PDA

View Full Version : CSA Strategic Plan 2014-2018

Yohan
01-23-2014, 11:50 AM
http://www.canadasoccer.com/files/CanadaSoccer_StrategicPlan2014_2018_EN.pdf

Putting it here because it does have implications to TFC and MLS (esp at youth level)

3.4 Successfully prepare and submit a bid to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Oldtimer
01-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Now, there's a plan to get Canada into playing in a WC!! Host the thing!! (For we all know Canada can't get in by winning :facepalm:)

Richard
01-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Well Im sure with Cochrane doing the admin those pdf docs will make it to FIFA head office(NOT).

Fort York Redcoat
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
How many mentions of Gold Cup? They looking to run before they walk? Or are they counting WWcup as a test.

cmonyoureds
01-23-2014, 02:01 PM
This document insinuates the CSA has a plan.
Therefore it is clearly a fake.

ryan
01-23-2014, 02:08 PM
How many mentions of Gold Cup? They looking to run before they walk? Or are they counting WWcup as a test.

Perhaps. I think between the 2007 U20 World Cup, 2010 Winter Olympics, 2015 Pan Am Games, 2015 WWCup....we've got enough experience (coming or happened already, provided the 2015 events don't flop) in hosting international events to say if we can do this.

Waggy
01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
This document insinuates the CSA has a plan.
Therefore it is clearly a fake.

Hahahahaha, oh man. That got a legit LOL. Kudos. Well played.

I can easily see us having the infrastructure to host a World Cup. But I can't see us "bidding" whatever the going rate for a World Cup in bribes costs.

Fort York Redcoat
01-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Perhaps. I think between the 2007 U20 World Cup, 2010 Winter Olympics, 2015 Pan Am Games, 2015 WWCup....we've got enough experience (coming or happened already, provided the 2015 events don't flop) in hosting international events to say if we can do this.

That is optimistic.

I won't turn it down but this is shooting for the moon here. We're not Qatar, here.

Red4ever
01-23-2014, 02:27 PM

Not to mention a popular tourist destination, a G8 developed nation and neighbour with a population of 300 million people to our south.

We don't need to share with the states. They'll come anyway as if they are hosting it.

ag futbol
01-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Overall it looks like a good document.

I can't blame them for throwing their hat in the ring on the 2026 WC, but I doubt we will be the successful bidder. There are other places that will either build more infrastructure in the name of hosting (Mexico, anywhere in South America) or have better existing facilities (USA) than we do. Good news is Asia and Europe are out of the process due to FIFA bidding rules, but still feel like we are at a disadvantage. Maybe that's just my ingrained sense of cynicism, but whatever.

Yohan
01-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Overall it looks like a good document.

I can't blame them for throwing their hat in the ring on the 2026 WC, but I doubt we will be the successful bidder. There are other places that will either build more infrastructure in the name of hosting (Mexico, anywhere in South America) or have better existing facilities (USA) than we do. Good news is Asia and Europe are out of the process due to FIFA bidding rules, but still feel like we are at a disadvantage. Maybe that's just my ingrained sense of cynicism, but whatever.
In the words of Tim L, why can't we be great?

World Cup is one event that will ensures every Canadian take notice of soccer. If we want the game to grow in Canada, I'm convinced we must host World Cup. And FIFA may give Canada the nod, because Canada has the potential to host WC, and it's one of few places that may leave a lasting legacy, like USA 94 did. And after all the negative press from Sochi, Brazil and Qatar, FIFA might want to look towards a relatively stable country.

It'll cost tons of money, but a lot of money would go towards improving infrastructure. Toronto might finally get a subway or rapid public transit to Pearson. There is so little political will to spend money on Canada's decaying infrastructure, and only something huge like World Cup might generate enough public support to spend money. For feds, it'll bring one helluva prestige that'll put Canada on notice to the world. You want attention? Host a WC.

We must be careful and ensure proper planning is done so that stadia used are continually be used after WC. This is where I think partnership with CFL comes handy. Canada only soccer league or D2 NASL teams won't need 40k stadias, but CFL teams can use them. Multi use stadias (with retractable seating for soccer games) can be built. And it'll give the feds more incentive to support WC bid. We don't want what happened to South Korea or South Africa stadias to happen here.

Would anyone complain if TFC ends up getting a 50k state of art SSS after WC 2026? (80k with reduced capacity)

I truly believe that when there is the will, things can happen. Let's dream big.

Red CB Toronto
01-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I really believe the World Cup will go back to the US before coming to Canada. Not a single stadium would need to be build for it as there is not a single NFL stadium smaller than 60k. They also have a few options for the final that could have over 100k.

ag futbol
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Depends what you define as great. Blowing the public purse on a sporting even doesn't exactly reek of greatness.

You know as well as I do that the infrastructure argument is a load of shit. Countries with far greater needs for soccer facilities than ours have struggled with that bill. There are tons of studies out there poking holes the size of the grand canyon in stadium economics and hosting major events such as these. And really, if we were going to spend that amount of money on infrastructure there are projects out there that have far greater paybacks than stadiums. Public transportation, public works, are just two categories of many that would provide a much greater benefit to the public at large and actually help reduce the huge infrastructure deficit we have.

Hosting a party is nice. Hosting a lavish party with your college trust fund is dumb. And that's the equivalent of hosting a WC in Canada's case.

TFC07
01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
I really believe the World Cup will go back to the US before coming to Canada. Not a single stadium would need to be build for it as there is not a single NFL stadium smaller than 60k. They also have a few options for the final that could have over 100k.

I disagree. FIFA want have World Cup at places where they haven't hosted before. South America and Mexico isn't stable while USA is generally hated by everyone.

Canada seems like logical place where it's safe, clean, friendly (for tourists) and liked by everyone. If CSA gets support from government, then Canada (compare to rest of America continent) would be front runners.

Plus, Canada in the past has proven to do well hosting FIFA events (even breaking an attendance record for U-20 world cup) while WWC 2015 looks like another success for Canada.

TFC07
01-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Depends what you define as great. Blowing the public purse on a sporting even doesn't exactly reek of greatness.

You know as well as I do that the infrastructure argument is a load of shit. Countries with far greater needs for soccer facilities than ours have struggled with that bill. There are tons of studies out there poking holes the size of the grand canyon in stadium economics and hosting major events such as these. And really, if we were going to spend that amount of money on infrastructure there are projects out there that have far greater paybacks than stadiums. Public transportation, public works, are just two categories of many that would provide a much greater benefit to the public at large and actually help reduce the huge infrastructure deficit we have.

Hosting a party is nice. Hosting a lavish party with your college trust fund is dumb. And that's the equivalent of hosting a WC in Canada's case.

Did Under 20 world cup hurt Canada's wallet?

Did Under 20 help grow soccer in this country and leaving a legacy?

I am assuming stadiums after world cup will be used by CFL teams and possibly soccer teams. So it's not like we're wasting billions on renovating stadiums across the country without getting any ROI.

PopePouri
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM
It jump started Soccer in the US with MLS. We need that.

OgtheDim
01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
I disagree. FIFA want have World Cup at places where they haven't hosted before. South America and Mexico isn't stable while USA is generally hated by everyone. ..

Remind me where Brazil is again and how much Russia is universally loved?

FIFA goes where the money is, whether they've been there before or not. They will go wherever the money is coming from when the decision is made. That is as likely to be China as the US, or somewhere in Western Europe. Or Australia. Or back to Japan. And they expect the government to pay for all this.

This is not happening here.

TFC07
01-23-2014, 03:40 PM

FIFA goes where the money is, whether they've been there before or not. They will go wherever the money is coming from when the decision is made. That is as likely to be China as the US, or somewhere in Western Europe. Or Australia. Or back to Japan. And they expect the government to pay for all this.

Well in that case, USA would have won World Cup bidding, but they lost. Same with Western Europe (UK) and Australia!

However, FIFA has faced a lot of backlash from their decision that they will think twice now before rewarding countries like Russia and Qatar.

Brazil decision had to do more with location (hosting a world cup in South America) than anything else. It wasn't about money like some think.

Red4ever
01-23-2014, 03:44 PM
The window that we have now won't come around for another 5 cycles 20 years (so 33 years total)

Pint
01-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Why are we bidding for the World cup when the sport doesn't even get enough respect in Toronto to keep our stadium soccer specific? We are hosting a Womens world cup with turf... 2026 is a long ways away but we as a nation also have a long ways to go before. Maybe the bid can bring Soccer forward in this country but i think we may be a little ahead of ourselves at the moment. I will say that if we get it i will be extremely excited

Those are my mixed reactions to the thoughts of the world cup

ag futbol
01-23-2014, 03:59 PM
Did Under 20 world cup hurt Canada's wallet?

Did Under 20 help grow soccer in this country and leaving a legacy?

I am assuming stadiums after world cup will be used by CFL teams and possibly soccer teams. So it's not like we're wasting billions on renovating stadiums across the country without getting any ROI.
U20 and a full world cup are apples and oranges. The level of investment required, the competitiveness of the bidding process, level of government support required, totally different.

All you need to know about ROI has been already written in this thread. There simply isn't one.

Alonso
01-23-2014, 04:04 PM

World Cup is one event that will ensures every Canadian take notice of soccer. If we want the game to grow in Canada, I'm convinced we must host World Cup. And FIFA may give Canada the nod, because Canada has the potential to host WC, and it's one of few places that may leave a lasting legacy, like USA 94 did. And after all the negative press from Sochi, Brazil and Qatar, FIFA might want to look towards a relatively stable country.

It'll cost tons of money, but a lot of money would go towards improving infrastructure. Toronto might finally get a subway or rapid public transit to Pearson. There is so little political will to spend money on Canada's decaying infrastructure, and only something huge like World Cup might generate enough public support to spend money. For feds, it'll bring one helluva prestige that'll put Canada on notice to the world. You want attention? Host a WC.

We must be careful and ensure proper planning is done so that stadia used are continually be used after WC. This is where I think partnership with CFL comes handy. Canada only soccer league or D2 NASL teams won't need 40k stadias, but CFL teams can use them. Multi use stadias (with retractable seating for soccer games) can be built. And it'll give the feds more incentive to support WC bid. We don't want what happened to South Korea or South Africa stadias to happen here.

Would anyone complain if TFC ends up getting a 50k state of art SSS after WC 2026? (80k with reduced capacity)

I truly believe that when there is the will, things can happen. Let's dream big.

SOLD.

Where do I sign up?

Alonso
01-23-2014, 04:12 PM

Canada's economy is basically the same size as Brazil's, Russia's, and Australia's.

We are in the G8 (top 8 economies in the World)

We have the money, if not the will.

Initial B
01-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Yohan, sure TL can say a club can be great when it's your way or the highway, but the CSA is toothless.

Regardless of World Cup Aspirations, I'm disappointed by the tone of the document, especially the 4th point: Govern the game in Canada Professionally. They talk about furthering the brand and working more closely with the provinces, but we all know that's never going to happen. The Canadian soccer landscape is too fractured. I think it's going to be the professional clubs that bootstrap any sort of increase in Canadian player quality.

I mean, just look at the tone and wording at the end of that section:

Assess and prioritize items within a risk management framework so that we can commit to service new relationships and build organizational capacity without endangering the long-term viability of the Association.
Does that sound like an organization that's ready to take bold steps? The document is full of hopeful assertions but with no plan of how to achieve them. Heck, they're still in the middle of trying to reform themselves. Does anybody really think they have any idea of how to really move forward? Cochrane is on the board, so you know that anything the CSA plans is doomed to failure.

KGH
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
Toronto might finally get a subway or rapid public transit to Pearson.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/upexpress/upexpress.aspx

Already underway

OgtheDim
01-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Canada's economy is basically the same size as Brazil's, Russia's, and Australia's.

We are in the G8 (top 8 economies in the World)

We have the money, if not the will.

I think my definition of money is different from yours.

That's Ok. I also wonder about my life if I won the lottery.

Yohan
01-23-2014, 05:07 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/canada-soccers-culture-change/
Victor M interview

ag futbol
01-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Yohan, sure TL can say a club can be great when it's your way or the highway, but the CSA is toothless.

Regardless of World Cup Aspirations, I'm disappointed by the tone of the document, especially the 4th point: Govern the game in Canada Professionally. They talk about furthering the brand and working more closely with the provinces, but we all know that's never going to happen. The Canadian soccer landscape is too fractured. I think it's going to be the professional clubs that bootstrap any sort of increase in Canadian player quality.

I mean, just look at the tone and wording at the end of that section:

Does that sound like an organization that's ready to take bold steps? The document is full of hopeful assertions but with no plan of how to achieve them. Heck, they're still in the middle of trying to reform themselves. Does anybody really think they have any idea of how to really move forward? Cochrane is on the board, so you know that anything the CSA plans is doomed to failure.
I hear you, and that blurb you lifted is pretty funny, but note this is just a marketing document meant for public consumption. They don't want to snow you with the details and give specifics, just give you a general idea.

This is a better blueprint than some of the ones I've seen in the past (Wellness To the World Cup? joke) but let's see what they do with it. They have a few goals that inspire confidence. I like that coaching / technical training is their 1a priority, that is a great step in the right direction.

So nice plan, but CSA always has plans. The problem is they never execute on them.

cmonyoureds
01-23-2014, 09:11 PM
I'd rather the world cup than the Olympics that were rumored.

Having said that, let the USA shell out the enticements in briefcases and I'll travel there to watch it. They can sell it as a recession buster to jump start the economy.

Flipityflu
01-23-2014, 11:25 PM
so does anybody actually think its realistic that Canada will build 10-12 world cup capable stadiums needed to host ? South Africa had 10, Brazil will have 12.