PDA

View Full Version : Spurs friendly, July 23rd & partnership agreement.

__wowza
01-10-2014, 04:35 AM
for those of you who missed this little tidbit from spurs in their official announcement:

Additionally, the Club can also announce that we shall play Toronto FC in the second game of our 2014 summer tour on July 23, in-between fixtures against Seattle Sounders on July 19 and Chicago Fire on July 26..

The transfer of Jermain to Toronto FC also sees the start of an Advertising Rights Agreement with club owners Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. which includes promotional, branding, experiential activities, advertising, broadcasting, social media and digital rights across the 4-year agreement and at all MLSE properties and media sites. MLSE will stock, promote and sell official THFC merchandise at all their retail outlets and support the THFC Official Canadian Supporter's Club.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/jermain-defoe-moves-to-mls-toronto-fc-100114/

flatpicker
01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
That was a revealing article with news of the friendly as well as the marketing partnership. Does that mean Toronto gear will be available in the Tottenham area also? Probably not. I've been watching the Prem for years but never picked a "favourite" club (normally cheer for whoever the underdog is) but always liked Tottenham just because Hotspur is such a cool name... haha! Might have to pick up a shirt if our TFC discount gets extended to THFC merch.

ensco
01-10-2014, 07:54 AM
I am always up for experiential activities.

brad
01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm not expecting much from this partnership. Colorado have/had something similar with Arsenal. I think there was one or two more as well.

I think they are mostly about the EPL team using the MLS team to generate interest in their team

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm not expecting much from this partnership. Colorado have/had something similar with Arsenal. I think there was one or two more as well.

I think they are mostly about the EPL team using the MLS team to generate interest in their team

Are you saying that everyone in Utah DOESN'T follow Madrid in the offseason? g:D

Relja
01-10-2014, 08:31 AM
May we destroy them in the summer. Only to get the Arsenal fans singing you got beat by the worst team in the world.

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2014, 08:34 AM
So... have they mentioned if this is a mandatory friendly or do people get to buy this friendly additional to seasons tix?

OgtheDim
01-10-2014, 09:30 AM
That will make 8 games for July.

Not going to be easy, especially as we will be losing Defoe and Bradley for the WC and then having them come back in.

Canary10
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I can't wait. The last time Spurs came I watched them at Red Bull Arena and had a blast. Got my picture taken with Kyle Walker (I was a right back when I played). If anyone at TFC is listening, do what the Red Bulls did: give SSHs who buy tix to the game exclusive access to the Spurs practice with an autograph session to follow. Red Bulls ticket holders who got Bale's autograph that day sure weren't complaining about friendlies.

Cas87
01-10-2014, 09:38 AM
That will make 8 games for July.

Not going to be easy, especially as we will be losing Defoe and Bradley for the WC and then having them come back in.

It just means the academy kids get a chance to play, like Hamilton and a couple of others

Dreadlocks
01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
May we destroy them in the summer. Only to get the Arsenal fans singing you got beat by the worst team in the world.

Sorry if I offend anyone on here but I HATE Spurs (I'm a Gooner). Nothing would make me happier!

brad
01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
So... have they mentioned if this is a mandatory friendly or do people get to buy this friendly additional to seasons tix?

It would be a real show of good faith from the FO to throw that friendly in for free for SSH's.

TFC07
01-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Eww @ Spurs. BTW: Don't San Jose already have a partnership deal with Spurs?

notthesun
01-10-2014, 10:09 AM
If playing friendlies is the price to pay for getting top players... I can get used to it.

Huyton
01-10-2014, 10:11 AM
So, we played Roma and got Bradley.

We will play Tottenham and we get Defoe.

Can we play Barcelona or Bayern, please?

Red CB Toronto
01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I can't wait. The last time Spurs came I watched them at Red Bull Arena and had a blast. Got my picture taken with Kyle Walker (I was a right back when I played). If anyone at TFC is listening, do what the Red Bulls did: give SSHs who buy tix to the game exclusive access to the Spurs practice with an autograph session to follow. Red Bulls ticket holders who got Bale's autograph that day sure weren't complaining about friendlies.

Funny thing is that in 2012 I attended the LFC Spurs friendly in Baltimore, oh what a hot day it was, with a number of the Scouse council and was also attended DC United PSG friendly later in the evening over at RFK. When I shot over to the Amtrak station a few minutes in, the Spurs filed in to board their train for New York. They all walked throughout the station, signing autographs and taking pics. It was pretty cool.

Canary10
01-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Funny thing is that in 2012 I attended the LFC Spurs friendly in Baltimore, oh what a hot day it was, with a number of the Scouse council and was also attended DC United PSG friendly later in the evening over at RFK. When I shot over to the Amtrak station a few minutes in, the Spurs filed in to board their train for New York. They all walked throughout the station, signing autographs and taking pics. It was pretty cool.

That's cool. I met an Irish guy who was following Spurs throughout that tour and went to that game as well. I remember it being very hot in NY as well. I literally got within inches of Bale at that autograph session (which I wasn't supposed to be in as I wasn't a Red Bulls SSH, but their front office guy and I chatted and let me in hearing I'd travelled from TO). For most being near Gareth Bale probably means nothing, but I was a 38 year old child that day.

Red CB Toronto
01-10-2014, 11:03 AM
That's cool. I met an Irish guy who was following Spurs throughout that tour and went to that game as well. I remember it being very hot in NY as well. I literally got within inches of Bale at that autograph session (which I wasn't supposed to be in as I wasn't a Red Bulls SSH, but their front office guy and I chatted and let me in hearing I'd travelled from TO). For most being near Gareth Bale probably means nothing, but I was a 38 year old child that day.

Thats cool, Gareth signed my match ticket in the station, funny thing was it took a bit for some to clue in to who all these guys were in blue and white track suits.

Milanista
01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
anybody else get the feeling MLSE are working on buying a EPL club soon as one comes available?

Yohan
01-10-2014, 11:08 AM
anybody else get the feeling MLSE are working on buying a EPL club soon as one comes available?
I think MLSE was considering buying the Spurs at one point couple of years ago?

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2014, 11:41 AM
It would be a real show of good faith from the FO to throw that friendly in for free for SSH's.

Don't want it. If they force it I'll go with a banner telling them so.

Beach_Red
01-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Not until there's revenue-sharing and a salary cap....

Auzzy
01-10-2014, 11:53 AM
So, we played Roma and got Bradley.

We will play Tottenham and we get Defoe.

Can we play Barcelona or Bayern, please?

Awesome, that's gold. I second that thought!

TOBOR !
01-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Stan Kroenke owns the Rapids and has a 67% share of Arsenal.

Abou Sky
01-10-2014, 12:09 PM

They pull off this kind of off season, don't raise prices and you want a show of good faith?

CretanBull
01-10-2014, 12:32 PM
It bothers me that Tottenham merch will be sold at BMO Field, if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be livid. If we made this same type of deal with Man U I'd straight up stop going to games.

Technorgasm
01-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Oblio is literally losing his shit righ tnow I bet.

Oblio2
01-10-2014, 12:37 PM
I spoke to a Real Sports employee this morning and its my understanding that Spurs stuff will be sold for the time of the Spurs friendly only-Like the Roma game....and anyway, who cares. F-Arsenal. g:D

Oblio2
01-10-2014, 12:37 PM

This day has been unreal.
I am in a daze

CretanBull
01-10-2014, 12:52 PM
I spoke to a Real Sports employee this morning and its my understanding that Spurs stuff will be sold for the time of the Spurs friendly only-Like the Roma game....and anyway, who cares. F-Arsenal. g:D

The press release didn't make it sound like that:

"Tottenham and Toronto FC said MLSE will stock, promote and sell official Spurs merchandise at all its retail outlets and support the THFC Official Canadian Supporter's Club."

To me that says that Spurs stuff will be sold every where TFC stuff as sold, and our team will officially be supporting Tottenham's Canadian supporter's club.

I have nothing at all against Spurs, but I don't like the idea of TFC aligning itself with another team. It alienates some fans and I don't like the optics of it. Imagine if this deal was with Arsenal, how would you feeling walking into your home ground and seeing that cannon plastered everywhere?

Oblio2
01-10-2014, 12:54 PM
I would wear blinders but the fact that Gooners will have to look at Tottenham stuff.....makes my groin all tingly

T-boy
01-10-2014, 12:55 PM
A friendly V Spurs is one of the very few that would actually attract me to go to a friendly. So, I'm ok with this, for sure!

Oblio2
01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
Remember. This is a couple of weeks after the World Cup.
generally, clubs give WC players an extra few weeks to recuperate.

OgtheDim
01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
That line indicates nothing about Spurs stuff at BMO. And MLSE isn't that stupid, anymore.

lanarkist
01-10-2014, 01:39 PM
Just a thought here but it came to me as I was watching a highlight package TFC just put out for Defoe. I know the BPL is very, very controlling about how it's content is replayed online and through various forms of media, and I wonder if much of this agreement was so TFC would have the rights to the highlight packages of Defoe to use in promo's and marketing. Otherwise I would think that content would be the legal entity of either the BPL or Spurs.

brad
01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
They pull off this kind of off season, don't raise prices and you want a show of good faith?

They've pulled of nothing yet. Lets see how things play out on the field.

CretanBull
01-10-2014, 01:48 PM
That line indicates nothing about Spurs stuff at BMO. And MLSE isn't that stupid, anymore.

"MLSE will stock, promote and sell official Spurs merchandise at all its retail outlets"

I don't see why "all" wouldn't include in-stadium as well, especially given that they're the ones that have by far the largest concentration of soccer fans visiting them. Putting a Spurs jersey up for sale between a Blue Jays shirt and a Leafs sweater probably doesn't do much for them.

maninb
01-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Absolutely brilliant!!! I'm a life-long Spurs supporter...Haven't seen them live since 2006!!!!

cmonyoureds
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM

You know there's a "fit and proper persons" test right? g:D

Derko
01-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I personally don't have a problem with the merchandise thing or the friendly, but then again I only wear my TFC stuff to TFC games, unlike others whom wear other kits, now that is bad form.

ChrisFizik
01-10-2014, 10:46 PM
I think MLSE was considering buying the Spurs at one point couple of years ago?

yeah, I had thoughts about this today too.....seems like a whole side-project MLSE is working on with this whole Defoe thing.
Yeah, back in 2008 there was stuff in the UK press about Richard Peddie trying to get in on buying Spurs for 250mil pounds or something. He denied but there were stories. Maybe that idea has been sitting around brewing all these years (MLSE structure is all different now obviously but...)
Interesting anyways.

daner90
01-11-2014, 02:03 AM

LOL this was my first thought reading this thread. Oblio is the man. One of the first RPB I had the pleasure of interacting with and have been tight every since.
Enjoy all of this good sir.

JuliquE
01-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Just a thought here but it came to me as I was watching a highlight package TFC just put out for Defoe. I know the BPL is very, very controlling about how it's content is replayed online and through various forms of media, and I wonder if much of this agreement was so TFC would have the rights to the highlight packages of Defoe to use in promo's and marketing. Otherwise I would think that content would be the legal entity of either the BPL or Spurs.
Those were Europa League highlights, actually, from this season.

jazzy
01-11-2014, 06:20 AM
The press release didn't make it sound like that:

"Tottenham and Toronto FC said MLSE will stock, promote and sell official Spurs merchandise at all its retail outlets and support the THFC Official Canadian Supporter's Club."

To me that says that Spurs stuff will be sold every where TFC stuff as sold, and our team will officially be supporting Tottenham's Canadian supporter's club.

I have nothing at all against Spurs, but I don't like the idea of TFC aligning itself with another team. It alienates some fans and I don't like the optics of it. Imagine if this deal was with Arsenal, how would you feeling walking into your home ground and seeing that cannon plastered everywhere?

quite happy esp watching all the Liverpool supporters retch.................actually agree with you I would find it tacky if my 2nd club , was advertised all over another teams home ground. A classy subtle hey how do you do we're Arsenal would be what I'd like but it would never happen right? It's the sports world rah rah...

Justin10000
01-11-2014, 08:08 AM
×gag×

Gonna have to get the gooners together to make the Scums visit to BMO uncomfortable.

mook-life
01-11-2014, 09:45 AM
×gag×

Gonna have to get the gooners together to make the Scums visit to BMO uncomfortable.

I'm 100% in for that this deal with spurs almost made me puke in my mouth

Detroit_TFC
01-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Other teams merch at BMO already breeched with the games vs the Galaxy.

I am skeptical about the staying value of any of these MLS/Euro club partnerships, affiliation or whatnot. Almost always starts with huge fanfare and typically fades away almost immediately. If Real Sports stocks a few TH shirts and the TH logo appears on the website, I don't care. I already have a PL club I support, not looking for one; I think that will be true for a lot of people.

CretanBull
01-11-2014, 01:42 PM
Other teams merch at BMO already breeched with the games vs the Galaxy.

I am skeptical about the staying value of any of these MLS/Euro club partnerships, affiliation or whatnot. Almost always starts with huge fanfare and typically fades away almost immediately. If Real Sports stocks a few TH shirts and the TH logo appears on the website, I don't care. I already have a PL club I support, not looking for one; I think that will be true for a lot of people.

I agree with the part in italics, but my concern is that in this case unlike other past examples our partnership with Spurs is part of the Dafoe transfer agreement. I don't know this to be true, but it wouldn't surprise me if part of the transfer fee itself was paid in services rather than straight up cash. Regardless of whether its contractual or not, the nature of this agreement feels different to me than the hand-shake that exists between Salt Lake and Madrid for example. I hope that you're right and this deal falls by the wayside like most of these other agreements have in the past.

I disagree with the later part, I just don't like the optics of it. The Spurs/Arsenal rivalry is a huge one, and while its one that I have no emotional investment in, I don't like that we've officially picked sides and have alienated some of our fans. I can honestly say that as a Leeds fan if we made this deal with Man U it would severely change - totally ruin - my relationship with TFC. I also think that it feels bush-league, the message can come across as we're not 'real' enough on our own and that we need to piggy-back on the credibility of another club in another league.

Detroit_TFC
01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I agree with the part in italics, but my concern is that in this case unlike other past examples our partnership with Spurs is part of the Dafoe transfer agreement. I don't know this to be true, but it wouldn't surprise me if part of the transfer fee itself was paid in services rather than straight up cash. Regardless of whether its contractual or not, the nature of this agreement feels different to me than the hand-shake that exists between Salt Lake and Madrid for example. I hope that you're right and this deal falls by the wayside like most of these other agreements have in the past.

I disagree with the later part, I just don't like the optics of it. The Spurs/Arsenal rivalry is a huge one, and while its one that I have no emotional investment in, I don't like that we've officially picked sides and have alienated some of our fans. I can honestly say that as a Leeds fan if we made this deal with Man U it would severely change - totally ruin - my relationship with TFC. I also think that it feels bush-league, the message can come across as we're not 'real' enough on our own and that we need to piggy-back on the credibility of another club in another league.

I don't minimize what discomfort this causes Arsenal supporters. If it was Manchester Utd instead, I wouldn't be too happy. But I wouldn't see it changing my relationship with TFC if it was, because I don't think these affiliations are substantial.

I've dealt with this issue in the opposite way with MCFC buying into MLS. I'm not switching my support to NYCFC even though I feel a deep emotional attachment to MCFC. I am troubled by a club in another soccer league controlling a team in MLS. I felt that way about Chivas since day one and feel the same about MCFC, even if I support them. I don't think the Spurs deal rises to that level.

Mark in Ottawa
01-12-2014, 08:53 AM
If ticket demand is high do you expect that the TFC vs TFC game might get played in the Rogers Centre??
I would love to attend this match but expect that ticket prices will be high and tickets may be very hard to come by.
Add the cost of traveling and it gets prohibitive.

I'm sure the scalpers who hold season tickets are happy as all get out about this fixture.

OgtheDim
01-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Jays game that day.

Gilberto9
01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
If ticket demand is high do you expect that the TFC vs TFC game might get played in the Rogers Centre??
I would love to attend this match but expect that ticket prices will be high and tickets may be very hard to come by.
Add the cost of traveling and it gets prohibitive.

I'm sure the scalpers who hold season tickets are happy as all get out about this fixture.

On the TFC wesbite, the venue is listed as BMO Field. Last year at this time, the venue was listed as TBD, so I don't think it will be changed.

I'd sure love it. I like the opening games we've had at Rogers Centre. The march to the stadium, loud atmosphere, and pregame festivities makes it all great. The March date is a hit or miss for weather, we could get anything. Historical weather suggests we could get between 0-5 degrees. I hope we have enough ticket demand and cold enough weather to relocate to the Skydome for just a game.

OgtheDim
01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Our 6 games in March and April include 4 away matches. No way the first game should be anywhere but BMO.

Greatest Ripoff
01-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Does this mean BMO will now sell tottenham cake?

Justin10000
01-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Froi

Forever in our shadow you will be... :D

ARSENAL FOREVER!!

brad
01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Anyone have a rough idea of which Spurs players will be at the World Cup? Those players most likely won't be at this friendly.

brad
01-13-2014, 09:47 AM
If I had to bet, I'd say this Spurs link up & friendly is all about Spurs trying to sell some jersey's and pick up some new supporters of the Defoe hype in TO. Won't affect anyone that already has strong affiliation with a club, but I suspect they see plenty of people that don't.

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2014, 10:02 AM
If I had to bet, I'd say this Spurs link up & friendly is all about Spurs trying to sell some jersey's and pick up some new supporters of the Defoe hype in TO. Won't affect anyone that already has strong affiliation with a club, but I suspect they see plenty of people that don't.

Indeed. Just trying to grow the brand here. I mean Scally's has been their home but it's shared. And we all know how attractive groundshare is...g:D

namebutler
01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Regarding the merch deal;

I think Spurs figured out what to do with all the current stock of Defoe jerseys.

Oblio2
01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
If you think about Internationals and players on the bubble (Who could go, barring injuries- and depending on how far a team goes in the World Cup will affcet their appearance here)

Lloris - France
Walker - England
Vertonghen - Belgium
Lennon - England
Paulinho - Brazil
Lamela - Argentina
Capoue - France
Townsend - England
Dembele - Belgium
Chadli - Belgium
Sandro - Brazil
Soldado - Spain