PDA

View Full Version : Today's News, Friday, Feb.07

denime
02-07-2014, 06:38 AM
Mornin'

TFC TV

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)

Bradley Enters A New Chapter

(http://www.torontofc.ca/video)The Throw-In: Why Michael Bradley has earned right to wear the armband... (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/694619476?-19896:6206)

MLS Preseason Tracker: Matches, highlights, scores & news updates as they happen... (http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/694621067?-19896:6206)

TFC/MLS related blogs (http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?29582-TFC-MLS-blogs-thread)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshine-girl)

prizby
02-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Julio Cesar to TFC on loan (http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/futebol-internacional/noticia/2014/02/julio-cesar-vai-defender-o-toronto-fc-da-major-league-soccer.html)

Sweeper
02-07-2014, 08:10 AM
I just spewed my coffee out like it's another "Big Bloody Deal". For a second I thought they were bringing in the midfielder we started pre-season with last year.

Is this for real?

Joe Kool
02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Julio Cesar to TFC on loan (http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/futebol-internacional/noticia/2014/02/julio-cesar-vai-defender-o-toronto-fc-da-major-league-soccer.html)

Do we really even need to waste another dollar of our cap space on a 4th goalkeeper....I don't get this move. Unless Bendik is trade bait for some other deal right now. Guess we have to wait and see.

Red Rat
02-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Now we need a coach

JuliquE
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
Do we really even need to waste another dollar of our cap space on a 4th goalkeeper....I don't get this move. Unless Bendik is trade bait for some other deal right now. Guess we have to wait and see.
I know what you're saying and sort of agree.. but, if the money is right (read: not much more than we'd like to spend on a keeper, in MLS' cap system), he should be a massive upgrade; would be good for our possession game, as his distribution, alone, should be light years ahead of Bendik's, and he would be better with his feet, as well.

prizby
02-07-2014, 08:39 AM

i'd say bendik is only 24; that is young for a GK; this would almost surely be a short-term thing (a year at most) and give us the best GK in MLS, in my opinion...only way the deal happens is if he comes in at a cap number that fits TFC's budget...might only be up until the World Cup; i think based on that report the negotiation is whether it is a half year or full year loan deal

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I seems like its a loan but even then i fail to see what the benefit would be, we'd probably alienate a serviceable keeper by doing this...

burlington Red
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
always good to see quality players at your club, but something doesn't seem right with this. If he is so keen to get playing time as Redknapp suggests, wouldn't he have moved to a club in Jan whose league is already in full swing. We don't start playing until next month, plus he has enough global recognition that many teams in top leagues ie Spain, France, Italy, Germany and England could have used his talents in a short term loan option. Not sure what we are offering, but many were initially surprised when he moved to QPR, until they realised the money he was on. Not sure we have cap space to be offering him that kind of cash now. Interesting.....

Oldtimer
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I seems like its a loan but even then i fail to see what the benefit would be, we'd probably alienate a serviceable keeper by doing this...

Our GK knows how teams are managed, he's no kid. Competition is good for him, it will make him step up his game. Plus he can learn from the best.

tfcleeds
02-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Is this absolutely confirmed? If so, not sure how I feel about this. Of course, it's always exciting to get players the quality of Julio Cesar, but Bendik has definitely earned the right to be #1 in my opinion.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Our GK knows how teams are managed, he's no kid. Competition is good for him, it will make him step up his game. Plus he can learn from the best.
True, dunno why i get an uneasy feeling about this tho

Red CB Toronto
02-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Is this absolutely confirmed? If so, not sure how I feel about this. Of course, it's always exciting to get players the quality of Julio Cesar, but Bendik has definitely earned the right to be #1 in my opinion. This whole thing smacks of Nelsen doing his old teammate a favour, seems like the kind of move Mo would have made back in the day.

The difference here in my view is that it would most likely cost TFC very little money. Along the lines of when LA had Juninho on loan for essentially nothing, he was on the books at the Galaxy in 2012 for 65K after Sao Paulo signed him to a three year.

PopePouri
02-07-2014, 09:32 AM
I just spewed my coffee out like it's another "Big Bloody Deal". For a second I thought they were bringing in the midfielder we started pre-season with last year.

Is this for real?

This is huge IMO if the wage is reasonable.

Chevy
02-07-2014, 09:33 AM
Is this absolutely confirmed? If so, not sure how I feel about this. Of course, it's always exciting to get players the quality of Julio Cesar, but Bendik has definitely earned the right to be #1 in my opinion. This whole thing smacks of Nelsen doing his old teammate a favour, seems like the kind of move Mo would have made back in the day.

I have absolutely no issues with Nelsen doing a favour for someone who has earned 77 caps for the Brazilian national team and 200+ appearances with Inter Milan. Nelsen needs more friends!!! :)

tfcleeds
02-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Of course, bringing in a player the quality of J. Cesar on loan, on the cheap, certainly isn't the worst thing that could happen, far from it. I just feel for Bendik. Dude's been playing out of his skin since he got here. He'll just have to embrace the competition. If it pushes him that much harder until the World Cup, I suppose that's a good thing.

Carts
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM
A veteran keeper like this is NEVER a bad thing...

Ceasar will teach Bendik more than our current keeper coaches, and can win us games also...

He comes in, wins us some game, Bendik mentors an international keeper, watches, listens, trains with, learns from him - and when Ceasar's time is finished here at TFC, Bendik is a better keeper for us...

Win-Win in my eyes...

Carts...

Phil
02-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Of course, bringing in a player the quality of J. Cesar on loan, on the cheap, certainly isn't the worst thing that could happen, far from it. I just feel for Bendik. Dude's been playing out of his skin since he got here. He'll just have to embrace the competition. If it pushes him that much harder until the World Cup, I suppose that's a good thing.

To me, Bendick was not played, got his chance and did well, but I notice we tend to fall in love with keepers here even if they are middle ground talent.

I feel bad for the guy but look forward to seeing what a guy like Cesar could do with presser on him to perform.

C.Ronaldo
02-07-2014, 10:04 AM
seriously!!!!!!!

why is this up for discussion?

We get an amazing keeper, Bendik gets to learn while knowing he gets his spot back

its not like bendik doesnt know hes no julio cesar

Carts
02-07-2014, 10:08 AM
To me, Bendick was not played, got his chance and did well, but I notice we tend to fall in love with keepers here even if they are middle ground talent.

I feel bad for the guy but look forward to seeing what a guy like Cesar could do with presser on him to perform.

I honestly think its sympathy...

You see a guy out there, getting shelled, no help, no goals for the good, and always the one the camera goes straight to when a striker taps a ball into an empty net on a 4-on-0 (not the 3 defenders picking flowers in the corner)...

If we have Ceasar for the season - I am JACKED... A world class talent as our last line of defence....

I mean, HE'S GONNA TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART!!! g:D

Carts...

Jack
02-07-2014, 10:30 AM

Ceasar will teach Bendik more than our current keeper coaches, and can win us games also...

He comes in, wins us some game, Bendik mentors an international keeper, watches, listens, trains with, learns from him - and when Ceasar's time is finished here at TFC, Bendik is a better keeper for us...

Win-Win in my eyes...

Carts...
This.

seriously!!!!!!!

why is this up for discussion?

We get an amazing keeper, Bendik gets to learn while knowing he gets his spot back

its not like bendik doesnt know hes no julio cesar
And this.

HE'S GONNA TEAR THIS LEAGUE APART!!! g:D

And this g:D

gdg_9
02-07-2014, 10:37 AM
always good to see quality players at your club, but something doesn't seem right with this. If he is so keen to get playing time as Redknapp suggests, wouldn't he have moved to a club in Jan whose league is already in full swing. We don't start playing until next month, plus he has enough global recognition that many teams in top leagues ie Spain, France, Italy, Germany and England could have used his talents in a short term loan option. Not sure what we are offering, but many were initially surprised when he moved to QPR, until they realised the money he was on. Not sure we have cap space to be offering him that kind of cash now. Interesting.....

I think QPR were trying really hard to move him on a permanent transfer during the Jan window.
They wanted his salary off the books, but nobody bit at his price tag.

Moving him on a loan (where QPR would still have to pick up most of his salary, but get a little relief from TFC), seems like more of a plan B, and one that's done more as a favour to the player.

Our relationship with QPR, and Nelsen's personal relationship with Cesar would be a big reason we are involved.

gdg_9
02-07-2014, 10:41 AM

Win-Win in my eyes...

Carts...

Like I posted in another thread, our May and early June Schedule is very congested with the additional Voyageurs Cup games.

Bendik will still get games.

Then once the World Cup starts and Cesar leaves, Bendik takes back the full role - hopefully a better player from the experience of training with and learning from one of the best.

Kaz
02-07-2014, 10:45 AM
ok so ummm...

International slots?

how is this move even possible?

That is my only issue with it.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Maybe Laba going for loan the other way. Also I've come to peace with this, dunno why I had a problem with it in the first place

Yohan
02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Maybe Laba going for loan the other way. Also I've come to peace with this, dunno why I had a problem with it in the first place
can't. English transfer window is closed

Villa TFC
02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Bendik is a good MLS goalkeeper. Julio Cesar is a great international goalkeeper. End of discussion.

Everything says this is a loan which means that if it happens, JC will be here for anywhere from a couple of months to the entire season. He almost certainly won't be back next year as even if he wanted to stay I can't imagine any way that we could afford him given MLS salary caps, DP restrictions and the presence of Defoe, Bradley, Laba, Gilberto etc etc. So Bendik is back to number one when JC leaves...but as others have said, just imagine what he'll learn in the interim! 24 is very young for a goalkeeper. Most keepers don't hit their peak until they're in their late 20s or early 30s. Playing back-up to JC can only make Bendik better, even if he doesn't play for a few months. My only complaint with Bendik last season was his kicking at the start of the season, but that improved hugely. Clearly he's capable of learning and of improving, so imagine what playing with JC can do for him. If this happens, there is no down side for anyone...except the opposition.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-07-2014, 11:15 AM
can't. English transfer window is closed

Good point, forgot about that

Futbolista
02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Upgrade for sure. no discussion!
Bendik will only get better by watching a veteran, experienced winner keeper the world recognized . It may not be top ten but still really good.
I dont mind the money spent, over the years we have been short changed with this team, and as supporter I embrace the money bragging MLSE has gives for finally.
I cant wait to face those mexican champions! Lets see if you can walk into our house with subs and bench players again.

gdg_9
02-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Upgrade for sure. no discussion!
Bendik will only get better by watching a veteran, experienced winner keeper the world recognized . It may not be top ten but still really good.
I dont mind the money spent, over the years we have been short changed with this team, and as supporter I embrace the money bragging MLSE has gives for finally.
I cant wait to face those mexican champions! Lets see if you can walk into our house with subs and bench players again.

If Cesar is only on loan until the World Cup, he will be gone by the time we play any Mexican teams.

Even if he were to stay after the World Cup, I could see him focusing on MLS, and giving Bendik the Voyageurs and then CCL games.

Sweeper
02-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I'm not ok with this move affecting the retention of Laba. Not sure how it couldn't. I'm assuming the upgrade would be playing the ball out of the back on the ground, because Bendik is a decent shot stopper by MLS standards. Perhaps this is to sell a few more seats?

gdg_9
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
KJ's take on Cesar to TFC:
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kristian_jack/?id=443226

Great piece... KJ brings up alot of valid points.

This team is nowhere close to the TFC of the past... and that's an exciting thing!

tfcleeds
02-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Love the comments here!.....http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/07/report-brazilian-national-team-goalkeeper-julio-cesar-set-loan-move-toronto-

Futbolista
02-07-2014, 01:08 PM
[/B]If Cesar is only on loan until the World Cup, he will be gone by the time we play any Mexican teams.

Even if he were to stay after the World Cup, I could see him focusing on MLS, and giving Bendik the Voyageurs and then CCL games.

Yes, you have a good point. My guess is if he stays through the champions he wouldn't face the impact, Caps or Edmonton...not even any of the central american teams. But if he is around for sure I see him facing Santos or Chivas or whomever is champion in Tequilaland. I dont even picture Defoe or Bradley making a trip to San Pedro Sula or Mucho Bad fields south of Mexico..LOL
Just saying.

Oldtimer
02-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Love the comments here!.....http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/02/07/report-brazilian-national-team-goalkeeper-julio-cesar-set-loan-move-toronto-

:D

Envious:

How did they get all that money?

Are you kidding me? Damn TFC how are you able to do all this?

Little do they know the financial power of MLSE, which can do so much when you have a CEO who actually wants to win.

More positive:

ABOUT TIME, AN mls TEAM WHO IS NOT AFFRAID TO SPEND MONEY

Alonso
02-07-2014, 02:25 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/reds-elmer-part-ways

Jonas is out, so that's a freed up international spot there....

Alonso
02-07-2014, 02:36 PM
With his contacts, if Nelsen needs to be relieved of his duties at some point I vote for a promotion to Technical Director of the Club.

He has come through with his contacts in spades.

TorCanSoc
02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Sutton, Frei, Kocic, Bendik.

All our keepers usurp the one before, then get usurped. Its not a pleasant pattern to watch.

jabbronies
02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/reds-elmer-part-ways

Jonas is out, so that's a freed up international spot there....

Looks like we've got 8

JuliquE
02-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I was thinking that this might add a little impetus for the likes of Gilberto and Jackson to perform, with having the attention of the Brazilian national team coach, as he keeps tabs on Cesar. Not saying they are close to being good enough.. but, you have to feel they will have dreamt of one day playing for their country and, even if they were to, later, go on to play in Europe, there would be no better chance then now, to get the coach's attention. So, yeah.. motivation, all the same.

C.Ronaldo
02-07-2014, 03:46 PM
I was thinking that this might add a little impetus for the likes of Gilberto and Jackson to perform, with having the attention of the Brazilian national team coach, as he keeps tabs on Cesar. Not saying they are close to being good enough.. but, you have to feel they will have dreamt of one day playing for their country and, even if they were to, later, go on to play in Europe, there would be no better chance then now, to get the coach's attention. So, yeah.. motivation, all the same.

These guys just got the attention of the entire country Brasil. TFC was nothing more than a place to play snow ball before this