PDA

View Full Version : Some positives to this point of the year

CoachGT
07-21-2008, 07:19 AM
With all of the comments the last few days, it seems time for a little positive about the season:

9 league games at home unbeaten, and only two goals against during that span! BMO truly is a FORTRESS!
6 wins this year at the halfway point, as many as the whole season last year
We’ve already scored 9 in seven games on the road this year, one more than we had all of last year!
22 points just after halfway, compared to 25 for last year!
We have depth at midfield that we haven’t had before – Robert, Guevara, Ricketts, Robinson, Edu
This year, no stretch of six weeks with no home games!
Games against Canadian teams!
Still in the hunt for the Champions League!
Ibbe, who looks like he’s got a sound future!
Carver and a creative coaching staff!
The Academy, both for development for the future and already giving solid performances!
Relaxed International rules this year
90 minutes of chanting at many games, both home and away
It may not be seen this way by everybody, but the All Star game is a tribute to the Toronto fans, getting it in the second year of the franchise is a big deal!
And half a season yet to go!

It’s easy to get caught up in the negatives, especially when we hope for better results. We’d have been happy to have been in this position if someone had told us this is where we'd be at the All Star break back in mid February!

Oldtimer
07-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Winsper. he's made a big difference in the injury dept, even though we're still stuck with Turf.

Kevvv
07-21-2008, 08:46 AM
You said it coach. Half a season left to go, and we've seen what the team is capable of.

Flipityflu
07-21-2008, 08:54 AM
you forgot...

we can cross the ball

Fort York Redcoat
07-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice one, Coach. I'm looking at lasts seasons results right now and I'm willing to out on a limb and say we'll surpass the 6 pts we got in the last half of the season.:o

shaggingscot
07-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Finally some perspective....good on ya coach

Carts
07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Definitely agree with all the positives - and damn that was nice to read... Beauty Coach...

I also agree with Oldtimer, Winsper training the guys is keeping them more fit & healthy (knock wood)...

Carts...

Rawkus_420
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
You said it coach. Half a season left to go, and we've seen what the team is capable of.

Everybody is mad about us not winning lately....Don't forget if the playoffs were today, we would still be in them, just barely, but we would be. carvers goal this season was to make the playoffs...he said that right from the get go. anything beyond that will be great.

giambac
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
With all of the comments the last few days, it seems time for a little positive about the season:

9 league games at home unbeaten, and only two goals against during that span! BMO truly is a FORTRESS!
We’ve already scored 9 in seven games on the road this year, one more than we had all of last year!
We have depth at midfield that we haven’t had before – Robert, Guevara, Ricketts, Robinson, Edu
The Academy, both for development for the future and already giving solid performances!
It may not be seen this way by everybody, but the All Star game is a tribute to the Toronto fans, getting it in the second year of the franchise is a big deal!
It’s easy to get caught up in the negatives, especially when we hope for better results. We’d have been happy to have been in this position if someone had told us this is where we'd be at the All Star break back in mid February!

I agree that there are positives, however you have to be realistic and look at the overall picture

1) 9 game regular season unbeaten streak. True, however 4 of those games were draws including a game vs KC who at the time were in last place and the expansion SJ.
2) A home loss to Vancouver of the USELESS soccer league
3) TFC is still in the CC Cup. What is that saying. There were only 3 teams in the tourny to begin with and we currently sit in 2nd place WOW!!. WE couldn't beat Vancouver in the 2 games we played. We should be killing the teams from the USeless soccer league.
4) This team still can't win or draw on the road

5) Please look at the standings last year after 16 games. Our record was basically the same as it is now. So don't give me the argument that we already have 22 points and last year we had 25 in total. Last year the team went in a season ending slump. In the current season we haven't won in the past 8 games (MLS, friendlies and CC games). We are in a slump now and the raod only gets tougher down the stretch

6) still no striker and still can't score goals.
7) I don't beleive Carver is a creative coach. quite the opposite. He changes his starting lineup to much and doesn't allow his best 11 players to gel as a unit.

There are positives but I think people are fooling themselve sif they think this team is miles ahead of last year.

TheRenter
07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

awesome, this is real refreshing; a 'breath of fresh air' compared to the saturation of hot air that is so prevalent most days

cheers

NB the post referencing Winsper is also right on & well deserved

CoachGT
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
There are positives but I think people are fooling themselve sif they think this team is miles ahead of last year.

I think you find what you are looking for. I, too, have been disappointed by the draws against teams that we should have beaten, but last year, those probably would have been losses. But that's not the point here. Too much seems doom and gloom, and after all, we are a supporters group!

Miles ahead of last year? Maybe not, but I think we have done alright.

Looking over the remainder of the schedule, I think that we have a pretty good shot at the teams that are yet to come. Even with the olympics and the players we are about to lose. And given that we are not facing the lack of depth, in part caused (as much as I hate to say it) by Canadian players who have not yet reached a par with players from other countries, and the injury situation that we faced last year, I think there is reason to be optimistic.

Can we use a striker? Damn right! Two even! But I do believe that to be in the works and we have to live with what we have until it happens.

And I stand by the comment above that if you had said this is where we'd be back in February, I'd have taken this in a heartbeat. Toronto til I die!

ManUtd4ever
07-21-2008, 02:30 PM
I am looking forward to a strong finish to the season following a tough stretch during the olympics. I'm certain that reinforcements will be added upfront in the coming weeks to help bolster TFC's late season charge into the playoffs...