PDA

View Full Version : Bez: This is our roster for now

Vinsanity89
01-25-2014, 01:42 PM
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Tim%20Bezbatchenko%20on%20Game%20Day.mp3

And other cool tidbits.

Looks like they want to try to keep Laba, but Laba is realistic about his options.

So with Orr being the last of the TFC signings for now, do you guys think TFC is done? Would you be comfortable with the below roster as is going into Seattle?

----------Bendik-----------
Orr --Henry--Caldwell---Morrow
Jackson--Laba--Bradley--Dero
------Gilberto---Defoe--------

Pint
01-25-2014, 01:46 PM

And other cool tidbits.

Looks like they want to try to keep Laba, but Laba is realistic about his options.

So with Orr being the last of the TFC signings for now, do you guys think TFC is done? Would you be comfortable with the below roster as is going into Seattle?

Would be very comfortable (although i would want rey starting): we have good players in each position, depth (osorio, dike, rey/jackson/dero etc on the bench)

notthesun
01-25-2014, 02:26 PM
If we hold onto Laba, it's a great roster. If we have to loan or trade Laba, it's a good roster.

I think we'll stand pat until the summer window. If Henry does well, the backline should stay the same. If he struggles we'll probably bring in a CB in the summer.

Leedsoronto
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Still need speed on the wings, Rey was ok.

But a fast left sided winger the likes of pennant, Bale or Walcott would be nice

flatpicker
01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Still need speed on the wings, Rey was ok.

But a fast left sided winger the likes of pennant, Bale or Walcott would be nice

In this league, there will always be spots that need improving. It's so hard to get a well balanced squad, and impossible with 3 DP's. So think the the team we have is pretty good considering. Can't wait for the season to start... fingers crossed this group gels quickly.

Huyton
01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
And games will be on TSN-1050, moving over from 590.

rocktml
01-25-2014, 02:49 PM
Am I the only one that thinks osorio should be starting

ManUtd4ever
01-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Depends on the formation, and if we can keep Laba. If we go with 2 central mids, our starting midfield will be Bradley and Laba most likely flanked by Jackson and Rey.

Shakes McQueen
01-25-2014, 03:08 PM
I understand if keeping Laba in the lineup is too tall of an order now, but if we can't, I hope the team just loans him.

- Scott

Red CB Toronto
01-25-2014, 04:11 PM
And games will be on TSN-1050, moving over from 590.

They actually were on both TSN and the Fan last year. Kind of like with all the Bell-Rogers MLSE properties being shared between both radio stations. It will be interesting to see if this way remains.

Vinsanity89
01-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Biggest thing with the Rey / Osorio / Jackson "Who Should Start" debate is that many are underrating Jackson. This guy is fiery but is extremely talented and pacey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6g0z6zEOGo

Vinsanity89
01-25-2014, 04:23 PM
Check 4:39 where he makes mincemeat of Santos.

Huyton
01-25-2014, 04:36 PM
They actually were on both TSN and the Fan last year. Kind of like with all the Bell-Rogers MLSE properties being shared between both radio stations. It will be interesting to see if this way remains.

That might explain why I couldn't find some of the games on the radio last year. I never thought to check 1050.

Chevy
01-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Check 4:39 where he makes mincemeat of Santos.

He reminds me of a blast from the past - Johann Smith. However with a ton of skill.

ManUtd4ever
01-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Biggest thing with the Rey / Osorio / Jackson "Who Should Start" debate is that many are underrating Jackson. This guy is fiery but is extremely talented and pacey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6g0z6zEOGo

The end to end run at 6:25 is brilliant.

19Barrett19
01-25-2014, 08:59 PM
My biggest memory of Jackson was CCL he was a pest always thought highly of him glad he's with us. Now we have brazilian Spanish and Argentine flavor add to a little bit of British warrior Scott's and topped of with best American pick in the middle... but best of all the Canadian youth that surrounds the team. This is a bloody big deal.

CretanBull
01-25-2014, 09:37 PM

And other cool tidbits.

That will be the best starting XI in TFC history with some quality on the bench too. As others have said, you can't build a perfect team in this league - the cap and rules don't allow for it and when you have 3 DPs it's totally impossible. You have to build a team where your strengths more than make up for your weaknesses and I think this roster does that.

Our backline has two guys with Premiership experience, a MLS vet who is also an American international and (potentially) an emerging Canadian star with a DP quality DM sitting in front of them (a strength that covers up Henry's possible weakness). Our wide players are slow, but experienced and skilled - Bradley will be responsible for moving the ball forward so as long as those wing guys can cross the ball (and they can) we're good there. That's topped off by 2 DP calibre strikers. It's not likely to get any better in this league.

Shakes McQueen
01-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I'll be interested to see how Gilberto plays for us. If he and Defoe are what we hope, this team will be a ton of fun to watch. We've never had this kind of competence on the offensive side of things (on paper, anyway). We had a stretch where De Rosario single-handedly manufactured offense for us, and some nice goals in the Dichio era, and that's about it. Everything else has been fits and starts.

I just want the season to start. Waiting to see this squad in action, is killling me.

- Scott

CretanBull
01-25-2014, 10:01 PM
I'll be interested to see how Gilberto plays for us. If he and Defoe are what we hope, this team will be a ton of fun to watch. We've never had this kind of competence on the offensive side of things (on paper, anyway). We had a stretch where De Rosario single-handedly manufactured offense for us, and some nice goals in the Dichio era, and that's about it. Everything else has been fits and starts.

I just want the season to start. Waiting to see this squad in action, is killling me.

- Scott

I'm basing this on very little - my knowledge of how Defoe plays and youtube clips of Gilberto - but I'm guessing that Gilberto will play some kind of a withdrawn role up front, a false 9, a deep laying forward etc. I think that he'll be responsible for linking up the play between the midfield and Defoe while taking long strikes to mix things up and keep our attack from being too predictable.

Vinsanity89
01-25-2014, 11:08 PM
That will be the best starting XI in TFC history with some quality on the bench too. As others have said, you can't build a perfect team in this league - the cap and rules don't allow for it and when you have 3 DPs it's totally impossible. You have to build a team where your strengths more than make up for your weaknesses and I think this roster does that.

Our backline has two guys with Premiership experience, a MLS vet who is also an American international and (potentially) an emerging Canadian star with a DP quality DM sitting in front of them (a strength that covers up Henry's possible weakness). Our wide players are slow, but experienced and skilled - Bradley will be responsible for moving the ball forward so as long as those wing guys can cross the ball (and they can) we're good there. That's topped off by 2 DP calibre strikers. It's not likely to get any better in this league.

Interesting that Bez says they still have room under the salary cap to make more additions should anyone falter in camp.

GuelphStorm2007
01-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Osario will get some m inutes trust me With all the new signings I think this should be a wake up call for all the other Canadians on our roster like Henry etc to work even harder

SKB
01-26-2014, 12:57 AM

And other cool tidbits.

No way is DeRo a starting player, he is depth player at his age. Also we need service from the wings and that is not his strength. Rey is the starter. Otherwise I am happy with the line up as long as we keep Laba. He is the key to give strength down the spine

SKB
01-26-2014, 01:04 AM

With our present line up he will have to play his way into the starting line up. If Rey does not play to his capability then Orosio could crack the starting line up.

JavierMartini
01-26-2014, 01:28 AM
I'd Like to see Morgan speed up the wing again. Now that we have competent strikers to serve.

Remember the days of Koevermans heading in nice crosses from Morgan? Morgan loves low hard balls behind the backline, this will work beautifully for Defoe. I see a majority of our play working up that side. Even if the cross was to fail Jackson is quick and tricky winning balls. His ball recovery and acceleration has gone over a lot of peoples heads, especially with the signings. Just Imagine Having to win a ball vs jackson then go through Laba...... Not going to happen. We will probably see teams get frustrated and try to play medium balls up the other side of the pitch, which would be nice pickings for Caldwell in the air.

Hopefully the competition on the backline will push all our players to excel back there, another experienced player to mentor some of our youngins.

This is all theory crafting of course. However I cant recall a team of the past looking this good on paper while making a lot of sense.

----------------Bendik-----------------
Orr ----Henry---Caldwell-----*Morgan
--Jackson---Laba---Bradley--Rey--
-----------Gilberto-------------------
--------------------Defoe-----------

Kaz
01-26-2014, 10:41 AM
one of the nice things about having someone like DeRo is that when he is with DC and with us there was no one of serious threat up front, so the opposing defence would swarm him. Now they can't.. It's the issue with just one player up front that is a major threat.

now you have two Strikers, plus Dero, and Jackson will get in there too. It isn't a one trick pony offence that can be shut down by swarming a player or two.

With Laba (please can we keep him) and Bradley we will have a strong midfield command, and the back line is competent not super strong but middle of the road, which with a strong offence will keep (hopefully) some of the pressure off.

If they can gel this is a 40-60 point team

initially I was worried about the World Cup if Defoe, Dike, Bradley all have their teams go a ways in, could that be bad for us.

Then I thought

Jackson ---- Laba----Osorio-----Rey
-------------------Dero------------
--------------Gilberto----------------

And I wasn't as worried any more, that still is decent looking for a few games.