PDA

View Full Version : Larry Tanenbaum & MLSE interested in buying Sheffield Wednesday

moralis
01-17-2014, 03:00 PM
This is a crazy rumor, but it seems Larry Tanenbaum & MLSE are interested in buying Sheffield Wednesday:

Jimmy ‏@JFergusonSPORT (https://twitter.com/JFergusonSPORT) 2h (https://twitter.com/JFergusonSPORT/status/424238902082166786) Canadian billionaire Lawrence Tanenbaum, owner of Maple Leaf Sports & Ents has expressed an interest in buying out #SWFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SWFC&src=hash) on Canadian TV

https://twitter.com/JFergusonSPORT/status/424238902082166786

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23SWFC&src=hash&f=realtime

ag futbol
01-17-2014, 03:02 PM
I would like to know when this happened. They had interest in Sheffield a long time ago, but I believe that has long since passed.

Can't see the current organization making that sort of move, it's way outside their mandate.

PopePouri
01-17-2014, 03:07 PM
I hope they do and then screw it up royally.

- Leeds fan

MartinUtd
01-17-2014, 03:13 PM
First it was Leeds now Sheffield? At this rate they'll end up with Wakefield FC.

YORKSHIRE!

Super
01-17-2014, 03:14 PM
They certainly have the money to fix up the club and make a strong run for the Premiership. But it all depends on their willingness to properly invest in the club. Otherwise it's just a really odd move.

tfcleeds
01-17-2014, 03:16 PM
I'd rather they put their energies into running TFC and winning championships with them first.

Waggy
Since we all have 'Canadian TV', did anyone see the report in question? Because I certainly haven't seen Larry on TV talking about Sheffield

cmonyoureds
I hope they do and then screw it up royally.

- Leeds fan

First part - meh
Second part - guaranteed

Super
01-17-2014, 03:25 PM
I'd rather they put their energies into running TFC and winning championships with them first.

I don't see how buying another sports property would effect TFC negatively or positively. It's not like we need Tanenbaum and his team of financial guys to sit and work hard on TFC 24 hours a day. That's all been done now. The rest is up to Bez and Ryan Nelsen (whom I saw at Yonge/Eg today btw - I guess he lives up there). Also, it could be positive as we could have an advantage in loaning/selling/buying players from the other club.

gdg_9
01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Well it would fit in perfectly with MLSE's new marketing scheme...

All Drake all the time.

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/attachments/football-manager-2012-stories/258500d1341680405-sheffield-wednesday-story-sheffield-wednesday.png http://i.ebayimg.com/t/OVOXO-Drake-TAKE-CARE-OWL-YOLO-The-Weeknd-Octobers-Very-YMCMB-Decal-Sticker-/00/s/MjY2WDQwNw==/$(KGrHqVHJFIE88e5TuRWBPbJUW5oig~~60_35.JPG

69Chevy396
01-17-2014, 04:39 PM
I heard something about this earlier today. It seems MLSE 's point man in this venture is Mo Johnson, an expert in the area of scouting, player development, contract negotiation, and loves to partake in a pint or two of piss warm beer.

Huyton
01-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Mmmm...Chip butties and Yorkshire pudding at BMO Field.

Red4ever
01-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Est 1867 too.

Something Canadian about that.

Richard
01-17-2014, 05:41 PM
I always laugh when these rumors come up. MLSE cant produce a winner in the softest leagues in the world, they are pampered and coddled with a salary cap in addition to being rewarded for sucking.

I don't know what they are thinking but they are going nowhere in that fierce English environment without substantial investments, unless MLSE got a Sheikh they are toast in that competitive environment.

TFC07
01-17-2014, 05:52 PM
Since NFL dream is dead (for now), MLSE is focusing on buying a soccer club to increase their portfolio value. I believe Leiweke wants to double current MLSE value by end of his contract with MLSE. Buying English club in lower division and building it up to get into first division would be huge for MLSE ROI. I believe each EPL team gets 1 billion pounds from TV contract alone. So money and upside is there if MLSE can build a winner and get promoted to first division (and still be there of course). In TFC POV: We can loan our players or get players from EPL for cheap. So TFC benefits if MLSE decides to buy an English club.

Milanista
01-17-2014, 05:56 PM
1 billion each? I am 99.999% that is incorrect information

Since NFL dream is dead (for now), MLSE is focusing on buying a soccer club to increase their portfolio value. I believe Leiweke wants to double current MLSE value by end of his contract with MLSE. Buying English club in lower division and building it up to get into first division would be huge for MLSE ROI. I believe each EPL team gets 1 billion pounds from TV contract alone. So money and upside is there if MLSE can build a winner and get promoted to first division (and still be there of course). In TFC POV: We can loan our players or get players from EPL for cheap. So TFC benefits if MLSE decides to buy an English club.

TFC07
01-17-2014, 06:03 PM

Sorry, you're right. EPL as a league gets billions of pounds (1 billion last I heard, but it probably be more now). Not sure how much each team gets now, but TV money alone is huge.

EDIT: It's 3 billion pounds for domestic TV rights alone (3 year period). Add foreign rights, it's even more money for clubs. Point is EPL TV money is huge (NFL like)!

Source: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/english-premier-league-snags-47b-tv-deal-2012-06-13

ag futbol
01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Since we all have 'Canadian TV', did anyone see the report in question? Because I certainly haven't seen Larry on TV talking about Sheffield
Yeah, I very much doubt this happened recently. Suspect someone read old press clippings and got very excited.

flatpicker
01-17-2014, 06:25 PM
The conversation of the SWFC forum is a fun read.

http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/207600-takeover-rumour/

Waggy
01-17-2014, 07:15 PM

God damn it Raptors, I KNEW that Ovo thing would come back to bite us quick

ensco
01-17-2014, 07:25 PM
This was a Peddie/Anselmi idea, and a pretty stupid one. Hatched when Teachers were doing a lot of deals in the UK. Main purpose of this was probably to create fun international travel opportunties, for Peddie and Anselmi.

Who here honestly believes that...

1) Tim Leiweke has the slightest interest in something this minor league and non-strategic
2) Larry Tanenbaum has the slightest interest in any sports business located more than 5 miles from his office

flatpicker
01-17-2014, 07:27 PM
So what is the mysterious "Canadian TV" this person tweets of?

brad
01-17-2014, 07:52 PM

I think it's something on the order of 150 million quid per team. Then there is the prize money for final league position.

Shakes McQueen
01-17-2014, 08:05 PM
So now we have linked to the SWFC supporters thread, and they have linked to our thread, and we are talking about eachothers' threads.

INCEPTION.

- Scott

tfcleeds
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM
So now we have linked to the SWFC supporters thread, and they have linked to our thread, and we are talking about eachothers' threads.

INCEPTION.

- Scott

Lol...yeah, if any Owls fans are reading this, you may have won last weekend, but just remember who rules the roost in Yorkshire! I figure we need to let you win every decade or so...

flatpicker
01-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Lol...yeah, if any Owls fans are reading this, eff you in regards to your win last Sat! I suppose beating us is OK once the odd decade, but remember who rules the roost in Yorkshire!

Haha! This story is going nowhere so let's just start a forum war between us and the SWFC forum. That at least is entertaining.

Richard
01-17-2014, 08:29 PM

INCEPTION.

- Scott

From the site:
1)Don't get too excited don't forget milans a billionaire and he's as tight as mother Teresa's fanny

2)Maple Leafs - Wonderful history, fantastic support, great stadium and a team that's been shite for years. He seems eminently well qualified

3)We would fit right in with them, every team they own are shite

LOL

Auzzy
01-17-2014, 08:38 PM
I think it's something on the order of 150 million quid per team. Then there is the prize money for final league position.

Well according to Toronto mayoral math, that's about a billion, so TFC07 was right after all.

Waggy
01-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Haha! This story is going nowhere so let's just start a forum war between us and the SWFC forum. That at least is entertaining.

Amazing haha. YORKSHIRE IS A PUDDING!!

They should pray they don't get the MLSE stink on them. New owners or not, they wouldn't be getting Leiweke or Drake so they'd be up shits creek

Detroit_TFC
01-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Vincent Tan has lowered the bar for foreign owners in English fb. As long as Larry doesn't hire some relative's drinking buddy as chairman, it's good.

prizby
01-17-2014, 10:49 PM
It's a bloody big deal

prizby
01-17-2014, 10:59 PM

funny part is they only realize Rogers is a part owner of MLSE; they haven't figured out that Rogers biggest competitor Bell owns another 37.5%...maybe Rogers can buy the Owls and Bell can buy the Blades...now that'd be funny

Shakes McQueen
01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
funny part is they only realize Rogers is a part owner of MLSE; they haven't figured out that Rogers biggest competitor Bell owns another 37.5%...maybe Rogers can buy the Owls and Bell can buy the Blades...now that'd be funny

Man, that'd be weird if Bell and Rogers had a footy proxy war in a far off land.

- Scott

Valdal
01-18-2014, 11:30 PM
No matter what if they do this.. i will become a soccer fan and watch every day of Sheffield every weekend no matter what.. It would generate millions of dollars for MLSE and be a stable in Ontario for many years to come. :)

Valdal
01-18-2014, 11:31 PM
Bell is going to be bought out of MLSE soon and put a NHL team in Markham you can mark my words.. this wont last long between them

Haddy
01-18-2014, 11:42 PM
Bell is going to be bought out of MLSE soon and put a NHL team in Markham you can mark my words.. this wont last long between them

That would be one hell of a rivalry. Near perfect ownership for it :cheers:

Valdal
01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
it makes to much sense financially.. Bell who owns TSN got shafted in the mega billion dollar deal and will want revenge for sure.

Markham NHL team owned and operated by Bell is going to happen i can see it now.. Living in Pickering,Ontario Markham is only 25-40 minute drive from Pickering,Ajax,Whitby,Oshawa and Courtice with a population of over 500'000 a team would thrive in Markham and Bell knows it

OgtheDim
01-19-2014, 08:50 AM
You're an MLSE groupie?

So what you are saying is they are going to give up a % of the most profitable set of sports franchises in the country, providing content in 3 leagues (4 if you count lacrosse), and hand that to their major business rival, who happens to be the owner of the other major venue in town and the other sports team in town, and then spend over a $1 billion in start up costs, including the obligatory rights pay out to their major rival just to create the New York Islanders of Toronto.

And all this because TSN didn't get the hockey broadcast contract.

Yeah.....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

TFC07
01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
^^Also, why would Bell move to eastern part of GTA when there's more people living in western part of GTA? Peel region alone has about 1.2 million people living there which is double amount than eastern part of GTA.

Beach_Red
01-19-2014, 12:33 PM
You're an MLSE groupie?

So what you are saying is they are going to give up a % of the most profitable set of sports franchises in the country, providing content in 3 leagues (4 if you count lacrosse), and hand that to their major business rival, who happens to be the owner of the other major venue in town and the other sports team in town, and then spend over a $1 billion in start up costs, including the obligatory rights pay out to their major rival just to create the New York Islanders of Toronto.

And all this because TSN didn't get the hockey broadcast contract.

Yeah.....riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Have there ever been more cooperative and friendly business "rivals?" It looks like they're just splitting up the sports market pretty evenly between themselves.

A second GTA team in the NHL might be a good way to sell even more subscriptions and phone plans. And now it's the same companies in partnership on both sides of the negotiations. And yet somehow we call this competition...

If someone else puts up the money for an arena, Bogers will put a team in it.

Blizzard
01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Have there ever been more cooperative and friendly business "rivals?" It looks like they're just splitting up the sports market pretty evenly between themselves.

So was MLSE Poland or Berlin?

ProfessorDamage
01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Not trying to challenge anyone's reading comprehension here, but that tweet says nothing about MLSE's involvement and only suggests Larry wants to buy SWFC, not Larry AND MLSE...

ensco
01-19-2014, 03:42 PM
So was MLSE Poland or Berlin?

I like this question!

I think they were pre war France, under Teachers. Puffed up blowhards who loved all the trappings, but didn't have a real clue what they were doing.

Waggy
01-19-2014, 04:15 PM
I like this question!

I think they were pre war France, under Teachers. Puffed up blowhards who loved all the trappings, but didn't have a real clue what they were doing.

The Maginot line was their profit margins! "Yes, we'll hide behind that! Then we'll be safe from criticism!"

Wait... it actually worked. Never mind.