PDA

View Full Version : Danny Dichio presentation at Coaching conference

namebutler
02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
This past weekend there was a coaching conference in Toronto (National Soccer Coaching Conference). It was designed to expose coaches to some training methods. They had various coaches run on field sessions and a few did some classroom talks.

Danny Dichio presented a classroom session about what he was learning from the French federation in his UEFA courses. He also ran an onfield session to show how the training sessions are run with this French model.

The executive summary; Very impressive presentation. Lets be blunt, if he had some posh English accent everyone would be name checking him.

Some points/info from his presentation.

Greg Vanney is on the same course as him.
French model different than the current Canadian LTPD.
He's visiting other academies in Europe to observe and ask questions (Stuggart, Sporting,

Overall I can see why changes might have occurred with Rongen from a coaching environment. If you replace the word coaching with teaching in regard to younger academy kids you can start to understand the approach. The feel of the training session was completely different from what you'd expect from Danny and likely totally different from anything you've experienced if you trained maybe 5 plus years earlier in Canada (screaming-non stop negative feedback etc.).

They are trying to develop the "whole" player and yes thats sounds "soft" but the TFC academy kids who were used during the onfield sessions were not soft.

Another note; Marc Dos Santos from the Ottawa Fury is a coach to watch. His style was different but his training was more geared towards older players. Marc's knowledge is obviously at a very high level. His team should be entertaining to watch if he gets the right players who can play his style.

jloome
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
This past weekend there was a coaching conference in Toronto (National Soccer Coaching Conference). It was designed to expose coaches to some training methods. They had various coaches run on field sessions and a few did some classroom talks.

Danny Dichio presented a classroom session about what he was learning from the French federation in his UEFA courses. He also ran an onfield session to show how the training sessions are run with this French model.

The executive summary; Very impressive presentation. Lets be blunt, if he had some posh English accent everyone would be name checking him.

Some points/info from his presentation.

Greg Vanney is on the same course as him.
French model different than the current Canadian LTPD.
He's visiting other academies in Europe to observe and ask questions (Stuggart, Sporting,

Overall I can see why changes might have occurred with Rongen from a coaching environment. If you replace the word coaching with teaching in regard to younger academy kids you can start to understand the approach. The feel of the training session was completely different from what you'd expect from Danny and likely totally different from anything you've experienced if you trained maybe 5 plus years earlier in Canada (screaming-non stop negative feedback etc.).

They are trying to develop the "whole" player and yes thats sounds "soft" but the TFC academy kids who were used during the onfield sessions were not soft.

Another note; Marc Dos Santos from the Ottawa Fury is a coach to watch. His style was different but his training was more geared towards older players. Marc's knowledge is obviously at a very high level. His team should be entertaining to watch if he gets the right players who can play his style.

Good to see us changing with the times. This sounds again like the Brazilian "non competitive" model for younger players, which focuses on technique and mindset over game situations.

Initial B
02-04-2014, 01:12 PM
+1. I talked with him at a Fury event and he's really got it together. I can't wait for the NASL seson to start.

sidvan
02-05-2014, 05:55 AM
DD's session at the conference highlighted the French model of training in terms of the structure of the practice. It was a good session to watch.

MDS really impressed me with his passion and maintaining a high expectation of performance through out his sessions.

Colin Miller is a natural born comedian but he had simple lessons that were very effective. You could see the noticeable improvement of player performance from the beginning of the practice to the end.

USMNT Ass't Martin Vasquez had some great sessions on Sunday.

All in all a really good conference. Hope to make it 4 in a row next year.

CoachGT
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
If there is enough interest, I am willing to try running a couple of coaching sessions again. A couple of the presenters from this conference told me they would happily speak to a group of 15-20 people.

sidvan
02-05-2014, 11:42 AM
As always - i am in.

If there is enough interest, I am willing to try running a couple of coaching sessions again. A couple of the presenters from this conference told me they would happily speak to a group of 15-20 people.

Greatest Ripoff
02-05-2014, 12:38 PM

He has assembled a pretty good squad so far. I really hope things come together in Ottawa this year.

namebutler
02-05-2014, 08:25 PM

Depending on the timing and the presenter I'd be interested.

namebutler
02-05-2014, 08:31 PM
Colin Miller is a natural born comedian but he had simple lessons that were very effective. You could see the noticeable improvement of player performance from the beginning of the practice to the end.

Did you notice Colin was busting the center back to pass with his left foot when he was switching the ball onto the right flank? He noticed everything and he was not afraid to say it.

If you're where not at the conference Colin kept saying that in Canada coaches say things like "bad luck" when someone screws up a shot. Miller suggested a more honest response from coaches.

sidvan
02-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Did you notice Colin was busting the center back to pass with his left foot when he was switching the ball onto the right flank? He noticed everything and he was not afraid to say it.

If you're where not at the conference Colin kept saying that in Canada coaches say things like "bad luck" when someone screws up a shot. Miller suggested a more honest response from coaches.

Did you notice that this is what Tony Fonseca said as his go to response during his session? "Unlucky"