 11:13 PM
The question is, who holds the option to transfer?

I really hope it is strictly TFC's option.

TFCwestcan
02-25-2014, 11:14 PM

Yohan
02-25-2014, 11:18 PM
The question is, who holds the option to transfer?

I really hope it is strictly TFC's option.
that's not how most option to buy clauses work ;)

notthesun
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Option to buy?

... well, shit. :(

Ossington Mental Youth
02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
no. once you play on a WCQ or other sanctioned tourney or related games, you're cap tied (unless you switch to amateur status)

and more on Laba

Peter Schaad ‏@PeteSchaad (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad) 9m (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad/status/438522963986362368)
Confirming that Laba deal is 1 year loan with option to transfer. Young DP deal (200K on cap) #VWFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23VWFC&src=hash) hope he can be in PDX by Thursday.

Hope thats wrong, ech

ManUtd4ever
02-25-2014, 11:24 PM
that's not how most option to buy clauses work ;)

Is it a predetermined transfer fee that will be Vancouver's option?

I'm confused, because I'm not familiar with MLS intra league loans, and Molinaro suggested that MLS rules stipulate that the loaned player must return to the parent club the following season.

Alonso
02-25-2014, 11:28 PM
Hope thats wrong, ech

Well it is quoted as an option to transfer.

In my mind meaning they could get his transfer but not his whole rights. (We would share his rights)

Still, I don't like the deal if he doesn't come back and play for us. But as far as business goes, and there not being a lot of options with regards to keeping him... maybe we maximized what we could get?

Alonso
02-25-2014, 11:30 PM

I'm confused, because I'm not familiar with MLS intra league loans, and Molinaro suggested that MLS rules stipulate that the loaned player must return to the parent club the following season.

Yeah, I did read that as well...

As usual, the rules are new, and no one seems to know, and no one can know unless the league opened up it's rule book (the real one, with players salaries and tranfer fees, and team salaries etc...)

Yohan
02-25-2014, 11:33 PM

kinda breaking into new ground, as this is only 2nd time inter league loan rule is used, but if option clauses in other leagues are examples, a pre determined amount or assets are written into the loan clauses. since it's MLS, it'll be some sort of combo of allocation and draft picks or other considerations (no transfer fees between teams in MLS). and if TFC set the option to buy clause high enough, Caps won't likely take up on it, or if Caps do exercise the option, TFC comes out so far ahead hopefully.

and Tim B must have a plan to get a back up DM if Laba is bought by Caps

reggie
02-25-2014, 11:47 PM
this is bullcrap...they better bring in another DM,a certain player will be missing for about a month...
I hate the fact that we made a bitter rival better for nothing..

ensco
02-25-2014, 11:52 PM
It all turns on the option, and how that works.

Need to wait for more reporting before knowing what to think.

reggie
02-25-2014, 11:56 PM
whats the diff....how can they keep him next year anyway,unless they change the rules..

NolbertoS
02-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Wow, Haven't been here on ages. Just heard Laba got transferred. He'll be closer to his pal Urutti :D. I hope Laba doesn't play too determined. I get the feeling Laba might give TFC the middle finger after the loan is up.

prizby
02-26-2014, 12:03 AM
option to buy could be $10mil and completely unreasonable, but still an 'option'

Ivy
02-26-2014, 12:06 AM
option to buy could be $10mil and completely unreasonable, but still an 'option'
It could be, but Vancouver would never agree to that...

and to the posters above - what other options did TFC have? Either this, or trade him outright. I think this is the best thing that could have happened in the situation.

evermorian
02-26-2014, 12:07 AM
kinda breaking into new ground, as this is only 2nd time inter league loan rule is used, but if option clauses in other leagues are examples, a pre determined amount or assets are written into the loan clauses. since it's MLS, it'll be some sort of combo of allocation and draft picks or other considerations (no transfer fees between teams in MLS). and if TFC set the option to buy clause high enough, Caps won't likely take up on it, or if Caps do exercise the option, TFC comes out so far ahead hopefully.

and Tim B must have a plan to get a back up DM if Laba is bought by Caps Interesting thoughts. Probably the most level headed response thus far concerning Laba's loan. This is something that needs to be dealt with in the next CBA. Increase the number of DP's. If the league is wanting to be one of the top leagues by 2022 then the quality of the teams need to significantly increase and the treatment of good players (like Laba) needs to be better rather than a team having to loan them out or transfer them after just one year even though they want them just to be roster compliant.

Milanista
02-26-2014, 12:40 AM
shit like this is what makes mls seem like a shit league…rules are way too strict and if u want the league to grow to time to think about giving teams more options

Yohan
02-26-2014, 12:43 AM
shit like this is what makes mls seem like a shit league…rules are way too strict and if u want the league to grow to time to think about giving teams more options
it's kinda funny complaining about rules when you know what the rules are, but you chose to ignore it. (not a slam on you, but generally musing)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2014, 12:48 AM
option could also be that if Laba wants to go there

Yohan
02-26-2014, 12:51 AM
option could also be that if Laba wants to go there
I wouldn't blame him. He must not feel very wanted after all the shenanigans.

But at least in Robbo, he'll continue to develop from someone who used to be quite a good DM

reggie
02-26-2014, 12:57 AM
mickey mouse cup,you can add mickey mouse league...so is he off our cap?

Laiping
02-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Will miss you Laba! Now I can't wait till next year when you could come back to TFC!

ensco
02-26-2014, 07:59 AM
I woke up feeling very good about this. Tim B deserves some love, I think.

We have done well by Laba, which I am glad to see. Very refreshing. Players need to see us doing that around here. Historically we have screwed players we didn't have room for. This isn't exile in Ukraine or something.

1) Robbo played 52 games internationally at DM, so Laba has the chance to learn something, from someone we all know is a decent human being.
2) Vancouver is a good team. He'll be in a serious locker room, and play minutes that matter to someone. Face it, it is a way better situation than Chivas would have been. He would have got more minutes at Chivas, and more spanish speaking teammates, but not much else, it would have been depressing from a soccer POV I think.
3) Vancouver is a great city. Plus this maintains Laba's connection to Canada, which upon reflection is possibly important to his long-term interest in TFC.
4) I love that he stayed in MLS ... this is the number one thing, if we get him back!

How this is for TFC really depends on the buyout clause, but I am optimistic, because the rest of this seems well thought out.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-26-2014, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't blame him. He must not feel very wanted after all the shenanigans.

But at least in Robbo, he'll continue to develop from someone who used to be quite a good DM

Ah i dunno, Id be willing to bet that he wont want to go tbh, im sure TFC/The Tims/Nelsen have made him feel the opposite and also kept him abreast of the situation. I wouldnt doubt if they checked in weekly to let him know they are still thinking about him.

Captain
02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Here are the roster rules for loaning a player within MLS from an article posted back in April last year.

But there are some basic guidelines that govern loans, as explained by DiCuollo:
I) Only players 24 years of age or younger are eligible for loans;
II) Loans must be executed within the primary transfer window of a given MLS season (Feb. 12-May 6 in 2013);
III) All loans run through the end of the MLS season (player reverts to his original club only after MLS Cup);
IV) Roster slot and budget considerations surrounding the loan are subject to negotiation between the two clubs;
V) There are no limits on the number of loans involving any one team (incoming or outgoing loans).

It does not say that the player has to return to the original team but only that they may not return before the end of the season.

Oldtimer
02-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Huge Kudos to Tim Bez for pulling this off.

For Laba to study under Robbo and then come back would be the best possible situation for TFC AND treats Laba well (he doesn't have to change countries, and Vancouver is pretty liveable).

tfcleeds
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Like this move if we manage to hang on to him, not sure I do if we don't. All I can say is, Gilberto better be worth the DP slot.

Oblio2
02-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but general loan rules are, the loanee cannot play against his home team so.....he makes Vancouver better but can't play against us (assuming the rule is in effect here)

Detroit_TFC
02-26-2014, 09:50 AM
I didn't think the MLS intraleague loan would happen mainly due to the late timing, but realistically the only outside option was Norway. More upside than down for the move to VWFC. I'm not going to spend a lot of time thinking about what happens in 2015, there is just too many variables.

Red I
02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
In Begovic's case, he was eligible for Bosnia from birth. FIFA rules prevent switching for acquired citizenship if you played for a sanctioned tourney, even at youth level. (hence why Koffie is ineligible for Canada)

Ah, that makes sense

Frings22
02-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Matias Laba has been loaned out to the Whitecaps for the season! Some competition in his position but I'm sure he'll be a starter. Thoughts?

TFC07
02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
This was best outcome for us. We loan him to western conference team and he will return back next season without any worries losing him.

Frings22
02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
And I'm pretty sure he can't play against us although I'm not positive on how the MLS rules work.

TFC07
02-26-2014, 10:47 AM
And I'm pretty sure he can't play against us although I'm not positive on how the MLS rules work.

This is correct. Laba can't play against us but however, outside of MLS (like V-Cup), I believe he's eligible to play against us.

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Umm...where is this OFFICIAL right now?

Nothing on twitter or facebook or the main page of TFC.

Has VCWC announced?

notthesun
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
This is correct. Laba can't play against us but however, outside of MLS (like V-Cup), I believe he's eligible to play against us.

Typically any clauses barring a player from playing against his parent club will be for all competitions. Tony Cascio was loaned to Houston from Colorado this year and he can't play against Colorado in MLS or US Open Cup.

gdg_9
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
The evaluation of this move, in my mind, all hinges on one factor... whether he rejoins us next season.

If he comes back to play for us next season, it is a fantastic move!

He stays in MLS to further develop in the league.
He also learns from a coach who was a pretty good DM in his own right.
He stays in Canada, meaning PR and Domestic status are potentially that much closer.
He's in the West, so he won't be helping a team we're competing against for a play-off spot.

If he doesn't end up coming back to us, I think this deal is a bust.

Obviously it depends on what the buy option was negotiated to be, but it will likely be draft picks and/or allocation, which I can't see helping us more than a flat-out trade could have. Or probably even selling him outside the league.

Ultra & Proud
02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
I think he will most likely return as any transfer fee we would ask for would probably keep Laba as a DP for a few more seasons (if he got a new contract or else it'd be a big sum next season with no guarantees he would stay afterwards). I don't think the Caps would be willing to do that and they won't get MLS assistance like we did as he is already under MLS contract. Probably a stop gap move for them as they look to be fairly awful this season and need shoring up everywhere, especially in midfield.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
can't pay transfer fees within MLS, except in funny allocation money form. if a player is not involved, it'll be allocation, draft picks, int spots most likely. which makes it really hard for Caps to buy, if TFC set a price in assets/considerations close to Laba's transfer fee from Argentinos Jrs.

NolbertoS
02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
So far seems the Southsiders are 65-35 in favour of Laba joining. Being generous with this odds. It stems from the FO losing Camilo, then Robbo and FO saying they want to give local Canadian kids a chance to play and now they decide that Laba is too good to pass up. At least Lieweke convinced Bell and Rogers to loosen the purse strings, while the Caps FO, wants to treat the Caps as the Fulham's of the EPL.

Laurignano
02-26-2014, 01:09 PM
Good move for both clubs. This move only is only beneficial for us IF he comes back to us next season.

As a random question, if we have a long term injury to one of our DP's, do these loan deals give us rights to re-call Laba? Would be a nice insurance.

Waggy
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
The idea that this move is only beneficial to us if Laba comes back after the one year loan is ridiculous. If we DIDN'T move Laba somehow before March 1, he went into the allocation draft and we lose him forever/for nothing. Retaining his rights as a 4th DP is as good a return as we could have hoped. If he gets sold outright at least he's still our player so we get that allocation, and if he doesn't then contractually he has to be back to TFC next year when he's no longer a DP. The bonus is by keeping Laba in Canada we've done right by him as well. Kudos to Tim B for getting something done when he had almost no leverage at all.

Ultra & Proud
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Good move for both clubs. This move only is only beneficial for us IF he comes back to us next season.

As a random question, if we have a long term injury to one of our DP's, do these loan deals give us rights to re-call Laba? Would be a nice insurance.
No because even if a DP is out long term his DP spot is still on our books (ala. Koev) and apparently we can't recall him until the season is over even if, say, Gilberto flopped and was cut by the team in June.

prizby
02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
The idea that this move is only beneficial to us if Laba comes back after the one year loan is ridiculous. If we DIDN'T move Laba somehow before March 1, he went into the allocation draft and we lose him forever/for nothing. Retaining his rights as a 4th DP is as good a return as we could have hoped. If he gets sold outright at least he's still our player so we get that allocation, and if he doesn't then contractually he has to be back to TFC next year when he's no longer a DP. The bonus is by keeping Laba in Canada we've done right by him as well. Kudos to Tim B for getting something done when he had almost no leverage at all.

sorry, but got to think that TFC had something lined up outside of MLS if nothing in MLS worked; wouldn't be too farfetched to think that a certain player's father might help his son's club out

prizby
02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
No because even if a DP is out long term his DP spot is still on our books (ala. Koev) and apparently we can't recall him until the season is over even if, say, Gilberto flopped and was cut by the team in June.

why would TFC cut someone they paid multiple millions of dollars for

Waggy
02-26-2014, 04:58 PM
sorry, but got to think that TFC had something lined up outside of MLS if nothing in MLS worked; wouldn't be too farfetched to think that a certain player's father might help his son's club out

How do we know the player didn't say that the reason he picked MLS was to live in North America, not get transferred to Norway? Isn't that why almost EVERYONE with options who picks MLS picks MLS? If I was Laba I'd want to stay in MLS, that was the point in coming here. Also don't forget the league, who technically owns Laba. Why would they let a promising young player leave the league to go play in Norway when instead he could go to another of their clubs? How does that help MLS in any way? Also, you really think Bob Bradley would care about what TFC does with the guy his son is basically replacing? How is it in his interest to do a solid for his sons team? How does that help his credibility in any way shape or form?

Ivy
02-26-2014, 05:02 PM
The option to buy is probably equal to the transfer fee that TFC paid for Laba + some. There's no way Vancouver has 1.35 in allocation, so it would have to come in a form of picks, allocation, and international spots.

prizby
02-26-2014, 06:31 PM
How do we know the player didn't say that the reason he picked MLS was to live in North America, not get transferred to Norway? Isn't that why almost EVERYONE with options who picks MLS picks MLS? If I was Laba I'd want to stay in MLS, that was the point in coming here. Also don't forget the league, who technically owns Laba. Why would they let a promising young player leave the league to go play in Norway when instead he could go to another of their clubs? How does that help MLS in any way? Also, you really think Bob Bradley would care about what TFC does with the guy his son is basically replacing? How is it in his interest to do a solid for his sons team? How does that help his credibility in any way shape or form?

it was hypothetical, if no one in MLS was offering a loan, but they got outside of MLS offers, than why wouldn't they accept a loan offer for Laba? The league would have to accept the loan or else they would be forcing TFC to not be roster compliant. How can the league tell TFC, no you can't loan him to Norway, and then ask them to be roster compliant on March 1st. It sure doesn't help MLS to block a move and fuck over a team come March 1st. Why would Bob Bradley not want to improve his team.

jazzy
02-26-2014, 09:22 PM
I woke up feeling very good about this. Tim B deserves some love, I think.

We have done well by Laba, which I am glad to see. Very refreshing. Players need to see us doing that around here. Historically we have screwed players we didn't have room for. This isn't exile in Ukraine or something.

1) Robbo played 52 games internationally at DM, so Laba has the chance to learn something, from someone we all know is a decent human being.
2) Vancouver is a good team. He'll be in a serious locker room, and play minutes that matter to someone. Face it, it is a way better situation than Chivas would have been. He would have got more minutes at Chivas, and more spanish speaking teammates, but not much else, it would have been depressing from a soccer POV I think.
3) Vancouver is a great city. Plus this maintains Laba's connection to Canada, which upon reflection is possibly important to his long-term interest in TFC.
4) I love that he stayed in MLS ... this is the number one thing, if we get him back!

How this is for TFC really depends on the buyout clause, but I am optimistic, because the rest of this seems well thought out.

for all the reasons above , I think he`s gone for good...................shite

ensco
02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
for all the reasons above , I think he`s gone for good...................shite

Maybe. Whatever the option price is, Vancouver controls this. He will either be good enough to justify the price, or not. Either way, Vancouver will feel better about it than we will, most probably.

dupont
02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/tfc-trades-laba-vancouver

trade?! nooooo

Pint
02-26-2014, 10:19 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/tfc-trades-laba-vancouver

Trade?

KidA
02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
And he's gone for good.... For future considerations. Argh!!!

Detroit_TFC
02-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Something very bad happened. I'm just not sure why.

notthesun
What? What the hell happened?

For future considerations? Is there any remote possibility we come out of this not being 100% fleeced? God damn it. :(

__wowza
well that was short lived.

any word on what the future considerations are?

Alonso
02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
WTF?

Alonso
02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
TFC got hosed by the league

Anything would have been better then this.

Meaning TFC were forced into it.

Canary10
02-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Fuck I knew it sounded too good.

LFC_TFC
Must be a typo right? Please be a typo!

notthesun
I just don't understand how it was reported by multiple sources this was going to be a loan, and now it's a trade. Even Molinaro reported it as a loan.

Something's going on here.

Nuvinho
02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
The future consideration is that they will trade him back at the end of the year....?!?!

mowe
02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Peter Schaad ‏@PeteSchaad (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad) 3m (https://twitter.com/PeteSchaad/status/438876152346599424) It should be noted that this switch to a permanent trade for Laba rather than a loan, only transpired in the last few hours.

Laiping
02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
WTF! It says Laba was TRADED to Vancouver!

Canary10
02-26-2014, 10:27 PM
I just don't understand how it was reported by multiple sources this was going to be a loan, and now it's a trade. Even Molinaro reported it as a loan.

It wasn't announced by the teams.

Alonso
02-26-2014, 10:28 PM

That and TFC could have loaned him out to virtually any club in the world without giving him away for probably nothing!

Detroit_TFC
I really don't understand what happened. Need the FO to address why this happened.

Milanista
lol is the MLS the only soccer league that the league it self has their hands in everything? this is bullshit, this leavue the way its structured is a damn joke. He was my fav player on this team, so pissed we couldn't keep him. I bet if we were LA or NY they would of made up some excuse and allowed us to keep him

dantdot
02-26-2014, 10:29 PM
This is Cronin x100. Ready for him to break up our attacks in the CC for years to come? Huge mistake.

Initial B
02-26-2014, 10:30 PM
Well now, I guess the league can't have Toronto jump the gun on everybody when they raise the salary cap next season, can they? Something tells me someone called shenanigans on Tim B. Too smart for his own good. I'm thinking that the American teams were more than happy to let TFC twist in the wind regarding Laba, but as soon as the loan was announced, they complained to Garber. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up creating a bit of a schism between the Canadian and American franchises...

Red CB Toronto
02-26-2014, 10:31 PM
I really don't understand what happened. Need the FO to address why this happened.

I really do not get this, why would they agree to a trade when they could have just loaned him out? Wonder if Vancouver backed off doing a loan to force TFC's hand.

RealG-TFC
02-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Future considerations may mean we could have first dibs to resign him when his contract is up.

notthesun
02-26-2014, 10:33 PM
It wasn't announced by the teams.

It was going to be loan. It doesn't get reported as widely as it did if that wasn't true. And as the tweet posted above indicates, this was a last minute change. Very last minute.

Tells me something happened that must have been out of our control.

This sucks.

LFC_TFC
02-26-2014, 10:33 PM
in the interview with bez on the tfc site he uses the word "transaction" not trade or loan, interesting

bman27
02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Wonder if Laba and his Agent rejected the loan, and said if he was going, he wanted a permanent deal instead. Can't really judge this until we figure out what we are getting in return. Could at least do with one of their young strikers.

buyback clause perhaps?

who knows, anything could have happened. There is no point getting upset and worked up about it until we hear more from Bez about this.

RealG-TFC
02-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Fuck, this all stinks...

Thomas
02-26-2014, 10:37 PM
I really hope that 'future consideration' has considerable upside, otherwise this is BS. He was my favorite TFC player. We bring a young skilled Arg player with tons of potential over here, and then dump him? Gili better work out, otherwise this will be a shit show. Just saying.

notthesun
02-26-2014, 10:38 PM
“Matias is a great pro and great person, but given our recent acquisitions, we were faced with the reality that he would not be able to play with TFC this season,” said Toronto General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko."

From the release. I don't want to feed everyone false hope, but this seems like very odd wording to me. Why phrase it that way if we're just shipping him out?

RealG-TFC
02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
If we were gunna trade him, it shouldn't have been to the Whitecaps.

Ahh shit this ruined my night, we may as well start scouting a replacement now. Hell maybe we might get another promising Argentine and send him to Seattle to complete the Cascadian/Argentine givaway.

ensco
02-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Before we burn BMO down, a few years back John McDonald was traded by the Jays to the Tigers for a player to be named later, who turned out to be ... John McDonald.

notthesun
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
This whole thing feels off to me. The loan rumors, that quote from Bez in the press release, this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0DmAaYGZas

He makes it sounds like a loan. And he says they had other options but still went the route of straight up trading him for "nothing"?

Doesn't add up.

starter
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Before we burn BMO down, a few years back John McDonald was traded by the Jays to the Tigers for a player to be named later, who turned out to be ... John McDonald.

I wish that was the case here.
... But I am afraid another brilliant move, like Dike for Urutti, is about to transpire.

Detroit_TFC
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM
So, the intra-league loan was not approved by the league, so the move has to be structured as a trade, with consideration being that he gets traded back next season. That's too tinfoil even for MLS.

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Whitecaps confirm on their site that this is a trade and not a loan.

Also confirm he is now a DP for them.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 10:50 PM
Prepare to lose your shit

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/26/vancouver-whitecaps-pounce-toronto-fcs-offer-land-matias-laba-trade?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Whitecaps aren't saying what they will have to give up for Laba, but have indicated it won't be anything significant.“Every MLS team needs to be roster compliant within the next day or so,” Robinson said. “Obviously we had a little bit of space planned out for some changes to the squad. It's a great addition for us, and we haven't had to give much up.”

Yohan
02-26-2014, 10:51 PM
I suppose this is what you get for blatantly trying to game the rules. Laba is going to rape us in V Cup games. Not happy about this so far

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 10:51 PM
I wish that was the case here.
... But I am afraid another brilliant move, like Dike for Urutti, is about to transpire.

Until Dike got injured, most people, including in Portland, thought we won that deal.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
loan would have made more sense. I'd like to know exactly what the 'future considerations' are.

notthesun
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
If the league actually stepped in and blocked our loan I will personally burn the MLS headquarters to the ground.

leafsman
02-26-2014, 10:53 PM
So no other team in the league wanted him? If we are going to give him away for free why to a Canadian rival?

AdamAM
02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
That sinking feeling..... that familiar sinking feeling associated so often with TFC...... it's coming back again........

reggie
02-26-2014, 10:55 PM
fuck this shit..no worries when Bradley is away ...we got bekker to cover his ass...anybody but van or mtl...what a fucking joke...
im sure man u would help man city win the title.

RealG-TFC
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Or maybe Robbo and Co. fleeced us. Baited us with the prospect of a loan when they had full intentions of snatching Laba up. They switched when we took the bait.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
If the league actually stepped in and blocked our loan I will personally burn the MLS headquarters to the ground.
I have a sinking gut feeling that Laba told TFC that he didn't want to come back. No evidence, just a feeling :(

starter
02-26-2014, 10:58 PM
Until Dike got injured, most people, including in Portland, thought we won that deal.
Why would Timbers give us a better deal? Certainly was not a salary dump.

Laba was not sent to Championsip loan, to stay and learn MLS. Mission accomplished ?

Yohan
02-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Or maybe Robbo and Co. fleeced us. Baited us with the prospect of a loan when they had full intentions of snatching Laba up. They switched when we took the bait.
Maybe. Robbo is an honest man. I don't think Robbo wants to stab Toronto like this and burn any business relationship. Then again, Vancouver have a habit of fleecing us on deals.

Shakes McQueen
02-26-2014, 11:00 PM

Yeah, the fact that we traded a quality player for "considerations", when it was reported as a loan right up to the wire, makes me think there's more to this than meets the eye. Otherwise, you just don't make that trade, because it's clearly stupid.

At the moment, I'm going to wait for further information. Methinks some MLS rule-subverting skullduggery is afoot.

- Scott

leafsman
02-26-2014, 11:00 PM
I have a sinking gut feeling that Laba told TFC that he didn't want to come back. No evidence, just a feeling :(

Then send him to Chivas, isn't that the Siberia of the mls?

mowe
02-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I'd love to find out the behind the scenes negotiations behind this trade. What was behind that last minute switch from loan to trade?

reggie
the closer we get to the season...the more we are the old TFC.

Jack
I'd love to find out the behind the scenes negotiations behind this trade. What was behind that last minute switch from loan to trade?
Don Garber?

FluSH
02-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Then send him to Chivas, isn't that the Siberia of the mls?

LMAO!

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:05 PM
In essence we traded Laba to Vancouver for the right to get Bradley.

Looked at that way, we are ahead.

But.....that's not how we look at things.

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Why would Timbers give us a better deal? Certainly was not a salary dump....

Nobody does a deal expecting to lose (except maybe this one which is likely forced). But no deal is perfectly balanced.

ManUtd4ever
02-26-2014, 11:07 PM
I trust that our beat reporters will try to clarify the situation in the next few days.

At times like this, it's difficult to be a supporter of this league.

reggie
02-26-2014, 11:08 PM

we will never find out the truth from this club....the only way we may get any info is by a tweet from his gf to her sister,some bullshit like that.

Derko
02-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Don Garber?

I thinks you be right on the money!!

Ivy
02-26-2014, 11:09 PM
Put this garbage on an All for One episode - Ide love to see wtf happened.

In reality though, Bradley > Laba. We knew that Laba wasn't staying from the moment Bradley was announced. I'm sure TFC did all they could to keep him, but it's the league's call in the end.

Bluenose13
02-26-2014, 11:10 PM

But.....that's not how we look at things.You would make that deal 100 out of 100 times.

And yes we are ahead.

reggie
02-26-2014, 11:14 PM
they better bank some points early....because we are looking at a hall ,bekker, Weidman. combo in june and july.

prizby
February has been pretty much like 2007-2013; injuries and shitty deals

Yohan

But.....that's not how we look at things.
TFC got a little too blatant with the rules, and we know a lot of the MLS didn't like what TFC was doing.

Bluenose13
02-26-2014, 11:15 PM
they better bank some points early....because we are looking at a hall ,bekker, Weidman. combo in june and july.Why?

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:16 PM
they better bank some points early....because we are looking at a hall ,bekker, Weidman. combo in june and july.

Osorio and Gilberto are going to the World Cup?

BuSaPuNk
02-26-2014, 11:18 PM
I look at this the same way it's almost like we traded Laba for Bradley. In that case were ahead by a mile.

Would have loved to keep him here but the writing was on the wall and they didn't leave themselves enough time to address it before the compliance date.

The Tin-foil hat theory to me is Bez was going to loan him to Willmington and the league said no. Move him. Cause wouldn't have that been the easiest way around it?

Detroit_TFC
02-26-2014, 11:23 PM
We knew that Laba was gone for 2014 so none of this is relevant for our current roster.

If the loan was spiked because someone interpreted this as us still having 4 DPs, that's ridiculous. And if that's true and we had to just give him up, moving him to Vancouver makes no sense, unless we had no choice.

Laba
02-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the free player. Going to love him here. He is a stud! He will haunt your dreams for many years to come.

Bluenose13
02-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the free player. Going to love him here. He is a stud! He will haunt your dreams for many years to come.With the disaster of an off-season that you have had, you will need all the help you can get.

reggie
02-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Why?

Bradley and defoe at the world cup and gilberto is injured....who replaces Bradley....hall?

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:27 PM
I doubt the future considerations is Laba coming back. Not only would other teams have a fit, but Robinson is talking like Laba is there for awhile. And he is one of their DP's. which is too much of an investment for just one year when you are rebuilding.

Time to start asking what the heck future considerations means.

OgtheDim
02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Bradley and defoe at the world cup and gilberto is injured....who replaces Bradley....hall?

Gilberto is not out for 4 months.

Shakes McQueen
02-26-2014, 11:28 PM

Gilberto is expected back in a couple of weeks... not a few months.

- Scott

AdamAM
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I know it will never happen but if someone like Manneh was coming over I would definitely not be as upset as I am right now.

ManUtd4ever
Thanks for the free player. Going to love him here. He is a stud! He will haunt your dreams for many years to come.

Camilo says hi.

Laba
With the disaster of an off-season that you have had, you will need all the help you can get.

Wouldn't call it a disaster. Camilo is just one player. The Caps are now a great all around team with skilled young guys fighting over spots on the starting lineup. Losing Camilo hurts but I believe the Caps will easily make the playoffs this year. They are even rumoured to be bringing in another Latino player who's a star in Europe. Watch out for the Caps this season!

notthesun
02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
I doubt the future considerations is Laba coming back. Not only would other teams have a fit, but Robinson is talking like Laba is there for awhile. And he is one of their DP's. which is too much of an investment for just one year when you are rebuilding.

Time to start asking what the heck future considerations means.

Larson apparently knows.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarSUN/status/438888838501781504

flamehawk
02-26-2014, 11:31 PM
I know it will never happen but if someone like Manneh was coming over I would definitely not be as upset as I am right now.

That would calm my anger a little... I really hope we get something good out of this...

this league really pisses me off sometimes.

Laba

Yeah.... no... lol!

Shakes McQueen
"Laba" took a swipe at us, we took a swipe back, and he seems content to leave it at that. Let's not derail things.

- Scott

Bluenose13
Bradley and defoe at the world cup and gilberto is injured....who replaces Bradley....hall?You said June & July, we are off for 3 weeks in June and a very good chance that both England & the USA don't make it out of the 1st round.

The sky is not falling.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 11:32 PM
You really don't know how to post on a rival supporter's board, do you?

Tread lightly. Act like a troll and you will be banned.Not a good day for TFC supporters and no need for you to fan the flames.

Shakes McQueen
Larson apparently knows.

Interesting. Let's wait for that information before we all wig out about this. This all sounds a little too insane, for us to have just given Vancouver a play like Laba for essentially nothing.

- Scott

reggie
Gilberto is expected back in a couple of weeks... not a few months.

- Scott
lets hope so.. . but I don't trust any news coming out of this club anymore..

ManUtd4ever
02-26-2014, 11:34 PM
You really don't know how to post on a rival supporter's board, do you?

Tread lightly. Act like a troll and you will be banned.Not a good day for TFC supporters and no need for you to fan the flames.

This.

Otherwise, we will have no choice but to post video highlights of every Voyageurs Cup tournament.

Captain
02-26-2014, 11:37 PM
We got screwed on this one. When has future consideration ever added up to more then a bag of beans.

Yohan
02-26-2014, 11:54 PM
There has to be something more than this. Despite the hand being forced, Tim B doesn't look like the guy to get fleeced like this. I mean, TFC spent supposedly 1.5 mil on Laba. Giving him away for virtually nothing doesn't add up logically. And with other teams supposedly interested in Laba, and Vancouver's 'future consideration' was the best deal? There has to be something else.

Tomorrow will be interesting to find out.

reggie
02-26-2014, 11:56 PM
why will we know more tomorrow?

Yohan
02-26-2014, 11:58 PM
Larson says he's on it. I don't think JMo, Armen and other guys will sit tight on a juicy news like this

Bluenose13
02-26-2014, 11:58 PM

reggie
02-27-2014, 12:03 AM
why not jus announce the full trade tonight,what is going to change overnight...maybe from 1 bag of beans to 2 bags...COME ON MAN..
the FO may need some more time to put a spin on it...

dantdot
02-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I'd guess it's the rights to a player. That would mesh with Robbo saying they didn't give up much.

Yohan
02-27-2014, 12:08 AM
why not jus announce the full trade tonight,what is going to change overnight...maybe from 1 bag of beans to 2 bags...COME ON MAN..
the FO may need some more time to put a spin on it...
willing to give the benefit of doubt that the cat was out of the bag a little too early, and the negotiations may be still going.

reggie
02-27-2014, 12:12 AM
I don't want another 1st rd pick,it better be a shit load of allo ? because we got a good sunburn on this...

jloome
02-27-2014, 12:14 AM
willing to give the benefit of doubt that the cat was out of the bag a little too early, and the negotiations may be still going.

This deal looks pretty awful; it'll look a lot worse if Gilberto doesn't pot at least 10 for us. People can say it wasn't a player for a player all they want, but that's what it amounts to.

Red CB Toronto
02-27-2014, 12:22 AM
You said June & July, we are off for 3 weeks in June and a very good chance that both England & the USA don't make it out of the 1st round.

The sky is not falling.

As of right now the only guarantee for World Cup selections on the TFC squad is missing two games, May 31 vs. Columbus and San Jose on June 7. Lots of MLS teams are going to be effected, so nothing to get too worried about for now.

ManUtd4ever
02-27-2014, 12:23 AM
This deal looks pretty awful; it'll look a lot worse if Gilberto doesn't pot at least 10 for us. People can say it wasn't a player for a player all they want, but that's what it amounts to.

The optics of the trade are awful indeed, but Michael Bradley is the only reason that Laba is no longer with our club.

reggie
02-27-2014, 12:26 AM
watching the tim b interview...why does he care that he is still in the league on a western conf team...and they had other options,and van was the best offer...dude put yr glasses back on...we play van 3 times a year every year...

notthesun
02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
http://www.pasionpaternal.com.ar/2014/02/26/laba-de-toronto-a-vancouver/

Laba had loan interest from former team Argentinos Juniors and Corinthians but his contract was too expensive. Why didn't we just cover most of his salary? Unless Laba himself didn't want to leave MLS.

I know we don't have all the details yet but man... our team is better but this deal sucks from all angles.

edit: Unless MLS blocked us from loaning him outside the league, or covering his salary would count against our cap. Who knows.

NolbertoS
02-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Wow, what hte fuck happened guys?? I have the feeling Laba forced TFC's hand to trade him. Thought him being quiet on Twitter, was his growing anger towards TFC. If Laba, meant alot to TFC, TFC would've guaranteed Laba security, saying "You're our main guy" but instead brought Bradley. I'm sure once Bez, told Laba, he was going to be "loaned", Laba changed his tone of voice and demanded a trade. Laba wants first action and a clean start, so he pulled a Camilo, without making it too public.

Edit: I'm betting the Caps give you a 1-2nd round pick and future allocation costs and probably taking Laba's salary. Don't know if TFC is fully on the hook for the $1.5Million transfer they paid Argentino Juniors, but I'm sure the Caps will use most of the Camilo transfer money to "buy" out Laba from TFC.

Yohan
02-27-2014, 12:32 AM
As of right now the only guarantee for World Cup selections on the TFC squad is missing two games, May 31 vs. Columbus and San Jose on June 7. Lots of MLS teams are going to be effected, so nothing to get too worried about for now.
Released from squad May 18, a week break, report to camp for 25 May according to FIFA

bman27
02-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Not saying he didn't play well and I wish we were able to keep him, but players like Laba come out of Argentina all of the time. Having the best American player right now come back to N.A and play for us at the age of 26 is special in this league. This is not the end of the world, and quite frankly is a blip on fantastic off-season we have had

Yohan
02-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Not saying he didn't play well and I wish we were able to keep him, but players like Laba come out of Argentina all of the time. Having the best American player right now come back to N.A and play for us at the age of 26 is special in this league. This is not the end of the world, and quite frankly is a blip on fantastic off-season we have had
in MLS, it's major when a DP is involved lol

Red CB Toronto
02-27-2014, 12:53 AM
Released from squad May 18, a week break, report to camp for 25 May according to FIFA

You have to report for camp on the 26, from all reports the US's first match of their send off series is for May27th in California. I am starting to think the MLS teams might have a different deal since they are in season. Most European Leagues end their seasons the weekend of the 10th.

The biggest thing to consider is that the UEFA Champions League Final is during the rest period with it on May 24. No way if a team like Bayern is playing in it, they will be missing all their international players. You can bet on that.

Rudi
02-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Except the player that effectively took Laba's spot was Bradley, not Gilberto.

Yohan
02-27-2014, 01:02 AM
You have to report for camp on the 26, from all reports the US's first match of their send off series is for May27th in California. I am starting to think the MLS teams might have a different deal since they are in season. Most European Leagues end their seasons the weekend of the 10th.

The biggest thing to consider is that the UEFA Champions League Final is during the rest period with it on May 24. No way if a team like Bayern is playing in it, they will be missing all their international players. You can bet on that.
http://www.fifa.com/mm/Document/WorldFootball/Calendar&Live/02/03/95/26/IMC2013-2018FIFAversionv28May2013_Neutral.pdf
Final date for national competitions
18 May 2014 (except UEFA CL Final)
Official rest period 19-25 May 2014
Release of players on 26 May for the
2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™