PDA

View Full Version : Nelsen says they're trying to keep Laba

jloome
01-14-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/01/14/toronto-fc-vow-move-hell-and-high-water-keep-matias-laba-despite-bradley-def

levyashin
01-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Never mind trying.
MAKE IT HAPPEN! :drum:

__wowza
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
props to armen for asking what we were all thinking.
i'm sure he got himself into a far bit of trouble over it.

Shakes McQueen
01-14-2014, 07:29 PM
props to armen for asking what we were all thinking.
i'm sure he got himself into a far bit of trouble over it.

Can't imagine why. It was the one big question sitting out there in the wake of these new DP signings - aside from how it felt to get a call from Drake, anyway.

I hope Toronto find a way to keep Laba, but unless we have a vast trove of allocation I'm not aware of, I just don't see how it happens. On the bright side, selling or loaning him could help us reinforce our team elsewhere.

- Scott

Jack
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Can't imagine why. It was the one big question sitting out there in the wake of these new DP signings - aside from how it felt to get a call from Drake, anyway.

I hope Toronto find a way to keep Laba, but unless we have a vast trove of allocation I'm not aware of, I just don't see how it happens. On the bright side, selling or loaning him could help us reinforce our team elsewhere.

- Scott
I'm hoping they've some tricks left in the magic box. I've been impressed, to say the least, by the moves they are making. It's been a long time (if ever) since TFC management has walked the walk.

Waggy
01-14-2014, 07:56 PM
The best part of that article is the comment section. I love how basically all non LAG/Crew MLS fans are on board with us and the ambitious the clubs shown. They're right, MLS should be rewarding the ambitious. I said it as soon as this was announced, I don't think Laba will go anywhere. Either we'll magically find some allocation or a rule will be altered or Leiweke will give Garber a bag of magic beans but somehow, someway, I don't think we lose Laba

Richard
01-14-2014, 07:57 PM
One of the comments on the article :"Remember when everyone freaked out at LA for having four DPs when Donovan, Beckham, Juan Pablo Angel and Robbie Keane were technically on the same roster for, like, a day? "The league gives LA whatever they want rabble rabble rabble!"

Hopefully they make it work somehow I want TFC to lobby for an additional DP slot or some rule that excludes these type of younger players.

ensco
01-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping they've some tricks left in the magic box. I've been impressed, to say the least, by the moves they are making. It's been a long time (if ever) since TFC management has walked the walk.

I think you said this a couple of days ago: I too am completely fine if the price of Bradley is that TFC have to move Laba.

He is a nice looking prospect, and I hope they figure out a way to keep him. Loaning him out sounds like the only likely way to make this work.

SKB
01-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Very positive news indeed, I am so glad to hear they are looking at solutions to keep Laba

Huyton
01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
We'll need Laba when Bradley is in Brazil.

Do we have enough allocation money to pay down his contract? Any amateur capologists out there who know?

kodiakTFC
01-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Can you trade for another team's DP spot? I'm guessing no?

tfcleeds
01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I really hope we manage to hang on to him. For all the positive moves we've made, getting rid of him just seems like something the old regime would do. The lad is quality.

SKB
01-14-2014, 11:01 PM
I really hope we manage to hang on to him. For all the positive moves we've made, getting rid of him just seems like something the old regime would do. The lad is quality.

Yes he is good now and in 3-4 years he will great!

notthesun
01-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Tim B (paraphrased) quotes from in his interview that just went down on The Fan 590:

"We're gonna try to keep Matias. Matias is a DP and there are certain rules in the league you just can't get around. We're gonna work with the league. I'm not a magician, the league won't do me any favours they wouldn't give to anyone else. But we're going to work with the league to try to keep him."

Asked about the possibility of a loan, perhaps to Roma: "You have to look at all options. Loaning him internationally is an option. But we're motivated to keeping him in the league."

PopePouri
01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
They obviously see him as a major asset not just for TFC but as an investment into something special.

I wouldn't be surprised if they loan him to another MLS club given the recent rule changes.

Detroit_TFC
01-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Loaning him and holding on to his rights for 2015 is an acceptable fall back position IMO. Perhaps the new CBA will make some room.

To me perfectly honest I much rather do that than have some bullshit special rule made up, too much of that already and it's embarrassing.

razor787
01-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Tim B (paraphrased) quotes from in his interview that just went down on The Fan 590:

"We're gonna try to keep Matias. Matias is a DP and there are certain rules in the league you just can't get around. We're gonna work with the league. I'm not a magician, the league won't do me any favours they wouldn't give to anyone else. But we're going to work with the league to try to keep him."

Asked about the possibility of a loan, perhaps to Roma: "You have to look at all options. Loaning him internationally is an option. But we're motivated to keeping him in the league."

If he isn't on our squad, I don't want him in the league. Letting another MLS team use our star player just doesn't sit right with me. I would much prefer an international loan, if we can't keep him around.

TFC07
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
How much allocation money do we need to make Laba a non-DP?

Yohan
01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
my guess is depends on whether transfer fees get amortized over option yrs too, or just guaranteed years. hard to say without knowing details of contract, but assuming Laba is on standard MLS 2+2 option contract, a salary of 500k (I don't see good SA players coming for anything less) and rumoured 1.5 mil transfer fee. DP cap hit is supposedly 375k in 2014.

if transfer fee is amortized over just 2 years, 750k fee + 500k salary = 1.25 mil year minus 375k DP cap hit is 875k in allocation money required. that'd about blow whatever allocation money TFC has left, and be rather poor use of allocation fund.

Canary10
01-15-2014, 12:47 PM

- Scott

Yeah. We could get a starting central midfielder. Ha ha.

Chinatownchef
01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
If he isn't on our squad, I don't want him in the league. Letting another MLS team use our star player just doesn't sit right with me. I would much prefer an international loan, if we can't keep him around.

I'd be fine if he was loaned to say Chivas USA, they don't seem to have the resources to upgrade their talent on the field, other than adding an elderly Mexican League guy in Bofo. At least Laba would be able manage ok in that L.A. environment.

TFC07
01-15-2014, 01:18 PM
my guess is depends on whether transfer fees get amortized over option yrs too, or just guaranteed years. hard to say without knowing details of contract, but assuming Laba is on standard MLS 2+2 option contract, a salary of 500k (I don't see good SA players coming for anything less) and rumoured 1.5 mil transfer fee. DP cap hit is supposedly 375k in 2014.

if transfer fee is amortized over just 2 years, 750k fee + 500k salary = 1.25 mil year minus 375k DP cap hit is 875k in allocation money required. that'd about blow whatever allocation money TFC has left, and be rather poor use of allocation fund.

So we're screwed! I guess best solution is to loan Laba somewhere for a year.

arsenal
01-15-2014, 01:22 PM
I love Laba .... but I am not getting my hopes up they are keeping him based on comments from Nelson or Tim B. If they have to loan or trade/sell him they would be foolish to state that in the press and potentially drive down his value.

Jack
01-15-2014, 03:21 PM
I think you said this a couple of days ago: I too am completely fine if the price of Bradley is that TFC have to move Laba.

He is a nice looking prospect, and I hope they figure out a way to keep him. Loaning him out sounds like the only likely way to make this work.
Yep. You make the Laba for Bradley swap all day, every day. But having them both is a nice dream.

Ultra & Proud
01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Yep. You make the Laba for Bradley swap all day, every day. But having them both is a nice dream.
Hearing a lot if rumblings (aka. whining) that a restructured Laba contract is forthcoming. Looks like more possibility than dreaming for now.

ProfessorDamage
01-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Laba gets loaned, and we loan in a player from Roma while we figure out his situation for the long term.

Carts
01-15-2014, 03:32 PM
C'mon let's get creative...

Pay him a simple salary and tell him to look under the cushions in the players lounge not knowing there's a few hundred grand in there...

Or MLSE buys a house in the beaches, sells it to him for $1...

Or accidentally leave a wallet in the washroom with a few hundred grand in it...

Or one of his relatives wins the 50/50 at BMO Field every game all season long...

There's gotta be a way around this...

Carts... g:D

PopePouri
01-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Maybe MLS can clarify what the next CBA would look like. Would it contain an extra DP slot? If so, we can restructure his contract and downgrade it a non-DP and then play him more next year.

Yohan
01-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Maybe MLS can clarify what the next CBA would look like. Would it contain an extra DP slot? If so, we can restructure his contract and downgrade it a non-DP and then play him more next year.
ahahahaha. yeah. in your dreams man. not laughing at you, but the thought of MLS giving away CBA info is hilarious

MartinUtd
01-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Pay him a simple salary and tell him to look under the cushions in the players lounge not knowing there's a few hundred grand in there...

Or accidentally leave a wallet in the washroom with a few hundred grand in it...

Or one of his relatives wins the 50/50 at BMO Field every game all season long...

Rigging the 50/50 draw to supplement the cap is just the type of out of the box scumbaggery this club needs.

Also, someone mentioned in another thread that TFC might not be on the hook for the full transfer fee.

arsenal
01-15-2014, 04:03 PM

Perhaps Laba can revive Ty Harden's pool cleaning service and clean Bradley and Defoe's pools for $750k or so a year ...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/ty-harden-pool-boy.541205/

brad
01-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Hmm...

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) 1h (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/423546820799643648) Can't wait for a "restructured" Matías Laba #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) deal to come out. It will live long as a glorious work of @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS) art.

prizby
01-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Hmm...

Alexi Lalas ‏@AlexiLalas (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas) 1h (https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/423546820799643648) Can't wait for a "restructured" Matías Laba #TFC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TFC&src=hash) deal to come out. It will live long as a glorious work of @MLS (https://twitter.com/MLS) art.

maybe if alexi lalas did some training with MLS HQ first before becoming a GM, he'd still be a GM these days

PopePouri
01-15-2014, 05:12 PM
Hmm...

LOL. If Bez pulls this off, it's just wrong that he could.

dantdot
01-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Also notice Richter retweeted that. lol

Burning Red
01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
http://kentuckybasketballforum.com/uploads/images/so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

ManUtd4ever
01-15-2014, 06:39 PM
I couldn't care less about the optics, just find a way to circumvent the guidelines and keep him.

Chevy
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Perhaps Laba can revive Ty Harden's pool cleaning service and clean Bradley and Defoe's pools for $750k or so a year ...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/ty-harden-pool-boy.541205/

Hell, if we can raise $200k for a video of some fat bastard on the pipe, we can easily raise $750k to help one of our friggin' sports teams win.

Jack
01-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Hearing a lot if rumblings (aka. whining) that a restructured Laba contract is forthcoming. Looks like more possibility than dreaming for now.
I've been calling "restructure" as well, especially since Tim B's comments at the event on Monday. The point I was making is that if it were down to Laba having to go because Bradley is coming in, then it's an upgrade, any way you slice it. And the dream part is especially nice because it's a dream with a good chance of coming true.g:D

tfcleeds
01-15-2014, 10:13 PM
LOL. If Bez pulls this off, it's just wrong that he could.

You know what? I for one don't really care how "bad" it looks if MLS changes the rules in order for us to keep Laba. For all the other teams that have had the rules changed in their favour, why not us? We set the standard for support in this league back when it was at it's lowest ebb (OK, I realize Beckham was a major factor as well ;)). Without us, Seattle and Portland may well not be in MLS now. I say they owe us. I know some people think it looks bad, but how is that any different from leagues where 1-2 teams rule the roost (a la La Liga) and have everything go their way? Come on Bez, let's get er done!

ensco
01-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Some things are more important than winning. I don't want to win because someone changes the rules for us. It's wrong that they did that for the Galaxy.

Let's work the system to the max, and let the chips fall where they fall.

Jack
01-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Some things are more important than winning. I don't want to win because someone changes the rules for us. It's wrong that they did that for the Galaxy.

Let's work the system to the max, and let the chips fall where they fall.
MLS is one of, if not the fastest growing league in the world in terms of revenue, support and quality. So if they make some changes on the fly, I'm ok with that. Especially when we reap the benefits. g:D

prizby
01-16-2014, 12:05 AM

500k? MLS Players Union reported his salary to be $200k; look at what a guy like Diego Valeri and Bieler were making last year.

One of the more interesting things to see is Diego Chara is no longer a DP; that was after 3 years; I thought I read somewhere (Argentinian papers) that he had signed for 3 years which would would probably follow with one or two option years; could be a 2 year + options which might be consistent with the rumours of him not being considered DP from 2015 and on (although that could be based on a big raise in the salary cap)

DP cap hit only 375k? If it is consistent, it has always been 1/8th of the salary cap which should be $387,500. I reckon Laba's cap hit is in the 700-750k range including the amortized value of his transfer and tfc need about 350k in allocation (a large proportion of what is left in allocation) to get Laba below the hump.

My one question is and this is what I think Bezbatchenko is trying to figure out, can retention funds be applied here. Problem is, I think they can only be used on domestic players, but maybe MLS will bend the rule about in order to keep young talent (especially talent that has the chance of commanding a higher transfer fee in a couple of years-which MLS would get a cut on)

Yohan
01-16-2014, 12:12 AM
500k? MLS Players Union reported his salary to be $200k; look at what a guy like Diego Valeri and Bieler were making last year.

One of the more interesting things to see is Diego Chara is no longer a DP; that was after 3 years; I thought I read somewhere (Argentinian papers) that he had signed for 3 years which would would probably follow with one or two option years; could be a 2 year + options which might be consistent with the rumours of him not being considered DP from 2015 and on (although that could be based on a big raise in the salary cap)

DP cap hit only 375k? If it is consistent, it has always been 1/8th of the salary cap which should be $387,500. I reckon Laba's cap hit is in the 700-750k range including the amortized value of his transfer and tfc need about 350k in allocation (a large proportion of what is left in allocation) to get Laba below the hump.

My one question is and this is what I think Bezbatchenko is trying to figure out, can retention funds be applied here. Problem is, I think they can only be used on domestic players, but maybe MLS will bend the rule about in order to keep young talent (especially talent that has the chance of commanding a higher transfer fee in a couple of years-which MLS would get a cut on)
Laba is a young DP. I'm pretty sure 200k reported is his cap hit number.

GuelphStorm2007
01-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I am sure there is some creative accounting in the works in order to keep Laba. Because lets face it he can be used.

Cashcleaner
01-16-2014, 04:51 AM
^ I am absolutely confident of that as well. The league has been kind to us over the last few weeks or so, and I have a feeling in my gut that we're going to reach some sort of compromise that keeps Laba in the red shirt.

To be honest, it won't be the end of the world if we have to give him up, but his loss would be noticed.

Brooker
01-16-2014, 05:07 AM

http://youtu.be/xiwtXHPwGPE?t=36s (http://youtu.be/xiwtXHPwGPE?t=35s)

Laiping
01-16-2014, 08:14 AM
It really does not matter to me how they do it! As long as they keep Matias Laba as a TFC player but happy at the same time! Please and thank you! :o

Shakes McQueen
01-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Maybe they get him to restructure for the short term, on the promise of him becoming a made man when the next negotiation comes up.

I still suspect best case scenario is that he gets loaned out for the year, but I'd love to be wrong.

- Scott

prizby
01-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Laba is a young DP. I'm pretty sure 200k reported is his cap hit number.

then why weren't normal DP's reported at $368,750

Oldtimer
01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
I actually don't expect MLS to outright change any rules for us, especially not for a team in Canada. However, Bez can game the existing rules as much as he wants and I wouldn't mind.

Oldtimer
01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Maybe they get him to restructure for the short term, on the promise of him becoming a made man when the next negotiation comes up.

I still suspect best case scenario is that he gets loaned out for the year, but I'd love to be wrong.

- Scott

That isn't the way our current office works. They put everything out there in writing. No Mo-like shady promises like were made to DeRo the first time around.

brad
01-16-2014, 10:04 AM
I actually don't expect MLS to outright change any rules for us, especially not for a team in Canada. However, Bez can game the existing rules as much as he wants and I wouldn't mind.

I'm not so sure anymore. That all changed IMHO when we signed Bradley. MLS now has a lot of interest in seeing TFC be successful and especially make the playoffs. Bradley is one of, if not the top marketable players in this league now, you can bet the Don is not going to want playoff without Micheal Bradley.

Carts
01-16-2014, 10:13 AM
http://youtu.be/xiwtXHPwGPE?t=36s (http://youtu.be/xiwtXHPwGPE?t=35s)

Brooker, I'm bring you on as my partner - we'll be considered 'Caparoundas' (some latin flare in the name) and our job is to 'get around the cap'... g:D

JuliquE
01-16-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm not so sure anymore. That all changed IMHO when we signed Bradley. MLS now has a lot of interest in seeing TFC be successful and especially make the playoffs. Bradley is one of, if not the top marketable players in this league now, you can bet the Don is not going to want playoff without Micheal Bradley.
Not to mention that if the three players currently on our books, with a chance to reach the WC, in Brazil, all show well at the tournament, it is probably the best advert for the league.. especially for higher profile national sides like England and Nigeria -- both outside of CONCACAF. In order for them to get there, however, they also have to be playing/doing well, in the league; the continuity of Laba starting, again, this year, with the likelihood of many starters being relegated to the bench, whether they remain in the squad or not, will only help us gel that bit quicker.. so, I see the Don looking at the bigger picture here (fingers crossed).