PDA

View Full Version : When Would You Like Games to Start

OgtheDim
02-03-2014, 11:04 AM
So the ticket account manager still says TBA as far as time when home games will start.

What would people prefer for SATURDAY GAMES?

Yes, TV will have its way, and reality will be what it its.

But, in a perfect world, what would you prefer?

And, no I did not include morning or late evening.

flatpicker
02-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Well obviously weekday games need to be in the evening.
As for weekends, I say 7:30.
I always prefer the atmosphere at night.

mastermixer
02-03-2014, 11:12 AM
In the summer, watching games on a warm evening is the best there is. But in April and May watching a game after the sun goes down is most likely really cold.
So my vote would be 2pm spring, then switch to 7pm in the warm summer months.

OgtheDim
02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes, sorry, I should have made it clear.

We are talking about Saturdays.

Fort York Redcoat
02-03-2014, 11:20 AM
The answer is obvious. I want them to start when proper football matches start so

7:45am

Every other start time is bush league.g:D

Pint
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
7:30 pm.... Also was told at the Defoe/Bradley Presser that time should be out by early feb. I sure hope they come out soon

rowjimi
02-03-2014, 11:24 AM
In the summer, watching games on a warm evening is the best there is. But in April and May watching a game after the sun goes down is most likely really cold.

I like this strategy.

gdg_9
02-03-2014, 11:43 AM

I like the idea of this... but I think 2pm is too early.
Summer (weekend) games should definitely be at night. 7, 7:30, or even 8 would be good.

Spring/Fall games should be earlier, but only early enough so that they are played in daylight.
4:00 or 4:30 is best for these games IMO (game done around 6-7)

Super
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I definitely prefer later in the day, but it depends on the weather too. We're dealing with a stadium with no protection from the elements, so IF we get improvements to the stadium, then yes, as late as possible.

Mark in Ottawa
02-03-2014, 12:26 PM
As a supporter "from away" I prefer Saturday games to start before 3PM.
That way I can take the morning VIA train from Ottawa, meet up with my RPB friends before the match, grab quick pint afterwards and still make the last train home to Ottawa at 18:30.

With web fares it can be much cheaper than driving and staying over for a night.

I do agree though that mid summer it only makes sense to have games after or close to sun down.

T-boy
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
3pm for me always. After lunch, before dinner. I can go for 4pm at a push, but still prefer 3.

CommradePolski
02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
I think 4pm is a nice inbetween for games. The sun wont be at its absolute hottest, it gives time to enjoy refreshing pints pre-game in the sun, and then after words heading to grab a pint and/or a meal to celebrate/mourn a victory/loss.

And as someone coming from Kitchener, it does help with traffic since the jays would be most likely done by then and the leafs dont start until 7.

Yagbod
02-03-2014, 02:01 PM
For me, the louder the crowd the better. Historically the later the game, the louder the crowd, without exception.

This is all down to alcohol, in my opinion. Alcohol also solves the 'cold' problem.

Problem solved.

Joe Kool
02-03-2014, 02:13 PM
I always like the 4PM starts. Not too early to get down there with no issues and don't have to drop the kids off to the grandparents too early. Getting back in the early evening allows me to feel like I still have the better part of an evening to enjoy. The day seems longer and enjoyable that way to me...my opinion anyway.

ManUtd4ever
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
As mentioned, early afternoons in the spring and fall, and evenings during the summer would be ideal.

WestStandGeoff
02-03-2014, 04:18 PM
A couple years ago, I would have said 7PM... now that I'm bringing my son, 4PM works much better to be able to get him out and back home in time for bed.

Richard
02-03-2014, 06:00 PM
9pm.

Red CB Toronto
02-03-2014, 07:34 PM
4 pm, allows you to still have morning/early afternoon to do things and also have your evenings.

Alonso
02-03-2014, 09:20 PM

Ditto.

2pm fall and spring.

8pm in the dead of summer.

prizby
02-03-2014, 11:31 PM
summer time and weekday games have to be night games...spending 2 hours in the sun is a health risk and skipping work is not an option, although I won't be opposed to late June/early July KO times that do not interfere with World Cup games.

I am ok with afternoon weekend (3-4pm) games during March, April, October, and dare I say November...think they need to keep in mind that there are many fans that watch a European league and keeping KO times away from, especially, big named Euro teams.

jmeisenh
02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
My favourite start time for Saturday games has always been and always will be 4:00pm. I'm expecting more night games, and hoping for a couple, but hoping not all of them are. But I do like consistency. Clearly I don't know what I want. ;)

Cashcleaner
02-04-2014, 03:57 AM
7pm works best for Saturday games during the summer. For the out-of-town crowd, that gets us back home before it's too late.

Also, c'mon! Night Games! Who doesn't like them?

tfcleeds
02-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Gotta say, I like the 4 pm games best (during the summer). Best of both worlds - late enough to avoid the hottest part of the day, but early enough to enjoy a few post-game pints on a patio or make other plans for the evening.

Ultra & Proud
02-04-2014, 10:22 AM
I like 4:30 the best for all of the above mentioned reasons. I like having a handful of 7 or 7:30s tossed in during the summer but not too many. Was good in the earlier years when night matches felt special as we only had a few. Those 12pm to 2pm start times are just sh*t. Inconvenient for almost everyone.

Carts
02-04-2014, 10:38 AM
4pm for me for most games (time for matchday, beers, the pub, getting psyched up)...

8pm for big Saturday games like Montreal/Columbus/etc...

The reason night games have such a great feeling/atmosphere/special feeling is they are not 'the norm'. If every game was a night game - we'd lose that feeling, rather quickly...

More night games sure, but keep them special / not too many - don't ruin the special feeling of the night games by having too many (think NHL with 6 outdoor games this year - after 3, I didn't bother watching the rest)...

Pookie
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM

Agreed.

Or if they wanted to relate to all of us rec league hockey/soccer players... 11pm Tuesdays.

cmonyoureds
02-04-2014, 01:56 PM
4pm. Gives time for out of towners to get into the city and enjoy an afternoon on the patio at Shoeless, or wherever you choose, before heading over for the game.

Carts
02-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Or if they wanted to relate to all of us rec league hockey/soccer players... 11pm Tuesdays.

LOL!!!! So true...

james
02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
I would like a bit of a mix, some afternoon 3-4pm games, but I would like some more Night games as well, we have always had very few night games.

Another thing I wouldn't mind is sometimes playing on Fridays, I know some might frown upon this a bit due to the fact most leagues play on Saturdays and Sundays, not Friday, (However Bundesliga have a friday game usually every week). Friday for me is just a good night out. Work during the day, and then leave work and head for BMO field, just be a great day for me!!

12pm and 1pm games are just to early for me. Atmosphere is often the worst compared to any other time games.

Suds
02-05-2014, 03:28 PM
As mentioned, early afternoons in the spring and fall, and evenings during the summer would be ideal.

yep .. this would be my vote

love the night games in the summer .. they have a certain vibe to them

Auzzy
02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I can't vote on this poll, because it only allows one answer... as ManUtd4ever & many others have said: for the weekends, early afternoons in spring and late fall; evenings during the summer. (September evening games can still be awesome.)

The spring is the worst in the evening -- Lake Ontario makes it so much colder down near the waterfront than the rest of the city during that time. Doesn't matter how many layers I wear; didn't help when I when I was in the south end for a few games and jumped around. Alcohol also doesn't help me. Friends and family that normally come along, also aren't interested in the cold evening games in spring & fall. I go anyway regardless, but I would be happier with early afternoon games during that time.

burlington Red
02-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Saf afternoon for me, you can still have a few bevvies post game and keep your sat nights free for whatever.

Justin10000
02-07-2014, 03:22 PM
As a supporter "from away" I prefer Saturday games to start before 3PM.
That way I can take the morning VIA train from Ottawa, meet up with my RPB friends before the match, grab quick pint afterwards and still make the last train home to Ottawa at 18:30.

With web fares it can be much cheaper than driving and staying over for a night.

I do agree though that mid summer it only makes sense to have games after or close to sun down.

Just curious,

Do you buy your VIA tickets in advance with the release of the schedule?

Ultra & Proud
02-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I'd like them to start right now. Sooner the better.

OgtheDim
02-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Buried in a SSH email that just went out.

Also to note, all times for home matches for the campaign are expected to be released next week so stay tuned for more information.

Carts
02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Here are a few of the home game times released for the upcoming season...

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Saturday, March 22, 2014..........4:30pm.......DC United @ Toronto

Saturday, April 12, 2014............4:00pm........Colorado @ Toronto

Saturday May 3, 2014...............1:00pm.......New England @ Toronto

Saturday, May 17, 2014.............4:30pm.......New York @ Toronto

Saturday May 31,2014...............5:00pm.......Columbus @ Toronto

Saturday, June 07, 2014............4:00pm.......San Jose @ Toronto

Saturday July 5, 2014..............4:00pm.......DC @ Toronto

Wednesday, July 16, 2014..........8:00pm........Vancouver @ Toronto

Saturday, July 26, 2014.............7:00pm........KC @ Toronto

Saturday September 6, 2014..........2:00pm.......Philadelphia @ Toronto

Saturday September 27, 2014..........1:00pm......Portland @ Toronto

Wednesday October 8, 2014............7:30pm......Houston @ Toronto

Saturday, October 18, 2014.......2:00pm.........Montreal @ Toronto

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

As always, times are subject to change...

Carts...

Mark in Ottawa
02-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Just curious,
Do you buy your VIA tickets in advance with the release of the schedule?

As soon as the schedule had game times attached I was looking for Weekend games that fit my personal calendar.
As soon as I could I would book VIA web fares and then secure a game ticket. Most often I would call on members of the RPB and could usually get a ticket at cost that way.

A few times I even managed to get a ticket through an Air Miles deal and sometimes even used Air Miles to get VIA gift cards which also helped to keep the costs down.

As always the "times subject to change" clause sets me up for big problems but so far so good.

P.S. Justin I notice your location is listed as Wychwood village Toronto. Where is that exactly?
I only ask as I am somewhat addicted to the beers and ales of the Wychwood Brewery in England :)

Auzzy
02-07-2014, 06:07 PM
P.S. Justin I notice your location is listed as Wychwood village Toronto. Where is that exactly?
I only ask as I am somewhat addicted to the beers and ales of the Wychwood Brewery in England :)

I assume around St. Clair West, west of Bathurst, in Toronto. Wychwood Ave, Wychwood Park, Wychwood Barns, etc.

St. Clair West, best spot in Toronto anyway. :D

kodiakTFC
02-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Wednesday, July 16, 2014..........8:00pm........Vancouver @ Toronto
Wednesday October 8, 2014............7:30pm......Houston @ Toronto

Nice. Prefer 8 over 7:30 but those 7pm kick offs last year were awful.

Abou Sky
02-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I'm a big fan of 3-4pm spring /fall and 7pm summer.

Lets me get some stuff done before and still have time for a beer and ribs at Joe's

prizby
02-08-2014, 10:00 AM
wish Toronto would get the scheduling right like Montreal

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/schedule

10 games with 6pm or later KO on weekend (7 of them are 7:30pm)

also for those traveling to Montreal away in August, game has been moved to the Sunday (6:00PM KO)

Pint
02-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Am i the only one that noticed that our game vs montreal in August is on the 3rd(sunday) on their schedule but the 2nd(saturday) on our schedule?

jmeisenh
02-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Am i the only one that noticed that our game vs montreal in August is on the 3rd(sunday) on their schedule but the 2nd(saturday) on our schedule?

I'm sure once the broadcast schedule for us is released it'll be changed on the website.

And thanks Prizby for pointing this out. With the change I'm certainly more able to make the trek to Montreal.

jmeisenh
02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Looking at L'Impact schedule and I hope it's similar to our. 4:00pm starts in the Spring would be awesome! Just hope night games in summer are at 7:00pm but now I'm just being picky.

Pint
02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm sure once the broadcast schedule for us is released it'll be changed on the website.

And thanks Prizby for pointing this out. With the change I'm certainly more able to make the trek to Montreal.

wow i completely missed that last line in prizby's post...

glaze
02-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Just started a new job that has me working pretty much every Saturday, so personally 7 p.m. would be ideal.

jmeisenh
02-08-2014, 08:58 PM
So every year for some reason, a few teams probably get wind of a couple match times and they post them on their site, but it isn't reflected on ours. Toronto FC seem to have an all-in or all-nothing attitude with home kick-off times. I've learned to wait but I've also learned a trick. Well it's not really a trick, I just go to the other team's websites.

So far, from the other team's websites this is what I've come up with for kick-off times. These are not official so please just use it as a guide until the club officially announces the times which I suspect will be very soon. Hope this helps.

March 22 v DC United - TBD
April 12 v Colorado Rapids - TBD
May 3 v New England Revolution - 1:00pm
May 7 v Vancouver Whitecaps (ACC) - 7:30pm
May 17 v New York Red Bulls - TBD
May 31 v Columbus Crew - 5:00pm
June 7 v San Jose Earthquakes - 4:00pm
July 5 v DC United - TBD
July 12 v Houston Dynamo - 7:00pm
July 16 v Vancouver Whitecaps - 8:00pm
July 26 v Sporting Kansas City - 7:00pm
August 23 v Chicago Fire - 7:00pm
August 30 v New England Revolution - TBD
September 6 v Philadelphia Union - 2:00pm
September 21 v Chivas USA - 3:00pm
September 27 v Portland Timbers - 1:00pm
October 8 v Houston Dynamo - 7:30pm
October 18 v Montreal Impact - 2:00pm

Now that you know of a few times, are you happy, upset, concerned? I'll put my thoughts in another post.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-08-2014, 09:43 PM
130-3pm are my favourite then i can enjoy the rest of the day. Also easier for my old man to come to games

prizby
02-09-2014, 09:04 AM
the only official, official time we know so far is the Chivas USA home game on a Sunday at 3:00pm because UniMas is broadcasting and that is their slot

DCTFC
02-10-2014, 02:14 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled)

Looks good to me! Then again, I'd be happy to watch a match at midnight if I had to haha.

OgtheDim
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Evening games in the summer and otherwise anytime that TV likes.

GBV
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled (http://www.torontofc.ca/news/2014/02/broadcast-schedule-unveiled)

Looks good to me! Then again, I'd be happy to watch a match at midnight if I had to haha.

Well it's about time. Pun intended.

Brooker
02-10-2014, 02:48 PM
As long as the games aren't Noon or 1pm, I don't care. Those games are awful. A lot of the southend is still hungover from Friday, myself included.

Pint
02-10-2014, 02:52 PM
So Toronto FC approves of and encourages my afternoon drinking it appears....

tfcleeds
02-10-2014, 02:53 PM
So, a couple of 1 pm kickoffs as well as a couple 2 pm kickoffs thrown in there I see.

redangeldragnet
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Away game in Montreal for the August long weekend is Sunday at 6 pm...which is crappy for all the Osheaga festivalgoers .

OgtheDim
02-10-2014, 03:05 PM
As long as the games aren't Noon or 1pm, I don't care. Those games are awful. A lot of the southend is still hungover from Friday, myself included.

You are going to be so not happy on Sat. May 3 & Sat Sept 27

GuelphStorm2007
02-13-2014, 02:31 AM
My self The sart times I would like would be 2 in the early season, 7 inn the warmer months and 2 in the fall.

Carts
02-13-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm stoked we have 2-games during the CNE...

Two Saturday's, a 7pm & 5pm...

LOVE the games during the EX - free admission, the beer tents all around the stadium, & the atmosphere with the crowds etc...

Plus, who can forget partying with the Carnies! :drinking:

Carts...

Carts
02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
JULY 5th vs DC UNITED - has moved to 7pm...