PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Fucking Wait for This Season

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2014, 11:33 PM
Discuss.

Even if you don't think all of these moves were the most prudent things the team could have done (seeing some mixed reactions to both Gilberto and Defoe - Bradley seems to be pretty universally positive) - this team is still going to be something to watch in a few months.

How has the past month done for you, re: TFC interest? Waiting for this roster to implode like a neutron star? Expect us to be instant playoff favourites? Think we hit the ground running, or start slow?

- Scott

mowe
01-09-2014, 11:36 PM
A good TFC team is something I can't fully comprehend. I'll try to keep my emotions in check until we start winning some games.

Flipityflu
01-09-2014, 11:39 PM
its certainly the first time we have really seen a team built before the season starts...or even the preseason. it looks great on paper....looking forward to seeing it play out.

ensco
01-09-2014, 11:46 PM
The Bradley signing has had a huge impact on me. That is not a marketing signing, at least in this market, that is a 100% connoiseur's football signing.

I salute you, Tim Leiweke. But God Save Us All if the team starts the season 3-7.

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2014, 11:51 PM
The Bradley signing has had a huge impact on me. That is not a marketing signing, at least in this market, that is a 100% connoiseur's football signing.

I salute you, Tim Leiweke. But God Save Us All if the team starts the season 3-7.

If they do, there will be dozens of us on here ready to commit seppuku.

- Scott

CommradePolski
01-09-2014, 11:52 PM
The one thing I have noticed from previous years is certain words being said.

In previous years they said we want to make the playoffs and be competitive.

This year, they are saying they want to win, and win the championship.

That mentality alone is part of the reason Im coming back.

Playoffs arent good enough. They want to win, and win the whole god damn thing. And they are out to prove that they are willing to do what it takes to make it happen.

Super
01-09-2014, 11:54 PM
I am extremely excited for the next season. I predict a sold out stadium to kick off the first game, and the interest and excitement will last as long as we win games and stay in the play-off picture. Plenty to be excited about with this team. Obviously it's not going to be easy just because we signed some new great players, but even the core of the current team showed great promise in the end of last season. We're properly loaded. Cheap at the back, strong in midfield, deadly up front. That's pretty much the LA recipe right there - and they won the league twice that way.

Goal is to make the play-offs. We need to get that monkey off of our back. I truly believe this team has enough quality to do just that - barring any bad luck like major injuries.

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2014, 11:55 PM
This kind of financial investment in players by an MLS team, is truly bananas. As someone here mentioned previously (ensco?), the reported figure they have spent on these players, is only about $20 million less than the entire valuation of the team.

- Scott

notthesun
01-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Let the record show that Tim Leiweke talked, and talked, and talked all off-season. And then he over-delivered.

As far as I'm concerned he can say whatever he damn well pleases from now on.

We'll see what happens once the season gets underway, but it's already clear we'll be in the best position for success we'll have ever been. I'm excited.

Phil
01-09-2014, 11:57 PM
I am excited to see how this all pans out. On paper it looks great, but its on the field and in the games that it proves itself.

I do like that its pre season that we are having this discussion vs middle of the year with a total re-vamp and write off year.

Fingers crossed, breath held and see you all down at BMO.

khso11
01-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I think this season will finally be a great season if bad luck is not in our way (such as last minute goals and bad officiating). I definitely Can't Fucking Wait for This Season to start. From now until the start of the season the 1) priority for me would be to somehow keep Laba (if he's gone there will again be another hole). 2) find 1 or 2 more defenders, a experienced CB/LB/RB/utility defender (a bonus would be to keep Ecks at a lowered salary). 3) keep as much players as possible for depth such as Dike, and again Ecks. Either way I hope this season would finally be ours so that everyone will come back and have a great time with no fights!

Shakes McQueen
01-09-2014, 11:58 PM
I suppose I should have put a disclaimer on this thread, that this is all contingent on these deals coming through - although with how they are being reported by the entire planet, they certainly seem done. TFC teasing a big f'ing deal, Roma announcing Bradley was sold to MLS, Defoe reportedly being in town, Gilberto already being done, etc.

- Scott

shwade
01-09-2014, 11:59 PM
Every morning when I wake up and check the redpatchhboys forums, this is what I hoped for.

boozilla
01-10-2014, 12:03 AM
...barring any bad luck like major injuries.
Can't help having deja-vu of the off-season hype around the 2013 Blue Jays.

Phil
01-10-2014, 12:05 AM
I suppose I should have put a disclaimer on this thread, that this is all contingent on these deals coming through - although with how they are being reported by the entire planet, they certainly seem done. TFC teasing a big f'ing deal, Roma announcing Bradley was sold to MLS, Defoe reportedly being in town, Gilberto already being done, etc.

- Scott

Tomorrow things will be clearer :)

Well today... clock is ticking.

ManUtd4ever
01-10-2014, 12:11 AM

If the team falters that badly out of the gate, it will be Nelsen's fault. There are no excuses for the coach this season if this team underachieves.

Super
01-10-2014, 12:12 AM

True. It'll be a couple months with mixed feelings - excited on one hand, worried on the other. But at least we're not completely hopeless like past years. There's hope here. And we certainly have some major quality on this team right now. Honestly, I prefer to be optimistic right now. There's been so much negativity around this team for years. I think it's time to kinda fall in love with the team all over again. Part of what I love most about football is that anything can happen. I don't believe in curses and endless bad luck. This club has been severely mismanaged since day one, but most people would recognize that under Tim Leiweke the culture has been completely changed - from top to bottom. No reason to not be at least more optimistic than pessimistic right now.

BradleytoDefoe
01-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Well you're gonna wait. Til March exactly. To quote the great Prophet, " Tough Titties!"

BradleytoDefoe
01-10-2014, 12:23 AM
True. It'll be a couple months with mixed feelings - excited on one hand, worried on the other. But at least we're not completely hopeless like past years. There's hope here. And we certainly have some major quality on this team right now. Honestly, I prefer to be optimistic right now. There's been so much negativity around this team for years. I think it's time to kinda fall in love with the team all over again. Part of what I love most about football is that anything can happen. I don't believe in curses and endless bad luck. This club has been severely mismanaged since day one, but most people would recognize that under Tim Leiweke the culture has been completely changed - from top to bottom. No reason to not be at least more optimistic than pessimistic right now.

On Tim and Sid today, DeRo said that with just a ten minute phone call from TL that he could tell that the whole culture had changed. Something about the fact that Winter never talked to him directly at all. Not about the Loan denial, nothing about his contract. Winter would call his agent and was pretty closed off. I think you get the feeling from a lot of the players from that era that Winter was inaccessible, distant, and dictatorial. No wonder he lost the team so quickly.

PatrickDermody
01-10-2014, 12:40 AM
I think that there is such a positive attitude coming from around the club...never have I entered a season with so much optimism. TL may have brought in enough to build a winner (or at least a winning record) Imagine a playoff game at BMO....it would be absolutely electric. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but after so many seasons of pain as a TFC (and Newcastle United) supporter...what say we get a little carried away?

Yohan
01-10-2014, 12:44 AM
If there's a way to screw things up, TFC will find a way. Still lots of questions about this team going into 2014 season, but I'm cautiously optimistic. The DP signings are making a lot of people around MLS and the world take notice.

__wowza
01-10-2014, 12:46 AM
its certainly the first time we have really seen a team built before the season starts...or even the preseason. it looks great on paper....looking forward to seeing it play out.

hamilton and the partnership with the hammerheads gives me just as much hope for the future as much as defoe/gilberto does. possibly even more.

reggie
01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
I cant sleep:scarf::flare:

GuelphStorm2007
01-10-2014, 01:40 AM
I am very and I mean very cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season I been through this before like in 2012 when they beat L.A. In the CCL and of course we all know what happened 9 games later so My fingers are very crossed. I think it is very important for the development of Soccer here in Canada for Toronto to have a good team, Nothing against our friends and foes in Vancouver and Montreal cause I wish them the best of luck also. But with all the media we have here in Toronto this could be a very good year even these transactions are being broadcasted on BBC World radio. That is Big

GuelphStorm2007
01-10-2014, 01:42 AM

The Blue Jay hype was so FRogers created I cannot SEE THIS BE THAT BAD...

Cashcleaner
01-10-2014, 02:14 AM
I ended up high-fiving a bunch of fans at work today when I came in. So pumped for the new season!

And I know this is gonna sound awfully convenient, but even before the latest news about Bradley I was planning on picking up another Season Ticket. Defoe, Gilberto, DeRo, and Laba were enough to justify throwing some cash down for another ticket. Bradley is just icing on the cake.

Sweet, sweet icing.

Redcoe15
01-10-2014, 03:18 AM
What boozilla said.

Sorry Shakes, but you had that same feeling towards the Blue Jays this time last year. How did that turn out?

Maybe it will be different this time around. But every time I get optimistic about this team, the rug gets pulled out from under my feet. I will try to get to the home opener this year and cheer the Reds on. But I'm more guarded this button reseting time around.

And besides, I'm still a little fumed about Phineas Tim's latest comments about the Argos-to-BMO Field talk.

tfcleeds
01-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Guarded optimism of course, until we actually see results on the field. But it really is nice going into training camp with most of our team settled for once, instead of having so many question marks. This really does seem like TFC v 2.0, 2007 redux, or whatever. Hopefully we will see results and the atmosphere at BMO slowly getting back to what it was.

Cashcleaner
01-10-2014, 03:42 AM
^ It can't be coincidence that all this good news is being released along with the bad.

Hey look everyone, we're bringing back DeRo!! We're signing Defoe!! The Argos are moving in. We're getting Micheal Bradley!! BMO Field will be completely unrecognizable in three years. What a solid squad we'll have with Gilberto as well!! What a year 2014 will be!! And then we start renovating in 2015.

I mean, I know I'm a cynical fuck, but I'm not the only seeing this, right? Either way, until groundsharing is absolutely confirmed and the shovels are in the ground, I'm worried but not worried enough to stop me from enjoying the new season.

Shakes McQueen
01-10-2014, 03:48 AM
What boozilla said.

Sorry Shakes, but you had that same feeling towards the Blue Jays this time last year. How did that turn out?

There's no real analytical similarity at all, aside from the fact that both teams added a few good players in one off-season... which hundreds of teams have done throughout history. "The Blue Jays were supposed to be good, too" is a facile reason to be cynical about our chances, and just speaks more to the psychological damage of being a Toronto sports fan, haha.

Also, this isn't a baseball thread so I won't get into it here, but the Jays' problems were extensive and unfortunate. And yes, I was excited about their chances, as were all of the baseball writers that called them instant playoff contenders. None the less, as I said in my OP, they might be good, or they might implode - but I'm still excited to see this revamped lineup take to the field. These moves have me excited to see the season start.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
01-10-2014, 03:52 AM
^ It can't be coincidence that all this good news is being released along with the bad.

Hey look everyone, we're bringing back DeRo!! We're signing Defoe!! The Argos are moving in. We're getting Micheal Bradley!! BMO Field will be completely unrecognizable in three years. What a solid squad we'll have with Gilberto as well!! What a year 2014 will be!! And then we start renovating in 2015.

I mean, I know I'm a cynical fuck, but I'm not the only seeing this, right? Either way, until groundsharing is absolutely confirmed and the shovels are in the ground, I'm worried but not worried enough to stop me from enjoying the new season.

The one thing TL is insisting, is that if this happened, there would be no impact on stadium dimensions or sight lines for soccer games, because it sounds like one end of the stadium would be retractable. That is one thing he has, apparently, pretty-much guaranteed.

I'm more concerned about the pitch, than the stadium itself... but there are other threads already discussing this. Anyway... back to the actual team!

- Scott

Fort York Redcoat
01-10-2014, 08:41 AM
What we can celebrate this year is the potential of this team, Argos free.

I can't wait to see the new jerseys on the fans as well. Welcome or welcome back!

Pigfynn
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
The sins of past regimes cannot be fairly attributed to this TFC. I know just as well as anyone of us about the feeling of one bitten, twice shy when it comes to this club, but it's a new day.

This sort of thing happens in football all the time. Money washes away failure. New hires with totally different levels of understanding for the game and business have been made. Players from another level of ability have been bought...

TFC has started anew and so has my approach to them.

I'm "first season" excited and just as hopeful.

Huyton
01-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Sweet Dreams are made of this
Defoe, Bradley, Gilberto
Morrow, Jackson, De Rosario
Losing my mind over Toronto

Re-ignite our passion
BMO a sea of flags unfurled
Suddenly back in fashion
TFC’s going to rule the world

OgtheDim
01-10-2014, 09:37 AM
What Pigfyn said.

Canary10
01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I think people need to be more realistic about the first 10 games, probably the first half of the season at least. We have mostly the same core as last year....on the bench. The starting XI is going to look much different than last year though. It's hard to get that many players who haven't played together going the same direction quickly. For proof, just look at the team Defoe came from. And players new to MLS usually need time to settle in. It won't be without hiccups.

Wince
01-10-2014, 10:10 AM
This might be the summer I finally see my first live TFC game. :)

TOBOR !
01-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I was introduced to the term 'BlueJayed' on the way to work today.

Luke Wileman was asked if he thought there was a possibility that TFC fans could be 'BlueJayed' this year.

Absolutely classic term. I have no idea if that's the first time it's been used, but it's awesome.

Anyway, Luke basically said there's no chance of that due to the nature of the league, but just think about it for a moment.. let it sink in.

Are we about to be BlueJayed ?

Sweeper
01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
I think what is most important to the team's success is everybody pulling in the same direction. I think the negativity will subside now and the toxic dressing room and FO environment will be a thing of the past. Players will no longer have front office incompetence and dressing room drama to take their attention away from performing on the field and playing for the badge. Even negativity on these message boards contributes to the overall climate of whether we have a successful team or not. Synergy is an amazing thing and is so important in the game of soccer, but it is equally important off the field. Having said that I'm super pumped to see this team on the field and can't wait to see our stadium full again.

billyfly
01-10-2014, 10:49 AM
I can't wait to sit beside Whoop this year again with the occasional Bfin on the side.

Canary10
01-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I was introduced to the term 'BlueJayed' on the way to work today.

Luke Wileman was asked if he thought there was a possibility that TFC fans could be 'BlueJayed' this year.

Absolutely classic term. I have no idea if that's the first time it's been used, but it's awesome.

Anyway, Luke basically said there's no chance of that due to the nature of the league, but just think about it for a moment.. let it sink in.

Are we about to be BlueJayed ?

I honestly don't think so, but I think the first half of the season won't always be pretty. This should be a very good team ultimately. And it's waaayyy easier to make the playoffs in MLS than baseball.

Technorgasm
01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
My passion for the squad remains at the same height it did since day one.
As does my expectations.
(score in every home game)

I look forward to being surprised with some positive results, but most of all seeing the positive impact all of this news will have on our game day experience and response to the product on the field.
Too early to say "the passion is back" but certainly the build up to this season will see ALL of us here, ALL of the SGs, ALL of the SSH, ALL of the fans, eagerly awaiting opening day.

#REDvolution
We deserve butter. . . . .and it looks like we're getting some.

Canary10
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM
My passion for the squad remains at the same height it did since day one.
As does my expectations.
(score in every home game)

I look forward to being surprised with some positive results, but most of all seeing the positive impact all of this news will have on our game day experience and response to the product on the field.
Too early to say "the passion is back" but certainly the build up to this season will see ALL of us here, ALL of the SGs, ALL of the SSH, ALL of the fans, eagerly awaiting opening day.

#REDvolution
We deserve butter. . . . .and it looks like we're getting some.

The team has buzz again. That's pretty fucking awesome.

Jack
01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I am stoked about the new signings and I actually have some hope for modest success this season.

But we still have some work to do on the back four and we still have to actually play the games.

That said, I'm pretty happy with these signings, especially Bradley. As Ensco said, that is a football signing, which shows they want to win, not just sell tickets.

TFC_Allez
01-10-2014, 11:57 AM
I can't wait to see the south end full and singing and feel the stands bounce again. Its been FARRRR too long. Toronto being the hype city that it is...we won't have any trouble filling BMO again. This is a new TFC (right now just on paper of course)...this is a new era. I hope this team and management help bury the years of bad memories stored up in my head. Winning will solve A LOT! Can't f***ing wait till March!

Huyton
01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm going full bore right over the top.

I expect to see Captain Michael Bradley hold aloft the Supporters Shield and to see the second MLS Cup Final at BMO Field.

I don't expect that 2015 will see TFC being the first MLS team to show up at the World Club Championship, though...gotta be a bit realistic, and save something for 2016!

MightyDM
01-10-2014, 12:56 PM
I am stoked about the new signings and I actually have some hope for modest success this season.

But we still have some work to do on the back four and we still have to actually play the games.

That said, I'm pretty happy with these signings, especially Bradley. As Ensco said, that is a football signing, which shows they want to win, not just sell tickets.

I agree. TL has lived up to his promises. I think the Blue Jay comparison isn't valid - each one of those players had serious risks - like age, injury recovery,etc. Aside from the uncertainty of Gilberto's adaptation to the league, and dealing with the 4 DP + Ecks salary cap issues, there really isn't the same issue at all.

Its basically awesome and we should be full of hope and passion. Defoe! Seriously, Defoe - who could have pictured that in 2007????. Bradley! DeRo!

Waggy
01-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I agree. TL has lived up to his promises. I think the Blue Jay comparison isn't valid - each one of those players had serious risks - like age, injury recovery,etc. Aside from the uncertainty of Gilberto's adaptation to the league, and dealing with the 4 DP + Ecks salary cap issues, there really isn't the same issue at all.

Its basically awesome and we should be full of hope and passion. Defoe! Seriously, Defoe - who could have pictured that in 2007????. Bradley! DeRo!

Also, and Rogers/rogers affiliates never mention this but while the Jays went on a spending spree, they only upped their payroll to slightly above MLB average. The average payroll for a playoff team in MLB last year was over 150 million dollars, and that includes 2 low payroll teams who fought their way into the post season. The Jays weren't even close financially to being competitive. TFC is spending in a different stratosphere than other MLS clubs right now.

pdubs
01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
tim and sid giving tfc more props right now haha

and showing the red patch boys scarf amazing

Initial B
01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm really looking forward to the new season, but I'm also really scared that Murphy's Law is going to bite us because things are going too well. My hope for the season is that we'll win every home game, as that would keep the fans coming out. I expect that this club will take a while to gel, so there could be some turbulence at the start of the season before things start to kick into gear just in time to halt for the WC. Then hopefully TFC will regain the lost momentum and end up around 3rd in the Eastern Conference. Then I'd like to see them go respectably far as they get used to what playoff soccer is like. The only thing I expect is that they will win the Voyaguer's Cup. I'd consider the season a Success if they make it out of their CCL Group and make the MLS playoffs. That should be the minimum expectation for these players. But the demon Murphy haunts me regardless.

Abou Sky
01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
I can't wait to not get razzed for wearing colours!

Detroit_TFC
01-10-2014, 01:46 PM
As the Mythbusters say, failure is always an option.

BUT so many things are different than in the past, not the least of which coming into the season with a full squad for the first time since when (or ever). As far as opportunity for success, we have our best chance ever. That is worth getting excited about.

Gringo Starr
01-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Treble!

Supporters Shield, Mls Cup, Voyageurs Cup. Killing the Impact and Shite Caps at every turn. Oh hell make it a Quad and beat whichever Mexican team we face in the Champs league final.

Mark in Ottawa
01-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I am really excited for this spring on two fronts ...

Ottawa Fury FC are kicking off season 1 in NASL in just 93 days! Coach Marc Dos Santos is putting together a young squad with surprising amount of experience from all over the world. I really look forward to him pulling this all together into a winning team.
Got my seasons seat and am ready to not use it while cheering my local team (that sounds so good to say ...) to victory.

And then there is TFC 8.0 which on paper looks fantastic. I have always been excited for a TFC season ever since day 1 but like many others are a bit "once, twice .... bitten, twice shy" when it comes to my expectations. I would mark me down as "guardedly optimistic" and preparing to hold on tight for an exciting ride come what may. And of course I really look forward to seeing my friends in the RPB in general and the 75 Mile Bastards in particular as soon as I can.

Ivy
01-10-2014, 03:12 PM
This new team is HYPE. How many MLS players wouldn't want to come here now?

Huyton
01-10-2014, 03:14 PM
We’ve signed Michael Bradley and Jermaine Defoe
And I just can’t fucking wait, I just can’t fucking wait
Gilberto from Brazil and Dwayne De Rosario
And I just can’t fucking wait, I just can’t fucking wait

Jackson and Morrow we have traded for
And I just can't wait until the season starts

C.Ronaldo
01-10-2014, 03:34 PM
winning playoffs isnt even that important to me

I want TFC to bring champions league trophy to Canada!

Joe Kool
01-10-2014, 03:37 PM
MLS supporters everywhere are looking at their schedules to see when TFC is coming to town according to many forums I have seen. I have people that I couldn't give tickets to last year all of a sudden calling me asking if I can help them get season opener tickets this year. What a 180 degree turn...guess I can sell my seats for face value again if I can't make it? That would be nice.

SamK
01-10-2014, 04:00 PM
MLS supporters everywhere are looking at their schedules to see when TFC is coming to town according to many forums I have seen. I have people that I couldn't give tickets to last year all of a sudden calling me asking if I can help them get season opener tickets this year. What a 180 degree turn...guess I can sell my seats for face value again if I can't make it? That would be nice.
I've already had people (that previously wouldn't take them for free) ask to buy a pair as well

SKB
01-10-2014, 06:33 PM
It is the quality of the Football I am excited about. Every game will have some entertaining football to watch.

FluSH
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi...:D

"Alright folks... Now it's our turn to step up!

we can't be crying foul all this time and not show up to the Home Opener - PROPER

Members... Check out the banner section... Now.

We need people, we need banner ideas, we need banner painting days, and we need $$$

There will only be one day that DeFoe & DeRo premier at BMO.... We either make this day into the History books for our club or make it just another day that we showed up to watch a game. I'm going with the former... Get into the section banner section with your contact info and all... When we mobilize ourselves to paint we want to do this en masse on the double."

loconet
01-10-2014, 08:18 PM
The team has buzz again. That's pretty fucking awesome.

Buzz graph agrees... http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%2Fm%2F0cgwt8&date=today%203-m&cmpt=date

Jeffro
01-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Gotta say I'm pretty damn excited to see how this team looks on the field, it might just mean I'll have to move back to Ontario!

flatpicker
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I don't think I've seen the forum in this good a mood since season one.

Abou Sky
01-10-2014, 09:36 PM
winning playoffs isnt even that important to me

I want TFC to bring champions league trophy to Canada!

Ya, I would take that over MLS Cup any day.

Shakes McQueen
01-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Ya, I would take that over MLS Cup any day.

I mean, if we have a realistic chance at it, sure - otherwise I'd much prefer to focus on the MLS Cup. CCL is a much taller order in the later stages.

- Scott

FluSH
01-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Gotta say I'm pretty damn excited to see how this team looks on the field, it might just mean I'll have to move back to Ontario!

We will be missing you Jeffro! But from some of the pics I've seen you're in Paradise!

james
01-12-2014, 06:06 PM
I wasn't even going to keep my seasons as of a couple months ago, but now as the season get closer, I am excited with these signings, I cant wait!!! I hope to make it out to most, if not all the games again, last year was a shit show that I usually couldn't be bothered to mission to Toronto and pay the Go train fee to see another brutal performance.

Couchy81
01-12-2014, 06:09 PM
We have our very own Toronto Postal Service.

Bez and L delivered.

jazzy
01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
I think that there is such a positive attitude coming from around the club...never have I entered a season with so much optimism. TL may have brought in enough to build a winner (or at least a winning record) Imagine a playoff game at BMO....it would be absolutely electric. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but after so many seasons of pain as a TFC (and Newcastle United) supporter...what say we get a little carried away?

worded perfectly.....and damn Newcastle are enjoyable and not quitters, of course Mr. Carver must be overjoyed about us as well . He is true class and a fan of the team......win or lose pure enjoyment this season !!!

jazzy
01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
think winning Canadian Championship , then eventually playing a Mexican team some day with this team......sure why not give it a go..:)

Cuchulain
01-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I have to say I'm happy I didn't give up my seats when I have considered it the last couple of years. I think I went to 3 games last year; I won't miss 3 this year! For the way we woke this league up in '07, I don't think we deserved to wait 7 years to be rewarded. Alas, it looks like our time has come. Still, for me at least, it's going to take more than one MLS cup for me to forgive MLSE for taking us for granted. Us being RPB, U-Sector et al.

DOMIN8R
01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
^ Hey Cuch. Welcome back!

Phil
01-12-2014, 08:03 PM

we can't be crying foul all this time and not show up to the Home Opener - PROPER

We need people, we need banner ideas, we need banner painting days, and we need $$$

There will only be one day that DeFoe & DeRo premier at BMO.... We either make this day into the History books for our club or make it just another day that we showed up to watch a game. I'm going with the former... Get into the section banner section with your contact info and all... When we mobilize ourselves to paint we want to do this en masse on the double."

I will be updating teams on some stuff tomorrow but this....we need to make a statement.

Redcoe15
01-12-2014, 08:09 PM
I booked round trip VIA Rail tickets and two nights at a downtown Toronto hotel for the weekend of the home opener against DC United.

All I need now is one measely ticket in the supporters section - preferably in 112 - and I'll be there.

Anyone help a brother out? g:D

oranje boven
01-12-2014, 08:17 PM
I was disappointed our opener wasn't in Montreal again. Last year we had a great following travel to Montreal. This year if our opener was in Montreal we would have doubled our support and painted that city Red!

Shakes McQueen
01-13-2014, 12:42 PM
In the spirit of enjoying today before we get back to discussing the team's real issues and prospects, feel free to go to Big Soccer and lap up some of the financial envy. :D

- Scott

RealG-TFC
01-13-2014, 01:10 PM
I was disappointed our opener wasn't in Montreal again. Last year we had a great following travel to Montreal. This year if our opener was in Montreal we would have doubled our support and painted that city Red!

I can't wait to play those cocky bastards. I love the city, and try to spend time there whenever i can but man are they are such an annoying fanbase. Di Vaio and Co. won't know what hits them.

Jimmy The Saint
01-13-2014, 01:20 PM
I feel like a little kid going to my first live match. I don't think I have any words for how I am going to be feeling on March 22nd - and I am taking my son Julien. I think we'll both be acting his age that day - 7.

james
01-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Anyone know if the home opener is going to be at BMO Field or the Sky Dome?????

Fort York Redcoat
01-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Anyone know if the home opener is going to be at BMO Field or the Sky Dome?????

BMO field

james
01-13-2014, 02:50 PM
BMO field

hmmm, I wouldn't mind seeing a home opener at sky Dome again, might be able to get a big crowd if the buzz about the team is true. Not to mention with March weather it could be +15 or -5 and snow still. Well worst part is the wind to, wind can be bad anytime of year by the lake, but that time can be very cold and windy.

Oh well it is what it is , we need to support rain, wind, snow or sun, come on REDS!

Cuchulain
01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
^ Hey Cuch. Welcome back!

Thanks Bro! Didn't really go anywhere but have been quiet for a couple of ....years. Looking forward to the this season.

Yohan
01-13-2014, 09:52 PM
start the parade!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDbDVa_eCs

ensco
01-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Seriously, across all sports - has there ever been a bigger day in Toronto sports history, in terms of new signings?

Flipityflu
01-13-2014, 10:12 PM
i feel like i should have cooked turkey today.

Richard
01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Seriously, across all sports - has there ever been a bigger day in Toronto sports history, in terms of new signings?

This could be a Vince Carter level excitement/hype, I think that's all that is left to top.

ManUtd4ever
01-13-2014, 10:32 PM

It's a tough call. The Jays trade with the Marlins last year was huge at the time.

In terms of new signings though, today would rank as the biggest in my opinion, simply because of the wow factor. A former laughingstock of a second tier league pays record transfer fees to acquire players of the calibre of Defoe and Bradley from two legendary clubs in Tottenham and AS Roma.

Even after all the pomp and circumstance celebrating their arrival today, I'm still in shock. It probably won't sink in until I see them on the pitch in TFC kits.

Flipityflu
01-13-2014, 11:05 PM
i was actually going to mention the McGriff/Fernandez trade for Carter/Alomar.

ensco
01-13-2014, 11:12 PM
The Marlins trade was different. A bunch of question mark guys on big contracts and, except for Reyes, everyone on short term deals. Although getting Reyes was no small thing, the fact that it was a trade diminished the signalling impact. Nobody had any choice in the matter.

The only thing I can think of that really is similar is the Jays signing Roger Clemens. Or maybe the Argos signing Rocket Ismail or Terry Metcalf (not many here will be old enough to know that last one, but boy was it massive at the time)

boozilla
01-14-2014, 01:37 AM
The Doug Gilmour trade was pretty big and worked out.
I get the hype, but after 7 years of TFC futility, simple logic demands room for cynicism.
That said, at year 1 prices, it's a cheap chance to take.

Cashcleaner
01-14-2014, 02:02 AM

Honestly? That's a tough one. I remember when Gretzky was finished in LA and everyone and their mom in the Toronto sports media figured he would find his way here. That news went on for a while even though he eventually went to St. Louis. More recently, I'd say the multiple Jays signings at the start of last season were big news as well.

Without a doubt, they are the biggest MLS signings of the year, though; and most soccer fans in Canada are probably well aware of that fact. :D

lobo
01-14-2014, 02:22 AM
The Doug Gilmour trade was pretty big and worked out.
I get the hype, but after 7 years of TFC futility, simple logic demands room for cynicism.
That said, at year 1 prices, it's a cheap chance to take.

fuck i loved the day gilmour became a Leaf, i'll never forget it, he was already one of my all-time-favourite-good-guys ... and i must admit, i got a boner yesterday too

BONER

GuelphStorm2007
01-14-2014, 03:02 AM
I am looking forward to the nw season also but we got two diffilcult road games to start. Seattle is not a easy place to start, and our third game is in Salt Lake a place TFC have akways had major bad luck.

OgtheDim
01-14-2014, 07:46 AM
I would not be surprised if Defoe misses that first game in Settle.

Wince
01-14-2014, 10:22 AM

I would prefer if he did to be honest. I think we should bench all our key players in games where there is turf. All we need is another Koevs level of injury.

Sorry, I'm just super paranoid.

ManUtd4ever
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM
MLS should have abolished artificial field turf. It's a disgrace to the game, and it puts players at risk.

lanarkist
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
MLS should have abolished artificial field turf. It's a disgrace to the game, and it puts players at risk.

I was looking at it yesterday because I was curious where Turf was still being used, and I was surprised that there are only four left. Considering three of the four are in the west, I'm not totally opposed to resting guys in those games, except they are three top teams in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver (New England being the one other). The problem for the league banning it though is that two of those are shared facilities with the Seahawks and the Patriots who aren't going to start putting grass in their stadium because the league says so, and BC Place isn't going to go to the expense of putting grass inside. I have no idea why Portland however hasn't made the switch to grass, that one is beyond me.

Canary10
01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Loving that the buzz is back.

It feels a lot like when you cheat on your girlfriend because you're bored and maybe even a little bit disgusted and then she finds out and you're like, 'shit that was a big mistake, why'd I do that,' and you spend the next few months trying to get her back and when she finally says yes and you have sex again and you're like, 'wow that was almost as good as it was the first time.'

Amirite guys?

Detroit_TFC
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM

Could do without the 90 min on turf but playing in front of big crowd at CLink might make a good impression. Should be in the squad even if he only gets a cameo.

InDa_110
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Flush, do you know the guy who has the Section 110 Banner?

InDa_110
01-14-2014, 03:07 PM
The one in my avatar

Fort York Redcoat
01-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Loving that the buzz is back.

It feels a lot like when you cheat on your girlfriend because you're bored and maybe even a little bit disgusted and then she finds out and you're like, 'shit that was a big mistake, why'd I do that,' and you spend the next few months trying to get her back and when she finally says yes and you have sex again and you're like, 'wow that was almost as good as it was the first time.'

Amirite guys?

You are a terrible person.

http://cf067b.medialib.glogster.com/media/3b/3b0badbc3beb34f4bf5b0cd9b5a1d8afd9885b392e55aa9fba dd0a14f879a808/dane-cook12.jpg

Just kidding. But really.g:D

Mark in Ottawa
01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Strange for the TFC fans here in Ottawa. Amazed that TFC seems to be moving forward with so few "bumps in the road" so to speak on the run up to TFC 8.0. It is an amazing time, the buzz is back and this could be an amazing season.

Meanwhile, in Division 2, our newly minted team Ottawa Fury FC continues to take form. A good coaching staff and management team with a clear vision of the type of team they want to field and where they want to be a few years down the road. A chance to start building more of a local supporters culture from the ground up.

So much excitement ... yeah bring on the spring ... I can't wait!

VoxPopuliCosmicum
01-15-2014, 10:56 AM
The Marlins trade was different. A bunch of question mark guys on big contracts and, except for Reyes, everyone on short term deals. Although getting Reyes was no small thing, the fact that it was a trade diminished the signalling impact. Nobody had any choice in the matter.

The only thing I can think of that really is similar is the Jays signing Roger Clemens. Or maybe the Argos signing Rocket Ismail or Terry Metcalf (not many here will be old enough to know that last one, but boy was it massive at the time)

Good call on drawing a parallel with the Rocket Ismail signing. IMO, that was similarly huge, and had a number of other similarities to the Defoe/Bradley signings (e.g. celebrity crossover endorsement, PT Barnum-esque ownership, pissed-off Americans). It's also a very bad omen for the present case, both generally (because it didn't turn out to be a renaissance move for the Argos) and specifically (because I wouldn't be completely shocked if Tim L were to end up in jail for fraudulent coin collecting).

RealG-TFC
01-15-2014, 11:14 AM
imagine Gilberto scres one of these early on at BMO? I know we have all seen this but still, makes me all giddy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=paRBWwJ_zbs

Oldtimer
01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I am now officially dropping the dollar sign when mentioning the ownership group (i.e. ML$E will now be MLSE). They have put winning ahead of immediate profits, something that never happened when Teachers' Pension Fund owned the club.

jloome
01-15-2014, 06:05 PM
imagine Gilberto scres one of these early on at BMO? I know we have all seen this but still, makes me all giddy.

Jesus Christ. That is sick.

And people need to calm it on the "well the Brazilian league isn't defensive" stuff. Brazilian football is some of the dirtiest, nastiest tackling football you've ever seen. We used to get it regularly when I lived in Angola, and you'd sometimes see more stretchers than cards in a game, particularly Flamengo vs Santos or another big old rivalry. It's a much tougher league than people think.

tfcleeds
01-15-2014, 10:07 PM

Hahaha. That's awesome. I lived in Recife for a few years (where Nautico is based) but was a Santa Cruz fan. Quite the rivalry. But we both hated Sport, which was considered the #1 team in the city.

Solo La Maglia
01-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Bannnnner time

Yohan
01-15-2014, 10:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6omFaXXvlJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBpBfFCYn_U

Yohan
01-15-2014, 10:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNL50pdMZ1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25fEOzAadJc

Yohan