PDA

View Full Version : New MLS TV deal thread

Yohan
01-10-2014, 01:35 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2014/01/09/4532860/sources-nbc-sports-group-not-part-of-next-mls-tv-deal?ICID=HP_BN_1

NBC may be out for next TV deal

GuelphStorm2007
01-10-2014, 01:54 AM
AS far as Canadian rights go I hope it goes back to Cbc, Nothing against TSN, Goltv. or Sportsnet, But CBC can delivery to more households than the 3 specialty networks.

Redcoe15
01-10-2014, 03:03 AM
^^Given how they've practically lost major NHL rights to Rogers, that might make sense.

Haddy
01-10-2014, 09:07 AM
AS far as Canadian rights go I hope it goes back to Cbc, Nothing against TSN, Goltv. or Sportsnet, But CBC can delivery to more households than the 3 specialty networks.

With Bell and Rogers approving all the roster changes, and owning the club lol, it's in their best interest to ensure TFC airs on their networks. I don't think CBC has a chance.

Initial B
01-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I sure hope the deal is worth a significant amount of money. That will mean a significant raise to the Salary Cap for 2015.

Haddy
01-10-2014, 01:18 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/01/10/Media/MLS.aspx

Sources: New MLS TV Deal With Fox/ESPN Could Be Worth $70M Annually

Yohan
01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2014/01/10/Media/MLS.aspx

Sources: New MLS TV Deal With Fox/ESPN Could Be Worth $70M Annually

huge, compared to previous deals (at 10mil per year with NBC IIRC). But that still only ends up about 3 mil per team, that is if the team gets all the TV deal money, which it won't. League will take a huge chunk. add in local TV deals though, I think the salary cap is going to go up significantly

Initial B
01-10-2014, 02:44 PM
I get the feeling that the length of the TV deal will be dependent on how long a collective agreement MLS can negotiate with the player's union. My hope is for at least a $4.5million (preferably $5m) cap with a base salary increase to $60k. Then have a 5% increase in the cap (and salaries) each year of the agreement. That would be comfortable enough for the low-end players to live on and attract more talent and bring us in line with current Championship-Level team salaries by the end of the deal.

ag futbol
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM
I get the feeling that the length of the TV deal will be dependent on how long a collective agreement MLS can negotiate with the player's union. My hope is for at least a $4.5million (preferably $5m) cap with a base salary increase to $60k. Then have a 5% increase in the cap (and salaries) each year of the agreement. That would be comfortable enough for the low-end players to live on and attract more talent and bring us in line with current Championship-Level team salaries by the end of the deal.
I don't know about CCC levels - that's still pretty high - but the days of guys earning 45k a season should be over. Multiple one year options should be going extinct as well, although Camilo and his agent might prematurely kill those as well.

habstfc
01-11-2014, 02:31 AM
huge, compared to previous deals (at 10mil per year with NBC IIRC). But that still only ends up about 3 mil per team, that is if the team gets all the TV deal money, which it won't. League will take a huge chunk. add in local TV deals though, I think the salary cap is going to go up significantly I believe the current tv deal is 27 million annually.

pdubs
01-11-2014, 10:39 AM
def need a respectable minimum wage at least 60k. help canadian kids continue in soccer seeing even at entry level in mls you can make decent money.

barticusz
01-15-2014, 05:18 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/sports/soccer/mls-set-to-change-channels.html

New deal is reportedly worth 70M annually, double the current deal. Here's hoping that the league can up the cap amount by a solid amount so not only will current players get a higher minimum wage but even more players can be brought in. Say a Cap limit of 4M with 3+1youth DP would be an excellent start ;).

kodiakTFC
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/16/sports/soccer/mls-set-to-change-channels.html

New deal is reportedly worth 70M annually, double the current deal. Here's hoping that the league can up the cap amount by a solid amount so not only will current players get a higher minimum wage but even more players can be brought in. Say a Cap limit of 4M with 3+1youth DP would be an excellent start ;).

I'd love this except 2 International DP, 1 domestic DP, and 1 youth DP.

Pookie
01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice to see the value increased but recognize that the new deal is rumoured to include USMNT games, including the WC qualifiers.

Soccer United Marketing (SUM) in action here. A very valuable asset for investors in this league.

It may not have any impact on team budgets but certainly will provide nice dividends for the franchise operators.

Carts
01-16-2014, 03:11 PM
I'd love this except 2 International DP, 1 domestic DP, and 1 youth DP.

This would suit us just lovely right now!

Obviously meaning we could sing a USA National as a 'Domestic DP' - and likewise American clubs with a Canadian...