PDA

View Full Version : Shit Luck vs. Shit play

djking2
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Assuming that shit luck includes everything from acts of god to the actions of referees that just think they are god, which of the two do you think is the biggest cause of the current winless streak.

Giambac you can assume Carver fits under shit play and we'll put you down for one on that side:)

I figure our luck couldn't get any worse

The Pope
07-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I figure our luck couldn't get any worse

let's not tempt things eh.....

LucaGol
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Shit luck 65 vs. Shit Play 35

It's 6 and 1 half dozen of the other....shit play and shit luck go hand in hand.

But yes...we have been sort of hard done by lately. I mean look at DC in the beginning of the year...they are still...imo...the second best team in the MLS and they had attrocious luck early on.

James17930
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
It's been bits of both at different times IMO.

jloome
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Fucking terrible luck, terrible officiating and mediocre/average play, a combination of all three. If you're playing with great tenacity and drive, the luck tends to bounce your way more often, I believe.

It's funny how often this team gets jobbed by officials; un-fucking-real actually. They were showign the highlights of the Villa game as the "flashback" on Fox last night (two goals from Lombardo, albeit one called back) and the first thing that happens to us is that Danny breaks in on a perfect through ball, scores a beaut to tie the game.....and is wrongly called offside. We end up fighting back to 2-2 before a couple of late ones (with our guys playing like, oh, I dunno, this game matters to their reps) cost us the game.

But look at the last streak. I count six consecutive games now with a penatly call we didn't get (although the fairly weak Ibee collapse gave us one we probably didn't deserve, as well), for the tug down on Ibrahim on robert's through ball in the second half. Yeah, they whistled it -- then moved the ball 20 yards outside the box, evne though the shirt tugging that pr eceded Ibee's collapse happened in the box (clear on the TV replay)!

It's safe to say the officiating in this league is truly fucking terrible.

mclaren
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
A wise man once said "you make your own luck in football".

rocker
07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Bruce Arena once said winning in MLS is about luck all the time.
while he was probably just covering his ass, I see some truth in the matter.

now, if we could have a starting lineup with million dollar players, we could really make our own luck. ;)

OneLoveOneEric
07-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Those calling it bad luck are desperately trying to console themselves.
Every team has calls go against them.
Games like SJ should be put to rest so quickly that luck can't ever enter into them.
We seem to bring bad luck upon ourselves by refusing to try to win.

Carts
07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree that its been a big portion of shit-luck, and a portion of shit-play... However, sometimes you can't tell the difference in the two...

Guevara's PK:
Shit-dumb-luck that the tender guessed right...
Shit-play that he didn't hit it hard just inside the post...

Smith hitting the bar against Vancouver:
Good play to hit it straight up with some mustard to ensure nothing stops it...
Shit-luck he hits it 2-inches too high and it hits the bar...

Multiple Off-Side calls that were WRONG:
Shit-luck that the linesmen seem to think "any" breakaway is offside...
Shit-play that Cunny only scores breakaway goals when the flag is up...

Dichio Out:
Shit-luck - even the best condition, training and medical staff can't stop conkers...

International Friendly Matches during a busy & important time:
Shit-planning - that should, and I'm guessing will be, addressed by Mo & Carver to the FO for next season...

Just my two cents...
Carts...

rocker
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
despite the bad luck/bad play, if one of those bad luck/bad plays goes into the net, TFC would vault above 4 teams in the standings. i'm sure other teams feel the same way.

Oldtimer
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
How does a poll help?
We need to bring our support. That's our role.

Parkdale
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
opportunity favours the prepared.

UltraFootyKWC
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Sure we have had a little run of bad luck, but the fact of the matter is that we've also had more than ample opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net, and it hasn't happened.

Pachuco
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
a little bit of both as most people suggest

giambac
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
It's a combination of both.

There is a saying that you have to be lucky to be good.

Well TFC hasn't been lucky and they definetly haven't been good.

Look, There have been times when they have been unlucky. However this team is on an 8 game winless streak. That streak includes a draw at home vs KC who at that time was the worse team in the east. It includes a loss at home vs Vancouver (USL team ). It also includes a tie on the road vs Vancouver. And it includes a scoreless tie at home vs the expansion SJ.

You can't contribute this all to bad luck. There has been alot of bad play and a alot of bad coaching also. I would say it's the combination of the 3.