PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Bradley thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Yohan
02-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Now this is how you use stats to make a point

http://theshinguardian.com/2014/02/10/the-bradley-experiment-can-il-generale-save-toronto-fc/

Ron Manager
02-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Great read, and I agree that the high impact leadership role we will ask of Bradley has the chance to improve his game further.

Technorgasm
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
KEEP your filthy hands off our midfield general!!!

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationalteam/id/1768?cc=5901

Could Michael Bradley thrive in the Premier League?Posted by Roger Bennett

RECOMMEND (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespnfc.com%2fblog%2f_%2f name%2fusnationalteam%2fid%2f1768&t=Could+Michael+Bradley+thrive+in+the+Premier+Leag ue%3F)395 (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2fespnfc.com%2fblog%2f_%2f name%2fusnationalteam%2fid%2f1768&t=Could+Michael+Bradley+thrive+in+the+Premier+Leag ue%3F)
TWEET (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespnfc.com%2fblog%2f_%2fnam e%2fusnationalteam%2fid%2f1768&text=Could+Michael+Bradley+thrive+in+the+Premier+L eague%3F)8 (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http%3A%2f%2fespnfc.com%2fblog%2f_%2fnam e%2fusnationalteam%2fid%2f1768&text=Could+Michael+Bradley+thrive+in+the+Premier+L eague%3F)
EMAIL (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/soccernet/SendToFriendSoccernet?URL=http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnationalteam/id/1768&title=Could%20Michael%20Bradley%20thrive%20in%20th e%20Premier%20League?&id=1768)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/0407/soc_ag_bradley_statham_b1_576x324.jpgAP PhotoIs there a better Hollywood doppelganger for Bradley than Jason Statham?
Michael Bradley is the American Jason Statham.

A bald man who kicks ass, and in doing so makes all those around him feel both safe and full of hope. In the past, his physical commitment and mental tenacity have combined to make the midfielder a virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team.

Bradley was unshackled in the U.S. team's 2-2 draw with Mexico last Wednesday night, thriving in a more advanced, buccaneering role at the tip of the diamond. No sooner had Bradley led the U.S. in touches (81) and passes completed (56) than Mexican coach Miguel Herrera was left to marvel that Bradley "looked as if he was the best player in the world."

ensco
06-19-2016, 08:32 PM
Hat tip to "ronzilla" who posted this elsewhere

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/sampdoria-interested-in-toronto-fcs-michael-bradley-medicals-scheduled-for-schick/ (http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/sampdoria-interested-in-toronto-fcs-michael-bradley-medicals-scheduled-for-schick/)

So this could be nothing, or it could be that he's now in the shop window.

I have always felt that bringing Bradley in was a poor business decision, much as I love the guy

Richard
06-19-2016, 08:42 PM
Probably nothing, I don't see him wanting to move back to Italy at this stage. We're going to see the same thing with Giovinco once the Euros are over.

If they make that move TFC better have another DP lined up.

OgtheDim
06-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Its David Amoyal, people.

He of the "TFC is going to fire its coach and get an Italian."

Nothing to see here.

Hamilton_Red
09-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Anyone else think that Bradley should lose the captaincy role? Moor looks more of a leader on the field for this team & Johnson plays with more passion. Him taking all the free kicks and wasting them needs to be addressed - he can't even seem to take a dangerous corner. As the captain he should have stepped up in the last four games in Gio's absence and led the team to some wins. Maybe he is more focussed on the big Mexico game coming up and doesn't want to risk anything?

Fort York Redcoat
09-29-2016, 07:13 AM
Anyone else think that Bradley should lose the captaincy role? Moor looks more of a leader on the field for this team & Johnson plays with more passion. Him taking all the free kicks and wasting them needs to be addressed - he can't even seem to take a dangerous corner. As the captain he should have stepped up in the last four games in Gio's absence and led the team to some wins. Maybe he is more focussed on the big Mexico game coming up and doesn't want to risk anything?

No. Bradley is just as proud of his club and his captaincy as playing for the US.

If you see a lack of stepping up its not the first time or season its been noted.

Jack
09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
I think sometimes Bradley tries too hard to step up. He tries to do too much.

michaeltfc91
09-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Was anyone else watching the same game as me? He owned Kaka throughout the match, was all over him and had many tackles on him. Not to mention every time we put Bradley in a tight spot, he gets his way around 2 defenders and finds an outlet. There was a ball he sent to Morrow about 60 yards away that was put on a dime.

He had about 8 set pieces and I agree they aren't the best part of his game, but he hit Ricketts on the first corner that he hit over the net and another one in the first half fell right on the six yard line and Ricketts / Moor couldn't convert.

The man runs the most yards, completes the most passes on anyone on the field and absolutely plays his hardest for the club

Red4ever
09-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Was anyone else watching the same game as me? He owned Kaka throughout the match, was all over him and had many tackles on him. Not to mention every time we put Bradley in a tight spot, he gets his way around 2 defenders and finds an outlet. There was a ball he sent to Morrow about 60 yards away that was put on a dime.

He had about 8 set pieces and I agree they aren't the best part of his game, but he hit Ricketts on the first corner that he hit over the net and another one in the first half fell right on the six yard line and Ricketts / Moor couldn't convert.

The man runs the most yards, completes the most passes on anyone on the field and absolutely plays his hardest for the club

^ Despite the fact that I'm 100% certain this IS Michael Bradley anonymously bragging (he used his real name to throw us off), it's spot on.

I won't add to that summary except to say that it's impossble to see some of the things Bradley does well on the pitch unless you watch him closely. Try doing it. Twice next game say I'm going to watch Bradley for a 3 minute stretch (like an isolation camera shot) and I think you'll see what the rest of us do: he's borderline irreplaceable.

Carter
09-29-2016, 09:15 AM
^ Despite the fact that I'm 100% certain this IS Michael Bradley anonymously bragging (he used his real name to throw us off), it's spot on.

I won't add to that summary except to say that it's impossble to see some of the things Bradley does well on the pitch unless you watch him closely. Try doing it. Twice next game say I'm going to watch Bradley for a 3 minute stretch (like an isolation camera shot) and I think you'll see what the rest of us do: he's borderline irreplaceable.

Absolutely, he joined the boards back in 2009 while playing Borussia knowing that in 2014 he would be playing here.

Although I agree with the rest of your statement... :)

Jack
09-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Bang on. He is a beast out there.

michaeltfc91
09-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Absolutely, he joined the boards back in 2009 while playing Borussia knowing that in 2014 he would be playing here.

Although I agree with the rest of your statement... :)

At least some people agree with me! I just want to get some love from the fans of the club I've played on for 3 years

OgtheDim
09-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Was anyone else watching the same game as me? He owned Kaka throughout the match, was all over him and had many tackles on him....

That was the best part of the match watching those two duel. Was worth the price of admission.

trane
09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
We are better this year, in terms of organization both ways, and defense in large part because Bradley is playing as the CDM/Regista, he controls the team from that position, he leads defensively and directs our attack from the back. He is the best at it in the MLS by a long shot, he is our general.

I am never sure what people expect from players playing that role. He has been superb at it, and he more then deserves to be the Captain. While I am disappointed that we dropped points, it is certainly not because of him. He is one of the reasons we are in my opinion the best team in the MLS, we are the best defensively ( as hard as that is to beleive-but in the MLS it is true) and we have two of the best attacking options in the MLS ( the best Giovinco and for my money as good as it gets in these league at CF in Altidore, goal total aside).

Initial B
09-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Sure sometimes Bradley might have an off night, but there is no way you can question his work ethic and intensity.

Jack
09-29-2016, 01:18 PM
The Bradley-Kaka duel was, indeed, one my high points of the match. Great battle between two hardcore competitors.

Hamilton_Red
09-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Ok Michael I might have gone a bit far there withbthe captaincy thing. You have done really well in the DM position and i really think it brings the best out of you. That role is in valuable IMO - its the main reason we have given up so few goals. That can't be underestimated. But please let some else have a go at the free kicks and corners. Please.

ryan
09-29-2016, 01:57 PM
It's the things people don't notice that helps make him such a special player for us.

Last night for example, Kaka had some space in the middle of the pitch while attacking, Bradley was marking. Kaka had passing options, went with a double take head fake (a move we've all seen before), yet Bradley was not phased, calmly put his boot out at the correct moment and the ball goes flying out of bounds and backwards. We have plenty of time to reset formation and gather ourselves. A lesser player and that patented move may successfully beat them and turn into a scoring chance.

Or later in the match, Beitashour wins a ball right in the southeast corner, Bradley comes back into space to help. Receives the ball and then lays a beautiful long cross to Cooper on the left wing at half. Right on his boot. In the past we'd have some fuckin scrub entirely incapable of such a pass, try to force something while under pressure leading to a chance against us.

This is what we pay for and it's worth the money.

FRANKIE65
09-29-2016, 02:58 PM
I'll chime in too. I am by no means a huge fan of Bradley. Frustrates the hell out of me at times. Like others have stated, he tries to do too much. BUT, last night, vs Kaka he was HUGE!!! It truly was an epic battle.

DinamoTFC
09-29-2016, 03:47 PM
The Bradley-Kaka duel was, indeed, one my high points of the match. Great battle between two hardcore competitors.

Bradley played an excellent game yesterday. Finally stepped it up with greater intensity since the past few games. However, his free kicks have been horrible all year. He essentially floats the ball into the box which is easy for a defender. Yesterday he finally started whipping in some balls and they were more dangerous. Still needs to practice more.

C.Ronaldo
09-29-2016, 04:10 PM
I'll chime in too. I am by no means a huge fan of Bradley. Frustrates the hell out of me at times. Like others have stated, he tries to do too much. BUT, last night, vs Kaka he was HUGE!!! It truly was an epic battle.

kaka took a few players pants off without them even noticing.

Bradely was class going toe to toe with Kaka, and by end of game you can see Kaka appreciated the match up

C.Ronaldo
09-29-2016, 04:12 PM
It's the things people don't notice that helps make him such a special player for us.

Last night for example, Kaka had some space in the middle of the pitch while attacking, Bradley was marking. Kaka had passing options, went with a double take head fake (a move we've all seen before), yet Bradley was not phased, calmly put his boot out at the correct moment and the ball goes flying out of bounds and backwards. We have plenty of time to reset formation and gather ourselves. A lesser player and that patented move may successfully beat them and turn into a scoring chance.

Or later in the match, Beitashour wins a ball right in the southeast corner, Bradley comes back into space to help. Receives the ball and then lays a beautiful long cross to Cooper on the left wing at half. Right on his boot. In the past we'd have some fuckin scrub entirely incapable of such a pass, try to force something while under pressure leading to a chance against us.

This is what we pay for and it's worth the money.

I remember that thinking how will TFC build out of that situation. Bradley saw the outlet b4 i even had to time to say oh fck

ensco
09-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Just saw this conversation - agree, Bradley was superb Wednesday (even if not 100% successful). That was an elite battle.

Something to keep an eye on btw

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/09/28/bob-bradley-swansea-lafc-mls-manager

greatwhitenorf
09-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Sure sometimes Bradley might have an off night, but there is no way you can question his work ethic and intensity.

Absolumente. Like that loss to Montreal in the 4-nil-1 derby. Or the 3-3 tie with NYRB. He was walking the ball into trouble all over the place and turning it over in dangerous areas to help NY to a 3-1 lead. Never once did he fail to look concerned or snap his fingers in frustration.

mistercorporate
09-30-2016, 11:42 PM
At least some people agree with me! I just want to get some love from the fans of the club I've played on for 3 years

Hi I'm Defoe's mom, this is my alternate account, hit me up or find me on Tinder...

MightyDM
10-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Bradley is clearly an excellent player, but that doesn't mean he can't improve. His set pieces have been off and he is not looking for late runners into the box - ball watches - against Montreal Patti will pick up on that. On the other hand, his referee baiting is world class . Love it.

CBTFC
10-01-2016, 12:03 PM
https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2016/09/30/bradleys-message-to-protesting-tfc-fans-we-need-you.html

JoesphNdo
10-01-2016, 02:04 PM
What's so frustrating about Wednesday is that is an example of what Bradley could be every week. He's his own worst enemy. If he sticks to what he's good at he's one of the best in the league
The problem comes when he thinks he's Xabi Alonso rather than Javier Mascherano. If we could convince him to never pass the ball more than ten yards and get off set pieces he'd be fantastic but at times he's downright terrible

Hamilton_Red
10-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Bradley is clearly an excellent player, but that doesn't mean he can't improve. His set pieces have been off and he is not looking for late runners into the box - ball watches - against Montreal Patti will pick up on that. On the other hand, his referee baiting is world class . Love it.

This - when he lined up for the extratime free kick that he overcooked for a goal kick...I knew exactly what was going to happen. It was so depressing. At this point I don't blame Bradley so much..he is being enabled by the team and the coach. Some one has to have the chat - that your just not taking the kicks better find something usefull to do on deadballs.

ensco
10-03-2016, 08:17 AM
Over/under on number of days before the first "Michael Bradley to Swansea in the January window" rumour appears?

OgtheDim
10-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Over/under on number of days before the first "Michael Bradley to Swansea in the January window" rumour appears?

Transfer rumour pages come out in English papers daily so.....tomorrow.

burlington Red
10-03-2016, 09:49 AM
good club for Bob Bradley in picking Swansea, quite a few managers without a lot of top level experience have done well there, Martinez, Rodgers, Laudrup and Monk. Don't know much about him in fairness but funny interview he give upon his appt.

“When I have a chance to observe different managers, the ones that do good work, I mention Pochettino, Klopp, Tuchel,” the American told the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3819694/Bob-Bradley-believes-good-Pep-Guardiola-Jurgen-Klopp.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490)upon appointment.
“We haven’t even talked about the Guardiolas and the Ancelottis.
“But I’ll tell you what – maybe I’m stupid – but I think I’m a manager in and around that level.”

ensco
10-03-2016, 12:07 PM
Bradley has been on loan in the EPL before. He was at Aston Villa a few years ago. He barely played though.

That was a low point in his career, after that he had to go to Chievo (a pretty marginal team) on a free to rebuild his game.

gmacpheetfc
10-03-2016, 12:27 PM
He is way to slow and shit for the premier league.

OgtheDim
10-03-2016, 01:42 PM
The EPL is so manager driven I wouldn't suggest anybody was shite unless they actually played.

Areathrasher
10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Bradley has been on loan in the EPL before. He was at Aston Villa a few years ago. He barely played though.

That was a low point in his career, after that he had to go to Chievo (a pretty marginal team) on a free to rebuild his game.

That wasn't entirely his fault. Manager that brought him in got sacked soon after and the new one didn't want him. McLeish brought him in and Houiller didn't want him or vice versa IIRC.

woolly
10-03-2016, 02:09 PM
The EPL is so manager driven I wouldn't suggest anybody was shite unless they actually played.

It's not like Villa has been the poster child for making good decisions....

ensco
10-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Interesting. Bob Bradley will have to sort this, or find a replacement for Ki.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/francesco-guidolin-to-talk-to-ki-sung-yueng-following-another-dugout-disagreement/story-29727617-detail/story.html

Ki is a guy that Michael Bradley has been compared to before, in terms of style of play, role, and age (Ki is a box to box MF who is the captain of South Korea)

trane
10-03-2016, 05:16 PM

I want to respond to this, but I am trying to find the words, as I do not wish to be insulting. Why is he too slow and shit for the EPL????

Please explain this too me.

OgtheDim
10-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Cause when you watch the EPL it seems so fast and wonderful and the whole world loves them and they are all good guys and great players and its the greatest greatest bestest football EVAH!!!!!!!

Hamilton_Red
10-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts. With Brexit they will be deporting half the players...probably go back to allowing only 3 foreigners per team. The three imports rule was only stopped by EU labour laws. They are already talking about sending foreign DR's home.

ensco
10-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts. With Brexit they will be deporting half the players...probably go back to allowing only 3 foreigners per team. The three imports rule was only stopped by EU labour laws. They are already talking about sending foreign DR's home.

Not to derail this, but I wouldn't invest much energy in the football impact of "Brexit".

There is a lot being written that no one, from Theresa May on down, has any idea what "Brexit" actually is, or how to do it.... it's a 5 to 10 year process, best case, if they ever really do it. If you are interested, the axe on this is David Allen Green, an FT correspondent, follow him on twitter.

Also - my daughter wants to know why Voldemort is on the front page of the sports section today

gmacpheetfc
10-04-2016, 09:02 AM
his decision making is too slow, he lacks the first touch pass with both feet and his long pass accuracy is not good enough.

burlington Red
10-04-2016, 10:18 AM
his decision making is too slow, he lacks the first touch pass with both feet and his long pass accuracy is not good enough.

if a top 4 team was going for him, sure I'd apply those arguments, probably even a top 6 team, but Bradley could do a job for a mid table team down. Give him a clearly defined role in a team where he is not the main man, where he gets dropped if he plays badly, he could do a job. You see players such as Cattermole at Sunderland, Whelan at Stoke, McArthur at West Brom, are any of them head and shoulders above Bradley in terms of talent, I'm not so sure. You take the Bradley launching hollywood passes and hitting all deep lying set peices, tell him to concentrate on winning the ball and laying it off, he'd do okay. He has the athleticism to play in PL, sure he gives the ball away too much but I think he tries to hard as he sees himself as the team leader. I didn't watch him at Roma, but surely he didn't give the ball away as much as he does for us. He has the ability to make great passes but you don't need to do it with nearly every pass, mix it up more. Put him a in team where he's not the captain, he doesn't have that added pressure he'd do a job. With the money in the pl even with the smaller teams now, it's certainly doable.
I see quite a lot of the Swansea press are basically saying his dad only got the job due to the American owners, would be quite a ballsy move if they brought his son in also lol.

Kamp Berg
10-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know the stats on TFC's record with and without Bradley? I have a feeling it's not going to be very complimentary to him. Many observers have hit the nail on the head, he tries to do way to much. I would love to see him teamed up with Cheyrou as a DM pairing, could be fantastic if it's managed properly.

OgtheDim
10-04-2016, 11:47 AM
FWIW

Bradley responds to his Dad getting the Swansea job.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/783331165470154752

Detroit_TFC
10-04-2016, 12:51 PM

There are some who might advocate a UK first roster policy but the broadcasters who just ponied up a lot of money for the PL rights might feel differently.

Davenport
10-04-2016, 03:14 PM

That's a very good scouting report. Correct

Onyx
10-04-2016, 03:22 PM

If your at the top of the field, you can work in any country you want. Labour laws in almost every country in the world allow this exemption. Brexit will have no impact on the PL or Championship.

its the PL & the FA that can impose it on themselves, but why put all those TV $ at risk.

Detroit_TFC
10-06-2016, 01:49 PM
FWIW Grant Wahl discussing some MB transfer interest from Milan and Bologna. I suspect Saputo shitstirring with the Bologna rumor.

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/784095505513115648

Areathrasher
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
I wonder if there will be any "my dad is in the big time maybe i should go back" from ol Michael

ensco
10-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Michael could have shut this down today, he didn't. Not that I blame him. He came here because we offered him 5x what he was making over there. If he can make his current wage AND play top flight football...

http://www.espnfc.us/story/2970386/toronto-fcs-michael-bradley-to-discuss-future-after-mls-season

PopePouri
10-15-2016, 12:01 PM
I think he's gone after this season. He's a great DP but he's very much a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type midfielder. He also takes a chunk of international time which is a dumb MLS scheduling issue and has screwed us over the past 2 season.

SirBobSaget
10-17-2016, 12:14 AM
The team seemed more composed with Cheyrou in the lineup instead of Bradley. If your going to spend 6 million its so much smarter to sign a younger French/Spanish/Italian/Argentinian(etc) version of Cheyrou that wont get called up for national duty. Why TFC is breaking the bank for USMT I have no idea.

DinamoTFC
10-17-2016, 01:31 AM
I agree with you but on the bright side can't complain too much. This is the first step we took to go from a consistent bottom dweller to a solid playoff team. In the future the signing will be smarter and better but still happy with thr current crop. Just wish it didn't take us 9 years and we could have done it in 2 years like NYCFC.

A Stick
10-17-2016, 08:31 AM
Bradley was so brutal yesterday. The second Impact goal was a direct result of his screw up at the Montreal 18 yard line. His passing was woeful and he was second best on most 50/50 challenges.

molenshtain
10-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Bradley was so brutal yesterday. The second Impact goal was a direct result of his screw up at the Montreal 18 yard line. His passing was woeful and he was second best on most 50/50 challenges.

Wouldn't have singled out Bradley out of anyone on the team for having a bad game. Even in the midfield, Delgado and Osorio had far worse games. The impact played three defensive midfielders and stuffed the middle of the park. Those games are always going to be hard on Bradley because he has to play really risky passes, either switching the ball to an overlapping fullback our trying to thread balls through a wall of midfielders. Without a proper #10 in the lineup these games are always going to put too much pressure on Bradley to create everything in midfield.

GhostKiller
10-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Wouldn't have singled out Bradley out of anyone on the team for having a bad game. Even in the midfield, Delgado and Osorio had far worse games. The impact played three defensive midfielders and stuffed the middle of the park. Those games are always going to be hard on Bradley because he has to play really risky passes, either switching the ball to an overlapping fullback our trying to thread balls through a wall of midfielders. Without a proper #10 in the lineup these games are always going to put too much pressure on Bradley to create everything in midfield.
I feel like Cooper is a proper #10 and was the best man on the pitch yesterday. Bradley was really in shit form yesterday. Maybe it was because he was returning from international duty and wasn't clicking with the boys but to put that performance out there after he left the door open to an early departure from Toronto leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think he is a good contributor and a valuable player but not a necessity.

Areathrasher
10-17-2016, 12:33 PM
TFC had 3 DPs out there yesterday. Only 2 looked like or performed like DPs

PopePouri
10-17-2016, 12:57 PM
I feel like Cooper is a proper #10 and was the best man on the pitch yesterday. Bradley was really in shit form yesterday. Maybe it was because he was returning from international duty and wasn't clicking with the boys but to put that performance out there after he left the door open to an early departure from Toronto leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think he is a good contributor and a valuable player but not a necessity.

Chapman should be our starting no. 10.

Cooper doesn't have much vision and can't see the final pass. He's better out wide where he can drift inside.

OgtheDim
10-17-2016, 01:04 PM
If they are throwing 2-3 middies at Bradley, he needs support. None of the other 3 helped him out, but Osorio REALLY was playing too high for the first 60 minutes.

i.e. That wasn't Bradley playing crap as much as the other mids around him leaving him isolated.

BTW, he made his usual 5-6 pinpoint line busting passes.

molenshtain
10-17-2016, 01:17 PM
It'd be a lot easier for him if the midfielders in front of him had any clue how to work together. We need Johnson back healthy and in form, and Chapman needs to start playing again. We've played Osorio at the tip of the diamond for the last 7 consecutive games, and we have one win against Chicago to show for it. Granted, he's not the only reason we haven't been winning games; Delgado looks very tired almost all the time now, Switching Zavs and Hagglund in and out didn't do anything good for the backline, Beita's form is getting worse and worse, and we haven't had Seba. Even then, the last seven games our offense looks slower and uglier than it has since the Nelsen days. And not being able to have proper consistent build up play through the middle has had the collateral effect of putting a lot more pressure on our defense in bad areas. What the logic is in keeping this midfield right now the way it is is beyond me.

Bradley can't be the whole midfield. We already tried that last year. Asking him to be our Anchor and our main playmaker is impossible. Midfield of Bradley, Johnson, Cooper, Chapman is a lot better than what we put out yesterday. Until we change up the personnel in the diamond i'm not going to criticize Bradley. If we aren't playing those four in the diamond come playoffs, or if we don't switch up our tactics, I think the only game we might be able to win is Philly at home. Outside that I can't picture us winning a game.

jloome
10-17-2016, 03:02 PM
It'd be a lot easier for him if the midfielders in front of him had any clue how to work together. We need Johnson back healthy and in form, and Chapman needs to start playing again. We've played Osorio at the tip of the diamond for the last 7 consecutive games, and we have one win against Chicago to show for it. Granted, he's not the only reason we haven't been winning games; Delgado looks very tired almost all the time now, Switching Zavs and Hagglund in and out didn't do anything good for the backline, Beita's form is getting worse and worse, and we haven't had Seba. Even then, the last seven games our offense looks slower and uglier than it has since the Nelsen days. And not being able to have proper consistent build up play through the middle has had the collateral effect of putting a lot more pressure on our defense in bad areas. What the logic is in keeping this midfield right now the way it is is beyond me.

Bradley can't be the whole midfield. We already tried that last year. Asking him to be our Anchor and our main playmaker is impossible. Midfield of Bradley, Johnson, Cooper, Chapman is a lot better than what we put out yesterday. Until we change up the personnel in the diamond i'm not going to criticize Bradley. If we aren't playing those four in the diamond come playoffs, or if we don't switch up our tactics, I think the only game we might be able to win is Philly at home. Outside that I can't picture us winning a game.

The longer Bradley plays DM, the less I like him there. He's still a good player but he tries to force too much from too deep a position. he hasn't accepted that it's just an anchor role.

Having said that, it's too limiting for him anyway. he shouldn't be at the tip or the anchor, he should be one of the two two-way mids. Just because it isn't where he's traditionally been doesn't mean it doesn't play into his skillset; he passes well, most of the time, he tackles well, most of the time, he dribbles out of trouble, most of the time; he's not a specialist, he's just a really good all-rounder.

To me, that says play him two ways but stuck to one side, for discipline.

Based on performance this year overall, our lineup right now should probably be

-----------------Irwin-------------------
Beitashour--Zavaleta--Moor--Morrow

--------------Cheyrou--------------
----Bradley------------Cooper-------
-------------Chapman-----------------
---------Altidore---Seba--------------------

EDIT: And before anyone comments that Cheyrou doesn't have the legs: if you think an anchor needs the best wheels you really, really, really don't understand the position. It needs to be the person who can best read and react. And that's cheyrou, which is why he was so good there. He doesn't need wheels precisely because he doesn't have to go forward, if this is played right. It's a purely defensive/link position.

Further, based on wheels, ball handling skills and read of the game alone, this lineup should rip it up. Really.

ensco
10-17-2016, 04:27 PM
^I like that, but I would make Cooper the tip of the diamond and put Johnson in beside Bradley.

MightyDM
10-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Id put Oso in for Chapman. I know some on here are all over him for not scoring, but he is linking very very well and is strong defensively.

the one I am not sure about any more is Beita. Morrow has had an off year but seems to be coming round, Beita seems to be going the other way.

jloome
10-17-2016, 04:50 PM
^I like that, but I would make Cooper the tip of the diamond and put Johnson in beside Bradley.

Maybe, yeah. Johnson seems to have a lost a step of speed this year.

Interesting stats this week on mlssoccer.com

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/mls-statistical-leaders

MightyDM
10-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Besides, I don't think they are going to change Bradley's role now. Furthermore, the first goal was a simple error by Delgado, which doesn't indicate team weakness. They generally looked fairly solid both ways with Bradley at the base of a diamond.

i still like a 3-5-2 with these players but that's unlikely.

ensco
10-17-2016, 05:56 PM
The crazy idea I have is to play Xmas tree with Altodore up top, Cooper beside Gio, and Cheyrou between Bradley and Johnson

OgtheDim
10-17-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to process the 10 minutes there where we played with a recessed Seba in a 4-3-3. It was very effective but everybody was tiring so I am not sure that would be a good starting formation.

He played from where he wants to get the ball - on the left a bit back - and then charged at/passed through their defenders and mids.

I watch the second goal again and the work by Jozy and Seba is deep thinking magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auUcoPQHqvs

denime
10-18-2016, 06:08 AM
The crazy idea I have is to play Xmas tree with Altodore up top, Cooper beside Gio, and Cheyrou between Bradley and Johnson

Idea is good,but no Bradley,Champan if he is fit to play.

OgtheDim
10-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Um, people want to use Chapman instead of Bradley?

oooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Fort York Redcoat
10-18-2016, 07:23 AM
I'm trying to process the 10 minutes there where we played with a recessed Seba in a 4-3-3. It was very effective but everybody was tiring so I am not sure that would be a good starting formation.

He played from where he wants to get the ball - on the left a bit back - and then charged at/passed through their defenders and mids.

I watch the second goal again and the work by Jozy and Seba is deep thinking magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auUcoPQHqvs

I keep thinking how long before I get a kit with Ricketts on the back.:canada:

notthesun
10-18-2016, 02:09 PM
The longer Bradley plays DM, the less I like him there. He's still a good player but he tries to force too much from too deep a position. he hasn't accepted that it's just an anchor role.

Having said that, it's too limiting for him anyway. he shouldn't be at the tip or the anchor, he should be one of the two two-way mids. Just because it isn't where he's traditionally been doesn't mean it doesn't play into his skillset; he passes well, most of the time, he tackles well, most of the time, he dribbles out of trouble, most of the time; he's not a specialist, he's just a really good all-rounder.

Yeah, I've been increasingly thinking something like this over the past few weeks.

He's kind of too expensive to be playing DM. Not really because of the money itself, but because given the money we're spending on him, we should be trying to maximize his value. I think he's been a pretty good DM this year, but at the end of the day we're still paying a guy 6.5 million dollars to make tackles and play long balls.

Bradley has too many good offensive qualities to be nailed at DM. I've been saving the highlights of every TFC game to my hard drive for a long time now for easy access, and I was going through some from last year, and I was a bit surprised to see how much Bradley was involved in the games we won. I think a lot of people have forgotten how dynamic he can be in a box-to-box role. He killed us many times last year because he'd get caught up the field when we had no actual DM to cover, and our back line was garbage. But he was often really, really good at linking up in our build-up play, making driving runs, and delivering killer passes. For example:

His goal vs. New England (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjP6h5NkWk)
This game vs. Montreal where he was involved in every single chance we created (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23sC_Zf8Wg)
1st and 3rd goal vs. Orlando
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN2bsi_Xdl0)Both goals in the 2-1 win vs. Montreal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0tD8FEdrs)

I could go on. He was our 2nd most dangerous player last year in terms of xG+xA. Those numbers have tanked for him this year, no surprise given his new role. It's too much of a waste of his ability. With our back line now, and when playing an anchored DM, we could use him as a box-to-box player without constantly worrying about getting caught on the counter.

As far as who plays DM then, I'd be a little wary of playing Cheyrou there against counter-attack heavy teams. But with him likely leaving/retiring after this season, I don't see why Johnson couldn't play there. He has the work rate and defensive ability to be really effective. Sure, we'd lose a little passing range and he wouldn't be able to contribute offensively, but given the choice I'd rather have Bradley further forward than Johnson.

FRANKIE65
10-18-2016, 02:59 PM
I'll keep this short, and, sweet. Bradley is most effective when he plays his role, AND DOESN'T TRY TO DO TOO MUCH!! Unfortunately that last part is his biggest fault.

Is he worth the $'s he earns...hell no. Honestly I want him to succeed, but, I'm thinking it might be time for him to move on.

ensco
10-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Bradley is wasted in MLS.

Good box to box mids are system guys. They make systems work. That just doesn't describe MLS.

It's the Coopers and Gios that move the needle in MLS. Dallas has been the bellweather, they have had a series of creative mids. Valeri. Kljestan. dos Santos (Gerrard has really thrived in that role too).

eustacchio
10-18-2016, 04:08 PM
I keep thinking how long before I get a kit with Ricketts on the back.:canada:

I thought you bought one in 2008 - oh, a Canada jersey not TFC? :cool:

MightyDM
10-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I've been increasingly thinking something like this over the past few weeks.

He's kind of too expensive to be playing DM. Not really because of the money itself, but because given the money we're spending on him, we should be trying to maximize his value. I think he's been a pretty good DM this year, but at the end of the day we're still paying a guy 6.5 million dollars to make tackles and play long balls.

Bradley has too many good offensive qualities to be nailed at DM. I've been saving the highlights of every TFC game to my hard drive for a long time now for easy access, and I was going through some from last year, and I was a bit surprised to see how much Bradley was involved in the games we won. I think a lot of people have forgotten how dynamic he can be in a box-to-box role. He killed us many times last year because he'd get caught up the field when we had no actual DM to cover, and our back line was garbage. But he was often really, really good at linking up in our build-up play, making driving runs, and delivering killer passes. For example:

This game vs. Montreal where he was involved in every single chance we created (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j23sC_Zf8Wg)
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN2bsi_Xdl0)Both goals in the 2-1 win vs. Montreal (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0tD8FEdrs)

I could go on. He was our 2nd most dangerous player last year in terms of xG+xA. Those numbers have tanked for him this year, no surprise given his new role. It's too much of a waste of his ability. With our back line now, and when playing an anchored DM, we could use him as a box-to-box player without constantly worrying about getting caught on the counter.

As far as who plays DM then, I'd be a little wary of playing Cheyrou there against counter-attack heavy teams. But with him likely leaving/retiring after this season, I don't see why Johnson couldn't play there. He has the work rate and defensive ability to be really effective. Sure, we'd lose a little passing range and he wouldn't be able to contribute offensively, but given the choice I'd rather have Bradley further forward than Johnson.

those highlights are excellent. Its a shame that the diamond prevents Bradley from contributing more. Maybe a change of formation?

also interesting to see Giovinco's and Altidores touch in those videos - much better than against montreal on sunday. Rust? Rain? And Osorio looked very good in a lot of those highlights too.

Richard
10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Bradley is wasted in MLS.

Good box to box mids are system guys. They make systems work. That just doesn't describe MLS.

It's the Coopers and Gios that move the needle in MLS. Dallas has been the bellweather, they have had a series of creative mids. Valeri. Kljestan. dos Santos (Gerrard has really thrived in that role too).

This is exactly what I said when we got him, MLS was always going to be a strange fit with how specialized it is when it comes to player positions.

He either need to specialize as a DM or AM, as a DM he is overpaid but if we consistently played him further forward I could see him get 10G 10A a year.

Hamilton_Red
10-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Sorry could some one give some examples of Bradley's offensive qualities? He was the root cause of the second goal on Sunday when he tried to be a box to box midfielder and ran out of ideas giving the ball up on platter for a counter attack. His free kicks and corners are quite possibly the worst I've seen in MLS and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. I don't see any signs of captaincy - picking the team up and getting them fired up. Bradley's shooting from distance is akin to Osorio. A decent DM and he has shown in the past that he can play a lot better. My guess is that he has already decided to leave and that possibly other players know that. That would explain our late season malaise (which is not quite a collapse). The contenders for the MLS cup almost all won on Sunday - good teams win when they need to.

ag futbol
10-19-2016, 12:47 AM
This is exactly what I said when we got him, MLS was always going to be a strange fit with how specialized it is when it comes to player positions.

He either need to specialize as a DM or AM, as a DM he is overpaid but if we consistently played him further forward I could see him get 10G 10A a year.
I can't see MB specializing as an AM. Watch him in comparison to Cooper on the ball when deep in midfield. It's clear some things are missing.

We've purchased a luxury part in a league without room for luxuries. Dedicated AM and DM, no converts, is the way to go.

Ben - D.O.W.
10-19-2016, 11:15 AM
If MB leaves this off season and we pick up a stud AM with his DP spot/salary - would anyone be heartbroken? I know with Cheyrou being a question mark for next year and Bradley gone we'd need to address DM, but I'd still see that as a promising move.

molenshtain
10-19-2016, 11:33 AM
If MB leaves this off season and we pick up a stud AM with his DP spot/salary - would anyone be heartbroken? I know with Cheyrou being a question mark for next year and Bradley gone we'd need to address DM, but I'd still see that as a promising move.

I
I would. Chapman is a top tier homegrown prospect and this would cost him a ton of minutes and make him redundant. I'd prefer to keep Bradley where he is and upgrade the rest of our midfield. That's where the problem is.

burlington Red
10-19-2016, 12:14 PM

In MLS,a quality AM with a steady DM behind would shine better than what we have ie a quality DM with mediocre AM in front of him, imo.
I think regardless of Bradley staying or not, that role of attacking mid/playmaker has to be looked at and will be. I just feel with Bradley's wages of the bill it opens up a much bigger market to shop for one of higher quality.
The other question is does Bradley even want to stay, he hasn't said he wants to leave but certainly didn't shut down the rumour mill when he could have.It might well be, if we have a good run in the play offs, god forbid a really good run, that he can then leave, saying he did what he came for. All conjecture at this stage........

Ben - D.O.W.
10-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Chapman is a top tier homegrown prospect and this would cost him a ton of minutes and make him redundant.

You're completely right - I glossed over Chapman in my daydreams of how much more confident I'd be in this playoff run if we had someone supporting our forwards beyond Endoh whipping in ineffective crosses whenever a team bunkers like a boss AM. Although Cooper is showing things I like. I would like to see Chapman keep getting chances.

OgtheDim
10-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Somebody in that midfield has to be a goal scoring threat - right now, nobody is. Cooper might be that but until he starts to score, I prefer to remain unconvinced of his scoring touch. Too many times we've had guys who score everywhere but for TFC.

I was told Johnson is but I don't see it this season.

C.Ronaldo
10-19-2016, 03:53 PM

get rid of johnson and get another cheyrou when he retires. a version of cheyrou is exactly what we need, but healthy and a few years younger

C.Ronaldo
10-19-2016, 03:57 PM
In MLS,a quality AM with a steady DM behind would shine better than what we have ie a quality DM with mediocre AM in front of him, imo.
I think regardless of Bradley staying or not, that role of attacking mid/playmaker has to be looked at and will be. I just feel with Bradley's wages of the bill it opens up a much bigger market to shop for one of higher quality.
The other question is does Bradley even want to stay, he hasn't said he wants to leave but certainly didn't shut down the rumour mill when he could have.It might well be, if we have a good run in the play offs, god forbid a really good run, that he can then leave, saying he did what he came for. All conjecture at this stage........

he did do what he came for, he got Altidore a starting role for a ton of $

jloome
10-20-2016, 05:54 PM
Sorry could some one give some examples of Bradley's offensive qualities? He was the root cause of the second goal on Sunday when he tried to be a box to box midfielder and ran out of ideas giving the ball up on platter for a counter attack. His free kicks and corners are quite possibly the worst I've seen in MLS and nobody seems to want to do anything about it. I don't see any signs of captaincy - picking the team up and getting them fired up. Bradley's shooting from distance is akin to Osorio. A decent DM and he has shown in the past that he can play a lot better. My guess is that he has already decided to leave and that possibly other players know that. That would explain our late season malaise (which is not quite a collapse). The contenders for the MLS cup almost all won on Sunday - good teams win when they need to.

Well, he scored nineteen goals in one season in the Eredivisie. I imagine he has a few qualities.

Hamilton_Red
10-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Eredivisie was a long time ago -I thought he was brilliant two world cups ago as well. His offensive play has really declined - I'm afraid. Still a very good player given a clear role. It would seem to me that he hasn''t really had a settled role since prior to the Budesliga. He has never got close to the form he had with TFC on first half dozen games until his injury. Hasn''t been the same since.

Auzzy
10-28-2016, 08:29 AM
WhoScored.com MLS player rankings for the 2016 regular season are out. Giovinco at #1, with a significant gap to #2. Bradley at #8 league-wide, tied with 2016 Golden Boot winner Bradley Wright-Phillips.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/233/Tournaments/85/Seasons/6137/Stages/13276/PlayerStatistics/USA-Major-League-Soccer-2016

Hamilton_Red
10-28-2016, 09:15 AM
I've been a big critic of Bradley, I thought he has a very good game on wednesday (might have helped that Cooper started taking some of the deadballs.). But I was most impressed with the passion he played with and how clearly fired up he was. Thats infectious and that's what you want from your captain.

Red4ever
10-28-2016, 09:26 AM
A couple buddies from the UK (avid fans of EPL, Championship) watched their first MLS game and couldn't stop raving about how good Bradley is.

"Even the things he did wrong, you could see how smart he is"

IF he goes, we should be prepared for a drop off.

Hamilton_Red
10-28-2016, 09:52 AM
A couple buddies from the UK (avid fans of EPL, Championship) watched their first MLS game and couldn't stop raving about how good Bradley is.

errr.... I am from the UK. It doesn't make any of us expert by a long shot.

Red4ever
10-28-2016, 09:58 AM
errr.... I am from the UK. It doesn't make any of us expert by a long shot.

They could have been from Italy or Spain or Germany or or or

My point was that people who have watched footy their whole lives can see how skilled he is. The only people who seem to slag him are fans in the MLS bubble. Like every skilled player in the this league. He gets dragged down to a common denominator.

JoesphNdo
10-28-2016, 01:11 PM
They could have been from Italy or Spain or Germany or or or

My point was that people who have watched footy their whole lives can see how skilled he is. The only people who seem to slag him are fans in the MLS bubble. Like every skilled player in the this league. He gets dragged down to a common denominator.

I'm from Europe and have watched football my whole life, does that make my opinion more valid than anyone elses here!? I really don't think so...

Oldtimer
10-28-2016, 01:17 PM

The problem is that Bradley is inconsistent. We get "Good Bradley/Bad Bradley." "Bad Bradley" passes to the other team's attackers in our own half, is sloppy and positions poorly. An average MLS midfielder could do better than "Bad Bradley." "Good Bradley" on the other hand is dominant, reads the game very well, is focused, and makes amazing passes that lead to goals for us. "Good Bradley" showed up for our first home playoff match. He was very good and made a huge difference. That's who your friends saw. Let's hope that "Good Bradley" continues to show for the rest of the post-season.

Onyx
10-28-2016, 01:34 PM
I'll keep this short, and, sweet. Bradley is most effective when he plays his role, AND DOESN'T TRY TO DO TOO MUCH!! Unfortunately that last part is his biggest fault.

Is he worth the $'s he earns...hell no. Honestly I want him to succeed, but, I'm thinking it might be time for him to move on.

agree. He is taking up 475k of cap space and we could have two solid MLS starters for that, each playing 34 matches a year.

Red4ever
10-28-2016, 01:48 PM
I'm from Europe and have watched football my whole life, does that make my opinion more valid than anyone elses here!? I really don't think so...

I'm not gonna keep going with this, but I disagree.

I would say if you watched top quality football your whole life and grew up in a place where everyone knew how it was played and knew what to watch for, I would value your opinion more.

It sounds snooty, but so be it.

I will concede the point that he had a particularly good game on Wednesday. However, I have never seen him have a particularly bad game. Just average at points.

KGH
10-28-2016, 06:25 PM
agree. He is taking up 475k of cap space and we could have two solid MLS starters for that, each playing 34 matches a year.

Which 2 proven MLS starters could you get into the lineup for that?

Dub Narcotic
10-29-2016, 12:03 AM
whoscored has Bradley as the 8th best player in the league this year, BTW.

Hamilton_Red
10-30-2016, 08:28 PM
That might be Bradley's best performance for TFC. Briliant captains performance.

OgtheDim
10-30-2016, 09:30 PM
He was immense - a true DLPM with an engine that didn't stop.

MKR
10-30-2016, 10:00 PM
yeah he was amazing tonight. my choice for man of the match.

Jack
10-30-2016, 10:12 PM
He was immense.

SarniaTFC
10-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Now that's a captain playoff performance! He was absolutely fantastic in the middle of the park!

ensco
01-12-2017, 11:45 AM
Bradley at camp. Nothing TFC related, but Arena confirms bradley's USMNT leadership role

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/01/12/michael-bradley-disappointed-fathers-firing-focused-usmnt

OgtheDim
02-24-2017, 07:49 PM
Bradley done it again

This time quotes Teddy Roosevelt

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/835275728795099139

Hamilton_Red
02-24-2017, 07:55 PM
That's awesome - well done Michael Bradley! :yesnod:

Richard
02-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Can they impeach that donkey of a president already?

ensco
02-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Bradley has found an incredible quote. Bravo.

My FB and twitter feeds are full of US political stuff, but this one is new to me.

notthesun
02-25-2017, 12:57 AM
Have to respect Bradley for making his feelings known, and with conviction, when the far safer and more usual thing to do would be to ignore everything and just play soccer. Respect.

jloome
02-25-2017, 01:03 AM
Bradley has found an incredible quote. Bravo.

My FB and twitter feeds are full of US political stuff, but this one is new to me.

And then he said this today about being in TO:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/24/smorgasborg-ccl-honda-talk-and-bradleys-connection-tfc-supporters

boozilla
02-25-2017, 02:07 AM
Well done General. This helps to erase that penalty (pass to Frei) memory.

dupont
05-29-2017, 12:35 AM
Is this my first thread? Who knows.

I just wanted to say and want everyone to know that Michael Bradley is my favourite player on TFC.

My reasons are that he has more skill than 95% of MLS, tries harder than everyone and is more committed to this team than even we are!

I just love him and even though he doesn't care about getting accolades, I really believe that he is our most reliable player.

Brooker
05-29-2017, 01:36 AM
https://68.media.tumblr.com/8bcba61cfc79fb1cdcc5e2639061ce5f/tumblr_ofq4oizmyd1u0shrfo2_r1_540.gif

We've got Bradley.... Michael Bradley
I just don't think you understand.
He's super Vanney's man, he's better than Zidane....
We've got Michael Bradley!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee've got Bradley! Michael Bradley
I just don't think you understand.
He's super Vanney's man, he's better than Zidane....
We've got Michael Bradley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjP6h5NkWk

molenshtain
05-29-2017, 01:56 AM
I think there's already a thread so mods feel free to merge.

Otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree. He's the perfect captain, leader and general in midfield. He clearly loves the city and the fans and has a personal bond with us. He drives everyone on the team to be better and settle for nothing. He's probably the best CM in the league and I have no idea where'd we be without him. The last game I tried to imagine how good we'd be if we had not even an average MLS dm in his place, but if we had somoene like Will Trapp or Ozzie Alonso or Sam Cronin in his place. We'd be nowhere near as dominant.

Bradley will be the first true legend this team has. One of the stands at BMO will be named after him within 30 years.

Jack
05-29-2017, 03:50 PM
Agreed. Love him.

PawTar711
05-30-2017, 12:47 AM
I think Michael Bradley is an amazing, if not the best midfielder Toronto FC has ever had, I think his ability to control midfield, always be where the ball is supposed to be, and follow, provide possession, provide passing to the proper people at the right time, the only thing he hasn't done yet is provide headers.

ensco
06-12-2017, 06:33 AM
In front of 100,000 people at the Azteca last night.

Discuss.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/michael-bradley-long-distance-goal-mexico-2017-6

Initial B
06-12-2017, 07:10 AM
What's to discuss? That was awesome to hear the Azteca hushed. :)

Section_105
06-12-2017, 08:00 AM
In front of 100,000 people at the Azteca last night.

Discuss.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/michael-bradley-long-distance-goal-mexico-2017-6

as Ray Hudson would say, "Golazo-azo-azo whoooooo"

Detroit_TFC
06-12-2017, 08:11 AM
I thought all game, well, if the US lose, we'll still have that MB goal. And then he nearly did got another one, but pinged off the frame. Only if...

Detroit_TFC
06-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Also - important to note that USMNT have scored a total of six goals at Azteca, ever. The last one was in 2012.

C.Ronaldo
06-12-2017, 08:32 AM
to read the play like that, then finish it off.

wow

Jack
06-12-2017, 08:41 AM
The thing that impresses me, apart from the obviously brilliant finish, is the first touch to get into space beyond their central midfielder. He was two steps ahead right from the moment they made the pass he intercepted. It was a great play before he even got to the point of shooting.

Canary10
06-12-2017, 08:58 AM
It seems as though our two TFC American internationals don't get a lot of respect with American soccer fans (at least if Twitter is at all representative, lol). Coincidence?

C.Ronaldo
06-12-2017, 09:07 AM
AND, we are damn lucky to have him as our captain.

Canary10
06-12-2017, 09:13 AM
AND, we are damn lucky to have him as our captain.

Totally. Although even here he gets criticized more than I'd think. On this board it's not unusual to see someone saying we should get rid of him and use that money elsewhere. I don't think everyone totally understands how important it is to have his steel in the middle of the pitch. He really holds the whole team together.

TFC1154ever
06-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Anyone who says we should get rid of him, or we could get someone better doesn't understand the game at all. He was our best player in the playoffs last year. Guy is a freak of nature. People forget this guy started on a top serie a team. One of the best players the US has produced in the last 20 years.

OgtheDim
06-12-2017, 10:48 AM
It seems as though our two TFC American internationals don't get a lot of respect with American soccer fans (at least if Twitter is at all representative, lol). Coincidence?

There is a significant portion of USMNT twitterland that sees MLS as a mistake for Bradley and Altidore. When you try explaining to them what working with Seba and Vasquez does for them, their eyes glaze over.

Derko
06-12-2017, 05:18 PM
There is a significant portion of USMNT twitterland that sees MLS as a mistake for Bradley and Altidore. When you try explaining to them what working with Seba and Vasquez does for them, their eyes glaze over.

In one word, Daft

Richard
06-12-2017, 05:37 PM
All that's missing is this game call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjY3l4RjLN4

Magnificent goal!

ensco
06-12-2017, 07:35 PM
I love the crowd reaction to that goal last night. They all throw their hands up close to their heads, in unison.

Section_105
06-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Magnificent goal! that made my f**ken day. I love passionate calls like that and the Lex Luthor bit caused me to bust out laughing at the office. good thing they are all footy fans here.

ensco
06-05-2018, 08:47 AM
Mostly about other things, but some interesting sour grapes about Bradley in here.

I don’t buy it re Michael, but worth reading

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/17428184/2018-world-cup-us-soccer-inside-story-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

samuraizero
06-07-2018, 02:18 PM
Mostly about other things, but some interesting sour grapes about Bradley in here.

I don’t buy it re Michael, but worth reading

https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/17428184/2018-world-cup-us-soccer-inside-story-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

Interesting read - gives plebs like me an (assumed accurate-ish) view of the US soccer system.

FootBallAZ
06-07-2018, 03:02 PM

Magnificent goal!

Lol amazing. Lol lex luthor. But the screams were insane lol

Richard
02-28-2019, 08:22 PM
With Jozy being signed you have to think Bradley is next.

I hope Bradley stays and retires as a red. :hump:

Hamilton_Red
02-28-2019, 09:40 PM
Me too - I was pretty critical of Bradley during the Bloody Big Deal season...but I grew to appreciate him more when he didn't try to do everything.

I'd extend his DP deal by a couple of years and offer a TAM season & then a transition into a coaching role.

Shway
03-01-2019, 12:42 AM
He needs to be a TAM player asap. If he continues to be a DP after this year, we won't be competive.

DinamoTFC
03-01-2019, 01:15 PM
He needs to be a TAM player asap. If he continues to be a DP after this year, we won't be competive.

100%

Captain
03-01-2019, 02:07 PM
I'd be good with one more DP year added on to this one and then a couple TAM years.

Oldtimer
08-12-2019, 03:17 AM
There seems to be an issue with the team not playing with the same energy that they used to. People are wondering if it's the coach, the personnel, or what.

Given that Michael was the heart of the team's work rate in the past, I'm wondering if his contract situation is affecting his attitude and consequently the attitude of the team.

It's obvious by now that the team has not picked up his option year, or it would have been announced. My gut feeling is that they made him a lowball offer like they did Giovinco and he's not biting.

I expect him to leave at the end of the season to go play for his dad. He's not going to sign a TAM deal for TFC. While he's a professional in every sense of the word and won't force a transfer like Seba did, it's gotta affect his energy and desire.

OgtheDim
08-12-2019, 05:35 AM
LAFC don't have a DP slot open.

Oldtimer
08-12-2019, 06:43 AM
LAFC don't have a DP slot open.

Brian Rodriguez is a 19 yo "young DP" signing with interest from Europe. You sign someone like him to develop, showcase, and resell. I can easily see him transferred out next year leaving room for Michael. In the meantime they have Rodriguez's services.

mastermixer
08-12-2019, 07:08 AM
There seems to be an issue with the team not playing with the same energy that they used to. People are wondering if it's the coach, the personnel, or what.

Given that Michael was the heart of the team's work rate in the past, I'm wondering if his contract situation is affecting his attitude and consequently the attitude of the team.

It's obvious by now that the team has not picked up his option year, or it would have been announced. My gut feeling is that they made him a lowball offer like they did Giovinco and he's not biting.

I expect him to leave at the end of the season to go play for his dad. He's not going to sign a TAM deal for TFC. While he's a professional in every sense of the word and won't force a transfer like Seba did, it's gotta affect his energy and desire.

I get the feeling he's checked out... he always had heartfelt post game interviews after every game, whether the team played good or bad, and I could be wrong but I haven't seen one in a few weeks.

ensco
08-12-2019, 09:16 AM
Michael has made $36M here and will therefore be a highly unusual free agent. The difference between what teams might offer him will have negligible impact on his net worth. Paying top dollar won't matter.

The LAFC stuff seems unlikely to me. Seems like a misread of the guy. Guys like Bradley want to compete with their Dad, not play for their Dad (and this is what made him great in big games btw)

I highly doubt Bradley will be a DP anywhere. But if he has to be a TAM player, I bet he leaves, he is much more likely to do that for a US based team, maybe somewhere where he can start building roots for his life after his playing days. That could be anywhere, and frankly a ton of teams could use the name recognition of Bradley more than LAFC would. Although if his wife loves Toronto, then he will maybe stay. But she is not from here, so I highly doubt that. I think he is 100% gone, he knows it, and that's what we are seeing.

Much more likely that he winds up in Columbus (probably my best guess - Bez needs to do something, and Columbus is a big USMNT town), Chicago or Philadelphia, than LAFC. I would also keep an eye on Seattle. This would be right up their alley (kind of like what they did with Chad Marshall). A good longshot bet is Michael going to Seattle now, before the deadline, imho.

Wild ass guess - I bet his next deal includes a path to management. That is I suspect what he is thinking about. Kind of like what Rooney just did.

Oldtimer
08-12-2019, 09:19 AM
No matter where he ends up, if he's checked out that would explain the change in this team.

stegosaurus
08-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Michael has made $36M here and will therefore be a highly unusual free agent. The difference between what teams might offer him will have negligible impact on his net worth. Paying top dollar won't matter.

The LAFC stuff seems unlikely to me. Seems like a misread of the guy. Guys like Bradley want to compete with their Dad, not play for their Dad (and this is what made him great in big games btw)

I highly doubt Bradley will be a DP anywhere. But if he has to be a TAM player, I bet he leaves, he is much more likely to do that for a US based team, maybe somewhere where he can start building roots for his life after his playing days. That could be anywhere, and frankly a ton of teams could use the name recognition of Bradley more than LAFC would. Although if his wife loves Toronto, then he will maybe stay. But she is not from here, so I highly doubt that. I think he is 100% gone, he knows it, and that's what we are seeing.

Much more likely that he winds up in Columbus (probably my best guess - Bez needs to do something, and Columbus is a big USMNT town), Chicago or Philadelphia, than LAFC. I would also keep an eye on Seattle. This would be right up their alley (kind of like what they did with Chad Marshall). A good longshot bet is Michael going to Seattle now, before the deadline, imho.

Wild ass guess - I bet his next deal includes a path to management. That is I suspect what he is thinking about. Kind of like what Rooney just did.

Imagining a multi-millionaire name-brand (for America, at least in terms of hatred for him) deciding to head for his settle down years in Columbus is pretty funny.

Rooney’s wife: DC is too far from Ibiza. Let’s move back to England.

Bradley’s wife: Let’s spend the twilight of your career somewhere nice... like Columbus, OH.

Areathrasher
08-12-2019, 10:54 AM
The deadline has passed. He aint going anywhere else in MLS this season.

OgtheDim
08-12-2019, 11:07 AM
I highly doubt Bradley will be a DP anywhere. ...

Columbus, DCU, Nashville, Chicago, Cinci, Philly, Houston, SKC, Colorado, RSL - all of these teams would make him a DP (above TAM level) & be better teams for it. He is highly respected by GM's in this league.

Ultra & Proud
08-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Columbus, DCU, Nashville, Chicago, Cinci, Philly, Houston, SKC, Colorado, RSL - all of these teams would make him a DP (above TAM level) & be better teams for it. He is highly respected by GM's in this league.
Chicago stands out on that list. I could see that from both sides.

Ossington Mental Youth
08-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Guys like Bradley want to compete with their Dad, not play for their Dad (and this is what made him great in big games btw)

I .

This right here. Why I see him taking a pay cut and trying to stay on as a coach at some point

anto7
08-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Maybe he becomes our new player/coach next year

Oldtimer
08-12-2019, 04:08 PM
I think he's out the door. If not LA, anywhere else that will pay him.

MightyDM
08-12-2019, 09:19 PM
I think he's out the door. If not LA, anywhere else that will pay him.

No. Somewhere with ambition.

Oldtimer
08-13-2019, 05:32 AM

Same place. If they have ambition they would pay for a Michael Bradley.

stegosaurus
08-13-2019, 05:55 AM

I could see him winding up at a team currently in the basement to provide a leadership role.

Most markets would see backlash from their fanbase though, given their attitude towards him in the States as the architect of the T&T debacle.

jloome
08-13-2019, 10:47 PM
I could see him winding up at a team currently in the basement to provide a leadership role.

Most markets would see backlash from their fanbase though, given their attitude towards him in the States as the architect of the T&T debacle.

There's some question as to whether he's the guy for that. Jesse Marsch said when he played with him that Bradley was the supreme competitor and the toughest guy to play against, but he wasn't a leader. He wasn't a motivator; he was an example to follow but he didn't have a personality that spoke to everyone in the locker room.

portu
08-13-2019, 11:53 PM
[/B]

NEWS: Vanney leaves club, Bradley to take over as manager...

Is something I could see happening

Oldtimer
08-14-2019, 05:53 AM
NEWS: Vanney leaves club, Bradley to take over as manager...

Is something I could see happening

I couldn't personally.

I think Curtis already has someone to call on as his preferred Vanney replacement.

Bradley is gone after this season, the club and he know that.

Hamilton_Red
08-14-2019, 01:03 PM
I couldn't personally.

I think Curtis already has someone to call on as his preferred Vanney replacement.

I think Bradley has 3 more years in him. He’ll be looking for a DP role for 1 or 2 and a TAM season on the end...support to do his coaching badges. It possible that could work as a plan to replace Vanney. But that means Vanney has it in his head to leave at some point.

Most probably you are right that they don’t want to renew...it would have happened by now if he did. The weird thing is the option year if we win the MLS Cup.

MightyDM
08-16-2019, 07:55 AM
Same place. If they have ambition they would pay for a Michael Bradley.

When you put it that way, agreed

MightyDM
08-16-2019, 07:57 AM
I couldn't personally.

You are quite probably right. And so will Vanney be gone. “Mutual” ( like they do in the UK)

And then we are into the Manning Curtis era. Based on actions so far, I have no confidence whatsoever in that duo.

Oldtimer
08-16-2019, 08:42 AM
You are quite probably right. And so will Vanney be gone. “Mutual” ( like they do in the UK)

And then we are into the Manning Curtis era. Based on actions so far, I have no confidence whatsoever in that duo.

The "success" of the Argos ought to give one pause about Manning's ability to put in place a winning team. He's no Leiweke.

As far as Curtis goes, the emphasis will shift to more economical signings. He'll try to keep Michael Bradley if he can get him cheap (and will be forced to keep him if TFC wins the MLS Cup) but I think that's unlikely. Michael will go.

Soccer Mum
08-16-2019, 08:47 AM
The Manning-Curtis era, yet another dark stain on the history of TFC.

OgtheDim
08-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Wow...tough room tonight.

About Curtis - can really only be judged on the summer signing season. Poz happened (wobbles & discussions sure but still) under his watch. Boyd might be on him. Everything else is still an unknown.

I still put most of what has happened since Marky missed that shot down to Bez & our defence.

Manning? As a President, team is better run behind the scenes & the atmosphere is better & the experience is better. I betya $ / butt is higher then its ever been, across all sections.

But we ain't Houston.

JT Red127
08-16-2019, 09:07 AM
LOL no kidding tough room, its hilarious to read some of it. Manning, the president of the club when we went to back to back MLS cup finals, and a champions league final. Who I'd say has clearly shown this year is not going to cut salaries. This isn't the Blue Jays. Curtis, too early to make a strong judgement if you're being fair. Need to see what happens with the guys he just brought in, and how the off season goes for him. Talk to me in a year about Curtis.

MightyDM
08-16-2019, 09:33 AM
Wow...tough room tonight.

About Curtis - can really only be judged on the summer signing season. Poz happened (wobbles & discussions sure but still) under his watch. Boyd might be on him. Everything else is still an unknown.

I still put most of what has happened since Marky missed that shot down to Bez & our defence.

Manning? As a President, team is better run behind the scenes & the atmosphere is better & the experience is better. I betya $ / butt is higher then its ever been, across all sections.

But we ain't Houston.

I dunno OG. Not sure why you say things are better behind the scenes - not evident to me (I don't say it isn't, i just don't see it).

what I do see: disastrous (and naive) handling of the contract of the best player in MLS history (looked and sounded completely caught off guard); losing Bez (looked and sounded caught off guard); a poor record of signings in his era (including the fact that we should have brought in Gallardo and Benezet in the first window - or players like them); little touches at the game that make it more corporate - like telling us what to do with the pregame introductions; the anthem not always sung by us unaided, etc; the north end feeling like it is permanently under construction which totally distracts from the atmosphere and is embarrassing on TV; saying "we are going to change the stadium so it feels more like an argos stadium" (tin ear). I am told he is very smart and very honourable; but all of these things, big and little, don't give me confidence and should worry all of us.

MightyDM
08-16-2019, 09:40 AM
LOL no kidding tough room, its hilarious to read some of it. Manning, the president of the club when we went to back to back MLS cup finals, and a champions league final. Who I'd say has clearly shown this year is not going to cut salaries. This isn't the Blue Jays. Curtis, too early to make a strong judgement if you're being fair. Need to see what happens with the guys he just brought in, and how the off season goes for him. Talk to me in a year about Curtis.

Manning inherited those teams, although fair enough, he did oversee some good acquisitions - but also some weird departures (Beita, Hasler for example) - that seemed to show poor talent evaluation at the time.

JT Red127
08-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Manning inherited those teams, although fair enough, he did oversee some good acquisitions - but also some weird departures (Beita, Hasler for example) - that seemed to show poor talent evaluation at the time.

Manning is president, those player moves were Bez. With Manning you gotta be looking at how much is the club spending? and things like fan relations. Manning is the guy approving spending on guys like Pozo, but moves like Beita I'd guess he had very litle to do with. He's been here since what, 2015? I'm sure he deserves much criticism.

MightyDM
08-16-2019, 10:05 AM
I wasn't giving him credit for 2017 so my criticisms were a little one sided, but he did look blindsided by both Bez and Seba, and doesn't seem to have been able to oversee a rebirth from the team he inherited to a rejuvenated one. Plus this year has been a shambles - and they had all of last year to transition.

Lil'John
10-18-2019, 06:17 PM
I take Michael on a non-DP deal, and he could phase out and Liam Fraser phase in over the next year or two.
I also think his replacing Vanney is not a crazy idea. He should make a good coach.

OgtheDim
10-18-2019, 07:48 PM
I take Michael on a non-DP deal, and he could phase out and Liam Fraser phase in over the next year or two.
I also think his replacing Vanney is not a crazy idea. He should make a good coach.

Westberg will make a good one too.

Lil'John
10-18-2019, 09:02 PM
And Benoit Cheyrou maybe?

portu
10-19-2019, 05:17 AM
Michael has to be the best signing this club could have ever made.

Bushmancan
10-19-2019, 08:38 AM
[/B]

Agreed and we would be crazy not to give him that path... that's how traditions and franchises build.

COYRs :scarf:

Oldtimer
10-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Agreed and we would be crazy not to give him that path... that's how traditions and franchises build.

COYRs :scarf:

The first losing strike he'd have, people would be attacking Curtis for hiring someone without first team coaching experience, everyone will be focused on how the USMNT never won the WC with Bradley in the lineup, #bradleyout will be trending on twitter, and people will be angry that MLSE didn't somehow convince an EPL coach to come here.

If I was Bradley looking at the abuse an MLS Cup winning coach like Vanney has had here I'd run for the hills rather than take such an offer, if TFC ever made one like that.

ensco
10-20-2019, 05:35 PM
So now we know, that was Bradley's last home game pre free agency. Unless we win MLS Cup.

MightyDM
10-20-2019, 05:51 PM
he sure didn't sound like someone who is leaving, in his post game comments .

red-o
10-20-2019, 07:01 PM
If I was Bradley looking at the abuse an MLS Cup winning coach like Vanney has had here I'd run for the hills rather than take such an offer, if TFC ever made one like that.
I just don’t see Bradley being afraid of some “abuse”

ensco
10-20-2019, 07:20 PM
Bradley has made $36M over the last 6 years. He is not going to go for top dollar.

Respect, long term opportunity, and the long term interest and happiness of his family, are going to be amongst the biggest factors here.

By long term opportunity I mean “where he can make progress on setting up his post playing day’s management career...”

Oldtimer
10-20-2019, 07:44 PM
he sure didn't sound like someone who is leaving, in his post game comments .

There was an article in the Athletic quoting him as wanting to stay. We'll see what Curtis thinks about it soon enough (unless TFC wins the MLS Cup, in which case he gets one more year as DP).

Laiping
10-20-2019, 07:51 PM
TFC should resign Michael Bradley!

portu
10-21-2019, 12:46 AM
Two year max TAM deal would be more than fine by me.

Mikmacdo
10-21-2019, 06:23 AM
How much tam does TFC have left?

ensco
10-21-2019, 06:37 AM

Agree. I would even go three years. But if he's a DP, it's a serious mistake.

Gazza
10-21-2019, 06:44 AM
The Manning-Curtis era, yet another dark stain on the history of TFC.

It's like 2007 - 2015 never happened.

Gazza
10-21-2019, 06:46 AM
Bradley has made $36M over the last 6 years. He is not going to go for top dollar.

Respect, long term opportunity, and the long term interest and happiness of his family, are going to be amongst the biggest factors here.

By long term opportunity I mean “where he can make progress on setting up his post playing day’s management career...”

He can always go for top dollar on a retirement contract and be welcomed back in this city with open arms for the next stage of his family's life.

David_Oliveira
10-21-2019, 06:47 AM
From his interview with the athletic, it seems it's going to be TAM. When it was brought up to him, he said he would "Absolutely" sign a TAM deal. I think the only reason it's not done yet is because he has an automatic clause that gets triggered if we win MLS Cup

jabbronies
10-21-2019, 09:57 AM
From his interview with the athletic, it seems it's going to be TAM. When it was brought up to him, he said he would "Absolutely" sign a TAM deal. I think the only reason it's not done yet is because he has an automatic clause that gets triggered if we win MLS Cup

It's probably not done yet because the CBA is about to renew and the concept of "TAM" may change

David_Oliveira
10-21-2019, 11:45 AM
It's probably not done yet because the CBA is about to renew and the concept of "TAM" may change

Great point. I didn't even think of that. It will probably slow in terms of signings until it is ratified

trane
10-24-2019, 03:51 PM
I think we need him to stay but we also need a replacement for him at CDM. He is the key to the system of play. If goes we will likely have to bring another DP to fill the role.

James17930
10-24-2019, 06:57 PM
I think we need him to stay but we also need a replacement for him at CDM. He is the key to the system of play. If goes we will likely have to bring another DP to fill the role.

We have Fraser.

Brooker
10-24-2019, 08:22 PM
We have Fraser.

Lol Fraser as our general. Makes me nervous ATM.

He has much to learn from Bradley over the next 2 years (preferably). He's only played 19 league games.

If the hype is to be believed, let them work together.

jabbronies
10-24-2019, 08:26 PM
We have Fraser.

Seriously stop with this. How are you going to ask a kid to step into a role like that Full time with barely no experience.

he's not going to be the number 1 guy for at least two seasons

Brooker
10-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Seriously stop with this. How are you going to ask a kid to step into a role like that Full time with barely no experience.

he's not going to be the number 1 guy for at least two seasons

If he wasn't from Toronto would we be having this conversation? I want nothing than to see him succeed but people need to slow down.

OgtheDim
10-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Fraser currently requires support as a CM. He's no destroyer. (And, yes, I was at the Canada / US game - he was surrounded by defensively sound mids)

notthesun
10-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Fraser is 100% ready to share CM duties with Bradley, or Delgado, or whoever. 100%.

We need to give him 17 starts next year - half the season - at a bare minimum.

Ultra & Proud
10-24-2019, 09:19 PM
Fraser is 100% ready to share CM duties with Bradley, or Delgado, or whoever. 100%.

As we plan on playing, no. Too slow.

Ultra & Proud
10-24-2019, 09:30 PM
But that also depends on the guy this thread is about. If he leaves then all open for Fraser depending on CBA.

notthesun
10-24-2019, 09:42 PM
As we plan on playing, no. Too slow.

He's really no slower than Bradley these days. And he actually plays faster on the ball - he favours playing progressive passes, forward seam passes, more often than Bradley does. If we're trying to attack quickly after recovering the ball, that's his strength.

Look, you don't improve by sitting on the bench. We're all living in a fantasy if we think he can keep getting like 8 starts a year and then in 2 or 3 years he'll magically be ready to be our #1 DM.

Auzzy
10-25-2019, 04:16 AM
Fraser definitely has to play somewhere, Toronto or elsewhere. I think he has really improved his defensive side as well. He's ready to share the load and even to get stints in a bigger role.

I have no idea how Vanney and Co will orchestrate this. It's tied to Bradley's contract; question of captaincy; and much more. Plus I feel that our defensive midfield play has rarely been strong enough in 2018 and 2019 to adequately shield our defense in games where that was needed.

Oldtimer
10-25-2019, 06:20 AM

If TFC plays Fraser 17+ times benching Bradley and we miss the 2020 playoffs as a result, would that be acceptable short term pain for long term gain?

ensco
10-25-2019, 06:30 AM
It doesn’t have to be Bradley that makes room for Fraser. It could be Delgado. Lots of formations work with 2 DMs, the 3-5-2 obviously for one.

OgtheDim
10-25-2019, 06:47 AM
I don't see Vanney going back to the 3-5-2 - even less of a chance doing so just to give Fraser somewhere to play.

The 4-3-3 midfield Vanney really wants to play is a DM with 2 attack minded mids - that's Bradley with Oso & Poz. I think that's coming next season when Poz has had a few months rest & can refocus on his defensive capabilities (he can play defensively - he's just so knackered, asking him to track back is wasting his valuable energy reserves)

The bigger question for me is if we free up a DP slot, what's the next DP focus? I suspect its outside attack, probably on the right, with somebody willing to put in the dirty work defensively. Suks to be Gallardo, Endoh & DeLeon but that's the logical place.

DavemTFC
10-25-2019, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure a Bradley-Fraser partnership works since neither of them can cover much ground. It's too bad because I like Fraser's game a lot and he deserves to be playing more

jabbronies
10-25-2019, 09:28 AM
TFC brass isn't as dumb as people think. They know what they have with Fraser and they know how to develop a player like him. They will find a space on the Roster for him and give him the minutes he needs to progress to a full time starter.

With that being said - it ain't happening next year. He may find his way into more starting minutes towards the end of the year, but he won't be a full time starter until at least 2021 when he will be an over the hill 23 YEAR OLD!! <---- SARCASM He's not fucking old so stop worry about him not getting minutes and moving to Real Madrid (Over exaggeration) to find playing time...

Canary10
10-25-2019, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure a Bradley-Fraser partnership works since neither of them can cover much ground. It's too bad because I like Fraser's game a lot and he deserves to be playing more

Umm, Bradley literally covers more ground than almost any other player in the world.

notthesun
10-25-2019, 11:42 AM
We started Delgado 19 times in 2015 when he was 20. Then 23 times when he was 21, then we won the Cup with him being a key piece of our midfield.

What I'm suggesting - starting 17 times, half the season - is perfectly in line with Fraser's talent level and development curve. This is the age when you start pushing young players into bigger roles, otherwise they never become good enough to occupy them.

DavemTFC
10-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Umm, Bradley literally covers more ground than almost any other player in the world.
A few years ago maybe but not now

Canary10
10-25-2019, 12:49 PM
A few years ago maybe but not now

If you think people cover less ground in their early 30s than mid-20s you need to google Eliud Kipchoge.

jabbronies
10-25-2019, 01:54 PM
We started Delgado 19 times in 2015 when he was 20. Then 23 times when he was 21, then we won the Cup with him being a key piece of our midfield.

What I'm suggesting - starting 17 times, half the season - is perfectly in line with Fraser's talent level and development curve. This is the age when you start pushing young players into bigger roles, otherwise they never become good enough to occupy them.

That could very well happen - but it won't happen with him being a Bradley replacement. He'll play alongside Bradley for most of those games.

Delgado had very, very experienced guys around him and he played well. Last season and early into this season - without that experience around him, he played very very poorly. He also wasn't the leader of a midfield full of vets, which is what would be asked of from Fraser.

trane
10-25-2019, 02:07 PM
If he is the future, and I like what I have seen. He needs more playing time, soon.

If you have good vision and a good sense of good defensive positioning, you do not need to be fast, but fit, and on the move all the time, so that you are in the position were play is moving too, and not chasing after it.

That is what Bradley does, he may not be fast, but he is fit and is always moving to the right areas, where he intercept the ball make the tackle, and then using the same vision, move up into space and deliver the ball to the right space/player.

Bradley does this all very well, and this play is key too both the defensive and offensive play of the team.

Speed is not key, but vision, defensive awareness and passing ability , fitness as well as good physicality and tackling ability are. Some of it you cen develop in training of the gym, but most of these need to be developed on the pitch.

Mikmacdo
10-25-2019, 07:29 PM
So bradley cant be kept on tam because hes not a new acquisition, it has to be gam. I wonder how much gam tfc has?

anto7
10-25-2019, 07:49 PM
I think it would be so “fuckin” awesome if we end up winning MLS cup and TFC have to sign Michael to another year at 6.5 million, and somewhat ironical too given all the speculation about if he will stay next year. Yes it would prevent us from getting a new DP but could anyone say they would give up winning MLS cup for that?

SoccMan2
10-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Michael Bradley seems to be in that zone again, he seems to be the Michael Bradley of 2017 when he was the heart and soul of this team. If he continues playing like this there is no reason why TFC can’t win the MLS Cup again. He seems to be everywhere on the field breaking up plays and then starting plays just like in 2017, this team in these playoffs will go as far as Michael Bradley wants them to go, when he is on there is no one in this league like him not even close he is the heart and soul of this team and I’m glad he is playing on our team .

Hamilton_Red
10-26-2019, 02:21 AM
Totally agree - if Bradley gets his extension by powering this team to another MLS Cup... then all power to him. He is already a TFC legend..if he does that... how could anyone complain.

Oldtimer
10-26-2019, 09:03 AM
Michael Bradley seems to be in that zone again, he seems to be the Michael Bradley of 2017 when he was the heart and soul of this team. If he continues playing like this there is no reason why TFC can’t win the MLS Cup again. He seems to be everywhere on the field breaking up plays and then starting plays just like in 2017, this team in these playoffs will go as far as Michael Bradley wants them to go, when he is on there is no one in this league like him not even close he is the heart and soul of this team and I’m glad he is playing on our team .

He seems completely focused and driven, and you can see that rubbing off on the other players. It's why he's captain.

Just the will to win is enough to drive him to that goal, although I can think of 6.5 million other reasons to want the Cup :D, I'm sure that helps.

Defoe
10-26-2019, 01:05 PM
I think it would be so “fuckin” awesome if we end up winning MLS cup and TFC have to sign Michael to another year at 6.5 million, and somewhat ironical too given all the speculation about if he will stay next year. Yes it would prevent us from getting a new DP but could anyone say they would give up winning MLS cup for that?

Or we set up a deal of DP TO TAM.

Bradley deal

Year 1: 5 million (DP)
Year 2: 1.5 million (TAM/GAM)
year 3: 1.5 million (TAM/GAM)
Avg = 2.66 million

Then we find a DP winger/ striker on loan, with the option to buy a year later. ie: Pavon. So the transfer fee doesn't kick in until year 2.

Year 1: 1.5 million (TAM)
Year 2: 6.0 million (DP) + Now we pick up the option to purchase the player ie: 10 million. Bradley is now a non DP at this point.
year 3: 5.0 million (DP)
Year 4: 4.0 million (DP)

This way we basically get 4 DP level players. Not sure the granular details but the league is definitely making something work with Galaxy and Zlatan, Pavon, Alessandrini and Dos Santos

DavemTFC
10-28-2019, 07:38 AM
If you think people cover less ground in their early 30s than mid-20s you need to google Eliud Kipchoge.

I'm late with this but Bradley having lost a step in the last couple of years is something I've seen others write/talk about a lot in TFC and US circles (the latter you can probably take with a serving of salt in fairness). I should probably specify that the big issue with him is more his defensive range than anything. From having watched him transition to a DM over the past few years he tends to mostly stay positioned deep and central and every once in a while make an explosive run forward, usually after stealing the ball, sometimes even just to press. But overall his running is more offence-based and he doesn't run around the whole game like he used to or like Delgado or Tyler Adams or Kante do now

So I still think defensively a Bradley-Fraser midfield gets overrun without a Delgado-like presence in there, but that would mean no Osorio or Pozuelo in their natural position in a 4-3-3

James17930
10-28-2019, 06:19 PM
I'm late with this but Bradley having lost a step in the last couple of years is something I've seen others write/talk about a lot in TFC and US circles (the latter you can probably take with a serving of salt in fairness). I should probably specify that the big issue with him is more his defensive range than anything. From having watched him transition to a DM over the past few years he tends to mostly stay positioned deep and central and every once in a while make an explosive run forward, usually after stealing the ball, sometimes even just to press. But overall his running is more offence-based and he doesn't run around the whole game like he used to or like Delgado or Tyler Adams or Kante do now

So I still think defensively a Bradley-Fraser midfield gets overrun without a Delgado-like presence in there, but that would mean no Osorio or Pozuelo in their natural position in a 4-3-3

Fraser would have to replace Delgado. And I don't mean that as a criticism of Marky - he seems to be back to where he was in 2017.

Which is why I feel we could lose him in the expansion draft. Which gives Fraser his chance.

buddies
10-31-2019, 10:39 AM
Was driving home from work yesterday listening to the radio (can't remember which station but either Fan590 or TSN1050 around 2:30pm). They were interviewing Joshua Kloke from the Athletic who was saying that he said there was little chance that last night's game would be Bradley's last in a TFC jersey. He said he had personally talked with Michael Bradley who told him that he would be willing to take a TAM contract going forward to stay with TFC. He was pretty upfront with that comment so there wasn't much room for misinterpretation. If that's the case and he's willing to take less to free up a DP slot for next year that kind of excites me. Bradley at that level to mentor and transition our youth sounds like a good deal all round ...

TFC Tifoso
10-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Captain <3 <3 <3 <3

Best leader this city has ever seen

Bushmancan
10-31-2019, 11:00 AM
Was driving home from work yesterday listening to the radio (can't remember which station but either Fan590 or TSN1050 around 2:30pm). They were interviewing Joshua Kloke from the Athletic who was saying that he said there was little chance that last night's game would be Bradley's last in a TFC jersey. He said he had personally talked with Michael Bradley who told him that he would be willing to take a TAM contract going forward to stay with TFC. He was pretty upfront with that comment so there wasn't much room for misinterpretation. If that's the case and he's willing to take less to free up a DP slot for next year that kind of excites me. Bradley at that level to mentor and transition our youth sounds like a good deal all round ...

What would make the General a god in this city and put every Maple Leaf to shame... is to win it, re-structure his guaranteed DP award for winning to a TAM and Coaching contract and allow the team to bring in another DP. He would become a Toronto sports legend. The endorsements even for a MLS player would be large and long term potentially worth more than the DP contract (well maybe not ... but still would be significant)

trane
10-31-2019, 11:19 AM
It has to be done, and we need to start working on developing or identifying a long term replacement.

ryan
10-31-2019, 11:57 AM

That's a big drop off as he can't come close to the 6.5M he'd make based on his contract kicker on a TAM level deal. If he does, then, wow.

TFC Tifoso
10-31-2019, 12:57 PM
I really believe he isn't going anywhere, and will take TAM money to stay.
He loves it here and even lives here year round.
Unless management present him with a totally insulting offer, he's staying.

stevep
10-31-2019, 01:02 PM
He seems completely focused and driven, and you can see that rubbing off on the other players. It's why he's captain.

Just the will to win is enough to drive him to that goal, although I can think of 6.5 million other reasons to want the Cup :D, I'm sure that helps.

i would gladly overpay bradley the 6.5m next year as a dp if it meant a mls cup this year.
would take that trade all day every day

Laiping
10-31-2019, 02:04 PM
I would too! It's a no brainer!

Initial B
10-31-2019, 06:00 PM
That's basically what the raptors did with Kahwi Leonard. I don't think anyone faults Masai Ujiri for making that trade now.

tfcfans
10-31-2019, 06:15 PM
That's basically what the raptors did with Kahwi Leonard. I don't think anyone faults Masai Ujiri for making that trade now.

This is exactly what I told someone today - the goal is to win Championships when you can - no Raptors fan would say the title wasn't worth what we gave up; the whole point is to win; ask LAFC and Atlanta today how fickle a one game playoff can be; ask GS who will go from a 5 year NBA dynasty to one of the worst teams in basketball over the course of a few months - Astros and Lightning were great these past seasons and won squat, you simply never know when or if these chances will come along — if Bradley getting 6.5M for one more year gets us there, it’s a happy payment to make for time well served as a decent player (there has obviously been some deterioration in skills and I’m a Bradley fan), and an exceptional Captain and leader of this team (he sets the culture of this team and holds people accountable) —- if you don’t like his post-game interviews and the way he carries himself even after the heartbreaking losses we’ve experienced (“that was a big boy win” was a great quote yesterday!), then you are not a fan of this franchise, or simply forget what it was like here from 2007 until he arrived....

MightyDM
10-31-2019, 08:35 PM
That's a big drop off as he can't come close to the 6.5M he'd make based on his contract kicker on a TAM level deal. If he does, then, wow.
Having watched him, I think it’s possible that if we win the cup he takes that + league minimum for next two or three years after. I don’t even think they can restructure it under league rules, so that in effect would give him 2+ million per year. And make the team strong.

MightyDM
10-31-2019, 08:36 PM
This is exactly what I told someone today - the goal is to win Championships when you can - no Raptors fan would say the title wasnt worth what we gave up; the whole point is to win; ask LAFC and Atlanta today how fickle a one game playoff can be; ask GS who will go from a 5 year NBA dynasty to one of the worst teams in basketball over the course of a few months - Astros and Lightning were great these past seasons and won squat, you simply never know when or if these chances will come along — if Bradley getting 6.5M for one more year gets us there, it’s a happy payment to make for time well served as a decent player (there has obviously been some deterioration in skills and I’m a Bradley fan), and an exceptional Captain and leader of this team (he sets the culture of this team and holds people accountable) —- if you don’t like his post-game interviews and the way he carries himself even after the heartbreaking losses we’ve experienceded (“that was a big boy win” was a great quote yesterday!), then you are not a fan of this franchise or simply forget what it was like here from 2007 until he arrived....
Yup spot on.

denime
11-01-2019, 06:23 AM
Not sure if this was posted already,if it was sorry for posting again. (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/31/what-else-mls-cup-win-would-mean-michael-bradley)

The $6.5 million game: What MLS Cup means to Bradley

(https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/31/what-else-mls-cup-win-would-mean-michael-bradley)
A reminder that (https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/31/what-else-mls-cup-win-would-mean-michael-bradley)@samstejskal (https://twitter.com/samstejskal?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw) and I reported back in July that Michael Bradley's $6.5 million option is automatically triggered if TFC wins MLS Cup.
(https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/31/what-else-mls-cup-win-would-mean-michael-bradley)

ensco
11-01-2019, 07:46 AM
Bradley's contract extension trigger is totally different from the Masai trade for Kawhi.

When you pay after the fact, you can connect results to compensation in a straight line.

When you do what Masai did, there is no correlation - if we had gone out to the Sixers in the second round, think of how that might look now....

Oldtimer
11-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Bradley's contract extension trigger is totally different from the Masai trade for Kawhi.

When you pay after the fact, you can connect results to compensation in a straight line.

When you do what Masai did, there is no correlation - if we had gone out to the Sixers in the second round, think of how that might look now....

Exactly. It's a low-risk deal since it only kicks in with a Cup win. It's easy to argue too that an MLS Cup win is worth a whole lot more than $6.5 million to MLSE.

GuelphStorm2007
11-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Whatever BRADLEY decides I wish him the best of luck he has been a class act on and off the field. looking forward to see what Fraser can do on the field

denime
11-01-2019, 10:33 AM
If i was Bradley,I would offer my teammates a peace of that 6.5 millions,just to make sure they put some extra effort on the pitch.:D

Oldtimer
11-01-2019, 12:19 PM
The players already get a $275k USD bonus for winning the cup, shared as they decide. Generally players tend to divide it equally. To a DP that's pocket change, but for Laryea it's like a 20% bonus. Obviously Bradley's "bonus" would be much higher, lol.

James17930
11-03-2019, 07:41 PM
The players already get a $275k USD bonus for winning the cup, shared as they decide. Generally players tend to divide it equally. To a DP that's pocket change, but for Laryea it's like a 20% bonus. Obviously Bradley's "bonus" would be much higher, lol.

Only 275k to spread across the whole team?

Yikes, that's nothing.

Blindside16
11-05-2019, 12:56 AM
Only 275k to spread across the whole team?

Yikes, that's nothing.

I believe it is each, not across the team

James17930
11-05-2019, 01:00 AM
I believe it is each, not across the team

That would make more sense.

OgtheDim
12-11-2019, 09:15 PM
https://twitter.com/haylolz/status/1204902390039818240

James17930
12-11-2019, 09:29 PM
https://twitter.com/haylolz/status/1204902390039818240

That actually is pretty funny.

Allez Caillou Allez!

Red CB Toronto
12-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Oh Captain, My Captain. The General is here to stay !!! Can't not stop smiling knowing the leadership that he brings both on and off the field.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70216158_10220576326537839_6645558298160398336_o.j pg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=dhZocu7S0UYAQmDGdG48yitgYlvqxlqNauWleHyxM0 ntXlED4MTC6_HXQ&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=4ce658514fbeb30cf8f06c69a3b554d1&oe=5E8066D2

Section_105
12-12-2019, 10:58 PM
brilliant piece of business by TFC.

Hamilton_Red
12-13-2019, 08:07 PM
brilliant piece of business by TFC.

It's huge - it really sets up us being competitive right at the top (again) next season. Essentially a 4th DP for the next couple of seasons.

I love how he said he'd only take the TAM deal if they promised to sign another DP.

Let the speculation begin.