PDA

View Full Version : TFC Media day Tues 11 Feb 10am

Yohan
02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
On golTV and supposedly streaming on TFC website.

I'm going to be pissed if nobody asks questions about Laba and Julios Cesar

Pint
02-10-2014, 10:45 PM
I'm hoping that Cesar is at media day as his introduction.

prizby
02-10-2014, 11:04 PM
^heard the earliest he'd be here is Wednesday

notthesun
02-10-2014, 11:35 PM
If we get anything more than "we're still exploring all options" on Laba from anyone at TFC I'll be surprised.

Come to think of it the most interesting thing will be if Laba is even there. If he's not available for interviews he's 100% leaving.

mowe
02-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Good to know I'm not getting any work done tomorrow.

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 04:01 AM
^heard the earliest he'd be here is Wednesday

Would not be surprised if they at least announced his arrival on Tuesday with all the media attention they will get.

sidvan
02-11-2014, 06:06 AM
remember Tim90

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 06:22 AM
remember Tim90

Whatever happened to Tim, he just seemed to disappear? I remember he always coming on the boards asking for a media guide. At one point I actually offered him one and would be happy to meet him at BMO to hand it off, but after an exchange of PMs the guy never showed. Did anyone ever see this Tim90 character in person?

cincy
02-11-2014, 06:42 AM
doune me 3 jetseys and 900 media guides

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2014, 07:26 AM
remember Tim90

doune me 3 jetseys and 900 media guides

A fitting dedication.

Petor
02-11-2014, 07:42 AM
A fitting dedication.

Media guides \o/
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2013-club-media-guides#overlay-context=content/welcome-mls-press-box

KevBaller
02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Just wondering, are these events open to the public? I live like 15-20 min drive from TFC Training Grounds so might want to go for fun. If not, what is considered media? Is there some sort of accreditation process to be considered media or can you just show up with a microphone?

Oldtimer
02-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Whatever happened to Tim, he just seemed to disappear?

April 15, 2013 was the last time he was online.

Who could forget this memorable post?

who can i talk about mediaguide

Always a big favourite around here.

KRO
02-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Those Turkey's on Gol TV think we have a player called Dike Bright. It's embarrassing.

Auzzy
02-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Media guides \o/
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2013-club-media-guides#overlay-context=content/welcome-mls-press-box

But that's only one copy. I need 50.

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Those Turkey's on Gol TV think we have a player called Dike Bright. It's embarrassing.

I am going to give Paul Hendrick a break. With Lee Godfrey under the weather , Paul was called in last minute.

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Man were they lobbing softballs in the Joe Bendik interview, not one mention of Cesar and mentioning Joe coming into the season as the starter. It is even more goofy considering the Bendik's tweet.

Areathrasher
02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
I prefer Hendrick. Beats Godfreys "talk to me about" style. Drives me crazy. Ask them a proper question.

Villa TFC
02-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I know it's actually Pravda-TV, but there should still be some journalistic integrity. Hendrick and Serioux start by discussing who will play in midfield alongside Bradley. Serioux says it's between DeRo and Osorio...but not a single word about Laba. Just say something...come on. Say "Bradley and Laba." Or say, "with Laba's imminent departure..."...but just acknowledge the Argentine elephant in the room. Second interview is with Bendik. Does the name "Julio Cesar" come up? Of course not. Not a peep. It's just ridiculous. I guarantee that every single other journalist in that room is asking everyone they can find about Laba and Cesar...but these guys won't even make mention of 'a rumour' or anything. It's a joke. The only bright spot is that Lee Godfrey isn't there. I am grateful for small mercies.

spark
02-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Just wondering, are these events open to the public? I live like 15-20 min drive from TFC Training Grounds so might want to go for fun. If not, what is considered media? Is there some sort of accreditation process to be considered media or can you just show up with a microphone?

My instinct would be no. You do need to get accreditation/approval from the team to be on their press list/mailing list - and that is how you would know about the event ahead of time. The group of guys who go to these is not very big so it would be pretty obvious that there is someone there who has never shown up before. That being said, there have been other pressers at BMO that I've just walked right into without anyone stopping me or asking for info.

KRO
02-11-2014, 10:36 AM
I am going to give Paul Hendrick a break. With Lee Godfrey under the weather , Paul was called in last minute.
I have to admit not having Lee Godfrey is a bonus.

PopePouri
02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

I wasn't watching. Did they at least pronounce Dike correctly?

KRO
02-11-2014, 10:45 AM
They pronounced it correctly but they thought it was his first name.

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Dike was pronounced correctly , just that he said it Bright Dike.

Villa TFC
02-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Am I hearing things, or did Jimmy B just say "...and with Julio coming in..." ?

reggie
02-11-2014, 11:13 AM
a whole lot of nothing...jezzz boring..:drinking:

Canary10
02-11-2014, 11:17 AM
a whole lot of nothing...jezzz boring..:drinking:

Yup.

Walms
02-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Ohh happy bday Ash!

JuliquE
02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Am I hearing things, or did Jimmy B just say "...and with Julio coming in..." ?
I heard it, as well, and he was struggling to finish his sentence, realizing that he had spoken out of turn.

Villa TFC
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I heard it, as well, and he was struggling to finish his sentence, realizing that he had spoken out of turn.

Exactly my thoughts. Definitely sounds like a done deal.

Detroit_TFC
02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Been meh so far.

JuliquE
02-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Been meh so far.
I think you're catching the repeat.. but, yeh -- not much to write home about, besides the Júliň César titbit.

OgtheDim
02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Given Scolari talked about it today, they must be all waiting for MLS approval.

brad
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Given Scolari talked about it today, they must be all waiting for MLS approval.

Bendik talked about it with Gareth Wheeler as well (Wheeler tweeted about it).

Detroit_TFC
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
Heheh, Harry Redknapp having to negotiate another player departure date to TFC. Deja Vu.

Should be less difficult this time.

Detroit_TFC
02-11-2014, 12:54 PM
I think you're catching the repeat.. but, yeh -- not much to write home about, besides the Júliň César titbit.

Watched from the start but yes, didn't catch on to the repeat until Bendik showed up again.

Quite a difference from the dog and pony shows of the last two years.

DaBandit
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
I prefer Hendrick. Beats Godfreys "talk to me about" style. Drives me crazy. Ask them a proper question.

its actually 'talk about.....' and it drives me crazy, ask the damn question properly

PopePouri
02-11-2014, 01:10 PM
No interview with Nelsen or Bez? Meh.

ag futbol
02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
its actually 'talk about.....' and it drives me crazy, ask the damn question properly
Not only that, the things he asks about are meaningless and he usually babbles on for so long that he answers the question for the player.

backbeat
02-11-2014, 02:15 PM
new videos with the players don't seen to be loading...

DaBandit
02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Not only that, the things he asks about are meaningless and he usually babbles on for so long that he answers the question for the player.

yeah i'm not sure what we did to be punished as we are with dobson and godfrey.. Just give me a couple of people that have the slightest clue about footie and I'm happy.

Villa TFC
02-11-2014, 03:48 PM
yeah i'm not sure what we did to be punished as we are with dobson and godfrey.. Just give me a couple of people that have the slightest clue about footie and I'm happy.

Dobson is Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff compared to Lee Ummmmmmmmmm Godfrey. He's arguably the worst interviewer on TV and unlike most interviewers, he only has to cover one team/subject. Can't we trade Godfrey to Columbus for a bag of confetti?

Yohan
02-11-2014, 03:50 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/02/11/tfc-media-day-head-coach-ryan-nelsen

Nelsen at media day

pdubs
02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
he must know someone important lol

Red CB Toronto
02-11-2014, 04:18 PM
They scrum interviews with journalists asking the questions are far more informative that the cream puff ones sit down ones with GOL.

PopePouri
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Gilberto seems like a nice guy.

C.Ronaldo
02-11-2014, 04:40 PM
we really need to educate that the prononuciation of portugeuse and spanish names are not the same.

well said Gilberto, "good luck with your portuguese"

Yohan
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM
I think the players are sick of either same, or similar questions from the media every interview

mcolvy
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Paul Hendricks did his homework and connected with the guys. Adrian Serioux is pathetic that this is his sports and he hadnt done his homework. Didnt even bring up Morrow when talking about the Leftback position and said Rey may be an option in center midfield. He struggled with all the new additions and was going off of last year and thats it.

Hendricks atleast you could tell put the effort it.

mcolvy
02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Henry also looks huge. He is going to maul strikers.

moralis
02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
According to Tim Bez TFC has 28 players under contract, not sure if that includes Julio Cesar - Last part of the video:

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/02/11/tfc-media-day-general-manager-tim-bezbatchenko-0

ag futbol
02-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Impressed with Lovitz, very well spoken and focused.

Didn't see too much confidence from this group last year, but this year it seems to be there in bounds.

FluSH
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
The suspense...

notthesun
02-11-2014, 08:28 PM
According to some tweets Gilberto said he's aiming for 25 goals this year. Good attitude to have no doubt :D

Dv23
02-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Can I just say that I absolutely love Hagglund's spirit? So great to hear him speak like this about the team. He is so excited to be here, and it is contagious.

http://www.torontofc.ca/video/2014/02/11/tfc-media-day-nick-hagglund-0

Alonso
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Dobson is Pulitzer Prize-winning stuff compared to Lee Ummmmmmmmmm Godfrey. He's arguably the worst interviewer on TV and unlike most interviewers, he only has to cover one team/subject. Can't we trade Godfrey to Columbus for a bag of confetti?

Paul showed more insight and interest in his interviews in one media day then Lee has in all his interviews combined. Not a single Ummmm or repeated question verbatim, sure some similar questions, but a different take each time. When you watch 5 of these interviews in a row, or like I do, 20 of them, Lee sounds like a god damn parrot who only knows how to say 5 phrases.

Alonso
02-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I think the players are sick of either same, or similar questions from the media every interview

I know that I sure as hell am.

And yet, I'm starved for more! Waiting for the one original gem of a question out of the fifty that we've all already heard, that might just maybe, pry some new insight into the character of the players that will partake in the unraveling drama of the upcoming season on the stage that we know as BMO field.

I think all the hype is starting to get to me.

I need a detox.

Alonso
02-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Paul Hendricks did his homework and connected with the guys. Adrian Serioux is pathetic that this is his sports and he hadnt done his homework. Didnt even bring up Morrow when talking about the Leftback position and said Rey may be an option in center midfield. He struggled with all the new additions and was going off of last year and thats it.

Exactly, and when Dike told Serioux that he had played with Nigeria versus Italy and scored a goal for them during the off season it was definitely news to him.

Maybe we're just too Uber fan and hold to many people to the same standard. Personally, I think if you are going to report on a team, you probably should aim to know more than the uber fans watching your interviews about the subject.

ag futbol
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM

This is it right here: preparation. Watching some of these media guys ask questions makes me think they just rolled out of bed and winged it. I know this isn't the most important story you'll be covering all year, but do it some justice.

This is why the bloggers get so much traction, because they actually care enough to know the details!

prizby
02-11-2014, 11:28 PM
i was impressed with the obvious amount of preparation Paul Hendricks did; had no idea who he was before today, thought he was a new hire for goltv canada (and would have been happy had he been)...and you could see he had his sheets in front of him with information and questions he wanted to ask each of the different guys that sat down with him

brad
02-12-2014, 08:52 AM
This is it right here: preparation. Watching some of these media guys ask questions makes me think they just rolled out of bed and winged it. I know this isn't the most important story you'll be covering all year, but do it some justice.

This is why the bloggers get so much traction, because they actually care enough to know the details!

This, and the fact that they are the ones most likely to ask the hardball questions.

tfcleeds
02-12-2014, 09:00 AM
I hate the way Godfrey already has suggested answers built-in to his questions, haha.

Red CB Toronto
02-12-2014, 09:27 AM
This, and the fact that they are the ones most likely to ask the hardball questions.

John Molinaro just by his nature asks the hard questions. I think for the most part Toronto media of all sorts are pretty good covering TFC. In at times when TFC was not a priority and in as result some general assignment types ended up on the beat is where it suffered.

Hustle
02-12-2014, 09:37 AM
I cancelled my subscription to GOLTV because of Godfrey. I won't watch Interviews except for media scrums. I am sure he is a good guy, but if we want excellence at our club, that extends to the media and his style of questioning is brutal and phoned in. As the main guy interviewing our boys and all the extra attention expected, we need someone better. Sorry Godfrey...

(I am well aware he is the tfc lacky but still....the questions and the STYLE can and should be better.)

OgtheDim
02-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Wheeler's View on Yesterday

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/mls/story/?id=443659

Tony Santiago
02-12-2014, 12:30 PM
i was impressed with the obvious amount of preparation Paul Hendricks did; had no idea who he was before today, thought he was a new hire for goltv canada (and would have been happy had he been)...and you could see he had his sheets in front of him with information and questions he wanted to ask each of the different guys that sat down with him

Hendricks is an old school pro. He's just a classy and intelligent interviewer. He does a very good job on Leafs TV.

Auzzy
02-12-2014, 12:47 PM
RE Gilberto's hope to score 25 goals: remember he scored 14 goals in 24 appearances last year in Brazil.

TFC plays at least 36 games this year. Assuming Gilberto, as a DP, plays at least part of every game, and if he only matches last year's strike rate, that's 21 goals. So he's basically hoping he will improve a bit over last year.

We shall see. Maybe MLS is a bit easier overall than the Brazilian league. Or maybe the defending is tougher. Or maybe the schedule & travel get to him and he doesn't perform as well as last year, etc. etc. But it's not an unreasonable comment for a striker, who you want to be a bit self-assured.

ag futbol
02-12-2014, 12:54 PM
We shall see. Maybe MLS is a bit easier overall than the Brazilian league. Or maybe the defending is tougher. Or maybe the schedule & travel get to him and he doesn't perform as well as last year, etc. etc. But it's not an unreasonable comment for a striker, who you want to be a bit self-assured.
From my observation, it depends on the area of the field. Midfield is lighter but the defenders and strikers will mix it up a fair amount. There will be an adjustment period, but he won't be shocked the first time he goes for a header and gets squashed by a defender coming in with a hard challenge.

Unquestionably their level of play is higher, but this is a different league. The style contrast isn't as drastic as say between Argentina - MLS but there is still ground to cover.

johnmolinaro
02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
John Molinaro just by his nature asks the hard questions. I think for the most part Toronto media of all sorts are pretty good covering TFC. In at times when TFC was not a priority and in as result some general assignment types ended up on the beat is where it suffered.

That's very kind of you to say.

But I don't think I ask hard questions - I think I ask simple and direct questions. I try not to go into much preamble when I ask a question or provide whoever I am talking to with an answer when I form my question (ie: "You've struggled lately. Why?" As opposed to, "You've struggled lately. Is that because you're still adapting to the team?"

Generally speaking, I think the beat reporters who cover this team collectively do a good job. But we all could be a bit better; there's always room to improve. myself included.

As for the scrums, I generally try to stay away from them (I was only in two of them yesterday: Nelsen and Bez). Instead, I try to get the guys 1-on-1 just after the scrums. I find that works better and I tend to get better answers and get the players to open up a bit more.

Just my two cents.

John

BTW - I agree about the use of "talk about" by reporters. Better to ask a question, in my humble view.

Red CB Toronto
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
That's very kind of you to say.

But I don't think I ask hard questions - I think I ask simple and direct questions. I try not to go into much preamble when I ask a question or provide whoever I am talking to with an answer when I form my question (ie: "You've struggled lately. Why?" As opposed to, "You've struggled lately. Is that because you're still adapting to the team?"

Generally speaking, I think the beat reporters who cover this team collectively do a good job. But we all could be a bit better; there's always room to improve. myself included.

As for the scrums, I generally try to stay away from them (I was only in two of them yesterday: Nelsen and Bez). Instead, I try to get the guys 1-on-1 just after the scrums. I find that works better and I tend to get better answers and get the players to open up a bit more.

Just my two cents.

John

BTW - I agree about the use of "talk about" by reporters. Better to ask a question, in my humble view.

i agree John, the simple and direct question is key to any interviews, it keeps it on subject and allows for you to get the insight and info you want.

PopePouri
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
RE Gilberto's hope to score 25 goals: remember he scored 14 goals in 24 appearances last year in Brazil.

TFC plays at least 36 games this year. Assuming Gilberto, as a DP, plays at least part of every game, and if he only matches last year's strike rate, that's 21 goals. So he's basically hoping he will improve a bit over last year.

Setting goals for yourself isn't bad. There's a difference between "I think I can get 20 goals this year" compared to "I want to try and score 20 goals".

MartinUtd
02-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Does anyone remember when Maurice Edu had that poll up on his site in 2008 that read something like this:

How many goals will I score this year?
[ ] 20 - 25
[ ] 15 - 20
[ ] 10 - 15
[ ] 5 - 10

Complete with overlapping categories and no <5 option, usually common amongst defensive midfielders.

Yohan
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
It was pretty funny when Mattocks predicted he was going to score 20 goals last season